PDA

View Full Version : Should Cal Poly play Wisconsin

JALMOND
November 12th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I usually don't like starting threads like this (I have a tendency to show off my ignorance), but I have been wondering about this. My question, as the topic of this thread is, Should Cal Poly go ahead and play Wisconsin or try to get out of it and try to schedule a FCS team this late in the year. It seems more evident to me that, aside from the money, it is a losing proposition for the Mustangs. Playing in a non-autobid conference, Cal Poly is basically at the mercy of the committee anyway. How would the committee look if the Mustangs were to lose their last game (even with it being Wisconsin)? How would it look if the Mustangs were blown out (lose by 4+ touchdowns) by Wisconsin right before the playoffs? What kind of weight would the Mustangs be able to swing with the committee if they were to win the game (would the committee say, well Wisconsin is having a down year)? Would it be better for the Mustangs if they could get out of it and schedule an FCS team (Prairie View will have played only 10 games and has an open date that weekend)? Would that be better for Cal Poly, and possibly Prairie View as well?

Just wanted to open it for discussion.

Silenoz
November 12th, 2008, 01:04 AM
You can do that?

Maybe I'm too drunk to realize some hidden joke here :p

JALMOND
November 12th, 2008, 01:08 AM
You can do that?

Gives me another chance to show off my ignorance.:D xlolx

If it was possible given this late in the year.

uofmman1122
November 12th, 2008, 01:10 AM
The loss won't hurt them.

If it somehow does, then the committee would basically be saying that it weighs losses to FBS teams as the same as losses to FCS teams, and if that's the case, there are many other teams besides Poly who deserve to be punished. xcoffeex

MaximumBobcat
November 12th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Definitely play Wisconsin. The Badgers are playing .500 ball this year, with three loses being 3 points or less. The are a a pretty decent FBS team...even if they lose by 4 TD's, I don't think CalPoly should be left out of the playoffs. Maybe if it was 77-0 then you've got an argument, but until then...nada.

JALMOND
November 12th, 2008, 01:13 AM
You can do that?

What I get for trying to branch out beyond my comfort zone. To go somewhere where I don't know anything from somewhere where I only know next to nothing.xlolx

FargoBison
November 12th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I'm sure their contract with Wisconsin includes a huge fine for backing out, especially this late and also you don't back out on a FBS team the stature of Wisconsin two weeks before you play them.

Green Laser
November 12th, 2008, 02:44 AM
There is no way that Poly will back out of playing Wisconsin. My only question is why would you schedule a FBS team for the final game of the season when you knew that your team was a playoff contender.
It will be a dangerous game for Poly not so much the score, but the possibility of getting the starters beat up for the playoffs.

coover
November 12th, 2008, 02:49 AM
In a Great West Football Conference thread about Poly's upcoming game with U Cal Davis, I said ...

"If Wisconsin goes to a big lead early, those guys (Cal Poly's starters) won't play much, but if it is tight, or if Poly goes to the lead, you'll see the leading starters in their giving it there best. Poly will want to beat Wisconsin and will give it their best try. But if Wisconsin shows they are very much the superior team, Poly will look ahead to the next week. That is where their future lies."

I do not believe a loss to Wisconsin will cause the playoff committee to decide that Poly does not deserve a playoff spot. If Poly loses to Wisconsin, they'll still be 7-2 vs. Division I opposition, the loses to a very good FBS team (probably as good as any FCS team) and to (certainly) one of the best existing FCS teams. Besides, Poly needs the money Wisconsin is giving them to improve their athletic facilities.

I hope Poly beats Wisconsin and believe they are good enough to have a chance (ask Appy if it is possible). But any Big 10 team should always be able to beat any FCS team.

Tod
November 12th, 2008, 02:53 AM
There is no way that Poly will back out of playing Wisconsin. My only question is why would you schedule a FBS team for the final game of the season when you knew that your team was a playoff contender.
It will be a dangerous game for Poly not so much the score, but the possibility of getting the starters beat up for the playoffs.

Been here many times with the "Scheduled themselves out of the playoff" threads. And it's true. Some teams do.

Let's hope Cal Poly isn't one of them.

And let's hope they get sent to the East Coast for some reason. ;)

MR. CHICKEN
November 12th, 2008, 05:27 AM
COST GEORGIA SOUTHERN......WHEN DEY SKEDDED...WHY-OMIN'...xnodx...AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
November 12th, 2008, 06:03 AM
COST...GEORGIA [email protected] STATE....:(.....DOODLE-DOO!

beauvighn
November 12th, 2008, 07:46 AM
There are 400,000 reason's that cal poly will not cancel. Not sure how smart it was to cancel this game at the end of the season. Wofford plays them next year in week 3.

