PDA

View Full Version : SLC Up for Grabs - Last Place Could Take AQ

TexasTerror
November 1st, 2008, 09:32 PM
Pretty sure I did this right. If there's any mistakes, let me know!

I just had to figure this one out because I wanted to prove that the league is wide open for the taking for even a team like SHSU that is 1-3 in league play.

Actually did not take much to figure out, but basically we need the below results to happen for SHSU to find it's way into an SLC automatic bid.

Chances are, the Kats will be officially eliminated on Nov. 15 (seeing as UCA will probably beat NWST next week).

Do I think this will happen? Absolutely not, but it just goes to show you anyone can still take the league's automatic bid this year. This league is wild and I really hope that it's a complete mess all the way to the end, to which every game during the last week has some sort of significance for the league race!

UCA (6-1)
N8 Northwestern St. W
N15 at Stephen F. AustinW
N22 McNeese St. W

SHSU (4-3)
N8 at Nicholls St. W
N15 Southeastern La. W
N22 Texas St. W

SFA (4-3)
N8 at McNeese St. W
N15 Central Arkansas L
N22 Northwestern St.* W

NWST (3-4)
N8 at Central Arkansas L
N15 McNeese St. L
N22 at Stephen F. Austin L

NICH (3-4)
N8 Sam Houston St. L
N15 at Texas St.* W
N20 Southeastern La. L

McN (3-4)
N8 at Stephen F. Austin L
N15 Northwestern St.* W
N22 at Central Arkansas L

SLU (3-4)
N8 Texas St.* W
N15 at Sam Houston St. L
N20 at Nicholls St. W

TXST (2-5)
N8 at Southeastern La. L
N15 Nicholls St.* L
N22 at Sam Houston St. L

TexasTerror
November 1st, 2008, 09:35 PM
My personal pick for winning the SLC AQ -- NICHOLLS STATE.

Two games at home against 1-3 SLC teams (SHSU, SLU) plus a road trip to a team they have absolutely taken to the shed in the last few years...TXST.

Colonels are in form and coach Jay Thomas has my vote for SLC COTY if they can close it out with three more wins.

bobcathusband
November 1st, 2008, 10:15 PM
Don't kid yourself Terror. This SLC is a vagabond league nationally for almost every sport including FCS football. It's embarrassing and it even embarrasses me even more knowing that Texas St. has the biggest budget by far and can't even field a dominant program once but every 20 years. After watching football this week in SM, around the league and on TV, I'm convinced App St. could drop 100 points on any SLC team if they wanted to. Every team in the SLC is lights years behind any of the teams in the top 5, even UCA. The SLC team that makes the playoffs this year will be fodder for whatever seeded team they get sent to, chewed up and spit out hopefully it won't be televised on ESPN. At this point is there anything the SLC leadership can do to address the competitiveness nationally of SLC football?

TexasTerror
November 1st, 2008, 10:22 PM
I think the league is still reeling from the Katrina/Rita recruiting classes and of course, the quality of our scheduling has gone down as of late. We need some better contests, so our teams get a chance to play foes that will put our conference on the national map.

We need more SHSU vs NDSU, NWST vs Cal Poly...limit teams to one sub-Div I team and one FBS team. Need to improve scheduling for playoff possibility.

Facilities are improving and that's good, but there's a few things the SLC needs to do -- i.e limiting amount of guarantee games in football and basketball and sub-Div I games in both.

patssle
November 1st, 2008, 10:25 PM
Don't kid yourself Terror. This SLC is a vagabond league nationally for almost every sport including FCS football. It's embarrassing and it even embarrasses me even more knowing that Texas St. has the biggest budget by far and can't even field a dominant program once but every 20 years. After watching football this week in SM, around the league and on TV, I'm convinced App St. could drop 100 points on any SLC team if they wanted to. Every team in the SLC is lights years behind any of the teams in the top 5, even UCA. The SLC team that makes the playoffs this year will be fodder for whatever seeded team they get sent to, chewed up and spit out hopefully it won't be televised on ESPN. At this point is there anything the SLC leadership can do to address the competitiveness nationally of SLC football?

I wouldn't agree with every sport, men's basketball was pretty competitive last year, but with football I agree. The SLC is pathetic the past 3 years OOC/playoffs. This year is unlikely to change.

