PDA

View Full Version : Montana vs Northern Arizona Highlights

SeattleGriz
November 2nd, 2008, 02:05 AM
Click the play button when the new window opens.

By the way, the running back (#34) for the Griz used to play 8 man football in high school about 60 miles from Missoula.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/media_item.aspx?n=7532&m=18

Grizaholic17
November 2nd, 2008, 02:16 AM
great game for us. We are really looking alive towards the end here. Now for my trip to PSU!

uofmman1122
November 2nd, 2008, 05:55 AM
Wow...

I think has probably been our most dominant game this season.

Colt Anderson had a Buck Buchanon highlight reel day, Chase Reynolds and the O-Line destroyed the #1 rush defense in FCS, and I can't stop watching Tyler Corwin Air Jordan the RB block and make the sack at 4:33!!! xeekx

appstate38
November 2nd, 2008, 06:27 AM
Big win for the Griz.... For the benefit of Syntax and others.... Why did you run up the score? Why was the QB still in the game and throwing the ball when the game was decided? Typical Griz... Classless as usual!xrolleyesx

Great Win for you guys!xthumbsupx

P.S. Still alot of football to be played but if JMU,ASU and the Griz win out. You guys will have to make a trip East to see one of us...... The possiblities are simply awesome.

uofmman1122
November 2nd, 2008, 06:37 AM
Big win for the Griz.... For the benefit of Syntax and others.... Why did you run up the score? Why was the QB still in the game and throwing the ball when the game was decided? Typical Griz... Classless as usual!xrolleyesx

P.S. Still alot of football to be played but if JMU,ASU and the Griz win out. You guys will have to make a trip East to see one of us...... The possiblities are simply awesome.The way we keep improving and steamrolling, I'm not worried at all! xwhistlex

Okay, maybe just a little bit. xlolx

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
You played and beat a team that hasn't even played a team worth talking about except for Montana now obviously, Weber State, and Arizona State. Each of which they lost to. Montana should have an easy road through the rest of the conference season, should make it more interesting come playoff time when everyones drooling over them.

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
You played and beat a team that hasn't even played a team worth talking about except for Montana now obviously, Weber State, and Arizona State. Each of which they lost to. Montana should have an easy road through the rest of the conference season, should make it more interesting come playoff time when everyones drooling over them.

Nice job. EXACT SAME ARGUMENT can be made for Elon and Wofford. Yet you defend them to the death in the "Is the SoCon Way Overrated?" thread. You guys are laughable. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx WHEN Elon goes 9-3, they will have lost to the ONLY three teams worth a crap on their schedule. When Wofford goes 9-2, THEY will have lost to the only two teams worth a crap on their schedule? So, what do we know about the SoCon? The exact same thing we know about the BSC. There's one REALLY good team (ASU, Weber), one above average team (Wofford, Montana), and the rest, ?????. Do you not see the hypocrisy in your argument? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Ronbo
November 2nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
It's really nice to see Chase Reynolds coming into his own as a Soph. but is there a receiving tandum more dangerous than these two?

Marc Mariani 9 gms 45 catches 923 yards 20.5 avg. 13 TD's
Mike Ferriter 9 gms 34 catches 619 yards 18.2 avg. 9 TD's

Hellgate60
November 2nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
I'm very impressed with Papa Bear's running ability. It's fun to watch him run

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 2nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
I always make the 1st round playoffs in Montana, so they better get a first rounder. I don[t want the only game I've been able to watch them play in person be the loss at Weber xbawlingx

placidlakegriz
November 2nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
How can you not love the play at the 4:30 mark! Does the offensive guy feel a little silly?

Silenoz
November 2nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
Wow, I didn't notice Corwin's hurdle on that play yesterday

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
Wow, I didn't notice Corwin's hurdle on that play yesterday

The people in the bar I was at went NUTS on that play!!! xnodx xnodx xnodx

gbhmt
November 2nd, 2008, 12:46 PM

P.S. Still alot of football to be played but if JMU,ASU and the Griz win out. You guys will have to make a trip East to see one of us...... The possiblities are simply awesome.

Is this guy joking?

DuckDuckGriz
November 2nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
Man this team is fired up. I hope they stay that way - Colt Anderson seems to have a big play almost every game.

SeattleGriz
November 2nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Is this guy joking?

Yes, he is joking.

gbhmt
November 2nd, 2008, 01:19 PM
Yes, he is joking.

Okay I can never tell.

GrizRchattybound
November 2nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
I was there..it was impressive.

