PDA

View Full Version : Albany in The GridIron Classic

Ruler
November 10th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Albany has won or shared 4 NEC Titles in the last 7 years. I believe they need to beat Wagner on Saturday to win the crown outright again in 08. That will make 14 straight conference wimns in two years should they prevail on Saturday.

I say this not to brag but to state that I believe it is time for UA to move on from the NEC. Maybe they missed the boat by not going to the Big South. Maybe the NEC ramps up to 50 scholarships by 2012. Maybe the CAA brings UA in when the "big split" comes in 2010..... Or maybe we should just go Indy(I know scheduling headaches) This is actually FCS hell or limbo.

Any thoughts?????

ccd494
November 10th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Isn't the NEC getting an autobid?

TexasTerror
November 10th, 2008, 08:17 AM
NEC needs to go to the amount of scholarships (50ish, right?) allowed to play FBS opposition for bowl eligibility. Would have to think that Army and the MAC schools would go that route in a heartbeat.

With NEC getting an AQ, no reason to leave, but the NEC will need to increase schollys.

Tim James
November 10th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I say this not to brag but to state that I believe it is time for UA to move on from the NEC. Maybe they missed the boat by not going to the Big South.

No they didnt. Albany, NY is not "south." Just wait for the CAA split to occur. So many people want to see the CAA New England schools plus Albany, Stony Brook, and Central CT St. all in the same conference together.

DetroitFlyer
November 10th, 2008, 08:39 AM
NEC needs to go to the amount of scholarships (50ish, right?) allowed to play FBS opposition for bowl eligibility. Would have to think that Army and the MAC schools would go that route in a heartbeat.

With NEC getting an AQ, no reason to leave, but the NEC will need to increase schollys.

Why? The Patriot League is not there today, not a SINGLE team and they seem to be doing OK.... The NEC gets an autobid in 2010. Albany fans just need to be a bit patient. If Albany did not schedule so crazy, they could have had a bid this season. Frankly, Albany is more deserving IMHO that the champions of the MEAC, PL or OVC, AGAIN....

The NEC would do well to stay at 40 scholarships for a while as they enjoy their autobid. Only time will tell if they will compete for a National Championship at the 40 scholly level. Heck, TODAY, Albany can compete for a National Championship as well as conference champions of the conferences I already mentioned....

MplsBison
November 10th, 2008, 08:48 AM
IMO, the NEC is a one-and-done every year until they get more scholarships.

Dane96
November 10th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Agreed!

DetroitFlyer
November 10th, 2008, 08:56 AM
IMO, the NEC is a one-and-done every year until they get more scholarships.

OVC, MEAC...? Yep, all those athletic scholarships sure have helped them in the FCS playoffs as of late....

Franks Tanks
November 10th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Why? The Patriot League is not there today, not a SINGLE team and they seem to be doing OK.... The NEC gets an autobid in 2010. Albany fans just need to be a bit patient. If Albany did not schedule so crazy, they could have had a bid this season. Frankly, Albany is more deserving IMHO that the champions of the MEAC, PL or OVC, AGAIN....

The NEC would do well to stay at 40 scholarships for a while as they enjoy their autobid. Only time will tell if they will compete for a National Championship at the 40 scholly level. Heck, TODAY, Albany can compete for a National Championship as well as conference champions of the conferences I already mentioned....

The PL has several school offer 50 or more scholarship equiliviancies. Also why is Albany more deserving? Yes they have a solid team that would fare well in the PL, but they were 1-3 OOC.

danefan
November 10th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Its more the scholarship issue then it is the NEC per se. Albany would be fine in the NEC if the NEC was willing to allow 57 scholarships (counter status).

But the fact of the matter is, there are many small private schools in the NEC that just cannot afford to pony up the money for those scholarships. And they certainly aren't going to allow the state schools to do it if they cannot do it themselves.

No way Wagner, St. Francis and Sacred Heart are going to vote to increase the scholarship level any higher.

