PDA

View Full Version : Nominations for Best Losing Team

ngineer
November 11th, 2008, 10:29 PM
With Lehigh having a 'remarkable' year with a guaranteed losing season, having lost last week to Colgate, 34-33, has caused me to wonder who is the 'best' team out there with a losing record. The Mountain Hawks, now 3-6, have lost four of their games by a TOTAL of 8 points (Princeton 13-10, Cornell 25-24, Harvard 27-24, and Colgate 34-33) with the Princeton and Cornell losses coming on the last play of the game. So I'd be interested to hear of any other nominations for the best hard luck team out there this year.
FWIW, the last time Lehigh had back to back losing seasons was 1996 and 1997 going 5-6 and 4-7 under Kevin Higgins before embarking on their amazing four year run of going, 12-1, 10-2, 12-1 and 11-1 including playoffs. The 1997 season was full of close losses as well.
Hey, this may be part of my therapy. I'm looking for silver linings anywhere I can find them...:o

sharkeycox
November 11th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I nominate Nichols State. Hurricane battered and beat the #11 team on back to back weekends. xrulesx

malibudude
November 11th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Southern Utah TBirds at 4-5, watch out next year.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 11th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Eastern. Can we say Bipolar?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 11th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Southern Utah TBirds at 4-5, watch out next year.

I second it, these guys play a tough schedule every year and they are improving.

dbackjon
November 11th, 2008, 11:39 PM
SUU

uofmman1122
November 12th, 2008, 12:34 AM
SUU definitely.

Could give UNI quite a scare in two weeks.

UNHFootballAlum
November 12th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Northeastern

Skjellyfetti
November 12th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Citadel

Silenoz
November 12th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Eastern Washington or Northeastern, though they seem to be struggling as of late. Well, struggling more so

ASU
November 12th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Georgia Southern ....... hands down..........check out all their OT games and one point or so losses.

Skjellyfetti
November 12th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Georgia Southern ....... hands down..........check out all their OT games and one point or so losses.

Georgia Southern is 5-5 right now. If they have a losing record next week or at the end of the season, they'd have my vote (that would take a lost to UT Chattanooga, however).

bpcats
November 12th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I would give a vote to Northern Colorado. They have won 1 game so far, but lost 3 games on the last play of the game. They have improved a ton from last year even if their record doesn't show it.

GolfingGriz
November 12th, 2008, 02:09 AM
If UC Davis has a losing record, their not too bad.

GolfingGriz
November 12th, 2008, 02:11 AM
UC Davis could move into this category with a loss to Poly this weekend. They would get my vote if that happens, but as of now SUU.

Tod
November 12th, 2008, 02:14 AM
I would give a vote to Northern Colorado. They have won 1 game so far, but lost 3 games on the last play of the game. They have improved a ton from last year even if their record doesn't show it.

But they won one game last year, too. SUU is 4-5, with three of them being D-I wins (I believe UND counts this year, if not, still).

They were winless last year, albeit against the toughest schedule in FCS.

I do hope UNC continues to improve. I agree they are better than they were last year.

Seems Northeastern has played everyone tough.

coover
November 12th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Southern Utah University. They may even vie for a playoff spot next year.

Besides, the most exciting thing in Cedar City (other than football) is a trip to the Donut Shop. They need the football team.

Tribe4SF
November 12th, 2008, 06:31 AM
UC Davis could move into this category with a loss to Poly this weekend. They would get my vote if that happens, but as of now SUU.

UC Davis was beaten by Northeastern, who gets my vote.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 12th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Northeastern.

CamelCityAppFan
November 12th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Samford. They've played above expectations this year, glad they've been added to the conference.

AtlantaMountaineer
November 12th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Georgia Southern is 5-5 right now. If they have a losing record next week or at the end of the season, they'd have my vote (that would take a lost to UT Chattanooga, however).

Georgian Southern has already beaten UT Chattanooga. If they lose to Furman this week they will be 5-6.

Khan4Cats
November 12th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I have to nominate INDIANA STATE.

They have made losing an art form and have to be the absolute best at it.

gr8ness97
November 12th, 2008, 12:56 PM
We are kinda like that...losing 5 games by 14 or less...:(

but winning the last 2 (Formerly Ranked Hampton and defending champs Del State) :D

Grizzaholic
November 12th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Glad to see some posters jump on the SUU bandwagon that I have been pulling since last year.

WrenFGun
November 12th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Eastern Washington is easily the most talented losing team.

Northeastern also warrants mentioning. I liked what I saw out of SUU when I watched the Poly game.

yosef1969
November 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM

They'll always be losers to me! Especially since Foster singlehandedly ended the streak at KBS!

