PDA

View Full Version : CAA Week 11 (11/8) Predictions

GannonFan
November 3rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Short list of games this week as it’s all conference play and URI and JMU are on bye weeks – here’s my take:

Maine 14 UMass 17 – Big game up north as Maine continues their improbable trek towards the playoffs. I thought UMass was ripe for an upset last week and all they do is come out and lay 40 on Rhode Island. The game’s in Amherst where only Richmond has won in the past few years. Coen should have a big day for the Minutemen, but I think Maine keeps it close. I go with UMass in this one.

Towson 6 Delaware 7 – Completely forgettable game by two teams that just flat out stink. UD plays defense, but should actually try punting on first downs now as that could be their best offense (limited chance of turning the ball over). They should institute a running clock for this game as a nod to the spectators who will unfortunately be in attendance.

Richmond 42 Hofstra 10 – Hofstra just has nothing going for them at this point in the season while Richmond is on the edge playoff-wise. The Spiders are just too good at this point not to be a playoff team and I see them coming out with a lot of spirit on Saturday and rolling in this one.

New Hampshire 14 villanova 35 – Big game of the week for the conference (apologies to Maine/UMass) as the two Wildcat teams face off. I think UNH has been living on borrowed time a little this week and it comes back to bite them this week. nova was one “knock it down” away from beating JMU two weeks ago and still managed to slug all the way up to Parsons Field and beat a game NU team just a week after that. nova probably plays the best complete game (offense/defense) of any team in the CAA right now. UNH, on the other hand, IMO, isn’t a very good defensive team at all. I think they’ve managed to skate by for most of this year while avoiding anyone of note thanks to the schedule (just like UMass did last year). However, the wheels come off in this one and it could be even uglier than a 3 TD difference. nova rolls easily in this one.

Northeastern 21 William and Mary 42 – W&M’s last tune-up before entering the gauntlet of back to back weeks against JMU and Richmond, where we’ll finally get a sense of whether W&M is really a playoff worthy team this year. This one happening in Williamsburg makes it an easy choice, as I see NU just not traveling well and W&M taking advantage of the night game at home on the way to an easy win and the start of their season next week.

89Hen
November 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
UMass 27 - Maine 17
Delaware 17 - Towson 14
Richmond 42 - Hofstra 17
Villanova 31 - UNH 24
William and Mary 41 - Northestern 7

Bye 17 - JMU 14 hey, I don't want JMU fans to have nothing to complain about on the prediction thread. :p

wideright82
November 3rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
UMass 31 Maine 14

Delaware 4 Towson 6

Richmond 42 Hofstra 10

Villanova UNH (i dont like to jinx- Wildcats win it)

W&M 20 NU 21 (what the hell maybe NU will upset someone as they have been damn close to doing so)

JMU 42 BYE 49 - JMU has issues stopping ghosts, as most do, but every one knows that Ghosts are afraid of Rodney Landers. Bye wins with their team of Ghosts in a shootout on a pinballesque hailmary game winner xsmiley_wix

URI decided to go with a nice game of flag football this week and manages to squeak out a win in the off week.

mcveyrl
November 3rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
I haven't done this all year, as I hate to pick weeks when JMU's playing, but I'll do this one week...

UMass 35 - Maine 21 - UMass O is too much for the Black Bears
Delaware 10 - Towson 14 - The UD Defense lets down in the end and Schaeffer and Co. win in the last 5 minutes.
Richmond 38 - Hofstra 10 - UR is too good for Hofstra
Villanova 28 - UNH 24 - Close game. I think Nova pulls it out in the end.
William and Mary 31 - Northestern 7 - I wish that Northeastern would give them a go, but I don't know that it's going to happen in Williamsburg. If this game were in Mass. I'd probably pick the upset.

UNHWILDCATS05
November 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Villanova UNH (i dont like to jinx- Wildcats win it)

Good call!!! xthumbsupx xlolx

WrenFGun
November 3rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
I won't touch predictions this week (at least yet) considering my embarrassing effort last week, but I do hope that UNH can make a ballgame of it against 'Nova. I think 'Nova is one of the top three teams in FCS, and it's going to take a whirl of a game to beat them, but it's possible. It would surely put the doubters to rest.

If UNH gets blown out, this wont be a particularly fun place to visit after that one. ;)

UNHWILDCATS05
November 3rd, 2008, 03:49 PM
I won't touch predictions this week (at least yet) considering my embarrassing effort last week, but I do hope that UNH can make a ballgame of it against 'Nova. I think 'Nova is one of the top three teams in FCS, and it's going to take a whirl of a game to beat them, but it's possible. It would surely put the doubters to rest.

If UNH gets blown out, this wont be a particularly fun place to visit after that one. ;)

Wren, are you going to make it to this one?

WrenFGun
November 3rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Wren, are you going to make it to this one?

Unfortunately, no. The checking account is currently in double digits, and well below triple digits, so I can't afford it. I'll be at the last two games, though.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 3rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Unfortunately, no. The checking account is currently in double digits, and well below triple digits, so I can't afford it. I'll be at the last two games, though.