NAU is wishing they could wake up this morning and play that game over again, I assure you. The Griz looked really physical, knocking people out all day long.

gbhmt
November 2nd, 2008, 02:49 PM

NAU is wishing they could wake up this morning and play that game over again, I assure you. The Griz looked really physical, knocking people out all day long.

Quite literally according to Mike Stadnyk.

SeattleGriz
November 2nd, 2008, 03:24 PM

I wish they had it on the highlights when JD Quinn shoved that guy who jumped offsides. JD is plain old mean.

Grizball
November 2nd, 2008, 03:45 PM
SG, I loved that moment as well. And those were pretty much my exact words... "damn, that kid is one mean, sonuva-----"xnodx

appstate38
November 2nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Question to the Griz.... Watching the highlights of many of your games I am left to ask one question. It looks like you guys excute your schemes very well and you possess an accurate QB and sure handed WR's. How would you rate your overall team speed. Its hard to tell just watching the highlights especally against teams I am not familiar with. Yes I am seen some break away plays by your offense. I am not saying you guys are slow at all, just wanting to know how you rate the speed of your squad????

DuckDuckGriz
November 2nd, 2008, 04:09 PM
Question to the Griz.... Watching the highlights of many of your games I am left to ask one question. It looks like you guys excute your schemes very well and you possess an accurate QB and sure handed WR's. How would you rate your overall team speed. Its hard to tell just watching the highlights especally against teams I am not familiar with. Yes I am seen some break away plays by your offense. I am not saying you guys are slow at all, just wanting to know how you rate the speed of your squad????

Since I have yet to see the Griz in person this year, I can't give you the most educated answer. One thing I know is that we are going after the smaller, speedier receivers - Mariani is pretty damn quick considering how much he has to adjust to Bergquist overthrowing him. Smaller, quicker receivers (Wells, Farris, Segars to name a few) have been at the pinnacle of our most successful teams, I think this group compares.

Defensively just look at how well they swarm the ball - atleast in that highlight. I'm not saying they are App State or SoCon fast but they are decent. Not so much speed I'm worried about just awareness.

Ronbo
November 2nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Our wide outs are 4.4 to 4.5. #81 Tyler Palmer is a posession receiver, 6'3" 215 lbs, he ran a 11 flat 100 in high school and he isn't as fast as our 2 star WR's. Chase Reynolds is shown in the highlights out running some NAU DB's that are probably 4.4 to 4.5 guys. We have a WR redshirting this year that has the State record in the 100 meters at 10.4.

Hauck puts the fastest guys on defense. Our CB's are very fast and Colt Anderson is a 4.5 safety. We have smaller LB's that are mostly converted DB's or RB's from high school. They run 210-230 lbs and typically are 4.6 to 4.7 guys. We use speed rushers at DE verses big brutes there. Our ends average 220 to 240 lbs and are 4.7 to 4.8 guys.

Are we as fast as App. State? No. Who is? But we held our own with Cal Poly and that is one fast team.

appstate38
November 2nd, 2008, 04:28 PM
I wasn't asking for a comparision to the Apps. It just looked hard to gauge from the highlights. You guys have won plenty of games so you are obiviously doing plenty of things right. It seemed that you guys like to pound it with play action and then go for the big plays when they present themselves.

Ronbo
November 2nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
If you want a help to gauge Montana's team speed I'll tell you this. Northern Arizona recruits Southern California and Arizona. They are always very very fast, year in and year out. Now look at highlight again and you judge Montana's speed.

Green26
November 2nd, 2008, 05:29 PM
Mariani (receiver) - 4.37
Ferriter (receiver) - 4.54
Anderson (safety) - 4.44
Palmer (receiver) - has terrific top end speed but doesn't start as fast as other receivers
Schulte (receiver) - terrific acceleration and quickness
Kaz and Sambrano (receivers) - appear to have very good speed, but don't know their 40 times
Reynolds (running back) - has good speed, but don't know his 40 time
Johnson (frosh corner) - appears to have very good speed, but don't know his 40 time

All electronic times. I don't believe the true frosh (Sambrano and Johnson) have yet been timed at UM.

appstate38
November 2nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
If you want a help to gauge Montana's team speed I'll tell you this. Northern Arizona recruits Southern California and Arizona. They are always very very fast, year in and year out. Now look at highlight again and you judge Montana's speed.

Thanks Ronbo.... That answers my question pretty well I think.

srgrizizen
November 2nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Appstate38: Having seen Appstate on ESPN2 Friday night, I doubt if the Griz can match their speed on offense. I think the Griz offense would do OK against the ASU defense, but could anybody have defended Edwards et al Friday night?

gbhmt
November 2nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
I wasn't asking for a comparision to the Apps. It just looked hard to gauge from the highlights. You guys have won plenty of games so you are obiviously doing plenty of things right. It seemed that you guys like to pound it with play action and then go for the big plays when they present themselves.

