PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings--11/3

JALMOND
November 3rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
I don't know what number week it is, I just know that it is November and we are winding down the season and getting ready for the playoffs (well, some anyway, others just winding down). Weber State got through a trap game intact and everyone else, including Montana, are looking up to them. That said, here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis).

1. Weber State (1)---First half heroics proved enough for the Wildcats as they held off Portland State, meaning that there are only two games between them and the outright conference title. Easy games coming up? This week a trip up north to the rival Idaho State team. Anything can happen in a rivalry. But will it?

2. Montana (2)---The Grizzlies seem to be clicking on all cylinders now, after destroying Northern Arizona's thoughts of a split title. A game that was supposed to be close was anything but. This week, a trip to Portland to face Portland State. Maybe a trap game as it seems the Vikings always make it interesting. Can the Griz put it away early?

3. Montana State (5)---The Bobcats, sputtering and coughing their way through a transitional year from one coaching staff to another, yet thanks to a hard fought win over Northern Colorado, find themselves at #3. Like Bobcat teams of yesteryear, their fate lies on the back of the defense. This week, a trip to the always dangerous Northern Arizona team. Will the offense come, too?

4. Northern Arizona (4)---The Jacks were supposed to rebound from the loss to Weber State by getting Sauer's first win against Montana. But that did not happen (for sure). No offense, no defense, no win. This week, they host Montana State. Will they find their team when they play at home?

5. Sacramento State (8)---Last week's semi-easy game to pick. A no-brainer to take Eastern Washington at home over the Hornets, and move on to the next. Except no one told the Hornets, who preserved a close win on the road. A big momentum as they head into their nonconference rivalry game with UC-Davis. A salvaged season can bring on rewards.

6. Portland State (6)---What can get worse for the Vikings than to spot Weber State 31 points? Granted a somewhat valiant effort made the score seem close and give the Viking fans a reason to stick around for the end. This weekend, Montana and all their fans come calling. The Vikings always give them their best, will it be enough this weekend?

7. Eastern Washington (4)---What is going on with the Eagles? A win against Montana State seems to get them on track to at least salvage what was left of the season, then they are unable to get the ball in the endzone in an ugly home game against Sacramento State. This week, a trip to Greeley to face Northern Colorado in a game that a couple weeks ago could have been a gimme. Now, not too sure.

8. Northern Colorado (8)---Last week's trip to Bozeman to play Montana State, a team the Bears beat last year, did not yield the same results. Montana State had just enough to once again give the Bears a close loss (but still a loss). This week, they welcome a reeling Eastern Washington team to Greeley. Good time to face the Eagles?

9. Idaho State (9)---And bringing up the rear are the Bengals. Fresh from an ugly road trip to Cal Poly. Will they ever get that first win or are they doomed to finish winless for the year? This week they welcome their conference rivals (and polar opposites) in Weber State. Anything can happen in a rivalry, the question is will it?

Breakdown: WSU ahead with UM not too far back. Big gap after then MSU, NAU, Sac State, PSU and EWU all pretty much together. UNC behind the conglomerate but within striking distance. ISU out of the draft.

Native
November 3rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
I...Weber State got through a trap game intact and everyone else, including Montana, are looking up to them. ...
1. Weber State (1)---First half heroics proved enough for the Wildcats as they held off Portland State, meaning that there are only two games between them and the outright conference title. Easy games coming up? This week a trip up north to the rival Idaho State team. Anything can happen in a rivalry. But will it?
Breakdown: WSU ahead with UM not too far back. Big gap after then MSU, NAU, Sac State, PSU and EWU all pretty much together. UNC behind the conglomerate but within striking distance. ISU out of the draft.

Small correction: Since Weber beat Montana head to ihead and is undefeated in conference play, they only need to win one of the two remaining games to win the auto-bid and conference championship outright.

The Eagles might have a chance at the end of the season but no way WSU will lose their rivalry game against this year's Bengal squad. The Wildcats OWN Holt Arena and are playing for playoff position.

Weber has improved since drubbing the Grizz 45-28, but I think Montana has improved more. Both teams are very strong. I would love to beat them in Missoula in the playoffs if it comes to that, but I refuse to handicap that game!

Portland State was definitley a trap game for Weber. Glanville may not have much to show for it this season, but those Viking teams are just dang dangerous and will not lay down and die! I knew their offense was impressive, but I underestimated their defense. On any given Saturday...

