PDA

View Full Version : fieldgoal post come down at appstate. again.

DLS
November 6th, 2008, 09:25 AM
http://www.goblueridge.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4946&Itemid=1

lizrdgizrd
November 6th, 2008, 09:41 AM
http://www.goblueridge.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4946&Itemid=1

Who was the genius that left the gate unlocked? xlolx

th0m
November 6th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Uh-oh. There goes that home game for ASU! ;)

introvertedGSUfan
November 6th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Do you ASU students/fans think that the more goalposts your rip down the better off your team becomes? Are you hoarding them somewhere waiting for the goal post exchange rate to increase?

jus10asu
November 6th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Do you ASU students/fans think that the more goalposts your rip down the better off your team becomes? Are you hoarding them somewhere waiting for the goal post exchange rate to increase?

No and Yes

jus10asu
November 6th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I think its kind of stupid to rip down your own goal post to be honest...especially over a non football reason. I will admit that I was involved in the sticking of the goal post though (GSU's ?) bus my Sophomore year. But its getting to be a bit overboard. I mean the school does have to pay for that. Now if you're gonna tear down a goal post then do it the coolest way possible, tear down the goal post at a neutral site or tear down the opposing teams post at an away game. xlolx xlolx

Appguy
November 6th, 2008, 10:29 AM
most ridiculous ripping down of goalposts ive seen yet. what a waste of $2,000. they should check security cameras to see if they can pin it on anyone and get them to pay

asucrutch23
November 6th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I was trying to avoid posting this on AGS, but I figured it would end up here.xrolleyesx Oh well.

appstate1998
November 6th, 2008, 10:49 AM
See...Obama is already causing chaos and costing people money

appfan2008
November 6th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Idiots... why would you tear down the goalposts over this??? and the bigger question why was the stadium unlocked???

appirishmen
November 6th, 2008, 11:08 AM
as a current student.....this is one of the stupidest things the scatterbrained kids can do. i mean really. thats all.

grizband
November 6th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Montana installed collapsible goal posts a couple years ago to avoid this problem after playoff games. Apparently, new goal posts run somewhere in the area of $10-15,000, and the university was sick of replacing them every couple years.

th0m
November 6th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Collapsible goalpost are great and all, but I doubt equipment managers would think to collapse their goalpost for the conclusion of a presidential election.

app
November 6th, 2008, 11:24 AM
it was probably left unlocked because they didn't expect idiot students to bring the goalpost down...

appstate1998
November 6th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if some of those involved were from Sanford Hall (professors) When Rumsfeld stepped down all the professors were running around hugging each other and some were crying.....

appfan2008
November 6th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Collapsible goalpost are great and all, but I doubt equipment managers would think to collapse their goalpost for the conclusion of a presidential election.

that is exactly right and asu already has the collapsible kind!

henfan
November 6th, 2008, 11:33 AM
See...Obama is already causing chaos and costing people money

...but creating more jobs for American companies who make goalposts. xthumbsupx

Hey, he was already responsible for getting a would-be plumber an agent. So far so good.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I've joked around with friends before saying App Students will tear down the goal posts for just about any reason. I've personally watched them do it twice against Furman in a regular season game (even when they were favored).

GSU fans, you guys have six national titles, when was the last time your posts were brought down?

introvertedGSUfan
November 6th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I've joked around with friends before saying App Students will tear down the goal posts for just about any reason. I've personally watched them do it twice against Furman in a regular season game (even when they were favored).

GSU fans, you guys have six national titles, when was the last time your posts were brought down?

Taking down goal posts at an opponent's stadium is pretty undignified. When we snapped your winning streak at The Rock I just celebrated with my roommate by grilling and drinking a little. No need to do anything destructive and dumb.

asucrutch23
November 6th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Let's remember this has nothing to do with football. App's fault for not locking the gates. Students' fault for being idiotic enough to vandalize school property over a presidential election. Let's move on. We don't need goalposts anyway. We score touchdowns:D (then miss half the extra points anyway). xnonono2x xlolx

neersnbeers
November 6th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Makes you wonder, "humm, what would have happened if McCain had won?".

bobbythekidd
November 6th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Way too long ago, IMO. 2000.

OL FU
November 6th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I guess this answers the Wofford poster's question on what is there to do in Boone:D

JayJ79
November 6th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Tearing down goalposts (vandalism) in any circumstances is ridiculous and stupid.

gophoenix
November 6th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Of course it was left unlocked. Students and the public use the track all the time...

lizrdgizrd
November 6th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Of course it was left unlocked. Students and the public use the track all the time...

I think that someone should have thought about the potential for this to happen. This isn't the first time we've goalposted for something unrelated to football (or am I hallucinating again?).

brownbear
November 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I think that someone should have thought about the potential for this to happen. This isn't the first time we've goalposted for something unrelated to football (or am I hallucinating again?).