DSUrocks07
November 12th, 2008, 01:59 PM

this

19Duke97
November 12th, 2008, 02:03 PM

I'll second that one... though I guess they fall in as best with a non-winning record right now.

LU73
November 12th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Ask 4 teams (Princeton, Cornell, Harvard, and Colgate) in which game this year they were the most fortunate to have escaped with a win. They have got to all name the same opposing team - Lehigh!

crusader11
November 12th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Ask 4 teams (Princeton, Cornell, Harvard, and Colgate) in which game this year they were the most fortunate to have escaped with a win. They have got to all name the same opposing team - Lehigh!

Harvard would say Holy Cross...no question about that one. Harvard was beating Lehigh all game, while HC had Harvard on the ropes in the 4th quarter. We were winning 24-12 with about 9 minutes left until we absolutely collapsed and choked that one away.

DetroitFlyer
November 12th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Harvard would say Holy Cross...no question about that one. Harvard was beating Lehigh all game, while HC had Harvard on the ropes in the 4th quarter. We were winning 24-12 with about 9 minutes left until we absolutely collapsed and choked that one away.

Pretty much trademark Holy Cross football.

crusader11
November 12th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Pretty much trademark Holy Cross football.

How so? Care to explain...

crusader11
November 12th, 2008, 02:57 PM
OK Flyer, deleting your posts now? Eating your words? I suggest doing that more often on the boards here.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 12th, 2008, 03:04 PM
This should be a poll. Who do we have so far?

SUU, Eastern Washington, Northeastern, Citadel, GSU?, UC-Davis

Eaglegus2
November 12th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I want to give some love to Savannah State...........they may not be the best team with a losing record but they have won 4 games so far this year. In two or three years, I see Savannah State making some noise in FCS.

cmaxwellgsu
November 12th, 2008, 03:38 PM
They'll always be losers to me! Especially since Foster singlehandedly ended the streak at KBS!

That kind of bitterness is sustaining me throught this rough patch!xsmiley_wix

gr8ness97
November 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM
this

I notice some hate in ur Siggy :p

dasjamin
November 12th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Indiana State

patssle
November 12th, 2008, 05:08 PM
SHSU

#10 offense in the FCS, yet kicks field goals at the 1 yard line, and runs the ball 4 times 1st and goal. Has shown multiple instances of not changing gameplan when something is not working. Clearly lacking coaching intelligence, but not talent.

Go...gate
November 12th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Iona - for not giving up despite the a$$holes in their administration.

BEAR
November 12th, 2008, 05:59 PM
How about UCA at 8-2. Yeah, I know it's a winning record, but the NCAA has gauranteed a losing season with no playoffs and no conference championship....might as well have forfieted the season. xlolx

No seriously, I'll nominate SHSU....spend 10 minutes on one drive and punt it away in the redzone...xlolx xlolx xlolx (winner winner chicken dinner) xlolx

patssle
November 12th, 2008, 06:39 PM
No seriously, I'll nominate SHSU....spend 10 minutes on one drive and punt it away in the redzone...

What? When did we do that? We've kicked field goals inside the 5 yard line several times, but I don't recall a punt in the redzone.

cmaxwellgsu
November 12th, 2008, 06:57 PM

Don't count us out in Greenville just yet. We kind of owe the Purple Pansies.xsmiley_wix

Seawolf97
November 12th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Iona - for not giving up despite the a$$holes in their administration.

I second that-They are a gutsy group. Hope they stay afloatxpeacex

appstate1998
November 12th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I'll say Dayton. Although they do not have a losing record...you have to consider their season an utter failure....I mean they can't even get in the top 50 of the GPI and only have one loss. But a loss to Duquesne is grounds for shutting down your football program all together.

ngineer
November 12th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I feel a little better now, not being alone....:D

HensRock
November 12th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Delaware.

UD's schedule includes FBS Maryland plus SEVEN Ranked FCS opponents.
They are 4-0 against the other teams on the schedule. Every team they have lost to is currently ranked in the top 25.

Fear The Beard
November 12th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Dittos on Samford.

coover
November 13th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I'll say Dayton. Although they do not have a losing record...you have to consider their season an utter failure....

That is what happens when you schedule nothing but bad High School or college Junior Varsity teams.

smcwildcat
November 13th, 2008, 12:12 AM
northeastern

PhoenixSupreme
November 13th, 2008, 12:19 AM

I'm with ya there...you also have to consider the conference they are in as well.

