PDA

View Full Version : Post Season Scenarios....

Go Apps
November 10th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Here are a few clarifications for who is and who is eligible for the playoff field:
Below, take a look at the prospects of FCS teams that can still entertain realistic playoff hopes. Ranked by their chances of making the 16-team field, as determined by me. Current overall and conference records are in parentheses, and each team’s remaining schedule is listed with a brief synopsis of its chances. The adds of AQ means they received the Autobid or IN means I believe they have already made the field of 16, regardless of how they finish. The rank below is based on being in the tournament.

1. James Madison (8-1, 6-0 CAA)
The Games: W&M (11/15), at Towson (11/22)

Outlook: IN The Dukes are in the playoffs but could still get the autobid if they win out and N. Hampshire loses. Winning out would certainly give the Dukes the #1 seed. One loss could still have them as a Top 4 seed, but no guarantee.

2. Weber State (9-2, 7-0 Big Sky)
The Games: E. Washington (11/22)

Outlook: AQ Weber State took care of business this weekend and got the Autobid for the big sky. A tough game with E. Washington, but winning puts them in consideration for a top 4 seed.

3. South Carolina State (8-2. 6-0 MEAC)
The Games: at Morgan St (11/15), at NC A&T (11/22)

Outlook: AQ I believe that SCSt has captured the Autobid due to some other losses. Now the Bulldogs need to keep winning. The first round opponent still looks to be Wofford or ASU. Either way they still should win one of their last two.

4. Montana (9-1, 5-1 Big Sky)
The Games: Idaho State (11/15), Montana St. (11/22)

Outlook: IN With their only loss to top ranked Weber State, Montana looks to be the 2 team from the big sky. Hard to deny Montana a Top 4 seed, but it seems unlikely that the Big Sky could grab two, it will certainly be discussed. More importantly is the large fan base that will turnout. This makes Montana an easy choice when it comes to money.

5. Appalachian State (8-2, 6-0 Southern)
The Games: Elon (11/15), at Western Carolina (11/22)

Outlook: The Mountaineers are in if they win 1 out of the last 2. A win against Elon this week will secure a tie for the SoCon Title and Autobid, win out and they get a #2 seed. They grab the top seed if JMU falters. Based on their play this year, ASU will need homefield advantage if they hope to reach Chattanooga again.

6. Northern Iowa (8-2, 6-1 MVC)
The Games: at Indiana St (11/15), at S. Utah (11/22)

Outlook: A 10-2 regular season record looks to be a lock with and a potential top 4 seed but a down year in the MVC could lead to no seed at all. Either way must win win 1 of its last two to secure a playoff berth.

7. . Villanova (7-2, 5-1 CAA)
The Games: Towson (11/15), at Delaware (11/22)

Outlook: Wow the CAA has so many possibilities but Villanova looks to be a lock. If they win this week, they can secure a bid. Losing one still puts them in the field.

8. Richmond (7-3, 7-1 CAA)
The Games: Delaware (11/15), at W&M (11/22)

Outlook: The Spiders should be in good shape but must win out, based on the opponents I think they are looking good. If Richmond loses either of the last two – they will miss the playoffs . Should Richmond win out they could be in discussion to host a first round game.

9. Elon (8-2, 6-1 Southern)
The Games: at ASU (11/15), at Liberty (11/22)

Outlook: Elon slides in ahead of some other SoCon Teams. The reason is the remaining schedule, I believe the Phoenix can beat both Liberty, so a lost to ASU will not hurt, a win could give them the force a 3 way tie in the SoCon, they could win the Autobid. However a first round trip to JMU looks likely, ouch!

10. Wofford (7-2, 5-1 Southern)
The Games: at Samford (11/15), Furman (11/22)

Outlook: Wofford continues to navigate their tough year end schedule. They must win one of the last two to secure a playoff berth, however they may be eaiser said than done, Samford has been the surprise of the SoCon this year and will put the Terriers to the test, then Furman. Wofford can still can win the SoCon Autobid, and they will be pulling hard for Elon this weekend as that will force a potential tie in the SoCon.

