PDA

View Full Version : Stony Brook defeats Iona 68-9

Redwyn
November 8th, 2008, 06:59 PM
This score seems almost unreal in light of SBU's offensive problems earlier in the season. Is this a case of Iona being brutally overmatched, or a fluke offensive explosion from SBU?

Was anyone at the game who can share their views of both teams?

app
November 8th, 2008, 07:23 PM
no they ran up the score.

Seawolf97
November 8th, 2008, 07:42 PM
It was ugly and the kind of game you really dont like to see. Actually we didnt run up the score as much as just about everyone scored. A reserve running back Tarant Anderson had 110 yards and 2 TDs in less than a quarter of play in his first game. Throw in a defensive TD on an interception -well you get the picture. Iona was totally outmatched in size and speed. I have to feel for them. Last week Maine put up 55 points on them. This game couldn't end fast enough.

stonywolf
November 8th, 2008, 10:04 PM
We def didnt run the score up. How can we run up the score attempting only 6 passes? Coach Priore isn't even that type of coach.

I understand that we had offensive problems earlier in the season, but in the last two games we rushed for almost 1,000 yards, and in the last four games that total is almost 1,500.

Remember, we put up 330 yards rushing at home against the #4 rushing D in the FCS in Gardner Webb. We've just finally found our groove.

danefan
November 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Its too bad its about 5 games too late.

Full of ups and downs this season and that Hofstra game will hurt LI recruiting for another year at least.

Zoo
November 8th, 2008, 11:08 PM
This loss to Stony Brook might add the fire to Iona's sitiuation of putting a halt to their football program.

Footballer31
November 10th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I saw the first half. Iona was outsized, outquicked, outfootballed. It was as hopeless a college football game as I have ever seen. You have to really feel sorry for the players. They aren't bad players. They just aren't anything near 1-AA.

DetroitFlyer
November 10th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Wow, I was not at the game, but the comments here are a complete crock of you know what.... So Iona got "blown out".... It happens EVERY WEEK in all levels of college football. Team "A" plays great and Team "B" stinks the place up.... Last year, Dayton beat Butler 61-0. This year, Dayton had to go to overtime to win 28-21. But, according to the smart folks here, Iona should just fold up shop and go home because there is no way they are an FCS team. I suppose that Butler should have done the same thing last year? I suppose that Jacksonville should have called it quits after the App State game.... Frankly, Wofford should have immediately folded their program after that "game" with App State....

Wait, I know, maybe the Iona coach was told to lose big to accelerate the demise of the program.... Give me a break....

Seawolf97
November 10th, 2008, 09:53 PM
The Iona program is grossly under funded ,has spartan facilities and a coach that is doing his best to put a team on the field. The teams you mentioned all can win at the FCS level and have since their blowout losses
including StonyBrook. The Iona players have alot of heart and some of them arent bad but they are not able to consistently compete at this level. I wouldnt be surprised if Bryant who they play week this puts 42 points up on the board. It will be sad if we lose another team this year because the Iona Admin have turned their backs on football.

Footballer31
November 12th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Detroit Flyer, the comments may seem a little harsh, but they are certainly informed.

Most of us agree that teams go though rough years. Others are taking that next step and experience some growing pains. Neither of these scenarios are applicable here.

This isn't a case of Maine beating them 55-7 this year and maybe Iona will hang tough next year. It is a case of Maine blowing them out every time they play them.

Lunacy by definition is doing something the same way every time and expecting a different result.

This is about Iona not being able to compete, and not doing anything of substance to try to be competitive for the foreseeable future. When the actions are the same, the results will be the same.

As football fans, none of us like to see it, but it is a glaring reality.

MR. CHICKEN
November 12th, 2008, 09:17 AM
HOW'D YA'LL GIVE UP 9........TA IONA...xconfusedx.......YER "D"......MUST BE SWISS....:D............BRAWK/OBAMA!

Seawolf97
November 12th, 2008, 08:47 PM
HOW'D YA'LL GIVE UP 9........TA IONA...xconfusedx.......YER "D"......MUST BE SWISS....:D............BRAWK/OBAMA!

A blocked extra point run back for 2 . A nice pass play went for about 35 yards. Actually Im glad Iona scored a few .

Footballer31
November 12th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Funny thing about those blocked kicks for two points. Iona through the years has gotten more than their fair share of them.

