PDA

View Full Version : Did Appalachian State Run Up The Score?

Syntax Error
October 31st, 2008, 10:33 PM
I just have to laugh but I'll post this poll anyway.

When App St beat Wofford by 46 points tonight, did you think it was inappropriate for them to be trying long pass plays and going for it --------- on fourth down?

If anyone wants to see the play by play just look here (http://www.goasu.com/liveStats/newLiveStats.dbml?SPSID=104460&DB_OEM_ID=&DB_LANG=C&KEY=&SPID=12811&SPORT_ID=12811&GAME_STAT_ID=91287).

millwoga1
October 31st, 2008, 10:34 PM
no

appstate38
October 31st, 2008, 10:35 PM
Well maybe just a little.... But read my tag line to get a true answer for how I feel.

ToTheLeft
October 31st, 2008, 10:35 PM
Nope. This is college football. Not tee-ball. If you don't want the other team to score, stop them.

WUTNDITWAA
October 31st, 2008, 10:36 PM
GIRLS DON'T PLAY THE GAME. xrolleyesx

jonmac
October 31st, 2008, 10:36 PM
Did Appalachian State Run Up The Score?

When App St beat Wofford by 46 points tonight, did you think it was inappropriate for them to be trying long pass plays and going for it multiple times on fourth down?

If anyone wants to see the play by play just look here (http://www.goasu.com/liveStats/newLiveStats.dbml?SPSID=104460&DB_OEM_ID=&DB_LANG=C&KEY=&SPID=12811&SPORT_ID=12811&GAME_STAT_ID=91287).

Why not just take this crap straight to the smack board? It's gonna end up there anyway. Thanks.

ASU88
October 31st, 2008, 10:39 PM
2nd and 3rd stringers don't want to go in and kneel down. They want to get experience and get in on the action.

Waaaaaaahhhhhhh!

alexale23
October 31st, 2008, 10:39 PM
NO STOP CRYIN

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 31st, 2008, 10:40 PM
2nd and 3rd stringers don't want to go in and kneel down. They want to get experience and get in on the action.

Waaaaaaahhhhhhh!

^ this

BestOfBreed
October 31st, 2008, 10:41 PM
Such is life. Makes App look bad when the announcers are calling them out for having starters in at the end and punching it in :)

Syntax Error
October 31st, 2008, 10:42 PM
Wow, the response is very telling. I guess all teams up by 40+ points should be trying to score more until the clock ends. What did it for me was App going for it on fourth down on THEIR VERY LAST POSSESSION! NO KNEE!

eaglewraith
We beat App State 54-7 in 2004...difference of 47 points.

I don't think we ran up the score then, so I have to say no tonight.

Although I wish Wofford could have put up more of a fight.

Reign of Terrier
Could of cared less about the score, It's how they scored. You don't NEED to pass.

uofmman1122
Yes, but I don't think it's as bad, since they did it with their back-ups.

Had it been Armanti out there until the end, piling on the points, then it's shameful.

But damn...that backup you guys have is gonna be pretty stellar. xeekx

Appaholic
October 31st, 2008, 10:43 PM
Does the Pope ***** in the woods? Do the Chinese believe a dirt mound is more valuable than a human life?

Reign of Terrier
October 31st, 2008, 10:43 PM
Wow, the response is very telling. I guess all teams up by 40+ points should be trying to score more until the clock ends. What did it for me was App going for it on fourth down on THEIR VERY LAST POSSESSION! NO KNEE!

Exactly my point, if that's not running up the score what is?

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 31st, 2008, 10:44 PM

If it was AE in the game I'd certainly agree. But it's the backup QB.

GOKATS
October 31st, 2008, 10:44 PM
Hell no, stupid f'ing poll. xnodx

App. St. couldn't help but score tonight without putting the cheer squad in.

Syntax Error
October 31st, 2008, 10:46 PM
Does the Pope ***** in the woods? Do the Chinese believe a dirt mound is more valuable than a human life?Whatever that means. Probably need to put down the alcoholic. xrolleyesx

WUTNDITWAA
October 31st, 2008, 10:46 PM
If App had lost 70-24 the very last of my worries would be about the other team running up the score.

Appaholic
October 31st, 2008, 10:48 PM

Wow, the origins of this poll is very telling. I guess all posters who get their panties in a wad should start polls about a their least favorite AFTER CALLING OUT THEIR FANS FOR NOT PAYING! CLASSY!

appstate38
October 31st, 2008, 10:48 PM
We beat App State 54-7 in 2004...difference of 47 points.

I don't think we ran up the score then, so I have to say no tonight.

Although I wish Wofford could have put up more of a fight.

You know here the thing that I like about this post. If you dish it out you had better be ready to take it. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
October 31st, 2008, 10:49 PM
If it was AE in the game I'd certainly agree. But it's the backup QB.

but your still up 40 points it's called insult to injury

ASU88
October 31st, 2008, 10:49 PM
Yes, they ran up the score. You can't score 70 without running up the score.

The real question is: Should they have quit running their offense when the backups came in, or is it OK to get them game experience they might need later in the season?

Appaholic
October 31st, 2008, 10:50 PM
If App had lost 70-24 the very last of my worries would be about the other team running up the score.

You're right...but I guess that quality may have something to do with why we have 3 NC's and Wofford has zero......blaming the other team for them losing....that'll get you far....

DLS
hey look! another failure for syntax error!

way to go admin!

GreatAppSt
------------> SMACK!

Syntax Error
October 31st, 2008, 10:51 PM
... NOT... CLASSY!Yep, no classy!

appvette
Ok... maybe we should put in the 3rd string when we're up by 21. That's what JMU said. Stupid thread... really.

Appaholic
but your still up 40 points it's called insult to injury

It's also called whining....great, we should have not passed on 4th down, but we did.....but we did have a 5th string TB scoring a touchdown and a 2nd string QB scoring......

Reign of Terrier
October 31st, 2008, 10:54 PM
It's also called whining....great, we should have not passed on 4th down, but we did.....but we did have a 5th string TB scoring a touchdown and a 2nd string QB scoring......

Yes exactly, when you are up as much as you are. your D is playing fine. you don't need to go for it.

Syntax Error
October 31st, 2008, 10:55 PM
You know here the thing that I like about this post. If you dish it out you had better be ready to take it. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupxFunny thing though, I was at that game and GSU didn't have their first string in when they were up by 40 and weren't going for it on fourth down and weren't throwing long bombs. I bet Jerry Moore was not happy either.

CamelCityAppFan
October 31st, 2008, 10:59 PM
Just remember this:

#2 ASU vs #3 WC

This wasn't ASU against some lower division punching bag, this was second best in the nation versus 3rd best, and the de-facto SoCon Championship game (at least for now).

It was Wofford's job to stop Appalachian, not ASU's job to temper their effort to match that of their opponents.

I guess it was fine when Woffie beat the crap out of Elon...

thmst30
October 31st, 2008, 11:03 PM
HOLY ****ING ****. Get back from the game and THIS is the first thread I see. Can nobody take a good ass kicking anymore. Armanti was pulled with 14 minutes to go, our BACKUPS scored twice. #3 team in the nation can't play better than that then too damn bad. No team anywhere can play a complete game and beat a team badly and not get called out for "running up the score", let us have our revenge from last year. GO APP!

AppIAA
October 31st, 2008, 11:06 PM
Such is life. Makes App look bad when the announcers are calling them out for having starters in at the end and punching it in :)

I forgot that Presley was a starter.. Did number 14 graduate last year? xcoffeex

GreatAppSt
October 31st, 2008, 11:08 PM
Funny thing though, I was at that game and GSU didn't have their first string in when they were up by 40 and weren't going for it on fourth down and weren't throwing long bombs. I bet Jerry Moore was not happy either.

This was a lesson for go for it on 4th down Mike.

Magnum_MX285
October 31st, 2008, 11:10 PM
I voted yes, but in all reality there shouldn't be anything wrong with it... I just think it says quite a bit about a team when they realize that they could have just as easily been on the opposite end of the ass-whooping depending on which team shows up and which stays home. My respect for App St. would have increased significantly if they would have held back a bit (especially considering last year)... But, saying that, my respect for them hasn't decreased any either, and I must say, a pretty damn good showing.

Grizo406
October 31st, 2008, 11:17 PM
No...and with all respect to one of my favorite writers, Ochs would have put up more points if he was left in, maybe not as many, but certainly more!xlolx

appvette
October 31st, 2008, 11:18 PM
During halftime, I was telling everybody "they better not put in D Press yet after the JMU comeback". And then everybody raises H*** about it. Get over it.

T-Dog
October 31st, 2008, 11:27 PM
We've been guilty of taking our foot off the gas this season before and it costs us huge once and almost trapped us other times. Plus Wofford being the 4th best scoring offense in the country, we took no chances.

BEAR
October 31st, 2008, 11:36 PM
long TD run for App leading Wofford 42-14 2Q!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ASU leading Wofford 49-24 end of 3Q Only one score in the third.
TD pass for ASU leading Wofford 56-24 14:39 4Q
App runs it in (and up?) for a TD leading Wofford 63-24 4Q
App throws another long pass and then goes for it on fourth down again before finishing with a 70-24 win over Wofford

Was it running up the score? Depends on how the game was falling for App. Was Wofford being dominated from the start? Or were they making good drives that were coming up short? I've seen UCA keep games in the 50s even though they could have easily hit 100...i.e. Texas State last year. Not having seen this game, I'd say it was a statement to the pollsters for the playoffs, not just a final score. xthumbsupx

appstate1998
October 31st, 2008, 11:42 PM
long TD run for App leading Wofford 42-14 2Q!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ASU leading Wofford 49-24 end of 3Q Only one score in the third.
TD pass for ASU leading Wofford 56-24 14:39 4Q
App runs it in (and up?) for a TD leading Wofford 63-24 4Q
App throws another long pass and then goes for it on fourth down again before finishing with a 70-24 win over Wofford

Was it running up the score? Depends on how the game was falling for App. Was Wofford being dominated from the start? Or were they making good drives that were coming up short? I've seen UCA keep games in the 50s even though they could have easily hit 100...i.e. Texas State last year. Not having seen this game, I'd say it was a statement to the pollsters for the playoffs, not just a final score. xthumbsupx

Wofford had 5 turnovers, 4 in the second half and they also were 0 for 3 on 4th down.

AppIAA
October 31st, 2008, 11:43 PM
I am pretty sure second and third teamers are on the team because they play hard and want to compete. They do not want to go out there to run it up the middle every time.