Peems
November 3rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Small correction: Since Weber beat Montana head to ihead and is undefeated in conference play, they only need to win one of the two remaining games to win the auto-bid and conference championship outright.

The Eagles might have a chance at the end of the season but no way WSU will lose their rivalry game against this year's Bengal squad. The Wildcats OWN Holt Arena and are playing for playoff position.

Weber has improved since drubbing the Grizz 45-28, but I think Montana has improved more. Both teams are very strong. I would love to beat them in Missoula in the playoffs if it comes to that, but I refuse to handicap that game!

Portland State was definitley a trap game for Weber. Glanville may not have much to show for it this season, but those Viking teams are just dang dangerous and will not lay down and die! I knew their offense was impressive, but I underestimated their defense. On any given Saturday...

They have to win both or have the Griz lose to win outright. Outright means there is no tiebreaker.

bigskyrocks
November 3rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
if weber wins one game they are garenteed the auto bid, but they would have to win both games or have montana lose to win the outright title.

Native
November 3rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
if weber wins one game they are garenteed the auto bid, but they would have to win both games or have montana lose to win the outright title.

Okey Dokey. :)

UNCBears2010
November 3rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
I really hope we're catching EWU at the right time, but I'm not hopeful of our chances.

Ronbo
November 3rd, 2008, 10:31 PM

That's incorrect. If you lose a game and Montana doesn't you will get the auto bid but the Champioship is shared. Both schools get banners and rings. The auto bid has nothing to do with a tie in the standings determining the Championship. A tie is a tie, no tie breakers for the Big Sky Championship.

I Bleed Purple
November 3rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
That's incorrect. If you lose a game and Montana doesn't you will get the auto bid but the Champioship is shared. Both schools get banners and rings. The auto bid has nothing to do with a tie in the standings determining the Championship. A tie is a tie, no tie breakers for the Big Sky Championship.

This is why I'm really rooting for an outright. Just doesn't seem as significant when other teams have the same hardware in their trophy case.

gbhmt
November 3rd, 2008, 11:01 PM
This is why I'm really rooting for an outright. Just doesn't seem as significant when other teams have the same hardware in their trophy case.

Well if everything keeps up in the Big Sky how it's been so far, then you're almost there.

Native
November 3rd, 2008, 11:15 PM

Straight from the experts...xbowx xbowx Thanks! xsmiley_wix

We Wildcats are kinda new at this football championship thing... :o

gbhmt
November 3rd, 2008, 11:17 PM
Straight from the experts...thanks! xsmiley_wix

I've got to say, on this board, the modesty of all of the Weber fans is endlessly refreshing. I'm ready for the playoffs so the Wildcats can take their well-earned opportunities to brag a little.

JALMOND
November 3rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
Straight from the experts...xbowx xbowx Thanks! xsmiley_wix

I've been following the Big Sky since 1976 (and pretty extensively since 1996). Seems strange that the conference does it that way, but they do. I guess, do you want the auto-bid or do you want the title alone?

Small potatoes I know, as you are in good position to get both. Maybe PSU can give your boys a little cushion?:D xsmiley_wix

Native
November 3rd, 2008, 11:32 PM
I've got to say, on this board, the modesty of all of the Weber fans is endlessly refreshing. I'm ready for the playoffs so the Wildcats can take their well-earned opportunities to brag a little.

Gracias, amigo! Allow me to return the compliment. Grizz posts tend to be intelligent, informed and on target, and I really really admire the PROGRAM you have built up over decades. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Been a Grizz fan for a while. Jimmy Wilson played HS ball with my kids. Awful sorry about what happened to Jimmy. xnonono2x xnonono2x

I also really really liked that little blonde I met in Jordan one summer (long long ago and far away)... and playing poker in the back of the saloon there... xnodx xnodx

Tailbone
November 4th, 2008, 12:55 AM
G......
I also really really liked that little blonde I met in Jordan one summer (long long ago and far away)... and playing poker in the back of the saloon there... xnodx xnodx

Ah, Yes! - the Saloon.......Licker up front, poker in the rear! xsmiley_wix

Walkon79
November 4th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't put the Cats at #3. We're so beat up on D and we're started Iddins in NAU. We pull that one out then I might agree.

Native
November 4th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't put the Cats at #3. We're so beat up on D and we're started Iddins in NAU. We pull that one out then I might agree.

We didn't have Eteuati at NAU. It made no difference.

MTGrizzFan
November 4th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Your rankings look about right to me. Thanks for the effort every week.