Of course the very first one came against them playing St. John's. Iona scored to tie a in the 4th quarter. St. John's blocked the extra point kick, returned it for two and won 26-24 or something nutty like that.
I am pretty sure that was the first one in college football.

apaladin
November 12th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Actually the only reason that teams like Dayton, Iona, San Diego, Robert Morris, Davidson etc are even associated with the FCS is because the NCAA mandated that if you are a D-1 program and play football you have to play D-1 football. The FCS(1-AA) inherited all these d-III teams without said teams doing anything. No scholarships, facility upgrades, nothing, they just changed their label which overall hurt FCS.

Seawolf97
November 12th, 2008, 09:03 PM
We are by far not the most powerful team around. But last Saturday we could do no wrong. I still feel for those players -especially in the rain -getting pounded like that.

danefan
November 12th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Actually the only reason that teams like Dayton, Iona, San Diego, Robert Morris, Davidson etc are even associated with the FCS is because the NCAA mandated that if you are a D-1 program and play football you have to play D-1 football. The FCS(1-AA) inherited all these d-III teams without said teams doing anything. No scholarships, facility upgrades, nothing, they just changed their label which overall hurt FCS.

Thank you oh wise one. xbowx
Move along now to this thread if you'd like to complain.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52182

Your argument (which has been repeated 100000 times on this board) has been shut down 100000 times in that thread alone.

downbythebeach
November 12th, 2008, 09:08 PM

Everyone knows this rule, but
RMU was never D3

DetroitFlyer
November 13th, 2008, 08:27 AM

Oh Grasshopper, how little you know. Fortunately, I am going to help you, just this once....

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/index.php

You may now use the link above in an effort to educate yourself on the topic of college football!

My Dayton Flyers have won over 600 games in their proud, 103 years of football history. Back in the day, the mighty Flyers played what would be considered today, FBS level football! At that time, the on campus football stadium, Baujan Field,

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/facilities/BaujanField.html

was able to hold 20,000 plus fans. I will not give you all of the details of the teams we routinely played, consider that a homework assignment, Grasshopper. Today, as you may have noticed, Baujan Field still carries the name of College Hall of Fame football coaching legend, Harry Baujan, but it is now a state of the art soccer venue.

Back in 1977, Dayton decided to drop athletic football scholarships and join the ranks of Division III football. Now, Grasshopper, try to stay with me here, Dayton took their FBS level program down to Division III. Homework assignment #2: Do you think that Dayton downgraded all of the football facilities to a Division III standard?

During the Division III years, Dayton won national championships in 1980 and 1989. We were in the playoffs most years and played in the national championship a few more times. Again, I will not give you the details here, Grasshopper; use the link above to educate yourself on Dayton's Division III days.

Well, by the early 1990's, the Division III programs convinced the NCAA that it was "unfair" for them to compete with schools like Dayton that offered Division I facilities and held unfair recruiting advantages over the other teams in Division III. So, the NCAA forced teams like Dayton to REJOIN the ranks of Division I football! To this day, the NCAA ruling is still referred to as "The Dayton Rule".

Today, the Flyers have facilities that rival any FCS program. We play in an 11,000 seat stadium that is part of a newly developed athletics complex, (practice football field, baseball stadium, softball stadium, and hotel which are all new, the existing UD Arena for basketball, and of course Welcome Stadium.

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/facilities/WelcomeStadium.html

Welcome Stadium had brand new field turf installed this year, and the facility is undergoing a renovation that will greatly improve the facility and make it fit in to the other great venues in the complex.

Now, Grasshopper, please complete your homework assignments in an effort to make more knowledgeable and informed posts in the future.

And.... Your welcome!

DSUrocks07
November 13th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Oh Grasshopper, how little you know. Fortunately, I am going to help you, just this once....

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/index.php

You may now use the link above in an effort to educate yourself on the topic of college football!

My Dayton Flyers have won over 600 games in their proud, 103 years of football history. Back in the day, the mighty Flyers played what would be considered today, FBS level football! At that time, the on campus football stadium, Baujan Field,

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/facilities/BaujanField.html

was able to hold 20,000 plus fans. I will not give you all of the details of the teams we routinely played, consider that a homework assignment, Grasshopper. Today, as you may have noticed, Baujan Field still carries the name of College Hall of Fame football coaching legend, Harry Baujan, but it is now a state of the art soccer venue.

Back in 1977, Dayton decided to drop athletic football scholarships and join the ranks of Division III football. Now, Grasshopper, try to stay with me here, Dayton took their FBS level program down to Division III. Homework assignment #2: Do you think that Dayton downgraded all of the football facilities to a Division III standard?

During the Division III years, Dayton won national championships in 1980 and 1989. We were in the playoffs most years and played in the national championship a few more times. Again, I will not give you the details here, Grasshopper; use the link above to educate yourself on Dayton's Division III days.