11. Colgate (8-2, 4-0 Patriot)
The Games: Holy Cross (11/22)

Outlook: The showdown with Holy Cross will determine the outcome of the Patriot, win and you are in with the Autobid. Otherwise a loss will most likely keep them out of the playoffs.

12. Northwestern State (6-4, 3-2 Southland)
The Games: McNeese St (11/15), at SFA (11/22)

Outlook: Thanks to Central Ark for being playoff ineligible – this conference race is a bit of a mess – even with losing this weekend NWSTN St has the inside track – the McNeese St game should provide the winner.

13. Southern Illinois (7-2, 5-1 MVC)
The Games: SDSt (11/15), at Illinois St (11/22)

Outlook: The MVC is not having a great year, but S. Ill still can make the playoffs by winning out, a loss could leave them wondering about their playoff future. A tough game coming up this week.

14. New Hampshire (7-2, 4-2 CAA)
The Games: UMASS (11/15), at Maine (11/22)

Outlook: N Hampshire have put themselves in a bind, they may need to win both of their final games to get a berth. They will find an upset minded UMASS and an upstart Maine team – this schedule is a tall task. If NH loses two more times they are out, lose once and it will put them in a tough spot.

15. Tennessee State (8-2, 5-1 OVC)
The Games: at Jacksonville St (11/15), at Murray St (11/22)

Outlook: The OVC will be a one bid this conference. Right now Tenn State has the inside track, but a tough game this weekend could bring others back in the race. Win out and you clinch the title..

16. Cal Poly (7-1, 2-0 Great West)
The Games: UC Davis (11/15), at Wisconsin (11/22)

Outlook: Last week I did not like Cal Poly’s chances and much grief came my way. Let me say that I believe they belong in the field, but things don’t always go as planned. Agreed with their ranking it would seem impossible to leave them out. They will lose to Wisconsin, but UC Davis could provide a test. For the moment I see them in the playoffs based on other movement around the country, of course they need to win this week.

17. Layfayette (7-2, 3-1 Patriot)
The Games: Holy Cross (11/15), Lehigh (11/22)

Outlook: I still like the looks of this conference and I feel that if Layfayette can win out – it steals a bid from the CAA, MVC or SoCon. A surprise entry in 2005 it could work out again in their favor. For this to happen some other schools need to lose.

18. Maine (7-3, 4-2 CAA)
The Games: at R. Island (11/15), N. Hampshire (11/22)

Outlook: A huge victory this weekend and the schedule looks to be good for another week. The game at NH may determine the final entry from the CAA. Maine controls their fate.

19. Holy Cross (6-3, 4-0 Patriot)
The Games: Layfayette (11/15), at Colgate (11/22)

Outlook: The toughest remaining schedule in the Patriot puts their chances at the bottom, however winning out – puts them in the playoffs and they snag the Autobid. If they win out they will help the rest of the at large teams as it will leave Colgate and Layfayette out of any post season discussion.

20. McNeese State (6-3, 3-2 Southland)
The Games: at N’western St (11/15), at Central Ark (11/22)

Outlook: Still alive for the title, but winning out is a must and this schedule is about to turn ugly! Showdown this week with NWSt should help clarify this race.

21. Furman (7-3, 5-2 Southern)
The Games: Ga Southern (11/15), at Wofford (11/22)

Outlook: Two monster games remain for Furman – but they can win and if they do they will get into the playoffs. This is perhaps the most dangerous team on the bubble.

25. William & Mary (7-3, 4-2 CAA)
The Games: at JMU (11/15), Richmond (11/22)

Outlook: Just like Maine, they must win out, this schedule just looks too tough.

22. Eastern Kentucky (6-3, 5-1 OVC)
The Games: Murray St (11/15), at Tenn-Martin (11/22)

Outlook: First EKU needs to win out and second they need some help from others but they are still alive for the Autobid

23. Tennessee Martin (7-3, 5-1 OVC)
The Games: at SE MO St (11/15), EKU (11/22)

Outlook: They are still alive for the AB – but things don’t look so good. The OVC will only get one team into the field, TM’s chances are fading! Great job this weekend at Auburn – but they need to win and some help!

