PDA

View Full Version : Slim to none.

appstate38
November 8th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Drawing closer and closer to playoff time. Who are your picks for teams that are running out of opportunities to make the dance.

For Me UMass is probably out
UNH has one foot on a banana peel and they are on the edge of the cliff.
Furman is on life support but they still have a pulse
NAU is dead in the water
Liberty will have to wait for an autobid.... Next year!

grizband
November 8th, 2008, 07:49 PM
With a loss to Sacramento State today, UC Davis (5-5) is done.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 8th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Funeral for Umass is tomorrow. They are definitely out.

appstate38
November 8th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Western Illinois.... Throw some dirt on the coffin.

appstate1998
November 8th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I really don't see UMASS getting in either. Wofford was in trouble there for a little bit and could have blown their chances.

patssle
November 8th, 2008, 07:56 PM
The entire Southland Conference, minus one team.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 8th, 2008, 08:01 PM
The OVC and MEAC participants will be more formidable than the Southland entry in this years playoffs.

patssle
November 8th, 2008, 08:06 PM
The OVC and MEAC participants will be more formidable than the Southland entry in this years playoffs.

Not necessary. TXST, SHSU, and SFA all have the firepower to take on anybody, but all 3 are not consistent. Just depends if they show up or not. NWST would probably get wiped. McNeese might be the best all around team (in terms of playoff teams, UCA not included) - but who knows at this point.

theasushow
November 8th, 2008, 08:39 PM
i was watching the wofford-citadel game today, and the announcers kept saying that coach ayers said wofford must win out to even have a prayer at the playoffs. i dont think this is true, i know wofford still has some tough competition left by i think they can afford to lose 1 game and still have a strong chance of getting in. maybe coach ayers was just trying to light the flame under his players, i think if they win out then they playoffs are a guarantee, even if elon beats app.

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Drawing closer and closer to playoff time. Who are your picks for teams that are running out of opportunities to make the dance.

For Me UMass is probably out
UNH has one foot on a banana peel and they are on the edge of the cliff.
Furman is on life support but they still have a pulse
NAU is dead in the water
Liberty will have to wait for an autobid.... Next year!

The Paladins are hardly on life support. They control their own destiny. They will be favored at home against the Eagles and then will have to beat a Terrier team that has looked very pedestrian the past few weeks.

Liberty could still impact the playoff picture. If Furman beats GSU and loses to Wofford, then an Elon loss to Liberty might still put the Paladins in at 8-4. Furman would have lost to 3 top 10 teams all on the road and Virginia Tech.

Then again, there might only be two SoCon schools going this year (which I think would be an oversight given the success rate, but the conference committee rarely does the rational thing).

furman94
November 8th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I agree... we should win next week, and after today I feel great about our game in Sparkleburg at The Dungeon-East :D

theasushow
November 8th, 2008, 08:54 PM
The Paladins are hardly on life support. They control their own destiny. They will be favored at home against the Eagles and then will have to beat a Terrier team that has looked very pedestrian the past few weeks.

Liberty could still impact the playoff picture. If Furman beats GSU and loses to Wofford, then an Elon loss to Liberty might still put the Paladins in at 8-4. Furman would have lost to 3 top 10 teams all on the road and Virginia Tech.

Then again, there might only be two SoCon schools going this year (which I think would be an oversight given the success rate, but the conference committee rarely does the rational thing).

i agree, that wofford-furman game may be for a playoff spot.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 8th, 2008, 08:55 PM

I think the SoCon gets 3 in. App is solid. Elon's not losing to Liberty. If they are reasonably competitive at App, they're in.

The other bid comes down to the Furman/Wofford winner. I know it would suck out lod for Wofford to miss out and see the same Elon team that they thrashed get a bid ... but I think it is hard to justify more than 3 teams in a 9 team conference in the field.

appstate38
November 8th, 2008, 09:16 PM

No disrespect intended.... SoCon won't get 4 teams into the dance even if you guys are 8-4. Right now it is Wofford, Elon and Furman looking at 2 spots. Realistically all 3 could be on life support depending on how these last 2 weeks play out.

ValleyChamp
November 8th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I really don't like Indiana State's chances any longer...

millwoga1
November 8th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Wofford needs to win out to eliminate being nervous on selection day. One loss and they may need some help from other teams to get in and two losses would mean losing three of last four so their out.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 8th, 2008, 09:32 PM
There will probably be 3 at-large bids decided from the following games on November 22:

UR @ WM
UNH @ Maine
Furman @ Wofford

Pretty exciting stuff.

Saint3333
November 8th, 2008, 09:48 PM
There will probably be 3 at-large bids decided from the following games on November 22:

UR @ WM
UNH @ Maine
Furman @ Wofford

Pretty exciting stuff.

All those teams will be pulling for Cal Poly to slip to UC Davis. If they don't I agree all 3 will be "playoff" games.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 8th, 2008, 09:52 PM
All those teams will be pulling for Cal Poly to slip to UC Davis. If they don't I agree all 3 will be "playoff" games.

Well if that's the case, two of them will be playoff games ... the teams just won't know which two are the playoff games.

Khan4Cats
November 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Big game in the MVFC next week:

South Dakota State (6-4, 5-1) at Southern Illinois (7-2, 5-1)

UNI (8-2, 6-1) finishes their conference season at Indiana State, so they will almost certainly finish with only 1 conference loss.

If SDSU wins, UNI clinches the auto-bid and both SIU and SDSU play the last week trying to claim at-larges (SDSU at NDSU and SIU at Illinois State).

If SIU wins, SDSU is out with 5 losses and SIU goes to Illinois State with a chance to claim the auto-bid.

Also note to this game, no Gateway/Valley school has won 6 games in conference play and not made the play-offs.

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2008, 11:46 PM
No disrespect intended.... SoCon won't get 4 teams into the dance even if you guys are 8-4. Right now it is Wofford, Elon and Furman looking at 2 spots. Realistically all 3 could be on life support depending on how these last 2 weeks play out.

Not what I was arguing. If Furman beats GSU and loses to Wofford, and Elon loses both to App and Liberty the Paladins will be 8-4 and Phoenix 8-4. In this scenario, I think the SoCon would just get two bids.

You're right though, no "gimme" games left for any of those three teams.

JayJ79
November 8th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Also note to this game, no Gateway/Valley school has won 6 games in conference play and not made the play-offs.

Not necessarily a meaningful benchmark with the 12 game season this year.

SoCon48
November 9th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Western Illinois.... Throw some dirt on the coffin.

Manure would be better.