PDA

View Full Version : How to shut down the #1 passing Offense in FCS?

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM
You rush the ball 61 times for 312 yards, dominate the time of possesion 43:16 to 16:44 and intercept 3 passes.

Game Highlights Montana vs. Portland State (http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/news_item.aspx?n=7569&m=18)

..............................................Mont ................PSU
1st Downs...................................24........ ......... 11
3rd down efficiency...... ..............6-18............... 2-8
4th down efficiency..................... 4-4 ................0-0
Total Yards ................................430............... . 212
Passing ......................................118......... ...... 195
Comp-Att .................................16-23............. 11-29
Yards per pass............................. 5.1 ................6.7
Rushing ......................................312......... ........ 17
Rushing Attempts ..........................61................. 13
Yards per rush .............................5.11............... 1.3
Penalties ....................................10-120............ 4-35
Turnovers ......................................0........... ........ 4
Fumbles lost ...................................0.............. ......1
Interceptions thrown ........................0....................3
Possession...................................43:16 .............. 16:44

grizband
November 8th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Watch Reynolds run over the defender enroute to his second TD, at :31 left in the 3rd quarter. xeekx

uofmman1122
November 8th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I guess someone should have told Hauck that Montana doesn't have a rushing game this season.

I'm looking at you, Wolfman. xrotatehx

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Get this. Here's last weeks game stats against mighty Weber State played at Ogden!

........................................PSU....... ..........Weber
1st Downs ..........................25 ....................16
Total Yards ........................455....................405
Passing..............................354.......... ...........242
Rushing..............................101.......... ..........163
Penalties............................4-55...................9-94
3rd Down Conversions...........2-13...................5-17
4th Down Conversions...........1-2.....................0-0
Turnovers.............................4........... .............2
Possession........................27:55........... ........32:05

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 09:03 PM
All amidst the Griz repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot resulting in stupid penalties.

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 09:13 PM
It was a very physical game. Lot's of after play activity. 15 yards on Hauck after we were robbed on the Ferriter catch. A couple blocks in the back. A couple roughing penalties against JD when guys were mugging Reynolds and Bergquist. He is the designated enforcer you know. A couple interference penalties against TJ that saved big gainers. When you go in and a team wants to get physical you can't back down.

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 09:23 PM
It was a very physical game. Lot's of after play activity. 15 yards on Hauck after we were robbed on the Ferriter catch. A couple blocks in the back. A couple roughing penalties against JD when guys were mugging Reynolds and Bergquist. He is the designated enforcer you know. A couple interference penalties against TJ that saved big gainers. When you go in and a team wants to get physical you can't back down.

You're right, you can't back down. So you shove it down their throats during the play.

Saint3333
November 8th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Get this. Here's last weeks game stats against mighty Weber State played at Ogden!

Didn't they beat the almighty griz?

appstate38
November 8th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Hmmm, play a team that can tackle and actually has a strong D......

Is this a trick question. In all seriousness it looked like you had some decent balance on offense.

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 09:29 PM
You're right, you can't back down. So you shove it down their throats during the play.

We pretty much did with 312 yards rushing, 24 1st downs and keeping their offense off the field 2/3 of the game.xlolx

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 09:34 PM

Is this a trick question. In all seriousness it looked like you had some decent balance on offense.

Hey now. Don't confuse that sloppy tackling with the game you guys just played on Halloween.

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 09:36 PM
We pretty much did with 312 yards rushing, 24 1st downs and keeping their offense off the field 2/3 of the game.xlolx

Yeah so the penalties really weren't necessary.

I Bleed Purple
November 8th, 2008, 09:48 PM

........................................PSU....... ..........Weber
1st Downs ..........................25 ....................16
Total Yards ........................455....................405
Passing..............................354.......... ...........242
Rushing..............................101.......... ..........163
Penalties............................4-55...................9-94
3rd Down Conversions...........2-13...................5-17
4th Down Conversions...........1-2.....................0-0
Turnovers.............................4........... .............2
Possession........................27:55........... ........32:05

We were heading toward that kind domination right at the beginning of the second half, being up 31-0 and all, but kind of sputtered after that.

I Bleed Purple
November 8th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Just to let you know, we got to 300 rushing yards today in only 37 carries. Took you guys 62.

:p

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 09:52 PM
We were heading toward that kind domination right at the beginning of the second half, being up 31-0 and all, but kind of sputtered after that.

Yeah one thing that those stats neglect is how much of PSU's production came on WSU's second and third string defenses.

uofmman1122
November 8th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Just to let you know, we got to 300 rushing yards today in only 37 carries. Took you guys 62.

:pYou were also playing Idaho State.