Didn't they knock them down after the Braves won the pennant in 1992?

BeauFoster
November 6th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I've only seen the stadium locked during fall camp this year when serious construction was ongoing and they were trying to keep people from mucking around.

In fact, in 1998 as a freshman, several of us went into the stadium around 11pm, walked up the stands and into the press box. We ended up crawling up a ladder to the roof and walked out on it. We dropped change off to see how long it took to fall. I'd bet that the new facility will be under a little better lock and key.

appmaj
November 6th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Makes you wonder, "humm, what would have happened if McCain had won?".

B*tched, moaned, and asked for a recount in florida.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 6th, 2008, 03:32 PM

I vowed last year that had things turned out better last year I planned on tearing down the goal posts and taking it to BVG's house and dropping it in the front lawn.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Who pays for it each time they replaced the goal posts? I'm just guessing, but ASU's field is artificial (or at least it was) leading me to think that the posts are bolted to concrete.

Do the residents of North Carolina pick up the bill?

asknoquarter21
November 6th, 2008, 04:31 PM
As far as the stadium being locked...it has never been locked...

anyone wanting a pick up game at the rock just has to find a time no one else is using the field....quite fun

thmst30
November 6th, 2008, 04:58 PM
How stupid, having Kidd Brewer Stadium be so publicly accessible is great, but if idiots keep doing something like this then it will get locked up more often. Its a lose/lose situation. Hopefully it won't happen again.xnonono2x

boonegoon
November 6th, 2008, 05:26 PM
When I was there people were so excited that the Braves won the pennant that they went to the stadium then. Rediculous. I'm sure the posts would have come down if they could have gotten in.

boonegoon
November 6th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Didn't they knock them down after the Braves won the pennant in 1992?

I guess so. I was there then and saw the herd but didn't think they got in.

KiddBrewer
November 6th, 2008, 05:30 PM
http://theapp.appstate.edu/images/stories/front_page/full.jpg

school doesnt look too awful pissed about it......

asucrutch23
November 6th, 2008, 08:10 PM
http://theapp.appstate.edu/images/stories/front_page/full.jpg

school doesnt look too awful pissed about it......

I was gonna post that. I couldn't believe they put that on the front cover when I picked up the App today....xnonono2x xnonono2x

HiHiYikas
November 6th, 2008, 08:42 PM
They don't replace the goalposts so much as they put up the torn-down ones back up.

Except for the 2005 semifinal goalposts. I have a piece of those on my desk.

Appstate29
November 6th, 2008, 09:36 PM
They don't replace the goalposts so much as they put up the torn-down ones back up.

Ha I was part of the group that carried that around. We broke it going up the hill from Rivers Street through Durham Park to Sanford (English Building, can't always remember the name) it broke trying to fit between a building and a tree, one of the most dangerous things I've been part to, watching that thing snap in half, lucky no one was hurt. We brought the straighter piece though the library (doing the SHHHHH!!! was funny) and the student union, and then through Welborn.

As to this, F'n freshman.

WUTNDITWAA
November 6th, 2008, 10:19 PM

I think it depends where on the post it snaps.

mountaineertider
November 6th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I know someone here wrote for the App so I'm not gonna be too rough on it so I don't step on any toes, but today was the last day I will ever read The Appalachian. The biases in that paper ooze off the pages and it just has a "We're better than anyone who criticizes us" writing style.

Appstate29
November 6th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I know someone here wrote for the App so I'm not gonna be too rough on it so I don't step on any toes, but today was the last day I will ever read The Appalachian. The biases in that paper ooze off the pages and it just has a "We're better than anyone who criticizes us" writing style.

It is students. I bet Obama won 5-1 on campus. Wasn't my victory either, but with todays journalism, if it ain't biased, it ain't selling.

asucrutch23
November 6th, 2008, 11:12 PM
It is students. I bet Obama won 5-1 on campus. Wasn't my victory either, but with todays journalism, if it ain't biased, it ain't selling.

They actually ran a poll about a week ago in the Appalachian which simply asked who students were going to vote for. Results came back 75% for McCain. Beats me how they were able to get those results on this campus. Perhaps they conducted the poll at the ASU college Republicans meeting. xlolx xlolx I would have to agree that that paper is teeming with biases, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. xnonono2x

WUTNDITWAA
November 6th, 2008, 11:13 PM

Actually, it ain't selling, anymore -- at least in the dead tree edition.

Silenoz
November 6th, 2008, 11:16 PM
and was thrown in the duck pond

Haha

T-Dog
November 7th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I don't know where the $2,000 figure came from. The post were put back up the next morning. New posts cost a lot more than that. Must have been for the maintenance to put it back up.

