PDA

View Full Version : Top 4 Seeds

wideright82
November 11th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I'll get it right this time I promise xrotatehx

Who would YOUR top 4 seeds be this playoff season?

crusader11
November 11th, 2008, 10:02 PM
You need the poll now...

wideright82
November 11th, 2008, 10:03 PM
You need the poll now...

hahaha imagine I did that this time, that would be a real bone head move. Poll up

Silenoz
November 11th, 2008, 10:11 PM
JMU, App, Weber, Montana

Call me a Big Sky/UM homer if you will

UDBlueLotFan
November 11th, 2008, 10:12 PM
JMU
App
Nova
Weber

wideright82
November 11th, 2008, 10:18 PM
JMU, App, Weber, Montana

Big Sky/ UM Homer xsmiley_wix

gbhmt
November 11th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Since it seems like a given that JMU, App, and WSU are deserving a seed (according to AGS), someone should make a poll that asks who deserves it the most out of Villanova, UM, and UNI. Also makes for more discussion.

Mustang Man
November 11th, 2008, 11:02 PM
JMU
App
Cal Poly
Weber

gbhmt
November 11th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I wish this poll was public. I also wish I had a facepalm compilation.

griz37
November 11th, 2008, 11:15 PM
JMU
App
Cal Poly
Weber

You do realize the Griz beat Cal Poly, right?

Poly Pigskin
November 11th, 2008, 11:23 PM

If we beat Wisconsin (the only way we get a seed), then it would be pretty easy to ignore a 2 point loss at the beginning of the season and rank CP ahead of UM.

griz&beer
November 11th, 2008, 11:57 PM
If you beat Wiss. You won't, so do starting talking if. If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle! Cal Polly should be number 5.

UNHWildCats
November 12th, 2008, 12:00 AM
JMU
App
Nova
Weber

xthumbsupx

GolfingGriz
November 12th, 2008, 12:57 AM
1. JMU
2.App
3. Weber
4. Montana

uofmman1122
November 12th, 2008, 01:16 AM
1. JMU
2.App
3. Weber
4. Montanax2

FargoBison
November 12th, 2008, 01:18 AM
1.JMU
2.App State
3.Weber State
4.UNI

Tod
November 12th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Hard to argue with any scenario given so far...

T-Dog
November 12th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Honestly, it's a toss up for the #4 seed. I say JMU, App and Weber in that order, then it's either Nova, Montana or UNI, all of which have a strong case for a seed. I'll just wait and see when it comes to that.

appst97
November 12th, 2008, 06:14 AM
JMU
App
Nova
Weber

same 4 teams I just had nova and Weber switched

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 12th, 2008, 06:23 AM
xthumbsupx

xthumbsupx

UDBlueLotFan
November 12th, 2008, 06:37 AM
same 4 teams I just had nova and Weber switched

I just listed them in order as they were in the poll. But, I agree if it was by seed, Weber #3 and Nova #4

Appattk
November 12th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Montana is currently 3 (GPI) and 4 (Sag) vs. Weber's 7 (GPI) and 6 (Sag)..

With Montana's draw and the NCAA's love of $$$, I just can't see them NOT getting a bid.

Cal Poly will lose to Wisconsin (and has a tough game vs. Cal-Davis).. They'll slip down a few spots.

We all know at this point JMU & ASU have all but locked up the #1 and #2 seeds...

I'd give the next two seeds to the two West-ish teams #3 Montana #4 UNI.

#1 JMU
#2 ASU
#3 Montana
#4 UNI

UDBlueLotFan
November 12th, 2008, 07:17 AM

With Montana's draw and the NCAA's love of $$$, I just can't see them NOT getting a bid.

Cal Poly will lose to Wisconsin (and has a tough game vs. Cal-Davis).. They'll slip down a few spots.

We all know at this point JMU & ASU have all but locked up the #1 and #2 seeds...

#1 JMU
#2 ASU
#3 Montana
#4 UNI

xnonox Weber is undefeated in the BigSky. With a bye this wkend and a home win against 4-5 E.Wash. next wk, Weber wins the BigSky and gets the auto xthumbsupx xwhistlex The BigSky will not get two autos. This is the NCAA worst nightmare because of the Griz draw, but they will still be at home, just not via the auto. As for the #4, it will probably go to the MVC, UNI or SIU.

uofmman1122
November 12th, 2008, 07:21 AM
xnonox Weber is undefeated in the BigSky. With a bye this wkend and a home win against 4-5 E.Wash. next wk, Weber wins the BigSky and gets the auto xthumbsupx xwhistlex The BigSky will not get two autos. This is the NCAA worst nightmare because of the Griz draw, but they will still be at home, just not via the auto. As for the #4, it will probably go to the MVC, UNI or SIU.
11/10/2008 GPI Top 25
1. James Madison (1.00)
2. Appalachian St (2.63)
3. Montana (3.88)
4. Villanova (4.63)
5. Richmond (5.25)
6. Cal Poly (5.75)
7. Weber St (6.50)
8. Northern Iowa (8.13)
9. Wofford (9.88)
10. William & Mary (10.00)
11. New Hampshire (11.13)
12. Elon (11.88)
13. S Illinois (13.38)
14. Furman (14.75)
15. Massachusetts (15.63)
16. Maine (16.00)
17. Cent Arkansas (16.38)
18. McNeese St (18.75)
19. Harvard (19.75)
20. Montana St (22.63)
21. N Arizona (23.25)
22. S Dakota St (24.25)
23. Samford (24.88)
24. Ga Southern (25.00)
25. W Illinois (25.38)Based on what? xeyebrowxxeyebrowx

Teams in red all have a better shot than UNI or SIU. If there's any team that gets it over Montana, not taking any money or fan draw into account, it's going to be 'Nova or Cal Poly.

jus10asu
November 12th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I'm Goin with App, JMU, Cal Poly, and Montana

Pauly LB
November 12th, 2008, 07:41 AM

Poly missed a 27 yard chip shot field goal to win the game -- Poly beat Poly in that game -- not the Griz !!!

mcveyrl
November 12th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Poly missed a 27 yard chip shot field goal to win the game -- Poly beat Poly in that game -- not the Griz !!!

Which should also factor into a seed.

If Poly beats Wisconsin, they get a seed. If they don't they'll go to Weber or Montana.

At this point, I would pick Weber for the 3 and Montana for the four.

UDBlueLotFan
November 12th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Based on what? xeyebrowxxeyebrowx

Teams in red all have a better shot than UNI or SIU. If there's any team that gets it over Montana, not taking any money or fan draw into account, it's going to be 'Nova or Cal Poly.

Based on BigSky Champ/Weber getting the auto bidxeyebrowx
Redteam#1(Griz): 2 BigSky teams will not secure autos
Redteam#2(Nova): #2CAA team will not get auto over MVC Champ
Redteam#3(CalPly): CalPoly will drop, IMO; just planning on it.

uofmman1122
November 12th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Based on BigSky Champ/Weber getting the auto bidxeyebrowx
Redteam#1(Griz): 2 BigSky teams will not secure autos
Redteam#2(Nova): #2CAA team will not get auto over MVC Champ
Redteam#3(CalPly): CalPoly will drop, IMO; just planning on it.The SoCon champ and CAA champ last year didn't get a seed.

Winning your conference championship shouldn't warrant that much, since two MVFC teams got a seed last year over both SoCon co-champions, and the CAA champion. Weber, Montana, 'Nova, and Cal Poly are all higher on the pecking order than UNI and SIU right now. Besides, the Big Sky is a much higher rated conference than the MVFC this year, anyways. xcoffeex

gbhmt
November 12th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Cal Poly's seed situation is the simplest: they get it if they win out. That's it.

BlueHen86
November 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM
JMU
App St.
Weber St.
UNI

HensRock
November 12th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I think the committee would like to "sow" the seeds to 4 different conferences if/when they can justify it. I know in the past we've had 2 seeds from the same conference, but I think they have all been very deserving. So I think Cal Poly and UNI have the edge in that respect. This year is going to be tough for the committee.

ChickenMan
November 12th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Assuming they win out...

