PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Eastern Washington?

JohnStOnge
November 2nd, 2008, 07:47 PM
I remember hopes were high among Eastern Washington fans after respectable showings against Texas Tech and Colorado. Now they're 3-5 overall and 2-3 in the Big Sky. Looks like no shot at post season.

Did something happen with injuries or something?

slostang
November 2nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
New coaching staff.

I Bleed Purple
November 2nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
I remember hopes were high among Eastern Washington fans after respectable showings against Texas Tech and Colorado. Now they're 3-5 overall and 2-3 in the Big Sky. Looks like no shot at post season.

Did something happen with injuries or something?

Looks like?

Houndawg
November 2nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
New coaching staff.

xconfusedx So?

PantherRob82
November 2nd, 2008, 09:25 PM
Overrated and overhyped. I noticed most of their posters disappeared as well.

McNeese75
November 2nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
New coaching staff.

New O Line !!

Screaming Eagle was trying to downplay these two issues early in the year but IMO they say it all.

I Bleed Purple
November 2nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
That would explain Nichols' regression. The O-line, I mean.

Maybe also the passing only offense employed by a couple teams in the Big Sky have been figured out some, and EWU is paying for that.

Grizalltheway
November 2nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
Montana. xnodx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 2nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
Overrated and overhyped. I noticed most of their posters disappeared as well.

If EWU is the (fourth?) place team in the Big Sky then Montana and Weber should do quite well in the playoffs.

slostang
November 2nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
xconfusedx So?

Last year EWU had a very good coaching staff under Paul Wulff (sp?). He left for Washington State and took most of his staff with him. EWU has some very talented players and they were primed for a great year before the coaching staff left for WSU. Obviously the new coaching staff is not as good. That is what is SO.

cats2506
November 2nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
If EWU is the (fourth?) place team in the Big Sky then Montana and Weber should do quite well in the playoffs.

Weber State 6-0 - 8-2
Montana 4-1 - 8-1
Northern Arizona 4-2 - 6-3
Montana State 3-2 - 5-4
Portland State 2-3 - 3-5
Eastern Washington 2-3 - 3-5
Sacramento State 2-4 - 4-5
Northern Colorado 1-4 - 1-7
Idaho State 0-5 - 0-9

GreatAppSt
November 2nd, 2008, 11:28 PM
I noticed most of their posters disappeared as well.

Sure enough!

GolfingGriz
November 2nd, 2008, 11:33 PM
What I want to know is who is the best team in the state? Central maybe?? haha

KiddBrewer
November 2nd, 2008, 11:42 PM
ha i almost started a thread about this very thing just yesturday

GolfingGriz
November 2nd, 2008, 11:45 PM
ha i almost started a thread about this very thing just yesturday

You should, i think its very debatable that CWU is the best in Washington. THey gave us a much better game than Eastern did.

mvemjsunpx
November 3rd, 2008, 12:21 AM
That would explain Nichols' regression. The O-line, I mean.

Maybe also the passing only offense employed by a couple teams in the Big Sky have been figured out some, and EWU is paying for that.

Eastern isn't a pass only team. They run a balanced attack that leans pass (they also use a fullback).

EWU seems to have 2 major problems:

1. They lost 4 starting O-linemen from last year. Matt Nichols torched everyone last year, but he hasn't shown he can consistently play well with defenders coming after him. The run game has also been inconsistent.

2. The defense isn't playing like they were last year. Greg Peach is dominating, but the rest isn't going so well. The Eagle D has been playing better since the PSU loss, though. I'm guessing the trouble is mostly due to the switch from the 4-2-5 to the 4-3, but I'm not really sure.

JALMOND
November 3rd, 2008, 12:21 AM
I for one was very high on them, until we played them. Impressive the way they played against both Texas Tech and Colorado. The game against Portland State seems to have started the freefall. I have to say, after watching them in that game, I was very disappointed in them. They were not the best team we had played up to that point. I'd say Wazzu was better (much better I might add).

Keeper
November 3rd, 2008, 02:01 AM
1. Eagles were highly rated in pre-season but sloppy in summer workouts.

2. EWU showed some muster vs Big 12, although both those defenses were unknown quantities at the time.

3. In Big Sky play, Eagles have been unmotivated and undisciplined, committing critical mental mistakes at crunch times. Seems they thought were more than ready to tackle the Sky schedule.

4. The new staff (mostly from Central) haven't yet gained the attention and confidence of returning players. Maybe they will learn from this season for the next.

5. Strangely, it seems year after year EWU teams are better when underated and flatten out when highly regarded, don't ask me why.

However, they are very frustrated at probably being eliminated from the post-season now, are likely to un-choke a little and explode on some unsuspecting team. Watch out NAU & Weber!

Tod
November 3rd, 2008, 02:11 AM
1. Eagles were highly rated in pre-season but sloppy in summer workouts.