Also, this was a nationally televised game... maybe the coaches wanted to see what the backups could do under that pressure (although the game was under control already).

It is not the coaches or players fault that WoCo could not stop our second and third team offense...

Syntax Error
October 31st, 2008, 11:45 PM
so you look over the field, your team is up by 46 points over a team in your conference near the end of the game, you see the guy whose job might get infected, and you decide you will go for it on fourth down instead of taking a knee --------- to prove what? Putting your foot on the gas with less than a minute to play? Keep some of the starters in? C'mon!

SeattleGriz
October 31st, 2008, 11:46 PM
Yes the score was a bit much, but Wofford played a really bad game that got away from them and then just got worse.

I don't know how many times they fell for the the fake handoff, only to watch Armanti telegraph his downfield throw to Quick for the TD.

Even though I don't think they ran up the score, Coulson better step up and say something. And yes, I am still holding a grudge from when he complained about Montana beating UNH 45-14.

AppIAA
October 31st, 2008, 11:46 PM
No to let the backups play and gain confidence..

Appaholic
October 31st, 2008, 11:47 PM
so you look over the field, your team is up by 46 points over a team in your conference near the end of the game, you see the guy whose job might get infected, and you decide you will go for it on fourth down instead of taking a knee --------- to prove what? Putting your foot on the gas with less than a minute to play? Keep most of the starters in.

xbawlingx

Syntax Error
October 31st, 2008, 11:52 PM
xbawlingx^^^^^^^^^^^ classy xsmhx

having starters in on the last few drives and trying to pass into the endzone is a no-no when you lead by 46.

AppIAA
October 31st, 2008, 11:54 PM
so you look over the field, your team is up by 46 points over a team in your conference near the end of the game, you see the guy whose job might get infected, and you decide you will go for it on fourth down instead of taking a knee --------- to prove what? Putting your foot on the gas with less than a minute to play? Keep some of the starters in? C'mon!

^ ------- classy

Syntax Error
October 31st, 2008, 11:55 PM
^ ------- classyThank you.

eaglewraith
October 31st, 2008, 11:56 PM
Even though I don't think they ran up the score, Coulson better step up and say something. And yes, I am still holding a grudge from when he complained about Montana beating UNH 45-14.

This is a valid argument.

AppIAA
October 31st, 2008, 11:56 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^ classy xsmhx

having starters in on the last few drives and trying to pass into the endzone is a no-no when you lead by 46.

you're right.. having starters play to gain confidence for a playoff run is stupid. It hasnt worked for us the last 3 years either so maybe we shouldnt do it ever again

AppGrad06
October 31st, 2008, 11:58 PM
no, for 3 reasons.
1)Yes, they didn't need any more points and could have just knelt down, but what they did need was experience for Presley, and the only way for Presley to get experience running the offense is to run the offense.
2) When App backs off and plays with less intensity is when we are most vulnerable (i.e. JMU this year, Michigan [though we pull that one out, EWU). We play effectively at one speed and that is flat out balls to wall, when we back off we make mistakes and can let a lead slip away from us. That said I prefer to see my team maintain their intensity than back down b/c though it wasn't a big deal tonight, it set a president for our players.
3)After Wofford destroyed Elon last week, we needed to take the opportunity to make the same statement, and solidify our conference and post-season positions.

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 12:00 AM
3)After Wofford destroyed Elon last week, we needed to take the opportunity to make the same statement, and solidify our conference and post-season positions.

Wait, Wofford "ran up the score" too? Who would of thought a team complaining about a "run up" did the same thing the week before

uofmman1122
November 1st, 2008, 12:01 AM
Wait, Wofford "ran up the score" too? Who would of thought a team complaining about a "run up" did the same thing the week beforeI haven't seen very many Wofford posters complain about Appy running up the score, just fans of other teams.

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 12:03 AM
great win for the mighty Mountaineers but the fourth quarter left many of us questioning why. Why were so many starters in when Wofford put in their seond and third stringers? Why was App trying to score so much with long passes? Why was App going for it on fourth down so often?

Besides that it was a great App win!

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 12:03 AM
I haven't seen very many Wofford posters complain about Appy running up the score, just fans of other teams.

That is true.. there arent many but there are some.

I guess that was more geared towards the other fans who cant take a good team beating another good team

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 1st, 2008, 12:06 AM
Nope. Hold on to the ball and learn to support defensively on the outside

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 12:06 AM
great win for the mighty Mountaineers but the fourth quarter left many of us questioning why. Why were so many starters in when Wofford put in their seond and third stringers? Why was App trying to score so much with long passes? Why was App going for it on fourth down so often?

Why NFL teams try to do the same thing? Why do second stringers even play? What is the point of having a team with more than 22 players (11 on each side of the ball)...

Oh yea, thats right. The second and third teams play because they love the game. They want to play, they do not want to just kneel the ball down..

Thats like saying why does a pitcher even pitch the ball when their team is up by 16 in the 9th inning with 2 outs? because its the game and its what they love to do...

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 12:08 AM
Why...Ask Jerry Moore.

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 12:10 AM
If I did, I guarantee he will say because he wanted his young players to gain experience and confidence... He wanted players that have worked hard all off season and in season to get some playing time and compete on national tv.

Why would players who hardly play, kneel the ball. If all we were going to do is kneel, might as well have first teamers in there the entire time. Or would you complain about that too?

GreatAppSt
November 1st, 2008, 12:11 AM

That is the Ayers way, turnabout is fair.xwhistlex

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 12:13 AM
That is the Ayers way, turnabout is fair.That is so false. Look at the drive charts and the play by play. Facts are facts. xwhistlex

appstate1998
November 1st, 2008, 12:14 AM
Why was App going for it on fourth down so often?

Appalachian State 4th down efficiency 1-1

yup you got us...we went for it over and over

GreatAppSt
November 1st, 2008, 12:16 AM

If you want to kneel go to church.

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 12:16 AM
That is so false. xwhistlex

Really? Is that why they score 14 points with 2 main players in the 4th quarter against elon in their 55-20 win last week?

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 12:17 AM
If you want to kneel got to church.xconfusedx xsmhx I just hate to see FCS teams do stuff like this. You know that Eric.

GreatAppSt
November 1st, 2008, 12:19 AM
That is so false. Look at the drive charts and the play by play. Facts are facts. xwhistlex

Not today but, those who don't learn from the past, It's a history thing. Football knowledge is a wondrful thing some remember it some don't.xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 12:20 AM
Really? Is that why they score 14 points with 2 main players in the 4th quarter against elon in their 55-20 win last week?Uh, this game is the subject. And never was the deficit 46 in a prior game.

DLS
November 1st, 2008, 12:21 AM
how, as a coach are you suppose to have a mantra of "finish strong" but then say "hey wait a minute we're finishing too strong lets ease up"? especially after past games of not "finishing strong".

we come out for a full game on both sides of the ball finally this season and you think we should stomp out the fire.

screw that, let the motha f#@ka burn till nooga.

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 12:22 AM
Not today but, those who don't learn from the past, It's a history thing. Football knowledge is a wondrful thing some remember it some don't.xthumbsupxYep. I often remind people of the facts because they are so full of koolaid. xnodx

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 12:24 AM
Uh, this game is the subject. And never was the deficit 46 in a prior game.

You're complaining about App running up the score when Wofford did the same exact thing the week before. You hate FCS teams doing that, but I never saw a complaint out of you last week.

I forgot that 35 points was such a huge difference from 46 when the game is in the 4th quarter. I mean, that extra 11 points must make it running up the score but a 5 TD (and XPs) lead isnt at all...

Sounds to me you're just complaining because App played well against a good team

GreatAppSt
November 1st, 2008, 12:25 AM
Wofford 56 - Chattanooga 7

Wofford 42 - Western 14

Wofford 55 - Elon 20

Were these run ups? no.

nuff said

I think we're separating the men from the boys here with this discussion
.xnodx

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 12:28 AM
Sounds to me you're just complaining because App played well against a good teamSounds like you can't distinguish between calling off the dogs and running up the score. Just read the play by play (I did) to get a better idea.

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 12:31 AM
Sounds like you can't distinguish between calling off the dogs and running up the score. Just read the play by play (I did) to get a better idea.

Sounds like I have and it looks almost identical to last weeks WoCo Elon game.. and again, no complaints out of you last week.

Why aren't other WoCo fans complaining about this? They aren't even "mad" about it, so why are you? If a teams own fans don't even think its running of the score, then why do you?

Once again, it was simply a better team beating a good team.. end of story, end of game.

It is called football not "hey we are beating this team who is really good so lets stop and just take a nap"

putter
November 1st, 2008, 12:33 AM
Yes the score was a bit much, but Wofford played a really bad game that got away from them and then just got worse.

I don't know how many times they fell for the the fake handoff, only to watch Armanti telegraph his downfield throw to Quick for the TD.

I was going to say the same thing!! xthumbsupx

appstate1998
November 1st, 2008, 12:34 AM
Pressly came in near the beginning of the fourth quarter. Threw the ball 3 times and completed all 3 for a whopping 15 yards. Do you know how to read box scores?

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 12:38 AM
Pressly came in near the beginning of the fourth quarter. Threw the ball 3 times and completed all 3 for a whopping 15 yards. Do you know how to read box scores?

But we went for it ONCE on 4th down with our SECOND STRING QB in because we were on about the 45 and out of field goal range, but too close to punt.

I guess we should have just given the ball to Wofford so our offense did not have to play anymore football. They should actually all quit and just give the game to Wofford too... Never play football again. I mean they cant go for it otherwise its running up the score and not playing football.

Sorry to say, but most teams who dont have the best special teams and a good offense (first or second teams) would do the same exact thing...

GGASU
November 1st, 2008, 01:05 AM
I actually lost money by App scoring too much in the second half...the over under was 31....I thought that ASU would go into a shell like they normally do after destroying a team in the first half.

Syntax....maybe your southern illinois team can get into the first round and take a 70-24 beat down in Boone on Thanksgiving weekend....nah the Salukis wouldn't score 24.

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 02:44 AM
HEY! I voted NO WAY was App running up the score but it put it in the YES column.

There is no chance that Jerry Moore would run up the score for any reason against any opponent.

Cincy App
November 1st, 2008, 02:44 AM

ASU's offensive starters played only 30 seconds of the 4th quarter. ASU did not throw a long pass in the last 14:30 of the game. They did throw 3 short passes in this time period - and none on the last score. Also, one 4th down attempt during the entire game is not "so often". It's common for teams to go for it then to keep the clock running. ASU ran a scaled-down version of its offense in the final 14:30. Wofford ran its offense last year in the final few seconds when it scored a tack-on TD in last year's game. Big deal.

