PDA

View Full Version : Gene Wojciechowski hits the nail on the head about FCS playoffs/BCS

Appguy
November 7th, 2008, 10:25 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3686532&sportCat=ncf

great article talking about why our playoff works and the bcs doesn't

SideLine Shooter
November 7th, 2008, 10:32 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3686532&sportCat=ncf

EXCELLENT!!!!!xnodx xthumbsupx

Appguy
November 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I emailed him thanking him. Great to see a big time sports writer seeing our way!

danefan
November 7th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Great article. Maybe E$PN is coming around?

We already have one. It's in the Football Championship Subdivision, previously known as Division I-AA. Appalachian State has won the past three championships.

Appy State played 11 regular-season games and four playoff games in each of the past three years. That's 15 games, two more than Paterno's team will play this season, one more than if Penn State played in a seeded, plus-one, bowl format (a championship game after the four BCS bowls) and the same amount if the Nittany Lions reached the finals of an eight-team, three-game playoff.

So the next time you hear university presidents say a major college football playoff would require too many games, remind them of the FCS format. Here's guessing they'll come up with another lame excuse.

Sigh. So I'm left to root for six unbeaten teams, chaos, stammering explanations from BCS officials and public outrage.

And I'll root for one other thing. Selection Sunday for the FCS playoffs is Nov. 23. The first quarterfinal game is Nov. 29.

Go, Appy State!

uofmman1122
November 7th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I loved it until the very, very end. xnonono2x

xlolx:p

neersnbeers
November 7th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I loved it until the very, very end. xnonono2x

xlolx:p

??? That was the best part. Icing on the cake if you will!!

GSUhooligan
November 7th, 2008, 11:27 AM
He called ya'll Appy. It was great.

DSUrocks07
November 7th, 2008, 11:31 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

APPStrongNC
November 7th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Nice article. A playoff is the ONLY way to get a true champ.

LacesOut
November 7th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I think I've read the same article the past 4-5 years on ESPN.com and/or other media outlets. Writers crying about a non playoff or no post season in I-A. LOL

I can't find a single decent thing to say about the BCS. But I know that I do love the bowl games, so I hope they never leave college footballs landscape.

andy7171
November 7th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Great, great article.

bluehenbillk
November 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
For people that are supposed to be brilliant. I've never understood the thinking of University presidents that oppose a playoff, it'd be the biggest financial windfall you've ever seen. It would make more $$ for schools than the NFL makes off the Super Bowl.

grizbeer
November 7th, 2008, 12:11 PM
University of Washington President wants a playoff system too, thinks it is inevitable.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2008362178_withers070.html

And there is no reason that you can't have a playoff, then also a bowl system that just excludes the 2 teams in the NC game, or 4 teams in the semi-finals. It's just that the bowl games won't count towards rankings or National Championships, they will go back to being about grudge matches, like they used to be.

AppAlum2003
November 7th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I read Gene's book a few years ago when he followed the Cubs around for an entire season. As a lifelong Cubs fan, it was great read! I'm glad he cheers for my favorite football team, too.

ur2k
November 7th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I don't understand the argument that a playoff waters down the regular season - Richmond's season for the last few weeks and until the end will be one must win after another ... trying to make the playoffs.

jaxstatealum
November 7th, 2008, 12:41 PM

xlolx xlolx

Retro
November 7th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Great article and it is about Money that's it!..

The conference presidents and A.D.'s don't want to lose the windfall of money despite the fact that with a 16 team playoff incorporated with current bowls, more advertisers would step up for each round.xthumbsupx

already123
November 7th, 2008, 12:47 PM
great atricle.

ValleyChamp
November 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I think the FCS needs to implement the BCS systemxcoolx ......JK

appfan2008
November 7th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Great article... loved his points... if he just dropped the y on app it would have been the best ever

EmeryZach
November 7th, 2008, 01:44 PM
"Go Appy State!" - Come on Gene, we got change in the White House, now we need some change in the FCS.

Loved the article though. Good read.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 7th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Unless Obama signs an executive order outlawing the BCS or creates a cabinet-level position to address the situation (Secretary of the Postseason? … I'm available)

xlolx xlolx

Seven Would Be Nice
November 7th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Can any of you guys with enough time on your hands pull the stats for how often the number 1 or 2 seeded team won the FCS playoffs?

