PDA

View Full Version : Div I Minority Hiring Report Cards

TexasTerror
November 10th, 2005, 11:21 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AvKiqFKfwe9c7Z.V8pCqyD4cvrYF?slug=ap-minorityreportcard&prov=ap&type=lgns

2005 minority hiring report card grades
November 9, 2005

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Grades received for the 30 Division I-A and I-AA football schools that made coaching changes after the 2004 season. Schools are listed by overall grades, and include marks for categories of reasonable time, communication, candidate interviews, search committee, application to the school's documented affirmative action policy. (X-represents schools that did not turn in documentation.)

A

Illinois, A-A-A-A-C
Indiana, A-A-B-A-B
Ohio University, A-A-A-A-A
UNLV, A-A-A-B-A
Western Michigan, A-A-A-A-A

B

Dartmouth, A-A-A-B-C
East Carolina, A-A-A-A-D
Miami (Ohio), A-A-A-B-C
Mississippi, A-A-A-B-D
Notre Dame, B-A-A-C-B
Oklahoma State, B-A-A-D-A
Utah State, B-B-A-A-B
Washington, A-A-A-B-C

C

Brigham Young, A-A-A-F-C
Indiana State, A-A-A-F-B
New Mexico State, A-A-A-B-F
Pittsburgh, A-A-A-F-B
Sam Houston State, A-A-A-F-B
Stanford, A-B-A-A-F
Syracuse, B-A-A-A-F

D

The Citadel, A-F-A-C-B
Florida, A-B-F-C-A
LSU, C-F-B-B-A
Stephen F. Austin, A-B-B-F-C
Weber State, A-F-A-C-C

F

Marshall, A-F-F-F-D
San Jose State, A-F-F-B-F
X-South Carolina, F-F-F-F-F
Southeastern Louisiana, A-B-F-F-F
X-Utah, F-F-F-F-F

TexasTerror
November 10th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure who put out these grades and how fair they are. That's crap that Sam got a C despite having As across the board, one B and then an F. Seems that'd average to a 'B'. I've never bought into this stuff. SHSU has a well-documented affirmative action/anti-discrimination policy, which has been looked at very recently.

Seems the one mark against Sam was the search commitee. My thoughts are that in general, Sam is making great strides in hiring minorities. We are lacking at the top in terms of the big-wigs on campus, which really does hurt the hiring commitees for major hires when there's not really any minorities of rank on campus (interim VP of Student Services is only non-white amongst the Deans and President's Cabinet).

Retro
November 10th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Sorry, but this grading crap is just plain ridiculous! I'd like to see more minority/black head coaches in Div I football, but demanding and grading schools ignorant in itself... As more black coaches prove themselves, especially at the larger I-A colleges, it will create a ripple affect... It doesn't help when schools fail miserably after hiring black coaches like Michigan State and UL-Lafayette among others.. If croom and willingham can turn around miss state and washington in a few years, then everything will work itself out..

College athletics are big business these days and schools want a winner and that means hiring the best coach. I don't think they are going to ignore a black coach they feel will put them over the top!

headdressguy
November 11th, 2005, 12:07 AM
My favorite part is that Indiana State, which hired Lou West, who is black, got a C. All the other factors, like "diversity" of the search committee and number of minority candidates interviewed, are in place ostensibly to exhibit that non-white coaches are getting a fair chance. Well, um, I can't imagine a more fair chance than actually getting the freaking job, yet Indiana State gets a C. The report card is a sham, and I've probably wasted more time writing this post than the whole thing is even worth.

Hamptongal
November 11th, 2005, 02:53 AM
My favorite part is that Indiana State, which hired Lou West, who is black, got a C. All the other factors, like "diversity" of the search committee and number of minority candidates interviewed, are in place ostensibly to exhibit that non-white coaches are getting a fair chance. Well, um, I can't imagine a more fair chance than actually getting the freaking job, yet Indiana State gets a C. The report card is a sham, and I've probably wasted more time writing this post than the whole thing is even worth.
Don't feel bad, it can't be very accurate, think about it Notre Dame got a B. So whatever point they are trying to make the grading system is marginal at best.

bigbluetiger
November 11th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Sorry, but this grading crap is just plain ridiculous! I'd like to see more minority/black head coaches in Div I football, but demanding and grading schools ignorant in itself... As more black coaches prove themselves, especially at the larger I-A colleges, it will create a ripple affect... It doesn't help when schools fail miserably after hiring black coaches like Michigan State and UL-Lafayette among others.. If croom and willingham can turn around miss state and washington in a few years, then everything will work itself out..

College athletics are big business these days and schools want a winner and that means hiring the best coach. I don't think they are going to ignore a black coach they feel will put them over the top!

Why should a black coach be measured or evaluated based on the performance of these two coaches? If a coach has proven himself as an assistant/coordinator then he should be given a shot. All these guys want is a level playing field where performance is rewarded. Coaching in general is a good ole white boy fraternity espeically on the D1 level. The message they send is that black boys can play but don't expect to run our programs. You can coach (assistant) and recruit but don't expect to be the head man.

Sorry guys, call it the race card but that's the reality.

SAME OLD G
November 11th, 2005, 10:01 AM

Incredible! There have been a number of white coaches that bomb out all the time, only to be given another chance at another school. How the hell can a black coach prove himself if he isn't given the chance? Hasn't Karl Dorrel made some noise with UCLA?

gram4life
November 11th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Incredible! There have been a number of white coaches that bomb out all the time, only to be given another chance at another school. How the hell can a black coach prove himself if he isn't given the chance? Hasn't Karl Dorrel made some noise with UCLA?

