PDA

View Full Version : Right Way for Transition to I-AA?

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2005, 04:56 PM
It's a tough road going from Div II to I-AA. This has me wondering about the potential problems that UCA would have with the move to I-AA, but I think they will be successful within a few years without question, but the first few years may be rough.

What does everyone feel is the right way to move from Div II to I-AA? Going full-throttle with scholarships to get to the max? Going slowly to get there over a few year span?

Here's an article on NoCo's issues and the coach mentions NDSU...

Depth woes sour UNC's transition year
Injuries, scholarship numbers handicap Bears' move to I-AA
By Pat Rooney, Special to the News
November 11, 2005

"We've got no depth. I don't make excuses, but facts are facts," said Northern Colorado coach Kay Dalton, whose team finishes the season with Great West Conference road games against South Dakota State and UC Davis.

"I'm operating on 42 scholarships. North Dakota State did it right. Their first year of their transition, they went from 36 up to 53. I feel bad for my team for putting them through this and going into I-AA with no depth."

Dalton's point has become more apparent as injuries have ravaged the Bears defensive front. Depth problems began when middle linebacker Thomas Smith, who had 95 tackles last season, was lost for the season after a preseason knee injury.

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/ncaa/article/0,2777,DRMN_23932_4229462,00.html

Tod
November 11th, 2005, 05:05 PM
It might be simple, but...the quicker the better, IMO. If you can go immediately to 63, you have a better chance of immediately being competitive, which will draw more fans, which will pay for the schollies. Might be too simplistic, but it's all I've got. :confused: ;) :)

Hansel
November 11th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Going Fully Funded right away also gives you the option to play money games earlier, see NDSU vs Ball St in 06, and NDSU vs Minnesota in 07

TigerFan17
November 11th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Its all about the resources the university has, and facilities etc.

rokamortis
November 11th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Going Fully Funded right away also gives you the option to play money games earlier, see NDSU vs Ball St in 06, and NDSU vs Minnesota in 07

Isn't a I-AA team supposed to have an average of 56+ scholarships for 3 years before a I-A can count the game for bowl eligibility?

Hansel
November 11th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Isn't a I-AA team supposed to have an average of 56+ scholarships for 3 years before a I-A can count the game for bowl eligibility?
It is now 57 over the prior two years

NDSU had 53 in 04 and 63 in 05 = 58 over two years :)

ronpayne
November 11th, 2005, 10:31 PM
How do you find out how many scholarships each team has - I'd be interested to know the SOCON statistics on that! Also, do they only count full scholarships or do they count partial ones too?

Hansel
November 11th, 2005, 10:39 PM
How do you find out how many scholarships each team has - I'd be interested to know the SOCON statistics on that! Also, do they only count full scholarships or do they count partial ones too?
GWFC schollie numbers are normally mentioned in the papers as the teams are going through the transition.

As far as other IAA teams, is they are routinely playing IA games, odds are they are at 60+ scholarships. Some leagues also require a minimum scholarship number (ex Big Sky, 60)

and by scholarships I mean total amount of money, a team can give out money to 85 players, but the total amount of money given out can not be greater than the cost of 63 full ride scholies

UNHknowledge
November 11th, 2005, 10:56 PM
What is keeping the University of North Dakota out of I-AA?
I think they should move up asap and join the Great West.

Tod
November 11th, 2005, 10:58 PM
GWFC schollie numbers are normally mentioned in the papers as the teams are going through the transition.

As far as other IAA teams, is they are routinely playing IA games, odds are they are at 60+ scholarships. Some leagues also require a minimum scholarship number (ex Big Sky, 60)

and by scholarships I mean total amount of money, a team can give out money to 85 players, but the total amount of money given out can not be greater than the cost of 63 full ride scholies

I did not know that. Thanks for the education, Hansel.

I guess I did know that you could give out half-schollies (or whatever) to kickers or punters (no offense to them), but I didn't know the extent of the issue.

Interesting... :nod: :nod: :) :)

Tod
November 11th, 2005, 11:00 PM

San Diego should do so as well, if they can afford it. They're already flying the length of the country, practically, to play their road games.

November 11th, 2005, 11:21 PM
I guess I did know that you could give out half-scholliesI-A= 85 full schollies
I-AA= 63 schollies sliced and diced as needed

TheBisonator
November 12th, 2005, 04:40 AM
It's because they are testicle-defecient.