IMO, the only matter to re-consider is whether or not ASU should have taken a knee when it had 1st and goal with less than 2 minutes to go. Of course, from past history - Wofford would have then called timeouts.

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 02:48 AM
Syntax....maybe your southern illinois team...MY Southern Illinois team? xlolx It gets crazier every year. xlolx

mountaineer_dax
November 1st, 2008, 02:51 AM

Oh really?

here i thought your team getting blown to pieces makes ya'll look bad...

that was second string in at the end of the game. way to pay attention.

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 02:56 AM
Oh really?
way to pay attention.

thmst30
November 1st, 2008, 02:57 AM
Wofford 56 - Chattanooga 7

Wofford 42 - Western 14

Wofford 55 - Elon 20

Were these run ups? no.

nuff said

I think we're separating the men from the boys here with this discussion
.xnodx
Post #3,333!!! Very nice post count Mr. GreatAppSt.:D
Thats one to keep safe and always remember:xnodx
http://i36.tinypic.com/szizxg.jpg

xthumbsupx

GGASU
November 1st, 2008, 03:12 AM
MY Southern Illinois team? xlolx It gets crazier every year. xlolx

a few years ago someone said that you went to Southern Illinois.

So if you didn't....what school did you attend...or if you didn't go to a FCS school..what team to you call your team.

Hoyadestroya85
November 1st, 2008, 04:19 AM
It's wofford's fault for not making adjustments and stopping them.. if they were supposedly so good, than why did they just get destroyed

Hoyadestroya85
November 1st, 2008, 04:23 AM
Appy to Wofford:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzfY-aXGcBY&feature=related

BestOfBreed
November 1st, 2008, 06:17 AM
Oh really?

Just repeating what the announcers said. xwhistlex

jaxstatealum
November 1st, 2008, 06:21 AM
No

The Cats
November 1st, 2008, 06:38 AM
I totally see no reason to humiliate another SoCon team on national TV. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Good 'ole Moore (that great compassionate coach) would never embarrass another team just to help his mountaineers in the polls (like he did last year against Western). I know you boone fans will call this sour grapes..... maybe it is, but that's not an excuse to run up a score on a CLEARLY beaten team. xrulesx

appstate1998
November 1st, 2008, 06:47 AM
I totally see no reason to humiliate another SoCon team on national TV. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Good 'ole Moore (that great compassionate coach) would never embarrass another team just to help his mountaineers in the polls (like he did last year against Western). I know you boone fans will call this sour grapes..... maybe it is, but that's not an excuse to run up a score on a CLEARLY beaten team. xrulesx

Western Carolina still has a football team?

The Cats
November 1st, 2008, 06:49 AM
Western Carolina still has a football team?

Yeah, and like my momma says......"The truth hurts" xcoffeex

Reign of Terrier
November 1st, 2008, 07:12 AM
Really? Is that why they score 14 points with 2 main players in the 4th quarter against elon in their 55-20 win last week?

I'm sorry I watched that game and don't know what your talking about. As soon as we went up 41-20 we put in the second string and ran the ball.

jus10asu
November 1st, 2008, 07:17 AM

Wait till we put 100+ up on the kitties. Bwaahaha

jus10asu
November 1st, 2008, 07:21 AM
And the whole running up the score crap is ridiculous....ASU has had a chance to put up tons of points on teams in the past and we haven't. But we wanted revenge and many people were favoring Wofford in this game. We needed to make a bold statement last night and where better than on national tv. We had our 5th string RB in and still were scoring so spare me the whining about running up the score. If Wofford was a good as they were talked up to be it wouldn't have went this way.

HiHiYikas
November 1st, 2008, 07:23 AM
I won't say anything bad about Wofford's program, or even their showing last night.

But this question is ignorant at best, petty at worst. I won't waste my time answering it.

I will say this - I hope threads like these pop up after each of ASU's remaining games, because I'd much rather have folks asking "did they score too much?," than "would the Mountaineers have even won if so-and-so hadn't turned the ball over?"

Here's a team that's been subject to much second-guessing so far this season, if the rest of the second guesses focus on ASU's scoring too much, a lot of fans can rest easy.

Black Saturday
November 1st, 2008, 07:37 AM

When App St beat Wofford by 46 points tonight, did you think it was inappropriate for them to be trying long pass plays and going for it multiple times on fourth down?

By your thread title It sounds like you have no reservations about who you think the #1 team really is after they just crushed the #3 team in the FCS.

No consideration on your part for what may have happened in last year's game vs. Wofford or the scores in Wofford's last 3 conference games.

What will you think of if APP wins their 4th in a row this year?

appstate38
November 1st, 2008, 07:42 AM

Why are you complaining??? The 79 we hung on you was the final nail in the Briggs coffin that brought you Wagner..... If that game was closer you would still have Briggs. At least now you have a coach trying to win. We preformed a public service for you....xsmiley_wix

Besides if you don't like it. Read the sig.

elon77
November 1st, 2008, 08:02 AM
I don't remember too many Elon fans complaining last week. I also didn't think Woffy could come into NC two weeks in a row and play great football. I also still think it's time for AE to go pro. GO PRO, GO PRO, GO PRO. Last but not least, maybe Mickey, the lip, Mathews knew what he was talking about in regards to the rest of the Socon.

BLUEEAGLE
November 1st, 2008, 08:06 AM
The game got out of control, but that wasn't Apps fault. Woffie looked like crap. The idea of putting your reserves in is to get game exp. If AE goes out with an injury your 2nd team guy has to step up , so a big HELL NO on the running the score up.

gophoenix
November 1st, 2008, 08:07 AM
Of course they didn't. If App lets up, it gives Wofford confidence. And last night looked like plain out matchup problems for Wofford. Doesn't mean Wofford is bad, which they have shown they aren't, but shows they matched up poorly against a team like App last night. Heck, if they played again then it could turn out way different. And, I am wondering in my mind that is Wofford drubbing us lead to some overconfidence by the team going into the game last night. Either way, last night happens sometimes. The SoCon is a weird league because it is one of the only leagues in the country where week to week you are seeing WAY different defenses and offenses week to week where in most other leagues most teams run such a similar game that preparation isn't quite so critical. So you run into huge matchup problems sometimes, big deal.

Wofford will rebound, so will Elon.

BEAR
November 1st, 2008, 08:12 AM
My question is do you think App fans are running up this thread response count? xlolx

appst97
November 1st, 2008, 08:15 AM
My question is do you think App fans are running up this thread response count? xlolx

maybe

appst97
November 1st, 2008, 08:15 AM
maybe

yes

AppStFan76
November 1st, 2008, 08:16 AM
Oh really?

Unfortunatly I could not make it to Boone last night and was forced to watch the game on TV... The comment about 1st string players in at the end of the game was pertaining to our LB's still playing on Defense. It had nothing to do with our Offense.

When you are playing a team that has scored 158 point in there last 3 games you dont ever let up...

I've seen some posts on there that we should not have been throwing the ball late in the game with the lead we had.... would WoCo like to have been treated like a DII school or be played like a team in the FCS that is ranked #3 in the country??

I vote NO!!!

Yosef84
November 1st, 2008, 08:18 AM

For the record, the announcers were talking about DEFENSIVE starters still in the game. Because of injuries, we are thin in some areas on D. The guys "punching it in" at the end of the game were the 2nd string QB and the 4th/5th string RB's.

Wofford is a very good team and this one could easily have played out differently. When you start coughing up the ball and throwing interceptions in a game like this, it's bound to get ugly.

furman94
November 1st, 2008, 08:21 AM
So Apps... I watched a few minutes of the game in between trick or treaters, so heres my question: Did Furman's loss at KBS look better than Woffys? Please Explain...

Yosef84
November 1st, 2008, 08:23 AM

So, if you already had your answer, why start the thread? Good teams (Wofford is a very good team) don't need the opponent to cut them slack. They play the game and accept the results. I visited the Terrier Fan message board and to their credit, I don't see them whining about it. They are discussing what needs to happen moving forward. That's a classy response from a class program. Kudos to Wofford. They'll make adjustments and be just fine.

CamelCityAppFan
November 1st, 2008, 08:32 AM
I've said it before, I'll say it again:

When it's #2 Appalachian vs #3 Wofford, I don't see how anyone could complain about "running up the score". This is big boy, hard-nosed football in a critical conference match-up.

This was not #2 Appalachian vs D-III Sparkle City Dog Grooming Acadamy...not a patsy game.

grizbeer
November 1st, 2008, 08:49 AM
There really is no excuse for that last touchdown by App State - you are inside the 5, with 2 minutes left and a 45 second clock - take a knee. Hope App fans remember this game in the future - I'm sure all the other FCS coaches will, especially So-Con coaches - and the day will come when it won't be pretty.

Yosef84
November 1st, 2008, 09:07 AM

Mike Ayers job is not in danger. Yes, App could have let up, but since when is a football game about letting up? Last year when Armanti was coming back from a shoulder injury, it didn't stop Wofford from slamming him down on his throwing shoulder and putting him out for a few more games. That's the nature of the game. That's why girls don't play. Wofford had almost 500 yards of total offense. They were FAR from helpless. They kept throwing Ints and coughing up fumbles in the 4th. So, your opponent hands you the ball close to the endzone and you are supposed to sit there? Where exactly does THAT coaching philosophy come from?

You're trying to create a controversy that doesn't exist. Ultimately, it is the job of Wofford's coaching staff to prevent the blow-out. It is not the job of the Appalachian staff to protect the esteem of the opponent. This whole "you hit me too hard" thread is beneath the dignity of a legit team.

DX Man
November 1st, 2008, 09:18 AM
Mike Ayers got on TV last week after the Elon game and was proclaiming his team was "Ready to go to the mountain." Did he think that the ASU players wouldn't see that? Get over it!xbawlingx

Appguy
November 1st, 2008, 09:21 AM
There really is no excuse for that last touchdown by App State - you are inside the 5, with 2 minutes left and a 45 second clock - take a knee. Hope App fans remember this game in the future - I'm sure all the other FCS coaches will, especially So-Con coaches - and the day will come when it won't be pretty.

Our second and third string players wanted to score?