24. Liberty (8-2, 3-0 Big South)
The Games: Gardner Webb (11/15), Elon (11/22)

Outlook: A win in the final 2 could keep them in discussions – but they need lots of help!

25. Praire View (8-1, 6-1 SWAC)
The Games: Alcorn St (11/15)

Outlook: Everyone around the country needs to lose multiple times

26. Bethune Cookman (7-2, 4-2 MEAC)
The Games: Howard (11/15), Florida A&M (11/22)

Outlook: Still with an outside chance – but must win each of their remaining games.

27. South Dakota State (6-4, 5-1 MVC)
The Games: at S. Ill (11/15), at NDSt (11/22)

Outlook: The Jackrabbits will stay in the discussion for one more week as they still could win the AB. However their remaining schedule is very difficult.

Below are my current projections for the I-AA playoff field and possible match-ups, based on expectations for the remaining games this season.

Automatic Bids: Patriot: Colgate, A10: JMU, Big Sky: Weber State, Southland: N’wstern State, Southern: ASU, Gateway: Northern Iowa, MEAC: SCSt, OVC: Tenn State

At-large: Elon, Cal Poly, Wofford, S. Illinois, Montana, Maine, Richmond, and Villanova.

Seeds: Northern Iowa, JMU, Weber State, Appalachain State.

Last In: Cal Poly and Maine
Last Out: Layfayette, N Hampshire and W&M

Bracket I: Elon at No. 1 JMU; Colgate at Villanova;
Cal Poly at No. 4 Weber State; N’wstn at Montana

Bracket II: Tenn State at No. 2 ASU; SCSt at Wofford ;
Maine at No. 3 N. Iowa; Richmond at S. Illinois.

appfan2008
November 10th, 2008, 07:18 AM
not too bad but i really dont want to face wofford in the second round!

appstate38
November 10th, 2008, 07:41 AM

The feeling would be mutual for the T-dogs.

TexasTerror
November 10th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Things are not over in the SLC, but yes -- NWST has the best chance with one win and either a McN or TXST loss. However, things could go down to the final weekend. May get a bit crazy.

CAAisBOSS
November 10th, 2008, 09:02 AM
[QUOTE=Go Apps;1200217]Here are a few clarifications for who is and who is eligible for the playoff field:

25. William & Mary (7-3, 4-2 CAA)
The Games: at JMU (11/15), Richmond (11/22)

Outlook: Just like Maine, they must win out, this schedule just looks too tough.

Didn't we go over this last week? WM is 7-2, 5-1

unigriff
November 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Bracket I: Elon at No. 1 JMU; Colgate at Villanova;
Cal Poly at No. 4 Weber State; N’wstn at Montana

Bracket II: Tenn State at No. 2 ASU; SCSt at Wofford ;
Maine at No. 3 N. Iowa; Richmond at S. Illinois.

wow a 3 seed for the Cats...and a nice first round game, and potential second round rematch with SIU...for once, and only once, I can honestly say I like an App fan:)

Dukie95
November 10th, 2008, 09:14 AM
JMU doesn't need UNH to lose again. JMU can secure the auto-bid by beating W&M this weekend.

JayJ79
November 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM
JMU doesn't need UNH to lose again. JMU can secure the auto-bid by beating W&M this weekend.

That's what I was thinking, since I thought JMU was undefeated in conference. But then, I don't claim to understand how it works in the crazy CAA with your non-round-robin schedule and your divisions.

CAAisBOSS
November 10th, 2008, 09:33 AM
That's what I was thinking, since I thought JMU was undefeated in conference. But then, I don't claim to understand how it works in the crazy CAA with your non-round-robin schedule and your divisions.

If JMU loses to WM and WM also beats Richmond, There is a 3-way tie for the conference championship between Villanova, JMU and WM, all with one loss in conference

Dukie95
November 10th, 2008, 09:36 AM

Yeah, last week there was a big "should UNH lose" conditional, and they lost.

