PDA

View Full Version : CN8 folds in New England

Umass74
November 7th, 2008, 11:54 AM
CN8 has announced it will fold its New England operations (http://shots.bostonsportsmedia.com/2008/11/cn8-to-cease-operations/).

Four UMass games are on CN8 this year. It looks as if there will be less CAA games on TV next year.

Ivytalk
November 7th, 2008, 12:12 PM
They're folding in Philly, too. It was on WIP yesterday.

LacesOut
November 7th, 2008, 12:19 PM
They're folding in Philly, too. It was on WIP yesterday.

Folding or restructuring?? I ask because I heard some restructuring (whatever that means) was going to be happening with some of their programming.

89Hen
November 7th, 2008, 12:19 PM
xoopsx If CN8 goes under, FIOS here I come. It was honestly the only thing keeping me with Comcast. 3-5 Hen games per year on CN8.

danefan
November 7th, 2008, 12:21 PM
xoopsx If CN8 goes under, FIOS here I come. It was honestly the only thing keeping me with Comcast. 3-5 Hen games per year on CN8.

That's exactly why I held out with Cablevision (who carried CN8). Finally gave it up this year. It wasn't worth it for one channel.

Switched to FIOS and its 1000000% better. I love it. HD picture is actually better. I didn't think it would make a differnce, but its a huge picture difference on the FIOS system.

Ivytalk
November 7th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Folding or restructuring?? I ask because I heard some restructuring (whatever that means) was going to be happening with some of their programming.

Rhea Hughes, who is directly affected, said they were done. 100+ jobs lost.

JMU2004
November 7th, 2008, 12:23 PM
comcast has a 4 yr deal with the CAA, so the CAA games will CONTINUE to be broadcast on whatever cn8 becomes.

UNHWildCats
November 7th, 2008, 01:00 PM
comcast has a 4 yr deal with the CAA, so the CAA games will CONTINUE to be broadcast on whatever cn8 becomes.
and if theres nothing at all left to broadcast them? Im thinking the CAA is SOL.

JMU2004
November 7th, 2008, 01:11 PM
and if theres nothing at all left to broadcast them? Im thinking the CAA is SOL.

Well, Comcast isn't going under, so I'm assuming they'll find a channel to broadcast us on.

mcveyrl
November 7th, 2008, 01:14 PM
We have a Comcast Sports South type of channel down here. I wonder if they'll pick up more southern games (a lot of times they just pick up the CN8 feed on games).

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 7th, 2008, 01:23 PM
We have a Comcast Sports South type of channel down here. I wonder if they'll pick up more southern games (a lot of times they just pick up the CN8 feed on games).

Is that the channel that had the Richmond/JMU game on it? I really liked the announcer much better on that network. "The Richmond staff with have to LIVE with that decision!" regarding the punt to McGee. He almost sounded like a professional wrestling announcer.

mcveyrl
November 7th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Is that the channel that had the Richmond/JMU game on it? I really liked the announcer much better on that network. "The Richmond staff with have to LIVE with that decision!" regarding the punt to McGee. He almost sounded like a professional wrestling announcer.

Yea, that was Bob Picaose (sp?). He does the SportsCenter updates on ESPN Radio, too.

UR/JMU wasn't a CN8 broadcast, but a Comcast broadcast (I guess there's a difference). I think that is the same channel I was talking about.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 7th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Yea, that was Bob Picaose (sp?). He does the SportsCenter updates on ESPN Radio, too.

UR/JMU wasn't a CN8 broadcast, but a Comcast broadcast (I guess there's a difference). I think that is the same channel I was talking about.

Well I hope that network picks up the games ... and keeps the announcers. Scott Graham needs to be calling Badminton or Tennis. If I hear him say another 'That is a reminder how violent this sport is'-type statement, I'm throwing my remote through the television.

EmeryZach
November 7th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I think I'm going to switch to Fios now too. I hate cablevision.

mcveyrl
November 7th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Well I hope that network picks up the games ... and keeps the announcers. Scott Graham needs to be calling Badminton or Tennis. If I hear him say another 'That is a reminder how violent this sport is'-type statement, I'm throwing my remote through the television.

It would be nice. Sometimes if they don't pick up the CN8 CAA games, we get (down here at least) Sun Belt games. Woo-hoo!!!

danefan
November 7th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I think I'm going to switch to Fios now too. I hate cablevision.

