PDA

View Full Version : Montana @ Portland State

JALMOND
November 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Getting ready to head downtown for pre game festivities...

The Montana Grizzlies head into Portland to face the Portland State Vikings in what hopes to be an interesting matchup in Big Sky conference play. The Grizzlies only loss all year was at Weber State and since then, has been on a roll, with the offense scoring and the defense shutting down the opponents. The Vikings have been up and down all year, but find themselves at an undefeated 3-0 in Portland. Howland is penciled in at the quarterback, although the radio said Hubel is starting for the Vikings. Weather in Portland is on agan, off again rain showers and a high of 60, so it might be wet, but not too cold. Griz seem to struggle at times in Portland, but they seem to find a way to be on top at the end of the game. Should be a good one.

Vikings audio:

www.am910ktro.com

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Jace Palmer with the sack!

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 03:08 PM
The radio announcers said it looks like there's more Griz fans than PSU fans at the game.

Fumbled snap ends with a 15+ yard loss!

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Griz convert on 4th and 1 after an impressive play by Reynolds.

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 03:14 PM
J.D. Quinn blows his block, nice sack by PSU. 3rd and 19.

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 03:15 PM
36 yard FG McKnight good.

3-0 Griz.

Shellin
November 8th, 2008, 03:32 PM
pretty 20 yard scramble for Bergquist, 9-2 Montana after PSU blocks the xp and returns it all the way.

Silenoz
November 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Hah

I don't know what was worse on that play: our PAT team, or the broadcast team

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Griz drive 27 yards, Bergquist scrambles 20 yards for the TD. Extra point blocked and returned for two. 9-2 Griz.

Edit: That was a poor call on the extra point. The ball had stopped moving before he picked it up.

Peems
November 8th, 2008, 03:35 PM
The Griz are going to equal their season total of sacks in the first half!

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Hah

I don't know what was worse on that play: our PAT team, or the broadcast team

No kidding. You could just hear the disdain ooze from that guy who was upset Bobby H was disputing the call.

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 03:43 PM
GOOD LORD #89 IS TINY.

Boy PSU dodged a bullet there with that early whistle.

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Holy Crap!

Wyoming beat UT?!

Silenoz
November 8th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Hmmmmmm

Clipping on Ferriter? And he's not even on that side of the field?

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Hmmmmmm

Clipping on Ferriter? And he's not even on that side of the field?

That was frustrating. Great play by Reynolds. He's got some incredible speed.

Peems
November 8th, 2008, 03:54 PM
9-5 on a Baseball Field, go figure!

Silenoz
November 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
And the refs blow another call. Great!

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Awesome Burn by the one announcer on the other.

Guy says he thought the ball broke the plane of the endzone, and the other guys says, "Well, you do have the angle, being 120 yards away from the play."

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 03:56 PM
What a BS call. Both line judges were right in front of the play and then the head referee halfway down the field calls it forward.

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Who's watching this on TV? The internet feed is about 5 minutes ahead, and I don't want to ruin anything.

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Oh that was a great pick by Johnson. True freshman and he's our best CB

Silenoz
November 8th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Ugh

9-5 is not what I was looking for at this point

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Oh that was a great pick by Johnson. True freshman and he's our best CB

I like the fact he is 6'3" (?). Hard for some CB's to cover tall 6'5" WR's when they are 5'9".

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Ugh

9-5 is not what I was looking for at this point

I don't think I'm worried yet. We have a habit of coming out very strong after half.

Grizalltheway
November 8th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Touchdown Chase Reynolds. 16-5 Montana.

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Jesus we're being ripped apart by these officials.

Silenoz
November 8th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Absolutely terrible officiating. And I'm not one to complain usually

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Absolutely terrible officiating. And I'm not one to complain usually

Likewise. That wasn't even that close.

grizband
November 8th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Likewise. That wasn't even that close.
I don't have the game on television, what happened?

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Fake field goal for a first down!!!

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Ferriter made a long reception all the way down to inside the 20, referee called him out.

OleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Ferriter made a spectacular catch on the sideline, clearly with his knee in bounds, but the initial call of complete was overruled. Hauck apparently then got a 15 penalty for informing the officials of their competence.

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Reynolds takes it to the house on 4th and 5!!! 23-12 Griz with :31 in the 3rd.

grizband
November 8th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Reynolds takes it to the house on 4th and 5!!! 23-12 Griz with :31 in the 3rd.
I love to see Reynolds stepping up!! How did PSU score their TD?

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I love to see Reynolds stepping up!! How did PSU score their TD?

Long pass over the top.

This game has been all out, hard hitting cage match.

grizband
November 8th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Long pass over the top.

This game has been all out, hard hitting cage match.
Games between Montana and PSU usually are battles! Wish I got this game here in Missoula, but DirectTV doesn't offer me local channels.

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Pounding the ball with the run has made for a boring game, but it looks as if it is starting to payoff. PSU's D is getting tired.

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Games between Montana and PSU usually are battles! Wish I got this game here in Missoula, but DirectTV doesn't offer me local channels.

BigSkyTV is working alright...if you can stomach the PSU homers doing the announcing.

Silenoz
November 8th, 2008, 05:28 PM
4th and 47... lmao

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 05:29 PM
4th and 47... lmao

What a wreck of a drive.

grizband
November 8th, 2008, 05:32 PM
4th and 47... lmao

What a wreck of a drive.
xeekx You hate to see that...

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Brandon Fisher interception to Griz's own 10!

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Griz's domination of TOP is beginning to show, PSU's defense is looking tired.

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Three Griz defenders just collectively made an interception

Silenoz
November 8th, 2008, 05:44 PM
PAT team made sure to get on the ball this time :)

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Reynolds 20 yd TD!! This kid is a monster! PAT blocked againxnonox Griz up 29-12

grizband
November 8th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Reynolds 20 yd TD!! This kid is a monster! PAT blocked againxnonox Griz up 29-12
How much time is left?

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 05:54 PM

Ummm. If he were an App player, they would call him a BEAST!!! :D

gbhmt
November 8th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Ummm. If he were an App player, they would call him a BEAST!!! :D

My thoughts exactly.

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 06:02 PM
My thoughts exactly.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51403

mlbowl
November 8th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Those officials were absolutely RIDICULOUS!

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Those officials were absolutely RIDICULOUS!

Agreed. I think Bobby getting the unsportsman penalty shows how pissed he was.

Peems
November 8th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Great win Griz, win next week at home and we're in!!!!

JALMOND
November 9th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Two plays that broke us, both same drive and both in the third when it seem the Vikings has the Griz stopped.

1. The fake FG and the Griz kicker runs it 13 yards for a first down on a 4th and 11.

2. The touchdown run a little bit later on a 4th and 6.

Still, I have to give credit to the Viking defense, still improving and like the posters said, just ran out of gas in the 4th. That speedy little running back for the Griz is quite a horse. You have him stopped and he still churns out 5 yards from nothing. Too bad we lost, but a great game all around and congrats to the Griz on the win.

Weather held up, too. Partly cloudy most of the game and temp about 58. Couldn't ask for any better in November. Great conditions to enjoy a football game.

Grizaholic17
November 9th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Two plays that broke us, both same drive and both in the third when it seem the Vikings has the Griz stopped.

1. The fake FG and the Griz kicker runs it 13 yards for a first down on a 4th and 11.

Still, I have to give credit to the Viking defense, still improving and like the posters said, just ran out of gas in the 4th. That speedy little running back for the Griz is quite a horse. You have him stopped and he still churns out 5 yards from nothing. Too bad we lost, but a great game all around and congrats to the Griz on the win.

Weather held up, too. Partly cloudy most of the game and temp about 58. Couldn't ask for any better in November. Great conditions to enjoy a football game.

