PDA

View Full Version : Injuries in games

woffordgrad94
November 6th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Okay, I guess this is for all you former (or current) football players out there. I was just wondering when players are injured, just how often is it really an accident? How often are players gone after and purposefully injured so they will not be in the game anymore and that will help you win or because they are talking trash, etc? Do coaches ever ask players to "get so-and-so out of there if you can"? I suspect it happens, but personally that is not the wqay I would want to win. I want teams at full strength when I beat them, so no one can use the excuse that they were not. Also, and call me a wimp if you want, but I would feel bad after hurting someone.

Green26
November 6th, 2008, 03:00 PM
In my experience and to my knowledge, it is virtually always an accident.

siuham
November 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM
http://sports.todaysbigthing.com/2008/10/29

Sometimes, no, it is not.

JayJ79
November 6th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Defenders (and offensive players throwing blocks) will make an effort to hit hard and whatnot. And that sometimes results in injuries. But that is part of football.

And there is certainly a difference between playing hard, and playing dirty.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 6th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Defenders (and offensive players throwing blocks) will make an effort to hit hard and whatnot. And that sometimes results in injuries. But that is part of football.

And there is certainly a difference between playing hard, and playing dirty.

The link above is playing dirty. Glad that coach lost his job.

grizband
November 6th, 2008, 03:55 PM
http://sports.todaysbigthing.com/2008/10/29

Sometimes, no, it is not.
Good for the city for suspending that coach...that is just playing dirty.

BTW, did anyone else notice that game was played at the Idaho State dome?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 6th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Good for the city for suspending that coach...that is just playing dirty.

BTW, did anyone else notice that game was played at the Idaho State dome?

I noticed, what high school team was ISU playing again? ;) :D

JayJ79
November 6th, 2008, 04:52 PM
The link above is playing dirty. Glad that coach lost his job.

I agree.

I was talking about the original topic. Hadn't watched that clip yet.

Cobblestone
November 6th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Okay, I guess this is for all you former (or current) football players out there. I was just wondering when players are injured, just how often is it really an accident? How often are players gone after and purposefully injured so they will not be in the game anymore and that will help you win or because they are talking trash, etc? Do coaches ever ask players to "get so-and-so out of there if you can"? I suspect it happens, but personally that is not the wqay I would want to win. I want teams at full strength when I beat them, so no one can use the excuse that they were not. Also, and call me a wimp if you want, but I would feel bad after hurting someone.

Feces Occurs.

Football is a physical game. You hit hard or you get hit hard, simple as that. With that being said I always felt that most injuries were due to the physical nature and intensity of the game. Therefore, I never felt that many injuries happened on purpose nor could they really be considered an accident due to the objective of trying to stop the opponent at any cost.

As for feeling bad about hurting someone, sorry pal but when you've got a job to do you'd best do that job or the coaches will find someone else who will. I personally never tried to injure any player on purpose but I would always lower my shoulder into the chest of a WR if he came my way with the ball. My intent was to cause him to cough up the ball but if he got nailed and had to lay there on the ground for a bit, I can't say I felt too bad about it.

But he who laughs last, laughs best. Today I have a totally screwed up shoulder; torn up labrum. So somewhere out there are some happy former WR's.

Rowdy
November 7th, 2008, 05:58 AM
This reminded me of a Wofford SoCon game several years ago. I can't remember the opponent, but perhaps someone on the board might. Anyway, Wofford had a narrow lead late in the game and went to the victory formation. On the first play, a defender jumped over the line and hit the QB causing some minor injury. Now this was a play sent in by the coaching staff to attempt to jar the ball loose, but any fool knew it had a high probability of injury. Fortunately the injury was minor.

Franks Tanks
November 7th, 2008, 07:27 AM

99% of injuries are simply accidental. I have never heard a coach as a player to try to injure anyone. You go out there and try to crush the guy across from you, but you do it within the rules of the game. It is satisfying to soundly beat or wear down your opponent during a game. Playing dirty and causing injury is cowerdly and any true football player or man would never injure someone on purpose in a FB game.

Cobblestone
November 7th, 2008, 07:31 AM
This reminded me of a Wofford SoCon game several years ago. I can't remember the opponent, but perhaps someone on the board might. Anyway, Wofford had a narrow lead late in the game and went to the victory formation. On the first play, a defender jumped over the line and hit the QB causing some minor injury. Now this was a play sent in by the coaching staff to attempt to jar the ball loose, but any fool knew it had a high probability of injury. Fortunately the injury was minor.

Big difference between a cheap shot and a legal hit.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 7th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I played high school lacrosse. A kid on our team had a late hit against a kid (he tended to do this a lot) and the kid he hit bit a part of his tongue off. The kids family tried to sue the kid for the late hit but I don't think it held up in court.

Rowdy
November 7th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Big difference between a cheap shot and a legal hit.

Yes, it was definitely a cheap shot. I should have made myself clear.

andy7171
November 7th, 2008, 07:38 AM
The majority of injuries on the field occur accidentaly.