PDA

View Full Version : SLC Playoff/Championship Scenarios

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2005, 08:27 PM
SLC Standings (If Nicholls wins tonight against SELA)

Nich 4-1 vs McN
TexSt 4-1 vs SHSU
McN 3-2 @ Nich
NWSt 2-3 vs SFA
SHSU 2-3 @ TexSt
SELA 2-4 --
SFA 1-4 @ NWSt

SLC Scenarios
Nicholls win, they're IN as auto-bid based on head-to-head.
Nicholls loss, TexSt win - TexSt is IN as auto-bid based on record.
Nicholls loss, TexSt loss, McN win meaning a three-way tie - TexSt is IN as auto-bid based on time since last playoff appearance (never).

Bid Scenario:
Nicholls win - IN regardless
Nicholls loss - OUT, 5-4 record
TexSt win - IN regardless of SLC auto-bid with 9-2 record
TexSt loss - BUBBLE, leaning OUT, will lack seven Div I wins and would be a stretch at 8-3, 6-3 in Div I
McN win - OUT, I do not see a 6-3 team in despite hardships due to SELA loss and blowout in San Marcos against TexSt
McN loss - OUT

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Thought I'd give this a bump since everyone seems to have no idea about the SLC playoff situation in all of I-AA (or atleast on this board). ;)

blackfordpu
November 13th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Nicholls in because they will win next week at home. Texas State, if they get past Sam Houston this weekend they could be in but the two D-II games on their schedule may keep them out.

There really are no other contenders.

bobcatfan06
November 13th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Nicholls in because they will win next week at home. Texas State, if they get past Sam Houston this weekend they could be in but the two D-II games on their schedule may keep them out.

Nope, just like Sam's two D-II wins didn't keep them out last year. My how ya'll forget. :bang:

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Nope, just like Sam's two D-II wins didn't keep them out last year. My how ya'll forget. :bang:

Called quality OOC wins...Montana ring a bell? Would've liked to win SW Missouri St game, bah!

You guys did not win ONE solid out of conference game...but you guys would be IN with a win.

bobcatfan06
November 13th, 2005, 08:57 PM
I'll give you that, but your buddy up there just said D-II wins. Nothing about anything else. And also, do you think the performance against A&M would make an impression on the committee or no dice since A&M apparently sucks this season?

blackfordpu
November 13th, 2005, 09:02 PM
I'll give you that, but your buddy up there just said D-II wins. Nothing about anything else. And also, do you think the performance against A&M would make an impression on the committee or no dice since A&M apparently sucks this season?

I don't see how the A&M loss will help you in this argument. Sorry, I thought the OOC games were just understood.

ThreadStopper
November 13th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Cal Poly goes 9-2 in 2004 with one D-II win and watched the playoffs from San Luis Obispo, California.

Retro
November 13th, 2005, 09:49 PM
I don't see how any you can easily discount Mcneese's chances if they win..

They would be 6 - 3 with 2 I-AA losses and 1 to Respectable I-A Southern Miss.. 2 losses are to top 10 I-AA team and mediocre conference team...

All wins againest I-AA including top 10 Ga Southern.. 2 games missed would have been likely wins againest Southern and Southern Utah.. NW OK St game was made up with scheduling of texas southern.

Look at all the 3 loss teams in the top 25 and compare who they lost to and who they beat.. Mcneese has no DIV II teams or lower on their final schedule and had to go through HELL this season just to play the games they did.

blackfordpu
November 13th, 2005, 10:48 PM
I don't see how any you can easily discount Mcneese's chances if they win..

They would be 6 - 3 with 2 I-AA losses and 1 to Respectable I-A Southern Miss.. 2 losses are to top 10 I-AA team and mediocre conference team...

All wins againest I-AA including top 10 Ga Southern.. 2 games missed would have been likely wins againest Southern and Southern Utah.. NW OK St game was made up with scheduling of texas southern.

Look at all the 3 loss teams in the top 25 and compare who they lost to and who they beat.. Mcneese has no DIV II teams or lower on their final schedule and had to go through HELL this season just to play the games they did.

Sorry Retro, I don't see the SLC getting three teams in the playoffs. McNeese has played a heck of a season, especially under the circumstances but I fear that if Nicholls and Texas State win out you are on the outside looking in.