JALMOND
November 5th, 2008, 12:21 AM

I looked at it myself and I said the same thing. Then I took a closer look and wondered if not the Cats then who? Check this out...

NAU stay at #3 after two straight blowouts to teams they thought they could contend with?--No.

Sac State move all the way up to #3 from #8 with just two FCS wins and bypass both Montana State and Northern Arizona?---Couldn't do it.

Portland State after making two scores to make it appear the WSU game was closer than it really was?---Would have been a homer pick for me to put the Vikings at #3.

EWU to move up to #3 after a home loss to Sac State?---Made no sense.

Therefore the Bobcats by default.:D

CatFan22
November 5th, 2008, 12:52 AM

I think people are way overblowing the injuries on D. It's not as bad as you may think.

GOKATS
November 5th, 2008, 01:30 AM

Iddins will do fine. Todays two-deep has Kolone, Ogden starting. There may be some walking wounded, but they're Bobcats and if they can get on the field they will play.xthumbsupx

Ronbo
November 5th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I'm starting to believe that Montana just had a bad day in the pouring rain with 5 turnovers against Weber State. I say bring em' on again in the playoffs at Washington Grizzly Stadium and it will be quite a different game.xnodx xnodx

gbhmt
November 5th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I'm starting to believe that Montana just had a bad day in the pouring rain with 5 turnovers against Weber State. I say bring em' on again in the playoffs at Washington Grizzly Stadium and it will be quite a different game.xnodx xnodx

I concur. Although it might have been a rallying point, we've been absolutely on fire since then.

uofmman1122
November 5th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I concur. Although it might have been a rallying point, we've been absolutely on fire since then.Agreed.

I'm almost glad we lost to Weber, since it whipped us in the ass, and made us realize that we needed to wake up and start playing at our potential. xthumbsupx

Jackluv
November 5th, 2008, 11:59 AM
It would be nice to see how NAU would do against Weber or Montana or other great teams if they played turnover free. NAU shot themselves in the foot the past two games and you cant do that and still win against teams like Weber/Montana.

good test coming up against a tough MSU defense

Silenoz
November 5th, 2008, 12:07 PM

Agreed. When we took the 21-10 lead I thought it was gonna be a blowout win. Then the turnovers leading to short fields took the wind out of us and the defense collapsed.

Native
November 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
It would be nice to see how NAU would do against Weber or Montana or other great teams if they played turnover free. NAU shot themselves in the foot the past two games and you cant do that and still win against teams like Weber/Montana.

good test coming up against a tough MSU defense

The MSU defense could be a bit banged up. Not sure the Bobcats will put up an effective fight against UM. One advantage Montana (and Appy State and JMU?) probably has over the rest of us is depth. As the rest of us get banged up, they have more players who can step up. On the other hand, UM-MSU is a rivalry game where anything could happen...

Turnovers made the difference in Weber's victory over Montana, but as the Grizz themselves will tell you - in an admirably stand-up and manly way - turnovers are part of the game.

Turnovers were not the story in Weber's road game at Northern Arizona. That is just wishful thinking, as you can see from the stats:

WSU NAU
FIRST DOWNS............... 19 14
Rushing..................... 6 6
Passing..................... 11 5
Penalty..................... 2 3
NET YARDS RUSHING...... 74 113
Rushing Attempts......... 31 31
Average Per Rush......... 2.4 3.6
Yards Gained Rushing.... 119 144
Yards Lost Rushing....... 45 31
NET YARDS PASSING....... 334 138
Completions-Attempts-Int... 21-28-1 15-25-2
Average Per Attempt......... 11.9 5.5
Average Per Completion...... 15.9 9.2
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS...... 408 251
Total offense plays......... 59 56
Average Gain Per Play....... 6.9 4.5

montanafan
November 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM

I agree but, according to all the "post season seeding hype" everyone has Weber ranked higher than the Griz. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that mean Weber will have home field advantage over us in the playoffs? We will just have to wait until next year to get a little Washington Grizzly Stadium revenge.

Ronbo
November 5th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I agree but, according to all the "post season seeding hype" everyone has Weber ranked higher than the Griz. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that mean Weber will have home field advantage over us in the playoffs? We will just have to wait until next year to get a little Washington Grizzly Stadium revenge.

I'm betting an 11-1 Griz team that draws 25000 will get a seed over a 10-2 Weber team that draws 6800. That's if we both win out. If we don't it's all moot.