JMU
ASU
Villanova
Weber St

clenz
November 12th, 2008, 09:46 AM
JMU
ASU
UNI
Montana

If only Montana had a cool 3 letter abbreviation.

uofmman1122
November 12th, 2008, 09:51 AM
JMU
ASU
UNI
Montana

If only Montana had a cool 3 letter abbreviation.UMT is our "official" abbreviation.

http://www.umt.edu (http://www.umt.edu) xnodx

Appattk
November 12th, 2008, 09:58 AM

I'm sorry... I should've said "seed" instead of bid

letsgopards04
November 12th, 2008, 10:22 AM
JMU
APP
WEB
Cal Poly

Two East, Two West - Fight it out.

daneboy
November 12th, 2008, 11:09 AM
If the the last minute field goal attempt against Montana was a just little bit more to the right, then Cal Poly would be undefeated...if the hurricane wouldn't have cancelled the McNeese St. game...if ANY team with an open date on any of the three open dates for Cal Poly would have been willing to play Poly...then maybe Poly would get some of the respect they deserve at this time...of course, there is still an extremely dangerous UC Davis to play at home and then the biggy at Wisconsin...but no matter what happens, this Poly team has been incredibly fun to watch...I only hope that you all have had as much fun watching your team this year as I have had watching mine...GO Mustangs....

GrizFamily
November 12th, 2008, 11:17 AM
If the the last minute field goal attempt against Montana was a just little bit more to the right, then Cal Poly would be undefeated...
xnutsx xdeadhorsex But it wasn't and you lost. Wishing doesn't make it so.

yosef1969
November 12th, 2008, 11:17 AM
JMU
App St.
Weber St.
UNI

What he said.

ericsaid
November 12th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I think four teams from different conferences should get the seeds.

JMU, App, UNI, Cal Poly.

mtgrizfankb
November 12th, 2008, 01:25 PM

a WIN is a WIN a LOSS is a LOSS..... no matter what you have to play the whole game. Cal Poly did not and Lost..... it would be like saying well 9-10 times michigan makes a fg on APP.ST..... APP.st WON that game.

Last i checked CP has a L vs the UM

Poly Pigskin
November 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
a WIN is a WIN a LOSS is a LOSS..... no matter what you have to play the whole game. Cal Poly did not and Lost..... it would be like saying well 9-10 times michigan makes a fg on APP.ST..... APP.st WON that game.

Last i checked CP has a L vs the UM

That's true, and it's just as well. I trust you remember what happened last time Poly lost a close one to the Griz and we met up in the playoffs? xcoolx

ChickenMan
November 12th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Why would UNI deserve a seed over Villanova??? UNI's best win is over a #25 WIU (5-4) while Nova has wins over the #7.. #12 and #13 ranked teams. Also UNI's FCS loss was to #10 SIU.. Nova's was a last second Hail Mary to #1 JMU. Seems like a no brainer to me.. Nova gets it over UNI.

jaxstatealum
November 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM
JMU, Appy, Montana & UNI

AppAlum2003
November 12th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Why would UNI deserve a seed over Villanova??? UNI's best win is over a #25 WIU (5-4) while Nova has wins over the #7.. #12 and #13 ranked teams. Also UNI's FCS loss was to #10 SIU.. Nova's was a last second Hail Mary to #1 JMU. Seems like a no brainer to me.. Nova gets it over UNI.

Wait... Villanova lost to William and Mary too??? xconfusedx

:D

EDIT: That was funnier in my head before I posted it. Sorry.

jstclmet
November 12th, 2008, 03:22 PM
#1 JMU
#2 ASU
#3 Nova
#4 Weber St.

GannonFan
November 12th, 2008, 03:35 PM
#1 JMU
#2 Appy St
#3 Weber St
#4 Montana

Weber's going to get it over a team like nova because there'll be some weight given to winning a conference, especially a decent conference like the Big Sky, and because Weber's undefeated versus FCS teams. If Weber wins out, it's a no-brainer that they get the #3 seed. And if you don't think the NCAA won't line up a potential two home games for Montana then you haven't been paying attention for several years.

89Hen
November 12th, 2008, 03:38 PM
JMU
App
Weber
UNI/SIU

GannonFan
November 12th, 2008, 03:41 PM
JMU
App
Weber
UNI/SIU

Good point, forgot about the MVC - yes, if UNI and SIU win out then I see SIU getting the 4th and final seed (conference champ with head to head win over UNI).

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 12th, 2008, 03:58 PM
JMU
App
Nova
Weber

I agree with the CAA ticket!

AppGrad06
November 12th, 2008, 03:59 PM
JMU
App
Weber
UNI/SIU/Cal Poly

With regonalization being a goal 'Nova being a seed (deserving or not) would throw a monkey wrench into things. Also I think they try not to double up on seeds in one conference which will shaft Montana and work against 'Nova as well.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 12th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Ok, so right now 7% say JMU should not be a seed and 8% say App St. should not be a seed.

WTF? lol

AppAlum2003
November 12th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Ok, so right now 7% say JMU should not be a seed and 8% say App St. should not be a seed.

WTF? lol

Right now I would say the seeds should be:

JMU
ASU
WSU
UNI

However, unless my calendar is upside-down, there are two weeks of football left to play in the regular season.

For instance, Elon-ASU is a big game for both teams this weekend. I plan on having NO voice left at about 7:00 Saturday night.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 12th, 2008, 04:06 PM
JMU
App
Weber
UNI/SIU/Cal Poly

With regonalization being a goal 'Nova being a seed (deserving or not) would throw a monkey wrench into things. Also I think they try not to double up on seeds in one conference which will shaft Montana and work against 'Nova as well.

Just last year UNI was #1 and SIU #4. Hmmmmm...

AppGrad06
November 12th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Just last year UNI was #1 and SIU #4. Hmmmmm...

this is true but I don't think they see it as ideal, and avoid it if they can

URMite
November 12th, 2008, 04:30 PM
UMT is our "official" abbreviation.

http://www.umt.edu (http://www.umt.edu) xnodx

That's what I've been doing with all the UM playoff possibilities this year.
uMT
uMA
uME

no uMI or uMO though...

GannonFan
November 12th, 2008, 04:36 PM
this is true but I don't think they see it as ideal, and avoid it if they can

Agreed - if Montana and SIU have the same record as nova, SIU will get a seed first over the other two simply due to being a conference champion.

dasjamin
November 12th, 2008, 04:54 PM
If SIU gets the auto bid for the MVFC, I don't see the MVFC getting a seed. But if UNI gets the auto bid, I think they would get a seed.

UNI lost to SIU on a last second field goal. I remember someone saying in this thread a loss is still a loss no matter how you splice it.

GolfingGriz
November 12th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Agreed - if Montana and SIU have the same record as nova, SIU will get a seed first over the other two simply due to being a conference champion.

Good chance Montana will be 11-1 while the other two will have 2 losses apiece.

putter
November 12th, 2008, 05:19 PM

And Wofford had nothing to do with their win in Missoula last year. Montana just beat themselves.....xrolleyesx

GolfingGriz
November 12th, 2008, 05:22 PM
And Wofford had nothing to do with their win in Missoula last year. Montana just beat themselves.....xrolleyesx

Making or missing fieldgoals at the end of games are as much a part of the game as anything. Just ask the Patriots, or the Bills...

BlueHen86
November 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Right now I would say the seeds should be:

JMU
ASU
WSU
UNI

However, unless my calendar is upside-down, there are two weeks of football left to play in the regular season.

For instance, Elon-ASU is a big game for both teams this weekend. I plan on having NO voice left at about 7:00 Saturday night.

Excellent choices.xthumbsupx

BlueHen86
November 12th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Good chance Montana will be 11-1 while the other two will have 2 losses apiece.
Montana was not one of my four picks (JMU, ASU, UNI, Weber St), but I would pick them 5th if they seeded 5 teams. If all 5 of the teams I mentioned above win out - I would not be shocked to see the Grizzlies get a seed at the expense of UNI or Weber St. I think ASU and JMU are locks, as long as they win out.

uofmman1122
November 12th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Montana was not one of my four picks (JMU, ASU, UNI, Weber St), but I would pick them 5th if they seeded 5 teams. If all 5 of the teams I mentioned above win out - I would not be shocked to see the Grizzlies get a seed at the expense of UNI or Weber St. I think ASU and JMU are locks, as long as they win out.Outside of UNI winning the MVFC, what puts them in over the Griz?

FargoBison
November 12th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Outside of UNI winning the MVFC, what puts them in over the Griz?

