18. Maine 716
19. Harvard 650
20. Massachusetts 560
21. South Dakota St. 383
22. Tennessee-Martin 362
23. Colgate 336
24. Tennessee St. 322
25. Western Illinois 236
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Lafayette (47), Liberty (36), Jacksonville St. (21), North Dakota St. (17), Eastern Kentucky (10), Albany (8), Holy Cross (8), Prairie View A&M (8), Grambling St. (6), Montana St. (5)

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Maine
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Massachusetts

achrist70
November 10th, 2008, 12:06 PM
No big upsets so the poll is almost identical to last week

danefan
November 10th, 2008, 12:06 PM
My ballot:

Week 11
Approved

1.James Madison
2.Appalachian St.
3.Cal Poly
4.Villanova
5.Richmond
6.Northern Iowa
7.Weber St.
8.Furman
9.Montana
10.Wofford
11.New Hampshire
12.Southern Illinois
13.William & Mary
14.Elon
15.Central Arkansas
16.Maine
17.Western Illinois
18.Massachusetts
19.South Dakota St.
20.Tennessee-Martin
21.South Carolina St.
22.McNeese St.
23.Harvard
24.Tennessee St.
25.Colgate

DetroitFlyer
November 10th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Harvard #20 and Dayton does not even get five votes. This is getting to be one of the worst FCS polls in the land. Not much more than a popularity contest among FCS fans. Too bad....

dbackjon
November 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Harvard #20 and Dayton does not even get five votes. This is getting to be one of the worst FCS polls in the land. Not much more than a popularity contest among FCS fans. Too bad....

Please. Dayton has done NOTHING to deserve a vote.

crusader11
November 10th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Broken record...

GrizFamily
November 10th, 2008, 12:16 PM
How does Poly remain in front of the Montana? Weber should be higher and probably even higher than Montana, as much as that pains me to say.

WrenFGun
November 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Harvard has one loss, at a good Brown team that knocked Stony Brook off, by two points. They have good wins over Holy Cross (6-3 in the PL, hung tough with UMass) and over LaFayette (7-2, knocked off a "playoff contender" in Liberty).

Let's look at Dayton's resume. A win over Fordham, which the rest of the PL has been doing. A bad, bad loss at Duquesne. I mean, Butler had 4 games scheduled against non DI schools, San Diego doesn't play a good team until UC Davis, Valpo has three non DI schools, Davidson lost to a non DI school, Drake lost to the only team they played in Lehigh, who is middle of the road in the PL, Campbell is 0 for DI, RMU has 4 wins this season, and Fordham is 0-4 in the PL. Now, Duquesne, who beat Dayton, lost at a transitional school in Bryant.

So now, where is the quality? Harvard's wins are better than Dayton's, no doubt.

Grizaholic17
November 10th, 2008, 12:19 PM
As always, put Weber at least one spot higher. Overall, I like where it stands for now!

nmatsen
November 10th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I was afraid that Montana was going to jump us next week after looking at the polls and how close they were. Then I realized that like us they too play a winless football team. They are at home though, we must travel to Terre Haute. Also, don't worry about Cal Poly, first off I don't know if they will "smoke" UC Davis enough to get any style point, some have said (I don't know who or why) that UC Davis could come out of San Luis Obispo with a W. If not they will be getting a W in W in a couple of weeks moving UNI and Montana up to 3 and 4 respectively.

appfan2008
November 10th, 2008, 12:23 PM
i had samford at the bottom of my poll... i am surprised that they didnt recieve five votes...

dbackjon
November 10th, 2008, 12:27 PM
i had samford at the bottom of my poll... i am surprised that they didnt recieve five votes...

Samford only has 3 D-1 wins, over pathetic WCU, Lousy Citadel, and a rebuilding GSU.

Samford is not top 35, even.

andy7171
November 10th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I took a close look at my top ten and noticed something odd.

#3 Cal Poly lost to #5 Montana
#5 Montana lost to #8 Weber State
#8 Weber has only lost to FBS schools.

You would think we have things reversed. xeyebrowx

UNI Pike
November 10th, 2008, 12:34 PM
UC Davis is not the team of old. Middling at best.

The best thing that they could do is find a way to shorten the game with some 12-15 run only drives. Cal Poly really reminds me of the 2000 St Louis Rams - all offense, and enough defense to do the job (kind of the anti-Bears formula).

GrizFamily
November 10th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I was afraid that Montana was going to jump us next week after looking at the polls and how close they were. Then I realized that like us they too play a winless football team. They are at home though, we must travel to Terre Haute. Also, don't worry about Cal Poly, first off I don't know if they will "smoke" UC Davis enough to get any style point, some have said (I don't know who or why) that UC Davis could come out of San Luis Obispo with a W. If not they will be getting a W in W in a couple of weeks moving UNI and Montana up to 3 and 4 respectively.

Agreed. And on the off chance they do get a W in W, then it gets interesting. I'd still put us in ahead of them because of the head to head. And you could agrue that would make our win against them even better since it enhances both resumes.

And that leads to the question of who should be #3. That's another interesting discussion but I must admit to being quite biased. Lots of disucssion about that in the seeding threads.

The good news is it doesn't really matter. The top 16 will get in and in the end there will be no debate about who was better. I love the FCS!!

ericsaid
November 10th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Samford only has 3 D-1 wins, over pathetic WCU, Lousy Citadel, and a rebuilding GSU.

Samford is not top 35, even.

They lost by a blocked PAT to Furman, six points to Elon, and played App very very tough, and have yet to play Wofford. They also field one of the best run defenses in FCS.

Not to Mention they beat Georgia Southern by 10 in Paulson Stadium, which App Elon and Wofford couldn't do.

They deserve to atleast be mentioned.

appfan2008
November 10th, 2008, 12:39 PM
They lost by a blocked PAT to Furman, six points to Elon, and played App very very tough, and have yet to play Wofford. They also field one of the best run defenses in FCS.

