PDA

View Full Version : Could Armanti Edwards Be a First Round Draft pick at Quarterback?

WOCO
November 4th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I think so. He has increadible ability. He was 17 of 19 against us with 2 drops. His potential is off of the charts!

mcveyrl
November 4th, 2008, 12:53 PM
He obviously throws a good ball, but his issue is probably going to be heighth. NFL Scouts don't usually see a 6-0 guy as being tall enough. He would also have to bulk up, but you can usually take care of that. There would probably be some concerns about bulking up affecting his athleticism.

My guess is that he's drafted as a WR on the late first or early second day, but that's a LOOOOONG way off. Unfortunately.

Mountain Panther
November 4th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I think so. He has increadible ability. He was 17 of 19 against us with 2 drops. His potential is off of the charts!

You'll have a hard time convincing me that he's big enough. Show me a current NFL QB who is the same size and we'll talk.

UNI Pike
November 4th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Matt Millen is out of a job, so no

Silenoz
November 4th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I seriously doubt he goes in the first round. And who knows if he's drafted to play QB

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2008, 12:56 PM
No. He's wonderful as a player and a freak of nature but he's too small. He might play another position but not QB. His body won't be able to take the monsterous beatings of 300lbs players 16 weeks a year, he'd get hurt. The reason he was hurt most of the year last year was because of Michigan game and a lot of NFL players are bigger and faster than that defense. he might play in the CFL though.

With all that said I wouldn't be surprised if he signed as a free agent and earned a starter spot.

danefan
November 4th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I highly doubt he'll even be drafted.

Appinator
November 4th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Drew Brees, leader in passing yards, 6-0 209lbs. Armanti is only 20 pounds away.

No way he is even close to the first day of the draft, but he'll be a Seneca Wallace type.

DetroitFlyer
November 4th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Kevin Hoyng got ZERO looks as a QB. Very similar profile to AE. I doubt that he gets drafted at all, he may get a shot as a safety / special teams / wide receiver type of player if the right situation can be found.

I think the NFL misses out on too many good QB's because of the height obsession. No one cares to remember that guy from Boston college, ole whats his name....

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Height is the big reason why most people think Armanti will not be a pro QB, but Jake Delhomme (for just one example) is only 6'2. Armanti is listed as six foot even, but probably isn't that tall. However, he has the arm strength (amply demonstrated Friday night) and is more mobile than the vast majority of pro QBs. So, here's hoping for a late growth spurt.

FWIW-one of his passes was dropped, but one was clearly overthrown out of bounds. Still his passer rating for the game Friday night was 338.57 per ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=190009).

Like mcveyrl I have no idea how they calculate that-but that is the highest rating for a single game that I have ever seen.

GannonFan
No. He's 6'0", 180 lbs. Not only will he not be a first round pick, he won't be picked as a QB at all. If he expresses a desire to play another position (WR) he might be taken as a late flier by someone on the 2nd day of the draft, but otherwise if wants to be a QB he's a future Arena player or CFL'er.

Stang Fever
He obviously throws a good ball, but his issue is probably going to be heighth. NFL Scouts don't usually see a 6-0 guy as being tall enough. He would also have to bulk up, but you can usually take care of that. There would probably be some concerns about bulking up affecting his athleticism.

My guess is that he's drafted as a WR on the late first or early second day, but that's a LOOOOONG way off. Unfortunately.

I disagree. there have been plenty of successful 6'0 QB's Example Drew Brees

danefan
November 4th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Kevin Hoyng got ZERO looks as a QB. Very similar profile to AE. I doubt that he gets drafted at all, he may get a shot as a safety / special teams / wide receiver type of player if the right situation can be found.

I think the NFL misses out on too many good QB's because of the height obsession. No one cares to remember that guy from Boston college, ole whats his name....

Hyong is a great example. A very very very good player with attributes very similar to Edwards.

The only thing Edwards has going for him that Hyong didn't is the exposure he gets. Maybe Kevin Hyong would have gotten more looks if he had played in one of the major FCS conferences. And he certainly could have. And likely would have had results very similar to what Edwards and Landers have done.

mcveyrl
November 4th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I disagree. there have been plenty of successful 6'0 QB's Example Drew Brees

That's fine to use as an example, but he won't have the draft day resume of Drew Brees.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 4th, 2008, 01:04 PM
His arm isn't good enough for the NFL and his rushing threat would lower significantly after he puts on a few pounds so he doesn't get snapped in half by NFL LBs.

He puts up good numbers now because of his dual threat, you change one of those and the other isn't good enough to be in the NFL.

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2008, 01:05 PM
One thing I hate about the NFL is that they look at how big you are, how fast you are, and how much you lift. It seems that what you do on the field isn't as important. I personally think that size should not matter, they tell you from Pee Wee to High School that "the low man wins". Wouldn't that mean that the small man has just as much chance?

GATA
November 4th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Is this a joke? There's absolutely no chance.

The GM who takes Armanti Edwards as a QB in the first round is fired the next day.

Stang Fever
That's fine to use as an example, but he won't have the draft day resume of Drew Brees.

Draft resume?? are you sure??? I think everyone knows who he is after watching what he did against Michigan, secondly he is a proven winner.

ASU is my (homer) second pick to win the Championship again. Which would make it Three time National Championships for him, with a chance for a fourth. Can anyone in the Country say that???

crusader11
Armanti is a fabulous college player, but nothing more imo.

Stang Fever
November 4th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Granted Josh Johnson is 6'2 if that guy can make it playing against NOBODY then a 6'0 Edwards can make it with all his Accomplishments. Now will he be a great player not sure, but saying someone will gamble with him

Eight Legger
November 4th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Edwards would get killed playing QB in the NFL on a weekly basis. He will probably become a hybrid of Joshua Cribbs and Antwan Randle-El ... kick-returner/WR/occasional trick play passer.