It sets things up nicely for the committee and gives a seed to four different conferences.

BlueHen86
November 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Outside of UNI winning the MVFC, what puts them in over the Griz?
I think winning the MVFC is a main reason. Also, I think the commitee would prefer not to give two seeds to teams from the same conference if there is a worthy team as an alternative.

Like I said, I wouldn't be shocked to see Montana get a seed.

BlueHen86
November 12th, 2008, 06:52 PM
It sets things up nicely for the committee and gives a seed to four different conferences.

Agreed

Appinator
November 12th, 2008, 07:48 PM
JMU
App
Nova
Weber

My exact vote too.

I've said it a couple of times on here, but I'll say it again: There has NEVER been an instance where the playoff committee has selected a team for a seed over another team who is the sole champion of their conference. There are many examples of where one team who lost the head to head match up was given the seed over the winning team when both were co-champions. This would mean that for UM to get a seed, Weber would have to receive one as well.

Because this is all dependent on WSU getting a seed, take a look at their schedule. Has there ever been a team given a top four seed with only 8 D-1 wins? Weber played 2 FBS teams and 2 D-2 teams for their OOC, and while they lost and won the games they should, they didn't do themselves any favors. Now compare all of those wins to Nova's 9 (IF they win against Towson and UD). Nova played an all D-1 schedule and only lost to WVU and JMU. If your comparing seasons, Nova has the edge. Then you compare that same WSU schedule to the MVC champ (UNI or SIU). The MVC champ has the clear advantage as well, not based on conference strengths, but because they both played a move difficult OOC slate.

Don't sweat it though UM fans, you will still get a home game, and probably matched up to receive the winner of the 4 seed game, where they will have the best chance of facing a team that upset a seed in the second round, and thus having a second home game, much like what happened to ASU last year. WSU will probably get the shaft, where they get a home game, but they would have to travel to JMU or ASU in the second round.

JmuSkinsfan
November 12th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I think it will be:

JMU
ASU
WSU
SIU

That being said, Villanova deserves the #4 seed. They won't get it, but they will go to the semis. Rarely do all 4 top seeds advance very far, and typically the dominant conference has the most representation. I foresee a final 4 with 4 of these 5 teams...

JMU, ASU, 'Nova, UR, Montana

malibudude
November 12th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I think it will be:

JMU
ASU
WSU
SIU

That being said, Villanova deserves the #4 seed. They won't get it, but they will go to the semis. Rarely do all 4 top seeds advance very far, and typically the dominant conference has the most representation. I foresee a final 4 with 4 of these 5 teams...

JMU, ASU, 'Nova, UR, Montana

The final 4 will come out the above plus Cal Poly and Weber. Bank.

Peems
November 12th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Homer in me said...
1 JMU
2 APP
3 WSU
4 Da Griz

(assuming everyone wins out)

TITLEIST
November 12th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Help Me out here has anyone looked at the schedules for the BIG SKY not exactly a tough test here.....but I am sure whatever it is it's much tougher than the MVFC...............

clenz
November 12th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Homer in me said...
1 JMU
2 APP
3 WSU
4 Da Griz

(assuming everyone wins out)
That's turrible...:D

ursus arctos horribilis
November 12th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Help Me out here has anyone looked at the schedules for the BIG SKY not exactly a tough test here.....but I am sure whatever it is it's much tougher than the MVFC...............

That's true, you can get a feel for the strength of schedules by checking the GPI and Sagarin. It shows that it's tougher than the MVFC.

BlueHen86
November 12th, 2008, 10:31 PM

Compared to what?xeyebrowx

UNIFanSince1983
November 12th, 2008, 11:10 PM
JMU
App
Weber
Villanova

Those are my 4 and I am sticking to it! At least till after this Saturday...

coover
November 12th, 2008, 11:55 PM
If you beat Wiss. You won't, so do starting talking if. If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle! Cal Polly should be number 5.

Their is only one "l" in Polytechnic!

Grizaholic17
November 13th, 2008, 12:58 AM
That's true, you can get a feel for the strength of schedules by checking the GPI and Sagarin. It shows that it's tougher than the MVFC.

exactly. big sky conference has a higher power rating in both the GPI and Saragin.

I don't believe that wsu AND montana should be top 4, but don't hate on the schedules. Play a big sky team and see how you stack up or don't bring the matter of schedule strength in here.

top four were:
JMU
APPY
WSU
NOVA

(no poly because Montana beat them, and no Montana because of above statement)

Hoyadestroya85
November 13th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Their is only one "l" in Polytechnic!

well if you wanna get nit picky, you used "their" instead of "there".. so use correct spelling/words if you're gonna critique others.. and if Cal Poly beats Wisconsin and gets a seed, i'll make my avatar a naked man

T-Dog
November 13th, 2008, 03:01 AM
After thinking about it, I think the #4 seed will come down to either Montana or Villanova and if Montana finished 11-1 and Nova 9-2, you have to cancel out Montana's game vs D2 Central Washington and Nova's FBS game against WVU for fairness. Then you have Montana's only loss being to #3 Weber and Nova's only loss being to #1 JMU (no whining about Hail Mary this and that, a loss is a loss) plus with the CAA having more ranked teams, it favors Nova. Montana has the higher GPI right now, but not by much and Nova could overtake them. Not likely given each team's remaining schedules, but who knows?

uofmman1122
November 13th, 2008, 06:09 AM
After thinking about it, I think the #4 seed will come down to either Montana or Villanova and if Montana finished 11-1 and Nova 9-2, you have to cancel out Montana's game vs D2 Central Washington and Nova's FBS game against WVU for fairness. Then you have Montana's only loss being to #3 Weber and Nova's only loss being to #1 JMU (no whining about Hail Mary this and that, a loss is a loss) plus with the CAA having more ranked teams, it favors Nova. Montana has the higher GPI right now, but not by much and Nova could overtake them. Not likely given each team's remaining schedules, but who knows?Montana also beat the current #3 team in the nation. xcoffeex

However, I agree with you. It will come down to 'Nova or Montana, unless one of them loses.

Grizaholic17
November 13th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Montana also beat the current #3 team in the nation. xcoffeex

However, I agree with you. It will come down to 'Nova or Montana, unless one of them loses.

Well, that is surely taken into account. Montana holds the edge, if they win out, they will most likely take the 4th seed. I voted for Weber in that 4th, but that's the way things SHOULD be, but they never work out that way.

19Duke97
November 13th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Montana also beat the current #3 team in the nation. xcoffeex

Yeah but Villanova beat #6,#12, and #15. I really don't think the BSC deserves 2 seeds. No offense, but it's not as strong a conference. CP will drop after losing to Wisconsin, right or wrong, unless they play them really close.

Grizaholic17
November 13th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Yeah but Villanova beat #6,#12, and #15. I really don't think the BSC deserves 2 seeds. No offense, but it's not as strong a conference. CP will drop after losing to Wisconsin, right or wrong, unless they play them really close.

Play any BSC team and beat them and then you have the right to say that. Who knows which conference is any better than the other conference until playoff time? We shall see when playoffs come, but for now, conferences are equal. The seeded teams in those conferences could be interchangeable in my book...until you face them to each other, it makes no difference.

Not to mention montana beat Cal Poly, EWU, AND WSU who were all ranked at the time.

mcveyrl
November 13th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Play any BSC team and beat them and then you have the right to say that. Who knows which conference is any better than the other conference until playoff time? We shall see when playoffs come, but for now, conferences are equal. The seeded teams in those conferences could be interchangeable in my book...until you face them to each other, it makes no difference.

Not to mention montana beat Cal Poly, EWU, AND WSU who were all ranked at the time.

I agree with your comment about conferences being equal, but didn't Montana lose to WSU? Also, I've never bought the "ranked at the time" argument. You beat who you beat and they are who they are. Our win at Maine looked lie bad because we were close in the fourth quarter and pulled away late. Now, it's a better win than the UMass win, even though they were 3rd (or 5th?) at the time

19Duke97
November 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Point taken, but many on this board seem to think CP will struggle against a CD team that was whipped by a lower CAA team in Northeastern. I guess if it were to be equitable UNI might get the 4th bid to remove the conference bias, but then people would scream they are not as good as VU or Montana. My only point was that many CAA (and Socon) teams take a hits in rankings because they beat each other up. Playoff time will decide who's best, and I'm excited to see it unfold. But if you took a poll on this board of which conference is stronger, I think most would agree the CAA is a notch above the BSC.