Not sure if they cancel they could find another game. I think most teams probably have a game already

Rob Iola
November 12th, 2008, 07:49 AM
And maybe Poly can retroactively back out of this year's home game against a hot n' cold Montana?

MplsBison
November 12th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Even if it does not cost them a trip the playoffs, it could still have a huge cost in health and confidence if the team really takes a pounding.

Wisconsin likes to pound the ball.

poly51
November 12th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I usually don't like starting threads like this (I have a tendency to show off my ignorance), but I have been wondering about this. My question, as the topic of this thread is, Should Cal Poly go ahead and play Wisconsin or try to get out of it and try to schedule a FCS team this late in the year. It seems more evident to me that, aside from the money, it is a losing proposition for the Mustangs. Playing in a non-autobid conference, Cal Poly is basically at the mercy of the committee anyway. How would the committee look if the Mustangs were to lose their last game (even with it being Wisconsin)? How would it look if the Mustangs were blown out (lose by 4+ touchdowns) by Wisconsin right before the playoffs? What kind of weight would the Mustangs be able to swing with the committee if they were to win the game (would the committee say, well Wisconsin is having a down year)? Would it be better for the Mustangs if they could get out of it and schedule an FCS team (Prairie View will have played only 10 games and has an open date that weekend)? Would that be better for Cal Poly, and possibly Prairie View as well?

$500,000 from Wisconsin. I don't think you would find an FCS team to pay that. Never turn down an opportunity to play a BCS game. App State is more famous for beating Michigan in the Big House than 3 National Championships.

Rekdiver
November 12th, 2008, 12:02 PM
tkae the money and beat them like we did Michigan and LSU.....uh, uh...just take money.......

slostang
November 12th, 2008, 12:02 PM
The only reason Cal Poly took the Wisconsin game so late in the season is they had little choice. Cal Poly was sitting at 9 games in a season that the NCAA allows 12 games. Cal Poly had already contacted every FCS team multiple times and could not get a 10th, 11th or 12th game. Wisconsin called and offered Cal Poly $500,000. That check helped Cal Poly pay a big enough guarantee to bring in NCCU to get to 11 games. They had also hope to add a 12th game, but could find any takers.

So......Cal Poly choice was take the Wisconsin game late and be able to add a 10th and 11th game.....or.......have 9 games (one a non counter against South Dakota) and schedule two DII teams to get to 11 games which put their playoff chances in jepordy. I think Cal Poly made the right choice even though it was a tough one.

malibudude
November 12th, 2008, 12:07 PM

Being beat handily by a FBS team certainly has not hurt our current ranked #1 or #2. Poly will play to win.

Grizzaholic
November 12th, 2008, 12:09 PM

That right there is a good point. What happens if you lose a WR, QB or an OL guy or two in the game? I know injuries happen but to get one the last game of the regular season right before the playoffs can put a team down for the count.

Rob Iola
November 12th, 2008, 12:09 PM
$500K can probably buy a committee vote or 2...

nmatsen
November 12th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Well, I still have no clue how JMU is ranked so high after losing to a Duke team as badly as they did, granted Duke is much improved, but it is still Duke. I would like to think that the Best FCS team can beat Duke. Not saying UNI is the best FCS team, but I think others are better. If not App State. No one wants any part of App State right now, not even JMU at home again.

Again, you all think I am crazy but a 7-2 (in the eyes of the committe) will be a bubble team. They might get in, but are still a bubble team.

RabidRabbit
November 12th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Well, I still have no clue how JMU is ranked so high after losing to a Duke team as badly as they did, granted Duke is much improved, but it is still Duke. I would like to think that the Best FCS team can beat Duke. Not saying UNI is the best FCS team, but I think others are better. If not App State. No one wants any part of App State right now, not even JMU at home again.

Again, you all think I am crazy but a 7-2 (in the eyes of the committe) will be a bubble team. They might get in, but are still a bubble team.

A bubble team with 1 of the 2 FCS vs FBS wins this season. That's a pretty strong positive to getting selected.

LehighFan11
November 12th, 2008, 01:14 PM

Man losses @ Wisconsin and home to Montana...what a crime. UNI has 2 losses that are basically equal to Poly's losses. Both teams beat SDSU, so UNI is a lock because of wins over NDSU, YSU, etc, but Poly isn't? Please. Both UNI and Poly are locks at 2 losses.

headdressguy
November 12th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Even if possible, they shouldn't back out for a couple reasons:

1) It's a house money game. I don't think there's any way the committee knocks you for losing to a Big Ten school, but if you win you strengthen the argument for a high seed and gain a ton of intangible confidence.