Retro
November 13th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Blackford, Are you paying attention????

I don't expect mcneese to get in unless they win at nicholls and thus knocking Nicholls likely out of the picture, because nicholls would have 4 losses.. Tex state and mcneese only 3 max each... Despite sharing the title still possible with tex state and nicholls, only 2 teams will get in.

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2005, 07:18 AM

A&M loss doesn't help nor does it really hurt because it was I-A game. Regardless of score, it was a loss. That's how I think they'd view it.

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Cal Poly goes 9-2 in 2004 with one D-II win and watched the playoffs from San Luis Obispo, California.

Where was Cal Poly in the GPI? The Bobcats are going to be a top 5, top 6 team at the end of the year as far as GPI goes, which I think will be their saving grace...

ThreadStopper
November 14th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Where was Cal Poly in the GPI? The Bobcats are going to be a top 5, top 6 team at the end of the year as far as GPI goes, which I think will be their saving grace...

I think a Cal Poly Vs Texas State game would be a great matchup!

McTailGator
November 15th, 2005, 09:06 AM

Nich will NOT beat McNeese..

McNeese has figured out the Triple option.

Bobcat94
November 15th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Tailgator,

Good luck at Nicholls. Hay will you start another thread to described what you said about the bid process in the other one. I am seeing two different opinions right now, which are:

1. Who bids the most, wins the home game
2. As long as the higher ranked team meets the minimum then they host.

Seems like you should know with McNeese's history.

Thanks!!!

TexasTerror
November 15th, 2005, 10:21 AM

Didn't work for Western Kentucky last year...

McNeese72
November 15th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Tailgator,

Good luck at Nicholls. Hay will you start another thread to described what you said about the bid process in the other one. I am seeing two different opinions right now, which are:

Thanks!!!

I don't know how they are doing it this year but in the recent past it was number two for the seeded teams (top 4 ??).

For all the others it was number 1 + a few other factors such as attendance, history of hosting, etc. It's all in the NCAA D-IAA playoff handbook. I don't have time to go look for it on the NCAA site.

McNeese72
November 15th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Site Determination. With regard to first-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in
addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3, the NCAA Division I-AA Football
Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff
sites:
a. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees,
which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed
budget:
First round—$30,000
Quarterfinal—$40,000
Semifinal—$50,000
b. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites
to the top four seeded teams.
c. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded,
criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated
net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (i.e.,
conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents),
and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).
d. If a quarterfinal or semifinal playoff site is not available due to the fact the institutions
involved did not submit a proposed budget, the committee will contact the institutions
and offer the opportunity to submit a bid at the current round’s minimum financial
guarantee level. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine the host
institutions by applying the championship site-selection criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.
e. If no institution is willing to submit a proposed budget at the current level, the previous
round’s minimum financial guarantee will be offered. If seeded teams are not involved,
the committee will determine the host institutions by applying the championship siteselection
criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.
f. The committee will consider previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of
the prospective host institution.

Retro
November 15th, 2005, 03:55 PM
f. The committee will consider previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of the prospective host institution.

I guess that rules Texas State out! :D

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 15th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I guess that rules Texas State out! :D

and SFA, NWSt., and McNeese too... :deadhorse :D

kats89
November 15th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Tailgator,

Thanks!!!

Looks as if you don't know. Only the TOP 4 SEEDS are guaranteed home playoff games. After that, it is anybody's guess. Better hope your AD sharpens the old pencil.

McNeese75
November 15th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Tx State better hope they find a way to somehow slip in the top 4, otherwise they very well may be "On the Road again" :eek: :D

McTailGator
November 16th, 2005, 08:30 AM
and SFA, NWSt., and McNeese too... :deadhorse :D

McNeese is a place every playoff fan wants to come to...

TxSU would be a good host if you move your players across the field to stand in front of your students (who are awefull brats :asswhip: ).

The SLC will make this a rule next year.