Can you fit a trip by the Cat Club into you game day plans for UMass... there's beer in it for youxthumbsupx

WMTribe90
November 3rd, 2008, 04:22 PM
Northeastern 21 William and Mary 42 – W&M’s last tune-up before entering the gauntlet of back to back weeks against JMU and Richmond, where we’ll finally get a sense of whether W&M is really a playoff worthy team this year. This one happening in Williamsburg makes it an easy choice, as I see NU just not traveling well and W&M taking advantage of the night game at home on the way to an easy win and the start of their season next week.

I am not this confident. Northeastern will come to play. They've come up just short on several occasions and are due for an upset. Playing at home under the lights should help. We'll need to keep running the ball effectively as we're without co-captain WR Elliot Mack. Defense had a great second half last week, but we're still struggling with consistency and putting together four quarters. Also missing co-captain LB Josh Rutter. Some aspects of our special team play continue to trouble me as well. though placekicking has been solid.

Really hope we can put it all together this week and play to our potential for a whole game. Margin for error will be slimmer than it was against Towson or URI and will get a lot slimmer next week.

smcwildcat
November 3rd, 2008, 04:51 PM
I LOVE all the doubters bring it on baby

smcwildcat
November 3rd, 2008, 04:51 PM
#1 rush D vs #2 cant wait...

tribe_pride
November 3rd, 2008, 05:07 PM
We are not good at home night games against conference opponents.

2008 0-0
2007 0-2 Delaware and JMU
2006 0-1 Maine
2005 0-2 Villanova and JMU
2004 0-1 damn you JMU

We have won 2 this year over VMI and Norfolk State though so hopefully this can be the 3rd night home game win of the year

madisonfan87
November 3rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
UMASS
UD
Richmond
Nova
W&M

UNHWildCats
November 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
im not allowed to make predictions on games... well I can but I face possible tar and feathering from the rest of the UNH crew here if I do :p

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 4th, 2008, 04:37 AM
im not allowed to make predictions on games... well I can but I face possible tar and feathering from the rest of the UNH crew here if I do :p

Nice job Travisxlolx xlolx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx

WildcatFan
November 4th, 2008, 05:12 AM

xnodx xnodx

Hoyadestroya85
November 4th, 2008, 06:53 AM
My prediction:
A hard fought battle between two sets of Wildcats
ultimately resulting in one team's jubilation, and another teams heartbreak

KAUMASS
November 4th, 2008, 08:02 AM
UNH vs Villanova...hmmnnn...I'll go with the wildcats here.xthumbsupx

WrenFGun
November 4th, 2008, 08:08 AM

There ya go. You're really shaping into form.

Old Cage
November 4th, 2008, 08:08 AM
This story by the #1 UMass writer should interest all here:

http://www.gazettenet.com/2008/11/04/playoff-bids-now-harder-come-caa

WrenFGun
November 4th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Can you fit a trip by the Cat Club into you game day plans for UMass... there's beer in it for youxthumbsupx

That I can do. I'll make a rare foray into the tailgating, though I'm certain I'll be a near nervous wreck over that game. UMass gets my blood boiling. Must be my Massachusetts roots.

KAUMASS
November 4th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Seriously..

'Nova at home by 4. I have no idea on this game..Wouldn't be surprised to see a low scoring or high scoring game here or a blowout.

UMass at home by 3. UMass has a better offense, but Maine's D is better.
Maine will control the clock on offense. If Maine runs the ball well(wich they do), and UMass's offense doesn't click, Maine potentially wins here.

Richmond by 10. Loss here by Richmond would be a complete meltdown.

WM by 7. Delaware hangs around for a bit, but WM too much.

andy7171
November 4th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Seriously..

'Nova at home by 4. I have no idea on this game..Wouldn't be surprised to see a low scoring or high scoring game here or a blowout.

UMass at home by 3. UMass has a better offense, but Maine's D is better.
Maine will control the clock on offense. If Maine runs the ball well(wich they do), and UMass's offense doesn't click, Maine potentially wins here.

Richmond by 10. Loss here by Richmond would be a complete meltdown.

WM by 7. Delaware hangs around for a bit, but WM too much.

xeyebrowx
And what about the TU NU game?
xeyebrowx

xoopsx

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 4th, 2008, 08:21 AM
That I can do. I'll make a rare foray into the tailgating, though I'm certain I'll be a near nervous wreck over that game. UMass gets my blood boiling. Must be my Massachusetts roots.

All the more reason for some Cat Club Nerve Tonicxthumbsupx

bluehenbillk
November 4th, 2008, 10:29 AM
UMass 24 - Maine 14
Delaware 16 - Towson 13
Richmond 34 - Hofstra 17
Villanova 28 - UNH 27
William and Mary 31 - Northestern 14

KAUMASS
November 4th, 2008, 10:56 AM
xeyebrowx
And what about the TU NU game?
xeyebrowx

xoopsx

WM by 4 . Northeastern will play tough as usual and will have some trick plays. WM needs to jump out quickly on Northeastern.