Grizaholic17
November 13th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Point taken, but many on this board seem to think CP will struggle against a CD team that was whipped by a lower CAA team in Northeastern. I guess if it were to be equitable UNI might get the 4th bid to remove the conference bias, but then people would scream they are not as good as VU or Montana. My only point was that many CAA (and Socon) teams take a hits in rankings because they beat each other up. Playoff time will decide who's best, and I'm excited to see it unfold. But if you took a poll on this board of which conference is stronger, I think most would agree the CAA is a notch above the BSC.

I would agree with that too...i just like being the one to test people's points! Well done!

GannonFan
November 13th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Guys, guys, guys, they aren't going to give two seeds to the CAA when the MVC will have a champion from that conference with a record equal to that of whichever 2nd place team comes from that conference. Both MVC teams that could win it currently have two losses (just like and nova) and both have one of those losses to an FBS team (just like and nova).

Montana is the wild card for a 4th seed and if they finish out 11-1 they'll easily get a seed over a 9-2 nova team. The way it stands today, it's the winner of the MVC or Montana for the last seed (after JMU, Appy, and Weber).

joecooll6
November 13th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Why no SIU? At this point if they win out they are more deserving than us in my opinion. They would have the MVC title and autobid, and beat us.

Poly Pigskin
November 13th, 2008, 04:29 PM

Can't judge a team based on 1 poor performance on a cross country trip. Plenty of teams come out flat when their body thinks it's 3 hours earlier than it really is. xtwocentsx

And I haven't really seen anyone saying we're going to struggle against Davis. It'll probably be like the SUU or SDSU games with lots of points on both sides, but Poly proving they are clearly the more talented group.

Grizzaholic
November 13th, 2008, 06:21 PM
People People, come on. Some one will lose in the next two weeks and make this whole process much much easier.

Just a hunch.

joecooll6
November 13th, 2008, 09:29 PM
In my opinion it should be SIU. Those of you saying we cant tell which conference is better until the playoffs should agree with this. The BSC and CAA second place teams should not get a seed over the MVFC winner, especially since all 3 only have 1 FCS loss, and SIU has a better win than any of Montanas and at least as good as Villanovas.

19Duke97
November 13th, 2008, 09:33 PM
In my opinion it should be SIU. Those of you saying we cant tell which conference is better until the playoffs should agree with this. The BSC and CAA second place teams should not get a seed over the MVFC winner, especially since all 3 only have 1 FCS loss, and SIU has a better win than any of Montanas and at least as good as Villanovas.

I tend to agree with your logic, but whether then MVC division winner is better than Montana or Villanova is very debatable. In any case I think all three will get home games to start the playoffs.

19Duke97
November 13th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Can't judge a team based on 1 poor performance on a cross country trip. Plenty of teams come out flat when their body thinks it's 3 hours earlier than it really is. xtwocentsx

And I haven't really seen anyone saying we're going to struggle against Davis. It'll probably be like the SUU or SDSU games with lots of points on both sides, but Poly proving they are clearly the more talented group.

There were a couple of threads touting that Davis may give you all a game. Personally I would like to see you all knock them down well to put all questions to bed. I want to see all teams that make the playoffs really have good cause and leave as little doubt as possible.

nmatsen
November 13th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Technically Montana has a bigger win that SIU, Montana won on the road at #3, SIU won at home to #4.

joecooll6
November 13th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I tend to agree with your logic, but whether then MVC division winner is better than Montana or Villanova is very debatable. In any case I think all three will get home games to start the playoffs.

Honestly, I think UNI is better than SIU, and I think were as least as good as Montana and Villanova. However, if SIU keeps winning then based on what theyve done they deserve the 2 in my opinion. If not them, then Villanova. Montana's resume just doesnt impress me. I look for quality over quantity.

joecooll6
November 13th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Technically Montana has a bigger win that SIU, Montana won on the road at #3, SIU won at home to #4.

Thats true I forgot about CP. How in the hell did I forget about CP?

Still I stand by what I said. My order is

1.JMU
2.Appy
3.Weber
4.SIU
5.Villanova
6.Montana
7.UNI
8.CP

I honestly just dont think we deserve it at this point based on what we have done compared to others. We dont have an eye popping win, JMU has several, Appy has a few, Weber has one, SIU has one (us), Villanova has a couple very good wins, Montana has one. We do not. If SIU loses Sunday you can put us in the conversation because we will be MVFC champs (assuming we be Indiana State). Before then, we just flat out dont deserve it. I would think we would get a home game though.

uofmman1122
November 13th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Thats true I forgot about CP. How in the hell did I forget about CP?

Still I stand by what I said. My order is

1.JMU
2.Appy
3.Weber
4.SIU
5.Villanova
6.Montana
7.UNI
8.CP

I honestly just dont think we deserve it at this point based on what we have done compared to others. We dont have an eye popping win, JMU has several, Appy has a few, Weber has one, SIU has one (us), Villanova has a couple very good wins, Montana has one. We do not. If SIU loses Sunday you can put us in the conversation because we will be MVFC champs (assuming we be Indiana State). Before then, we just flat out dont deserve it. I would think we would get a home game though.Are you forgetting that SIU lost to NDSU? Sure, not a terrible team, but certainly not Weber State.

In favor of Montana
WSU > NDSU
Cal Poly > UNI
11-1 > 9-2
GPI #3 > GPI #13 (even if you don't agree with the ranking, the committe has used it before as an important indicator)
Sagarin SOS #148 > Sagarin SOS #180

vs.

In favor of SIU
Big Sky autobid < MFVC Champion

You could even switch SIU with UNI, since Montana is ahead of UNI in the above categories, as well.

In favor of Montana
WSU > SIU
Cal Poly > Any win UNI has had
11-1 > 10-2
GPI #3 > GPI #8
Sagarin SOS #148 > Sagarin SOS #163

vs.

(Assuming SIU loses to SDSU, which won't even guarantee UNI as MVFC champion. SDSU would have to lose to NDSU.)
In favor of UNI
Big Sky Autobid < MVFC Champion

I like Grizzaholic's prediction, though.

EWU beats WSU, and it's Montana as #3 or #4. xnodx:p

joecooll6
November 14th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Are you forgetting that SIU lost to NDSU? Sure, not a terrible team, but certainly not Weber State.

In favor of Montana
WSU > NDSU
Cal Poly > UNI
11-1 > 9-2
GPI #3 > GPI #13 (even if you don't agree with the ranking, the committe has used it before as an important indicator)

vs.

In favor of SIU

You could even switch SIU with UNI, since Montana is ahead of UNI in the above categories, as well.

In favor of Montana
WSU > SIU
11-1 > 10-2
GPI #3 > GPI #8

vs.

(Assuming SIU loses to SDSU, which won't even guarantee UNI as MVFC champion. SDSU would have to lose to NDSU.)
In favor of UNI

I disagree that a win over Cal Poly is greater than a win over us. I also dont factor in that your record is better because you never played an FBS team, therefore Montana and SIU both have the same number of FCS losses which to me makes their records equal. As far as SOS 148 vs SOS 180, that isnt a big enough difference to me to make the distinction between a first place team being worse than a second place team in a conference that is roughly equal. If you look at quality wins, they are about equal, the only arguement Montana has in my book over SIU is the quality of FCS loss.

I wont worry about the comparison with UNI until SIU loses.

UNI will be champion of the MVFC if SDSU beats SIU, even if SDSU beats NDSU because we beat SDSU.

wideright82
November 14th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Are you forgetting that SIU lost to NDSU? Sure, not a terrible team, but certainly not Weber State.

In favor of Montana
WSU > NDSU
Cal Poly > UNI
11-1 > 9-2

vs.

In favor of SIU

In favor of Montana
WSU > SIU
11-1 > 10-2
GPI #3 > GPI #8

vs.

In favor of UNI

What if you were to do that comparing Villanova and Montana? You seem to not mind doing it, lol, and i am too lazy.

uofmman1122
November 14th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I disagree that a win over Cal Poly is greater than a win over us. I also dont factor in that your record is better because you never played an FBS team, therefore Montana and SIU both have the same number of FCS losses which to me makes their records equal. As far as SOS 148 vs SOS 180, that isnt a big enough difference to me to make the distinction between a first place team being worse than a second place team in a conference that is roughly equal. If you look at quality wins, they are about equal, the only arguement Montana has in my book over SIU is the quality of FCS loss.