ASUMountaineer
November 4th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I say no. As of now he is too small, too short, and not strong enough. He may very well play in the NFL, but I would guess as a WR or PR/ KR.

mcveyrl
November 4th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Draft resume?? are you sure??? I think everyone knows who he is after watching what he did against Michigan, secondly he is a proven winner.

ASU is my (homer) second pick to win the Championship again. Which would make it Three time National Championships for him, with a chance for a fourth. Can anyone in the Country say that???

Yea, I'm sure. What Edwards has done against FCS is impressive and he is definitely a winner.

But most of his stats will be dismissed by the NFL because he played against FCS (his stats against Michigan and LSU were okay, but not great). Take Flacco as an example. His stock really didn't start to rise until he got in the bowl games and other workouts.

I love FCS, but the NFL doesn't care about our stats.

danefan
November 4th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Granted Josh Johnson is 6'2 if that guy can make it playing against NOBODY then a 6'0 Edwards can make it with all his Accomplishments. Now will he be a great player not sure, but saying someone will gamble with him

The NFL draft is more about upside then accomplishments at the college level.

Need an example: Charlie Ward. Won the Heisman Trophy for goodness sake. Would have never ended up as an NFL QB.

Josh Johnson has the potential to be a GREAT QB at the NFL level. Size, speed, arm strength. Everything. If Edwards was 6'2" he'd be a major talent also. He's not though.

GATA
November 4th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Here's Armanti's real problem...offenses in the NFL are all the same (which is why NFL footballs sucks so much).

Every...single..team.. is running the exact same pro style offense which emphasizes getting under center and running the same stupid iso plays and slant routes as everyone else.

It's no surprise that the Miami Dolphins completely killed the Patriots with the "wild hog" offense from Arkansas...NFL defensive coordinators aren't used to doing any work...it's the same crap every week.

The first NFL team to completely adopt a spread offense like the one being run at Florida or App State would dominate the league.

If there was an offense for Armanti to fit into at QB..he would be a first round pick..no doubt.

AppGrad06
November 4th, 2008, 01:22 PM
You'll have a hard time convincing me that he's big enough. Show me a current NFL QB who is the same size and we'll talk.

Jeff Garcia 6-1 205lbs

that said I doubt he'd be first round at QB

WOCO
November 4th, 2008, 01:23 PM

The GM who takes Armanti Edwards as a QB in the first round is fired the next day.

Actually it was a conversation starter. Thats all.

GATA
November 4th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Jeff Garcia 6-1 205lbs

Seneca Wallace too...from the Seahawks...he can't be more than 5'11 200lbs. xcoffeex

jonmac
November 4th, 2008, 01:24 PM
The NFL draft is more about upside then accomplishments at the college level.

Need an example: Charlie Ward. Won the Heisman Trophy for goodness sake. Would have never ended up as an NFL QB.

Josh Johnson has the potential to be a GREAT QB at the NFL level. Size, speed, arm strength. Everything. If Edwards was 6'2" he'd be a major talent also. He's not though.

Not so fast on Charlie Ward, I think he deserved a chance. He just wasn't an NFL style QB and yes, he was short. I can remember fans saying that the best QB in New York is riding the bench for the Knicks.

GATA
November 4th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I think another problem that Armanti would have is that he just seems like a more stiff version of Mike Vick.

Vick always got bashed for not being a "real QB"...he was actually pretty good. He was also more agile and faster than Edwards.

Appaholic
November 4th, 2008, 01:26 PM
no

mtnman
November 4th, 2008, 01:28 PM
No. He's wonderful as a player and a freak of nature but he's too small. He might play another position but not QB. His body won't be able to take the monsterous beatings of 300lbs players 16 weeks a year, he'd get hurt. The reason he was hurt most of the year last year was because of Michigan game and a lot of NFL players are bigger and faster than that defense. he might play in the CFL though.

With all that said I wouldn't be surprised if he signed as a free agent and earned a starter spot.
he was hurt in preseason last year not in the mu game,

Ronbo
November 4th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Drew Brees is only 6' isn't he?

Eaglesrus
November 4th, 2008, 01:33 PM
No. He's 6'0", 180 lbs. Not only will he not be a first round pick, he won't be picked as a QB at all. If he expresses a desire to play another position (WR) he might be taken as a late flier by someone on the 2nd day of the draft, but otherwise if wants to be a QB he's a future Arena player or CFL'er.

I think this sums it up well.

elcid96
November 4th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Congrats to Armanti on a great career in the FCS football league. He will not be drafted by the NFL and will enjoy his rings at home. Good luck to him.

mcveyrl
November 4th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Already answered this, but I think Brees is more the exception than the rule. I think the fact that he's everybody's go to proves the rule by his exception.

Anyway, going into the draft, he won't have stats comparable to Brees because the NFL doesn't care about his FCS stats. To them we are a vastly inferior league...

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2008, 01:35 PM
How big was Jayson Foster? that's an example a good player going mute

AppGrad06
November 4th, 2008, 01:36 PM
yes 6'0" 209lbs and he is the top QB in the league right now

HiHiYikas
November 4th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Doesn't seem so unlikely that he'll play in the NFL, but I'd have to give this particular question - will he be a first round pick and a QB? - a 'no.'

Anything's possible, though.

asucrutch23
November 4th, 2008, 01:44 PM
How big was Jayson Foster? that's an example a good player going mute

Could Jayson Foster throw the way AE can? No. Foster is also 5-9, 165. Armanti is 6-0, 185 and counting. Not near a first round NFL pick though.

