PDA

View Full Version : You are in trouble if your team is not sponsered by Nike

smcwildcat
November 4th, 2008, 05:52 PM
did you know that every team that has won the FCS championship since the early 80's has arguable been sponsered by Nike

Notice especially since 95-present the champions have been all nike ( I base sponsers by footware / gloves)

I realize how dumb this is but it always hits me when I see addias or reebok and how the teams never have the same success as Nike

Has anyone noticed this?

GolfingGriz
November 4th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Montana was not with NIKE when they won in 1995

Appstate29
November 4th, 2008, 06:05 PM
ASU was not nike when we won in '05. We were Nike in '06 '07

The Cats
November 4th, 2008, 06:25 PM
another theory....... shot down

app
November 4th, 2008, 06:54 PM
lol..well it was a good thought..

JackTwice
November 4th, 2008, 07:08 PM
two instances in 20 years is hardly shot down. The theory still could be statistically significant

jmuroller
November 4th, 2008, 08:27 PM
JMU was Adidas in 04

grizband
November 4th, 2008, 08:39 PM
JMU was Adidas in 04
This picture shows they were Russell:
http://allthingsfootball.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/rascati.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
November 4th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I think Montana may have been Reebok in 2001 also. Hopefully Grizband will have the picture to make the call on that one.

smcwildcat
November 4th, 2008, 08:57 PM
ok folks so i didnt do all my hw but remeber its the shoes I count...

smcwildcat
November 4th, 2008, 08:57 PM
asu was in05.... russell doesnt make shoes..

grizband
November 4th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I think Montana may have been Reebok in 2001 also. Hopefully Grizband will have the picture to make the call on that one.
This picture isn't as large, but I believe that is a Nike swoosh on Yo's jersey.

http://www.umt.edu/urelations/MainHall/102/yo.jpg

GolfingGriz
November 4th, 2008, 08:59 PM
This picture isn't as large, but I believe that is a Nike swoosh on Yo's jersey.

http://www.umt.edu/urelations/MainHall/102/yo.jpg

Correct. Montana switched to NIKE in 2001.

Retro
November 4th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I have heard from a few people that once a team won a national title, NIKE would offer them a deal if their contract was up with their previous provider like Russell Athletic or Champion at the time..

Now, some of you may have noticed that as of the last couple of years, more and more football teams, especially FBS, are moving to Adidas which is a part of Reebok, while Nike has of taken a back seat.

I prefer adidas/reebok as a dealer because they are easier to work with and i get the things i want quicker, at least for Mcneese... That plus they have NBA, NFL and NHL and some NASCAR which i sell also..

Mcneese is with Russell Athletic officially for uniforms, but since it is not exclusive Adidas is able to make jerseys and tees for me.

Thundering_Herd
November 4th, 2008, 10:10 PM
did you know that every team that has won the FCS championship since the early 80's has arguable been sponsered by Nike

Notice especially since 95-present the champions have been all nike ( I base sponsers by footware / gloves)

I realize how dumb this is but it always hits me when I see addias or reebok and how the teams never have the same success as Nike

Has anyone noticed this?

are you related to MplsBison?

eaglewraith
November 4th, 2008, 11:04 PM

I just shuddered from seeing that field. Thankfully that's the last time the championship was ever decided on something that terrible.

already123
November 4th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Damn! I hear NAU just switched to Addidas

ursus arctos horribilis
November 4th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Correct. Montana switched to NIKE in 2001.

Then we must have switched to Reebok in 2002 or 2003? I got some team swag that was Reebok stuff in one of those two years unless I was getting some of the previous contract stuff from Joe and the boys. Doesn't matter it was real nice stuff.

BeauFoster
November 5th, 2008, 06:10 AM
asu was in05.... russell doesnt make shoes..

ASU wasn't sponsored by Nike in 05 or 06. They purchased shoes (actually everything) through a sporting good store about 45 minutes down the mountain, in North Wilkesboro. My father and their sales rep go to ASU games together.

appfan2008
November 5th, 2008, 07:08 AM
the symbol on the jersey has absolutely no effect on the play of the team... as being proved over and over again...

MplsBison
November 5th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Adidas purchased Reebok I think a couple years ago.

Reebok still makes the NFL's uniforms, for now.

I think they also make them for Boston College. That's the only one I can think of off hand.

I imagine once the contract is up the NFL will look elsewhere and not allow a non-US company to make its uniforms like the NBA allows Adidas to make theirs.