I wont worry about the comparison with UNI until SIU loses.

UNI will be champion of the MVFC if SDSU beats SIU, even if SDSU beats NDSU because we beat SDSU.You can choose not to recognize my points, but that doesn't mean they don't hold weight in the committee.

Since we're admitting that Big Sky and MVFC are equal this year, even though I disagree, then we should look at OOC:
Montana:
@ #3 Cal Poly - Win 30-28
Southern Utah - Win 46-10
UC Davis - Win 29-24
Central Washington - Win 38-35

UNI:
@ BYU - Loss 41-17
South Dakota - Win 24-13
Nicholls State - Win 34-14
@ Southern Utah - Not Yet Played

SIU:
Hampton - Win 37-31
@ Northwestern - Loss 33-7
North Dakota - Win 40-21

SIU's OOC is certainly the least impressive, and you could say Montana's and UNI's are about equal, even though I don't see being throttled by BYU as any sort of accomplishment. Sure CWU doesn't look great, but they do have a better NFL prospect QB than any FCS team, not to mention a boatload of FBS transfers, and are ranked #5 in the nation, but since I'm judging UNI, you can judge that as you will. I still think Montana's stacks up better than both UNI's and SIU's.

As just was posted in another thread:

Question #3: I have heard many people say that the committee would resist putting two or three teams from the same conference in the top four seeds. So I asked John this question point blank and got a very direct answer; “It would be whatever the top four may be with no relevance to whatever conference they may be from.” So, end of that myth.Winning a conference, any conference, really has no weight. Considering how much higher UM is in GPI (which the committee seems to stick to) than SIU and UNI, the fact that either team wins the championship seems rather pointless. If they think Montana is better, it won't matter if they didn't win the Big Sky.

I honestly think seeding will come down to WSU, Montana, and 'Nova if all three win out, with two of those three getting seeded. 'Nova has a much better resume than UNI or SIU that's comparable to Montana's, so it should really be should Montana or 'Nova get a seed?

uofmman1122
November 14th, 2008, 10:36 AM
What if you were to do that comparing Villanova and Montana? You seem to not mind doing it, lol, and i am too lazy.Already did. xlolxxnodx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1206205&posted=1#post1206205

Skjellyfetti
November 14th, 2008, 10:37 AM
1. JMU
2. App
3. Weber State
4. Villanova

wideright82
November 14th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Already did. xlolxxnodx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1206205&posted=1#post1206205

PERFECT... thanks xthumbsupx

joecooll6
November 14th, 2008, 12:21 PM
You can choose not to recognize my points, but that doesn't mean they don't hold weight in the committee.

Since we're admitting that Big Sky and MVFC are equal this year, even though I disagree, then we should look at OOC:
Montana:
@ #3 Cal Poly - Win 30-28
Southern Utah - Win 46-10
UC Davis - Win 29-24
Central Washington - Win 38-35

UNI:
@ BYU - Loss 41-17
South Dakota - Win 24-13
Nicholls State - Win 34-14
@ Southern Utah - Not Yet Played

SIU:
Hampton - Win 37-31
@ Northwestern - Loss 33-7
North Dakota - Win 40-21

SIU's OOC is certainly the least impressive, and you could say Montana's and UNI's are about equal, even though I don't see being throttled by BYU as any sort of accomplishment. Sure CWU doesn't look great, but they do have a better NFL prospect QB than any FCS team, not to mention a boatload of FBS transfers, and are ranked #5 in the nation, but since I'm judging UNI, you can judge that as you will. I still think Montana's stacks up better than both UNI's and SIU's.

As just was posted in another thread:
Winning a conference, any conference, really has no weight. Considering how much higher UM is in GPI (which the committee seems to stick to) than SIU and UNI, the fact that either team wins the championship seems rather pointless. If they think Montana is better, it won't matter if they didn't win the Big Sky.

I honestly think seeding will come down to WSU, Montana, and 'Nova if all three win out, with two of those three getting seeded. 'Nova has a much better resume than UNI or SIU that's comparable to Montana's, so it should really be should Montana or 'Nova get a seed?

If you're looking at the fact that one team has the conference championship SIU has the edge.

If youre looking at GPI, Montana has the edge, however if you look at GPI you have to consider why they're rated so high and look deeper at the numbers.

If youre looking a quality of loss, Montana has the edge.

If you're looking at quality wins, you have to look at both teams best wins.

Assuming they win out, Montana will have beaten
-Cal Poly (7-1)
-Northern Arizona (5-4)
-Montana State (6-4)
-UC-Davis (5-5)

Southern Illinois
-UNI (8-2)
-Western Illinois (5-4)
-SDSU (5-4)
-Hampton (5-4)

The resumes are very similar.

If you arent going to take the conference championship in two similar conferences into account, then Montana still loses to Villanova when you compare quality wins.

joecooll6
November 14th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Also, I'd like to address the MVFC vs: BSC challenge. Usually, I think the MVFC is a better conference, however this year they seem to be equal. I dont think the BSC is better.

Both conferences have two top tier teams. In fact, in both conferences the first place team (im considering SIU in first cause they have the inside track to the autobid) may actually have a better resume than the second place team. Those teams would of course be Weber State (9-2) and Montana (9-1), and Southern Illinois (7-2) and UNI (8-2)

Both conferences then have 3 mid-tier teams with records of .500 or better.
The Big Sky has Northern Arizona (5-4), Montana State (6-4), and Sacramento State (5-5), while the MVFC has South Dakota State (6-4), Western Illinois (5-4) and North Dakota State (5-4)

Both conferences have a couple teams that are no-so-good with below average records. The BSC has 2- Eastern Washington at 4-5 and Portland State at 3-6, while the MVFC has 2 with Illinois State and Missouri State both at 3-6.

Both conferneces have two crappy teams. The BSC has Northern Colorado who is 1-8, while the MVFC has 3-8 Youngstown State. And both conferences have 0-10 teams in Idaho State and Indiana State.

Grizaholic17
November 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Also, I'd like to address the MVFC vs: BSC challenge. Usually, I think the MVFC is a better conference, however this year they seem to be equal. I dont think the BSC is better.

Both conferences have two top tier teams. In fact, in both conferences the first place team (im considering SIU in first cause they have the inside track to the autobid) may actually have a better resume than the second place team. Those teams would of course be Weber State (9-2) and Montana (9-1), and Southern Illinois (7-2) and UNI (8-2)

Both conferences then have 3 mid-tier teams with records of .500 or better.
The Big Sky has Northern Arizona (5-4), Montana State (6-4), and Sacramento State (5-5), while the MVFC has South Dakota State (6-4), Western Illinois (5-4) and North Dakota State (5-4)

Both conferences have a couple teams that are no-so-good with below average records. The BSC has 2- Eastern Washington at 4-5 and Portland State at 3-6, while the MVFC has 2 with Illinois State and Missouri State both at 3-6.

Both conferneces have two crappy teams. The BSC has Northern Colorado who is 1-8, while the MVFC has 3-8 Youngstown State. And both conferences have 0-10 teams in Idaho State and Indiana State.

GPI and Saragin xrolleyesx xrolleyesx :p :p

Grabholdofyosef
November 14th, 2008, 01:18 PM
If they win out,

1. JMU
2. ASU
3. Nova
4. Cal poly

Cal poly will most likely lose to WIS so I think it should be,

1. JMU
2. ASU
3. Nova
4. Weber St.

What would happen if ASU and JMU lose this weekend? Both are possible. If that happens, thing scould get very interesting.

joecooll6
November 14th, 2008, 01:54 PM
GPI and Saragin xrolleyesx xrolleyesx :p :p

Sometimes you gotta look beyond the polls at what is really happening.

Native
November 14th, 2008, 08:00 PM

My Aunt Libby has more balls than most of my Uncles, but with Weber, Montana and Cal Poly ranked 1st, 2nd and 3rd, by our own NCAA Western regional advisory committee, the Mustangs will be lucky to be rated as high as #6 by the selection committee - unless of course they DO beat Wisconsin. xrotatehx

1. JMU
2. Appy
3. Weber
4. Villanova
5. Montana
6. Cal Poly

Disclaimer: Two more weeks of regular season football! xsmiley_wix

ChickenMan
November 15th, 2008, 07:54 AM
If Weber St wins the Big Sky.. they will deserve a seed.. the question then becomes.. does the Big Sky deserve two seeds???