GannonFan
November 4th, 2008, 01:47 PM
yes 6'0" 209lbs and he is the top QB in the league right now

And Edwards doesn't have a tenth of the arm that Brees has.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 4th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I would just ask the Tennessee Titans and Atlanta Falcons how the "Run First ... Pass Later" Quarterback experiments went for them...

Edwards is best served as a Wide Receiver, Punt/Kick return type. And he could be REALLY good at it!

Appguy
November 4th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I say no. As of now he is too small, too short, and not strong enough. He may very well play in the NFL, but I would guess as a WR or PR/ KR.
strength enough to be a WR but not a QB? huh?
arm strength? maybe.
but actual strength yes. he can take some major hits and not get phased.

While I would LOVE to see it I think he will only get a shot at WR in rounds 3-5.
his throwing motion is a little awkward and he would have to gain 20-25 pounds and lose no speed/agility in the process. also note that he probably isn't all that familiar with playing under center or possibly reading defenses since the QB coach changes the plays for them a lot in college. maybe he can have a great all star game and change peoples minds?

AppGrad06
November 4th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Really? Brees can sail it over 650 yards through the air? xrolleyesx I think Armanti showed his arm strength (which is still developing) when he aired out the ball for 65 yards though the air to Brian quick on Friday.

A) I mentioned Drew Brees b/c someone inquired about his size

B) Brees has been working out with NFL trainner to get he's arm strength, so of course he has a stronger arm

C) As I already posted I don't think AE would drafted very high, if at all, solely as a QB

D)The only way AE could get drafted high as a QB would be to get invited to and excell durring all-star bowls, the combine, and QB competions a la Joe Flacco

The Moody1
November 4th, 2008, 02:13 PM
He will not be drafted by the NFL and will enjoy his rings at home. Good luck to him.

Wrong. He will be drafted, just not as a quarterback.

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I think we can all agree that Brees is the exception rather than the rule. Shorter quarterbacks like Chris Leak and Troy Smith, who won a national championship and a heisman trophy, hardly got any NFL attention.

GannonFan
November 4th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Really? Brees can sail it over 650 yards through the air? xrolleyesx I think Armanti showed his arm strength (which is still developing) when he aired out the ball for 65 yards though the air to Brian quick on Friday.

A) I mentioned Drew Brees b/c someone inquired about his size

B) Brees has been working out with NFL trainner to get he's arm strength, so of course he has a stronger arm

C) As I already posted I don't think AE would drafted very high, if at all, solely as a QB

D)The only way AE could get drafted high as a QB would be to get invited to and excell durring all-star bowls, the combine, and QB competions a la Joe Flacco

Throwing a deep ball to an open receiver is great. Throwing a frozen rope on a 20-30 yard out pattern from the opposite hash mark is something else. A QB in the NFL throws that deep ball maybe once or twice a game, but he throws the other pass, or ones like it, 95% of the time. Brees was already a pretty accomplished passer when he came out of Purdue, it was his size that kept him from being a 1st round pick (although he was the 1st pick of the 2nd round so not too shabby). No one was questioning Brees's arm strength like they would Armanti's. Flacco was already going to be a 3rd round draft pick long before he did things leading up to the draft, it's not like he was off the radar.

bleedblue
November 4th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I think 180lb is as much an issue, maybe more, than 6". 180lb QB in the NFL? Even Jeff Garcia is 25lbs heavier.

DLS
November 4th, 2008, 02:25 PM
i disagree with the AE/vick comparison.

ae= bruce lee

vick= jackie chan

GATA
November 4th, 2008, 02:26 PM

I'm pretty sure you're wrong...because I remember seeing Edwards throw the ball 60 yards in the air against Wofford...

Unless Drew Brees has a Joe Flacco/Jamarcus Russell arm (which he doesn't) I'm pretty sure he doesn't throw the ball any harder than edwards.

GATA
November 4th, 2008, 02:28 PM
i disagree with the AE/vick comparison.

ae= bruce lee

vick= jackie chan

Well Mike Vick was the best athlete in the NFL before he decided to bank roll a dog fighting ring...I'm pretty sure AE can't touch him.

DLS
November 4th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I think 180lb is as much an issue, maybe more, than 6". 180lb QB in the NFL? Even Jeff Garcia is 25lbs heavier.

ae is 184 and will most likely be 195-200 by next season.

he's a junior remember? and i think is only 19 or barely 20 years old.

kid has got a waaaaaaays to go.

appfan2008
November 4th, 2008, 02:30 PM
he will NOT be drafted in the first round as a quarterback...

I see either 2nd or third round as an athlete or 5,6,7 as a qb would be my guess

PDXCat
November 4th, 2008, 02:31 PM
No. He'll not be a good nfl qb. A great college qb, but not all great college qb's translate - Akili Smith, Alex Smith, Dennis Dixon.. and the list goes on.

DLS
November 4th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Well Mike Vick was the best athlete in the NFL before he decided to bank roll a dog fighting ring...I'm pretty sure AE can't touch him.

i was making the point of different styles of the two

ae is stiff and quick like bruce lee

vick fluid and quick like chan

Eaglesrus
November 4th, 2008, 02:33 PM

We thought the same thing about Jayson Foster :( . Granted Jayson is a little shorter than Armanti, but I think as far as the NFL goes they are in the same boat.

DLS
November 4th, 2008, 02:34 PM
he will NOT be drafted in the first round as a quarterback...

I see either 2nd or third round as an athlete or 5,6,7 as a qb would be my guess

word

alexale23
NO WAY QB class very good this year and AE is not 6 4 230.

ysubigred
Edwards would get killed playing QB in the NFL on a weekly basis. He will probably become a hybrid of Joshua Cribbs and Antwan Randle-El ... kick-returner/WR/occasional trick play passer.