The other reason Albany needs to get out of the NEC is to build a program. To do that I think Albany needs to align itself with like-minded institutions. In the Northeast this really means UMass, UNH, URI, Maine, etc.... The big state schools of the NE. The NEC will never provide that for Albany.

The Autobid in 2010 is great for the NEC, but that alone will not keep Albany in the conference.

But I highly doubt an independent move is much better, unless it is for a short period of time with a guaranteed conference spot on the horizon (which isn't the case now).

Long story short - Albany resides in FCS purgatory - perhaps the Administration put themselves there. Something to think about.

Ruler
November 10th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Kind words indeed DF. I agree with you on your points. I have a feeling we will be seeing you on Dec 6 on our sure to be frozen and snow covered tundra. I feel it will be a great game. Should Jacksonville be there I really like our chances. I am sure Dayton will be up to the challenege.

Even if "Non Scholarship" Dayton comes to Albany and whups us I still feel maybe Albany should leave the NEC. With 40 rides and an autobid we will be like the PL and once in a blue moon will be able to compete for the NC. To compete for a NC with 40 scholarships will not cut it, the "old gaurd" is correct IMHO. I can't see a 40 scholarship team hanging with Appy, Montana, or one of the big boys in the Southern CAA on a consistent basis.

If Albany scheduled an easier schedule and went 9-2 or 10-1 the SOS would have kept them from getting in. See San Diego 2007.

aceinthehole
November 10th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Albany has won or shared 4 NEC Titles in the last 7 years. I believe they need to beat Wagner on Saturday to win the crown outright again in 08. That will make 14 straight conference wimns in two years should they prevail on Saturday.

I say this not to brag but to state that I believe it is time for UA to move on from the NEC. Maybe they missed the boat by not going to the Big South. Maybe the NEC ramps up to 50 scholarships by 2012. Maybe the CAA brings UA in when the "big split" comes in 2010..... Or maybe we should just go Indy(I know scheduling headaches) This is actually FCS hell or limbo.

Any thoughts?????

Albany has certainly been the "class" of the NEC, but I disagree its time to move on. If UA has the chance to join its AE peers in a football conference - that's a no-brainer. But the Big South - why???

Albany has proved it can compete at the highest levels right now. They can schedule ANYONE, so I just don't see the advantage.

Also, I hate to rub it in but that "stadium" in Albany is the worst in the NEC. You should fix that now!!!

Bottom line, now that the NEC gets an AQ in 2010 (the same year as the Big South) I see no advantage to a move to the BS except to offer 40+ schollys. A move to Indy would also allow full schollys, but scheduling is near impossible and its will be much tougher to get into the playoffs as an Indy at-large.

I think CCSU and Monmouth are neck-and-neck with UA overall and the 3 schools have some great rivalries. It would be a shame for ALbany to trade that in for games vs. Liberty and G-W.

IMO, UA needs to invest in its FACILITIES now, continue to schedule tough OOC, and just wait for the CAA split. The other options now just aren't worth it.

Dane96
November 10th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Agree with Ace, Danefan...and to an extent...Flyer and Ruler. All valid points made, but Ace and Danefan are on the money.

Ruler
November 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM
ACE I also agree with your points. The move from the NEC has nothing to do with superiority etc. UA, CCSU, and Monmouth are joined at the hip no question. Very little seperates the three programs in terms of athletes. Year in and year out one of these teams wins the NEC. Not to shortchange Sacred Heart as they have had a great season. I am sure Duquesne will be there in a season or two as well as Bryant.

Danefan hit the nail on the head with his post. His post was the post I was trying to make. He is a lawyer and our former QB so he is better equiped to state his point more efficiently then some clod that works on Wall Street. His spelling and grammer is also top notch...LOL

Dane96
November 10th, 2008, 09:40 AM
And you Wall Streeters wonder why you need the vile existence of lawyers- It is to clarify your points...and utilize the vast database of big words to confuse others.