And this isn't a normal occurrence. This was a once-in-a-lifetime moment so they're shouldn't be a big deal about locking the stadium up or chastising students. Yeah it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but compared to turning over cars, setting couches on fire, breaking windows and looting like a lot of other colleges do in celebration, it's not that bad.

appstate1998
November 7th, 2008, 02:47 AM
They actually ran a poll about a week ago in the Appalachian which simply asked who students were going to vote for. Results came back 75% for McCain. Beats me how they were able to get those results on this campus. Perhaps they conducted the poll at the ASU college Republicans meeting. xlolx xlolx I would have to agree that that paper is teeming with biases, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. xnonono2x

National newspapers endorsed candidates so I don't see any difference here with a College newspaper being bias towards a candidate. With that said I haven't read more than maybe 2 articles in the App n 11 years that was worth reading anyways. I just grabbed them to have something to read in lecture classes.

appmaj
November 7th, 2008, 08:11 AM
xnonono2x

asucrutch23
November 7th, 2008, 08:38 AM
National newspapers endorsed candidates so I don't see any difference here with a College newspaper being bias towards a candidate. With that said I haven't read more than maybe 2 articles in the App n 11 years that was worth reading anyways. I just grabbed them to have something to read in lecture classes.

I didn't mean the App was biased towards McCain. I was speaking of the other biases other posters suggested. The part about the poll was a completely different thought. Sorry I didn't make that more clear. I simply was wondering how they were able to get those sorts of results at ASU.

spoogemcgee18
November 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM
They actually ran a poll about a week ago in the Appalachian which simply asked who students were going to vote for. Results came back 75% for McCain.

This coming from the same paper that predicted an Appalachian loss to Wofford. Credibility shot.

asucrutch23
November 7th, 2008, 10:56 AM
This coming from the same paper that predicted an Appalachian loss to Wofford. Credibility shot.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. The sports writer who predicted the loss actually wrote a follow-up column explaining her prediction. It was filled with quotes from players about how the prediction had fired them up.

Maybe she should predict us to lose every game... xnodx ;)

ElonFirefighter
November 7th, 2008, 11:00 AM
so are the goal posts coming down this weekend after you beat UTC???

Black and Gold Express
November 7th, 2008, 11:25 AM
And students complain about their fees going up... Where do you wanna bet the next place they go for funds to replace these are, or at least should be. Make those that do the act pay it off.

Black and Gold Express
November 7th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I don't know where the $2,000 figure came from. The post were put back up the next morning. New posts cost a lot more than that. Must have been for the maintenance to put it back up.

And this isn't a normal occurrence. This was a once-in-a-lifetime moment so they're shouldn't be a big deal about locking the stadium up or chastising students. Yeah it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but compared to turning over cars, setting couches on fire, breaking windows and looting like a lot of other colleges do in celebration, it's not that bad.

It was stupid when they did it following Sid Bream's beating out Barry Bonds' 13-hopper from deep shortstop to win the NLCS in 1992 (I was on campus at the time), and it was stupid this time.

IMO, there has been one time when it was proper to do it. 29-23 over Furman.

This trend of our fans might be the most embarrassing thing we do. There ain't a home game on our schedule anymore that's worth it, and doing it for non-sporting events is retarded.

appstate1998
November 7th, 2008, 12:40 PM
It was stupid when they did it following Sid Bream's beating out Barry Bonds' 13-hopper from deep shortstop to win the NLCS in 1992 (I was on campus at the time), and it was stupid this time.

This trend of our fans might be the most embarrassing thing we do. There ain't a home game on our schedule anymore that's worth it, and doing it for non-sporting events is retarded.

Is that the goal post that App put pieces of on a plaque and sold?

MountaineerGuy
November 7th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I work for The Appalachian...

I used to write for the sports desk, but I'm doing the page layout thing now.

For the record, before I say anything, please don't hold back criticizing us just because you know a few of us post here. 1) AGS posters don't owe The Appalachian anything, and 2) It's not like there's not people on the staff who know we could be better at a lot of things. Feedback is invaluable.

As far as the prediction that went in the paper, I know it's hard to go back to the Wednesday before the game, but I know it was pretty split, at least among the people I know. We hadn't been firing on all cylinders the whole season...our run defense had been suspect to say the least...Wofford runs well...etc. Not to mention we struggled against Furman (and not because they were playing like JMU), and Wofford blew out then SoCon-leader Elon the previous week. I wouldn't have called it for Wofford, but I don't think it was ridiculous. If you're gonna complain about bias...wouldn't it be more biased to always call for ASU just because we're students here? Also, the sports editor also went on a sports show on the student radio station and explained mostly what she said in her column...that she had spent the day looking over all the socon stats, and wofford was ahead in virtually every one. I guess you can't get em all right?