I think Chase Reynolds and his background makes this such a great story. Who would have thunk that he was playing football at Drummond not too long ago? wow

gbhmt
November 9th, 2008, 01:16 PM

One thing that they said in the paper this morning is that the Vikes stopped the central part of our defense: big plays. We didn't break out a single big play in the entire game. It was well done and for a while was very frustrating.

JALMOND
November 9th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I think Chase Reynolds and his background makes this such a great story. Who would have thunk that he was playing football at Drummond not too long ago? wow

Drummond? I know Drummond. That's my last gas stop when I'm driving to Helena or Billings. :D xnodx

Peems
November 9th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Drummond? I know Drummond. That's my last gas stop when I'm driving to Helena or Billings. :D xnodx

Drummond Trojans!!!!

gbhmt
November 9th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Drummond Trojans!!!!

In that vein, the most fitting nickname for Reynolds would be the Trojan Horse.

griz&beer
November 9th, 2008, 02:36 PM
CR played 8 man football. He scored a lot of TDs, and now he will score a lot for the griz.

GolfingGriz
November 9th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I think its interesting how all of our touchdowns have been scored by Reynolds, Mariani, and Ferriter. Those three have combined for 34 in ten games. Thats production from your stars.

mtgrizfan4life
November 9th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Speaking of Chase Reynolds, I watched a few times a year when he was in HS. One of my buddies coached against him. He was a nightmare to gameplan against. As a sophomore my friend told me it would be a shame if he got lost in the shuffle due to playing 8 man football. Before seeing him play in person, I told him chances are he is a Frontier (small college) back anyway. He told me go watch him and I would be pleasantly surprised. So anyway that was the 1st year of 3 years of watching Chase play a few times a year.

As a sophomore I noticed 2 things that stood out that cannot be coached. Chase has field vision and senses that are impossible to coach at any level. I told my buddy, if Chase got to 180 lbs and learned to run straight ahead with high knees he would be complete back. Granted Chase was a great straight ahead runner then too, but avoided it like most young players. He preferred to cutback, which was something he had time to do at that level. We discussed Chase many times. We knew he would play college ball somewhere. I personally wanted him to not get much bigger for selfish reasons. His skill was that of mid major level back, such as the WAC or MWC. Getting bigger would have increased the competition for his services. Fortunately for GRIZNATION everything worked out for the GRIZ.

Fortunately for the GRIZ, Reynolds has gotten bigger without losing anything. He has also learned to react instead of thinking. He too now gets his knees high and not afraid of contact. Yet he still uses his shiftiness and sight to create longer runs than most backs. What Chase Reynolds has is God given ability that he is learning to use and believe in.

Most of GRIZNATION have been sold in this kid thanks to the last 3 weeks. For those around the nation not familiar with him, go to GRIZCENTRAL.com, click on GRIZ REWIND or Condensed highlights tab(s). (Look for number 34) You too will see his vision, cutback ability, high knees, and even more strength than imagined. His running over PSU's 215 LB safety enroute to the endzone brought back visions of LEX. Yet his footwork is that of Yohancey, with more speed than either though.

If he stays healthy and hopefully gets to 200 lbs this kid will be in the arguement of who are the top 3 GRIZ backs in history, and another ALL AMERICAN.

GolfingGriz
November 9th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Whoa, lets hit the brakes a little bit. TBF had 4 great games as a redshirt freshman and everyone thought the world of him too. I'm not saying that Reynolds isnt going to be great because I think he will be. I'm just saying give him more time to grow in those big shoes you have laid out for him. Yo and Lex had many more than just three great games. Great start for Chase, but still a long, long way to go before he is even mentioned in the same sentence as Lex or Yo.

gbhmt
November 9th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Whoa, lets hit the brakes a little bit. TBF had 4 great games as a redshirt freshman and everyone thought the world of him too. I'm not saying that Reynolds isnt going to be great because I think he will be. I'm just saying give him more time to grow in those big shoes you have laid out for him. Yo and Lex had many more than just three great games. Great start for Chase, but still a long, long way to go before he is even mentioned in the same sentence as Lex or Yo.

