PDA

View Full Version : Let me say this about UMass...

PapaBear
November 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Your team, fans -- and the posters on this board -- have shown extreme dignity and class after what had to be a bitterly disappointing loss. xbowx

I didn't hear one disparaging word the whole time I was at McGuirk -- or after the game. And I've read nothing but classy, sportsmanlike comments on this board -- both before and after the game.

(I thought Brown coulda given us some props during his CAA Press Conf today ... but coaches get a pass on this stuff.)

You've set a great example. Thank you and good luck next week against UNH. Feel free to take out ALLLLL your frustrations up in Durham.:D :D

Umass74
November 10th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Thank you Papa Bear. After a couple of one point losses to UMass at McGuirk, Maine was probably owed this one.

The loss to a missed extra point sorta defines this year, we're just a little away from being playoff worthy.

I already have tickets to UNH and we'll be pissed off enough to give them a hard time.

Good luck with the rest of your season---and hopefully in the playoffs.

KAUMASS
November 10th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Your team, fans -- and the posters on this board -- have shown extreme dignity and class after what had to be a bitterly disappointing loss. xbowx

I didn't hear one disparaging word the whole time I was at McGuirk -- or after the game. And I've read nothing but classy, sportsmanlike comments on this board -- both before and after the game.

(I thought Brown coulda given us some props during his CAA Press Conf today ... but coaches get a pass on this stuff.)

You've set a great example. Thank you and good luck next week against UNH. Feel free to take out ALLLLL your frustrations up in Durham.:D :D

Thanx for the comments..You guys have a good solid football team. I'm not saying we will beat UNH, but they will be in another very physical football game next weekend. Maine gets to play UNH after they have back to back games with 'Nova & UMass.xeekx xscanx I believe that gives Maine the edge in that game. Good luck the rest of the year.

dennisdent
November 10th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Feel the love from our CAA North brothers.xhurrayx

On the subject of the missed XP and Cuko: I deal with 18 year old PV2s who have to deal with life and death every day, and the after effects when they come home. If the worst thing for a kicker is to miss an XP in a college football game, his life is still golden.xbeerchugx

Just don't let it happen again.xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

WrenFGun
November 10th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I can't say I've shared exactly the same experiences with those at UMass, but I also can't say I'm the best fan in an intense atmosphere. What I respect about UMass fans is that they care deeply about the performance of their team, and they're aware of the competitive nature of the sport. They'll talk intelligently about things, but there is a not-so-friendly rivalry between UNH and UMass fans, particularly at McGuirk. Can't help but think it's associated with the close scores and close records of late.

Durham will be no different, but I can only hope the environment is half as good as being at McGuirk. Coming into the playoff game two years ago almost got us killed, as we walked straight through tailgating row with our UNH garb on. The marching band even marched around us while we were standing outside. All in good fun.

89Hen
November 10th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Saw some of the game on delay... UMass fans, what's up with attendance? Not intended as smack, but wow was that disappointing on TV for a team in the thick of the playoff hunt. :(

BTW, I've always enjoyed games in Amherst. xnodx

dennisdent
November 10th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Saw some of the game on delay... UMass fans, what's up with attendance? Not intended as smack, but wow was that disappointing on TV for a team in the thick of the playoff hunt. :(

BTW, I've always enjoyed games in Amherst. xnodx

Time (too early for hungover students) and weather--9,000+ is actually really good. The Williams@Amherst keeps people away because of the traffic on RT9 too--both games started at noon.

89Hen
November 10th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Time (too early for hungover students) and weather--9,000+ is actually really good.
I hear this excuse every week. You (UMass fans) need another.

dennisdent
November 10th, 2008, 04:45 PM

You asked the question--tried to answer it honestly.xrolleyesx

Maroon&White
November 10th, 2008, 04:56 PM

The attendance was around 6,000 lower then the average on the season. What other week did you hear that excuse?

You need a better question to ask. You know the answer, stop asking the question.

dennisdent
November 10th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Box score said: Attendance: 9182xrotatehx

Jackman
November 10th, 2008, 05:13 PM
We had 15k for Albany, 16.5k for Delaware, 16k for Richmond, and 12.5k for Bryant. The Maine game at noon was the first home game this season earlier than 3:30pm and the first game in the rain, so we had 9k. TV was showing the visitor's side.

Find me a CAA program besides Delaware and JMU that wouldn't be delighted with 9k in the rain, or in most cases 9k regardless of weather.

Maroon&White
November 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Bryant was at 1 and attendance largely helped by band day.