I think we all know the answer to that one.

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2008, 08:38 AM
If Weber St wins the Big Sky.. they will deserve a seed.. the question then becomes.. does the Big Sky deserve two seeds???

I think we all know the answer to that one.If the committee thinks Montana is one of the four best teams, then they will get a seed, with no thought to which conference they came from. If you read the article posted, it says that. They have their own ranking, and base the seeds solely on that.

Pantherpower
November 15th, 2008, 09:09 AM
If the committee thinks Montana is one of the four best teams, then they will get a seed, with no thought to which conference they came from. If you read the article posted, it says that. They have their own ranking, and base the seeds solely on that.

This is an interesting debate. Part of me says how can you have two teams from one conference receive a seed when they haven't won the autobid (ie Montana and UNI in addition to autobids Weber and SIU, respectively--provided that said teams win out).

On the other hand, if a conference is judged to be that good by Sagarin/power index, etc., perhaps it's justified. Just last year we had two from the MVFC (UNI #1 and SIU #4).

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2008, 09:29 AM
This is an interesting debate. Part of me says how can you have two teams from one conference receive a seed when they haven't won the autobid (ie Montana and UNI in addition to autobids Weber and SIU, respectively--provided that said teams win out).

On the other hand, if a conference is judged to be that good by Sagarin/power index, etc., perhaps it's justified. Just last year we had two from the MVFC (UNI #1 and SIU #4).I'm not saying that winning a conference is bad or not good enough. I'm sure it's weighed into how they rank each team, but I've seen too many people argue that SIU or UNI should get a seed based solely on winning the MVFC, without much of an additional argument. He pretty much said in the interview that that's not the case. The four best teams in the committee's eyes will get the seeds, regardless of which conference they're from. Two Big Sky teams would not be that unusual if Weber and Montana were the thrid and fourth best teams in the committee's eyes.

UncleSam
November 15th, 2008, 09:39 AM
On merit alone, Villanova deserves a seed over Montana. They have better wins and their two losses were to teams that are both better quality than Weber. Also other than Montana, the BSC conference, over the last ten years, has had a very poor playoff record, which would seem to indicate that wins in the BSC are a lot easier to come by than wins in the SoCon or the CAA. If Montana can't win their mediocre league, they don't deserve a playoff seed.

Pantherpower
November 15th, 2008, 09:45 AM
On merit alone, Villanova deserves a seed over Montana. They have better wins and their two losses were to teams that are both better quality than Weber. Also other than Montana, the BSC conference, over the last ten years, has had a very poor playoff record, which would seem to indicate that wins in the BSC are a lot easier to come by than wins in the SoCon or the CAA. If Montana can't win their mediocre league, they don't deserve a playoff seed.

While I don't agree with your statement about the BSC being a mediocre league, I do agree that your losses grade out better. Fortunately, our playoff system will sort out who is the best on the field of play.

SteelCurtain
November 15th, 2008, 04:59 PM
1.JMU
2.App State
3.Weber State
4.UNI

Ditto

Appstate29
November 15th, 2008, 06:10 PM
if UM wins next week, its going to be hard to deny them a seed. I'll go
1.JMU
2.ASU
3. Weber
4. UM

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 15th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Unless UC Davis Upsets Poly, Western Carolina upsets App. State, Southern Utah upsets UNI, or Towson upsets JMU, I'd say the top 4 seeds are pretty much set in stone now.

Tod
November 15th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Unless UC Davis Upsets Poly, Western Carolina upsets App. State, Southern Utah upsets UNI, or Towson upsets JMU, I'd say the top 4 seeds are pretty much set in stone now.

So, you're saying that if Cal-Poly beats UC Davis, then loses to Wisconsin and finishes with 7 D-I wins, they'd deserve a seed over a 10 D-I win team that they lost to?

xconfusedx

rcny46
November 15th, 2008, 06:45 PM
JMU, App, Weber, Montana

You're not being a homer;right now those four deserve the seeds.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 15th, 2008, 07:00 PM
So, you're saying that if Cal-Poly beats UC Davis, then loses to Wisconsin and finishes with 7 D-I wins, they'd deserve a seed over a 10 D-I win team that they lost to?

xconfusedx

My bad. For some reason I was thinking Cal Poly won that game.xoopsx

Tod
November 15th, 2008, 07:03 PM
My bad. For some reason I was thinking Cal Poly won that game.xoopsx

Good. I knowed you wus smarter thun that!

Now, if they knock off Wisconsin, I'm willing to listen. xnodx

Houndawg
November 16th, 2008, 08:24 AM
You're not being a homer;right now those four deserve the seeds.

No love for SIU here? I guess it's because we were picked (again) to finish 5th in the MVC and spend the year rebuilding. Win next week at IlSU and we close 9-2 on a seven game winning streak. So far this year we have trailed for a total of 00:00 minutes in our eight wins. Unfortunately the computer rankings can't quantify things like our success in pressure situations.

Ronbo
November 16th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Yes, I was looking at SIU's schedule and it looks like they win the auto bid with a win over ISU. Correct?

Houndawg
November 16th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Yes, I was looking at SIU's schedule and it looks like they win the auto bid with a win over ISU. Correct?

Yes, we have the head to head with UNI.

Pantherpower
November 16th, 2008, 09:09 AM
While they only have three wins, Illinois State historically plays SIU tough. Rest assured they have this game circled and it's being played in Normal. Don't be surprised if the Redbirds take the Saluikis down.

I struggle with a seed going to Weber State as well. Winning the auto from the Big Sky is a fine accomplishment, but WSU's OOC may betray them--specifically the DII and NAIA opponents. Had WSU only suffered one loss, you MAY be able to overlook it, but a poor decision to schedule two FBS teams is nobody's fault but their own.

While WSU beat UM head to head, I'd give the nod to Montana. Montana had a marquee win against Cal Poly that ranks up with JMU's upset over ASU as one of the finest OOC victories of the year for the FCS.

Here's how I'd rank the seeds:

1) JMU
2) ASU
3) Montana*
4) SIU**

*If Montana loses Brawl of the Wild they obviously drop out and SIU moves to the 3 seed and Villanova moves to the 4 seed.

**If SIU loses they drop out and UNI moves to the 4 seed.

If both lose, move UNI to the 3 seed and Villanova to the 4 seed. UNI shouldn't receive a seed if SIU wins out as they will have won the conference outright and I can't justify two MVFC teams being seeded. However, you have to move one MVFC team into the group of 4 seeds, so if SIU loses, UNI deserves it.

Houndawg
November 16th, 2008, 09:59 AM
While they only have three wins, Illinois State historically plays SIU tough. Rest assured they have this game circled and it's being played in Normal. Don't be surprised if the Redbirds take the Saluikis down.

I struggle with a seed going to Weber State as well. Winning the auto from the Big Sky is a fine accomplishment, but WSU's OOC may betray them--specifically the DII and NAIA opponents. Had WSU only suffered one loss, you MAY be able to overlook it, but a poor decision to schedule two FBS teams is nobody's fault but their own.

While WSU beat UM head to head, I'd give the nod to Montana. Montana had a marquee win against Cal Poly that ranks up with JMU's upset over ASU as one of the finest OOC victories of the year for the FCS.

Here's how I'd rank the seeds:

1) JMU
2) ASU
3) Montana*
4) SIU**

*If Montana loses Brawl of the Wild they obviously drop out and SIU moves to the 3 seed and Villanova moves to the 4 seed.

**If SIU loses they drop out and UNI moves to the 4 seed.

If both lose, move UNI to the 3 seed and Villanova to the 4 seed. UNI shouldn't receive a seed if SIU wins out as they will have won the conference outright and I can't justify two MVFC teams being seeded. However, you have to move one MVFC team into the group of 4 seeds, so if SIU loses, UNI deserves it.

Agreed, the redturds always play us tough and if they pull the upset we don't deserve a seed.