TBF continued to play incredibly until he was injured.

mtgrizfan4life
November 9th, 2008, 04:57 PM
TBF continued to play incredibly until he was injured.

I was about to post the same. Thanks to TBF getting injured he will never be that good again. If Chase stays healthy, he will be mentioned with YO and LEX. He is a complete back. Also from knowing Chase, I have no doubts he is very motivated to prove his critics WRONG!

JALMOND
November 9th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Speaking of Chase Reynolds, I watched a few times a year when he was in HS. One of my buddies coached against him. He was a nightmare to gameplan against. As a sophomore my friend told me it would be a shame if he got lost in the shuffle due to playing 8 man football. Before seeing him play in person, I told him chances are he is a Frontier (small college) back anyway. He told me go watch him and I would be pleasantly surprised. So anyway that was the 1st year of 3 years of watching Chase play a few times a year.

As a sophomore I noticed 2 things that stood out that cannot be coached. Chase has field vision and senses that are impossible to coach at any level. I told my buddy, if Chase got to 180 lbs and learned to run straight ahead with high knees he would be complete back. Granted Chase was a great straight ahead runner then too, but avoided it like most young players. He preferred to cutback, which was something he had time to do at that level. We discussed Chase many times. We knew he would play college ball somewhere. I personally wanted him to not get much bigger for selfish reasons. His skill was that of mid major level back, such as the WAC or MWC. Getting bigger would have increased the competition for his services. Fortunately for GRIZNATION everything worked out for the GRIZ.

Fortunately for the GRIZ, Reynolds has gotten bigger without losing anything. He has also learned to react instead of thinking. He too now gets his knees high and not afraid of contact. Yet he still uses his shiftiness and sight to create longer runs than most backs. What Chase Reynolds has is God given ability that he is learning to use and believe in.

Most of GRIZNATION have been sold in this kid thanks to the last 3 weeks. For those around the nation not familiar with him, go to GRIZCENTRAL.com, click on GRIZ REWIND or Condensed highlights tab(s). (Look for number 34) You too will see his vision, cutback ability, high knees, and even more strength than imagined. His running over PSU's 215 LB safety enroute to the endzone brought back visions of LEX. Yet his footwork is that of Yohancey, with more speed than either though.

If he stays healthy and hopefully gets to 200 lbs this kid will be in the arguement of who are the top 3 GRIZ backs in history, and another ALL AMERICAN.

Well, this was the first time I've seen him and I was truly impressed. We seemed to hit him just as he was getting the ball, and when the dust settled, he had somehow gained five yards. He is very difficult to bring down for such a small fellow. He's a little bit bigger than that Rodgers kid at Oregon State, but pretty close to the same thing playing-wise, my opinion.

Green26
November 9th, 2008, 06:06 PM
What about Bergquist? He has 5 TD's.

Ronbo
November 9th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Go to the 2006 season highlights and look at the games TBF played in and you'll see that he never had near the speed that Reynolds has. TBF always gets caught from behind.

mtgrizfan4life
November 9th, 2008, 07:17 PM
WOW after rewatching the games on GRIZ rewind, I realized Chase has great balance and squares his shoulders well too. He is so much more than a small elusive back. You can count me in thinking that Chase is a keeper.

gbhmt
November 9th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Go to the 2006 season highlights and look at the games TBF played in and you'll see that he never had near the speed that Reynolds has. TBF always gets caught from behind.

Another thing about TBF for me is I never got excited for him because I was too excited to get Lex back the next year.

Ronbo
November 9th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I'm loving the combo of Reynolds and Schmidt. When they want to spell Reynolds they bring in Andrew Schmidt 6'1" 210 lbs. He's more of a Lex Hillard type that powers through defenders. Good speed too when he reaches open field.

Chase Reynolds 10 gms 127 car. 727 yds 5.7 avg 12 TD's 67 long 72.7 APG
Andrew Schmidt 8 gms 79 car. 344 yds 4.4 avg 2 TD's 19 long 43.0 APG