What about the stats for March Madness?

Only giving the top two ranked teams a chance to win the title is a crime. This year would be AWESOME to watch IA in a playoff system. I would love to see how UF matches up against Texas Tech or PSU. Those would be awesome games!

The TV networks are idiots to not think they would generate more popularity than bowl games that don't count for anything. Seriously, what are the the TV ratings for those games? Attendance is even worse.

The solution is still the hybrid system. Give the top 16 teams a playoff bracket, and everyone else can play bowl games on Tuesday nights on ESPN the Ocho.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 7th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Great article... loved his points... if he just dropped the y on app it would have been the best ever

Had he said "I'll be watching the FCS Playoffs because Appy State is HOT HOT HOT" would have made it the best article ever!

:D :D :D :D :D xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

CrackerRiley
November 7th, 2008, 02:34 PM
How many times has ASU been ranked 1 or 2 going into the playoffs? I think '06 was the only year. They certainly weren't last year and in '05 I think they were 4th at the end of the season.
I just don't see how anyone would support a bunch of people voting for teams to play for a NC and the computers just know the teams on paper.
Give me $1 million, I might change my mind...

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 7th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Pardon my internet colloquialism, but

PWNED

xlolx xthumbsupx

patssle
November 7th, 2008, 02:39 PM
APPY

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Marcus Garvey
November 7th, 2008, 02:42 PM

Mr. Wojciechowski is wrong about the BCS. It works like a charm. His argument is completely off base because he writes it under the assumption that the BCS was intended to crown a "true" national champion. That's not it's main purpose. The BCS was created so the major conferences (the "Big 6" if you will) could controll the money generated by the 4 biggest bowl games. The Cotton Bowl would have been included had it's payout been greater than the Fiesta's. With almost no "major independent" football program (Notre Dame being the exception, so they were included), the Big 6 conferences can assure themselves of a guarenteed minimum share of bowl money every year.

I've said this before: The money they get from the BCS is a sure thing. Nobody knows how much money can be generated by an 8 or 16 team playoff format. There are valid arguments that playoff games wouldn't generate same revenue as the major bowls. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Appguy
November 7th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Mr. Wojciechowski is wrong about the BCS. It works like a charm. His argument is completely off base because he writes it under the assumption that the BCS was intended to crown a "true" national champion. That's not it's main purpose. The BCS was created so the major conferences (the "Big 6" if you will) could controll the money generated by the 4 biggest bowl games. The Cotton Bowl would have been included had it's payout been greater than the Fiesta's. Together, with the almost no "major independent" football program (Notre Dame being the exception, so they were included), the Big 6 conferences can assure themselves of a guarenteed minimum share of bowl money every year.

I've said this before: The money they get from the BCS is a sure thing. Nobody knows how much money can be generated by an 8 or 16 team playoff format. There are valid arguments that playoff games wouldn't generate same revenue as the major bowls. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

While I agree that the only real barrier here is the money, they simply don't have the fans interests in mind at all. I think I speak for basically all FCS fans (and some FBS fans)in that id rather see my team get a shot at a true national title over winning a non-championship bowl game. Knowing you'll never end a season thinking "what if" they had a shot at a big team, since in a playoff you always get that shot.

SactoHornetFan
November 7th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Mr. Wojciechowski is wrong about the BCS. It works like a charm. His argument is completely off base because he writes it under the assumption that the BCS was intended to crown a "true" national champion. That's not it's main purpose. The BCS was created so the major conferences (the "Big 6" if you will) could controll the money generated by the 4 biggest bowl games. The Cotton Bowl would have been included had it's payout been greater than the Fiesta's. With almost no "major independent" football program (Notre Dame being the exception, so they were included), the Big 6 conferences can assure themselves of a guarenteed minimum share of bowl money every year.

With the economy in the tank, I don't see how these companies continue to pay out this kind of change for something (in the real world scheme of things) as frivolous as a college football bowl game.

patssle
November 7th, 2008, 04:12 PM
as frivolous as a college football bowl game.

Seriously? Are you a football fan or not?

AppGrad06
November 7th, 2008, 04:13 PM
How many times has ASU been ranked 1 or 2 going into the playoffs? I think '06 was the only year. They certainly weren't last year and in '05 I think they were 4th at the end of the season.
I just don't see how anyone would support a bunch of people voting for teams to play for a NC and the computers just know the teams on paper.
Give me $1 million, I might change my mind...