2) Backing out of a game like this, in the middle of November, would seriously cripple you for future scheduling. The next time you're lookinng for a money game with an FBS school, they'd look at you hanging Wisconsin out to dry and say "thanks, but no thanks." I really think it would get you blackballed by the FBS establishment. Not only would that hurt the program financially, but West Coast FCS teams have a hard enough time filling their schedules as is. You don't want to be closing any scheduling doors for the future.

Grizzaholic
November 12th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Even if possible, they shouldn't back out for a couple reasons:

1) It's a house money game. I don't think there's any way the committee knocks you for losing to a Big Ten school, but if you win you strengthen the argument for a high seed and gain a ton of intangible confidence.

2) Backing out of a game like this, in the middle of November, would seriously cripple you for future scheduling. The next time you're lookinng for a money game with an FBS school, they'd look at you hanging Wisconsin out to dry and say "thanks, but no thanks." I really think it would get you blackballed by the FBS establishment. Not only would that hurt the program financially, but West Coast FCS teams have a hard enough time filling their schedules as is. You don't want to be closing any scheduling doors for the future.

Another great point.

19Duke97
November 12th, 2008, 02:19 PM

xcoffeex Um So I guess beating App st, @Villanova, @Richmond, UMASS, @Maine, is not good enough for you? They get another top 10 team this weekend to prove their worth to you, though they prob don't seek it. JMU has no issue playing App State again, if we do it will most likely be for the national championship. The Duke game was the first of the season, and as stated they are much improved, and at halftime it was 14-7. Yes it is embarrassing, but it does not make or break a team's season just as CP will not be judged by the Wisconsin game.

GrizFanIRAQ
November 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM
CP cancelled game with McNeese St. will hurt their playoff rankings more than a loss to Wisconsin

Native
November 12th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Kudos to Cal Poly for scheduling Wisconsin. xthumbsupx

The should keep the existing schedule and I hope they win! xsmiley_wix

IF they win, Cal Poly deserves a seed! xnodx

BUT I agree that it was an extreme bonehead move to schedule Wisconsin as the last regularly scheduled game of the season. xsmhx

Native
November 12th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Man losses @ Wisconsin and home to Montana...what a crime. UNI has 2 losses that are basically equal to Poly's losses. Both teams beat SDSU, so UNI is a lock because of wins over NDSU, YSU, etc, but Poly isn't? Please. Both UNI and Poly are locks at 2 losses.

Locks for the playoffs, yes, but not for a seed, UNLESS Cal Poly beats Wisconsin, in which case there should be no argument. xsmiley_wix

catatac
November 12th, 2008, 03:21 PM

People say that a lot but there is absolutely no proof that playing up increases your chance of injury... in fact some coaches (Rob Ash included) say it works the opposite, in that you're more likely to get injuries while playing down, due to technique not being as good. We played Kansas State this year and did not sustain one injury. We just played NAU and suffered 4 season-ending injuries. It's just luck of the draw.

Poly Pigskin
November 12th, 2008, 03:24 PM

BUT I agree that it was an extreme bonehead move to schedule Wisconsin as the last regularly scheduled game of the season. xsmhx

Did you read slostang's post? It's not really that boneheaded when you look at the alternatives. It's far from ideal, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

slostang
November 12th, 2008, 03:33 PM

Let's go over this again.......

The only reason Cal Poly took the Wisconsin game so late in the season is they had little choice. Cal Poly was sitting at 9 games in a season that the NCAA allows 12 games. Cal Poly had already contacted every FCS team multiple times and could not get a 10th, 11th or 12th game. Wisconsin called and offered Cal Poly $500,000. That check helped Cal Poly pay a big enough guarantee to bring in NCCU to get to 11 games. They had also hope to add a 12th game, but could find any takers.

So......Cal Poly choice was take the Wisconsin game late and be able to add a 10th and 11th game.....or.......have 9 games (one a non counter against South Dakota) and schedule two DII teams to get to 11 games which put their playoff chances in jepordy. I think Cal Poly made the right choice even though it was a tough one.

It is a little easier for Weber State to schedule seeing that they have 9 teams in their conference. They start each year looking to sign three OOC games. Cal Poly had three conference games on this schedule this season and needed to sign EIGHT to NINE OOC games. They did what they had to do to fill the schedule. Nothing bone head about it if you have no other choices.