2. EWU showed some muster vs Big 12, although both those defenses were unknown quantities at the time.

3. In Big Sky play, Eagles have been unmotivated and undisciplined, committing critical mental mistakes at crunch times. Seems they thought were more than ready to tackle the Sky schedule.

4. The new staff (mostly from Central) haven't yet gained the attention and confidence of returning players. Maybe they will learn from this season for the next.

5. Strangely, it seems year after year EWU teams are better when underated and flatten out when highly regarded, don't ask me why.

However, they are very frustrated at probably being eliminated from the post-season now, are likely to un-choke a little and explode on some unsuspecting team. Watch out NAU & Weber!

Wouldn't that be a hoot?! EWU could knock off Weber and give Montana a share of the BSC title.

...Other assumptions apply... ;)

Grizaholic17
November 3rd, 2008, 02:52 AM
The Big Sky is more balanced than we thought ???? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

New Coaching staff can change alot of things. THey play hard, just can't quite pull it out

th0m
November 3rd, 2008, 02:58 AM
The Big Sky is more balanced than we thought ???? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

No, no that can't be it xsmiley_wix

Screamin_Eagle174
November 3rd, 2008, 07:04 AM
1. Most of the EWU posters HAVEN'T left; there are only 3 or 4 of us anyway, and I'm virtually the only one that posts.

2. The new o-line isn't the problem. Versus the dominating and oversized D-lines of Tech and CU, Nichols was only sacked 2 or 3 times.

3. The coaching staff is mostly the reason in my 20/20 hindsight. Beau's philosophy is the be the "normal" offense by having an equal run/pass ratio. But this is the third year our receivers and QB have been playing together. We should be 70/30 pass to run, but Beau insists we run half the time. He needs to take the leash of Nichols and let him play. Further, our Defensive coordinator John Graham has been calling mostly loose zone-coverages where we get picked off for 10 yards every play. That's how PSU put up so many yards against us through the air... that run'n'shoot offense is built around the short dump off pass.

4. Hopefully next year with the same corps of receivers and QB and a year with the new coaching staff under the belt, we'll make a run at it. This year was a complete disappointment; we'd have to win out to even have a winning record. Okay, so enough about EWU already. Forget about us and move on. There's nothing to see here [anymore] folks.

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2008, 07:08 AM
Last year EWU had a very good coaching staff under Paul Wulff (sp?). He left for Washington State and took most of his staff with him. EWU has some very talented players and they were primed for a great year before the coaching staff left for WSU. Obviously the new coaching staff is not as good. That is what is SO.

So? Coaching changes happen all the time.

eagle1
November 3rd, 2008, 12:14 PM
This has indeed been a very strange and disappointing season. The first two games against Texas Tech and Colorado were are two best games that we played this season. The offense made plays and the play calling was alot like last year while the defense was more aggressive and physical. Then, something happened with the play calling and the players not executing. I think another thing to add is this team has become very undisiciplined and that shows up in amount of penalities as well as the lack of execution. I am not ready to fully blame the new coaching staff but they have got to figure out what went wrong and fix the problem before the end of the season. EWU has the talent but the players aren't executing and the coaches play calling is not consistant for them to win. EWU fans are stuck with only thinking of what could have been. Go Eagles!!!

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
Same thing that happened to Delaware. :D

UNI Pike
November 3rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Same thing that happened to Delaware. :D

Problem there UD lost a 1st round draft pick, EWU lost a coach. UD is having QB problems, EWU is having _____________

already123
November 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
I was wondering the same thing...

People say that the offensive line is the heart and soul of a team, if this is true it explains a lot for EWU

However, NAU still faces a challenge. EWU is still a very capable team. What is scarier than playing a potentially explosive team, on the road, last game of the year, on senior night, when the team has nothing to lose...?!

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Problem there UD lost a 1st round draft pick, EWU lost a coach. UD is having QB problems, EWU is having _____________

coaching problems. xnodx

McNeese75
November 3rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
1. Most of the EWU posters HAVEN'T left; there are only 3 or 4 of us anyway, and I'm virtually the only one that posts.

2. The new o-line isn't the problem. Versus the dominating and oversized D-lines of Tech and CU, Nichols was only sacked 2 or 3 times.

3. The coaching staff is mostly the reason in my 20/20 hindsight. Beau's philosophy is the be the "normal" offense by having an equal run/pass ratio. But this is the third year our receivers and QB have been playing together. We should be 70/30 pass to run, but Beau insists we run half the time. He needs to take the leash of Nichols and let him play. Further, our Defensive coordinator John Graham has been calling mostly loose zone-coverages where we get picked off for 10 yards every play. That's how PSU put up so many yards against us through the air... that run'n'shoot offense is built around the short dump off pass.