Ditto... He's to fast and gifted not to play on Sunday, just not as an NFL QB xtwocentsx

DLS
November 4th, 2008, 02:38 PM
NO WAY QB class very good this year and AE is not 6 4 230.

not in the draft this year.

sorry to ruin your 09 NC aspirations.

LacesOut
November 4th, 2008, 02:40 PM
A first round draft pick????!!! LMAO

Uhhhhh no.

Will he get drafted in the later rounds? Maybe.

appfan2008
November 4th, 2008, 02:41 PM
word

some one agrees!!!

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2008, 02:41 PM
No. He'll not be a good nfl qb. A great college qb, but not all great college qb's translate - Akili Smith, Alex Smith, Dennis Dixon.. and the list goes on.

Whatever happened to him anyway?

mcveyrl
November 4th, 2008, 02:42 PM

They actually talked about him on MNF. He's the Steelers emergency QB.

Mountain Panther
November 4th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Jeff Garcia 6-1 205lbs

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

AE is an inch shorter and 20 lbs lighter.

Appguy
November 4th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Dennis Dixon is the #3 QB on the Pittsburgh Steelers.

had a 47 yard TD run in the preseason and look decent for having a recovering knee

bluehenbillk
November 4th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Will he get drafted? Yes

As a QB? Very doubtful

1st Round? No

Stang Fever
November 4th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I dont think he will be a first rounder, I am making the argument that he will be drafted when the time comes. He is too much of an athlete to pass up on. Has the chance to Win 3 if not 4 National Championships

Appguy
November 4th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Those other guys a la Chris Leak and Troy Smith had a different kind of knock on them though,... that they were just surrounded by talent.

LehighFan11
November 4th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Armanti getting drafted in the 1st round is laughable. However, he will get drafted. Teams have made alot worse picks than Armanti would be. I think he will get a chance to play QB but most likely will have to settle at WR. He could probably play right away in the NFL at a combination of KR/PR/RB/WR seeing 10-15 plays a game. If he is stubborn, he could bounce around the CFL or Arena and we might see him playing QB in 5 years.

Native
November 4th, 2008, 03:10 PM
First round as a QB? Nope.

ur2k
November 4th, 2008, 03:26 PM
He'll get drafted by someone as an athlete but not a QB and they'll put him at a position that they think he'll fit in camps. Maybe a team will put him in for some Wildcat formations that the NFL likes so much this year.

Although not the same, since I think Edwards is a much better QB, Stacey Tutt was signed as a free agent by the Jets and played Fullback. Yup - from a college QB to a Fullback. I guess he was signed purely b/c of athletic ability but didn't fit the NFL mold of a QB.

AppGrad06
November 4th, 2008, 03:27 PM
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

AE is an inch shorter and 20 lbs lighter.

An inch really doesn't mean jack squat especially when they already think he is short and AE is a junior he has plenty of time to bulk up. Still I don't think he has a good chance as a QB draft prospect b/c he doesn't "fit the mold"

DLS
November 4th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Armanti getting drafted in the 1st round is laughable. However, he will get drafted. Teams have made alot worse picks than Armanti would be. I think he will get a chance to play QB but most likely will have to settle at WR. He could probably play right away in the NFL at a combination of KR/PR/RB/WR seeing 10-15 plays a game. If he is stubborn, he could bounce around the CFL or Arena and we might see him playing QB in 5 years.

edwards has already said that he would switch to wr if thats what it took to play in the nfl.

KiddBrewer
November 4th, 2008, 03:31 PM
too small? no chance? ok maybe not, but ever heard of the Wildcat offense?

and he doesnt care what position it is as long as hes in the league.

mcveyrl
November 4th, 2008, 03:32 PM

He would have to add some serious bulk (like running back bulk) to do that. I think his best chance is to go to WR. I think he'll be successful there.

KiddBrewer
November 4th, 2008, 03:34 PM
but no chance hes a first round QB... to clear that up

introvertedGSUfan
November 4th, 2008, 03:35 PM

and he doesnt care what position it is as long as hes in the league.

Which only the Dolphins run at the moment? You can't assume they would pick him up over some team that may take him earlier as an athlete. He could probably play as a receiver, but you people saying that he can "take hits" have to realize that NFL players hit so much more harder than FCS.

KiddBrewer
He would have to add some serious bulk (like running back bulk) to do that. I think his best chance is to go to WR. I think he'll be successful there.

agreed. good slot reciever.

KiddBrewer
Which only the Dolphins run at the moment? You can't assume they would pick him up over some team that may take him earlier as an athlete. He could probably play as a receiver, but you people saying that he can "take hits" have to realize that NFL players hit so much more harder than FCS.

hey just throwin out options. im not saying its likely, but im saying theres a chancexthumbsupx xsmiley_wix xcoffeex

and dont call us "you people"...sounds like youre talkin politics ha

Black Saturday
November 4th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Someone may have already posted this to you, but he was actually hurt in the Black & Gold scrimmage after a long run and tackle from behind by a DB even though he had a red jersey. Not in the Michigan game. He is tough as there is. I don't know how his game will translate to the pros, but he's athletic enough for someone to give him a shot.

siuham
November 4th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Height is the big reason why most people think Armanti will not be a pro QB, but Jake Delhomme (for just one example) is only 6'2. Armanti is listed as six foot even, but probably isn't that tall. However, he has the arm strength (amply demonstrated Friday night) and is more mobile than the vast majority of pro QBs. So, here's hoping for a late growth spurt.

FWIW-one of his passes was dropped, but one was clearly overthrown out of bounds. Still his passer rating for the game Friday night was 338.57 per ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=190009).