Not to Mention they beat Georgia Southern by 10 in Paulson Stadium, which App Elon and Wofford couldn't do.

which is exactly the way i felt...

GrizFamily
November 10th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I took a close look at my top ten and noticed something odd.

#3 Cal Poly lost to #5 Montana
#5 Montana lost to #8 Weber State
#8 Weber has only lost to FBS schools.

You would think we have things reversed. xeyebrowx

It would be more logical that way. A great deal of discussion about that on the seeding threads. A self conducted survey of one says the leading option for seeding is to put Montana at #3 and Weber at 4. However the polling agency didn't publish the margin of error for the poll. ;-)

Appguy
November 10th, 2008, 12:44 PM
My continuing gripe is the under rating of Southern Illinois in comparison with a team they beat, Northern Iowa. Both have 1 FCS loss but we have a head to head showing which is better....In regards to the Cal Poly being above Montana, I think Cal Polys only gotten better since then(averaging over 50 a game) and Montana almost lost to a D2 since then.

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 10th, 2008, 12:47 PM
McNeese...huh???

ElonPride
November 10th, 2008, 12:49 PM

EXACTLY!!!!

Wasn't that also GSU's homecoming?

FargoBison
November 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM
My continuing gripe is the under rating of Southern Illinois in comparison with a team they beat, Northern Iowa. Both have 1 FCS loss but we have a head to head showing which is better....In regards to the Cal Poly being above Montana, I think Cal Polys only gotten better since then(averaging over 50 a game) and Montana almost lost to a D2 since then.

Cal Poly's schedule is weak, they are still in my top 5 but they've fallen behind both Montana and Weber State because of it. I know their weak schedule isn't all their fault due to a hurricane but it is what it is.

I will move SIU past UNI if they beat SDSU this week, I still have a few doubts about SIU.

Ivytalk
November 10th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Harvard has one loss, at a good Brown team that knocked Stony Brook off, by two points. They have good wins over Holy Cross (6-3 in the PL, hung tough with UMass) and over LaFayette (7-2, knocked off a "playoff contender" in Liberty).

Let's look at Dayton's resume. A win over Fordham, which the rest of the PL has been doing. A bad, bad loss at Duquesne. I mean, Butler had 4 games scheduled against non DI schools, San Diego doesn't play a good team until UC Davis, Valpo has three non DI schools, Davidson lost to a non DI school, Drake lost to the only team they played in Lehigh, who is middle of the road in the PL, Campbell is 0 for DI, RMU has 4 wins this season, and Fordham is 0-4 in the PL. Now, Duquesne, who beat Dayton, lost at a transitional school in Bryant.

So now, where is the quality? Harvard's wins are better than Dayton's, no doubt.

Very well put! Reppies for you! I'm getting tired of the Pioneer League's caterwauling about the Ivies.

bjtheflamesfan
November 10th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Here is my ballot along with my my methodology for ranking throughout the course of the season:

Win: move up depending on teams around in ranking
Lose to team ranked above more than 5 spots: 3-5 spots (5 max) depending on result
Lost to team within 5 spots of teams ranking: 3-5 spots depending on result
Lose to team ranked more than 5 spots below: 8 spots

With that said:

Week 11
Approved
1. James Madison
2. Appalachian St.
3. Richmond
4. Cal Poly
5. Montana
6. Northern Iowa
7. Wofford
8. Southern Illinois
9. Elon
10. Villanova
11. North Dakota St.
12. New Hampshire
13. Massachusetts
14. Harvard
15. Furman
16. Central Arkansas
17. Jacksonville St.
18. Tennessee-Martin
19. McNeese St.
20. Western Illinois
21. South Carolina St.
22. Liberty
23. Maine
24. Tennessee St.
25. Lafayette
W. Maine
L. Massachusetts

GrizFamily
November 10th, 2008, 12:56 PM

A 10-1 D2 and we didn't lose. What about the other work we have done since then? Montana has, in my opinion, improved much more than Poly since the game. You cannot logically put Cal Poly ahead of Montana at this point. The only reason I can see is that their loss was before ours and most pollsters just move teams up as teams in front of them lose.

And before you blast me about Montana being ahead of Weber, look back at my earlier posts on this thread.

DOME
November 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM
SIU may be getting the short end of the Stick but UNI didn't loose to the COWS up north who seem to be stuck in the mud this year. I think UNI is only looking better and better each week. Kinda wish we had a good game the next two weeks to finish with a headline rather than the Tbirds and Trees....

Ronbo
November 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM
A 10-1 DII that was reported to have 17 FBS transfers mostly from the PAC 10. This Central Washington team might be the one that knocks Grand Valley State off their high horse.xnodx

terrierbob
November 10th, 2008, 01:03 PM
[QUOTE=appfan2008;1200793]i had samford at the bottom of my poll... i am surprised that they didnt recieve five votes...[/QU

Hope they don't jump after we play them next week. xcoffeex

andy7171
November 10th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Here is my ballot along with my my methodology for ranking throughout the course of the season:

Lose to team ranked above more than 5 spots: 3-5 spots (5 max) depending on result

With that said:

Week 11
Approved
1. James Madison
2. Appalachian St.
3. Richmond
4. Cal Poly
5. Montana
6. Northern Iowa
7. Wofford
8. Southern Illinois
9. Elon
10. Villanova
11. North Dakota St.
12. New Hampshire
13. Massachusetts
14. Harvard
15. Furman
16. Central Arkansas
17. Jacksonville St.
18. Tennessee-Martin
19. McNeese St.
20. Western Illinois
21. South Carolina St.
22. Liberty
23. Maine
24. Tennessee St.
25. Lafayette
W. Maine
L. Massachusetts

Wow dude. You must HATE William and Mary! xconfusedx You must not have had Villanova ranked that weeke they beat the Tribe. They got knocked out of the top 25 and were forgotten! xlolx