;)

Are you going up for the double-double (Football and Siena)?

Ruler
November 10th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Dane 96, I am going to be in attendance for sure. I only post on this site because I can't seem to get BPF to email me back a code/password. I always put in the the request but the board never emails me a new password.

I am sure to do the Across The Street Pub as well.

danefan
November 10th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Dane 96, I am going to be in attendance for sure. I only post on this site because I can't seem to get BPF to email me back a code/password. I always put in the the request but the board never emails me a new password.

I just PM'ed Dane Pound to take care of your password issue. Hopefully he can work it out.

And I know I owe you an email Ruler, I'm working on it. xthumbsupx

Dane96
November 10th, 2008, 10:29 AM

I will talk to DanePound for you regarding BPF. Have you met him yet? If not, I can intro you at the game.

EDIT: Oops...Danefan was quicker than I was.

Who is running the tailgate I can latch on to that day? Looks like my two alumnus friends are out of town for conferences that weekend...and I am bagging on trip to VEGAS (first time I would have gone) to go to the games......SO I NEED A TAILGATE TO MAKE it worthwhile.

Yes, shameless request.

Ruler
November 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Dane 96 and Danefan I will throw a year end tailgate IN DEC....BBBBRRRRRRRRRR. This will require booze as well as the old standby of Coors Light.

And yes Dayton Flyer you are welcome. Would love to meet the legend in person. Unless you are doing play by play for the Flyers that day. I think I read somewhere you do the play by play. Am I mistaken?

Dane96
November 10th, 2008, 10:46 AM
No...I think he is an agent (for the QB).

Too bad my I dont have all my Coors beer holders-- my sister is the Director of Corporate Governance for Coors.

DetroitFlyer
November 10th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Believe it or not, I cannot make the game.... December 6, 2008 has been overbooked for me big time. I am absolutely sick about it! I have a Christmas Off Campus service project with the UD Alumni association in the morning here in Detroit, (yeah, they are not football fans, but I'm working to convert them), and I did blow if off last year.... Then my son's cross country team has its holiday celebration in the afternoon and lastly my boss and good friend is having his retirement party during the evening. Crazy.... It is just not right when your personal life impacts your ability to travel to football games....xlolx

I am not affilated in any official capacity with UD in any way, just an alum and crazy football fan!

Heck, we still have to get there unlike the Danes. We should beat Morehead State in Dayton on Saturday, (although we should have beaten them last year as well). Still, MSU is down this year, and I think we win. JU.... Frankly, they scare me. This is not the same JU that got killed by App earlier this year. Their young team, and especially their QB have come a long way and they are really playing some good football. We have to play at JU and you can bet they will licking their chops to win their first ever PFL title. Kerwin Bell is proving to be a good college coach as well. If we get to Albany, we will have to earn it just like you did. (Unless we get invited to the playoffs....). How cool would it be if Albany and Dayton could meet in the first round of the FCS playoffs instead of a Gridiron Classic...?

Seawolf97
November 10th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Albany has certainly been the "class" of the NEC, but I disagree its time to move on. If UA has the chance to join its AE peers in a football conference - that's a no-brainer. But the Big South - why???

Albany has proved it can compete at the highest levels right now. They can schedule ANYONE, so I just don't see the advantage.

Also, I hate to rub it in but that "stadium" in Albany is the worst in the NEC. You should fix that now!!!

Bottom line, now that the NEC gets an AQ in 2010 (the same year as the Big South) I see no advantage to a move to the BS except to offer 40+ schollys. A move to Indy would also allow full schollys, but scheduling is near impossible and its will be much tougher to get into the playoffs as an Indy at-large.

I think CCSU and Monmouth are neck-and-neck with UA overall and the 3 schools have some great rivalries. It would be a shame for ALbany to trade that in for games vs. Liberty and G-W.

IMO, UA needs to invest in its FACILITIES now, continue to schedule tough OOC, and just wait for the CAA split. The other options now just aren't worth it.