Everyone else in the NCAA FBS or FCS is Nike, Adidas, Under Armor or Russel.

UA has also picked up a few here and there off Nike. I know Southern Ill has UA.

ChiefGSU275
November 5th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I wouldnt be surprised to see Under Armour go for the NFL contract, when its available. I hope they dont, but its a strong possibility. I would prefer Nike honestly, I like the look of most everything they put out, with the exception of some shoes.

smcwildcat
November 5th, 2008, 10:57 AM

I think they also make them for Boston College. That's the only one I can think of off hand.

I imagine once the contract is up the NFL will look elsewhere and not allow a non-US company to make its uniforms like the NBA allows Adidas to make theirs.

UA has also picked up a few here and there off Nike. I know Southern Ill has UA.

Northeastern is by reebok this year... thats legit

smcwildcat
November 5th, 2008, 10:59 AM
ASU wasn't sponsored by Nike in 05 or 06. They purchased shoes (actually everything) through a sporting good store about 45 minutes down the mountain, in North Wilkesboro. My father and their sales rep go to ASU games together.

ok but what shoes were they?

smcwildcat
November 5th, 2008, 10:59 AM
also consider FBS the last ten im pretty sure again have been nike

Retro
November 5th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Nike had the NFL contract a few years ago, but they did such a terrible job with it the NFL offered it exclusively to Reebok and they have done a wonderful job with it.

Reebok and Adidas are one company now under the name SLD (Sports licensed division).. UA is too small to handle the NFL and they don't have the variety of apparel to handle the NFL's demands nor the network of stores that carry it..

It has nothing to do with Adidas being a Non-U.S. company.. The NFL wants a global sport as does the NBA and they sell a lot of stuff overseas, so it makes no difference where adidas was based.

madisonfan87
November 5th, 2008, 11:24 AM
JMU was Adidas in 04

No, they were Russell in 2004 and I have a jersey from that year that was also made by Russell.

elon77
November 5th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I heard that the Citadel wears Candie's. Is that indeed true?

Eagle22
November 5th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Georgia Southern was not Nike sponsored in 1985, 1986, 1989, or 1990 ... so the percentages take another hit :D

We were in 1999 and 2000 though.

Hoseinexile07
November 5th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Presbyterian wears Nike and we still lost to Western Carolina. xlolx

xsmhx

jmuroller
November 5th, 2008, 12:51 PM
No, they were Russell in 2004 and I have a jersey from that year that was also made by Russell.

They wore Adidas shoes and had Adidas clothes. I have a coaching jacket that one of the coaches gave me and it is Adidas. That picture clearly shows Adidas shoes.

MaroonDoom
November 5th, 2008, 01:44 PM
EKU= Nike

ur2k
November 5th, 2008, 01:50 PM
This is great news, we switched to Nike this year. Chatty here we come!! xrotatehx

BeauFoster
November 5th, 2008, 02:21 PM
ok but what shoes were they?

They were Nike, but it doesn't matter. The poster said sponsored, ASU wasn't sponsored by Nike. They just bought matching shoes (the same as my high school).

FCSbacker
December 4th, 2008, 11:38 PM
ASU was not nike when we won in '05. We were Nike in '06 '07

ASU was with Nike. THey have been wearing Nike shoes and gloves since at least 1998 when I was play at The Citadel.

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2008, 11:42 PM
ASU was with Nike. THey have been wearing Nike shoes and gloves since at least 1998 when I was play at The Citadel.

App wore Russell in '05... I think.

FCSbacker
December 4th, 2008, 11:44 PM
App wore Russell in '05... I think.

Nike cleats is what I am referring to

MountaineerGuy
December 5th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I hate the stuff that gets posted after the regular season ends >(

BULLDOG8180
December 5th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I heard that the Citadel wears Candie's. Is that indeed true?

The only Candie's I have ever seen at The Citadel is when Elon's Candie A$$e$ show up.

Cocky
December 5th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I like cheerleaders sponsored by Victoria's Secret!!

KiddBrewer
December 5th, 2008, 08:04 AM

you sure we didnt get the nike sponsorship before football season of 2006?.....i believe thats when the entire athletic department got new uni's.xcoffeex

BeauFoster
December 5th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Here's a pic from the 2006 playoffs...

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 5th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Man that field was bad bad BAD! They kept having to get the wire cutters out and take huge chunks of it out, what a disaster that thing was. Glad it hasn't ever been that bad since. :o

smcwildcat
December 5th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I love it when threads come up again