DetroitFlyer
November 10th, 2008, 01:05 PM

Harvard's combined opponents record is 23-35.... Yep, sure looks like solid top 25 material to me.... Here is the deal, the top Ivy League team is going to be ranked in the top 25 every year. The same should be true for the top PFL team or the top NEC team, IF you can accept the fact the Ivy League team "deserves" to be ranked.

th0m
November 10th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I was gonna yell some that JMU lost #1 votes to ASU this week despite not having played, but then I noticed that there were just fewer voters :)

Look at me being all sensible and whatnot.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 10th, 2008, 01:07 PM

With that said:

Week 11
Approved
1. James Madison
2. Appalachian St.
3. Richmond
4. Cal Poly
5. Montana
6. Northern Iowa
7. Wofford
8. Southern Illinois
9. Elon
10. Villanova
11. North Dakota St.
12. New Hampshire
13. Massachusetts
14. Harvard
15. Furman
16. Central Arkansas
17. Jacksonville St.
18. Tennessee-Martin
19. McNeese St.
20. Western Illinois
21. South Carolina St.
22. Liberty
23. Maine
24. Tennessee St.
25. Lafayette
W. Maine
L. Massachusetts

I think you have missed Weber somewhere in your list, they have to be top 25 at a minimum without too much argument. xnodx

89Hen
November 10th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Here is the deal, the top Ivy League team is going to be ranked in the top 25 every year. The same should be true for the top PFL team or the top NEC team, IF you can accept the fact the Ivy League team "deserves" to be ranked.
Here is the deal. Of the three mentioned, only the NEC plays enough games against the autobid and highly ranked conferences to get a good idea of how they stack up.

Albany is the class of the NEC this year and is 1-3 vs the CAA. Now, in their defense, two of those were against what are perceived as teams near the top of the CAA (UMass and UNH). But their lone win was in OT to 1-5 (CAA) Hofstra and they lost to UD (2-4 CAA). Based on these games, I'd give Albany a chance to beat Towson, URI and Northeastern. So unless you are prepared to rank 9 CAA teams, the top of the NEC does not get one. xpeacex

bjtheflamesfan
November 10th, 2008, 01:12 PM
You are correct in that GrizFanStuckInUtah. Weber probably would have slotted in around where Wofford is. Weber has played very well and I think is very likely to get a seed. I vote depending on the teams I have in the previous week's ballot.

wkuhillhound
November 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I think you have missed Weber somewhere in your list, they have to be top 25 at a minimum without too much argument. xnodx

North Dakota State at 11?????? That pipe was awfully good. xnonono2x

danefan
November 10th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Here is the deal. Of the three mentioned, only the NEC plays enough games against the autobid and highly ranked conferences to get a good idea of how they stack up.

Albany is the class of the NEC this year and is 1-3 vs the CAA. Now, in their defense, two of those were against what are perceived as teams near the top of the CAA (UMass and UNH). But their lone win was in OT to 1-5 (CAA) Hofstra and they lost to UD (2-4 CAA). Based on these games, I'd give Albany a chance to beat Towson, URI and Northeastern. So unless you are prepared to rank 9 CAA teams, the top of the NEC does not get one. xpeacex

You are comparing Albany to the CAA teams. Try comparing them to the questionably ranked teams (non-CAA) and can you still say that every one of them deserves to be ranked ahead of Albany? Or are you saying that Albany scheduled itself out of the polls by volunteering to be compared to the top of FCS?

UNI Pike
November 10th, 2008, 01:19 PM

http://www.moonbattery.com/DonQuixoteWindmill.gif

bjtheflamesfan
November 10th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Yeah they are pretty high (although I was not smoking anything...I havent smoked a day in my life...personal conviction issues but that is neither here nor there). I moved them in after a number of the lower teams lost and that resulted in teams moving into the second third and quietly they have kept on winning and that is the big thing in my book.

LehighFan11
November 10th, 2008, 01:20 PM

I had them 24th.

leatherneck177
November 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM

I feel like I've heard this one before....

danefan
November 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I considered Samford, but record has to be a factor that is counted for something doesn't it?

If it doesn't I'm voting Delaware and Northeastern in the top 25 next week because they'd both beat 10 of the 25 teams listed.

Hansel
November 10th, 2008, 01:28 PM
EXACTLY!!!!

GSU is 5-5 with the following wins

3-7 Citadel 44-41 OT
3-8 WCU 38-31 OT
1-9 Chatty 52-28
2-8 N'eastern 34-27 OT
1-8 Austin Peay 34-20

I don't think beatin' GSU is somethin' you should hang your hat on this year

ElonPride
November 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM
GSU is 5-5 with the following wins

3-7 Citadel 44-41 OT
3-8 WCU 38-31 OT
1-9 Chatty 52-28
2-8 N'eastern 34-27 OT
1-8 Austin Peay 34-20

I don't think beatin' GSU is somethin' you should hang your hat on this year

You may be right....but Elon, Wofford and App only beat GSU by a combined 4 points!

dbackjon
November 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM

With that said:

Week 11
Approved
1. James Madison
2. Appalachian St.
3. Richmond
4. Cal Poly
5. Montana
6. Northern Iowa
7. Wofford
8. Southern Illinois
9. Elon
10. Villanova
11. North Dakota St.
12. New Hampshire
13. Massachusetts
14. Harvard
15. Furman
16. Central Arkansas
17. Jacksonville St.
18. Tennessee-Martin
19. McNeese St.
20. Western Illinois
21. South Carolina St.
22. Liberty
23. Maine
24. Tennessee St.
25. Lafayette
W. Maine
L. Massachusetts

How did this get approved?

NO WEBER

NO WILLIAM AND MARY?

North Dakota State at #11?

89HEN - you questioned my ballot, but are silent on this.

No offense BJ, but this is the worst ballot I have ever seen posted.

LehighFan11
November 10th, 2008, 01:31 PM

This is the mid-major debate. Do you rank a mid-major with a good record over a team from a big conference with a few losses? Could an unranked Delaware or NDSU team beat Albany, Colgate, Tenn St? Probably.

tribe_pride
November 10th, 2008, 01:35 PM
This is the mid-major debate. Do you rank a mid-major with a good record over a team from a big conference with a few losses? Could an unranked Delaware or NDSU team beat Albany, Colgate, Tenn St? Probably.