I have a hard time giving Montana a seed over the Big Sky champ even if they are a better team right now; are not preferred playoff positions a reason we play conference games?

mlbowl
November 16th, 2008, 10:18 AM
So far this year we have trailed for a total of 00:00 minutes in our eight wins. Unfortunately the computer rankings can't quantify things like our success in pressure situations.

You've never trailed in your 8 wins....what kind of pressure situation are you speaking of?xconfusedx

Houndawg
November 16th, 2008, 10:34 AM
You've never trailed in your 8 wins....what kind of pressure situation are you speaking of?xconfusedx

We've let several teams come back to tie us even though we've never trailed in the games we've won. Hampton, UNI, MoSt, WIU, SDSU. In each of those games we've made big plays on big downs in the fourth quarter to take the win. We don't seem to adjust well at the half, but we're usually ahead by two scores at the half so why change? Our third quarter play is very puzzling.

Native
November 16th, 2008, 11:40 AM

#1 JMU
#2 ASU
#3 Montana
#4 UNI

Montana does not need a top four seed to host a home game and take advantage of the draw.

gbhmt
November 16th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Montana does not need a top four seed to host a home game and take advantage of the draw.

But they would in order to get two.

Native
November 16th, 2008, 12:25 PM
But they would [need a seed] in order to get two [home games].

Not necessarily - but most likely. Only if the seed in their bracket wins in the first round.

Saluki_man
November 16th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I think the top two seeds are just about locked in barring anything absolutly crazy (JMU and Appy). The third seed has to go to Weber St if they win out. The conf champ from the BSC will get a seed. As for the fourth seed, it will go one of four ways: Nova, Cal Poly, UNI, or SIU. This all depends on what happens to close out the season.

Nova gets the seed on a win AND SIU loss OR a UNI loss OR a NDSU win (devalues SDSU on a power ranking scale) AND a Cal Poly loss

SIU gets the seed on a win plus a SDSU win AND a Cal Poly loss

UNI gets the seed on a win, a SIU loss and a Nova loss plus a Cal Poly. (Outside of SDSU, dosen't seem to have any other win to put a finger on)

Cal Poly win and gets the seed. Loose and forget about it.

The ONLY way Montana gets a seed is they have to wrestle the BSC auto away from Weber. The BSC will not get two seeds with the CAA being the better conference and they will get the two seeds if the committee will give a second seed to a conference.

4th and What?
November 16th, 2008, 04:03 PM
1 more week to go, but the arguement is improving for JMU, App, Weber, Montana. Villanova just isn't dominating weaker teams the way Montana/Cal Poly/Weber are. If Cal Poly can get a win in Wisconsin they will take a seed, otherwise I think the Big Sky is getting two in.

Skjellyfetti
November 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Is there any possibility that Montana could get a 3 seed? I would love to have the possibility of a Montana - App semifinal game in Boone.

xprayx

Houndawg
November 16th, 2008, 04:15 PM
1 more week to go, but the arguement is improving for JMU, App, Weber, Montana. Villanova just isn't dominating weaker teams the way Montana/Cal Poly/Weber are. If Cal Poly can get a win in Wisconsin they will take a seed, otherwise I think the Big Sky is getting two in.

Like he said, if anyone gets two it will be the CAA.

Beside being a homer, I think SIU has a strong case if they win at IlSt because they would be entering the playoffs on a seven game winning streak and they haven't trailed yet in any of their wins, in spite of using the third quarter for a power nap every week.

Pantherpower
November 16th, 2008, 04:44 PM

If dominating weaker teams is a criteria for a seed than UNI is in great shape! The Panthers haven't allowed a touchdown in three weeks and have posted back to back shutouts. Against an avg. to above avg. WIU team three weeks ago, UNI held the Leathernecks to two field goals at their place.

UNI has outscored WIU, MSU and ISU 100-6 in the last three weeks with two of those games being on the road. Weak competition or not, that's damned impressive!

ValleyChamp
November 16th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I think the top two seeds are just about locked in barring anything absolutly crazy (JMU and Appy). The third seed has to go to Weber St if they win out. The conf champ from the BSC will get a seed. As for the fourth seed, it will go one of four ways: Nova, Cal Poly, UNI, or SIU. This all depends on what happens to close out the season.

Nova gets the seed on a win AND SIU loss OR a UNI loss OR a NDSU win (devalues SDSU on a power ranking scale) AND a Cal Poly loss

SIU gets the seed on a win plus a SDSU win AND a Cal Poly loss

UNI gets the seed on a win, a SIU loss and a Nova loss plus a Cal Poly. (Outside of SDSU, dosen't seem to have any other win to put a finger on)

Cal Poly win and gets the seed. Loose and forget about it.

The ONLY way Montana gets a seed is they have to wrestle the BSC auto away from Weber. The BSC will not get two seeds with the CAA being the better conference and they will get the two seeds if the committee will give a second seed to a conference.

I think that if UNI wins out, they get the seed over SIU, regardless if SIU wins out or not.

Pantherpower
November 16th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I think that if UNI wins out, they get the seed over SIU, regardless if SIU wins out or not.

I love your enthusiasm (and hope it's true!) but think that SIU needs to lose to the Redbirds. That being said, I think that the the Redbirds have this one circled and take the Salukis down. Panthers receive the #4 seed, and proceed to start the engine and march towards Chattanooga for a rematch with ASU.xthumbsupx

Houndawg
November 16th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I love your enthusiasm (and hope it's true!) but think that SIU needs to lose to the Redbirds. That being said, I think that the the Redbirds have this one circled and take the Salukis down. Panthers receive the #4 seed, and proceed to start the engine and march towards Chattanooga for a rematch with ASU.xthumbsupx

This is true, and we're sure to make it more interesting than necessary because that's how we do things this year, but we were picked to finish fifth in the MVC this year and we've got something to prove.

:D Besides, we only have 5 seniors in our first 22 on offense and four seniors in our first 22 on defense, we want them to play some more.

Pantherpower
November 16th, 2008, 05:50 PM
This is true, and we're sure to make it more interesting than necessary because that's how we do things this year, but we were picked to finish fifth in the MVC this year and we've got something to prove.

:D Besides, we only have 5 seniors in our first 22 on offense and four seniors in our first 22 on defense, we want them to play some more.

Houndawg, no question what SIU has done has been mighty impressive this year. SIU made a fantastic hire in Lennon (have said that from day one). You've seen other posts from me on the whole IlSU-SIU upset and am sure that it is sounding like a broken record. I just have a gut feeling on this one (there, said it for the 284th time).xthumbsupx

Houndawg
November 16th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Houndawg, no question what SIU has been mighty impressive this year. SIU made a fantastic hire in Lennon (have said that from day one). You've seen other posts from me on the whole IlSU-SIU upset and am sure that it is sounding like a broken record. I just have a gut feeling on this one (there, said it for the 284th time).xthumbsupx

xpeacex I don't disagree with you that ISU always plays us tough even in a down year. They're one of the few teams to win at the Mac since Jerry Kill arrived and beating us would make their season a success. But, aside from the AQ incentive, I think we still have quite a few players who remember their crowd throwing batteries at their place and chanting "seizure" at Kill. We'll be up for the game, hopefully not over-high.

Pantherpower
November 16th, 2008, 06:17 PM
xpeacex I don't disagree with you that ISU always plays us tough even in a down year. They're one of the few teams to win at the Mac since Jerry Kill arrived and beating us would make their season a success. But, aside from the AQ incentive, I think we still have quite a few players who remember their crowd throwing batteries at their place and chanting "seizure" at Kill. We'll be up for the game, hopefully not over-high.

Did not know about the batteries and "seizure" chant. Wow. Are you sure you weren't playing in Philly?:) In all seriousness, that is just horrible.

It appears (fingers crossed) that Coach Kill has his condition under control. I haven't heard of any episodes since a couple of years ago.

millwoga1
November 16th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I- JMU
II App
III. Weber
IV Montana

I think that is who deserves the seeds at this point but will present the selection committee with a challenge keeping both Western schools at home throughout the playoffs, so I could see only one of those getting a national seed. Next three in order to me go Villanova, UNI, Wofford

skinny_uncle
November 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM
JMU, App, Weber, Montana

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/skinny_uncle/homer-09.gif

skinny_uncle
November 16th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Houndawg, no question what SIU has done has been mighty impressive this year. SIU made a fantastic hire in Lennon (have said that from day one). You've seen other posts from me on the whole IlSU-SIU upset and am sure that it is sounding like a broken record. I just have a gut feeling on this one (there, said it for the 284th time).xthumbsupx
You have gotta quit listening to Cap'n Cat.

