PDA

View Full Version : Weber St. to the Playoffs! Congrats!

griz37
November 8th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Weber St. is destroying winless Idaho St. This win locks up at least a share of BSC & the automatic berth to the playoffs. Good job Weber, now go ahead & take that EWU game off. :D

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Awesome job Weber State!

Wish we could have won, or shared the Big Sky title, but am glad to see another team make it to the playoffs.

Good luck brothers!!!

griz37
November 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Awesome job Weber State!

Wish we could have won, or shared the Big Sky title, but am glad to see another team make it to the playoffs.

Good luck brothers!!!

If Weber loses to EWU , we can share the title if we win out.

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 05:45 PM
If Weber loses to EWU , we can share the title if we win out.

Agreed, but if they play like they have been, they will beat EWU. Plus, I don't believe in wishing ill will on other teams - not to imply you are my friend.

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2008, 05:52 PM
How many "out west" teams look playoff bound? SoCon teams are getting tired of flying to Montana.

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Off the top of my head.

Weber State, Montana and Cal Poly.

mvemjsunpx
November 8th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Off the top of my head.

And the Southland champion if you consider them "west".

The only other western teams that even have an outside shot are UC Davis & NAU.

dbackjon
November 8th, 2008, 06:04 PM

Probably scratch UC-Davis. They are losing 29-13 to a much improved Sac State

GOKATS
November 8th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Congrats to the Wildcats on a great year!!

griz37
November 8th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Probably scratch UC-Davis. They are losing 29-13 to a much improved Sac State

And NAU is done after the loss to the Cats.

dbackjon
November 8th, 2008, 08:35 PM
And NAU is done after the loss to the Cats.

Yup. Another pathetic season from Sauer

nevadagriz
November 8th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Congrats wildcats!

BDKJMU
November 8th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Off the top of my head.

That means one team east of the Mississippi is flying out west, maybe unless UNI isn't a seed.

slycat
November 8th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Looks like the Southland team will be headed to either Utah or Montana................crap.xrotatehx

Saint3333
November 8th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Yep Cal Poly to Weber &SL winner to Montana.

RabidRabbit
November 8th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Rabbits aren't out of the pic yet. Next week will take the MVFC teams from 3 to 2 as either the Salukis or the Rabbits will take a hit for their playoff hopes.

If Jacks qualify, I would expect to go to MT or UT

grizband
November 8th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Yep Cal Poly to Weber &SL winner to Montana.
First one to 100 wins!! xrotatehx

Poly Pigskin
November 8th, 2008, 10:06 PM
First one to 100 wins!! xrotatehx

Yeah, that game would be out of control. I'd rather get another shot at UM, even though they're playing better now.

Syntax Error
November 8th, 2008, 10:09 PM
The only other western teams that even have an outside shot are UC Davis & NAU.SDSU, SIU, UNI, WIU........ yes, MVFC is "West" in the FCS.

bpcats
November 8th, 2008, 10:10 PM
The way things are going

Appy gets a seed
JMU will get a seed
Cal Poly should get a seed and a home game
Weber should be the fourth seed if there was any justice.

Montana should have a first round home playoff game.

It would be nice if Cal Poly didn't have to play Montana or Weber in the first round of the playoffs.

Syntax Error
November 8th, 2008, 10:12 PM
The way things are going
Appy gets a seed
JMU will get a seed
Weber should be the fourth seed if there was any justice. Replace CP with UNI and I'll agree. No way the MVFC does not get a seed.

mvemjsunpx
November 8th, 2008, 10:20 PM
SDSU, SIU, UNI, WIU........ yes, MVFC is "West" in the FCS.

Yeah, you're probably right.

I was thinking more along the lines of the "regional" divisions that were seemingly used at the beginning of the current playoff format ('01 & '02):

West = Big Sky, Southland
Midwest = Gateway (MVC), Ohio Valley
East = Patriot, A-10 (CAA)
South = MEAC, SoCon

grizbeer
November 8th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Replace CP with UNI and I'll agree. No way the MVFC does not get a seed.
Agreed

Grizalltheway
November 8th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I thought NDSU was already penciled in to the title game? xconfusedx

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Good gravy.

Weber had 666 yards of total offense today.

Coincidence? I think not!

xlolx

grizbeer
November 8th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Congrats WSU too bad about NAU. Am I right that now only Sac State, NAU and ISU should have been in in 2002 or 2004 Jared Allen Days) from the BSC has not made the playoffs this decade? wow, not too bad. And I think PSU in the only BSC team that made it that hasn't won a first round game. Good luck to the team that draws WSU (that's probably you Cal Poly).

I Bleed Purple
November 8th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Good gravy.

xlolx

Yep, our last offensive play was a swing pass that went for minus 9. Obviously done on purpose.

coover
November 8th, 2008, 10:57 PM

And after the Davis and NAU losses today, they have no shot.