I am thinking the score would be something like 38-7 :D

mcveyrl
November 10th, 2008, 01:38 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

None taken, I'm sure...

LehighFan11
November 10th, 2008, 01:38 PM

Yes I understand. Wasn't that Albany's 4th CAA road game in a row? They don't have the depth do go through that stretch. I think a rematch with a week off would be very close.

dbackjon
November 10th, 2008, 01:39 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

mango43
November 10th, 2008, 01:49 PM

With that said:

Week 11
Approved
1. James Madison
2. Appalachian St.
3. Richmond
4. Cal Poly
5. Montana
6. Northern Iowa
7. Wofford
8. Southern Illinois
9. Elon
10. Villanova
11. North Dakota St.
12. New Hampshire
13. Massachusetts
14. Harvard
15. Furman
16. Central Arkansas
17. Jacksonville St.
18. Tennessee-Martin
19. McNeese St.
20. Western Illinois
21. South Carolina St.
22. Liberty
23. Maine
24. Tennessee St.
25. Lafayette
W. Maine
L. Massachusetts

Please explain to me how NDSU deserves to be ranked 11?? I really want to hear this?? What have they done?? Their one good win was against Southern Illinois, they lost to freaking Youngstown State

Husky Alum
November 10th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Very well put! Reppies for you! I'm getting tired of the Pioneer League's caterwauling about the Ivies.

You're going to have to define "caterwauling" to the guy from Dayton.

Houndawg
November 10th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Cosidering their circumstances, i.e., new coaching staff and completely different system, I believe they are under rated too. Problem is that I don't who above them doesn't deserve to be above them. UNI may be over rated, but not by more than two spots, imo.

grizband
November 10th, 2008, 01:54 PM

With that said:

Week 11
Approved
1. James Madison
2. Appalachian St.
3. Richmond
4. Cal Poly
5. Montana
6. Northern Iowa
7. Wofford
8. Southern Illinois
9. Elon
10. Villanova
11. North Dakota St.
12. New Hampshire
13. Massachusetts
14. Harvard
15. Furman
16. Central Arkansas
17. Jacksonville St.
18. Tennessee-Martin
19. McNeese St.
20. Western Illinois
21. South Carolina St.
22. Liberty
23. Maine
24. Tennessee St.
25. Lafayette
W. Maine
L. Massachusetts
Really, Weber State isn't even a top 25 team? xrolleyesx 5-4 NDSU is the number 11 team in the country? Terrible.

89Hen
November 10th, 2008, 01:58 PM
89HEN - you questioned my ballot, but are silent on this.

Easy there big fella, I don't read every post on AGS (but I do comment on just about every one xsmiley_wix ). Agreed, this ballot it inexcusable. Folks, if you can't take the time to check your ballots, you shouldn't be voting.

BTW, Ricky Bobby would have told you to qualify your statement with "With all due respect..." then you can say whatever you want and they can't be offended. :p

Rob Iola
November 10th, 2008, 02:03 PM

With that said:

Week 11
Approved
1. James Madison
2. Appalachian St.
3. Richmond
4. Cal Poly
5. Montana
6. Northern Iowa
7. Wofford
8. Southern Illinois
9. Elon
10. Villanova
11. North Dakota St.
12. New Hampshire
13. Massachusetts
14. Harvard
15. Furman
16. Central Arkansas
17. Jacksonville St.
18. Tennessee-Martin
19. McNeese St.
20. Western Illinois
21. South Carolina St.
22. Liberty
23. Maine
24. Tennessee St.
25. Lafayette
W. Maine
L. Massachusetts
No Delaware?

dbackjon
November 10th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Easy there big fella, I don't read every post on AGS (but I do comment on just about every one xsmiley_wix ). Agreed, this ballot it inexcusable. Folks, if you can't take the time to check your ballots, you shouldn't be voting.

BTW, Ricky Bobby would have told you to qualify your statement with "With all due respect..." then you can say whatever you want and they can't be offended. :p

With all due respect, Mr Hen...

Ballots like this is what the Poll Moderators should be looking for - glaring omissions. If a voter wants to rank UD 25th, fine, as long as they are aware they are doing it and not making a mistake (i.e. meant to rank the team right ahead of them in the drop down box).

Appguy
November 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Cosidering their circumstances, i.e., new coaching staff and completely different system, I believe they are under rated too. Problem is that I don't who above them doesn't deserve to be above them. UNI may be over rated, but not by more than two spots, imo.
but they BEAT UNI straight up. when your that close in the rankings they need to be arranged via head to head.

89Hen
November 10th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Ballots like this is what the Poll Moderators should be looking for - glaring omissions.
It is, but it's a very tough job. It's actually much easier to see wrong teams than ommissions. Think about it. They are looking at nearly 100 ballots each week and prior to this year, Weber is really not a name you'd notice was missing. xpeacex

Houndawg
November 10th, 2008, 02:12 PM
but they BEAT UNI straight up. when your that close in the rankings they need to be arranged via head to head.

I don't disagree, but under rating SIU is kind of a tradition here. Hell, the year we went 10-1, with only a 3 pt. loss to UNI, we got sent to eventual champ Delaware in the first round.

Rob Iola
November 10th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I don't disagree, but under rating SIU is kind of a tradition here. Hell, the year we went 10-1, with only a 3 pt. loss to UNI, we got sent to eventual champ Delaware in the first round.
In all fairness, that was a complete miscarriage of justice - you deserved a seed that year or at least a 1st round home game...