Like mcveyrl I have no idea how they calculate that-but that is the highest rating for a single game that I have ever seen.

NCAA is different than the NFL.

it translates to a 158.33 rating. Still good, just not the astronomical one you're seeing.

Appstate29
November 4th, 2008, 04:04 PM
not a 1st rounder, but I wouldn't throw away the idea of him playing QB in the NFL. ASU fans will remember how much Sticks bulked up when the Packers signed him (going from around 225 to 260 or so in one off-season) and then settling around 270 for his playing career. If you give Armanti NFL-Style training and dieting I can see him playing at around 200-205. Also, get him around a trainer for his arm, and you'll see his arm strength improve (although he can sling it when he wants to). Get a head coach that knows how to use his talents (and not throw him in a pro style offense where he does a little running around), and I could see him becoming a good NFL QB.

SeattleGriz
November 4th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I have to say no for two reasons:

1) Size
2) From what I have seen, I don't believe he can make the throws that he needs to. Now realize I say, "from what I have seen" - and that unfortunately isn't enough to put a lot of weight into this reason.

His 65 yard pass the other night doesn't mean anything other than he threw the ball 65 yards. I threw the ball close to that in high school weighing 160lbs.

proasu89
November 4th, 2008, 04:09 PM
agreed. good slot reciever.

I've got a hunch that next year we might see
AE split wide (on a few occasions) with Pressley at QB. This would be more viable if we weren't loaded at WR. Hillary, Quick, Johnson, Frazier, Cline, and so on. Would be fun to see thoughxnodx

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
What's with all this NFL draft talk? Edwards still has two national championships, a senior year Heisman nomination, and an undefeated '09 season awaiting him. We can talk NFL in 2010. xcoffeex

BEAR
November 4th, 2008, 04:14 PM

My thought exactly. Wide Receiver possibly. He's got the skills to do the wildcat offense if used also. Bomar looks to be the more typical QB. He has taken some hits that would knock out the average QB but he got up, and kept going. Brown has the passing skills and his running game is developing slowly, but his field command is excellent..one pick this year. Edwards might be picked QB but late late rounds or FA..but mostly as WR imo. xcoffeex

Appstate29
November 4th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I have to say no for two reasons:

1) Size
2) From what I have seen, I don't believe he can make the throws that he needs to. Now realize I say, "from what I have seen" - and that unfortunately isn't enough to put a lot of weight into this reason.

His 65 yard pass the other night doesn't mean anything other than he threw the ball 65 yards. I threw the ball close to that in high school weighing 160lbs.

yes yes yes we know, you'd take armanti down with one punch, fart and all our O-line would immediately pass out, you could throw the ball farthern than AE right out of the womb and run faster them him with both legs broken. Also, you pleased 1000 women a day for 15 straight years until you met your wife.
xcoffeex xcoffeex

;) ;) ;) just kidding

jstate83
November 4th, 2008, 04:18 PM

NO.
6'0" and play's at the FCS level.xsmhx
NFL team's are not going to take a chance with a 1st round pick on a 6'0" QB.

You got to have the size and flare of a Flaco? (Deleware), or a Steve McNair to get a 1st round shot at QB in the NFL comming from our level.

SeattleGriz
November 4th, 2008, 04:36 PM
yes yes yes we know, you'd take armanti down with one punch, fart and all our O-line would immediately pass out, you could throw the ball farthern than AE right out of the womb and run faster them him with both legs broken. Also, you pleased 1000 women a day for 15 straight years until you met your wife.
xcoffeex xcoffeex

;) ;) ;) just kidding

Nice try, it was actually 1500 women, but who am I to argue.

I really do think Armanti is a fantastic player, unfortunately, I don't believe he will be drafted as a QB, and I root for every FCS player to make it to the NFL.

AppStsGr8
November 4th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I'd like to see a national championship for AE this year and next first ...

Do I honestly believe he could be successful in the NFL?
Not at QB as the NFL game is currently played. AE's too small ... I can just see some NFL defender crashing into those chicken legs.

Do I think AE's the best FCS quarterback this year? Absolutely!

Retro
November 4th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Whose Armanti Edwards??xcoffeex

Just kidding!

Armanti has great mobility, speed and strong arm.. A little short for NFL, but that can be compensated by decision making and quick release...

Armanti has another year to work on his accuracy, touch and pocket presence..

In the NFL, you have to be able to stay in the pocket, step up and make an accurate through...

Armanti is a like a michael vick type (without the dogs), but vick's problem was he had no touch on the ball and ran too quickly..

I think armanti is likely a drafted utility player or maybe a middle round QB, depending on the team.. Who knows how things look a year from now.

gbhmt
November 4th, 2008, 04:48 PM
He'd do well in a Wildcat offense, the new fad in the NFL. But otherwise, not so sure. We'll see next year.

yosef1969
November 4th, 2008, 04:49 PM
No

app
November 4th, 2008, 04:52 PM
If he eats cheeseburgers for a month and puts on some weight then maybe in one of the late rounds. Otherwise no.

Syntax Error
November 4th, 2008, 04:59 PM
maybe in AFL or CFL

james_lawfirm
November 4th, 2008, 05:27 PM
His arm isn't good enough for the NFL and his rushing threat would lower significantly after he puts on a few pounds so he doesn't get snapped in half by NFL LBs.

Maybe. But, did you see the 65 yd. rope he threw to Quick on Halloween? I would never have believed it & I have seen ALMOST every game he's played.

