PDA

View Full Version : Big South Predictions Nov. 15 (Now with Power Rankings)

ToTheLeft
November 9th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Edward Waters at Charleston Southern

Coastal at Presby

VMI at Stony Brook

Gardner-Webb at LU

Power Rankings:

1) Liberty- Conference champs again, proving that the loss to Presby was just a fluke.
2) CSU- This is so tough to pick who the second best team is. I almost thought about putting CCU here, but CSU does have the win over G-W, which, while it was an ugly win, still looks good on them.
3) G-W- I still think they're a really good team, CCU had just been under-performing all year and finally put it together enough to squeak out a win.
4) SBU- I wanted to move SBU up... but beating Iona really doesn't mean all that much.
5) VMI- A very good, scrappy team that just can't seem to put it all together and keep it all together.
6)Coastal- I really do think they're better than this. But I can't justify them being any higher
7)Presby- Win over LU was nothing short of a miracle fluke. CSU put the Hose back in their place.

ToTheLeft
November 9th, 2008, 02:19 AM
CSU easily...
Coastal by 10
SBU by 14
LU by 30

Redwyn
November 9th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Power Rankings (the last conference game will undoubtedly change everyone but Liberty):

1. Liberty - Undefeated in conference play. Presby was unfortunate, but not of too much consequence till next season.
T2. Gardner Webb - Loss to Coastal makes sole possession of second impossible, and now drops G-Webb into a win/loss triangle with Stony Brook and Chuck South. Hard matchup vs. Liberty next week.
T2. Stony Brook - Win vs. Iona not of much significance, but wins vs. Chuck South and Coastal far more important. Win vs. VMI and G-Webb loss vs. Liberty would lock 2nd place in the team's first season in the conference.
4. Charleston Southern - Loss vs. Stony Brook and weaker strength of schedule (non DI in November) in FCS matchups (Bowl division matchups omitted) makes C-South the odd man out.
5. VMI - Incredible improvement all season, but still lacking vs. in-conference opponents. Win vs. Coastal keeps them out of the power ranking basement
6. Coastal Carolina - Great win vs. G-Webb, but must prove it wasn't a fluke to capitalize. Very weak out of conference schedule makes it imperative for Coastal to win its last two games to prove legitimacy.

Predictions for 11/15:

Liberty vs. G-Webb - A hard fought game, especially in G-Webb's quest for the 2nd place mark in the division, a position that could be play-off bound next year. Liberty will come out on top, but score will be close: Liberty 27-24

Coastal Carolina vs. Presby: If it repeats the form of its G-Webb win, there is no reason why Coastal can't take this game. However, Presby has surprised (ie vs. Liberty) at times during the season, so this might be an easy upset pick: Coastal 21-14

Charleston Southern vs. Edward Waters: I have absolutely no idea who or where Edward Waters is, but Charleston Southern should dominate this non-DI matchup like it has against others this season: Chuck South 48-14

Stony Brook vs. VMI: Both teams with exceptional running games. Legitimate chance of letdown for Stony Brook after its Iona win, but Seawolves should be ready to play its final home game and put a convincing end to its inaugural season: Stony Brook 24-17

jcmanson
November 9th, 2008, 05:58 AM
G-Webb's quest for the 2nd place mark in the division, a position that could be play-off bound next year.

I hope you're joking. The BSC has had one bid in its history, how will they even be considered for 2 next year?

Redwyn
November 9th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I'm not sure it's impossible. A ton changes with the addition of an auto-bid to a conference, not the least of which is recruit attractiveness. I'd say with the addition of SBU and the more important addition of Presby next year, the conference will definitely begin to show additional firepower in the polls. All this of course is speculation, as this season has revealed the startling weaknesses of the present conference (Liberty for the most part excluded).

SuperJon
November 9th, 2008, 12:34 PM
We don't get an autobid until 2010, not next year.

jcmanson
November 9th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Also, Presby won't be "officially" included in the conference until 2011.

kirkblitz
November 9th, 2008, 05:54 PM
vmi
gw
ccu/presby- this can go either way, one of the worst defenses in the country in CCU and one of the best passing attacks in the country at Presby. I can only hope we win :(

CSU Girl
November 10th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Power Rankings (the last conference game will undoubtedly change everyone but Liberty):

1. Liberty - Undefeated in conference play. Presby was unfortunate, but not of too much consequence till next season.
T2. Gardner Webb - Loss to Coastal makes sole possession of second impossible, and now drops G-Webb into a win/loss triangle with Stony Brook and Chuck South. Hard matchup vs. Liberty next week.
T2. Stony Brook - Win vs. Iona not of much significance, but wins vs. Chuck South and Coastal far more important. Win vs. VMI and G-Webb loss vs. Liberty would lock 2nd place in the team's first season in the conference.
4. Charleston Southern - Loss vs. Stony Brook and weaker strength of schedule (non DI in November) in FCS matchups (Bowl division matchups omitted) makes C-South the odd man out.
5. VMI - Incredible improvement all season, but still lacking vs. in-conference opponents. Win vs. Coastal keeps them out of the power ranking basement
6. Coastal Carolina - Great win vs. G-Webb, but must prove it wasn't a fluke to capitalize. Very weak out of conference schedule makes it imperative for Coastal to win its last two games to prove legitimacy.