MR. CHICKEN
November 13th, 2008, 05:52 AM
GOTTAH GO WHIFF...NOR'EASTER......SEVEN AWAY GAMES.......AN A.D....WHO MUST BE INTAH...S&M.....FO' DUH.......RE-DICK-O-LIS.... BRUTALITY.......IN HIS APPROACH TA FILLIN' OUT UH SKED....(WOODN'T BLAME ROCKY......IFIN' HE CLUBBED HIM...WHIFF AN EMPTY...SAM ADAMS!)........UNDEFEATED & RANKED...BALL STATE....OT LOSS TA GA. SO. .........4 POINT DINKER TA UMA$$......DOWN BAH 12...TA N/HAMPSHIRE......6 POINTS AWAY....FROM DISSIN' 'NOVA.....DOWN BAH 9 TA 'CUSE....SCALPED BAH DUH TRIBE.....MAULED BAH MAINE.....DAT 6 TEAMS RANKED IN DUH POLL....2 FBS'S.......UC DAVIS...(CAIN'T REMEBER IFIN' EVER RANKED)......MISSED DERE MAMA'S....FO' SEVEN WEEKS.....YEAH....GOTTAH BE.......DUH HUSKIES.............OR.......HENS ROCK...IS RIGHT ON WHIFF......DUH BLUEHENS.........SECOND MOST BRUTAL SKED IN ALL DUH I-AA LAND..(CHATTANOOGAH #1).......DEPLETED DEFENSE.....INJURIES..DAT WOOD KEEP UH......MASH UNIT..HOPPIN'......NO O.....IN DELAWARE.......G'DAY MATES.....:(.....BRAWK/OBAMA!

ngineer
November 13th, 2008, 07:36 AM
GOTTAH GO WHIFF...NOR'EASTER......SEVEN AWAY GAMES.......AN A.D....WHO MUST BE INTAH...S&M.....FO' DUH.......RE-DICK-O-LIS.... BRUTALITY.......IN HIS APPROACH TA FILLIN' OUT UH SKED....(WOODN'T BLAME ROCKY......IFIN' HE CLUBBED HIM...WHIFF AN EMPTY...SAM ADAMS!)........UNDEFEATED & RANKED...BALL STATE....OT LOSS TA GA. SO. .........4 POINT DINKER TA UMA$$......DOWN BAH 12...TA N/HAMPSHIRE......6 POINTS AWAY....FROM DISSIN' 'NOVA.....DOWN BAH 9 TA 'CUSE....SCALPED BAH DUH TRIBE.....MAULED BAH MAINE.....DAT 6 TEAMS RANKED IN DUH POLL....2 FBS'S.......UC DAVIS...(CAIN'T REMEBER IFIN' EVER RANKED)......MISSED DERE MAMA'S....FO' SEVEN WEEKS.....YEAH....GOTTAH BE.......DUH HUSKIES.............OR.......HENS ROCK...IS RIGHT ON WHIFF......DUH BLUEHENS.........SECOND MOST BRUTAL SKED IN ALL DUH I-AA LAND..(CHATTANOOGAH #1).......DEPLETED DEFENSE.....INJURIES..DAT WOOD KEEP UH......MASH UNIT..HOPPIN'......NO O.....IN DELAWARE.......G'DAY MATES.....:(.....BRAWK/OBAMA!

Tough to argue with dat...to the extent it is understood ;) No question on the last comment.xthumbsupx

PTW16
November 13th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I don't know how you can't include The Citadel in this discussion... The Dogs were close against Elon, Wofford and Georgia Southern. Let's not forget the first part of the season where they gave Clemson a challenge.

fcsfootball71
November 13th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Agreed on Citadel and EWU

KiddBrewer
November 13th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Samford, SUU, and Citadel are all good choices. If GSU loses to Furman, I would have to go with them over all the others.

Jiggs
November 13th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Samford, SUU, and Citadel are all good choices. If GSU loses to Furman, I would have to go with them over all the others.

Samford does not now, nor will it have at the end of the season, a losing record.

GOODY26
November 14th, 2008, 11:25 AM
xpeacex I would say my Norfolk State Spartans. They were picked to challenge for the MEAC crown this season. They were leading in all of of their conference games except one. Took current conference leader South Carolina State to the wire before losing 24-23. Have won their last two games by out scoring them 84-21. Our record is now 4-6 with two games left to play and a chance to finish 6-6 after losing five stright.

Eaglesrus
November 17th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Man, we can't do anything right; on top of everything else this season we've now taken ourselves out of contention for this award! I know, now some of you will come back with the idea that maybe we're the worst winning team :)

Hoseinexile07
November 17th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Presbyterian. Hands down. ...

...Oh, I thought this thread concerned the team that loses the best. We're really good at losing. Sorry for the misunderstanding. xlolx