Looks like Poly, Weber State, and Montana. I'd guess that Weber State will play Poly. :) Sorry Weber State. xbawlingx

uofmman1122
November 8th, 2008, 11:00 PM
And after the Davis and NAU losses today, they have no shot.

Looks like Poly, Weber State, and Montana. I'd guess that Weber State will play Poly. :) Sorry Weber State. xbawlingxI still think the committee wants another UM - Cal Poly first round. It's not fair to either team, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

Poly Pigskin
November 8th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Congrats WSU too bad about NAU. Am I right that now only Sac State, NAU and ISU should have been in in 2002 or 2004 Jared Allen Days) from the BSC has not made the playoffs this decade? wow, not too bad. And I think PSU in the only BSC team that made it that hasn't won a first round game. Good luck to the team that draws WSU (that's probably you Cal Poly).

I'd be wishing Weber luck in that case. xwhistlex

grizbeer
November 8th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I'd be wishing Weber luck in that case. xwhistlex
I am

Native
November 8th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Replace CP with UNI and I'll agree. No way the MVFC does not get a seed.xnonox

Yes, way! xcoolx

UNI is not an obvious choice for a seed. Northern Iowa is a good team having a great season, but in one of this year's weaker conferences. Even the GPI rates UNI at only 8th, behind JMU, Appy, Villanova, Richmond, Montana, Weber, and Cal Poly. Massey rates UNI's performance 15th among FCS teams and Northern Iowa's schedule as 29th, behind JMU, Appy, Weber, Montana, Cal Poly, etc. UNI is the only MVFC team in the top 30 in strength of schedule. xeyebrowx

Things could change, but I think UNI - at best - is on the bubble for a seed... unless auto-bid conferences are guaranteed the seed despite performance or you are voting member of the committee, Synatx! xlolx

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 11:10 PM
It's a crime if they put Weber, Poly, and Montana all in the same bracket. The Eastern schools need a taste of either Weber State or Cal Poly. xnodx

Poly Pigskin
November 8th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I still think the committee wants another UM - Cal Poly first round. It's not fair to either team, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

I would be more surprised by that than Weber vs Poly. Neither matchup is fair since all three will surely be in the top 8 teams in the playoffs (assuming we beat UCD next week), but that's regionalization for you.

grizbeer
November 8th, 2008, 11:12 PM
xnonox

Yes, way! xcoolx

UNI is not an obvious choice for a seed. Northern Iowa is a good team having a great season, but in one of this year's weaker conferences. Even the GPI rates UNI at only 8th, behind JMU, Appy, Villanova, Richmond, Montana, Weber, and Cal Poly. Massey rates UNI's performance 15th among FCS teams and Northern Iowa's schedule as 29th, behind JMU, Appy, Weber, Montana, Cal Poly, etc. UNI is the only MVFC team in the top 30 in strength of schedule. xeyebrowx

Things could change, but I think UNI - at best - is on the bubble for a seed... unless auto-bid conferences are guaranteed the seed despite performance or you are voting member of the committee, Synatx! xlolx
I think if WSU beats EWU they would be a shoe-in for the seed except for the non-conference - you should have played a least a couple of FCS non-conference games. the committee can't judge a team only on BSC play, so Syntax Error is right, no seed for the BSC.

grizbeer
November 8th, 2008, 11:13 PM
It's a crime if they put Weber, Poly, and Montana all in the same bracket. The Eastern schools need a taste of either Weber State or Cal Poly. xnodx
2 of those 3 will be in the same bracket - now way around regionalization.

Poly Pigskin
November 8th, 2008, 11:15 PM

Absolutely! xnodx

If we're on the road first round (likely) I'd love a shot at an eastern school who thinks their ***** doesn't stink. I think Poly or Weber would give a SoCon or CAA team a heck of a lot more than they were hoping for.

Poly Pigskin
November 8th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I think if WSU beats EWU they would be a shoe-in for the seed except for the non-conference - you should have played a least a couple of FCS non-conference games. the committee can't judge a team only on BSC play, so Syntax Error is right, no seed for the BSC.

If Montana goes 11-1, you don't think they get a seed?

Grizaholic17
November 8th, 2008, 11:17 PM
If Montana goes 11-1, you don't think they get a seed?

They will definitely get a seed. If we go 10-2 we could maybe even host 2 home games. Those men at work love to see those big crowds! All the better for us.

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 11:19 PM

Not so fast.

Weber State if they win out 10-2 only 8 D-I wins.
Montana if they win out 11-1 with 10 D-I wins.

Could be real tough for the committee to wrestle with Weber's 6000 fan average. And don't tell me the NCAA doesn't pressure the committee.

I'd be surprised if the West got no seed. There would be some strong protest from the Big Sky if we had 11-1 and 10-2 teams and got snubbed.

uofmman1122
November 8th, 2008, 11:19 PM
They will definitely get a seed. If we go 10-2 we could maybe even host 2 home games. Those men at work love to see those big crowds! All the better for us.A seed would have to lose if we wanted to host 2 playoff games without being a seed.