Eight Legger
November 1st, 2008, 09:36 AM
The only reason I would ever NOT try to score throughout an entire game (assuming we are talking about college or pros) is if I feel I might see that team again and they have a chance to beat me. And even then it probably wouldn't impact me that much.

What kind of message are you sending your kids if you tell them to go out there and quit trying to score? If the losing team is tired of giving up points, either stop them or forfeit. Don't expect the winning team to just roll over for you.

neersnbeers
November 1st, 2008, 09:37 AM
Whatever.! All I heard all last week was wofford, wofford, wofford. They we're ranked 3rd in the nation folks!? Its football and App wanted to send a little note out to all the nay-sayers.
As for the last score, who in their right mind is going to put in a true freshman qb and ask him to "take it easy".

IABison
November 1st, 2008, 09:37 AM

Now, now... you and I both know if that had been the Griz putting up those kinds of points late in the fourth quarter, not one person on this board would be questioning it... xsmiley_wix

:D

ASU88
November 1st, 2008, 09:49 AM
I'm sorry I watched that game and don't know what your talking about. As soon as we went up 41-20 we put in the second string and ran the ball.
Sounds about like what we did last night, yet you've had such a big problem with it.

To the credit of Wofford's fans, however, I've seen few others whining and crying about it. They are taking the correct, healthy "get past it and move on" attitude.

boonegoon
November 1st, 2008, 09:50 AM
It got ugly after Wofford threw that first pick. Wofford needed to stick to their game plan and trade punches. They took the chance to open it up and then tried too much trying to catch up. Wofford plays really well from the front. As far as running it up is concerned, the answer is no. When Wofford turns ot over 4 times in the second half and App has great field position, what are they supposed to do? The only problem that I had was the unsportmanlike conduct of Quick. Kicking someone's tail is one thing, showboating is another.

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 09:53 AM

Britenstein is as much of a second stringer as josh jackson and deandre preseley.....

ASU88
November 1st, 2008, 09:54 AM

When that happens ... and surely it will some day ... you won't hear me whining about it. Can't speak for others, but the best thing to do ... the ONLY thing to do ... is put it behind you and move on.

smallcollegefbfan
November 1st, 2008, 10:00 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^ classy xsmhx

One thing you have to remember is that JM and Ayers are great friends. Ayers saw JM and his bunch finally have much needed fun after having so much pressure on them this year. This was the first time you saw the ASU staff and players really have fun and just play loose.

They also know that Wofford is a great team with the talent to come back and has to be knocked out to feel good about sealing the win. You have to keep great teams like that down and also get your team confidence. JM has been on the other side of this and knows how it feels to get killed and he is completely sympathetic to how Ayers feels.

One thing someone pointed out is that forgotten is that ASU blew a 21-point lead over JMU and almost cost them before. WCU blew a 28 point lead on GSU and last year in the Wofford-WCU game a 30 plus point lead was almost blown. When is the right time to stop pouring it on? Usually around 40 points you can blew a 30 plus point lead. Once you turn it off you can't turn it back on and the only way to ensure that you don't need to turn it back on is to put them away. Don't worry, Wofford will bounce back. They are not punks or quitters at all and will find a way to improve from this. I'm sure Ayers wouldn't want JM to go easy on his team because you don't get better by the other team taking it easy on you.

Maybe the real thread should be "With JMU injuries is ASU the #1 team now? I heard Bruce Dowd was there. Would be interesting to see what he thinks and if he would boost ASU over JMU right now.

gr8ness97
November 1st, 2008, 10:00 AM
no they didnt...wofford just didnt stop them

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 10:03 AM
End of story.. This was a FOOTBALL GAME not a "Oh hey, we're beating the crap out of this team so lets not play offense and just let them score whenever they want so they feel like they arent completely over matched and can't play FOOTBALL against us" game

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 10:06 AM
Also, isnt a tie breaker for the auto bid (if head to head games are even -- i.e. we lose to elon and nobody else) points scored?

Wouldnt it be a shame if we didnt get the auto bid because we didnt score with 2:30 left?

NOTE: I'm not sure if this is a tie breaker in the SoCon, but I do know it is common in sports..

AppGrad06
November 1st, 2008, 10:13 AM
well if it we lost to Elon and were the only teams with one loss then Elon would take the auto bid for beating us, but if Wofford won out and had only 1 SoCon loss as well then it could get tricky. I think in that case points might get factored in b/c otherwise you get stuck in loop of logic

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 10:19 AM
if Wofford won out and had only 1 SoCon loss as well then it could get tricky.

That is exactly what I was talking about.. guess I should have specified if both elon and wofford go unbeaten for the rest of the season..

asucrutch23
November 1st, 2008, 10:20 AM
Also, isnt a tie breaker for the auto bid (if head to head games are even -- i.e. we lose to elon and nobody else) points scored?

Wouldnt it be a shame if we didnt get the auto bid because we didnt score with 2:30 left?

NOTE: I'm not sure if this is a tie breaker in the SoCon, but I do know it is common in sports..

well if it we lost to Elon and were the only teams with one loss then Elon would take the auto bid for beating us, but if Wofford won out and had only 1 SoCon loss as well then it could get tricky. I think in that case points might get factored in b/c otherwise you get stuck in loop of logic

Points scored unfortunately is not a tiebreaker. I believe after overall record and head-to-head, it goes to a coin flip.

trusty
November 1st, 2008, 10:21 AM

Do you expect any thing different from the goat lovers?

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 10:22 AM
Oh ok, thanks crutch..

Disregard my post then.. Regardless, App did not run up the score -- wofford just could not stop our offense

asucrutch23
November 1st, 2008, 10:28 AM
While I agree with getting your 2nd and 3rd stringers some game experience by continuing to run the offense as if the game were still in question, I do think that App should have run a bit more clock between plays as opposed to taking the snap with 20 seconds left on the play clock. On that last drive, we may still have scored (Deandre was looking unstoppable), but it wouldn't have looked as if we were running it up because we would have at least been using the whole clock. I understand that our offense is predicated on getting to the line quickly in order to keep the other defense guessing and maintaining continuity, but I think it would have looked a little better had we not taken the snap when the play clock read :20. xtwocentsx

GoldandBlack
November 1st, 2008, 10:44 AM
Funny that there aren't many Wofford posts on this thread.xeyebrowx

We play in the toughest FCS conference in the country (IMHO, of course).
You turn the ball over 5 times, you deserve to be thrashed, and we were.

Did I like the final score? No, I'm not a masochist.
But by the same token, we're playing at the elite level, and you've got to perform, or pay for it.
Last night, we paid for it.

I haven't heard that App State has played any better this season than they did last night,
and Wofford certainly didn't play to their potential. Last I heard, that's called a perfect storm.

We've got three more games to play and playoffs to shoot for- this game is now nothing more than a stat,
unless our players let it get in their heads.

I don't expect that with our coaching staff.

Col Hogan
November 1st, 2008, 10:51 AM
While I agree with getting your 2nd and 3rd stringers some game experience by continuing to run the offense as if the game were still in question, I do think that App should have run a bit more clock between plays as opposed to taking the snap with 20 seconds left on the play clock. On that last drive, we may still have scored (Deandre was looking unstoppable), but it wouldn't have looked as if we were running it up because we would have at least been using the whole clock. I understand that our offense is predicated on getting to the line quickly in order to keep the other defense guessing and maintaining continuity, but I think it would have looked a little better had we not taken the snap when the play clock read :20. xtwocentsx

I voted NO...ASU did not run up the score...Wofford simply did not stop them...

I was also going to write "But, ASU..." when I read this...good post...what he said...xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
November 1st, 2008, 11:16 AM
The only problem I had was some of the antics by ASU players. I realize its a big game, national tv and all, but act like you've scored a touchdown before. Some of that resembled an NFL game.

Saint3333
November 1st, 2008, 11:17 AM

Why?

Why must you always try and make ASU the bad guy. The backups were in. Just like Wofford calling a timeout with 13 seconds left, both teams were using the 4th quarter to practice game situations to get better for next week and perpare the young guys for next year.

Yosef84
November 1st, 2008, 11:26 AM

Who knows what Presley was told to do? He is a true freshman and maybe he just got caught up in the moment. I don't think you tell a guy like that to take a knee. Yeah, we could have lived without going for another score. Maybe, shoulda, coulda, woulda. We're talking about 20 seconds. We ran it up the middle three times in a row with our subs and Wofford didn't stop them. That's just how it goes sometimes.

OL FU
November 1st, 2008, 11:33 AM
Appalachian was just trying to make Western feel betterxnodx

asucrutch23
November 1st, 2008, 11:33 AM
Who knows what Presley was told to do? He is a true freshman and maybe he just got caught up in the moment. I don't think you tell a guy like that to take a knee. Yeah, we could have lived without going for another score. Maybe, shoulda, coulda, woulda. We're talking about 20 seconds. We ran it up the middle three times in a row with our subs and Wofford didn't stop them. That's just how it goes sometimes.

I didn't say take a knee. I completely agree with everything we did, except when we snapped the ball. I even would have gone for the 4th and 1 because of the field position and the fact that the backups were in.

wkuhillhound
November 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
Obviously Wofford wasn't the 3rd ranked team in the nation. It means little in the grand scheme of things. It's just another game. Do what WKU did win a national championship against them that will shut them up quick? Is that right McNeese? :D

feb18blacksunday
November 1st, 2008, 12:02 PM
One thing you have to remember is that JM and Ayers are great friends. Ayers saw JM and his bunch finally have much needed fun after having so much pressure on them this year. This was the first time you saw the ASU staff and players really have fun and just play loose.

They also know that Wofford is a great team with the talent to come back and has to be knocked out to feel good about sealing the win. You have to keep great teams like that down and also get your team confidence. JM has been on the other side of this and knows how it feels to get killed and he is completely sympathetic to how Ayers feels.

One thing someone pointed out is that forgotten is that ASU blew a 21-point lead over JMU and almost cost them before. WCU blew a 28 point lead on GSU and last year in the Wofford-WCU game a 30 plus point lead was almost blown. When is the right time to stop pouring it on? Usually around 40 points you can blew a 30 plus point lead. Once you turn it off you can't turn it back on and the only way to ensure that you don't need to turn it back on is to put them away. Don't worry, Wofford will bounce back. They are not punks or quitters at all and will find a way to improve from this. I'm sure Ayers wouldn't want JM to go easy on his team because you don't get better by the other team taking it easy on you.

Maybe the real thread should be "With JMU injuries is ASU the #1 team now? I heard Bruce Dowd was there. Would be interesting to see what he thinks and if he would boost ASU over JMU right now.