UD by 3 -IMHO, pickem' , too close to call.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 4th, 2008, 09:54 PM
UMaine 24 UMass 21, OT upset, Mass squarely on the bubble, UMaine alive & kicking strongly for 1 more week. :D

Towson 23, Delaware 20. Upset based on reputation only. xrotatehx

Richmond 44, Hofstra 17. Richmond solidifies status, No surprises here. xcoffeex

Northeastern 20, William and Mary 19. Huskies' string of "moral victory" losses turns into a real "W" in this shocker. xnodx

UNH 34, Villanova 31. Going against legions of experts here, but what the heck. UNH special teams comes up with kick return TD, then much maligned (but actually not so bad) defense forces key turnover late in the game to seal a huge "upset" win and close in on a spot in FCS tournament. xthumbsupx

JMU rests and gets ready to defend #1 status for following week. ;)

GoBlueHens83
November 4th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Maine @ UMass
Towson @ Delaware
Richmond @ Hofstra
UNH @ Villanova
Northeastern @ William & Mary

rcny46
November 5th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Maine @ UMass
Towson @ Delaware
Richmond @ Hofstra
UNH @ Villanova

Thank you.

smcwildcat
November 5th, 2008, 11:01 AM
is that love i see???

GeeWiz
November 6th, 2008, 02:32 PM
UD 24 Towson 14 - The Blue Chickens "breakout" against a bad TU defense to get the win

Richmond 35 Hofstra 7 - Spiders continue to roll

'Nova 37 UNH 31 - Wildcats have a better defense than UNH and that's the difference

W&M 31 NU 20- Tribe continues their winning ways as Huskies come up short once again

UMass 28 Maine 24- If the game was in Orono I'd pick the Dirty Cubs, but UMass is tough at home

Col Hogan
November 6th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Maine @ UMass
Towson @ Delaware
Richmond @ Hofstra
UNH @ Villanova xbawlingx

th0m
November 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM
This story by the #1 UMass writer should interest all here:

http://www.gazettenet.com/2008/11/04/playoff-bids-now-harder-come-caa

Good article. Sums it up nicely.

UDBlueLotFan
November 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I haven't done this all year, as I hate to pick weeks when JMU's playing, but I'll do this one week...

UMass 35 - Maine 21 - UMass O is too much for the Black Bears

Delaware 10 - Towson 14 - The UD Defense lets down in the end and Schaeffer and Co. win in the last 5 minutes.

Richmond 38 - Hofstra 10 - UR is too good for Hofstra
Villanova 28 - UNH 24 - Close game. I think Nova pulls it out in the end.
William and Mary 31 - Northestern 7 - I wish that Northeastern would give them a go, but I don't know that it's going to happen in Williamsburg. If this game were in Mass. I'd probably pick the upset.

Do you care to continue the bet!!...xeyebrowx xnodx xlolx

jstclmet
November 6th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Last week 6 - 0, 61 out of 75 for a 82%.

Initially I had UD beating TU 21 - 3. While I think UD will still win, I think the score will be a lil closer.
UD 6 TU 3.xboringx

I also had UMass beating Maine 31 - 17. Again, I still think UMass wins, and again I think the score will be a lil closer.
UMass 24 Maine 17.

W&M 28 NU 21. Going with my original post.

UR 24 HU 3. Staying with my original post, and trying to be kind to the HU readers. I'm not so sure the score will be this close.

Nova 28 UNH 20. I know what we have in Nova. Part of me wants to believe that UNH has improved over the season, but another part of me is not impressed with their body of work. Losing to W&M @ home throws up big ??xconfusedx This game will probably begin to define UNH win or lose. A Nova win would get them one game closer to the magic # of 8, and one game closer to a possible seed. A Nova loss would not eliminate them from the playoff pic, but it may cause Nova to be on the road in all of their playoff games.

Good luck to everyone but UNH.xthumbsdownx

smcwildcat
November 6th, 2008, 05:24 PM
TU
Maine
W&M
UNH....in thriller OT
RU

WrenFGun
November 6th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Too many people picking UNH for my own liking...we are and should be the underdog! It'll make me feel less bad if we lose!

89Hen
November 10th, 2008, 07:58 AM
UMass 27 - Maine 17 (20-21) xoopsx
Delaware 17 - Towson 14 (31-21) xthumbsupx
Richmond 42 - Hofstra 17 (34-14) xthumbsupx
Villanova 31 - UNH 24 (24-13) xthumbsupx
William and Mary 41 - Northestern 7 (38-17) xthumbsupx

I had a feeling about Maine, but went with my head. xoopsx

mcveyrl
November 10th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Do you care to continue the bet!!...xeyebrowx xnodx xlolx

Hey, it wasn't me that made the bet...

Anyway, I definitely missed the boat there. Looks like Ritacco (sp?) might be your guy...