I don't know if he could make it as an NFL QB. BUT, if he is given a chance, he might. He'll sure as heck be the quickest QB ever. He beat the crap out of Joe Flacco, who fit the suit better.

james_lawfirm
November 4th, 2008, 05:31 PM

No chance? I don't know about that. Why do we all assume the NFL GM's & decision-makers ALL think alike? If they actually did, then all the teams would look alike & run the same offense & defense.

james_lawfirm
November 4th, 2008, 05:33 PM
It seems to me that IF (big if) an NFL team was brave enough to experiment with the professional equivalent of the spread option, then why not draft one of the best QBs to run that format? The problem is that I don't see any NFL team thinking outside the box like that.

Maybe the Cowboys should consider it. They can't do any worse than they're doing now. Apologies to all you Cowboy fans.

siuham
November 4th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Not sure if anyone touched on it, but passer rating is different in the NCAA than NFL. Armanti had a good night, but it was 20 points below a 'perfect' rating for an NFL game.

NCAA rating has no cap.

appirishmen
November 4th, 2008, 05:38 PM
if he does...it wont be at QB. hes not big enough

thmst30
November 4th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Maybe another Randel El type player, but thats it. He actually is very similar to Joshua Cribbs.

gbhmt
November 4th, 2008, 05:51 PM
It seems to me that IF (big if) an NFL team was brave enough to experiment with the professional equivalent of the spread option, then why not draft one of the best QBs to run that format? The problem is that I don't see any NFL team thinking outside the box like that.

Maybe the Cowboys should consider it. They can't do any worse than they're doing now. Apologies to all you Cowboy fans.

Accepted. *shakes head*

Hoyadestroya85
November 4th, 2008, 06:08 PM

Armanti's a MUCH better qb than hoyng

ASU88
November 4th, 2008, 06:15 PM
AS fantastic as AE is to watch on Saturdays ...

... I don't see him playing on Sundays.

whoanellie
November 4th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Taking nothing from AE,there are several players with Armani's talent and athletic abilities. The only thing is they were recruited to develop and play another position like a Corner or wideout. No doubt he was recruited by BCS schools to do that as well. The pro game so different and a player like AE would be at risk to the size and speed to hold up but if he could learn a slash position he might just have value.

app
November 4th, 2008, 06:48 PM

can't really win games when your starting QB loses a finger and your backup belongs in a wheelchair and not on the field.

app
November 4th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I can't find the post of the one saying the GM would be fired if AE was drafted. Why not pick him? Never know what could happen in the late rounds.. Tom Brady anyone?

smallcollegefbfan
November 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Here are some things that have not really been brought up in this thread.

1. Most QBs 6'0 or so weigh in the 215-220 range or more and AE is only 184 pounds. He would struggle taking hits in the NFL at his size. That is something that teams consider and likely would make him a developmental type because he would have to gain weight. With that said developmental QBs are taken in the late rounds.

2. Most NFL teams don't look at him as a QB because of his great speed and burst and likely see him as a WR or RB.

3. Another thing to remember is the type of offense ASU runs and those offenses are not run in the NFL. Edwards is not a pro style passer.

To sum it up he is too light to play QB and is not a pro style passer. Most QBs similar to him in their style of play and size go in the 5th-7th round. Find me a 6'0 184 pound QB in the NFL who ran the spread offense and then you can argue that he could be a top draft pick, however, you won't find one and thus Edwards is purely a late round or PFA type player. I personally predict he goes undrafted or is taken in the 6th-7th round range as long as he does well at the combine and then ends up in the CFL. He would be outstanding in the CFL.

smallcollegefbfan
November 4th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I can't find the post of the one saying the GM would be fired if AE was drafted. Why not pick him? Never know what could happen in the late rounds.. Tom Brady anyone?

They were talking about if they drafted AE in the first round. I would think that he is a perfect late round pick because of his ability and speed to give a team a solid all-purpose or developmental type.

siuham
November 4th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I'd be okay with the Steelers taking him in a later round.

He'd end up a WR who could throw, ala Randle El in the Super Bowl XL. :)

BDKJMU
November 4th, 2008, 07:24 PM

Lay down your crack pipe. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

JohnStOnge
November 4th, 2008, 07:27 PM
No way.

In fact, I don't think he'll get drafted as a QB at all. If the NFL drafts him, it'll be because somebody's looking at him for another position.

I'm not saying that's necessarily fair. But there's no way anybody in the NFL is going to draft Armanti Edwards with the idea of him being a quarterback at that level.

JohnStOnge
November 4th, 2008, 07:32 PM
This kind of gives you an idea as to the outlook:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66873&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR

They've got him as a 4th or 5th round draft pick with the primary position being wide receiver.

No, it's not "official." But the NFL is not going to look at Amranti Edwards as a quarterback.

ASUTed
November 4th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I think we can all agree that Brees is the exception rather than the rule. Shorter quarterbacks like Chris Leak and Troy Smith, who won a national championship and a heisman trophy, hardly got any NFL attention.

Hello?

Troy Smith is the backup in baltimore and would have won the job if not for a sickness earlier in the season. Chris Leak is a system qb. Armanti could also be labled a system qb and for that reason he will play wr/kr. Leak did not have the athletic ability to move positions.

ericsaid
November 4th, 2008, 07:45 PM

Drew Brees is 6'0 barely, not sure but there are others. Doug Flutie was shorter than 6'0 I believe.

If the NFL isn't scared of wasting money on him at quarterback I imagine he could be very useful at that position.

ericsaid
November 4th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Hello?

Troy Smith is the backup in baltimore and would have won the job if not for a sickness earlier in the season. Chris Leak is a system qb. Armanti could also be labled a system qb and for that reason he will play wr/kr. Leak did not have the athletic ability to move positions.

He threw for 367 yards, and has 20 TD's passing. That my friend is not a system QB. Everyones seen how accurate he is and nowwe know he can throw a ball 65 yards with a lot of accuracy.

