PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Down the CAA and the playoffs

WrenFGun
November 10th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I think most people are on the record as saying that the CAA will get four playoff teams, and I'm in agreement with them. I think five is unlikely given the breakdown of conferences, though it's possible that Elon or Cal Poly could play themselves out of playoff contention. I think it's possible the CAA could get 3 if the committee were to frown on a UNH team that closed the season at 1-2 and not want to take a 4-loss team (Perhaps LaFayette or Holy Cross could be considered as at-large candidates, or maybe Liberty comes back into the discussion, though I think it's unlikely). Still, I think an 8-3 UNH has better position than a 9-2 Liberty (if they upset Elon) or a two-loss LaFayette team.

Anyhow, here's my breakdown.

James Madison-IN. They would clinch the auto-berth with a win over W&M, I believe, but would be in even if they lost their final two games to Towson and William & Mary.

Villanova-IN with a win over Towson or Delaware. Looking at a potential seed with a win over both.

William & Mary-IN with a win over either James Madison or Richmond. They would then have wins over UNH and one of those two teams, which would enough to warrant inclusion. OUT if they lose to both, though I think you have to consider them favorites with Richmond at home. I think the James Madison game will be close, too.

Richmond-IN by beating William & Mary and Delaware. Assuming a William & Mary loss to James Madison (a big leap, the way they're playing, though JMU is obviously the favorite), the game between William & Mary and Richmond will be an elimination game. If William & Mary beats James Madison and then loses to Richmond, all hell will break lose and I'll have no idea what would happen.

Imagine that scenario, with UNH winning out. That would leave the following records: Villanova (9-2), James Madison (9-2), Richmond (9-3), William & Mary (8-3), UNH (9-2, loss to W&M)...what would happen with that hypothetical?

UNH-IN by beating UMass and Maine, LIKELY IN losing to UMass but beating Maine. The CAA North has the potential to go completely bidless if UNH falls to UMass and beats Maine, and William & Mary beats JMU but loses to Richmond. That would put the best four teams in the South, and like I said, the CAA will need a lot of help to get five teams in (like the committee deciding that the fifth option has a better resume than Elon). I think UNH is LIKELY OUT with a win over UMass and a loss to Maine, as Maine would be in over them.

MAINE-IN by beating URI and UNH. 8-3, Red Hot. Out otherwise.

UMass-Need a lot of help, might get a sniff if they win out, UNH beats Maine and Richmond knocks W&M out.

To recap:

IN:
James Madison
Villanova

DRIVER'S SEAT (meaning games at home with deciding factor):
Maine
William and Mary

LIKELY NEED A ROAD WIN TO GET IN:
UNH
Richmond

NEED a LOT OF HELP:
Massachusetts

Curious about others input..Hope this helps people making prognostications.

mainejeff
November 10th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I think that you nailed it. xthumbsupx

smcwildcat
November 10th, 2008, 01:27 PM
agreed,.....

Eight Legger
November 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I think most people are on the record as saying that the CAA will get four playoff teams, and I'm in agreement with them. I think five is unlikely given the breakdown of conferences, though it's possible that Elon or Cal Poly could play themselves out of playoff contention. I think it's possible the CAA could get 3 if the committee were to frown on a UNH team that closed the season at 1-2 and not want to take a 4-loss team (Perhaps LaFayette or Holy Cross could be considered as at-large candidates, or maybe Liberty comes back into the discussion, though I think it's unlikely). Still, I think an 8-3 UNH has better position than a 9-2 Liberty (if they upset Elon) or a two-loss LaFayette team.

Anyhow, here's my breakdown.

James Madison-IN. They would clinch the auto-berth with a win over W&M, I believe, but would be in even if they lost their final two games to Towson and William & Mary.

Villanova-IN with a win over Towson or Delaware. Looking at a potential seed with a win over both.

William & Mary-IN with a win over either James Madison or Richmond. They would then have wins over UNH and one of those two teams, which would enough to warrant inclusion. OUT if they lose to both, though I think you have to consider them favorites with Richmond at home. I think the James Madison game will be close, too.

Richmond-IN by beating William & Mary and Delaware. Assuming a William & Mary loss to James Madison (a big leap, the way they're playing, though JMU is obviously the favorite), the game between William & Mary and Richmond will be an elimination game. If William & Mary beats James Madison and then loses to Richmond, all hell will break lose and I'll have no idea what would happen.

Imagine that scenario, with UNH winning out. That would leave the following records: Villanova (9-2), James Madison (9-2), Richmond (9-3), William & Mary (8-3), UNH (9-2, loss to W&M)...what would happen with that hypothetical?