ValleyChamp
November 16th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Cap'n Cat is wise.

mlbowl
November 17th, 2008, 12:38 AM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/skinny_uncle/homer-09.gif

rep points fa sho!

Pantherpower
November 17th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Cap'n Cat is wise.

Yes, the force is strong with him.:)

Houndawg
November 17th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Yes, the force is strong with him.:)

He is wise beyond his hair.

petethepenguin15
November 19th, 2008, 06:19 PM
JMU, App, Weber, and my longshot Cal Poly

igo4uni
November 19th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Cap'n Cat is wise.

and, let's face it, downright sexy.xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2008, 08:29 AM
The Big Sky will get and deserve only one seed (Weber St). The only way Montana gets a seed is if Weber loses this week or the 'committte' goes against their own guidelines and uses financial considerations as a factor. Assuming everyone wins this week.. the seeds.. based on merit should be...

1 - JMU
2 - ASU
3 - Weber St
4 - Villanova

Houndawg
November 20th, 2008, 08:53 AM
The Big Sky will get and deserve only one seed (Weber St). The only way Montana gets a seed is if Weber loses this week or the 'committte' goes against their own guidelines and uses financial considerations as a factor. Assuming everyone wins this week.. the seeds.. based on merit should be...

1 - JMU
2 - ASU
3 - Weber St
4 - Villanova

If SIU wins this week they should get a seed over either weber or nova.

mlbowl
November 20th, 2008, 10:21 AM

1 - JMU
2 - ASU
3 - Weber St
4 - Villanova

I noticed you have JMU AND Villanova in your top 4xrolleyesx ...Why do you feel Villanova deserves a seed over Montana, Cal Poly, SIU, UNI...???East Coast bias served fresh dailyxthumbsupx

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I noticed you have JMU AND Villanova in your top 4xrolleyesx ...Why do you feel Villanova deserves a seed over Montana, Cal Poly, SIU, UNI...???East Coast bias served fresh dailyxthumbsupx

I posted this yesterday... but I'll add to it..

Let's compare the performance of all the teams:

Nova has wins over three playoff caliber teams.. #7 Richmond, #11 UNH, #16 W&M

Montana has one win over a playoff caliber team.. #3 Cal Poly

Weber St has one win over a playoff caliber team.. #5 Montana

SIU has one win over a playoff caliber team.. #4 UNI

UNI has zero wins over playoff caliber teams

Cal Poly has no wins over playoff caliber teams.. but one win over a bad FBS school (1-10 San Diego St)

Nova wins are all in the FCS

Montana has one non FCS win

Weber has two non FCS wins

SIU's wins are all in the FCS

UNI's wins are all in the FCS

Nova's defeats were to FBS West Virginia and a 4 point loss to #1 JMU

Montana's loss was by 17 points to #8 Weber St

Weber St defeats were to FBS Hawaii and Utah

SIU defeats were to unranked North Dakota St and FBS Northwestern

UNI defeats were to #10 SIU and FBS BYU

Cal Polys lost to #5 Montana

It's pretty apparent that Nova has three good wins.. while no one else has more than one. Also Nova's loss.. a 'hail mary' on the last play of the game was to #1 JMU. Everyone else.. other than Weber (who should be seeded) has lost to a lower (than JMU) ranked FCS team.

I think that should answer your question... ;)

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2008, 12:00 PM
If SIU wins this week they should get a seed over either weber or nova.

SIU lost to unranked NDST.. case closed.. :p

Grizaholic17
November 20th, 2008, 12:11 PM

But when stacking up conferences it's hard to tell Chicken. Those teams may be ranked, but cross conference doesn't occur until playoffs. So do you say that a Big Sky Conference Champion is worse than a CAA 2nd at large even though the Big Sky Conference is ranked just below in the Saragin and GPI?

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2008, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=Grizaholic17;1216486]But when stacking up conferences it's hard to tell Chicken. Those teams may be ranked, but cross conference doesn't occur until playoffs. [QUOTE]

Forget the rankings if you wish.. how about we use playoff history??? :p

tingly
November 20th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I have jmu, app, nova, weber. Schedule, win-loss record and head-to-head are mostly all the committee or anybody have to consider. They may use ratings, rankings and such, but that's all based on schedule, record and head-to-head. There's a big advantage if you're in the CAA this season. I'd be surprised if anything like, "should we have the 5th place team here go in over the 2nd place team there?" is discussed, cuz the answer takes them back to schedules, records and head-to-heads.

I hope Weber is the 4 seed so Poly won't be in ASU's half of the bracket. They scare me more.

Houndawg
November 20th, 2008, 01:32 PM
SIU lost to unranked NDST.. case closed.. :p

xnonox Nix nix, your poultryness.

At the time the match-up was #11 SIU @ #13 NDSU (homecoming). Not saying that Villanova doesn't have a better case this week, but I think you should state your case using the rankings of the teams at the time the game was played, it may make your case even stronger.xpeacex

Since barely losing that day SIU is on a six game winning streak going into this weekend @ IlSt. During that six game winning streak they have not trailed for one second (00:00). The case remains open.

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2008, 02:19 PM
xnonox Nix nix, your poultryness.

At the time the match-up was #11 SIU @ #13 NDSU (homecoming). Not saying that Villanova doesn't have a better case this week, but I think you should state your case using the rankings of the teams at the time the game was played, it may make your case even stronger.xpeacex

Since barely losing that day SIU is on a six game winning streak going into this weekend @ IlSt. During that six game winning streak they have not trailed for one second (00:00). The case remains open.

You KNOW it's a god awful season when I'm reduced to defending the likes of Villanova... xoopsx

mlbowl
November 20th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I think that should answer your question... ;)

[/B][/I]

It does......East Coast bias;)

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2008, 04:39 PM
It does......East Coast bias;)

Nope.. more like my 'facts' over your 'opinion'... ;)

charliej
November 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM
You KNOW it's a god awful season when I'm reduced to defending the likes of Villanova... xoopsx

And you're doing a great job of it too! xnodx

Thats gotta stingxsmiley_wix

mlbowl
November 20th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Nope.. more like my 'facts' over your 'opinion'... ;)

Montana is #3 GPI while Nova is #5 GPI....just stating a "fact"

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2008, 05:52 PM
And you're doing a great job of it too! xnodx

Thats gotta stingxsmiley_wix

Just being honest.. Nova deserves a seed and any unbiased fan who looks at their season this year would have to agree. The fact is Nova was a fluke 'hail mary' play away from being unbeaten in the FCS and probably ranked #1. Nova is very good and UD is very bad.. which makes this UD/Nova game the only one in the last 40+ yrs that the Hens have no chance to win.

mlbowl
November 20th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Just being honest.. Nova deserves a seed and any unbiased fan who looks at their season this year would have to agree. The fact is Nova was a fluke 'hail mary' play away from being unbeaten in the FCS and probably ranked #1. Nova is very good and UD is very bad.. which makes this UD/Nova game the only one in the last 40+ yrs that the Hens have no chance to win.

Apparently you didn't catch the Towson game last weekxrolleyesx

Henny
November 20th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Even if 'Nova deserved it, think about what the selection committee has in mind.

Montana = 24,000 in paid attendance

'Nova = 3,000 in paid attendance

You do the math

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2008, 07:10 PM

I caught it.. just like I caught the Griz/Central Washington (whoever they are) game a while ago... :p

gbhmt
November 20th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I caught it.. just like I caught the Griz/Central Washington (whoever they are) game a while ago... :p

I don't remember either, I just remember they were sure a lot better than Towson.

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Even if 'Nova deserved it, think about what the selection committee has in mind.

Montana = 24,000 in paid attendance

'Nova = 3,000 in paid attendance

You do the math

finances are not suposed to be a factor in the seeding.. but we will see.

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I don't remember either, I just remember they were sure a lot better than Towson.

Sure they are... xliarx

charliej
November 20th, 2008, 07:21 PM

Yep...that was an ugly game. I wouldn't think it any worse than a 3 pt win over a DII in the final seconds tho.;)

Hennys post has me more worried however.If seed is based on money,it'll go to Montana.