4. Hopefully next year with the same corps of receivers and QB and a year with the new coaching staff under the belt, we'll make a run at it. This year was a complete disappointment; we'd have to win out to even have a winning record. Okay, so enough about EWU already. Forget about us and move on. There's nothing to see here [anymore] folks.

xlolx Glad your still around Eagle xthumbsupx

slostang
November 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
So? Coaching changes happen all the time.

SO......sometimes they are for the better, and sometimes they are for the worse. This is obviously one of the times that it is for the worse.

Is that clear enough for you? It is not that complicated.xoopsx

MaroonMafia
November 3rd, 2008, 02:15 PM

I'd have to disagree with you there; I think you gave up on the run way too early in the Montana game. Alexander was killing us in the first half and then you completely went away from it, long before the score forced you to go to the air. The other thing I saw was a lack of discipline. I can't remember the number, but I think we got like three first downs from penalties you commited after stopping us on third down in one drive alone...

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
SO......sometimes they are for the better, and sometimes they are for the worse. This is obviously one of the times that it is for the worse.

Is that clear enough for you? It is not that complicated.xoopsx

xpeacex I kid, I kid. Actually I was homering SIUs accomplishment in similar circumstances. Unlax.

89Hen
November 3rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Last year EWU had a very good coaching staff under Paul Wulff (sp?). He left for Washington State and took most of his staff with him.
And based on how God awful WSU is this year, that may have been a blessing for EWU. xeyebrowx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 3rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
And based on how God awful WSU is this year, that may have been a blessing for EWU. xeyebrowx

An Eagle fan could only hope that both Beau and Wulff get canned and Wulff comes back to EWU. We'd probably be 7-1 or 6-2 if he were still here.

slostang
November 3rd, 2008, 03:47 PM
xpeacex I kid, I kid. Actually I was homering SIUs accomplishment in similar circumstances. Unlax.

Sorry, I am a little slow sometimes. I do not know if SIU got a better coach because your last one was outstanding, but I definately think you got another great coach in Lennon. xnodx

already123
November 3rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
So is the coaching that bad or is it the players? which one?

slostang

Wulff took over a God awful team with APR problems and attitude problems. He is cleaning house. Sometimes something is so broke you have to completely tear it down and start over.

Wulff had the least resources of any team in the Big Sky Conference and consistantly produce a winner. He is in a similar situation was WSU. Give him time and he will turn that program around.

Green Laser

Was that why Nichols was sacked 5 times and intercepted twice by Sacramento State Saturday?

Screamin_Eagle174
November 3rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
Wulff took over a God awful team with APR problems and attitude problems. He is cleaning house. Sometimes something is so broke you have to completely tear it down and start over.

Wulff had the least resources of any team in the Big Sky Conference and consistantly produce a winner. He is in a similar situation was WSU. Give him time and he will turn that program around.

I agree completely. Although I do wish him the best of luck down there, I want him back at EWU... we need him.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 3rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
Was that why Nichols was sacked 5 times and intercepted twice by Sacramento State Saturday?

Since I was fairly inebriated and engaging a Cheney law enforcement officer in a civil discussion over the legalities of taunting/yelling obscenities to the opposing team from behind their sideline while in one's own stadium, and thusly and illegally ejected from the game, I couldn't tell you. xlolx xthumbsupx

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2008, 04:10 PM
Sorry, I am a little slow sometimes. I do not know if SIU got a better coach because your last one was outstanding, but I definately think you got another great coach in Lennon. xnodx

I'm starting to lean that way in my thinking, he's following a very good coach who left the kitchen stocked, but he still has to implement a new system with players that were recruited for a different one by someone else. It isn't easy to beat UNI with your whole package, let alone in your third game, having to play only your base defense and a limited playbook. We're not posting gaudy stats, but we'll be a dangerous first-round opponent if we get in the play-off field.

JohnStOnge
November 3rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
What made me wonder about it is where Texas Tech is right now. In retrospect Eastern Washington really accomplished something in being reasonably competetive against that team.

But it doesn't seem to have translated into enough success against other FCS teams.

I was also thinking of it in terms of McNeese playing like they did against UNC then losing to Texas State and Nicholls State. But, with McNeese, there are explanations. They lost their two "deep threat" receivers to injury by the first quarter of the Texas State game and plus they'd had a real problem in committing a lot of key penalties. Also, frankly, I think they're having problems with adjusting to the new turf on their own home field.

Just wondering what the possible explanations were for EWU...how a team could play that well against a top BCS league opponent then fizzle like that.

JALMOND
November 3rd, 2008, 08:15 PM
Wouldn't that be a hoot?! EWU could knock off Weber and give Montana a share of the BSC title.

...Other assumptions apply... ;)

Griz have to get through Portland first. Viks always give the Griz a good game (especially in Portland) and currently they are undefeated at home.

How's that for an assumption. Viks could give Weber a bit of a cushion.xnodx :D