But about this Obama thing...I don't really know what to say. I can't understand why students pulled down the goal post. But then again, I don't understand why people flip cars when their team wins a national championship (in any sport, at any level). As far as it being on our front page...what else would you put on your front page? However you feel about it, it's something that happened, and it's kind of a big deal. Being in Boone it's not like we get a huge amount of hard news very often. And the "This is your victory" wasn't really meant to suggest The Appalachian's political position...it was a staple of his acceptance speech, and it made sense as the banner, I think.

Here's a question...we had a long debate about what to call the event...the tearing down goalpost and parading it through the town/campus.

People agreed it wasn't really a rally, because a rally is organized. Others said it was a riot...even though there weren't deaths and burning buildings and flipped cars, there was technically property damage and a mass of uncontrollable people (luckily they did have SOME sense...they didn't do any real damage to business and other public property, but had they desired to be more rowdy, the Boone PD and University police certainly wouldn't have been able to contain them).

In the end it was decided that riot sounded too extreme to describe it...so we called it a "demonstration."

So that's my 2 cents. And again...whoever said they didn't want to be too harsh about The App...let it flow. People always have something to say, but when you ask them to put it in writing for consideration or to sit and down and actually talk to you about it suddenly people with an opinion are scarce. Feedback is appreciated

asucrutch23
November 7th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Couldn't agree more. xnodx xnodx Highlight of my freshman year. xnodx xnodx

EmeryZach
November 7th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Wow, I wouldn't have thought there would even be any Obama supporters at App State. They sure it wasn't distraught McCain fans?

ericsaid
November 7th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Wow, I wouldn't have thought there would even be any Obama supporters at App State. They sure it wasn't distraught McCain fans?

App State and Watauge county is very Liberal compared to the surrounding Counties. Interesting to look at a political map, there's a lot of red around one blue.

EmeryZach
November 7th, 2008, 01:52 PM
App State and Watauge county is very Liberal compared to the surrounding Counties. Interesting to look at a political map, there's a lot of red around one blue.

Yeah, it seems to be the college educated areas that vote liberal.

CrackerRiley
November 7th, 2008, 02:45 PM
From what I've heard, Watauga County is not liberal at all. But I don't like to get into the political stuff...

I also agree with the only times the posts should of come down. ASU 29 Furman 23.

I honestly can't believe the kinds of idiots we have on campus that would do this.

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 7th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Now if you're gonna tear down a goal post then do it the coolest way possible, tear down the goal post at a neutral site or tear down the opposing teams post at an away game. xlolx xlolx

We will figure out how to get those things down in Chattanooga one of these years!

JayJ79
November 7th, 2008, 03:14 PM
We will figure out how to get those things down in Chattanooga one of these years!

I think the National Guard should deploy snipers to prevent that kind of vandalism.

asucrutch23
November 7th, 2008, 03:22 PM
From what I've heard, Watauga County is not liberal at all.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/asucrutch23/watauga.jpg

One of 3 liberal counties in the mountains. xnodx

CrackerRiley
November 7th, 2008, 03:29 PM
hmmm, I think I had a misunderstanding. I guess I heard around Watauga was not liberal. From the looks of it though... it's pretty even
http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/NC/Watauga/8032/12650/en/summary.html

asucrutch23
November 7th, 2008, 03:36 PM
hmmm, I think I had a misunderstanding. I guess I heard around Watauga was not liberal. From the looks of it though... it's pretty even
http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/NC/Watauga/8032/12650/en/summary.html

Very even. xthumbsupx It would probably have been a McCain county without App State voters. Check the results from other college counties in NC. Orange County (Chapel Hill) is something like 75% Obama.

app
November 7th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I thought this was a field goal post topic not a political topic..

asucrutch23
November 7th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I thought this was a field goal post topic not a political topic..

Sorry, it's gone way off topic from the ASU newspaper to political maps.

Ok back on topic: please don't take down the goalposts in Chattanooga this weekend App fans, even though it would be a huge win...xthumbsupx

appstate1998
November 7th, 2008, 03:53 PM
UTC goal posts only come down after they drop them in about 2 seconds with police standing all around them after a National Championship.

However I think it would be cool if say UTC breaks their streak of 3 games scoring 7 points. You know say they drop 10 on App it would be cool if their what 7 maybe 8 fans that come to games rushed the field and tried to tear them down.

neersnbeers
November 7th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I thought if I looked away for a couple days this would go away.

neersnbeers
November 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I thought if I looked away for a couple days this would disappear.

agsadmin
November 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Thread closed. Too much politics in this thread. Please keep politics out of FCS Discussion. Reported by several members.