Native
November 5th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I'm betting an 11-1 Griz team that draws 25000 will get a seed over a 10-2 Weber team that draws 6800. That's if we both win out. If we don't it's all moot.

One thing I have come to admire and respect about the Grizz fans, especially the ones who post on AGS, is that they do not whine.
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

If Weber DOES get the seed over Montana, the Grizz are just going to man-up and play football. xthumbsupx

I Bleed Purple
November 5th, 2008, 12:59 PM
One thing I have come to admire and respect about the Grizz fans, especially the ones who post on AGS, is that they do not whine.
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

If Weber DOES get the seed over Montana, the Grizz are just going to man-up and play football. xthumbsupx

They've won the past four (correct?) games. Should have seen them after the loss. A good portion were fine, but outshadowed by some whining about Hauck, Bergquist, the O-Line, the officials, the weather, injuries, etc.

Ronbo
November 5th, 2008, 01:01 PM
They've won the past four (correct?) games. Should have seen them after the loss. A good portion were fine, but outshadowed by some whining about Hauck, Bergquist, the O-Line, the officials, the weather, injuries, etc.

And turnovers!xoopsx

I Bleed Purple
November 5th, 2008, 01:09 PM
True, although really only one was what I'd consider stupid. The option play with your fullback? The first pick was just a combination of a poor ball and a great read by our I think safety. The other pick was a dropped pass. The other fumble was a helmet on ball type of fumble, not too much a ball carrier can do.

Native
November 5th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Even though I am a referee (not football), I can understand whining about referees. xbangx

Most of the whining is ill-informed and therefore off-target, xrulesx

but bad calls can change the outcome of the game, and that really stinks! xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

bpcats
November 5th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I could see Weber getting the seed over Montana. Montana has been very impressive since their loss to WSU and beat a quality Cal Poly team. That makes the victory and the 45-28 win for Weber look all that more impressive.

Native
November 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM
...here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). ...

1. Weber State (1)
2. Montana (2)
3. Montana State (5)
4. Northern Arizona (4)
5. Sacramento State (8)
6. Portland State (6)
7. Eastern Washington (4)
8. Northern Colorado (8)
9. Idaho State (9)

In my opinion, the toughest teams Weber has played this season, in rank order:

1. Montana 45-28
2. Northern Arizona 42-14
3. Montana State 35-12
4. Portland State 31-21
5. Northern Colorado 17-10
6. Sacramento State 32-27

As you can see, Weber seems to play up for the toughest opponents. Each team offered unique challenges from which our relatively young team has learned and grown each week. Our struggles have mostly been due to self-inflicted wounds.

IMHO, Montana was the toughest. If Weber played Montana on a neutral field ten times, Weber might hope to win 6 of 10.

uofmman1122
November 5th, 2008, 06:28 PM
In my opinion, the toughest teams Weber has played this season, in rank order:

1. Montana 45-28
2. Northern Arizona 42-14
3. Montana State 35-12
4. Portland State 31-21
5. Northern Colorado 17-10
6. Sacramento State 32-27

As you can see, Weber seems to play up for the toughest opponents. Each team offered unique challenges from which our relatively young team has learned and grown each week. Our struggles have mostly been due to self-inflicted wounds.

IMHO, Montana was the toughest. If Weber played Montana on a neutral field ten times, Weber might hope to win 6 of 10.If Weber played Montana again next week, I'd be hard pressed not to expect a UM win. That said, based on how both teams are playing now, I'd think Montana could win at least 6 of 10.

The loss to Weber turned our young team into an angry team with something to prove again. xthumbsupx

Ronbo
November 5th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Whether we get a seed or not look out. We are putting some hurt on teams lately. The only team I'd be scared of right now is App. State at the Rock at night. We have not done well in night games. UMass, Sam Houston State, McNeese State, Portland State, when we play outdoors at night we stumble.xoopsx

Walkon79
November 5th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I looked at it myself and I said the same thing. Then I took a closer look and wondered if not the Cats then who? Check this out...

NAU stay at #3 after two straight blowouts to teams they thought they could contend with?--No.

Sac State move all the way up to #3 from #8 with just two FCS wins and bypass both Montana State and Northern Arizona?---Couldn't do it.

Portland State after making two scores to make it appear the WSU game was closer than it really was?---Would have been a homer pick for me to put the Vikings at #3.

EWU to move up to #3 after a home loss to Sac State?---Made no sense.