No team in the north has fewer than 2 losses now, so the best any north team can do is tie JMU.

So, if JMU wins this weekend, it'll no longer be possible for a north team to tie JMU (which eliminates those confusing cross-divisional tie-breaker rules)

Dukie95
November 10th, 2008, 09:38 AM
If JMU loses to WM and WM also beats Richmond, There is a 3-way tie for the conference championship between Villanova, JMU and WM, all with one loss in conference

Yes, assuming JMU and Nova win their other games.

beauvighn
November 10th, 2008, 09:43 AM
The feeling would be mutual for the T-dogs.

I can assure you that Wofford, while not in a hurry to return to the rock, would love a chance to redeem themselves. Just not in the second round. Anyways, I thought App. wanted to play 4 straight CAA schools in the playoffs.

Go Apps
November 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I don't want to see Wofford or Furman!

Hoyadestroya85
November 10th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Yes, assuming JMU and Nova win their other games.

that's crazy.. would they have to flip a coin again?

Rob Iola
November 10th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Sorry - a bit late to this discussion, here and on other threads - didn't SIU beat UNI? With 2 losses each, why more luv for UNI?

BestOfBreed
November 10th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I can assure you that Wofford, while not in a hurry to return to the rock, would love a chance to redeem themselves. Just not in the second round. Anyways, I thought App. wanted to play 4 straight CAA schools in the playoffs.

I for one would love to see The Rock in the 2nd round. It would mean the Terriers made the playoffs and won in the 1st round xthumbsupx

achrist70
November 10th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Sorry - a bit late to this discussion, here and on other threads - didn't SIU beat UNI? With 2 losses each, why more luv for UNI?

I think that UNI is getting more love do to the fact that they are ranked far higher, also I think many see the loss at Carbondale as sort of a fluke. They lost by 3 committing 5 turnovers including one at about the 2 yard line going in for a score.

Dukie95
November 10th, 2008, 11:12 AM
that's crazy.. would they have to flip a coin again?

Yep, one of those rare three-sided Eisenhower half-dollars.

Hoyadestroya85
November 10th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Yep, one of those rare three-sided Eisenhower half-dollars.

well you flip three coins.. like in friday night lights.. the odd coin gets the bid

Go Apps
November 10th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Sorry on the W&M piece will fix for next week - just win!

appfan2008
November 10th, 2008, 12:34 PM

I just want to be able to face four opponents really!!!

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I'd like for App just to volunteer to play a road playoff game. Just to see if they can do it. :)

As it stands, the only team in the country they would have to play on the road they probably won't meet until Chattanooga.

terrierbob
November 10th, 2008, 01:58 PM

You're being nice. :D Unless AE gets the flu and our secondary grows more fast twitch, it'd still be ugly, methinks.

Houndawg
November 10th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I think that UNI is getting more love do to the fact that they are ranked far higher, also I think many see the loss at Carbondale as sort of a fluke. They lost by 3 committing 5 turnovers including one at about the 2 yard line going in for a score.

xrolleyesx Fluke my azz. We beat you playing only our base defense and using a skinny playbook in the third game with a completely different system, coaches that had been here for eight months, and a new QB .xnodx At least two of your four fumbles, including the one on the 2 yard line, were knocked loose by big hits. The people ranking you so much higher than us have no clue about what SIU has overcome to be in control of the MVC race.

Rekdiver
November 10th, 2008, 04:18 PM
If we want to be the best, we have to beat the best! JMU, UNI, Wofford Cal Poly, et al bring em on. It is what it it!!!

GrizFamily
November 10th, 2008, 04:47 PM
If we want to be the best, we have to beat the best! JMU, UNI, Wofford Cal Poly, et al bring em on. It is what it it!!!

Thank goodness for the FCS where we get to decide this on the field, instead of.....well.....how would you descibe the FBS mess?

Call it what you will, I like it much better this way.