Bergquist isn't as fast as quarterbacks on teams running option offenses, but he's quick when he needs to scramble. Mariani will outrun anyone if he's covered man-to-man. The commentators on TV, although not in the highlight reel, made a good point that on his longest run of the day, he flat outran a Buck Buchanan candidate safety. And the point made earlier in the thread about NAU's recruiting of speed is very very true, and is probably the biggest reason behind their successful (well, normally) run defense. So the Griz have some very quick players. Last year Biermann won the Buchanan Award, and his success was completely due to speed (BSC people all surely remember him chasing down MSU's RB 40+ yards downfield from the line of scrimmage). As a team, the Griz aren't as fast as run-based teams like ASU and Wofford and such, but there are definitely some very very fast players in key places.

Peems
November 2nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
Grizzly bears in general top out at 35mph or so, but are not known for their speed, but more their brutal maulings of opponents!!!

mtgrizfan4life
November 2nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
We have a few guys with wheels, Green26 times listed are pretty accurate. He left one very impressive speed guy off the list. Converted LB, now DE Severin Campbell is a 4.4 something guy. By the way notice number 47 throwing blocks for Colt Anderson. As for KAZ, if I recall right he was timed in the 4.5's at one point. I too am not sure, but the kid runs great patterns. I would like to know what Fetherston runs the 40 in. The kid flat out moves when he gets going. Is he a 4.6 or 4.7 DE?

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
Ugh....

Great game by the Griz!

Green26
November 2nd, 2008, 08:00 PM
Campbell's brother ran a 4.48 or 4.49, but I don't think Severin has run that fast. I was once confused about which Campbell had run sub-4.5. Severin has very good speed too, especially for a d-end. The Palmer twin d-end also has very good speed, and I believe was a sprinter in high school.

already123
November 2nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
im still depressed about this game...

Ill probably be hiding untill saturday

Peems
November 2nd, 2008, 11:59 PM
Campbell's brother ran a 4.48 or 4.49, but I don't think Severin has run that fast. I was once confused about which Campbell had run sub-4.5. Severin has very good speed too, especially for a d-end. The Palmer twin d-end also has very good speed, and I believe was a sprinter in high school.

You know their brother is Calais Campbell, the D-End out of Miami who plays for the Cards now? That family has got some good genes!!!!

Grizaholic17
November 3rd, 2008, 02:38 AM

I wish this was our scheme. But since Hauck has taken over, you never know what to expect. We pass when I think we should run, and we qb sneak when I think we should pass. But it seems to work.
As for speed, our guys did well with Wofford last year, and we got only faster since then. That's your gauge.

Grizaholic17
November 3rd, 2008, 02:50 AM

Just so you know, there is a difference between being up 31-3 at half, scoring in the first 4 minutes of the third to make it 38-3, and then not scoring again until the 4th quarter to make it 45-3...and let them have the last score. JUST SAYINGxrolleyesx
xthumbsupx

gbhmt
November 3rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Just so you know, there is a difference between being up 31-3 at half, scoring in the first 4 minutes of the third to make it 38-3, and then not scoring again until the 4th quarter to make it 45-3...and let them have the last score. JUST SAYINGxrolleyesx
xthumbsupx

31-0

WyomingGrizFan
November 3rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
doesn't Northern Arizona always win the Big Sky Conference Track and Field Titles every year? Always seems like it with them practising at 7,000 feet elevation and all.

Another good link, if anyone wants to see the entire game, quarter by quarter, is: http://www.grizcentral.com

dbackjon
November 3rd, 2008, 07:27 PM
doesn't Northern Arizona always win the Big Sky Conference Track and Field Titles every year? Always seems like it with them practising at 7,000 feet elevation and all.

NAU has one of the best cross-country programs in the nation, regularly finishing in the top 10. We sweep the Cross-Country championships as often as Montana wins Football.

Very good at Track, as well.

Grizo406
November 3rd, 2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks for posting those highlights, SG!

Always a treat to watch your team play/win a game like that. But you should have seen it in person. It was the most fun I've had, so far, watching the Griz this year.

And speaking of Mariani, I've met, and talked with him a bunch of times. One would be hard pressed to find a nicer, more pleasant, and humble young man that him. Always has tons of fans of varying age around him, requesting an autograph, or picture. He makes time for each and every request, and ends the encounter with a smile, and a "thank you" to the requestee.

Besides his playing ability, the thing that strikes me the most about him, is how young he looks in person...without his helmet and pads, one would be hard pressed to believe he was older that 15.