He sees what he want to see.

Hansel
November 11th, 2005, 10:39 AM
A schools, record in 04, record in 05

A Schools
Illinois, 3-8, 2-7
Indiana, 3-8, 4-5
Ohio University, 4-5, 4-5
UNLV, 2-9, 2-7
Western Michigan 1-10, 6-3

B Schools

Dartmouth, 1-9, 2-6
East Carolina, 3-9, 2-5
Miami (Ohio), 8-4, 6-3
Mississippi, 4-7, 3-5
Notre Dame, 6-5, 6-2
Oklahoma State, 7-4, 3-5
Utah State, 3-8, 2-6
Washington, 1-10, 1-8

C Schools

Brigham Young, 5-6, 5-4
Indiana State, 4-7, 0-10
New Mexico State, 5-6. 0-9
Pittsburgh, 8-3, 4-5
Sam Houston State, 11-3, 3-5
Stanford, 4-7, 4-4
Syracuse, 6-5, 1-7

D Schools

D

The Citadel, 4-7, 2-7
Florida, 7-4, 7-2
LSU, 9-2, 7-1
Stephen F. Austin, 6-5, 5-4
Weber State, 1-10, 5-4

F Schools

F

Marshall, 6-5, 4-4
San Jose State, 2-9, 1-8
X-South Carolina, 6-5, 6-3
Southeastern Louisiana, 7-4, 3-5
X-Utah, 11-0, 5-4

GaSouthern
November 11th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I hate morons who live off of playing the race card

gram4life
November 11th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I hate morons who live off of playing the race card

Who played it?

gophoenix
November 11th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Sorry guys, call it the race card but that's the reality.

It is the race card and that isn't the reality of it. There are lots of black gusy who can play, but so far not as many black coaches have been successful.

If you're good at your job, you'll get a new and better one. Don't give me that race BS. This is 2005. And grading like this is racist in itself.

If fans don't like the fact that they have a white coach and want a black coach, let them lobby their school or let the taxpayers of that state reform it.

gram4life
November 11th, 2005, 11:07 AM
It is the race card and that isn't the reality of it. There are lots of black gusy who can play, but so far not as many black coaches have been successful.

If you're good at your job, you'll get a new and better one. Don't give me that race BS. This is 2005. And grading like this is racist in itself.

If fans don't like the fact that they have a white coach and want a black coach, let them lobby their school or let the taxpayers of that state reform it.

Wow, you have to be given the chance to prove yourself.

Retro
November 11th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Why should a black coach be measured or evaluated based on the performance of these two coaches? If a coach has proven himself as an assistant/coordinator then he should be given a shot. All these guys want is a level playing field where performance is rewarded. Coaching in general is a good ole white boy fraternity espeically on the D1 level. The message they send is that black boys can play but don't expect to run our programs. You can coach (assistant) and recruit but don't expect to be the head man.

I'm not saying all black coaches should be measured based on these 2 coaches.. i simply said if these 2 coaches turn around these programs, it will show many skeptical schools that there are quality black coaches out there if they are given reasonable chance!

gram4life
November 11th, 2005, 12:01 PM
I'm not saying all black coaches should be measured based on these 2 coaches.. i simply said if these 2 coaches turn around these programs, it will show many skeptical schools that there are quality black coaches out there if they are given reasonable chance!

You don't hold White coaches to this same standard, but in reality you don't have to huh?

Retro
November 11th, 2005, 12:07 PM
You don't hold White coaches to this same standard, but in reality you don't have to huh?

What Standard??? I think everyone should be held to the same standard, but we all know black coaches haven't been given as many chances on top tier programs, especially BCS conferences... With that said, i believe once a couple of black coaches turn around terrible football programs like Miss state, it will open some eyes to the skeptical...

Do you understand now?.. :rolleyes:

gram4life
November 11th, 2005, 12:11 PM
What Standard??? I think everyone should be held to the same standard, but we all know black coaches haven't been given as many chances on top tier programs, especially BCS conferences... With that said, i believe once a couple of black coaches turn around terrible football programs like Miss state, it will open some eyes to the skeptical...

Do you understand now?.. :rolleyes:

I do understand but it's not right. It's 2005 and people still need to see a few blacks coaches turn around some garbage teams before others are considered.

bigbluetiger
November 11th, 2005, 12:42 PM

I was not playing the race card. My comment was that most of you would think I'm playing the race card. The reality is that the playing field is not level when it comes to hiring minorty to coaches. Hell, Norm Chow led USC to back to back National Championships and could not get a hc position. The black coaches association is bringing this dark secret to the forefront with the grading system. Sometimes you have to expose situations to get change.

blackhawk
November 11th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Think about it, if a black Ty did what Price did do you think he would have a HC job somewhere now?

Hansel
November 11th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Think about it, if a black Ty did what Price did do you think he would have a HC job somewhere now?
Price was a succesful FB coach on the field, right or wrong, schools will always pick up a guy like that black or white.

bobcatfan06
November 11th, 2005, 04:07 PM
The ACLU is nothing but a bunch of racists anyway.

Tod
November 11th, 2005, 04:56 PM
The ACLU is nothing but a bunch of racists anyway.

Where did this comment come from? :confused: :confused:

JSU Fan
November 11th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Hell, Norm Chow led USC to back to back National Championships and could not get a hc position.

Even before that and after Norm Chow had led Lavell Edwards record setting offenses at BYU for years he was told he had no chance to be hired as his replacement. He was good enough to be their top assistant and be a card carrying member of the LDS Church, but not good enough to be their head coach.

Out.