There was I website I came across once that had all the old brackets, but I can't seem to find it again.

anyway I came up with those stats based on the seeds given in the playoffs from 1999 on:

unseeded /outside top 4 champs
WKU (2002)
Delaware (2003)
JMU (2004)
ASU (2007)

#1 seed champs
Montana (2001)
ASU (2006)

#2 seed champs
Georgia So. (1999)
ASU (2005)

#3 seeded champs
Georgia So. (2000)

no #4 seed has been champ from 1999 to present

proasu89
November 7th, 2008, 04:21 PM

At least we got mentionedxsmiley_wix

blueballs
November 7th, 2008, 04:33 PM
He was doing just fine up to the last sentence.

aggiemba
November 7th, 2008, 04:36 PM
With the economy in the tank, I don't see how these companies continue to pay out this kind of change for something (in the real world scheme of things) as frivolous as a college football bowl game.

This just about sums up why Suc State puts such a bad product on the field year in and year out.xoopsx

AlphaSigMD
November 7th, 2008, 05:06 PM

I wrote him a quick email praising his article and correcting his tragic flaw.

Let the healing begin...xnodx

coover
November 7th, 2008, 05:39 PM
He was doing just fine up to the last sentence.

Gee, I thought that "APPY" was kinda cute.

Native
November 7th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I wrote him a quick email praising his article and correcting his tragic flaw.

Let the healing begin...xnodx

...do no harm...xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Native
November 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM
...no #4 seed has been champ from 1999 to present

OK. #4 seed will be good enough for me :-)

UNCBears2010
November 7th, 2008, 10:37 PM
How would FBS playoffs look if they were selected like the FCS playoffs? Here's who I think would be in as of now:

8 AQs:

ACC-Georgia Tech
Big 12-Texas Tech
Big East-West Virginia
Big Ten-Penn State
Mountain West-Utah
PAC-10-USC
SEC-Alabama
WAC-Boise State

8 At Larges:

Florida
Georgia
LSU
Missouri
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas

Anyone else think another team deserves a berth? Also three of the seeds are pretty easy to figure out at this point (Alabama, Texas Tech, Penn State), but who gets the fourth? Also, who plays who in the first round?

Just thought it's be something fun to think about.

DSUrocks07
November 8th, 2008, 06:39 AM
How would FBS playoffs look if they were selected like the FCS playoffs? Here's who I think would be in as of now:

8 AQs:

ACC-Georgia Tech
Big 12-Texas Tech
Big East-West Virginia
Big Ten-Penn State
Mountain West-Utah
PAC-10-USC
SEC-Alabama
WAC-Boise State

8 At Larges:

Florida
Georgia
LSU
Missouri
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas

Anyone else think another team deserves a berth? Also three of the seeds are pretty easy to figure out at this point (Alabama, Texas Tech, Penn State), but who gets the fourth? Also, who plays who in the first round?

Just thought it's be something fun to think about.

USC will get the fourth for regional purposes. I'm sure that travel costs will be the least of the worries at the FBS level.

It will probably resemble this:

EAST - Alabama
MIDWEST - Penn State
SOUTH - Texas Tech
WEST - USC

BlueHen86
November 8th, 2008, 07:43 AM

Sadly, I think you are dead on here. I think a playoff would generate more money, but the money wouldn't be controlled by the six BCS conferences, so they are against a playoff.

813Jag
November 8th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Can any of you guys with enough time on your hands pull the stats for how often the number 1 or 2 seeded team won the FCS playoffs?

What about the stats for March Madness?

Only giving the top two ranked teams a chance to win the title is a crime. This year would be AWESOME to watch IA in a playoff system. I would love to see how UF matches up against Texas Tech or PSU. Those would be awesome games!

The TV networks are idiots to not think they would generate more popularity than bowl games that don't count for anything. Seriously, what are the the TV ratings for those games? Attendance is even worse.

The solution is still the hybrid system. Give the top 16 teams a playoff bracket, and everyone else can play bowl games on Tuesday nights on ESPN the Ocho.
the only bowl games that don't draw are the first week games. the Outback Bowl sells out within the first few days of the announcement of teams.
most bowls do well with ratings.