Brian Quick is probably App's best pro prospect at his position even though he's a freshman. He runs a 4.4 and has a 42 inch vertical and is 6'5.

smallcollegefbfan
November 4th, 2008, 08:14 PM
This kind of gives you an idea as to the outlook:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66873&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR

They've got him as a 4th or 5th round draft pick with the primary position being wide receiver.

No, it's not "official." But the NFL is not going to look at Amranti Edwards as a quarterback.

He won't go that high. That is just their guess and as everyone saw in June and July, their rankings will change after they get rankings from NFL scouting services. AE probably won't be on the draft board once those come in.

smallcollegefbfan
November 4th, 2008, 08:18 PM
He threw for 367 yards, and has 20 TD's passing. That my friend is not a system QB. Everyones seen how accurate he is and nowwe know he can throw a ball 65 yards with a lot of accuracy.

Brian Quick is probably App's best pro prospect at his position even though he's a freshman. He runs a 4.4 and has a 42 inch vertical and is 6'5.

I agree on that. Quick is a beast and has the ideal physical tools.

From what I have seen I believe that Cortez Gilbert, AE, Brian Quick, CoCo Hillary, Mark LeGree, Dominique McDuffie, TJ Courman, and Neil Young are the only ones that I could see getting a NFL shot.

DJ Smith probably gets a shot because of his speed but if you watch him he is very stiff in the hips and misses too many tackles that he should make to be considered a legit draftable prospect.

The one thing that Gilbert, AE, Quick, Hillary, LeGree, and McDuffie have is size and/or speed for the NFL. Courman will get a shot but he will end up getting cut early. Young has a good leg. I could really see him getting a look at punter. Not sure if he makes it because it is so tough at that position but he is certainly worth a look and will get into a camp.

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 4th, 2008, 08:20 PM
OK-so maybe Armanti doesn't get drafted, maybe not even as an "athlete". How about this: if he doesn't go to the CFL should a team sign him to the practice squad as a gamble? Give him a year or two to see if he grows any or how he looks in competition against NFL players on a regular basis.

AppStateold299
November 4th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I would love to say that he does have a shot at being QB in the NFL, but I doubt someone will take a chance on him. Although there have been bigger chances taken on people. I do think that if he keeps putting up the numbers that he typically does that it will be hard for teams to decide. I think he will get a chance at least at training camp to prove his ability. However I do believe when things work out that he will be a WR in the NFL drafted in the later rounds. We can always hope for higher for the amazing playmaker that is Armanti Edwards.

smallcollegefbfan
November 4th, 2008, 08:46 PM
OK-so maybe Armanti doesn't get drafted, maybe not even as an "athlete". How about this: if he doesn't go to the CFL should a team sign him to the practice squad as a gamble? Give him a year or two to see if he grows any or how he looks in competition against NFL players on a regular basis.

He will end up in the CFL most likely. If AE was say 6'2 210 then I would say he goes 3rd-4th round but he is most likely going to be 5'11 180-185 by NFL standards and anyone who follows the draft knows that 5'11 185 will not get you drafted as a QB from a small school, period! He could be a great CFL player or even a solid undrafted signing who makes a practice squad, like you mentioned.

ericsaid
November 4th, 2008, 08:53 PM
5'11 also known as 6'0

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 4th, 2008, 10:26 PM
If he is drafted it won't be because teams want him as a QB. In the NFL there is no such thing as "if he wasn't such a good runner we would not have drafted him" for quarterbacks.

He could very well be drafted and given a chance at another position since he was a great athlete, like Jayson Foster was.

APPsolute Champion
November 4th, 2008, 11:57 PM
AE could be a first round pick at QB.......in the CFL.

ASU_MBA
November 5th, 2008, 12:03 AM
i love AE and all....but no way he gets drafted in the 1st round and no way he gets drafted as a QB

he is just too small and it is so much easier throwing the ball out of the shotgun each time when the lineman open up gaps for vision when you are undersized....he is not an nfl style qb....

Eaglesrus
November 5th, 2008, 08:08 AM
No way.

In fact, I don't think he'll get drafted as a QB at all. If the NFL drafts him, it'll be because somebody's looking at him for another position.

I'm not saying that's necessarily fair. But there's no way anybody in the NFL is going to draft Armanti Edwards with the idea of him being a quarterback at that level.

I agree and also think that if he is drafted for another position it will be in the late rounds because he will be unproven in that position (unless of course JM would like to change him to wide receiver next year, which is an option that gets my vote).

CSUBUCDAD
November 5th, 2008, 08:48 AM
No way he gets drafted as a QB. Way way too small for the NFL at that position.

EllsworthGriz
November 5th, 2008, 08:58 AM
no

We have a winner.

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 5th, 2008, 09:45 AM
From what I have seen I believe that Cortez Gilbert, AE, Brian Quick, CoCo Hillary, Mark LeGree, Dominique McDuffie, TJ Courman, and Neil Young are the only ones that I could see getting a NFL shot.

DJ Smith probably gets a shot because of his speed but if you watch him he is very stiff in the hips and misses too many tackles that he should make to be considered a legit draftable prospect.

That's a lot of pro prospects for an FCS team! xthumbsupx

And they will all just about all be back next year! :D :D :D :D :D

I'm not so sure about Hillary, Gilbert, or Courman, but I think Quick.LeGree, and Smith are the best pro prospects. The freshman McDuffie looked like he would be a really good one too, before he went out.

With all this CFL and Edwards talk, I have a question. I've never really heard much about the CFL, are they all spread option happy up there like college? If so, I might have to start following it. I much prefer the college game to the NFL style of play.

DLS
November 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM

I'm not so sure about Hillary, Gilbert, or Courman, but I think Quick.LeGree, and Smith are the best pro prospects. The freshman McDuffie looked like he would be a really good one too, before he went out.