Predictions for 11/15:

Liberty vs. G-Webb - A hard fought game, especially in G-Webb's quest for the 2nd place mark in the division, a position that could be play-off bound next year. Liberty will come out on top, but score will be close: Liberty 27-24

Coastal Carolina vs. Presby: If it repeats the form of its G-Webb win, there is no reason why Coastal can't take this game. However, Presby has surprised (ie vs. Liberty) at times during the season, so this might be an easy upset pick: Coastal 21-14

Charleston Southern vs. Edward Waters: I have absolutely no idea who or where Edward Waters is, but Charleston Southern should dominate this non-DI matchup like it has against others this season: Chuck South 48-14

Stony Brook vs. VMI: Both teams with exceptional running games. Legitimate chance of letdown for Stony Brook after its Iona win, but Seawolves should be ready to play its final home game and put a convincing end to its inaugural season: Stony Brook 24-17

I am sorry are you saying that CSU has a weak schedule this year??? If so, I disagree, we opened at Miami, we almost beat Miami of Ohio, and Wofford. Those are no joke schools. This is probably the toughest schedule CSU has seen.

SoccerSmells
November 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I am sorry are you saying that CSU has a weak schedule this year??? If so, I disagree, we opened at Miami, we almost beat Miami of Ohio, and Wofford. Those are no joke schools. This is probably the toughest schedule CSU has seen.

You also had North Greenville, Savannah State and Ed Waters on the schedule. So weaker, per usual, than most of the teams in the league. The BSC has to start strongly discouraging its membership in playing more than one D2/NAIA in a year, particularly the really bad ones.

Seawolf97
November 10th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Looking forward to Saturday. We are at home , 100 % healthy and coming off an ugly win over poor Iona. Should be a good game against a good opponent.

Redwyn
November 11th, 2008, 08:58 AM
My apologies regarding the autobid, I was under the misconception that 2009 was Presby's first official year, and the autobid would take effect immediately. That being said the closer we get to that reality the stronger the Freshman classes. Time will tell it appears.

Regarding C-Southern, it's hard for me to count a Bowl Subdivision opponent as a factor in a strength of schedule analysis. True, it factors into the win/loss total, but it seems to me that it's basically trying to find a high scale opponent for a "justifiable loss" in return for a massive profit boost (quite necessary for a developing football scholarship program, and very excited Stony Brook's upcoming BCS matchups). The fact that C-Southern played two is commendable for the endurance of the team, but in reality I'd be far more impressed with an App state than with a Miami OH or even Miami FL. And yes, the lower division opponents and the FCS bottomdwellers are way too numerous to earn anything but that dubious title. It's a great program, next year is always better.

BJuice
November 13th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Edward Waters at Charleston Southern

Coastal at Presby

VMI at Stony Brook

Gardner-Webb at LU

Charleston Southern. By 28
Presbyterian. By 7
VMI. By 7
Liberty. By 17

Seawolf97
November 14th, 2008, 10:22 AM
My apologies regarding the autobid, I was under the misconception that 2009 was Presby's first official year, and the autobid would take effect immediately. That being said the closer we get to that reality the stronger the Freshman classes. Time will tell it appears.

Regarding C-Southern, it's hard for me to count a Bowl Subdivision opponent as a factor in a strength of schedule analysis. True, it factors into the win/loss total, but it seems to me that it's basically trying to find a high scale opponent for a "justifiable loss" in return for a massive profit boost (quite necessary for a developing football scholarship program, and very excited Stony Brook's upcoming BCS matchups). The fact that C-Southern played two is commendable for the endurance of the team, but in reality I'd be far more impressed with an App state than with a Miami OH or even Miami FL. And yes, the lower division opponents and the FCS bottomdwellers are way too numerous to earn anything but that dubious title. It's a great program, next year is always better.

Dont forget the recruiting aspect of playing BCS teams. Athletes like to play on a big stage so when you play South Florida at Raymond James Stadium or Army at legendary Mitchie Stadium it has to be rush.

Libertine
November 14th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Dont forget the recruiting aspect of playing BCS teams. Athletes like to play on a big stage so when you play South Florida at Raymond James Stadium or Army at legendary Mitchie Stadium it has to be rush.

Been there, done that. Don't recommend it.

keydet71
November 15th, 2008, 06:01 AM
All right, I know I am changing the subject but I just have to do it! VMI beats Kentucky in basketball 111-103. Yes!!! And with GW's similar win last year, maybe Kentucky needs to try some other conference for their season opener. xbeerchugx :D