Go Apps
November 11th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Agreed

achrist70
November 11th, 2008, 01:03 PM
xrolleyesx Fluke my azz. We beat you playing only our base defense and using a skinny playbook in the third game with a completely different system, coaches that had been here for eight months, and a new QB .xnodx At least two of your four fumbles, including the one on the 2 yard line, were knocked loose by big hits. The people ranking you so much higher than us have no clue about what SIU has overcome to be in control of the MVC race.

Ok I'll give you the new system. However, I don't think Pat Grace started last year. The fumble on the two yard line was caused by the mis-communication between Grace and Lewis he never really had the ball. Also if you watch the film tell me where there was a block in the back on Herring's kick return for a touchdown, there isn't one.

RabidRabbit
November 11th, 2008, 05:11 PM

Main issues are the difficulty of the games left.

UNI has In St. then SUU, with In St being the last conference game.

SIU has SDSU, then IL St (away). SDSU will be a tough win for SIU, but at home in Carbondale, should be a great game. SIU's conference loss was to middle of the pack NDSU (at Fargo).

Therefore, UNI will be one of the Co-champs, or a sole champ of the MVFC.

SIU could still miss out on play-offs if lose to SDSU or IL St.

TCisMYhero
November 11th, 2008, 06:04 PM
SIU could still miss out on play-offs if lose to SDSU or IL St.

Which would be hi-lar-ious!xrulesx

james_lawfirm
November 11th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I'd like for App just to volunteer to play a road playoff game. Just to see if they can do it. :)

As it stands, the only team in the country they would have to play on the road they probably won't meet until Chattanooga.

Nah. We did that last year. Didn't work out.

CamelCityAppFan
November 11th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Playing in Chattanooga isn't exactly "playing on the road" for the Mountaineers. They've won more games there the last three years than the Mocs have...

Go Apps
November 13th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Good Thought

Houndawg
November 13th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Ok I'll give you the new system. However, I don't think Pat Grace started last year. The fumble on the two yard line was caused by the mis-communication between Grace and Lewis he never really had the ball. Also if you watch the film tell me where there was a block in the back on Herring's kick return for a touchdown, there isn't one.

Dieker had never started either. I'm sure that they're both greatly improved and that if we get to play again it will be a hell of a game. I don't have access to the film, but you could be right, I didn't see a block in the back on your KO return when it happened, it may have been away from the ball. If so karma got even with us the following week at NDSU when we didn't get credit for a clear fumble on the 10 yard line by their TE just before the half. They scored the next play and went on to win. My point is that even though your offense put up better numbers, and would have deserved the win had you got it, there isn't as big a gap between us as the polls say.

beauvighn
November 13th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I would not be surprised to see the Committee send Wofford to Cal Poly for a first round game. They have shown that they do not mind shipping Wofford across the Country and I doubt they would want a Montana rematch. That's my prediction, WC v. Cal Poly.

malibudude
November 13th, 2008, 09:56 AM
That would work. An interesting match-up.

OLDMAIN80
November 13th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I would not be surprised to see the Committee send Wofford to Cal Poly for a first round game. They have shown that they do not mind shipping Wofford across the Country and I doubt they would want a Montana rematch. That's my prediction, WC v. Cal Poly.

Alright, working on my travel itenerary..........Where the heck is Cal Poly and can I get there in less than two days from Lower Alabama?

appstate38
November 13th, 2008, 10:09 AM

We will volunteer to play a road game when you guys do!!! xthumbsupx Nothing for us to prove.... To the winner goes to spoils and all that jazz.

Pauly LB
November 13th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Alright, working on my travel itenerary..........Where the heck is Cal Poly and can I get there in less than two days from Lower Alabama?

You are going to have to allow a full day because you are going to fly into Los Angeles (LAX), then renting a car, and then you will be driving about 3 1/2 hours north. Yes, there are two airports that are closer (Santa Maria and San Luis Obispo) but they are more suited for charters. It is a fairly easy drive after you get out of LA and very scenic. Below are directions -- compliments of Yahoo. Hopefully both teams are in the playoffs...