With all this CFL and Edwards talk, I have a question. I've never really heard much about the CFL, are they all spread option happy up there like college? If so, I might have to start following it. I much prefer the college game to the NFL style of play.

cfl is where old school coaches go to die. its like pro-style on crack. also there is less sustainability in the league. coaches and quarterbacks come and go like a fart in the wind

Black Saturday
November 5th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I agree and also think that if he is drafted for another position it will be in the late rounds because he will be unproven in that position (unless of course JM would like to change him to wide receiver next year, which is an option that gets my vote).

Then we'd have to run him out of town like you guys did Van Goiter.

Black Saturday
November 5th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Maybe another Randel El type player, but thats it. He actually is very similar to Joshua Cribbs.

Is he like the JAX Jags QB?

Appinator
November 5th, 2008, 10:39 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=3681791&univLogin02=stateChanged&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dkiper_j r_mel%26id%3d3681791%26univLogin02%3dstateChanged

Still don't think Armanti would be drafted as a pro-QB, but Mel Kiper wrote an article about him on ESPN.com. I can't access the full story though, it's an "insider" article. xnonono2x

If anyone has access and can give us an overview of what he said, it would be great.

appvette
November 5th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I think the fact that we are even having this conversation says a lot about the progress AE has made in the last year. He's always been great, but last year many people were saying he was only good as a runner, his passing game was below average, he was only good becasue he was surrounded by talent (DJ and KRich) and he was only 160 lbs.

DLS
November 5th, 2008, 10:47 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=3681791&univLogin02=stateChanged&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dkiper_j r_mel%26id%3d3681791%26univLogin02%3dstateChanged

Still don't think Armanti would be drafted as a pro-QB, but Mel Kiper wrote an article about him on ESPN.com. I can't access the full story though, it's an "insider" article. xnonono2x

If anyone has access and can give us an overview of what he said, it would be great.

shieza! someone get on this.

Black and Gold Express
November 5th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Armanti will not be drafted as a QB. He will face a tough decision though. He could be an excellent CFL quarterback. So the choice becomes, switch positions and go to the NFL with a high learning curve ahead, or head north and get paid to be a spread QB.

He's already made this kind of decision once by choosing to come to ASU. The money difference would be rather large at first, but the elite CFL quarterbacks do get paid. And Richie Williams has started to succeed up there, and Armanti is a far better QB at this point than Richie was then.

Black and Gold Express
November 5th, 2008, 01:12 PM
shieza! someone get on this.

Not going to repost, that's a copyright violation. However to summarize, Kiper thinks that he has a future in the NFL, just at another position.

Black and Gold Express
November 5th, 2008, 01:16 PM

It is much more spread oriented. With 3 downs instead of 4, a wider and longer field, the ability to have one receiver get a running start, it really lends itself to the spread attack. I have found the little I can find on DirecTV very enjoyable to watch.

ChickenMan
November 5th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Edwards is a great college QB.. but what often makes a great college QB (outstanding athletic ability) seldom transfers to the NFL. If a college QB can't throw that 15-20 yrd out across the field on a rope.. they are not likely to have success in the NFL. Edwards like Ricky Santos may have been an outstanding QB, performing better than the likes of Joe Flacco vs college competition.. but the game changes dramatically in the NFL and those athletic traits that made you a great college QB seldom equate to success on Sundays.

DLS
November 5th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Armanti will not be drafted as a QB. He will face a tough decision though. He could be an excellent CFL quarterback. So the choice becomes, switch positions and go to the NFL with a high learning curve ahead, or head north and get paid to be a spread QB.

He's already made this kind of decision once by choosing to come to ASU. The money difference would be rather large at first, but the elite CFL quarterbacks do get paid. And Richie Williams has started to succeed up there, and Armanti is a far better QB at this point than Richie was then.

he already said he would switch positions to play in the nfl.

DLS
November 5th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Not going to repost, that's a copyright violation. However to summarize, Kiper thinks that he has a future in the NFL, just at another position.

this is a msg board, what is espn going to do? sue you?

post the article and i will tell you a secret.:D

Eaglesrus
November 5th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Tracy Ham, our QB in the earliest days of our revival of the football program and who is now in the college football hall of fame, had a long, successful and rewarding career in the CFL. I think it's a viable option.

GATA
November 5th, 2008, 02:19 PM
i was making the point of different styles of the two

ae is stiff and quick like bruce lee

vick fluid and quick like chan

LOL. I see...fair enough xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
November 5th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Why Armanti will not be a pro quarterback (and it's delusional to think he will, let alone a first round pick)
Matt Jones, Randle-El, Brad Smith, Michael Robinson, Josh Cribbs.. Need i go on?
some of those guys were good college QBs which Armanti is.. but he's not a pro QB at all.. I highly doubt that he's even 180 pounds.. he looks way skinny to me..

DLS
November 5th, 2008, 02:30 PM
LOL. I see...fair enough xthumbsupx

gotta learn your kung fu terminology. ***** will get you killed out here in the wild.

biggie
November 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Why Armanti will not be a pro quarterback (and it's delusional to think he will, let alone a first round pick)
Matt Jones, Randle-El, Brad Smith, Michael Robinson, Josh Cribbs.. Need i go on?
some of those guys were good college QBs which Armanti is.. but he's not a pro QB at all.. I highly doubt that he's even 180 pounds.. he looks way skinny to me..
He is 184lbs, up almost 10lbs from last year, definately looks bigger than last year. And should add another 5-10 this coming off season.

slycat
November 5th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Heck no. Way too small. I bet he gets picked up after the draft at some training camps. Doesn;t ever really pan out. He's just built to be a great college ball player not pro.