TexasTerror
November 1st, 2008, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't agree with every sport, men's basketball was pretty competitive last year, but with football I agree. The SLC is pathetic the past 3 years OOC/playoffs. This year is unlikely to change.

SLC could improve basketball even more. It's a shame our best team (UTA) has no OOC home games against Div I teams. We need more teams scheduling better, but unfortunately, our budgets are not so well off.

A comparative study of SLC football budgets against other FCS conferences (not named the SWAC or OVC) would be interesting. Problem is, for the schools at the bottom end of the conference budget, the revenue is not flowing in. Would be nice if all of our teams could draw at the very least, 10k.

bobcathusband
November 1st, 2008, 10:31 PM

I meant to say sports that are competitive on a national level. Nw St. winning a tournament game 3 years ago was great for the conference but until we start winning more we will never get anything other than a 15/16 seed. Of course if Tx St's athletic administration would have gotten their heads out of their arses years ago and dealt with baseball facilities I think Tx St. would be alot more competitive nationally in men's baseball. Maybe we will. But it is what it is.

patssle
November 1st, 2008, 10:35 PM
I meant to say sports that are competitive on a national level. Nw St. winning a tournament game 3 years ago was great for the conference but until we start winning more we will never get anything other than a 15/16 seed. Of course if Tx St's athletic administration would have gotten their heads out of their arses years ago and dealt with baseball facilities I think Tx St. would be alot more competitive nationally in men's baseball. Maybe we will. But it is what it is.

We are winning some national games in MBB. Not the big dance, but OOC. But if we want to win games in the dance, we need to send the best team and the current policies of this neutral site tourney bullcrap doesn't cut it.

Retro
November 1st, 2008, 11:44 PM

You can exclude Mcneese from the football side.. Mcneese is the only team in the SLC that has been to the championship game twice in the last 11 years and has held it's own againest some decent FBS programs while easily beaten some bottom feeders and hasn't lost games to lower division programs.. Mcneese's problem as of late as been getting past first round of playoffs, but they have beaten some top notch FCS schools in the regular season in recent years when played, like Georgia Southern and South Dakota State.

Dallas Demon
November 2nd, 2008, 12:12 AM
Pretty sure I did this right. If there's any mistakes, let me know!

I just had to figure this one out because I wanted to prove that the league is wide open for the taking for even a team like SHSU that is 1-3 in league play.

Actually did not take much to figure out, but basically we need the below results to happen for SHSU to find it's way into an SLC automatic bid.

Chances are, the Kats will be officially eliminated on Nov. 15 (seeing as UCA will probably beat NWST next week).

Do I think this will happen? Absolutely not, but it just goes to show you anyone can still take the league's automatic bid this year. This league is wild and I really hope that it's a complete mess all the way to the end, to which every game during the last week has some sort of significance for the league race!

UCA (6-1)
N8 Northwestern St. W
N15 at Stephen F. AustinW
N22 McNeese St. W

SHSU (4-3)
N8 at Nicholls St. W
N15 Southeastern La. W
N22 Texas St. W

SFA (4-3)
N8 at McNeese St. W
N15 Central Arkansas L
N22 Northwestern St.* W

NWST (3-4)
N8 at Central Arkansas L
N15 McNeese St. L
N22 at Stephen F. Austin L

NICH (3-4)
N8 Sam Houston St. L
N15 at Texas St.* W
N20 Southeastern La. L

McN (3-4)
N8 at Stephen F. Austin L
N15 Northwestern St.* W
N22 at Central Arkansas L

SLU (3-4)
N8 Texas St.* W
N15 at Sam Houston St. L
N20 at Nicholls St. W

TXST (2-5)
N8 at Southeastern La. L
N15 Nicholls St.* L
N22 at Sam Houston St. L

Ummmm, okay. Mathematically everyone has an equal shot when the season starts too, but things are starting to pan out now with some teams having only a mathematical chance and little else (for example, SHSU).

TexasTerror
November 2nd, 2008, 07:46 AM
Ummmm, okay. Mathematically everyone has an equal shot when the season starts too, but things are starting to pan out now with some teams having only a mathematical chance and little else (for example, SHSU).

I was doing this for fun...don't have to get too worked up about it. xrolleyesx