Ace while I agree with some of your thoughts but a full scholarship team has 2 advantages. More than a reasonable chance against the major FCS teams and of course the BCs money. Playing an FBS/BCs team once a season helps pay the bills and helps a ton with recruiting. Thats something a 40 scholly team can't do. Albany is a cut above the rest of the NEC as of now and I dont know if CCSU or Monmouth are going to catch them. Actually Im glad we are in the Big South it is a pretty competitve conference and getting better. And yes we get South Florida in 2010 and a paycheck.

Seawolf97
November 10th, 2008, 09:25 PM
PS- Im in Albany's corner in the upcomong Classic against Dayton I assume.xthumbsupx

Model Citizen
November 10th, 2008, 09:41 PM
You assume? Well...the best team in the PFL right now is JACKSONVILLE.

Stay tuned.

Seawolf97
November 10th, 2008, 09:55 PM
You assume? Well...the best team in the PFL right now is JACKSONVILLE.

Stay tuned.

That is an interesting turn of eventsxpeacex

Model Citizen
November 10th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah...not that many people on this board ever knew much about the PFL, but some may notice that Dayton and San Diego have lost a ton of starters to injury (and grades? and dreams of becoming Rudy?).

So in a year that Jacksonville would normally be a third or fourth place team, the Dolphins may just slide into the Gridiron Classic as the last men standing.

Rebuttal from Detroit Flyer in 3..2..1..

DetroitFlyer
November 11th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Yeah...not that many people on this board ever knew much about the PFL, but some may notice that Dayton and San Diego have lost a ton of starters to injury (and grades? and dreams of becoming Rudy?).

So in a year that Jacksonville would normally be a third or fourth place team, the Dolphins may just slide into the Gridiron Classic as the last men standing.

Rebuttal from Detroit Flyer in 3..2..1..

I'm not certain that JU can lay claim to being the "best" team in the PFL this season. As I mentioned above, JU is playing much better than they did early in the season, (as is Dayton by the way). Remember, it took a 50 yard, last second FG to defeat USD while the Flyers went out to San Diego and broke USD's 28 game home winning streak. JU did roll Butler, while the Flyers struggled, but I have a feeling that Butler played a much better game against the Flyers than they did against JU. Still, if it comes down to Dayton at JU for the PFL title, it will be a heck of a game with the winner certainly deserving of post season game(s).

As for "Rudy", we did lose one of our best defensive ends as he transferred to Notre Dame. His dad is a ND alum and walked onto the football team and earned a scholarship. It was Bobby's dream to attend ND even if he did not play football. With the problems that ND has had at tight end, Bobby Burger was able to walk on as a tight end in September. His number is 88. I understand that in HS he was a full back, so moving from defensive end to tight end is not a stretch. Like most Dayton kids, he is pretty darn athletic. I will not be surprised one bit to see him make the roster next year.

We also temporarily lost a great receiver, but to be honest, UD is so deep at receiver that no one has noticed.

As for injuries, that is a concern for all teams this time of year. I do not think that UD has suffered any more significant injuries than any other FCS team. One thing that has improved at UD over the years is depth. Rob Florian breaks his thumb at San Diego, in steps Jeff Pechan. In his first ever start at Butler, Jeff leads the Flyers to victory and earns the PFL offensive player of the week award! Steve McDonald goes down with a knee injury in practice, in steps JJ Vercammen. JJ gets the big sack on the Butler QB in overtime sealing the UD victory. Scott Vossler is a bit banged up, but he played every down at Butler and being a 5th year senior, I expect him to keep playing the rest of the season.

JU the best in the PFL at this point.... If we both win on Saturday, we will have a showdown in Jacksonville to settle that one on the field!

Model Citizen
November 11th, 2008, 11:03 AM
As for "Rudy", we did lose one of our best defensive ends as he transferred to Notre Dame. His dad is a ND alum and walked onto the football team and earned a scholarship.

A scholarship? That's better that Rudy! xthumbsupx