Print Print this too

Directions to San Luis Obispo, CA Total Time: 3 hours 10 mins, Total Distance: 190.09 milesSummary and Notes
START Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles, CA 90045
FINISH San Luis Obispo, CA
Add your notes here...
Map & DirectionsMap OnlyDirections Only
Show Cumulative Distance
PointManeuverDistanceCumulative 1.Start on W CENTURY BLVD going toward VICKSBURG AVE go 0.27 mi0.27 mi Show Detail Map2.Turn RIGHT on S SEPULVEDA BLVD(CA-1 N) go 1.98 mi2.25 mi 3.Bear RIGHT on HOWARD HUGHES PKY go 0.44 mi2.7 mi 4.Take ramp onto I-405 N go 14.18 mi16.88 mi 5.Take the VENTURA FWY/VENTURA/LOS ANGELES exit onto US-101 N toward VENTURA go 83.12 mi99.99 mi 6.Take exit #101B/STATE ST/CACHUMA LAKE (CA-154) go 0.14 mi100.13 mi 7.Continue on CALLE REAL go 0.36 mi100.49 mi 8.Turn RIGHT on CA-154 go 32.52 mi133.01 mi 9.Bear RIGHT to take ramp onto EL CAMINO REAL(US-101 N) go 56.88 mi189.89 mi 10.Take ramp onto OSOS ST go 317 ft189.96 mi 11.Turn LEFT on WALNUT ST go 0.1 mi190.05 mi 12.Turn RIGHT on SANTA ROSA ST go 158 ft190.09 mi 13.Arrive at the center of SAN LUIS OBISPO, CA 190.09 mi

Time: 3 hours 10 mins, Distance: 190.09 miles

RabidRabbit
November 13th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Likely match-ups are:

Cal Poly @ Weber St
MVFC#2 @ Montana
SoCon #3 @JMU
SLC auto @UNI
SCSU @ App St
Patriot auto@ Villanova
OVC auto@ CAA #3
CAA#4 @ SoCon #2

MVFC #2 = SIU, SDSU, or CAA #5, if MVFC teams don't get 8 D-I wins.
SoCon choices - App St, Elon, Wofford, Furman (outside chance)
CAA, ranked by likely rating JMU, Nova, Richmond, W&M, UNH, Maine, MA top four advance.

SandMountainDemon
November 13th, 2008, 10:40 AM
As much as I want NWST to go to the playoffs, I really do not wish to go to Montana again.....that would make four of our last five playoffs in the state of Montana.

jaxstatealum
November 13th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Playing in Chattanooga isn't exactly "playing on the road" for the Mountaineers. They've won more games there the last three years than the Mocs have...

Sad, but true xlolx xlolx

DSUrocks07
November 13th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Likely match-ups are:

Cal Poly @ Weber St
MVFC#2 @ Montana
SoCon #3 @JMU
SLC auto @UNI
SCSU @ App St
Patriot auto@ Villanova
OVC auto@ CAA #3
CAA#4 @ SoCon #2

MVFC #2 = SIU, SDSU, or CAA #5, if MVFC teams don't get 8 D-I wins.
SoCon choices - App St, Elon, Wofford, Furman (outside chance)
CAA, ranked by likely rating JMU, Nova, Richmond, W&M, UNH, Maine, MA top four advance.

I think that if Wofford is in, then they will be the ones to play SC State due to everyone's favorite word, regionalization. But also in this case, SCSU could make a serious bid for a home game in that instance.

beauvighn
November 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM
That would work. An interesting match-up.

Interesting to say the least. 2 teams that rely on the triple option to move the ball. 2 teams that have not sold their soul to the 5 wide rec. sets. It's football the way God intended it to be played. xnodx

beauvighn
November 13th, 2008, 12:48 PM

Main, Cal Poly is in San Luis Obispo. Hometown of Chuck Liddell ( The Iceman) of MMA fame.

As far as getting there not sure you can get there from anywhere in SC or ALA. xlolx