It's a wonder it took you as long as it did. xlolx:pxsmiley_wix

I Bleed Purple
November 8th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah one thing that those stats neglect is how much of PSU's production came on WSU's second and third string defenses.

It was more the offense that sputtered than the defense. Had tons of three and outs in the second half. PSU was on the field a long time for a run and shoot offense in the second half. We got a little tired.

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 09:57 PM

Now that's real funny.

Portland State rushing defense 163.4 yards per gamexrulesx

Appy State rushing defense 174.9 yards per gamexrulesx

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Now that's real funny.

Ohhhhh ouch that one was below the belt.

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Now that's real funny.

App States rushing defense is a BEAST!

:D:D:D

uofmman1122
November 8th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Now that's real funny.

Appy State rushing defense 174.9 yards per gamexrulesxDon't worry, he'll chime back in with the obligatory "Well, it's a against the Big Sky" or "Well, we've played better teams" or "Don't you know Appy State beat Michigan?" xlolx

I Bleed Purple
November 8th, 2008, 10:40 PM
You were also playing Idaho State.

It's a wonder it took you as long as it did. xlolx:pxsmiley_wix

I was considering mentioning that, but I thought I'd let you guys do it since I knew you would. :p

Grizaholic17
November 8th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Don't worry, he'll chime back in with the obligatory "Well, it's a against the Big Sky" or "Well, we've played better teams" or "Don't you know Appy State beat Michigan?" xlolx

leaning towards the latter on that.

Great game by the griz!

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 9th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Don't worry, he'll chime back in with the obligatory "Well, it's a against the Big Sky" or "Well, we've played better teams" or "Don't you know Appy State beat Michigan?" xlolx

Could always use option 3: We played JMU and all they do is run the football. They NEVER pass! Hence the reason why are run stats are skewed. xlolx

ericsaid
November 9th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Play Appalachian State.

ASU
November 9th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Play Appalachian State.

Maybe we will finally see The Griz this year.....they talk almost as much smack as JMU.

GolfingGriz
November 9th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Maybe we will finally see The Griz this year.....they talk almost as much smack as JMU.

Haha, serioulsy App State??

uofmman1122
November 9th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Play Appalachian State.Be careful what you wish for.

We just might have to embarrass you guys again. xlolxxnodx

1-0 certainly isn't amazing, but it's sure better than being 0-1. xlolx

Saint3333
November 9th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Now that's real funny.

Nice stats Ronbo, quite misleading though.

ASU has played the #1 and #6 rushing offenses in FCS plus LSU.

PSU's best rushing offense opponent was Montana #39 with 165 ypg.

Looks like PSU allows more rushing yards than their opponent averages.

If you think PSU's defense (ranked 112 in the FCS) compares to ASU's now that's funny. May I suggest --->xreadx

As for embarrassing ASU "again", yep Jimmy Farris catching a ball late in the game to beat ASU by 3 was a whooping...

uofmman1122
November 9th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Nice stats Ronbo, quite misleading though.

ASU has played the #1 and #6 rushing offenses in FCS plus LSU.

PSU's best rushing offense opponent was Montana #39 with 165 ypg.

Looks like PSU allows more rushing yards than their opponent averages.

If you think PSU's defense (ranked 112 in the FCS) compares to ASU's now that's funny. May I suggest --->xreadx

As for embarrassing ASU "again", yep Jimmy Farris catching a ball late in the game to beat ASU by 3 was a whooping...That's good, but you forgot to mention Michigan. xlolx

neersnbeers
November 9th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Play an East coast team....... Haha. Couldn't resist!

Eight Legger
November 9th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I think I speak for the rest of FCS when I say that we are all mightily impressed that Montana could beat the likes of Portland State. I will be voting Montana #1 the rest of the season purely on the basis of this stunning result....

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 9th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I think I speak for the rest of FCS when I say that we are all mightily impressed that Montana could beat the likes of Portland State. I will be voting Montana #1 the rest of the season purely on the basis of this stunning result....

So that would be one # 1 vote for Montana and one #1 vote for Weber....talk about your West Coast bias.......xlolx

putter
November 9th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Didn't this thread start out as how to #1 passing offense. Then turned into the typical pissing contest. Oh well, guess the playoffs are just around the corner.

Ronbo
November 9th, 2008, 11:33 AM

This thread was about shutting down the #1 passing offense at their home where they were undefeated. Did you even look at the stats? NO ONE has done that to that PSU offense this season.

What would be more interesting would be to talk about how in the world a team with 3 losses is in the top 10? I don't care WHO you lost to, by losing those games it proves you can't win the big game and don't deserve to be top 10.

crusader11
November 9th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Holy Cross, in my opinion, has the best passing attack in the country. Just look at the numbers. Although Portland State and SFA have more passing yards, they don't win games, so their passing offense obviously is only one strong aspect of their team. And, Holy Cross is putting up more points than Portland State and SFA. May be a homer pick here, but if you are able to witness Holy Cross' offense, I think you would agree.