Well, by the early 1990's, the Division III programs convinced the NCAA that it was "unfair" for them to compete with schools like Dayton that offered Division I facilities and held unfair recruiting advantages over the other teams in Division III. So, the NCAA forced teams like Dayton to REJOIN the ranks of Division I football! To this day, the NCAA ruling is still referred to as "The Dayton Rule".

Today, the Flyers have facilities that rival any FCS program. We play in an 11,000 seat stadium that is part of a newly developed athletics complex, (practice football field, baseball stadium, softball stadium, and hotel which are all new, the existing UD Arena for basketball, and of course Welcome Stadium.

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/facilities/WelcomeStadium.html

Welcome Stadium had brand new field turf installed this year, and the facility is undergoing a renovation that will greatly improve the facility and make it fit in to the other great venues in the complex.

Now, Grasshopper, please complete your homework assignments in an effort to make more knowledgeable and informed posts in the future.

And.... Your welcome!

No offense DF, but that stadium looks terrible and completely out of place...

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/dayt/sports/m-footbl/auto_original/174534.jpeg

Have you ever played SimCity where you can just plop down buildings anywhere? Thats what it reminds me of.

danefan
November 13th, 2008, 10:31 AM
No matter where it is, its still better than a lot of FCS stadiums (including Albany's).

And that's not a recent pic. They upgraded the turf this year and made it a bit more asthleticaly pleasing.

DSUrocks07
November 13th, 2008, 10:45 AM
No matter where it is, its still better than a lot of FCS stadiums (including Albany's).

And that's not a recent pic. They upgraded the turf this year and made it a bit more asthleticaly pleasing.

Yeah it does look fairly new in this pic. You can even see some of the parking spots that the stadium was built over xlolx

DetroitFlyer
November 13th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I do not have a more recent picture of Welcome Stadium, but the attached renditions will give you an idea of some of the upgrades being completed.

DetroitFlyer
November 13th, 2008, 11:47 AM

The picture of Albany's field does not look too bad. I actually expected much worse after what the Albany fans say about the place.... The website claims 10K can attend for football.... Where do they sit? I see a VERY small set of stands on the visitor's side, and nothing on the home side?

DSUrocks07
November 13th, 2008, 11:53 AM
The picture of Albany's field does not look too bad. I actually expected much worse after what the Albany fans say about the place.... The website claims 10K can attend for football.... Where do they sit? I see a VERY small set of stands on the visitor's side, and nothing on the home side?

xeekx

No kidding, it looks like you can only fit 100 people MAYBE over there...danefan explain? xconfusedx

Footballer31
November 13th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I will say this for UA's field, it was certainly the shortest walk to the locker room at halftime. I am not sure if football locker room facilities are there still or in the RAC. The player surface itself is great.

Welcome stadium seems like a windy place to play at the end of October.

Since we are on the Iona thread, they were totally blown up by Dayton in 1990 if memory serves me correctly. Iona had a pretty solid team that year and since Dayton set the standard, someone thought it was good to find out what kind of team they really had.

Credit them for taking the game, but it was a long bus ride for a butt whipping...

danefan
November 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM

the 10,000 number includes hill-seating. The most I've seen is in the 6,500 range all of that is in the stands. They put about 200 seats in the endzone for students.

here's a picture of the bleachers on the home side and away side and will explain to you why we think its the worst stadium in FCS:

http://www.basketballforum.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCN0503.JPG

http://www.basketballforum.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCN0502.JPG

danefan
November 13th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I will say this for UA's field, it was certainly the shortest walk to the locker room at halftime. I am not sure if football locker room facilities are there still or in the RAC. The player surface itself is great.

Since we are on the Iona thread, they were totally blown up by Dayton in 1990 if memory serves me correctly. Iona had a pretty solid team that year and since Dayton set the standard, someone thought it was good to find out what kind of team they really had.

Credit them for taking the game, but it was a long bus ride for a butt whipping...

The lockerroom facilities are in the RACC still and it is very close to the field. The grass surface is one of the best natural grass fields you'll ever find. Same goes with the practice fields. They have to be because of the Giants. They are very particular. But UA is responsible for cost of upkeep.

The weightroom and home lockerroom are low FBS level quality (wood lockers, flat panel tv's, video games, etc....).

the practice facilities are top notch.

The training and meeting facilities need an upgrade, but that is supposed to happen as part of the stadium.

DetroitFlyer
November 13th, 2008, 12:34 PM

Welcome Stadium does get some really odd wind patterns if the wind is blowing at all. The open end zones do not help. I was hoping for maybe higher walls, possibly made of brick.... (You should see Drake's stadium by the way). Oh well, Welcome is slowly being improved, it is not the best stadium in FCS, but it is certainly competitive with many programs.