Everyone has assholes in the stands, but its where you place your assholes that makes a difference. (;

JohnStOnge
November 16th, 2005, 09:39 AM

I think Nicholls has to be favored but I don't think it's any lock. As noted on other threads, McNeese held Nicholls and its option offense to 9 points last year during a season in which the Cowboys gave up 38 points per game and 50 or more five times. And they held Georgia Southern...which wrote the book on double wing option offense...to fewer rushing and total yards than anybody except Appalachian State in 2005.

I think Appalachian State is a national title contender this year.

Put it this way: If they can beat Georgia Southern at Statesboro, they can beat Nicholls State at Thibodaux. I don't think you'll find too many poeple familiar with I-AA who are going to say "Thibodaux" when asked which is the tougher assignment. Whether they actually do it or not is another question.

blackfordpu
November 16th, 2005, 09:39 AM

TxSU would be a good host if you move your players across the field to stand in front of your students (who are awefull brats :asswhip: ).

Everyone has assholes in the stands, but its where you place your assholes that makes a difference. (;

Well put TailGator, and Tx State is full of them. :)

HPCAT
November 16th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Well put TailGator, and Tx State is full of them. :)

Yes, every time SHS visits. :D

bobcatfan06
November 16th, 2005, 04:10 PM

You guys are still crying 'bout this??? It was 2 freakin' weeks ago. :bang: :deadhorse

blackfordpu
November 16th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Yes, every time SHS visits. :D

ba bum bum, dddsshhhh.

Good one HPCAT. :)

BCisforBobcatTX
November 16th, 2005, 07:10 PM
so what's sam's record this season? 3-7? yea so shut your piehole terror, i'm sorry sam sucks so much....wait, no i'm not :)

TX state will win against sam

McNeese stands a good chance against Nicholls and Texas State(unless i'm mistaken, i'm a lil drunk right now so pardon) will be outright champions unlike sam's CO-champions

Awright, later, time to drink more, again, i'm so sorry that sam sucks as badly as they did this year.....bitches

November 16th, 2005, 07:24 PM
... McNeese State could tie for the Southland title if they defeat Nicholls State and Texas State loses to Sam Houston State. The Cowboys, would win any three-way tie scenarios to gain the automatic SLC bid. ...

http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=74238

TexasTerror
November 16th, 2005, 08:23 PM
so what's sam's record this season? 3-7? yea so shut your piehole terror, i'm sorry sam sucks so much....wait, no i'm not :)

You guys haven't done a thing yet. Beat the Kats and then talk I-AA playoffs. If you make noise there (especially away from San Marcos), then that's one thing...but if not, your an over-rated team.

You guys are having a great year, but a loss, it's over. Simple as that and Barrick, Bailiff and Brent will be having Thanksgiving together. We'll see what happens on Saturday. Could make for an interesting day in the SLC for sure.

November 16th, 2005, 08:24 PM
nicholls is not the same team it was last year, and if there is a team in louisiana that has been left out of the papers all year it is nicholls. last year to go 5-5 and this year to be in the drivers seat for the championship is amazing. mcneese has been through alot but the colonels have been there two years in a row. i have to say the cowboys will be like the other teams looking for a smaller slower team as in the past. not the same ole same ole on the bayou!

McNeese75
November 16th, 2005, 11:26 PM
nicholls is not the same team it was last year, and if there is a team in louisiana that has been left out of the papers all year it is nicholls. last year to go 5-5 and this year to be in the drivers seat for the championship is amazing. mcneese has been through alot but the colonels have been there two years in a row. i have to say the cowboys will be like the other teams looking for a smaller slower team as in the past. not the same ole same ole on the bayou!

No doubt the Colonels are a good team this year but "not the same ole same ole on the bayou" is going to be slow compared to Foster and company from GSU :nod:

txstatebobcat
November 17th, 2005, 02:01 AM
The biggest difference between NSU and Georgia Southern is that Nicholls St actually has a good defense. McNeese St may hold the colonels to just nine points, however that may be enough for NSU to win the game.

If Nicholls gets past McNeese I'm actually looking forward for them to go to Montana. I truly think that Nicholls would win against the Griz.

November 17th, 2005, 11:49 AM
mcneese has been the big dawg for several years, its nice to see the something new. whoever wins it will be a great game to watch. texas state will beat SH by 20 and any SLC fan who pays attention knows that. mcneese knows that they are playing for pride. nicholls has more gain by winning so i look for them to be more motivated. good luck cowboys and see you on saturday.