Yea Bruce was there. He came by for some chili. He's on his way to see JMU -Delaware today. Should be for some interesting writings in CSN this week.

Lulu
November 1st, 2008, 12:07 PM
I guess all teams up by 40+ points should be trying to score more until the clock ends.

Back off the Apps and get your story straight.

App is not the only team this season to score more than 40 against their opponents. I don't remember you making any comment about these scores:

Furman v Mars Hill 62-18
Elon v Presbyterian 66-12
Wofford v Chat 56-7
Wofford v Elon 55-20
Cal Ply v. NW State 52-18
Montana St v Adams St 59-3
Weber St v Montana Western 62-6
South Dakota v. St Ambrose 52-0
South Dakota v. Culver 70-7
JMU v NC Central 56-7
JMU v Hofsta 56-0
Villanova v VMI 52-17
Weber St v New Mexico 68-10
W. Illinois v Quincey 63-0
W. Illinois v Indiana St 56-0
North Dakota St v. Central Conn 50-14
S Illinois v Indiana St 60-7
ASU v Jacksonville 56-7
ASU v Western Carolina (2007) 79-35:( :( xconfusedx xconfusedx xnonono2x xnonono2x

The Cats
November 1st, 2008, 12:09 PM
Appalachian was just trying to make Western feel betterxnodx

feel better about what?????? xcoffeex

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 12:09 PM
Back off the Apps and get your story straightAnd what story is that Eric? The persecuting ASU one? xrolleyesx Gimme a break.

HighRyder08
November 1st, 2008, 12:12 PM
The only problem I had was some of the antics by ASU players. I realize its a big game, national tv and all, but act like you've scored a touchdown before. Some of that resembled an NFL game.

Get over yourself.... We were having a good time

YesAppCan
November 1st, 2008, 12:28 PM

Would you have been happier if App and Wofford had taken knees for the rest of the game? Wofford, as they did last year, kept trying to score. I have heard and seen quotes form BOTH coaches from this and last year's game. They both have said it's each team job to score and each teams job to stop the other. Did Wofford keep some of their starters in? C'mon!

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 1st, 2008, 12:34 PM
The kids work too hard in summer camp and in practice to take a knee for the entire 4th Quarter ... it appeared to me that there were many backups in ... let them have some fun.

When we left Boone last December and gave up 55 points, i was only thinking about how our defense should have played better.

That is what the Wofford fans should be worried about.

millwoga1
November 1st, 2008, 01:31 PM
The kids work too hard in summer camp and in practice to take a knee for the entire 4th Quarter ... it appeared to me that there were many backups in ... let them have some fun.

When we left Boone last December and gave up 55 points, i was only thinking about how our defense should have played better.

That is what the Wofford fans should be worried about.

That is what I'm worried about Let's drop it and move on

app
November 1st, 2008, 02:21 PM
No they didnt.

woffordgrad94
November 1st, 2008, 02:26 PM
NO!!!! Our defense just didn't do what it took to stop ASU. End of story.

Appaholic
November 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM
And what story is that Eric? The persecuting ASU one? xrolleyesx Gimme a break.

Well, either you are persecuting App any chance you get or you're an a$$...which is it? xcoffeex

If Wofford fans aren't bitching about the score, why are you continuing to beat it in the ground? I think I know the answer to my own question.....xwhistlex

Skjellyfetti
November 1st, 2008, 05:28 PM
going for it multiple times on fourth down?

Why was App going for it on fourth down so often?

I didn't read the whole thread... so this may have already been pointed out...

You made this claim multiple times in the App-Wofford game thread. It's wrong.

We went for it on 4th down ONCE.

Also, after the JMU game... I think the last thing to coaches want to do is take it easy on a very, very good football team when it seems they are winning by a comftorable margin.

And... this isn't the smack forum. xnonono2xxmadx

BeauFoster
November 1st, 2008, 05:31 PM
Oh my gosh!!! Florida just threw the ball for a TD in the 4th quarter against Georgia!!! Ralph-I fully expect a poll in the Non-FCS discussion asking if UF is running up the score on the Bulldogs.

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 05:44 PM
I didn't read the whole thread... so this may have already been pointed out...
You made this claim multiple times in the App-Wofford game thread. It's wrong.
We went for it on 4th down ONCE.
And... this isn't the smack forum. Yeah, App went for it once on fourth down - not multiple times, near the end of the fourth quarter, leading by about 40 - I misstated that. It's not smack, it's fact.

T-Dog
November 1st, 2008, 05:50 PM
I checked the play by play.

App had four 4th downs in the game. Neil Young punted it twice, TJ Courman punted it once (the pooch kick play that didn't work that well) and we went for it once which was the Presley pass which got the 1st down with 9:30 left in the 4th.

grizbeer
November 1st, 2008, 05:52 PM
The most disappointing part of this entire thread is after this many pages there is an absolute absence of humility of the App fan base that matches what happened in the game last night. Perhaps App fans don't realize this after 3 outstanding seasons and championships, and another great season under way, but all things come to an end. There won't always bea day when you are on top, and the obvious intentional running up the score last night, and your lack of an tiny bit of embarrassment about it as a fan base, will come back to haunt you.

I am curious, did Coach Moore get to shake Coach Ayers hands after the game last night? I don't think I have ever seen a coach who won such a big game look so down trodden as he went out on the field as Coach Moore looked after the game last night - he clearly was embarrassed about the score - I doubt it was his call to go for the touchdown instead of running out the clock, but he gets responsibility for it. Coach Moore knows what this means, and the App fans will find out sooner or later.

really App fans, it isn't so hard to say, yea, I feel good for the 2nd and 3rd stringers who played and scored, but I wish they would have called off the dogs late - at least fake some humility. For the Wofford fans who have posted about the game, you guys are first class all the way in defeat, just like you were in victory over the Griz last year - great, classy people, good luck the rest of the season.

KiddBrewer
November 1st, 2008, 05:53 PM
I checked the play by play.

App had four 4th downs in the game. Neil Young punted it twice, TJ Courman punted it once (the pooch kick play that didn't work that well) and we went for it once which was the Presley pass which got the 1st down with 9:30 left in the 4th.

go figurexrolleyesx

bobbythekidd
November 1st, 2008, 06:02 PM
The most disappointing part of this entire thread is after this many pages there is an absolute absence of humility of the App fan base that matches what happened in the game last night. Perhaps App fans don't realize this after 3 outstanding seasons and championships, and another great season under way, but all things come to an end. There won't always bea day when you are on top, and the obvious intentional running up the score last night, and your lack of an tiny bit of embarrassment about it as a fan base, will come back to haunt you.

I am curious, did Coach Moore get to shake Coach Ayers hands after the game last night? I don't think I have ever seen a coach who won such a big game look so down trodden as he went out on the field as Coach Moore looked after the game last night - he clearly was embarrassed about the score - I doubt it was his call to go for the touchdown instead of running out the clock, but he gets responsibility for it. Coach Moore knows what this means, and the App fans will find out sooner or later.

really App fans, it isn't so hard to say, yea, I feel good for the 2nd and 3rd stringers who played and scored, but I wish they would have called off the dogs late - at least fake some humility. For the Wofford fans who have posted about the game, you guys are first class all the way in defeat, just like you were in victory over the Griz last year - great, classy people, good luck the rest of the season.
I know I am going to come off as an a$$ after such a reasoned and thought out post, but I don't have a problem with the score.

I have the utmost respect for Wofford and the product they have been putting on the field for some time. App has earned my respect as well. That being said...

Each game is 60 minutes long. That is all the time coaches have to see what talent they have, who comes to play, who performs under pressure, etc. Just 60 minutes. If you can get far enough ahead to see what your younger players look like in game situations, you should use every minute of it in every way you can. It's a competition. Compete for 60 minutes or don't play at all.xtwocentsx

Appaholic
November 1st, 2008, 06:05 PM

What do you want us to do? Apologize? Ain't gonna happen....if the Wofford fans aren't expecting an apology, why would we offer one to the rest of the FCS board? This ain't checkers....Why isn't anyone chastising Wofford for failing to be prepared? It was a chance to showcase FCS competitive football, b ut it just confirmed, at least in the minds of the average FBS-saturated fan that the only decent FCS football comes from "that team that beat Michigan last year".....amazing, one more example of the wussification of society in general....hey, let's give a trophy to all the teams for participating.....jeezus christ....Wofford beat Elon 55-10, did they display enough humility for everyone? xcoffeex

Skjellyfetti
November 1st, 2008, 06:06 PM
Yeah, App went for it once on fourth down - not multiple times, near the end of the fourth quarter, leading by about 40 - I misstated that. It's not smack, it's fact.

Now that you corrected it... It sure wasn't fact earlier.

AppAlum2003
November 1st, 2008, 06:08 PM
All of you that voted "Yes" need a hobby.

Skjellyfetti
November 1st, 2008, 06:10 PM
The most disappointing part of this entire thread is after this many pages there is an absolute absence of humility of the App fan base that matches what happened in the game last night.

Read the "We got embarrassed thread." There is a lot of humility and "handshaking" in that thread. This thread was intended to take a shot at Appalachian. So, our fans and myself aren't going to react very kindly to that.

MountainMan
November 1st, 2008, 06:12 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^ classy xsmhx

If you are going to bi*ch then get your facts straight. Armanti was in when we were up 32 at the end of the 3rd. Once he completed the last TD Pass with most of the 4th left they took him out. The 2nd string QB and the 4th and 5th string TB's finished the game. The starting O-Line stayed in there so they could get experience with good blocking. We play 7 or 8 receivers every game from start to finish so its kinda hard to not play your normal guys there. We put several WR in that have 0 catches for the career but have busted their butts in practice for several years.

Are we not supposed to let those guys play for real after the sacrafices they've made everyday in practice?

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 06:20 PM

And 45-10 isnt running up the score?

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 06:21 PM
Read the "We got embarrassed thread." There is a lot of humility and "handshaking" in that thread. This thread was intended to take a shot at Appalachian. So, our fans and myself aren't going to react very kindly to that.No it wasn't. The TV announcers started the question and it was posted here as a legit question. Obviously a bunch of people here thought that App was "running up the score" like the TV guys said. No need to get nasty. xpeacex

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 06:23 PM
Man, JMU is horrible to.. they won 41-7.. must have ran up the score too...

O, and Maine too (55-7) and South Dakota (63-0) or Mass (49-0)

Where are these threads?