At least McNeese represented well for the top seed that year... xrolleyesx

dbackjon
November 10th, 2008, 02:20 PM
It is, but it's a very tough job. It's actually much easier to see wrong teams than ommissions. Think about it. They are looking at nearly 100 ballots each week and prior to this year, Weber is really not a name you'd notice was missing. xpeacex

True. But on the other hand, Weber is the type of team u should look out for, since they may be missed by some.

tribe_pride
November 10th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Bad example. You were down in the Delaware game 27-0 after 14 minutes and lost the game 48-7. They may have beaten everyone in the playoffs that year but not as easily as they did SIU.

The other playoff games that year:

UNI - 17-7 at half to a 37-7 win
Wofford 10-3 after 3 to a 24-9 win
Colgate 20-0 at half en route to a 40-0 win

SIU may be traditionally underrated but Delaware disposed of SIU the easiest of any of the playoff teams that year.

Houndawg
November 10th, 2008, 02:28 PM
xrolleyesx 20/20 hindsight, bro.

crunifan
November 10th, 2008, 02:30 PM

I will point out, and I think all SIU fans will agree with me here, that UNI and SIU is the biggest rivalry game in the MVC. For the past 5 or so years, this game has decided the conference championship. With that said, the home team has one each game for over a decade now. So, while SIU did win by three points, that doesn't necessarily mean SIU is a better team. Likewise last year, UNI escaped with a win over SIU. I would say both teams are quite evenly matched and both are worthy of top ten rankings.

89Hen
November 10th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Weber is the type of team u should look out for, since they may be missed by some.
Other ballots make up for that fact. xwhistlex

Woof
November 10th, 2008, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=bjtheflamesfan;1200864]Here is my ballot along with my my methodology for ranking throughout the course of the season:

22. Liberty xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

A bit of a homer pick after losing to the Blew Hose team that lost to CSU, don't you think ?xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

GrizFamily
November 10th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Note to Self: Never publish my AGS Ballot => CHECK

Houndawg
November 10th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I will point out, and I think all SIU fans will agree with me here, that UNI and SIU is the biggest rivalry game in the MVC. For the past 5 or so years, this game has decided the conference championship. With that said, the home team has one each game for over a decade now. So, while SIU did win by three points, that doesn't necessarily mean SIU is a better team. Likewise last year, UNI escaped with a win over SIU. I would say both teams are quite evenly matched and both are worthy of top ten rankings.

And they've both improved quite a bit.

blur2005
November 10th, 2008, 05:30 PM
http://www.moonbattery.com/DonQuixoteWindmill.gif
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

God, I laughed like hell when I saw that. It perfectly describes Pioneer League posters who can't seem to fathom why the league has trouble getting teams into the top 25...xrolleyesx

bjtheflamesfan
November 10th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I had LU actually dropped completely out of my rankings right after the Blue Hose loss based on my drop 8 spots for losing to an unranked team criteria (Tennessee-Martin is not affected by that this week since they played up a division)

ekufbfan
November 10th, 2008, 05:53 PM

With that said:

Week 11
Approved
1. James Madison
2. Appalachian St.
3. Richmond
4. Cal Poly
5. Montana
6. Northern Iowa
7. Wofford
8. Southern Illinois
9. Elon
10. Villanova
11. North Dakota St.
12. New Hampshire
13. Massachusetts
14. Harvard
15. Furman
16. Central Arkansas
17. Jacksonville St.
18. Tennessee-Martin
19. McNeese St.
20. Western Illinois
21. South Carolina St.
22. Liberty
23. Maine
24. Tennessee St.
25. Lafayette
W. Maine
L. Massachusetts

Huh?? Have you been keeping up with OVC or just guessing? Jacksonville State has lost to both EKU and UTM, there is no going back, those games are done, no "do over", yet you have them higher than UTMa nd no mention of EKU. I guess JSU is still riding the RP wave and folks only remember that he's at JSU and not JSU's record. BTW, EKU has not lost a game since they lost to TSU in Nashville back in Sept. We have Murray State at home this Saturday and then UTM at their place. We have largely been ignored and I have come to terms with that and the bias on this board. If we don't win the next two games then we should have been ignored. We win both and TSU loses another OVC game and we are in. EKU is always in the running for the conference championship, always, you don't believe that, ask TSU and UTM how many confernece championships they have won and how many times they have lost to EKU.............

uofmman1122
November 10th, 2008, 06:21 PM
My ballot, which didn't change very much from last week:

Week 11
Approved
1. Appalachian St.
2. Cal Poly
3. James Madison
4. Villanova
5. Montana
6. Richmond
7. Weber St.
8. Northern Iowa
9. Wofford
10. Southern Illinois
11. Elon
12. William & Mary
13. Furman
14. South Dakota St.
15. New Hampshire
16. McNeese St.
17. Maine
18. Harvard
19. Massachusetts
20. Tennessee-Martin
21. Colgate
22. South Carolina St.
23. Tennessee St.
24. Central Arkansas
25. North Dakota St.

FLAME ON! xflamemadx

xlolx

ccd494
November 10th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I had LU actually dropped completely out of my rankings right after the Blue Hose loss based on my drop 8 spots for losing to an unranked team criteria (Tennessee-Martin is not affected by that this week since they played up a division)

Your #13 just lost at home to your #23...

Chi Panther
November 10th, 2008, 09:03 PM

It happens....its more where they started the year in the polls.

Look at BYU and TCU also....

UNIFanSince1983
November 10th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Face it apparently we shouldn't even be ranked in the top 25. UNI is just always overrated and never deserves anything. If they could they wouldn't put us in the playoffs. Oh wait they never have unless we force them to by winning the worst autobid conference in the country.

JALMOND
November 10th, 2008, 10:04 PM
You are correct in that GrizFanStuckInUtah. Weber probably would have slotted in around where Wofford is. Weber has played very well and I think is very likely to get a seed. I vote depending on the teams I have in the previous week's ballot.

So what does Weber State have to do (that Liberty somehow did) to make your weekly poll? I see a couple of cupcakes on Liberty's schedule that are the same caliber as Weber's schedule, but I don't see any team on Liberty's schedule comparable to Weber's two losses (Hawaii and #7 Utah). Weber State's two losses are to the Utes and Rainbows, Liberty's two losses are to Lafayette and a blue hose (??--What is a blue hose anyway).