However, I agree with what's been said. If Montana and Weber win out, I would be surprised if UNI got a seed over both of them. People just might have to get used to the fact that there are two stellar Big Sky teams this year. xeekx

Grizaholic17
November 8th, 2008, 11:25 PM
A seed would have to lose if we wanted to host 2 playoff games without being a seed.

However, I agree with what's been said. If Montana and Weber win out, I would be surprised if UNI got a seed over both of them. People just might have to get used to the fact that there are two stellar Big Sky teams this year. xeekx

Mmhmm. This I know. Which is very possible. I hope Weber doesn't have to travel great distances the first game...if at all. xnonono2x

grizbeer
November 8th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Not so fast.

Weber State if they win out 10-2 only 8 D-I wins.
Montana if they win out 11-1 with 10 D-I wins.

Could be real tough for the committee to wrestle with Weber's 6000 fan average. And don't tell me the NCAA doesn't pressure the committee.

I'd be surprised if the West got no seed. There would be some strong protest from the Big Sky if we had 11-1 and 10-2 teams and got snubbed.

If Montana goes 11-1, you don't think they get a seed?]

It's just me, but no - I think they will try to set it up so Montana will get a chance to host without winning a seed, but I think Cal Poly deserves a seed this year, and I think the MoCO Champ deserves a seed, plus 2 from the east. But it doesn't mean I am worried, maybe this is the year Montana wins a playoff game on the road.

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Remember guys all this seeding talk is speculative. We still need to beat ISU and MSU. Weber State still needs to beat EWU.

Then we can talk about seeding seriously.xnodx

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 11:36 PM
If Montana goes 11-1, you don't think they get a seed?]

It's just me, but no - I think they will try to set it up so Montana will get a chance to host without winning a seed, but I think Cal Poly deserves a seed this year, and I think the MoCO Champ deserves a seed, plus 2 from the east. But it doesn't mean I am worried, maybe this is the year Montana wins a playoff game on the road.

Problem Poly will have is if they don't win their last game they'll go 8-2 with 8 D-I wins. Could be hard to get a seed. If they beat Wisconsin look out FCS, Poly could go all the way. They might even if they do lose at Wisconsin and don't get a seed.

Poly Pigskin
November 8th, 2008, 11:43 PM

Problem Poly will have is if they don't win their last game they'll go 8-2 with 8 D-I wins. Could be hard to get a seed. If they beat Wisconsin look out FCS, Poly could go all the way. They might even if they do lose at Wisconsin and don't get a seed.

Montana will host a 1st round game, seed or not, there is no one that will out-bid them. I think Weber, UNI, JMU, and ASU deserve seeds assuming all win out. The only way Cal Poly gets a seed is if we win out, which obviously isn't very likely. If we so somehow beat Wisconsin, I don't see how we wouldn't get one of the top 2 seeds though. Otherwise we only have 7 DI wins (USD doesn't count), and we're on the road first round.

GRZZ
November 9th, 2008, 01:02 AM
The way things are going

Appy gets a seed
JMU will get a seed
Weber should be the fourth seed if there was any justice.

Montana should have a first round home playoff game.

It would be nice if Cal Poly didn't have to play Montana or Weber in the first round of the playoffs.

If justice is Weber getting the seed over the Griz then shouldn't justice also be the Griz getting the seed over Cal Poly? A one loss Griz team that beat them? Just asking, not stating.

uofmman1122
November 9th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I keep seeing people say UNI (or SIU, for that matter) deserves a seed.

Why? xconfusedx

(I'm not asking this as a homer or because I think UM deserves it more, I just must be missing something about them)

Cat79
November 9th, 2008, 09:16 AM
UCA has best record in SLC with 4-1 but they do not qualify due to transition period from DII to FCS

Three way tie for second with McNeese State, Texas State and Northwestern State. (Texas State has win over McNeese, Northwestern State has win over Texas State. The team that has not been to the playoffs represents if tied (McNeese-2007, Texas State-2005 )-Northwestern State would be the team if they win out)

Games this week
McNeese and Northwestern State-rivalry game
Nicholls State at Texas State-rivalry game

Following week
Texas State at Sam Houston-Rivalry game
McNeese State at Central Arkansas-Central's only loss in 2007 was to McNeese
Northwestern State at SFA-Rivalry game

Wolfman
November 9th, 2008, 12:31 PM
This talk about Cal Poly beating Wisconsin makes me laugh. Poly will lose by 17 or more to the Badgers.

nevadagriz
November 9th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Jeezuz Krist wolfie you just guaranteed Poly a 21 point victory!xrolleyesx
Well there is your fourth seed, Poly!

yosef1969
November 9th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Good gravy.

xlolx

ASU had 655 total yds yesterday and lost 11 yards in the victory formation. Coincidence? Probably not. JM knows better!