Grizaholic17
November 1st, 2008, 06:30 PM
they wanted to make a statement. They want to be on top. They ran up the score no doubt. Don't even try to say you weren't

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 06:33 PM
OH NO!!! USC IS GOING FOR IT ON 4TH AND GOAL AGAINST WASHINGTON!!!

MUST BE TRYING TO RUN UP THE SCORE!!! ITS ALREADY 21-0

now its 28-0 in the 2nd. USC is horrible!!! Can't believe them!!!!!!!!!!!

Grizaholic17
November 1st, 2008, 06:34 PM

Settle down. Ha. you have to admit, a score of 70 or something like that to 24 or something like that, is a bit ridiculous. If it was the griz, we would take the same criticism. But it wasn't. It was you guys with the spot light. So settle and take it. xpeacex

grizbeer
November 1st, 2008, 06:35 PM
And 45-10 isnt running up the score?No - you see, that's the thing, if you call off the dogs with 13 min left in the 4th quarter, it isn't running up the score, but when you score with 2 min left, it is - maybe you app guys are too new at this stuff.

grizbeer
November 1st, 2008, 06:38 PM

now its 28-0 in the 2nd. USC is horrible!!! Can't believe them!!!!!!!!!!!No game is decided in the 2nd quarter, but I'll bet in the 4th, when USC has their 4th or 5th string guys in who really need some playing time, and this is their only chance to score in their entire college career, USC doesn't go for it on 4th down, and takes a knee with 2 min left. You guys could learn from them. Of course if you keep throwing a fit like this instead of listening to reason, you could also learn from the local 5th grade team in your town. try to act grown up at least.

Lulu
November 1st, 2008, 06:40 PM
And what story is that Eric? The persecuting ASU one? xrolleyesx Gimme a break.

1st of all, this is Greysen, not Eric!!!!xnonox Don't assume Eric speaks for me. I have a mind of my own!!!! xnonox xnonox xnonono2x I am quite capable of commenting on and calling bull***** when I see it.

and 2nd, yes, you obviously don't like App. I have grown really tired of your many anti-ASU posts! Move on!
xdeadhorsex

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 06:40 PM
No - you see, that's the thing, if you call off the dogs with 13 min left in the 4th quarter, it isn't running up the score, but when you score with 2 min left, it is - maybe you app guys are too new at this stuff.

It is not our fault they could not stop a run by our second and third stringers UP THE MIDDLE! We ran up the middle for 3 consecutive plays before we went for it on 4th. We were in that field position where we were too close to punt, but too far to kick the FG so might as well let the backups get some real time game experience and do what they will do in the future when they are the starters.

After we converted the 4th down, 3 more runs up the middle for a TD. It is now our fault our backup offense is better than their backup defense.

If we are so classless and ran up the score, then why did Wofford call a timeout with 13 seconds left. The game was obviously over. Oh yea, thats right, they want to get their backups game time experience JUST LIKE WE DID!! Get over yourselves and the fact that App was clearly a better a team -- regardless that our backups were in after the first drive of the game.

Our defense had the starters in, yes. But we have A LOT of injuries on the defensive side of the ball and there are not a lot of other players that could play.

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 06:43 PM
No - you see, that's the thing, if you call off the dogs with 13 min left in the 4th quarter, it isn't running up the score, but when you score with 2 min left, it is - maybe you app guys are too new at this stuff.

And a quick look at the box score, COLE BERGQUIST was in during the 4th quarter on the score they had. Definitely running up the score. It is the same exact thing!

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 06:45 PM
1st of all, this is Greysen, not Eric!!!! ... you obviously don't like App. I have grown really tired of your many anti-ASU posts! Move on!Ahhhhh, Greysen. You obviously do not know me very well if you think I don't like App. I'm not appeciative of the rude homers that are arrogant App fans and not afraid to ask the question that the TV announcers were asking. It's a football question but arrogant App fans take it personal against the person who brought it up here. xnonox

Hope the baby is doing well.

Appaholic
November 1st, 2008, 06:45 PM
No game is decided in the 2nd quarter, but I'll bet in the 4th, when USC has their 4th or 5th string guys in who really need some playing time, and this is their only chance to score in their entire college career, USC doesn't go for it on 4th down, and takes a knee with 2 min left. You guys could learn from them. Of course if you keep throwing a fit like this instead of listening to reason, you could also learn from the local 5th grade team in your town. try to act grown up at least.

WE pulled Armanti with about 14mins left in the 4th quarter....we didn't think it would be advisable to start taking a knee at that point and had we left the field before the final horn, we may have forfieted the games, but I can't swear to that....xcoffeex

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 06:48 PM
Next time we are up by a lot, I think Jerry Moore should just remove all of his players from the field. I mean, even if we run it up the middle, its going to be running up the score regardless.

Hell, we might as well lose the rest of the games. People are going to complain about everything App does. Guess it comes along with the success

Appaholic
November 1st, 2008, 06:49 PM
Ahhhhh, Greysen. You obviously do not know me very well if you think I don't like App. I'm not appeciative of the rude homers that are arrogant App fans and not afraid to ask the question that the TV announcers were asking. It's a football question but arrogant App fans take personal against the person who brought it up here. xnonox

What a fokking coward.....you called it "DISGUSTING" in the App Wofford thread, then started this one.....you have no balls at all......I'll take the 10-day suspension, but it will be worth it to call you out on being a p^ssy....

app
November 1st, 2008, 06:49 PM
some of you need a big tall glass of QQ

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 06:50 PM
What a ...xrolleyesx Tough guy. xnonono2x

csubuccaneers
November 1st, 2008, 06:51 PM
this poll is ****in stupid

Grizzaholic
November 1st, 2008, 06:51 PM
xrolleyesx Tough guy. xnonono2x

Spoken by the toughestxnonono2x xnonono2x

SideLine Shooter
November 1st, 2008, 06:52 PM
If I remember correctly, last year when Wofford had us beat at there house he tried and did score with less than a minute to go to make it look worse than it was. Coach Ayers could have had them take a knee and kill the clock, but he chose to run it up.

Appaholic
November 1st, 2008, 06:54 PM
xrolleyesx Tough guy. xnonono2x

Not trying to be tough, just truthful......you enjoy pissing people off...used to think other people were overreacting to your rants, but no, you really are a dik.....xwhistlex

Edge316007
November 1st, 2008, 06:56 PM
Let's get one thing straight: The ESPN guys were complaining that App snapped the ball with :20 left on the play clock on the last drive of the game, NOT because of play selection.

And furthermore, when have the talking heads that are ESPN commentators ever proven to be the best source of intelligent conversation?

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 06:57 PM
Not trying to be tough, just truthful......you enjoy pissing people offYeah, we're all just talking about the questionable tactics of App last night..... 19Duke97, 93henfan, already123, ASU Tailgaiteer, ASU88, Bh2oson, Bojangles, bonarae, Boone4280, Check_YOSEF, Cletusfunk, coover, cougarpines, Cranium716, Deb and Todd, dgreco, DOME, dprichar, Drblankstare, DuckDuckGriz, Dukes2011, Eaglesrus, EdubAlum, El Gato, elonFirefighter, Go...gate, GoBlueHens83, gocats05, Grizaholic17, grizbeer, gsu1moretime, gsugt1, Hambone, IABison, JayJ79, JBB, Jimbo, JMad03, JMU DUUUKES, jmu007, JMU99, JmuSkinsfan, KAUMASS, Livgriz, madisonfan87, mad_dog97, Magnum_MX285, malibudude, matfu, McNeese72, Mountain Panther, MR. CHICKEN, MTGriz44, Native, NovaHater, No_Skill, Oldhen, onbison09, Pantherpower, phoenix3, Pitbull, Poly Pigskin, potus#4, Purple Knight, putter, RazorEdge19, Ronbo, Screamin_Eagle174, slostang, stevdock, Syntax Error, th0m, The Cats, ThreadStopper, Tribe4SF, trusty, Umass74, UMNation, UNI Pike, UNIFanSince1983, uofmman1122, Woof, youngterrier. Just like last year when App's fans rushed and crowded the sidelines at the champ game last year. xrolleyesx

BeauFoster
November 1st, 2008, 06:58 PM
Ahhhhh, Greysen. You obviously do not know me very well if you think I don't like App. I'm not appeciative of the rude homers that are arrogant App fans and not afraid to ask the question that the TV announcers were asking. It's a football question but arrogant App fans take it personal against the person who brought it up here. xnonox

Hope the baby is doing well.

It's painfully obvious to even non-ASU supporters that you dislike certain teams.

grizbeer
November 1st, 2008, 07:00 PM
WE pulled Armanti with about 14mins left in the 4th quarter....we didn't think it would be advisable to start taking a knee at that point and had we left the field before the final horn, we may have forfieted the games, but I can't swear to that....xcoffeexWould it have hurt to take a knee with 2 minutes left in the game? Reading this thread it seems like this is becoming a Syntax Error/App thing - I don't post here enough to understand what the is all about, but I don't really have an anti-App bias. However, I think I did get Syntax Error going, by bringing up the old Coulson column criticizing Coach Hauck for running up the score against New Hampshire in the playoffs when the Griz pulled the starters and didn't score in the 4th quarter. Since Coulsen was the beat writer for App at the time, any chance I get to bring that up I do.

I thought App was a bit excessive in the 4th quarter yesterday, , and Syntax Error has stated valid discussion points about that, but the last score was not called for, and will lead to bad blood. I understand fans wanting to defend their program and coach, but upon reflection I think Coach Moore and the App State program will regret not taking a knee on that last touchdown as the years go by. It would probably be good if the fan base could also admit they program is made up of humans and make errors - if not, well, for a long time Griz fans have been known as arrogant A-holes, most of well deserved due to a minority of the fan base - think how you want to represent your program.

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 07:01 PM
It's painfully obvious to even non-ASU supporters that you dislike certain fans.Corrected for accuracy. xpeacex

Appaholic
November 1st, 2008, 07:02 PM
Yeah, we're all just talking about the questionable tactics of App last night..... 19Duke97, 93henfan, already123, ASU Tailgaiteer, ASU88, Bh2oson, Bojangles, bonarae, Boone4280, Check_YOSEF, Cletusfunk, coover, cougarpines, Cranium716, Deb and Todd, dgreco, DOME, dprichar, Drblankstare, DuckDuckGriz, Dukes2011, Eaglesrus, EdubAlum, El Gato, elonFirefighter, Go...gate, GoBlueHens83, gocats05, Grizaholic17, grizbeer, gsu1moretime, gsugt1, Hambone, IABison, JayJ79, JBB, Jimbo, JMad03, JMU DUUUKES, jmu007, JMU99, JmuSkinsfan, KAUMASS, Livgriz, madisonfan87, mad_dog97, Magnum_MX285, malibudude, matfu, McNeese72, Mountain Panther, MR. CHICKEN, MTGriz44, Native, NovaHater, No_Skill, Oldhen, onbison09, Pantherpower, phoenix3, Pitbull, Poly Pigskin, potus#4, Purple Knight, putter, RazorEdge19, Ronbo, Screamin_Eagle174, slostang, stevdock, Syntax Error, th0m, The Cats, ThreadStopper, Tribe4SF, trusty, Umass74, UMNation, UNI Pike, UNIFanSince1983, uofmman1122, Woof, youngterrier. Just like last year when App's fans rushed and crowded the sidelines at the champ game last year. xrolleyesx

I'm not talking about running up the score...that's a valid topic....I'm being truthful about you being a coward....you tried to play innocent by expounding on the what the announcers were saying...If you are going to take a stand, don't try to hide when confronted by Lulu....xcoffeex

BeauFoster
November 1st, 2008, 07:07 PM
Corrected for accuracy. xpeacex

Oh no! Ralph doesn't like me! What will I do?

I'm still waiting for the polls concerning other schools running up the score.

Grizzaholic
November 1st, 2008, 07:08 PM
Oh no! Ralph doesn't like me! What will I do?

I'm still waiting for the polls concerning other schools running up the score.

The one with Montana will be up shortly.

Appaholic
November 1st, 2008, 07:08 PM
Would it have hurt to take a knee with 2 minutes left in the game? Reading this thread it seems like this is becoming a Syntax Error/App thing - I don't post here enough to understand what the is all about, but I don't really have an anti-App bias. However, I think I did get Syntax Error going, by bringing up the old Coulson column criticizing Coach Hauck for running up the score against New Hampshire in the playoffs when the Griz pulled the starters and didn't score in the 4th quarter. Since Coulsen was the beat writer for App at the time, any chance I get to bring that up I do.

I thought App was a bit excessive in the 4th quarter yesterday, , and Syntax Error has stated valid discussion points about that, but the last score was not called for, and will lead to bad blood. I understand fans wanting to defend their program and coach, but upon reflection I think Coach Moore and the App State program will regret not taking a knee on that last touchdown as the years go by. It would probably be good if the fan base could also admit they program is made up of humans and make errors - if not, well, for a long time Griz fans have been known as arrogant A-holes, most of well deserved due to a minority of the fan base - think how you want to represent your program.

Go back and read the Wofford/App thread and you'll see that I posted exactly what you said with 2 mins and thought they should have run the ball on 4th the previous possession.....and I would have no problem if THIS thread had been started in Smack section.....but S/E is trying to come off like he is just trying to moderate a Cost/Benefit Symposium Regarding Late Scoring Within FCS Games This Century....BS...he's made his point multiple times and, if the wofford fans aren';t crying foul, then why does he continue to pile on with the same charges...OK...we understand Moore & App might should have taken a knee..but they didn't and that doesn't make them the devil incarnate.....

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM
Oh no! Ralph doesn't like me! What will I do?I never said that. Take your personal attacks back to the MMB.

Appaholic
November 1st, 2008, 07:13 PM
However, I think I did get Syntax Error going, by bringing up the old Coulson column criticizing Coach Hauck for running up the score against New Hampshire in the playoffs when the Griz pulled the starters and didn't score in the 4th quarter. Since Coulsen was the beat writer for App at the time, any chance I get to bring that up I do.

I completely understand your reasoning, but just hate it when some folks try to paint us all as arrogant App fans...some are no doubt, every school has them.....also, S/E's intentions may have more credibility had he started a similar thread regarding the Wofford-Elon score the week before..xpeacex

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 1st, 2008, 07:15 PM
What kind of comments have Ayers and Moore made to the media about the game so far?

AppIAA
November 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM
Its really funny that not even WOFFORD fans are pissed off about it. The several that I talked to AFTER the game all said "wow you guys are really good and deserved to beat us like that" or something to that effect.

But no matter what points I prove (which people seem to ignore) there is not going to be an end to this.

Once again, where are the threads on these scores?

Maine over Iona 55-7
South Dakota over North Greenville 63-0
Mass over Rhode Island 49-0

All of which have greater margins of defeat than App did and all of which the winning team scored in the last quarter.

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM
What kind of comments have Ayers and Moore made to the media about the game so far?Those two head coaches are very classy.

Appaholic
November 1st, 2008, 07:22 PM
Those two head coaches are very classy.

xrotatehx xconfusedx xrotatehx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51381&page=45

BeauFoster
November 1st, 2008, 07:23 PM
I never said that. Take your personal attacks back to the MMB.

Right, quoting me and saying you don't like certain fans.

How come we never see you on the MMB?

coover
November 1st, 2008, 07:24 PM
This poll has been overrun by dishonest App State fans. It should be moved to the "SmacK' section.

There is no question that App State ran up the score. The way they played in the 2nd half defines "running up the score."

Yes, App State has the best team, at least between them and Wofford. They may even be the best team in FCS football, but they'll have to prove that in the playoffs. But humiliating Wofford the way they did was something they should not be proud of ... they should hang their heads in shame ... Until the game last evening, App State was just another good football team. I neither rooted for them or against them. Now, I shall root for any team playing them. And I won't hold my breath, but I hope that the administration sees the coach for what he is and removes him from his position.

SoCon48
November 1st, 2008, 07:25 PM
Did all these teams run up the score on their opponents?

Furman v Mars Hill 62-18
Wofford v Chat 56-7
Wofford v Elon 55-20
JMU v NC Central 56-7
JMU v Hofsta 56-0
Villanova v VMI 52-17

Consider, too that the last score was by ASU's 2nd string QB.

OldFootballGuy
November 1st, 2008, 07:25 PM
No game is decided in the 2nd quarter, but I'll bet in the 4th, when USC has their 4th or 5th string guys in who really need some playing time, and this is their only chance to score in their entire college career, USC doesn't go for it on 4th down, and takes a knee with 2 min left. You guys could learn from them. Of course if you keep throwing a fit like this instead of listening to reason, you could also learn from the local 5th grade team in your town. try to act grown up at least.

Not an ASU fan, in fact I predicted a Wofford blowout (I like my crow with barbecue sauce and a little salt and pepper), but if you think what you are posting is reason then you are sadly mistaken. A football game is 60 minutes. If you don't play the full 60 then you don't deserve the privilege of being on the field. All this talk of ASU running up the score seems like a lot of sour grapes from a lot of very jealous fans. I had the chance to meet Jerry Moore this summer. There's not a finer more humble man on the planet. He's already been bitten once this season by calling off the dogs at halftime. I'd say he learned the lesson. I'd say he's also aware that WCU blew a 28 point 4th quarter lead just a week ago. He pulled the starters after the score to go up by 32. That Wofford was unable to stop the 2nd team offense with the 5th team tailback is not Jerry Moore's problem. As a former coach, I would have been much more upset with my opponent for taking a knee with 12 minutes to go than I would have been for them to keep scoring. This whole thread is ridiculous. These are young men we're talking about here not six year-olds who need to have their egos massaged. ASU did what they were supposed to do, Wofford didn't. When the shoe is on the other foot, and it will be one day, I would say the same thing. Regardless of whether they are 1st team or 5th team, the offense is on the field to score and the defense is out there to stop them. All this drivel about taking a knee equating class and thinking about the feelings of your opponent is just so much PC crap.

bench
November 1st, 2008, 07:30 PM
This is so stupid.

Throwing the ball with your subs in the game when you're leading by 32 isn't running up the score. That's called "running your offense." Things like calling trick plays, fake punts, onside kicks, calling defensive timeouts so you can get the ball back, leaving your starting QB in the game so he can break a record - that's running up the score. DeAndre Pressley doesn't need practice taking a knee, he needs practice reading a defense in a game situation. And for the record, his passing stats for those three drives in the fourth was 3-3 for 15 yards. Not exactly what I'd call airing it out.

Sorry if it offends anyone's delicate sensibilities, but if subs getting some playing time and having the audacity to actually try while they're out there is considered running up the score, you need to find a new hobby.

BeauFoster
November 1st, 2008, 07:31 PM
This poll has been overrun by dishonest App State fans. It should be moved to the "SmacK' section.

There is no question that App State ran up the score. The way they played in the 2nd half defines "running up the score."

Yes, App State has the best team, at least between them and Wofford. They may even be the best team in FCS football, but they'll have to prove that in the playoffs. But humiliating Wofford the way they did was something they should not be proud of ... they should hang their heads in shame ... Until the game last evening, App State was just another good football team. I neither rooted for them or against them. Now, I shall root for any team playing them. And I won't hold my breath, but I hope that the administration sees the coach for what he is and removes him from his position.

Are you kidding?

Grizzaholic
November 1st, 2008, 07:34 PM
If Wofford has a problem with what App St. did Wofford should put up a bunch, but then SE will come out and put up a poll on how Wofford was running up the score and this 200 page thing will happen again.

grizbeer
November 1st, 2008, 07:34 PM
All this drivel about taking a knee equating class and thinking about the feelings of your opponent is just so much PC crap. it was 63- 24 with 2 min remaining - do you really think the game was in jeopardy, or scoring that last touchdown added anything to the game but bad blood (and maybe some vicarious testosterone for the fan base)?

DSUrocks07
November 1st, 2008, 07:35 PM
Did all these teams run up the score on their opponents?

Furman v Mars Hill 62-18
Wofford v Chat 56-7
Wofford v Elon 55-20
JMU v NC Central 56-7
JMU v Hofsta 56-0
Villanova v VMI 52-17

Consider, too that the last score was by ASU's 2nd string QB.

Nope just that one xlolx

ronpayne
November 1st, 2008, 07:40 PM

Right. And the Wofford fans who commented on here don't count, right?

Let's move to next week. And I hope we play your team someday as well ;-)

OldFootballGuy
November 1st, 2008, 07:41 PM
it was 63- 24 with 2 min remaining - do you really think the game was in jeopardy, or scoring that last touchdown added anything to the game but bad blood (and maybe some vicarious testosterone for the fan base)?

Doesn't matter. The offense is out there to do a job and the defense is out there to stop them. Not playing to the end of the game is a far bigger sin than worrying about somebody crying because the reserves did what they were supposed to do.

DSUrocks07
November 1st, 2008, 07:47 PM

xnutsx xnutsx xnutsx

That has got to be the funniest sentence that I've ever read in my life.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

while we're at it, lets get rid of the playoff system as well.
If we're so worried about the feelings of our opponents.
Just give all the FCS schools a trophy for completing their season.

http://www.eldoradonews.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/sos-trophy.jpg

"YAY we're number 1!!!"
And all that stupid PC crap. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

If everyone wins...then no one wins. xnodx

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM
In case people here did not read this in this thread, the starting offensive line and many starters on defense played until the end of the game. xtwocentsx

Grizzaholic
November 1st, 2008, 07:51 PM
In case people here did not read this in this thread, the starting offensive line and many starters on defense played until the end of the game. xtwocentsx

So what! This isn't grade school football where everybody get a trophy and nobody gets their feelings hurt. If the players cannot handle it they shouldn't be playing the game.

And if you cannot handle it you shouldn't be watching the game. Pick another sport to watch that doesn't have a lot of scoring.

Like Soccer.

DB_Atlantic10
November 1st, 2008, 07:53 PM
If App had lost 70-24 the very last of my worries would be about the other team running up the score. Good point..... the question is, how in the H$ll did they actually get to 70 against the supposed #3 team in the country? That's the question?xnonono2x

DSUrocks07
November 1st, 2008, 07:58 PM
So what! This isn't grade school football where everybody get a trophy and nobody gets their feelings hurt. If the players cannot handle it they shouldn't be playing the game.

And if you cannot handle it you shouldn't be watching the game. Pick another sport to watch that doesn't have a lot of scoring.

Like Soccer.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

And even if they did "run up the score" then that just adds to this rivalry. Which is a good thing last time I checked. It puts a chip on Wofford's shoulder to return the favor next year.

Americans (and the rest of the world for that matter) are getting soft. What did Herm Edwards say...? xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I

Appstate29
November 1st, 2008, 07:59 PM

Bench and Old Football Guy are right IMO. I was at the game to the bitter end, and I never thought that we were running up the score. UNLIKE what Ralph says, we were not AIRING IT OUT late, Pressley was 3-3 for 15 yards. We were NOT going for it on every 4th down, we went for it once, on like 4th and 1 inside the 40 yard line. Too long for a FG, too short for a punt. This is our offense. We run it. This is the 1st game we have put together 4 quarters, I was very happy with the performance. Nobody got humiliated, DeAndre Pressley got much needed experience. If you are unhappy about young men going into a game and trying to prove themselves to coaches in game situations, well then maybe you should find anygiven1stgradeteeballwhereeveryonegetsatrophyand wedon'tkeepscore.com

as to what Ralph says up top, sure we had a few LBs and DBs in that were starters, only due to the fact that injuries have depleted us to the point that at some positions we have only one real candidate. If the coaching staff thought they should be in, I'm ok with it xthumbsupx xthumbsupx
People should get over themSElves.

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 08:00 PM
Good point..... the question is, how in the H$ll did they actually get to 70 against the supposed #3 team in the country? That's the question?xnonono2xScoring Summary:
1st 12:55 ASU - Ben Jorden 23 yd pass from Armanti Edwards (Jason Vitaris kick) 5 plays, 42 yards, TOP 2:05, WOF 0 - ASU 7
10:07 WOF - Dane Romero 17 yd run (Patrick Mugan kick) 6 plays, 70 yards, TOP 2:43, WOF 7 - ASU 7
08:09 ASU - Ben Jorden 48 yd pass from Armanti Edwards (Jason Vitaris kick) 4 plays, 77 yards, TOP 1:52, WOF 7 - ASU 14
07:00 WOF - Ben Widmyer 12 yd run (Patrick Mugan kick) 3 plays, 71 yards, TOP 1:04, WOF 14 - ASU 14
02:00 ASU - Robert Welton 5 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick) 10 plays, 51 yards, TOP 4:52, WOF 14 - ASU 21
2nd 13:08 ASU - Armanti Edwards 1 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick) 9 plays, 69 yards, TOP 3:38, WOF 14 - ASU 28
10:59 ASU - Brian Quick 58 yd pass from Armanti Edwards (Jason Vitaris kick) 2 plays, 61 yards, TOP 0:36, WOF 14 - ASU 35
04:32 ASU - Devin Radford 47 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick) 4 plays, 75 yards, TOP 1:31, WOF 14 - ASU 42
3rd 04:00 WOF - Patrick Mugan 43 yd field goal 7 plays, 56 yards, TOP 3:25, WOF 17 - ASU 42
03:52 ASU - Brian Quick 50 yd pass from Armanti Edwards (Jason Vitaris kick) 1 play, 50 yards, TOP 0:08, WOF 17 - ASU 49
00:49 WOF - Dane Romero 5 yd run (Patrick Mugan kick) 7 plays, 64 yards, TOP 2:57, WOF 24 - ASU 49
4th 14:39 ASU - Brian Quick 31 yd pass from Armanti Edwards (Jason Vitaris kick) 4 plays, 63 yards, TOP 1:02, WOF 24 - ASU 56
05:43 ASU - Josh Jackson 15 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick) 7 plays, 42 yards, TOP 3:47, WOF 24 - ASU 63
01:34 ASU - DeAndre Presley 5 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick) 3 plays, 60 yards, TOP 0:59, WOF 24 - ASU 70

Grizzaholic
November 1st, 2008, 08:01 PM
Scoring Summary:
1st 12:55 ASU - Ben Jorden 23 yd pass from Armanti Edwards (Jason Vitaris kick) 5 plays, 42 yards, TOP 2:05, WOF 0 - ASU 7
10:07 WOF - Dane Romero 17 yd run (Patrick Mugan kick) 6 plays, 70 yards, TOP 2:43, WOF 7 - ASU 7
08:09 ASU - Ben Jorden 48 yd pass from Armanti Edwards (Jason Vitaris kick) 4 plays, 77 yards, TOP 1:52, WOF 7 - ASU 14
07:00 WOF - Ben Widmyer 12 yd run (Patrick Mugan kick) 3 plays, 71 yards, TOP 1:04, WOF 14 - ASU 14
02:00 ASU - Robert Welton 5 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick) 10 plays, 51 yards, TOP 4:52, WOF 14 - ASU 21
2nd 13:08 ASU - Armanti Edwards 1 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick) 9 plays, 69 yards, TOP 3:38, WOF 14 - ASU 28
10:59 ASU - Brian Quick 58 yd pass from Armanti Edwards (Jason Vitaris kick) 2 plays, 61 yards, TOP 0:36, WOF 14 - ASU 35
04:32 ASU - Devin Radford 47 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick) 4 plays, 75 yards, TOP 1:31, WOF 14 - ASU 42
3rd 04:00 WOF - Patrick Mugan 43 yd field goal 7 plays, 56 yards, TOP 3:25, WOF 17 - ASU 42
03:52 ASU - Brian Quick 50 yd pass from Armanti Edwards (Jason Vitaris kick) 1 play, 50 yards, TOP 0:08, WOF 17 - ASU 49
00:49 WOF - Dane Romero 5 yd run (Patrick Mugan kick) 7 plays, 64 yards, TOP 2:57, WOF 24 - ASU 49
4th 14:39 ASU - Brian Quick 31 yd pass from Armanti Edwards (Jason Vitaris kick) 4 plays, 63 yards, TOP 1:02, WOF 24 - ASU 56
05:43 ASU - Josh Jackson 15 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick) 7 plays, 42 yards, TOP 3:47, WOF 24 - ASU 63
01:34 ASU - DeAndre Presley 5 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick) 3 plays, 60 yards, TOP 0:59, WOF 24 - ASU 70

Thanks MR. Obvious.

appstate1998
November 1st, 2008, 08:01 PM
not sure if anyone has posted the Post Game quotes or not but here are a few...

Ben Jorden

“We felt like we had to go out and keep putting up touchdowns on them because field goals are ok but it’s not enough against a team like Wofford. Even when they’re down two or three touchdowns they’re never out of the game, so we felt like we couldn’t let up on them.

Coach Ayers

“If you give them multiple chances. More chances than you would normally give them; you come up with a score like that.”

Coach Moore

“Wofford’s a great team offensively and defensively. They’re a very well-coached football team and I don’t think the final score is indicative of how the two teams played tonight.

rudy1648
November 1st, 2008, 08:08 PM

When App St beat Wofford by 46 points tonight, did you think it was inappropriate for them to be trying long pass plays and going for it --------- on fourth down?

It seems to me that you had a forgone conclusion about whether ASU ran up the score or not? Did you just start the poll to bolster your own opinion,,or did you really want to know what others thought? Why did you not just state your opinion and let others agree or disagree? Funny thing is, when some said they did not think ASU ran up the score, you seemed in shock. Don't ask the question if you are not going to be happy with the answer!

Cincy App
November 1st, 2008, 08:23 PM
In case people here did not read this in this thread, the starting offensive line played until the end of the game. xtwocentsx

Another inaccurate quote. The starting line did not play until the end of the game. In fact, the following OL reserves played in the game - #62 Thomas, #67 Brown, #70 Ruff, #71 Mills, #73 Harris, #77 Newton, and #78 Marshall.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your story...

Grizzaholic
November 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM
It seems to me that you had a forgone conclusion about whether ASU ran up the score or not? Did you just start the poll to bolster your own opinion,,or did you really want to know what others thought? Why did you not just state your opinion and let others agree or disagree? Funny thing is, when some said they did not think ASU ran up the score, you seemed in shock. Don't ask the question if you are not going to be happy with the answer!

Poll was started because SE needed attention.

bench
November 1st, 2008, 08:31 PM
I'm not talking about running up the score...that's a valid topic....I'm being truthful about you being a coward....you tried to play innocent by expounding on the what the announcers were saying...If you are going to take a stand, don't try to hide when confronted by Lulu....xcoffeex

Dr. Bench's clinical diagnosis: subject seeks victim status through attention-seeking, passive-aggressive behaviors

Syntax Error
November 1st, 2008, 08:34 PM
It seems to me that you had a forgone conclusion about whether ASU ran up the score...I agreed with the announcers and wondered what everyone else thought. Certainly not shocked that almost all App fans here disagreed with the announcers (and some personally attacked me).
Another inaccurate quote. The starting line did not play until the end of the game...That's what an App fan said in this thread. Offensive and defensive starters were in until the end. xpeacex