PDA

View Full Version : Dukes Play For Home Berths

BDKJMU
November 4th, 2008, 11:48 AM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=32960&CHID=3&sub=

mtnman
November 4th, 2008, 01:39 PM
the way mickey talks his team is beat before they play if they have to come to boone,he is scraded to death of playing asu in boone.thats the wrong message to send his team,whay happens if they lose a game he has told his tems that the season is over very smart mickey

JMU2004
November 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM
the way mickey talks his team is beat before they play if they have to come to boone,he is scraded to death of playing asu in boone.thats the wrong message to send his team,whay happens if they lose a game he has told his tems that the season is over very smart mickey

umm, not sure of your meaning as this is tough to understand.

MM is just saying that it is tough to win in Boone. His teams aren't scared of Boone, and Mickey isn't throwing in the towel either.

appfan2008
November 4th, 2008, 02:37 PM
umm, not sure of your meaning as this is tough to understand.

MM is just saying that it is tough to win in Boone. His teams aren't scared of Boone, and Mickey isn't throwing in the towel either.

id say only one time has a team come to boone and won in the last 40 times they have tried...

Anovafan
November 4th, 2008, 02:56 PM
"The NCAA requires a minimum bid of $30,000 for the first round, $40,000 for the second round and $50,000 for the third round. The bids are due on Nov. 14.....The general notion is that a competitive bid is about double the NCAA minimum."

This makes me mad. As much as I love FCS football, I would much rather see a 1-16 seeded field and 1-8 have home field advantage. Let the kids travel to a new place, it is a once in a lifetime experience and is not going to bankrupt a school.

mcveyrl
November 4th, 2008, 02:59 PM
"The NCAA requires a minimum bid of $30,000 for the first round, $40,000 for the second round and $50,000 for the third round. The bids are due on Nov. 14.....The general notion is that a competitive bid is about double the NCAA minimum."

This makes me mad. As much as I love FCS football, I would much rather see a 1-16 seeded field and 1-8 have home field advantage. Let the kids travel to a new place, it is a once in a lifetime experience and is not going to bankrupt a school.

I agree. The whole bid thing is ridiculous, but it is what it is.

Native
November 4th, 2008, 03:00 PM
xlolx

xlolx xlolx xlolx

I was trying to explain the whole playoff seeding thing to one of our players. His response was, "BS! Who cares? We can beat anybody. It doesn't matter where we play."

Whether he is right or wrong, he sure has the right attitide! xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
November 4th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Where'd he say that? He said that being at home greatly enhances our chances of winning a NC. That's true. It's true for everybody. It's especially true if you have a good chance of playing in Boone (I'm not going to deny that it's a tough place to play).

I'm sure Mickey's scared of coming to Boone. xrolleyesx It was such a blowout last year...

DTSpider
November 4th, 2008, 03:16 PM

If they were to put all the games on TV I'd agree with you, but I think that part of what makes the playoffs fun is that usually the games are within driving distance and you can draw crowds. I've enjoyed Richmond playing Hampton, Furam & Wofford in the playoffs more than games against teams like Eastern Kentucky. You want there to be people in the stands for these games. Besides, when you start to rank from 1 to 16 than you have debate over whether a team is a #12 seed or #13 seed. Who cares? The top 4 get rewarded and have earned that right.

Now, if you're upset that teams like ASU, UD & Montana will always get home games, than I understand. Perhaps you change the current system and get the same regional match-ups, tell both teams they have to guarantee a set amount of money (say $50,000) and then if both teams say "yes I'd pay that" than give the home game to the team with the higher GPI (or some other ranking index). It may not be perfect and you may have some #8 at #2 games and some #9 at #14 games, but it would be a little better.

henfan
November 4th, 2008, 03:25 PM

You do realize that the tournament is an NCAA-sponsored tournament? Minimum bids assure that the NCAA is able to cover travel costs for visiting teams, among other things. The FCS has managed to do a little better than break even with the tournament and even buy national TV coverage due in no small part to the existing bid system.

If you can devise a better financial plan for the D-I FB tournament, I'm sure the NCAA would love to hear from you. No one has come up with a viable alternative yet. A tournament that offers the arbitrary seeding of 16 teams would guarantee no competitive or financial improvements over the existing arrangement.

Appinator
November 4th, 2008, 03:29 PM
We had an NCAA notice put out to all of our students saying that if we stormed the field during the WC game, that we would likely not receive any home playoff games. Since JMU has done this twice, is this a real possibility?

mcveyrl
November 4th, 2008, 03:30 PM
We had an NCAA notice put out to all of our students saying that if we stormed the field during the WC game, that we would likely not receive any home playoff games. Since JMU has done this twice, is this a real possibility?

Twice?? xconfusedx

There's a thread on this, but I'm not sure what came of it. I don't think if we got a seed that they would deny a home game, but I guess it might factor into a bid type of situation.

Anovafan
November 4th, 2008, 03:51 PM
You do realize that the tournament is an NCAA-sponsored tournament? Minimum bids assure that the NCAA is able to cover travel costs for visiting teams, among other things. The FCS has managed to do a little better than break even with the tournament and even buy national TV coverage due in no small part to the existing bid system.

If you can devise a better financial plan for the D-I FB tournament, I'm sure the NCAA would love to hear from you. No one has come up with a viable alternative yet. A tournament that offers the arbitrary seeding of 16 teams would guarantee no competitive or financial improvements over the existing arrangement.

