PDA

View Full Version : Liberty student shot in Harrisonburg near JMU campus

BDKJMU
November 9th, 2008, 02:46 PM
According to a poster on the CAAzone JMU board this this guy was a star tailback at RE Lee Staunton HS, about 25 miles south of Harrisonburg and looked at by JMU but didn't have the grades. Did he play football at all at Liberty? He's not listed on their roster.

http://www.dnronline.com/news_details.php?AID=33138&CHID=2
http://breezejmu.org/2008/11/09/breaking-news-liberty-student-shot-in-hunters-ridge/

JmuSkinsfan
November 9th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah, and I'm extremely comforted by the fact that the shooting took place about 100 yards from my front door. Gotta love that increased gang activity in Harrisonburg xconfusedx

Here's to the young man, and hoping he is able to recover, though I have heard it doesn't look good.

SuperJon
November 9th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Shay's no longer in school at Liberty. He left after last spring. He's currently enrolled in community college.

Edit: I didn't mean this to sound like I didn't care because he wasn't here anymore. It's terrible and I know the players are all really concerned about him. I was just pointing out he wasn't a current student.

ASU88
November 9th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Gotta love that increased gang activity in Harrisonburg

Yeah, it's all up and down the East Coast now.

Greensboro NC's gang activity has exploded in the last 2-3 years. Latin Kings, MS13, Bloods, Crips ... we got 'em all now. Very large areas of town I rarely go to any more.

JmuSkinsfan
November 9th, 2008, 04:49 PM

Greensboro NC's gang activity has exploded in the last 2-3 years. Latin Kings, MS13, Bloods, Crips ... we got 'em all now. Very large areas of town I rarely go to any more.

Yeah, it's insane. I think I saw a stat that said there hadn't been a homicide in Harrisonburg in 5 years. That has to have changed recently. Some report just came out saying we have the 3rd highest level of gang activity in the state. That says a lot when the other areas are Northern Va (herndon, Burke, etc), Cap-city (Richmond) and the Hampton Roads areas...

Also, before big party weekends (spring and fall block parties, HC), the police come out and warn us about increased gang activity. At our fall block party back in August, police surveilance at the Port / Devon intersection showed a high gang traffic (i guess they can tell by clothing?). Rumor has it a lot of the gangs throughout the state hold initiation for new members and one of the things they have to do is rape a JMU girl. It's sickening. xnonono2x

AppSt.09
November 9th, 2008, 04:54 PM

Such as Four Seasons mall at night on the weekend. For such a nice mall it gets sketchy at night. I'm from Lexington and it's getting bad with ms13 tags on alot of the old furniture plants

blur2005
November 9th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I remember seeing him play against Harrisonburg (my alma mater). Sorry to hear that happened. Gang activity is definitely something Harrisonburg is going to have to deal with down the road as the city gets larger and poorer due to its increasing immigrant population

catamount man
November 9th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I have a suggestion on how America can help bring about an end to this gang increase, but 99.99% of you may not like it and it wouldn't endear me to the MODS so I will remain silent. Carry on. God bless the family of the kid. :(

kirkblitz
November 9th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I have a suggestion on how America can help bring about an end to this gang increase, but 99.99% of you may not like it and it wouldn't endear me to the MODS so I will remain silent. Carry on. God bless the family of the kid. :(

i know what your thinking and you dont stand alone on that train of thought

rcny46
November 9th, 2008, 07:01 PM

I'm one of the .01% who would like your idea whatever it is.

JmuSkinsfan
November 9th, 2008, 07:08 PM

You mean, increase funding for schools and make strides to eradicate poverty and increase education?

blur2005
November 9th, 2008, 07:13 PM
You mean, increase funding for schools and make strides to eradicate poverty and increase education?
I'm on board with that proactive and progressive train of thought.

Seawolf97
November 9th, 2008, 07:42 PM

Ditto on your thoughts. They are all over Long Island;)

RadMann
November 9th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but gang activity is not really news nationally, unless you are from the area or it is directly related to football (for this board). I'm not sure why the info is even posted here. Should we post car accident deaths next?

Turfwar
November 9th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that DUDE'S eye
And shoot HIM with my OL' FORTY-FIVE.
'CAUSE a country boy can survive.
Country folks can survive.

Go...gate
November 9th, 2008, 08:17 PM

You might be surprised at at the actual percentage. Gangs are all over Trenton and New Brunswick in Central NJ and are finding their way into the smaller towns, such as Princeton, Hightstown and Lawrenceville. The son of a very good friend was almost killed by being in the wrong place at the wrong time while a gang ritual went on at Nottingham HS in Hamilton Twp., right outside the City of Trenton.

SoCon48
November 9th, 2008, 08:30 PM

Ad me to that list of knowing what you mean and approving.

SoCon48
November 9th, 2008, 08:30 PM
You might be surprised at at the actual percentage. Gangs are all over Trenton and New Brunswick in Central NJ and are finding their way into the smaller towns, such as Princeton, Hightstown and Lawrenceville. The son of a very good friend was almost killed by being in the wrong place at the wrong time while a gang ritual went on at Nottingham HS in Hamilton Twp, right outside the City of Trenton.