I'm calling a homer vote on this. No question. Weber State better move up 10-15 spots after their bye week this week for some credibility.

Native
November 10th, 2008, 11:00 PM
UC Davis is not the team of old. Middling at best.

The best thing that they could do is find a way to shorten the game with some 12-15 run only drives. Cal Poly really reminds me of the 2000 St Louis Rams - all offense, and enough defense to do the job (kind of the anti-Bears formula).

Yes, Cal Poly has the anti-Bears formula, but I guess not anti-Grizzly formula! xlolx xlolx xlolx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 10th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Note to Self: Never publish my AGS Ballot => CHECK

LOL That is why I just stay in the peanut gallery :D

Native
November 10th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Face it apparently we shouldn't even be ranked in the top 25. UNI is just always overrated and never deserves anything. If they could they wouldn't put us in the playoffs. Oh wait they never have unless we force them to by winning the worst autobid conference in the country.

Hmmm.... I hate to agree with a Panther fan, but you make some good points! xpeacex

coover
November 11th, 2008, 12:40 AM
If not they (Cal Poly) will be getting a W in W in a couple of weeks moving UNI and Montana up to 3 and 4 respectively.

Are you saying that Cal Poly will get a "W" (win) in "W" (Wisconsin)? And this will allow UNI and Montana to move up?

Frankly, Cal Poly can lose in Camp Randall bigtime, and they won't lose a single vote. Nobody expects Poly to do anything except show up. Poly wants to be healthy for the playoffs. They will not go into that game looking for a win. Of course, if the Badgers decide not to show up, Poly will put on a show and take anything they can get. Look for at least one Barden touchdown, but look for a lot of substitution from Poly and Wisconsin alike. Both want to get their Seniors in, Wisconsin because it will be Senior Day, and Poly, so their Senior subs can tell grandkids that they played Wisconsin.

JALMOND
November 11th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Are you saying that Cal Poly will get a "W" (win) in "W" (Wisconsin)? And this will allow UNI and Montana to move up?

Frankly, Cal Poly can lose in Camp Randall bigtime, and they won't lose a single vote. Nobody expects Poly to do anything except show up. Poly wants to be healthy for the playoffs. They will not go into that game looking for a win. Of course, if the Badgers decide not to show up, Poly will put on a show and take anything they can get. Look for at least one Barden touchdown, but look for a lot of substitution from Poly and Wisconsin alike. Both want to get their Seniors in, Wisconsin because it will be Senior Day, and Poly, so their Senior subs can tell grandkids that they played Wisconsin.

"When you punched the warden, was it worth it?"

"Yes!"

"Well, then, give me my ---damn helmet!"

Be even better if they could say they BEAT Wisconsin.xthumbsupx

Purple Knight
November 11th, 2008, 08:27 AM
EXACTLY!!!!

Add a Purple 'AMEN' to this thread.

Purple Knight
November 11th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsaid

They deserve to at least be mentioned.

EXACTLY!!!!

Wasn't that also GSU's homecoming?[/QUOTE]

Add a Purple 'amen' to this thread re: Samford.

nmatsen
November 11th, 2008, 08:55 AM

No thats my bad, I will fix it.

8-2 Cal-Poly = Bubble Teamxcoffeex

uofmman1122
November 11th, 2008, 08:58 AM
No thats my bad, I will fix it.

8-2 Cal-Poly = Bubble Teamxcoffeexxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

In the words of my French co-worker at Borders:

"You, sir, are a so funny joker!"

nmatsen
November 11th, 2008, 09:45 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

In the words of my French co-worker at Borders:

"You, sir, are a so funny joker!"

How am I a joker? Of Cal Poly's 6 D-I wins right now their wins total of 14 (average of 2.3 wins per victory so far) and you think they are going to easily get an at large with 7 D-I wins? I don't think so. A loss to Wisconsin and Cal Poly will be a member of the last in, last out group.

Here is your pudding.

1 San Diego State 1
2 Nicholl’s State 4
3 South Dakota State 6
4 Southern Utah 2
5 Idaho State 0
6 NC Central 1

xrulesx xrulesx

uofmman1122
November 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM
How am I a joker? Of Cal Poly's 6 D-I wins right now their wins total of 14 (average of 2.3 wins per victory so far) and you think they are going to easily get an at large with 7 D-I wins? I don't think so. A loss to Wisconsin and Cal Poly will be a member of the last in, last out group.

Here is your pudding.

1 San Diego State 1
2 Nicholl’s State 4
3 South Dakota State 6
4 Southern Utah 2
5 Idaho State 0
6 NC Central 1

xrulesx xrulesxThey've also destroyed every one of those teams (Save San Diego State...lol alliteration), and are ranked #3 in the country. Besides, they would have 8 D-I wins, had their game against McNeese not been canceled, and the committee has already said that game won't hurt Cal Poly's chances at all.

Hate it all you want, but Cal Poly is pretty much locked into the playoffs if they beat UC Davis this week, and a lock for a seed if they beat Wisconsin. xwhistlex

McNeese75
November 11th, 2008, 10:01 AM
They've also destroyed every one of those teams (Save San Diego State...lol alliteration), and are ranked #3 in the country. Besides, they would have 8 D-I wins, had their game against McNeese not been canceled, and the committee has already said that game won't hurt Cal Poly's chances at all.
Hate it all you want, but Cal Poly is pretty much locked into the playoffs if they beat UC Davis this week, and a lock for a seed if they beat Wisconsin. xwhistlex

xconfusedx Gotta link on that one somewhere?

nmatsen
November 11th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Should they beat Wisconsin they are a top 2 seed IMHO. The committee says a lot of stuff, doesn't make it true. They have not played a great schedule, they WILL have 7 D-I wins, it sucks that their game got cancelled against McNeese and your right, the committee won't count it as a loss, but they won't count it as a win either. NO TEAM FROM OUTSIDE AN AUTO BID CONFERENCE HAS EVER GOTTEN IN WITH 7 DI WINS! EVER! EVER! EVER!