As for 1990, good memory. October 6, 1990, Iona at Dayton. Final: Dayton 49 Iona 16. Not really all that bad, this is a pretty common score most weekends in the world of FCS. Here is to hoping we see Iona again as part of the PFL.

danefan
November 13th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Drake's updated stadium:

https://admin.xosn.com//pics10/800/TB/TBHSQCJBJQICHQG.20080915171606.jpg

Looks good. When I played there in 2001, it was in tough shape. The Drake Relays really help. I wonder what game that is in the pic....looks packed.

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Drake and Dayton have nothing to worry about. They're not close to the bottom rung of stadia inhabited by the usual suspects, mostly in the NE.

DetroitFlyer
November 13th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Drake's updated stadium:

Looks good. When I played there in 2001, it was in tough shape. The Drake Relays really help. I wonder what game that is in the pic....looks packed.

Drake also looks great from the outside. There is a ton of brick work around the entire stadium. It really looks and feels like a place where a football movie could be filmed. You cannot tell from the picture, but the stadium is a horseshoe design. I think it is the best facility in the PFL by far. I'd rate USD #2. I wonder if the game is one of the Northern Iowa games?

danefan
November 13th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Drake also looks great from the outside. There is a ton of brick work around the entire stadium. It really looks and feels like a place where a football movie could be filmed. You cannot tell from the picture, but the stadium is a horseshoe design. I think it is the best facility in the PFL by far. I'd rate USD #2. I wonder if the game is one of the Northern Iowa games?

Yeah now that you say that it looks like there is some purple on the visitors sideline.

Franks Tanks
November 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM

That looks a lot like Bucknell's Stadium.

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Wow, I was not at the game, but the comments here are a complete crock of you know what.... So Iona got "blown out".... It happens EVERY WEEK in all levels of college football. Team "A" plays great and Team "B" stinks the place up.... Last year, Dayton beat Butler 61-0. This year, Dayton had to go to overtime to win 28-21. But, according to the smart folks here, Iona should just fold up shop and go home because there is no way they are an FCS team. I suppose that Butler should have done the same thing last year? I suppose that Jacksonville should have called it quits after the App State game.... Frankly, Wofford should have immediately folded their program after that "game" with App State....

Wait, I know, maybe the Iona coach was told to lose big to accelerate the demise of the program.... Give me a break....

There's a difference between App and Stoney Brook IMO

joecooll6
November 13th, 2008, 09:14 PM

You have got to be the most unreal poster in the history of internet message boards. No one, to the point that this comment was made, said that Iona should drop football after this game, or because of this game. A couple people suggested it may add fuel to an already burning "drop football" fire at Iona, but no one suggested that they should do it based on this game. You are the king of putting words in people's mouths. Also, so defensive! Why cant you just watch your Flyers and stop worrying about what everyone else thinks!

joecooll6
November 13th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Drake's updated stadium:

Its because theyre playing UNI.

Go...gate
November 13th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Nice ballparks at both Dayton and Drake, but it also looks like they have a little more property to spare. Iona has just enough to get the field, sidelines, and a few stands in. Even less than Duquesne.

Notwithstanding, the size of the stadium does not always reflect on the capability of a team. Andy Kerr Stadium was itself, for many years, a pretty modest football facility, though it improved greatly after 1990 with the new Dunlap Stands and subsequently with nice touches such as a fine pressbox and scoreboard, wrought-iron fencing, and now lights.

Footballer31
November 14th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Drake has a very nice field. Very nice actually. The only thing I would add is a row in pines back by the scoreboard to block the cross wind a little, and to watch the little tikes dash in and out of them looking for the ball on extra-points.

I played on Albany's surface in...ahem... gulp... 1987... was pretty decent then. Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

DetroitFlyer
November 14th, 2008, 01:01 PM
You have got to be the most unreal poster in the history of internet message boards. No one, to the point that this comment was made, said that Iona should drop football after this game, or because of this game. A couple people suggested it may add fuel to an already burning "drop football" fire at Iona, but no one suggested that they should do it based on this game. You are the king of putting words in people's mouths. Also, so defensive! Why cant you just watch your Flyers and stop worrying about what everyone else thinks!

It is a message board dude! I suppose that in the future I should come here and post praise for Northern Iowa....xrolleyesx I gather that you did not take your blood pressure pills today?xlolx

Go...gate
November 14th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Flyer, you need to weigh in on the Bowl thread. I was just looking for you. :)