Its 10000% better.
And it comes with a free battery backup (8 hours runs internet and phone).

Cablevision makes you buy a battery backup.

Don't waste your time on the multi-room DVR though. You can only watch recorded shows in HD on the main TV. the multi-room DVR doesn't have the capability to stream HD shows to your other TVs. It can stream regular recorded shows, just not HD.

ChickenMan
November 7th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Looks like CN8 will continue to operate in an altered form with a new name in the Philly.. Balt/DC markets...

The network will retain its channel position in the cable lineup, but switch to a digital format in early 2009. CN8 will go dark in Boston, where Comcast has a partial ownership interest in New England Cable News. Comcast Corp. officials told CN8 employees today that they would radically restructure the cable network that has struggled with terrible ratings and a bad local advertising market.

Spokesman Tim Fitzpatrick said Comcast was considering future programming plans for the Comcast Network. The network, previously part of the company's huge eastern cable division, will report to Comcast SportsNet.

"This restructuring will strengthen the network's focus on providing credible, informative and relevant local public affairs and sports content of interest to viewers in the Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh and Washington/Baltimore regions while continuing to feature some of CN8's signature personalities," Fitzpatrick said in a statement.

"We will discontinue operations in markets where Comcast has other locally focused programming, or where CN8 has had a minimal presence," he said.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/homepage/33916819.html

EmeryZach
November 7th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Its 10000% better.
And it comes with a free battery backup (8 hours runs internet and phone).

Cablevision makes you buy a battery backup.

Don't waste your time on the multi-room DVR though. You can only watch recorded shows in HD on the main TV. the multi-room DVR doesn't have the capability to stream HD shows to your other TVs. It can stream regular recorded shows, just not HD.

Good info xthumbsupx . Thanks!

ur2k
November 7th, 2008, 02:55 PM

I think that game was on Comcast Sports Network mid-atlantic or something like that. They also had the W&M and Towson game last week on in HD.

It's been a pain in the @ss to find CN8 anywhere in Richmond if you don't have comcast (like me with FIOS) and about 99% of sports bars have direct TV so they don't have it either.

Umass74
November 7th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Spokesman Tim Fitzpatrick said Comcast was considering future programming plans for the Comcast Network. The network, previously part of the company's huge eastern cable division, will report to Comcast SportsNet.

"This restructuring will strengthen the network's focus on providing credible, informative and relevant local public affairs and sports content of interest to viewers in the Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh and Washington/Baltimore regions while continuing to feature some of CN8's signature personalities," Fitzpatrick said in a statement.

"We will discontinue operations in markets where Comcast has other locally focused programming, or where CN8 has had a minimal presence," he said.

But CN8 was the orginator of the content right? That means Comcast (in whatever form or channel) will have less CAA games to broadcast. With CN8 out of New England, the CAA North teams will get less games unless Comcast can find someone to produce the games. But who?

Jackman
November 7th, 2008, 03:41 PM
They can just breach the contract. They weren't paying us much, so there's not much we can claim in damages. Or they could keep paying us the minimal amount but not broadcast any games, like CSTV did to Atlantic-10 basketball. It depends on how the contract was written.

WildcatFan
November 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Same here - if I cannot get CAA games then I'm out.

93henfan
November 7th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Anyone know if FIOS has Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia in the Philly market? That's the one bad thing about having DirecTV. No CSN-P.

dennisdent
November 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Anyone know if FIOS has Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia in the Philly market? That's the one bad thing about having DirecTV. No CSN-P.

No--just went through all my prime sports package channels and its not there. I have just about every sports channel but CSN Philly. I live in the NoVA area so I have MASN--in the Philly area you might get it...xconfusedx

Retro
November 7th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Guys, Dump that cable crap and get Directv and get the sports pack which includes all the comcast sports nets and much more... It's well worth the money, especially during football season and almost all are in HD already.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2008, 07:21 PM

It does have CSN-P... however, then you're stuck not getting the CN8-flavored games (except over the internet). Also worthy of mention is the fact that since Flyers/Sixers games take over the network often, the number of FCS games actually dwindles even more significantly.

LeopardFan04
November 7th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Guys, Dump that cable crap and get Directv and get the sports pack which includes all the comcast sports nets and much more... It's well worth the money, especially during football season and almost all are in HD already.

Wish that was a better option here. But as others have stated CSN-Philly isn't available through a dish, so you have to go Comcast/Fios to get Phillies/Sixers/Flyers games. :(