UNH-IN by beating UMass and Maine, LIKELY IN losing to UMass but beating Maine. The CAA North has the potential to go completely bidless if UNH falls to UMass and beats Maine, and William & Mary beats JMU but loses to Richmond. That would put the best four teams in the South, and like I said, the CAA will need a lot of help to get five teams in (like the committee deciding that the fifth option has a better resume than Elon). I think UNH is LIKELY OUT with a win over UMass and a loss to Maine, as Maine would be in over them.

MAINE-IN by beating URI and UNH. 8-3, Red Hot. Out otherwise.

UMass-Need a lot of help, might get a sniff if they win out, UNH beats Maine and Richmond knocks W&M out.

In this scenario, the MEAC autobid is revoked and 5 CAA teams make it ...

UNHWildCats
November 10th, 2008, 01:31 PM
In this scenario, the MEAC autobid is revoked and 5 CAA teams make it ...
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

dennisdent
November 10th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Excellent job!xbowx xthumbsupx I think you give UMass more of a chance than they deserve with only "good wins" over Albany and HC--but you never know in the CAA... xtwocentsx

WrenFGun
November 10th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Excellent job!xbowx xthumbsupx I think you give UMass more of a chance than they deserve with only "good wins" over Albany and HC--but you never know in the CAA... xtwocentsx

It's a long shot. UMass would have a win over UNH, and Maine probably wouldn't be in the discussion, if UMass got to 8-4. They'd have 1 more loss and wouldn't have an FBS win, but they would have the head to head. Don't know who'd get that bid, assuming it was the 4th from the CAA.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 10th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Thermonuclear Scenario:

Delaware Upsets Richmond
William & Mary loses to both JMU and Richmond
UMass beats UNH and Hofstra
Maine loses to URI and beats UNH
Villanova loses to Delaware and Towson

Which would leave:

JMU at 10-1
UMass at 8-4
Richmond at 8-4

William & Mary at 7-4
'Nova at 7-4
Maine at 7-4
UNH at 7-4

In this scenario, UMass and Richmond are the two at-large bids. xeyebrowx

I'm not saying this is going to happen. But if Delaware somehow beats Richmond this weekend - not out of the realm of possibility - that helps UMass immensely. It's also not outlandish to see UNH losing out, either. And if URI somehow were to beat Maine... there IS a path here.

Unless some variant of the thermonuclear scenario plays itself out, it looks like the CAA will get three at-larges, though.

dennisdent
November 10th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I wonder how much the score of the games will matter? xhomerx Don't hate me, but for discussion: UMass blows out UNH (unlikely) and Hofstra. UNH then blows out Maine (unlikely). This is the only scenario I see UMass getting a playoff berth when it comes to the CAA North.xpeacex

WrenFGun
November 10th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Well, remember, the CAA North doesn't need to get a bid. If the best four teams are in the South, than they'll get the bids. A Three Loss UNH likely gets a bid over a four loss Richmond team, but I'm not so certain. The CAA north are big Richmond fans, I'll tell you. Put W&M out of the running and give the North a bid, Spiders!

dennisdent
November 10th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Thermonuclear Scenario:

Delaware Upsets Richmond
William & Mary loses to both JMU and Richmond
UMass beats UNH and Hofstra
Maine loses to URI and beats UNH
Villanova loses to Delaware and Towson

Which would leave:

JMU at 10-1
UMass at 8-4
Richmond at 8-4

William & Mary at 7-4
'Nova at 7-4
Maine at 7-4
UNH at 7-4

In this scenario, UMass and Richmond are the two at-large bids. xeyebrowx

I'm not saying this is going to happen. But if Delaware somehow beats Richmond this weekend - not out of the realm of possibility - that helps UMass immensely. It's also not outlandish to see UNH losing out, either. And if URI somehow were to beat Maine... there IS a path here.

Unless some variant of the thermonuclear scenario plays itself out, it looks like the CAA will get three at-larges, though.

I like this xthumbsupx LFNxsmoochx xnutsx

matfu
November 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM
so...do i understand it correctly....there is not a bid for the top team in the caa north and south? could someone tell me what the deal is? thanks.

UNHWildCats
November 10th, 2008, 06:35 PM
so...do i understand it correctly....there is not a bid for the top team in the caa north and south? could someone tell me what the deal is? thanks.
only the conf champion is guaranteed a spot. If you win the north at say 6-2 but are 6-5 overall... oops xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx