PDA

View Full Version : Wofford is still a good team

drpnut
November 1st, 2008, 09:28 AM
First let me congratulate Appy, they whipped us!

Now on to the analysis:

Appy put together their best game against us and we had our worst
game of the year. If you take away Armanti's run, like we did, he will kill you with the pass and vise versa.

Our kick coverage sucked. Appy started every drive around their own 40.

Also, we turned the ball over 5 times. Those two stats and Armanti are the completee story of the game. Period.

I need to remind folks that Woffy put up 500 yards of O on Appy, so their Dfense is still suspect. However, they did take the ball away from us. The turnovers were not just our mistakes. On the fumbles they absolutely laid the wood to us.

I believe Woffy will regroup and execute flawless ball in the next three games. No body will stop our O. Also, at the begining of the year our goal, (even Coach Ayer said this) was to at least split with Appy and Elon. we did that. So I wish my own Woffy folks would quit bitching. We had a bad game, so let's get over it. If we win out we will sill host a palyoff game and I truly believe we can be a force in the post-season.

Appy, I believe as long as "Superman" is healthy they have a shot to demolish anyone. But they too, better develp a better D or someone could surprise them in the playoffs.

In summary: Appy is doing about what everyone expected. Woffy is doing better than most folks thought we would at the beginning of the season. Woffy can still finish 7-1 in the league and that certainly would eclipse one of our goals. Now it is time for the Woffy family to shut up about the App game and get ready for ELCid. Nuff said... move on, let's win-out.

Hoola

Eight Legger
November 1st, 2008, 09:34 AM
The moral of this story is, you don't want to play App down there under the lights, period. Whoever goes down there in the first few rounds better hope for a day game!

ASU88
November 1st, 2008, 09:38 AM
Well, I think the moral of his story was more about Wofford moving past this loss and getting back to focus on what has been and likely will be a great season for their team. xsmiley_wix

appstate38
November 1st, 2008, 10:34 AM
The moral of this story is, you don't want to play App down there under the lights, period. Whoever goes down there in the first few rounds better hope for a day game!

You may be on to something.... The Apps do tend to bring out the "A" under the lights at the Rock. Rep points coming

T-Dogg
November 1st, 2008, 10:53 AM
The next three games will tell us alot about Wofford, and what we have in the tank. I am not sure if anyone would have gotten ASU last night. I still believe and to all you haters..........hope to see you in the playoffs.

alexale23
November 1st, 2008, 11:04 AM

8 legger would you rather be in Apps bracket or JMU's

assuming you would make it far enough to play one of em. Shoot you may be going to play app in the 1st round there.

Hoyadestroya85
November 1st, 2008, 11:05 AM
yes, Wofford is a good team.. but it's ABSURD that they were number 3... i barely had them in the top ten

PaladinFan
November 1st, 2008, 11:15 AM
For those of you who've never played at some at App State, understand that it isn't the same as playing in front of 8 or 9k fans. It's cold, it's big, it's loud, and then you have the pleasure of facing the fastest team in the country.

This is not a black mark against Wofford, they walked into a perfect storm.

SideLine Shooter
November 1st, 2008, 11:17 AM
For those of you who've never played at some at App State, understand that it isn't the same as playing in front of 8 or 9k fans. It's cold, it's big, it's loud, and then you have the pleasure of facing the fastest team in the country.

Words of experience.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 1st, 2008, 11:18 AM
yes, Wofford is a good team.. but it's ABSURD that they were number 3... i barely had them in the top ten

What did Wofford do prior to the App game to show they were not a top-10 besides have one of the top offenses in the nation, have huge games offensively every week and put a score on South Carolina comparable to those of UGA, LSU, and Kentucky?

Sort of like ASU did against GSU in 2004. Granted App was 6-5 that year, we beat them worse than any other team in the Socon and the SoCon that year was not as good as they were this year.

Also, in 2000 when GSU won the NC we got blown out by Furman (xbangx) by 35 points.

Maybe this type of thing doesn't happen in the CAA, but it does in the SoCon.

Hoyadestroya85
November 1st, 2008, 11:23 AM
the number three team shouldn't lose to the number two by 6+ touchdowns.. i don't care if you're playing in front of 150,000 people and every player is as fast as usain bolt..

MountaineerGuy
November 1st, 2008, 12:20 PM
the number three team shouldn't lose to the number two by 6+ touchdowns.. i don't care if you're playing in front of 150,000 people and every player is as fast as usain bolt..

I kind of want to agree, but then I ask who else you would put in their place. A few people said this above...last night was insane. The record crowd, the lights, it's halloween...I don't know how exactly to convey it, but that was the most intense I've ever seen KBS or this year's team. I risk irritating some relatively fresh wounds when I say that's the kind of atmosphere I'd like to see one more JMU rematch.

For the record, DeAndre Presley's dive/crowd-surf/barrel roll into the end zone number 3 on sports center's top 10. It's gonna be a good decade.

Hoyadestroya85
November 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM
I kind of want to agree, but then I ask who else you would put in their place. A few people said this above...last night was insane. The record crowd, the lights, it's halloween...I don't know how exactly to convey it, but that was the most intense I've ever seen KBS or this year's team. I risk irritating some relatively fresh wounds when I say that's the kind of atmosphere I'd like to see one more JMU rematch.

For the record, DeAndre Presley's dive/crowd-surf/barrel roll into the end zone number 3 on sports center's top 10. It's gonna be a good decade.

Well the way both teams are playing at this it looks like the only potential rematch between the teams will be at a neutral site

AppGrad06
November 1st, 2008, 01:53 PM
Well the way both teams are playing at this it looks like the only potential rematch between the teams will be at a neutral site

That works for me!

DTSpider
November 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM

assuming you would make it far enough to play one of em. Shoot you may be going to play app in the 1st round there.

I'd just be happy to be in the playoffs. Both teams are scary good. Just on a personal note I'd rather have to play at JMU as I may be able to make that game and wouldn't be able to get down to Boone.

Chi Panther
November 1st, 2008, 03:20 PM
Wofford doesn't have the athletes they need to be Elite period.

They are Very Well Coached and scheme well. The level of talent difference last night was silly....

Eight Legger
November 2nd, 2008, 10:28 AM

I expect that when we make it we will be at App in the first round. I am rooting for the Friday afternoon ESPN2 game. If we could play JMU in the first round, that would be my preference, as we know how to win there, it's not an intimidating place to play, and we have some payback coming.

But we played well at App last year in an environment as tough as we will see in the FCS, so I'm confident our guys would relish a chance to go back there too.

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 11:37 AM
Woffords offense isn't run to come from behind, they get up and stay up. But when you get down it's tough especially against a team like App with the offense they have.

I expect Wofford to win out and hopefully have a game in the first round with Montana so the Terriers can once against shut up the Griz posters who still think despite not having sniffed a NC appearence in about 5 seasons think they are on top of the world.

Good luck.

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Wofford doesn't have the athletes they need to be Elite period.

They are Very Well Coached and scheme well. The level of talent difference last night was silly....

I disagree, this is what killed Wofford, (6'5 215 lb 4.4 40-time 42" vertical Brian Quick) against a 5'8 cornerback.

And Mark LeGree pretty much just snapping his fingers and appearing where the ball was having 8 tackles with 1 TFL a forced fumble and 3 interceptions.

And Armanti getting the ball to Quick.

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 11:41 AM

If you call Chattanooga neutral for Appalachian.xrolleyesx

Silenoz
November 2nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Woffords offense isn't run to come from behind, they get up and stay up. But when you get down it's tough especially against a team like App with the offense they have.

I expect Wofford to win out and hopefully have a game in the first round with Montana so the Terriers can once against shut up the Griz posters who still think despite not having sniffed a NC appearence in about 5 seasons think they are on top of the world.

Good luck.
Safe to safe we sniffed one two seasons ago...

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
...I expect Wofford to win out and hopefully have a game in the first round with Montana ...

Agreed! xlolx xlolx xlolx

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
Wofford is a good team. Just like McNeese. Just like Elon. Just like William & Mary. Just like Northern Arizona. All good teams, just a ways from being great.

4th and What?
November 2nd, 2008, 11:44 AM

Good luck.

Wern't they in the NC 4 seasons ago? xwhistlex

In before the Griz response.

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 11:45 AM
App's defense seems to be forcing turnovers at will, kind of weird they didn't try that against LSU.

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Wern't they in the NC 4 seasons ago? xwhistlex

In before the Griz response.

I was also counting this season as about 5 seasons because I don't expect them to make it past the second round.xthumbsupx I'd prefer them to be knocked out in the first.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 11:48 AM

Good luck.

Even longer since the Griz let someone hang 70 on them.

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
Even longer since the Griz let someone hang 70 on them.

Even longer since Montana played App in Boone in front of 31,000 people on ESPN 2 on a Friday night.

Silenoz
November 2nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
So much hate

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
So much hate

Just returning the hate from the SoCon being overrated thread.xpeacex

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Even longer since Montana played App in Boone in front of 31,000 people on ESPN 2 on a Friday night.

So nice to have the opportunity to show your dirty laundry in front of a national audience, isn't it? Gives us on the west coast a great opportunity to see whether or not Woffy is for real this year (um, let me get back to you on that).

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 12:07 PM

This year, the SoCon is App State and the rest. Just like what the east coast says about the Big Fluff and Montana.

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 12:15 PM
So nice to have the opportunity to show your dirty laundry in front of a national audience, isn't it? Gives us on the west coast a great opportunity to see whether or not Woffy is for real this year (um, let me get back to you on that).

And yet you avoid the fact that App did hang 70 on the #3 team in the country. Whether they deserved to be #3 remains to be seen. Having only one loss up that point and that one loss being to South Carolina, I say they weren't and still deserve to be top 10.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 12:19 PM
And yet you avoid the fact that App did hang 70 on the #3 team in the country. Whether they deserved to be #3 remains to be seen. Having only one loss up that point and that one loss being to South Carolina, I say they weren't and still deserve to be top 10.

Regardless of where you've been, giving up 70 this late in the season does not bode well for where the team is going.

Other side of the coin, scoring 70 on what was the #3 team is a good indication of where the team is going (and taking advantage of a excellent opportunity to showcase it to the skeptical west coast).

MountaineerGuy
November 2nd, 2008, 12:20 PM

That's what I'm hoping for. Two meetings split by a total of 4 points with the home team winning...what better way to settle the score?

Can you imagine the atmosphere?

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2008, 01:37 PM

Socon isn't overrated-we've just had very tough couple of weeks. except App. Nothing ever goes wrong for App!

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2008, 01:39 PM
BTW I think this game would of been better had we it been played at Gibbs.
Wofford-2-11 at KB
like 8-4 or 8-5 at home against app.

I'm not saying we would have won though.

GATA
November 2nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
This year, the SoCon is App State and the rest. Just like what the east coast says about the Big Fluff and Montana.

That's mostly because other team in the SOCON have actually won championships.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 03:38 PM
That's mostly because other team in the SOCON have actually won championships.

THIS YEAR, the SoCon is App State and the rest, simply said. Your top team beats your #2 team by 40 some points, currently big gap between #1 and #2 this year.

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
THIS YEAR, the SoCon is App State and the rest, simply said. Your top team beats your #2 team by 40 some points, currently big gap between #1 and #2 this year.

And they haven't beaten Elon yet. If Elon somehow beats app then it's a three way tie for first.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 03:45 PM
And they haven't beaten Elon yet. If Elon somehow beats app then it's a three way tie for first.

If App State can score 70 on Woffy at home, how many do you think they can score on Elon at home, being that Elon could not hold Woffy down? After this performance, one has to look objectively and see that the next three Woffy games are definite not gimmes (The Citadel and Furman at home, and a trip to Samford).

james_lawfirm
November 2nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
If App State can score 70 on Woffy at home, how many do you think they can score on Elon at home, being that Elon could not hold Woffy down? After this performance, one has to look objectively and see that the next three Woffy games are definite not gimmes (The Citadel and Furman at home, and a trip to Samford).

Borrowing your logic and running with it, App should score about 120 on Elon. That aint going to happen. Duh!

Of Wofford's remaining games, I think they will have the hardest time with Furman. Furman played App straight up on D & kept AE in the pocket better than anyone yet.

I also think that any other team that hopes to draw Wofford in the playoffs is in for a big surprise. They still are a top five team.

mcveyrl
November 2nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Borrowing your logic and running with it, App should score about 120 on Elon. That aint going to happen. Duh!

Of Wofford's remaining games, I think they will have the hardest time with Furman. Furman played App straight up on D & kept AE in the pocket better than anyone yet.

I also think that any other team that hopes to draw Wofford in the playoffs is in for a big surprise. They still are a top five team.

I got to watch most of the game Friday night, but the way I see it, the difference in Wofford and JMU right now is a 99 yard kickoff return to start the second half.

The game in Harrisonburg could've spun out of control very quickly if we didn't get on the board quick, and we did. I will say that our D showed up in the second half too and Wofford's didn't seem to. All that being said, Wofford most definitely is a good team, probably very good. They just ran into a locomotive and couldn't find the brake.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM

Never said App would/could score 120 on Elon, just implied that App could possibly score 70 again on them (sorry, did not know I had to make myself more clearer than I did).

I also do not see how they could be a top 5 team, looking from the perspective of the whole national picture. I don't see them being in the top 10 based on that performance. After Friday, Wofford has a lot of work to do to even approach top 10. If you research how many teams have given up 70 points in a game this year, you'd have a bunch of bottom feeders. Even App State did not score 70 on Jacksonville this year.

Jerbearasu
November 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM

This was one game. Wofford obviously had a bad game and ended up buckling when things got bad. If the SoCon is App and only App how do you explain the fact that App had such a scare down in Statesboro against a team that already had 2 conference losses? I think every Mountaineer fan feels relieved to have left there with a W. Also, Samford who isn't even in the top half of the conference had ASU on their heels in that game and they only survived with an 11 point win. Yes, App put together a near perfect game against Wofford and a lot went wrong with Wofford but the SoCon is still as tough as advertised.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
This was one game. Wofford obviously had a bad game and ended up buckling when things got bad. If the SoCon is App and only App how do you explain the fact that App had such a scare down in Statesboro against a team that already had 2 conference losses? I think every Mountaineer fan feels relieved to have left there with a W. Also, Samford who isn't even in the top half of the conference had ASU on their heels in that game and they only survived with an 11 point win. Yes, App put together a near perfect game against Wofford and a lot went wrong with Wofford but the SoCon is still as tough as advertised.

Roles are reversed this year. When Weber State beat Montana this year (and Eastern Washington threw a scare into Montana last year) there was nothing from the east coast that said that Weber State was any good this year (or EWU last year) just the same crap of "Geez, what happened to Montana this week". I guess, with those two close games, we have the opportunity to look back and say "Geez, what happened to App that week".

The top teams will find ways to win. Even I know how tough Statesboro is, so to win there is a good win regardless of the margin. Clearly, especially after these last two weeks and what App was able to do to the #2 SoCon team, there is a big gap between App and the rest of the SoCon this year. App is #1, the rest are fighting for #2.

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
App's defense seems to be forcing turnovers at will, kind of weird they didn't try that against LSU.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

james_lawfirm
November 2nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
I got to watch most of the game Friday night, but the way I see it, the difference in Wofford and JMU right now is a 99 yard kickoff return to start the second half.

The game in Harrisonburg could've spun out of control very quickly if we didn't get on the board quick, and we did. I will say that our D showed up in the second half too and Wofford's didn't seem to. All that being said, Wofford most definitely is a good team, probably very good. They just ran into a locomotive and couldn't find the brake.

McV:
Not sure I agree. If Wofford gets down by 2 TDs, their offense must go into "passing mode". They are MUCH better if they get to control the game tempo & TOP. JMU's special teams got the game jump started in the 2nd half, and Landers adjusted to what was needed better than Wofford can. Then, there are the turnovers. Wofford gave us 5. JMU picked up at least 1 that I remember.

Thus JMU > Wofford. If there is a rematch b/w JMU & ASU, I'm hoping it will be in Chatty.

terrierbob
November 3rd, 2008, 12:57 PM
What did Wofford do prior to the App game to show they were not a top-10 besides have one of the top offenses in the nation, have huge games offensively every week and put a score on South Carolina comparable to those of UGA, LSU, and Kentucky?

Sort of like ASU did against GSU in 2004. Granted App was 6-5 that year, we beat them worse than any other team in the Socon and the SoCon that year was not as good as they were this year.

Also, in 2000 when GSU won the NC we got blown out by Furman (xbangx) by 35 points.

Maybe this type of thing doesn't happen in the CAA, but it does in the SoCon.

Rep points for most encouraging post ever (for me).

elon77
November 3rd, 2008, 01:59 PM

But, they could have lost at GSU just as easily as they won, they were a little lucky to get out of there with a win. They also had pretty close calls with both Samford and Furman. I don't think the gap is as big as you imply, their schedule has been a plus for them this year also. They have played most of the better Socon teams at home, which is a big advantage. They are good don't get me wrong, but sometime other factors come into play. Don't you think if this years JMU game had been in Boone there might have been a different outcome?

Yosef84
November 3rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Socon isn't overrated-we've just had very tough couple of weeks. except App. Nothing ever goes wrong for App!

Need I remind you about Wofford and GSU last year? I would say that those went wrong for us.

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Need I remind you about Wofford and GSU last year? I would say that those went wrong for us.

..and then they won the championship. when something bad has happened to app in the last three years it hasn't been catastrophic

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM

The difference is that Elon has a faster defense. What people never understand about Wofford is that our defense is a zone D because we don't have as much speed and can't hold a man on man coverage. Elon has more talent and can do this.

If your team is playing in a different conference you shouldn't judge another team because of one bad game. This is why I stay in the Socon. Yes Wofford got blown out but we were WAY better than what we showed. I hope other teams take us as lightly as some of the non-socon posters here do. They would be shocked.

Black Saturday
November 4th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Never said App would/could score 120 on Elon, just implied that App could possibly score 70 again on them (sorry, did not know I had to make myself more clearer than I did).

I also do not see how they could be a top 5 team, looking from the perspective of the whole national picture. I don't see them being in the top 10 based on that performance. After Friday, Wofford has a lot of work to do to even approach top 10. If you research how many teams have given up 70 points in a game this year, you'd have a bunch of bottom feeders. Even App State did not score 70 on Jacksonville this year.

I think you are shooting from the hip about Wofford because of one game. The score of APP vs. Wofford is not indicative of how good Wofford is this year. Wofford is a top 5 FCS team and they will show everyone in the playoffs. Wofford ran into a young offense that hit nearly its potential Friday night. Wofford helped compound the situation by taking their poison of trying to limit AE from beating them with his legs. Instead he beat them with his arm. As far as scoring 70 on Jacksonville, PC, Citadel, or Samford, APP could have named their score in those games. No one wants to see Wofford in the playoffs with their option attack. They will be a tough out. Just ask Mighty Montana and Richmond from last year.