This team might be an exception, to count them a lock though is a tad obsurd.

uofmman1122
November 11th, 2008, 10:17 AM
xconfusedx Gotta link on that one somewhere?After a little 1:15 a.m. searching, I came up with nothing.

Could have sworn I read a McNeese or Cal Poly fan say in another thread back when it happened that it wouldn't hurt either team's chances.

Should they beat Wisconsin they are a top 2 seed IMHO. The committee says a lot of stuff, doesn't make it true. They have not played a great schedule, they WILL have 7 D-I wins, it sucks that their game got cancelled against McNeese and your right, the committee won't count it as a loss, but they won't count it as a win either. NO TEAM FROM OUTSIDE AN AUTO BID CONFERENCE HAS EVER GOTTEN IN WITH 7 DI WINS! EVER! EVER! EVER!

This team might be an exception, to count them a lock though is a tad obsurd.There also hasn't been a potential 7-win at-large playoff team that had a game canceled due to a hurricane. xcoffeex

dbackjon
November 11th, 2008, 10:30 AM
don't forget - FBS wins are worth at least three FCS wins, right UNH? :p

BigApp
November 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM

http://blog.thefanyard.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/broken_record.jpg

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Cal Poly is a top 5 team hands down. If they would have played McNeese they would have beatin them too. Now as for us being ahead of Montana it happens in all sports. We lost before them and when they lost and we won we moved up. So eventually they feel behind us. Weber st being #8 is only because they had so far to move up in the polls. But it this whole thing works itself out. Thank GOD we have the Playoffs.

This weekend is the week Poly makes it into the playoffs.

nmatsen
November 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I just don't think if they have an L against Wisconsin that they are a top 5 team. Thats just my opinion, as yours is yours.

7 D-I wins against very, very poor competition, regardless of score (its not like you guys have won every game by 42 points) and a home loss to an OOC does not a top 5 team make.

IMHO

Listen, I am not trying to "argue" UNI ahead of Cal Poly, I am not so sure they deserve a top five ranking either, I just don't beleive Cal Poly does.

Beat Wisconsin and I will be singing your praises for the 1 seed.

malibudude
November 11th, 2008, 12:40 PM

Here is your pudding.

1 San Diego State 1 FBS one of two in FCS
2 Nicholl’s State 4 Actually NWT 6-3
3 South Dakota State 6 5-1 v MVFC
4 Southern Utah 2 4-5 1-0 v MVFC
5 Idaho State 0 well would beat the trees
6 NC Central 1 yeah not very good
7 South Dakota UNI 24 USD 13 CP 49 USD 22

xrulesx xrulesx

Lighten on the hate and try to appreciate, CP would have liked to play 11 games, but hurricanes are hard to argue with. We would have liked to play 12, but no one wanted to play us. Go figure.

LehighFan11
November 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Cal Poly is top 5, not really an argument against.

Khan4Cats
November 11th, 2008, 03:42 PM
don't forget - FBS wins are worth at least three FCS wins, right UNH? :p

Well, the last two years a 7-4 team (7 D-I wins) has been selected into the play-offs, one of the key factors on both of their resumes was an FBS win (Montana State in 2006 and UNH last year). So, I'm not sure if it counts as 3 wins, but it has helped in the past.

The questions are: 1) just how much weight will the committee give to the cancelled game and 2) how many other teams will be in the 8 D-I win category (or even 9) that Cal-Poly would be in competition with.

I definitely wouldn't be going into Camp Randall just for the "experience," and I'm sure the coaches and players won't, but if they do, they are putting their fate entirely at the mercy of the committee. Never a sure thing, that.

Of course, win out and I could see them as the #2 seed overall with 8 D-I wins including 2 FBS, regardless of whether most of the rest of their schedule was weak.

McNeese75
November 11th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Cal Poly is a top 5 team hands down. If they would have played McNeese they would have beatin them too. Now as for us being ahead of Montana it happens in all sports. We lost before them and when they lost and we won we moved up. So eventually they feel behind us. Weber st being #8 is only because they had so far to move up in the polls. But it this whole thing works itself out. Thank GOD we have the Playoffs.

This weekend is the week Poly makes it into the playoffs.

xnonox Now, possibly, early September, I doubt it.

LehighFan11
November 11th, 2008, 04:46 PM
xnonox Now, possibly, early September, I doubt it.

Why just because McNeese was overrated as a top 10?

McNeese75
November 11th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Why just because McNeese was overrated as a top 10?

xrolleyesx And you as a Lehigh fan would know what about a top 10 team? xcoffeex

wideright82
November 11th, 2008, 09:08 PM
xrolleyesx And you as a Lehigh fan would know what about a top 10 team? xcoffeex

xbawlingx don't take your anger out on Lehigh, he's at least witnessed his team play someone in the top 10. xthumbsupx

nmatsen
November 11th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Cal Poly is top 5, not really an argument against.

Ya, there is an argument against it, 7 D-I wins. An L at home to the only Top 15 team on the schedule. Even if the they played McNeese and won they would be 8-3 from a non auto bid league. I am not saying they aren't good, maybe even top 5, just saying there are arguments against it.

SLOfan
November 11th, 2008, 09:51 PM
How would they be 8-3 if they beat McNeese. Even if they lose to Wis they would still be 8-2.

LehighFan11
November 11th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Your kidding right?

SLOfan
November 11th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Lots of guys banging on Cal Poly for their schedule. Yes they have played some easy games the last few weeks. However, you cannot say Poly doesn't try to schedule the best games they can get. They schedule two FBS teams (one a preseason top 15 from the Big 10). They schedule Montana and a preseason FCS top 5 in McNeese (although Im sure some here will say they shouldn't have scheduled the game during hurricane season). They go on the road and beat SDSU. They win the games the are supposed to and do it convincingly. Their only loss is to a very good Montana team in the last second. Even the best teams can lose a close game to a top tier team (right ASU / Villanova?). It is just extremely difficult/impossible for a good team from the GWFC to get all the games they would like to get scheduled. Not many teams are willing to travel or play Poly OOC.