TypicalTribe
November 17th, 2005, 11:53 AM
The biggest difference between NSU and Georgia Southern is that Nicholls St actually has a good defense. McNeese St may hold the colonels to just nine points, however that may be enough for NSU to win the game.

If Nicholls gets past McNeese I'm actually looking forward for them to go to Montana. I truly think that Nicholls would win against the Griz.

Obviously, you haven't been paying attention to what happens to SLC teams in Missoula in late November. It's not pretty.

I'll pull for the upset, but it's not happening.

TexasTerror
November 17th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Bobcats are ussually getting ready for WBB in November...

Especially since the Bobcatfans war cry is "FIRE NUTT" (their MBB coach)...

blackfordpu
November 17th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Obviously, you haven't been paying attention to what happens to SLC teams in Missoula in late November. It's not pretty.

I'll pull for the upset, but it's not happening.

Not just SLC teams but ANY team that plays in Missoula has their work cut out for them. Their home record is absolutly crazy!

McNeese72
November 17th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Not just SLC teams but ANY team that plays in Missoula has their work cut out for them. Their home record is absolutly crazy!

I don't know. Our only trip there in the playoffs was in 94 and that was a hell of a game even though we lost.

blackfordpu
November 17th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Can someone post the Grizzlies all-time home record please? I have seen it before but can't seem to find it.

GrizSweeper
November 17th, 2005, 10:26 PM
The Griz are 120-16 in Washington Grizzly Stadium since it opened in 1986 through 2004

Retro
November 17th, 2005, 10:29 PM
This is what happens SOME slc teams in Montana!

http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL417/1033117/8328853/119133629.jpg

blackfordpu
November 17th, 2005, 10:40 PM
The Griz are 120-16 in Washington Grizzly Stadium since it opened in 1986 through 2004

Thank you! :)

GrizSweeper
November 17th, 2005, 10:43 PM
SLC teams in Missoula come playoff time

-MT 70 SFA 14
-MT 48 Nicholls 3
-MT 49 SHS 24
-MT 45 Northwestern State 14
-MT 56 Northwestern State 7
-MT 34 SHS 13

I'd be more than happy to add Nicholls to that list one more time

Retro
November 17th, 2005, 10:49 PM
1994 - Montana 30, Mcneese 28. At least 1 SLC teamcan make a game of it up there! :D

GrizSweeper
November 17th, 2005, 10:51 PM
yeah you guys were tough, heck of a football game

Dallas Demon
November 17th, 2005, 10:53 PM
2001 MT 28, Northwestern St. 19. This one went down to the wire and was only decided the last minute or so.

McNeese72
November 18th, 2005, 07:39 AM
SLC teams in Missoula come playoff time

-MT 70 SFA 14
-MT 48 Nicholls 3
-MT 49 SHS 24
-MT 45 Northwestern State 14
-MT 56 Northwestern State 7
-MT 34 SHS 13

I'd be more than happy to add Nicholls to that list one more time

You left out the 1994 McNeese game! Was that on purpose?

arkstfan
November 18th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Dude it's not just the Griz. It's whole freaking state.

1984 Montana State 34 Arkansas State 14 I-AA Quarterfinals at MSU.
1984 Montana State 19 La.Tech 6 I-AA Championship (in South Carolina though).

grizindabox
November 18th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I do not believe that Troy St was in the SLC yet, but I remember a 70-7 Griz victory over the Trojans in the 1996 semifinals.

elkmcc
November 18th, 2005, 01:06 PM
You left out the 1994 McNeese game! Was that on purpose?

Perhaps he was just trying to get you to respond to him Doc.

The McCowboys are the Griz achilles heel. They are one good reason this poster don't throw smack at the SLC. SFA might have had a few bad days at Wa/Griz but I would still say that J.Trotter was the best defensive player to ever wear a jersey in Wa/Griz.

How ya been Doc?

McTailGator
November 18th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I do not believe that Troy St was in the SLC yet, but I remember a 70-7 Griz victory over the Trojans in the 1996 semifinals.

Troy was indeed in the SLC that year. That was their first year.