Eight Legger
November 9th, 2008, 12:56 PM
This thread was about shutting down the #1 passing offense at their home where they were undefeated. Did you even look at the stats? NO ONE has done that to that PSU offense this season.

What would be more interesting would be to talk about how in the world a team with 3 losses is in the top 10? I don't care WHO you lost to, by losing those games it proves you can't win the big game and don't deserve to be top 10.

Excuse us for playing a schedule that includes 5 top-15 teams and an FBS school. I didn't realize that we had to win all of those games to be considered a deserving playoff team. My bad. In retrospect, we should have killed UVA, since they didn't beat two top-25 FBS teams this year. Oh wait, they did.

You're right, though. We don't show up for the big games. Like beating Elon by 18 at Elon. Or killing Maine. Or beating UMass by 15 on the road. Or losing on the last play of the game against the #1 team in the country. Sorry about that. Maybe we should downgrade to DII next year.

appstate38
November 9th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Now that's real funny.

Ronbo,

Nice but you notice I left our defense out of the equation. I was in no way referring to our defense with that statement. Now if you guys want to put the ball on the ground or throw it to us then we are your team. Our best D is 14 and that offense.

Grizaholic17
November 9th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Excuse us for playing a schedule that includes 5 top-15 teams and an FBS school. I didn't realize that we had to win all of those games to be considered a deserving playoff team. My bad. In retrospect, we should have killed UVA, since they didn't beat two top-25 FBS teams this year. Oh wait, they did.

You're right, though. We don't show up for the big games. Like beating Elon by 18 at Elon. Or killing Maine. Or beating UMass by 15 on the road. Or losing on the last play of the game against the #1 team in the country. Sorry about that. Maybe we should downgrade to DII next year.

Maybe the Bis Sky is deserving of all those top 15 spots too...but who really knows? We would love to play great conference teams...oh wait, we do...but no one else respects them. East coast bias forever and always. xpeacex

appstate38
November 9th, 2008, 01:09 PM

You should know me better than that... Why do I need to bag on the Big Sky. Obiviously my sarcasm was missed by all especially since I said your offense had been showing alot of balance lately. Show just for that there will be no more kudos for the Griz.

BTW.... You guys didn't know we beat Michigan?????xrolleyesx :D xrolleyesx :D

JALMOND
November 9th, 2008, 01:30 PM
You rush the ball 61 times for 312 yards, dominate the time of possesion 43:16 to 16:44 and intercept 3 passes.

Game Highlights Montana vs. Portland State (http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/news_item.aspx?n=7569&m=18)

..............................................Mont ................PSU
1st Downs...................................24........ ......... 11
3rd down efficiency...... ..............6-18............... 2-8
4th down efficiency..................... 4-4 ................0-0
Total Yards ................................430............... . 212
Passing ......................................118......... ...... 195
Comp-Att .................................16-23............. 11-29
Yards per pass............................. 5.1 ................6.7
Rushing ......................................312......... ........ 17
Rushing Attempts ..........................61................. 13
Yards per rush .............................5.11............... 1.3
Penalties ....................................10-120............ 4-35
Turnovers ......................................0........... ........ 4
Fumbles lost ...................................0.............. ......1
Interceptions thrown ........................0....................3
Possession...................................43:16 .............. 16:44

Or you could just wait for the PSU OC to get a little impatient and pull his quarterback (or not decide on a starter until game time). Not one to criticize Davis and his years of doing this offense, but in following the Vikings this year, I wish he would have stayed by his decision at the beginning and lived with it all year. Whether its Howland or Hubel, they make a mistake and they're looking over their shoulder wondering if they are going to get pulled because of it. Not one to criticize someone who has more football knowledge in his pinky finger than I've ever had, tho.

gbhmt
November 9th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Or you could just wait for the PSU OC to get a little impatient and pull his quarterback (or not decide on a starter until game time). Not one to criticize Davis and his years of doing this offense, but in following the Vikings this year, I wish he would have stayed by his decision at the beginning and lived with it all year. Whether its Howland or Hubel, they make a mistake and they're looking over their shoulder wondering if they are going to get pulled because of it. Not one to criticize someone who has more football knowledge in his pinky finger than I've ever had, tho.

I thought that was completely out of line. No player is gonna perform his best under the pressure knowing he's one mistake from the bench. It's also not easy on your entire offense to be switching your playcaller on a whim.