If they beat Davis this week, as they should, Poly will belong in the top tier of the playoffs and we are fortunate we all get to see how it plays out.

Jerbearasu
November 11th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Lots of guys banging on Cal Poly for their schedule. Yes they have played some easy games the last few weeks. However, you cannot say Poly doesn't try to schedule the best games they can get. They schedule two FBS teams (one a preseason top 15 from the Big 10). They schedule Montana and a preseason FCS top 5 in McNeese (although Im sure some here will say they shouldn't have scheduled the game during hurricane season). They go on the road and beat SDSU. They win the games the are supposed to and do it convincingly. Their only loss is to a very good Montana team in the last second. Even the best teams can lose a close game to a top tier team (right ASU / Villanova?). It is just extremely difficult/impossible for a good team from the GWFC to get all the games they would like to get scheduled. Not many teams are willing to travel or play Poly OOC.

If they beat Davis this week, as they should, Poly will belong in the top tier of the playoffs and we are fortunate we all get to see how it plays out.

I agree. I don't understand people that are saying an 8-2 Cal Poly team is on the bubble...

WrenFGun
November 11th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Cal Poly has a quality win on the road over SDSU and a quality win over San Diego State. The loss to Montana is unfortunate, but I think they proved to be on the same level as Montana during that game, at the very least. When you consider the resumes of other teams, I don't think Cal Poly's is any worse, particularly with the loss of the McNeese State game, which you cannot hold them accountable for.

When I look at resume's, how does Cal Poly's compare to Elon's (GSU and Furman)? UNH (Army)? Wofford (Elon?) Weber State (Montana)? There just aren't many teams with quality wins, and Cal Poly's are as good as most (slighting Appalachian State, James Madison, Villanova).

gbhmt
November 11th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Cal Poly has a quality win on the road over SDSU and a quality win over San Diego State. The loss to Montana is unfortunate, but I think they proved to be on the same level as Montana during that game, at the very least. When you consider the resumes of other teams, I don't think Cal Poly's is any worse, particularly with the loss of the McNeese State game, which you cannot hold them accountable for.

When I look at resume's, how does Cal Poly's compare to Elon's (GSU and Furman)? UNH (Army)? Wofford (Elon?) Weber State (Montana)? There just aren't many teams with quality wins, and Cal Poly's are as good as most (slighting Appalachian State, James Madison, Villanova).

Those are both better quality wins than Cal Poly's. San Diego State is as much of a quality win as back when the Griz used to play Idaho every year after they went I-A (for those who remember, it was generally one of our body bag games).

I agree. I don't understand people that are saying an 8-2 Cal Poly team is on the bubble...

I don't think anyone asserts that they shouldn't be in the playoffs. It's whether or not they should get a seed.

McNeese75
November 11th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Your kidding right?

Well considering your view of the SLC and McNeese and the fact that Lehigh is 3-6, Ummmm not really. xcoolx

gbhmt
November 11th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Well considering your view of the SLC and McNeese and the fact that Lehigh is 3-6, Ummmm not really. xcoolx

Just because his team had a lackluster year doesn't mean he knows any less. This kind of logic doesn't bode well for you personal arguments either.

LehighFan11
November 11th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Just because his team had a lackluster year doesn't mean he knows any less. This kind of logic doesn't bode well for you personal arguments either.
Yea, the success or failure of my team is irrelevant.

Poly Pigskin
November 11th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Those are both better quality wins than Cal Poly's. San Diego State is as much of a quality win as back when the Griz used to play Idaho every year after they went I-A (for those who remember, it was generally one of our body bag games).

I've asked this several times over the past few weeks, and I have yet to get a any response. If beating a crappy FBS team is so easy, how come it only happened twice this season? If you're at a 20 scholarship disadvantage on the road, it's a quality win. And we're talking about SoCal here, these are good athletes that SDSU has. Not really the same as Idaho in the 90s IMO.

McNeese75
November 12th, 2008, 01:48 PM

Ask me if I care!

wideright82
November 12th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Ask me if I care!

Do you care?

Native
November 12th, 2008, 02:46 PM

With that said:

Week 11
Approved
1. James Madison
2. Appalachian St.
3. Richmond
4. Cal Poly
5. Montana
6. Northern Iowa
7. Wofford
8. Southern Illinois
9. Elon
10. Villanova
11. North Dakota St.
12. New Hampshire
13. Massachusetts
14. Harvard
15. Furman
16. Central Arkansas
17. Jacksonville St.
18. Tennessee-Martin
19. McNeese St.
20. Western Illinois
21. South Carolina St.
22. Liberty
23. Maine
24. Tennessee St.
25. Lafayette
W. Maine
L. Massachusetts

Where do Weber State (GPI #8), William & Mary (#12), South Dakota State (#21) and Colgate (#23) rate in your FCS cosmology, flamesfan? xlolx xlolx xlolx

Tailbone
November 12th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Where does Weber State rate in your FCS cosmology, flamesfan? xlolx xlolx xlolx

North of Elon, South of Montana?

Native
November 12th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Lots of guys banging on Cal Poly for their schedule. Yes they have played some easy games the last few weeks. However, you cannot say Poly doesn't try to schedule the best games they can get. They schedule two FBS teams (one a preseason top 15 from the Big 10). They schedule Montana and a preseason FCS top 5 in McNeese (although Im sure some here will say they shouldn't have scheduled the game during hurricane season). They go on the road and beat SDSU. ...

Nope. Not me. I say kudos to Cal Poly for aggressive and intelligent scheduling - AND for beating FBS San Diego State! xbowx xthumbsupx

That does not mean that the Cal Poly schedule and every other team's schedule should not be considered in the rankings. xcoffeex

McNeese75
November 12th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Do you care?

:D Not really, just messing with LH