Therefore the Bobcats by default.:D

Well, when you put it that way...

JALMOND
November 5th, 2008, 11:23 PM

If Weber State does not get a seed, the game (if there is one) will be played in Wash-Griz. The only way it won't is if it is played in Chatty.xnodx :D

Native
November 6th, 2008, 12:39 AM
If Weber State does not get a seed, the game (if there is one) will be played in Wash-Griz. The only way it won't is if it is played in Chatty.xnodx :D

The NCAA football championship handbook lays out in great detail how the at-large teams are selected, but is curiously silent about how the top four seeds are determined.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. The announcement is supposed to be made at 7 PM Eastern, Sunday 23 November, on ESPNU.

I am not relishing having to play the Grizz in Missoula in the second round, but it would be sweet to beat UM twice in one year.

JALMOND
November 6th, 2008, 12:57 AM
The NCAA football championship handbook lays out in great detail how the at-large teams are selected, but is curiously silent about how the top four seeds are determined.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. The announcement is supposed to be made at 7 PM Eastern, Sunday 23 November, on ESPNU.

I am not relishing having to play the Grizz in Missoula in the second round, but it would be sweet to beat UM twice in one year.

Typically how it works is the seeds are from the east (usually the CAA champ, what used to be the A-10), the south (usually the SoCon champ), the midwest (usually the MoValley champ, used to be the Gateway), and the west (usually the Big Sky champ). I say usually because there are instances where, if there is a team that clearly is a top 4 team from another conference, the committee will make them a seed as well (McNeese State was a seed from the Southland last year). That is why I keep bringing up Cal Poly in these discussions as, when people talk about a seed out west, Cal Poly could possibly "steal" it from the Big Sky, especially if they somehow beat Wisconsin.

Montana fans usually do not worry about this as they will, in all likelihood, play their games at home anyway as long as they don't have to play a seed. Only the top four are seeded, the games involving those teams not seeded are played at the home team of the highest bidder, so to speak. Therefore, hard to outbid a team like Montana or App State, who pack a large stadium every chance they get. Yet last year, if McNeese would have beaten Eastern Washington, App State would have had to go to McNeese as McNeese was seeded (the committee would not have opened the game up to a bid). As it was, App State outbid EWU and the Eagles had to go there.

Confused? Good.:D

Peems
November 6th, 2008, 01:29 AM
While I agree the Griz have been playing hot as of late, I don't understand the sudden surge in confidence that we would be able to defeat Weber. While I think both sides of the ball have drastically improved, I still don't think we have the D-Line to stop Smith. HE IS A BEAST. I think it would be closer than what happened in Ogden, but to think the Griz would all of the sudden beat Weber? IDK. Weber hasn't shown any signs of slipping. I think if the game were played this saturday on a neutral field, I'd go with Weber by the slimmest of margins.

uofmman1122
November 6th, 2008, 03:10 AM
While I agree the Griz have been playing hot as of late, I don't understand the sudden surge in confidence that we would be able to defeat Weber. While I think both sides of the ball have drastically improved, I still don't think we have the D-Line to stop Smith. HE IS A BEAST. I think it would be closer than what happened in Ogden, but to think the Griz would all of the sudden beat Weber? IDK. Weber hasn't shown any signs of slipping. I think if the game were played this saturday on a neutral field, I'd go with Weber by the slimmest of margins.If Montana doesn't turn the ball over like we did in that game, I think we could beat them. Maybe not by a lot, and it would be close, but the Griz had a lot of mistakes in that game that they shouldn't make again if we play WSU. xpeacex

gbhmt
November 6th, 2008, 08:27 AM
While I agree the Griz have been playing hot as of late, I don't understand the sudden surge in confidence that we would be able to defeat Weber. While I think both sides of the ball have drastically improved, I still don't think we have the D-Line to stop Smith. HE IS A BEAST. I think it would be closer than what happened in Ogden, but to think the Griz would all of the sudden beat Weber? IDK. Weber hasn't shown any signs of slipping. I think if the game were played this saturday on a neutral field, I'd go with Weber by the slimmest of margins.

I agree that our D-line may not be able to stop him. But I do believe that our secondary can.

MTGrizzFan
November 6th, 2008, 08:50 AM
If Montana doesn't turn the ball over like we did in that game, I think we could beat them. Maybe not by a lot, and it would be close, but the Griz had a lot of mistakes in that game that they shouldn't make again if we play WSU. xpeacex

I agree...turnovers and bad weather.