They're all the way down south into smaller towns.

JmuSkinsfan
November 9th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but gang activity is not really news nationally, unless you are from the area or it is directly related to football (for this board). I'm not sure why the info is even posted here. Should we post car accident deaths next?

Well it was posted here because the victim was on the Liberty football team ... or once was...

mineral griz
November 9th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Get a pair of friends
Smith and Weston

madisonfan87
November 9th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Rumor has it a lot of the gangs throughout the state hold initiation for new members and one of the things they have to do is rape a JMU girl. It's sickening. xnonono2x

Its just a rumor and its not true. I've talked to HPD directly about it in a Justice class.
BTW, this topic should not be here in the FCS discussion.

SoCon48
November 10th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Its just a rumor and its not true. I've talked to HPD directly about it in a Justice class.

It is most certainly true in certain gangs as well as the initiation of a drive-by shootings for some gangs.

Linehawg
November 11th, 2008, 01:47 AM

Now THAT was funny....xlolx Washington DC gets the highest amount of funding per student in the country and it's an educational disaster. "Poverty" has never, and will never, EVER be eliminated in any country on earth. These kids do what they do because the society they grow up in tells them it's OK to do it, their music and TV shows validate their bad behavior as acceptable and encourages them to do it, and never holds them accountable for the behavior preferring to always blame someone else. Harrisonburg's increase in gang activity is mostly related to the illegals in the poultry industry and the refusal to deal with it. Not hard to understand why it went "blue" on Nov 4....

Linehawg
November 11th, 2008, 01:51 AM

Disagree. This is a problem faced by every football coach at both the high school and college levels. Sports like football offer these kids the ONLY discipline and eucation on teamwork they EVER get. The smart ones take advatage of it, the losers wind up in the newspapers on the police blotter.

SuperJon
November 11th, 2008, 08:11 AM
He's not on the team anymore, but last night at practice one of the guys in his class wore his jersey number. That'll likely go on until he's out of the hospital.

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I remember seeing him play against Harrisonburg (my alma mater). Sorry to hear that happened. Gang activity is definitely something Harrisonburg is going to have to deal with down the road as the city gets larger and poorer due to its increasing immigrant population

You mean illegal immigrant population. Harrisonburg has been overrun by them. Go back 15 years and the problem was a fraction of what it is now.

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Yeah, good idea. Washington DC spends more $ per pupil on secondary education and more $ in social services per capita than any other state and they have such wonderful schools and low crime. xlolx

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Now THAT was funny....xlolx Washington DC gets the highest amount of funding per student in the country and it's an educational disaster. "Poverty" has never, and will never, EVER be eliminated in any country on earth. These kids do what they do because the society they grow up in tells them it's OK to do it, their music and TV shows validate their bad behavior as acceptable and encourages them to do it, and never holds them accountable for the behavior preferring to always blame someone else. Harrisonburg's increase in gang activity is mostly related to the illegals in the poultry industry and the refusal to deal with it. Not hard to understand why it went "blue" on Nov 4....

I was going to say the same thing about DC. You're spot on.

I can tell you from the 7 years I spent in Harrisonburg in the 90s (5 at JMU) I could see the problem get noticeably worse during that time period. Now a decade later I go back to Harrisonburg all the time for the JMU games, plus I have family in the area, and I hear how the problem has just gotten worse.

Hope that kid pulls through.

Maroon&White
November 11th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Where did it say anything about it being gang related?

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2008, 08:45 PM
http://www.dnronline.com/news_details.php?AID=33175&CHID=1

BDKJMU
November 12th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Another article. This article and the prior stated: "Nicholson was a star football player at R.E. Lee High School in Staunton. He was recruited by James Madison University but enrolled at Liberty University in fall 2007 before leaving the school after one semester, according to a Liberty spokesman."

There was also a home invasion in the same apt complex that night.

"At about 1 a.m., three "male suspects forced their way into an apartment" in the 800 block of Port Republic Road, according to a statement released by the police. Once inside, one suspect displayed a firearm, according to the statement.

Friends of Nicholson believe the robbery suspects are the same group that shot him later in the morning, Wood said."

Again, this complex is almost all JMU students. According to the article, the feds are assisting in the investigation.

http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=33205&CHID=1

BDKJMU
November 12th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Football Community Reeling From News
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=33176&CHID=1

BDKJMU
November 16th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Police: ‘We Have The Shooter In Custody'
Authorities: Open-Door Parties Too Dangerous
"This was a gang-related shooting,"
http://www.dnronline.com/news_details.php?AID=33321&CHID=1

BDKJMU
November 21st, 2008, 05:49 PM
Sad news: Nicholson Passes Away
http://breezejmu.org/2008/11/21/nicholson-passes-away/

spdram
November 21st, 2008, 09:50 PM
Our thoughts an prayers for his family and close friends.