The NCAA clearly has a history of what it takes to run a break even tournament. Seed 1-8, give the schools a minimum bid number that they know will cover costs, if they bid it, they get to host the game. If the 1-8 seed turns it down, offer it to the opposing team. Odds are one team will grab it. Same thing for the other rounds, the higher seed gets the right of first refusal on the home game assuming they bid the amount the NCAA sets. This whole notion of TV is meaningless at the FCS level, it may bring in a little more money but it doesn't really help the exposure. People are always going to see FCS as a lower level of football. Appy may have won 3 straight NC's but anyone outside of us only knows them for beating Michigan, and that wasn't in Boone on ESPN2, it was on ABC at the Big House. The playoffs should be a level playing field for everyone, not based on geography or money, which it is now.

griz&beer
November 4th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I like the 16 seed thing too. Maybe they can get it figured out by the 20 team playoffs. 20??

BDKJMU
November 4th, 2008, 07:28 PM

People need to be at least semi literate to post here.

BDKJMU
November 4th, 2008, 07:34 PM
If they were to put all the games on TV I'd agree with you, but I think that part of what makes the playoffs fun is that usually the games are within driving distance and you can draw crowds. I've enjoyed Richmond playing Hampton, Furam & Wofford in the playoffs more than games against teams like Eastern Kentucky. You want there to be people in the stands for these games. Besides, when you start to rank from 1 to 16 than you have debate over whether a team is a #12 seed or #13 seed. Who cares? The top 4 get rewarded and have earned that right.

Now, if you're upset that teams like ASU, UD & Montana will always get home games, than I understand. Perhaps you change the current system and get the same regional match-ups, tell both teams they have to guarantee a set amount of money (say $50,000) and then if both teams say "yes I'd pay that" than give the home game to the team with the higher GPI (or some other ranking index). It may not be perfect and you may have some #8 at #2 games and some #9 at #14 games, but it would be a little better.

They could eliminate the problem by seeding the 1st 8. Then pair the remaining 8 geographically.

BDKJMU
November 4th, 2008, 07:36 PM

JMU stormed the field after ASU. What is the other game that you're claiming JMU fans stormed the field after?

BDKJMU
November 4th, 2008, 07:37 PM

You don't know what you're talking about, as JMU fans have stormed the field ONLY after the ASU game.

BDKJMU
November 4th, 2008, 07:41 PM
The NCAA clearly has a history of what it takes to run a break even tournament. Seed 1-8, give the schools a minimum bid number that they know will cover costs, if they bid it, they get to host the game. If the 1-8 seed turns it down, offer it to the opposing team. Odds are one team will grab it. Same thing for the other rounds, the higher seed gets the right of first refusal on the home game assuming they bid the amount the NCAA sets. This whole notion of TV is meaningless at the FCS level, it may bring in a little more money but it doesn't really help the exposure. People are always going to see FCS as a lower level of football. Appy may have won 3 straight NC's but anyone outside of us only knows them for beating Michigan, and that wasn't in Boone on ESPN2, it was on ABC at the Big House. The playoffs should be a level playing field for everyone, not based on geography or money, which it is now.

Yep, NCAA should seed #1 through 8, then pair up the 8 unseeded geographically. A #1 vs a #5 or a #4 vs #5 (YSU hosting JMU in 06') is just plain wrong. A #1 vs a #9 isn't a big deal.

When it goes to 20 teams in 2010 NCAA will likely give the top 12 teams byes for the 1st round. Bottom 8 will play each other, leaving 16 for the 2nd round. Again, top 8 should be seeded IMHO.

Appinator
November 5th, 2008, 11:06 AM
You don't know what you're talking about, as JMU fans have stormed the field ONLY after the ASU game.

I do know what I am talking about:

http://theapp.appstate.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4269&Itemid=43

In an informational memo, the NCAA issued the following statement, “An institution failing to keep its spectators and other unauthorized personnel out of the competition area before, during or after a contest during any round of the championship may, as determined by the football committee, be prohibited from serving as a host for the subsequent round of the championship.”

So with some clarification, if fans rush the field during a playoff game, the home team risks losing the advantage in future rounds. The time JMU rushed the field during the regular season should not hurt them.

james_lawfirm
November 5th, 2008, 11:23 AM
People need to be at least semi literate to post here.

nhuh-uh.

james_lawfirm
November 5th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Well said. I don't know how else to pay for these things. Contrary to popular belief, there is a reason why we ended up with the current arrangement. Change it if you don't like it, but if you do, you must figure out where else the $$ will come from. The NCAA will not agree to just taking a % of ticket sales. 5% of 6,500 x $20 is a whole lot different than 5% of 25,000 x $20. Most schools won't draw a crowd like App will.

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2008, 12:32 PM

I do know what I am talking about:

You clearly don't know what you're talking about, as you stated JMU fans stormed the field TWICE this season, when in fact they only stormed the field ONCE.

Appinator
November 5th, 2008, 03:08 PM
You clearly don't know what you're talking about, as you stated JMU fans stormed the field TWICE this season, when in fact they only stormed the field ONCE.

Geeze, relax on the caps bud. I had read on here that it had happend twice, but if it didn't my mistake. I thought everything I read on this internet thing was true.

jbuggASU
November 5th, 2008, 04:31 PM

Does how many times matter? You rush the field you loose home field. Don’t know if its true, just what I was told.

On a side note, I like how Texas Tech fans can rush a game 3 times in the last seconds and I haven’t heard anyone upset about it.

tribe_pride
November 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Does how many times matter? You rush the field you loose home field. Don’t know if its true, just what I was told.

On a side note, I like how Texas Tech fans can rush a game 3 times in the last seconds and I haven’t heard anyone upset about it.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1187756#post1187756 :D