JALMOND
November 9th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I thought that was completely out of line. No player is gonna perform his best under the pressure knowing he's one mistake from the bench. It's also not easy on your entire offense to be switching your playcaller on a whim.

It's what we've been doing every game all year. For me as a fan, I say that Hubel has had some great performances, he clearly has some type of grasp on the system. Have him be the starter, let him make mistakes and let the young team grow around them, instead of constantly jerking him around. Now, this late in then year, Davis has been bringing in both the third string (Collins) and the fourth string (Kavanaugh) to the mix as well.

But what do I know.

McNeese72
November 9th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I guess you shut down the #1 passing offense in the FCS by doing something similar to what McNeese did to the #2 passing offense in the FCS.

You get 299 yards on the ground in 55 rushing attempts. 240 yards of those were by Todd Pendland. And you add 213 yards passing for over 500 yards total offense. Pendland also had 65 yards receiving for over 300 total offense.

And you win the time of possession war by over 10 minutes. Also, you don't have any turnovers.

Yep, that should do it.

Doc

Eight Legger
November 9th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Maybe the Bis Sky is deserving of all those top 15 spots too...but who really knows? We would love to play great conference teams...oh wait, we do...but no one else respects them. East coast bias forever and always. xpeacex

Hey if all the East Coast teams are so bad, then why don't you guys leave your cozy stadium, get on an airplane and come beat one of us some year? No offense, but it's not just me saying that the CAA and SoCon are better than your league -- it's everyone: coaches, writers, pollsters.

If you want to change that perception, then give the rest of us something to go on. Because the last memory I have is of an undefeated Montana team from the "great" Big Sky conference falling on its face at home in the first round to one of those "lesser" East Coast teams last year.

gbhmt
November 9th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Hey if all the East Coast teams are so bad, then why don't you guys leave your cozy stadium, get on an airplane and come beat one of us some year? No offense, but it's not just me saying that the CAA and SoCon are better than your league -- it's everyone: coaches, writers, pollsters.

If you want to change that perception, then give the rest of us something to go on. Because the last memory I have is of an undefeated Montana team from the "great" Big Sky conference falling on its face at home in the first round to one of those "lesser" East Coast teams last year.

Yeah you know the champions of the mighty SoCon is a "lesser" team. If you want to point fingers about traveling, then why don't all of you Eastern teams come over to the west?

One thing many people fail to consider about all of this first round loss crap is that since there are so few playoff teams out here in the west, we end up playing better teams than you in the first round. Teams in the east will end up with teams like Tennessee State and Northwestern State while teams like Montana and Weber get to choose between Cal Poly and UNI.

GolfingGriz
November 9th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Yeah you know the champions of the mighty SoCon is a "lesser" team. If you want to point fingers about traveling, then why don't all of you Eastern teams come over to the west?

One thing many people fail to consider about all of this first round loss crap is that since there are so few playoff teams out here in the west, we end up playing better teams than you in the first round. Teams in the east will end up with teams like Tennessee State and Northwestern State while teams like Montana and Weber get to choose between Cal Poly and UNI.

Don't use Northwestern State as an example because they are considered "out west" come playoff time. A better example would be the patriot champ, the OVC champ, or the MEAC champ. What's frustrating is Either Weber or Montana will get Cal Poly in the first round and then likely play the other team in the next round. If they match us up like this it is basically a guarentee that we will get one team into the semis, but in a year like this we could have these teams go deeper if given the chance.

I Bleed Purple
November 9th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Considering most east teams drive across the street to play their opponents while the Big Sky actually, you know, travels for their road games, it'd be a much less financial burden for eastern teams to come over here than the reverse. Plus then you'd have the novelty of a hotel and a plane ride.

Appstate29
November 9th, 2008, 03:49 PM

You mean like Wofford? You guys just focus on winning the rest of your games and hopefully the first and second round playoff games, and if we oblige, then you can come down to boone and receive your xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx

gbhmt
November 9th, 2008, 03:51 PM
You mean like Wofford? You guys just focus on winning the rest of your games and hopefully the first and second round playoff games, and if we oblige, then you can come down to boone and receive your xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx

No, Wofford was a champion of a top two conference in FCS. Unlike those other teams. Unless you're just trying to say your own conference is on par with the likes of the Southland and MEAC and OVC.

Proud Griz Man
November 9th, 2008, 04:17 PM

The Montana Grizzlies have played at McNeese State, Sam Houston St., North Texas, Northern Iowa, Iowa, Kansas St., Maine, Hofstra, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Washington St., Oregon St., Oregon, Idaho, Fresno State, and Hawaii. Fact.

GolfingGriz
November 9th, 2008, 04:20 PM

If you'd like, you could come back to Missoula so we could put you to sleep like we did in 2000