PDA

View Full Version : FCS playoff at-large invite for Prairie View?

Panther88
October 31st, 2008, 09:05 AM
Possible? Yea? Nea?

If PV wins out w/ a 9-1 record (one loss occurring to Grambling), is it possible? The canceled game vs SHSU certainly hurt our chances but I'm trying to stay positive about this. I don't think PV will win the SWAC West due to the 3-headed coin toss that could likely occur. lol

smallcollegefbfan
October 31st, 2008, 09:11 AM
Looking at your results so far, you have had a nice season but lack a quality win and with the polls having an influence this year it gives you almost no chance since you're not ranked. Your GPI and not playing SHSU really kills your chances as well. Morehouse is D2 and Texas College is NAIA (I believe) and those wins don't even count by the committee.

Prairie View A&M (7-1,4-1)
Aug 30, 2008 * vs Texas Southern W 34-14
Sep 06, 2008 TEXAS COLLEGE W 53-0
Sep 20, 2008 at Mississippi Valley W 49-15
Sep 27, 2008 vs Morehouse W 28-17
Oct 04, 2008 * vs Grambling State L 16-40
Oct 11, 2008 * ALABAMA STATE W 27-6
Oct 18, 2008 * at Univ. Ark-Pine Bluff W 15-0
Oct 25, 2008 * SOUTHERN W 24-23

813Jag
October 31st, 2008, 09:11 AM
Possible? Yea? Nea?

If PV wins out w/ a 9-1 record (one loss occurring to Grambling), is it possible? The canceled game vs SHSU certainly hurt our chances but I'm trying to stay positive about this. I don't think PV will win the SWAC West due to the 3-headed coin toss that could likely occur. lol
That SHSU game would have helped your case alot. Hopefully all sides of that coin will have SU logos. xlolx You can thank the SWAC for a horrible OOC record this season.

KAUMASS
October 31st, 2008, 09:12 AM
Grambling is 44th currently in the GPI, which PV has already lost to.. PV is #72 currently in the GPI. I will politely say "not a chance".

Eight Legger
October 31st, 2008, 09:17 AM
If the playoff field were 32 teams, you would have no chance...48 teams? Maybe.

ysubigred
October 31st, 2008, 09:17 AM
Grambling is 44th currently in the GPI, which PV has already lost to.. PV is #72 currently in the GPI. I will politely say "not a chance".

Ditto.... xbowx

Mr. Tiger
October 31st, 2008, 09:19 AM
I've thought about this and I wish it could happen because the PV program really deserves it, but I doubt it. PV needs a lot of help to get there. If the Sam Houston game wasn't canceled and PV had won that one, then I would feel much better about the Panthers chance of making the playoffs. That was suppose to be PV's signature non-conference game. But nevertheless, if PV finishes 9-1, the coaching staff and players deserve a big xthumbsupx because that program has come a long, long way. And I hope the school can hold on to coach Frazier because North Carolina A&T and others will be calling him up. xnodx

andy7171
October 31st, 2008, 09:25 AM
Actually in the eyes of the selection comittee, the best your record could be is 7-1. Unless I am wrong in thinking Texac College and Morehouse are sub D.I.

I don't think you have a chance.

nmatsen
October 31st, 2008, 09:39 AM
Do you think that UNI has a chance to play in the Orange Bowl?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A

mikebigg
October 31st, 2008, 09:57 AM
PV's lone loss came to Grambling, who despite being ranked like 44th, lost to Northwestern who lost to Cal Poly by a lot. Not that Gram, Northwestern, PV aren't good teams but the rankings (somewhat based on past performances) hurt the chances of getting in. But as Mr. Tiger stated...xthumbsupx to PV and Staff!

813Jag
October 31st, 2008, 10:07 AM
PV's lone loss came to Grambling, who despite being ranked like 44th, lost to Northwestern who lost to Cal Poly by a lot. Not that Gram, Northwestern, PV aren't good teams but the rankings (somewhat based on past performances) hurt the chances of getting in. But as Mr. Tiger stated...xthumbsupx to PV and Staff!
Plus beating a 3 loss Southern team doesn't help. If Southern had beat FAMU and TennSU, it could have made that win look better.

Still a good win for the Panthers.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 31st, 2008, 10:21 AM
I wish it could work out for the Panthers but according to how they weigh the decisions on who gets in or not; I doubt it.

Here's to making it to Birmingham! xthumbsupx

813Jag
October 31st, 2008, 10:24 AM
Beware the SU sided coin. You know the league favors us. xlolx

TexasTerror
October 31st, 2008, 10:26 AM
When is the coin toss taking place? If it's after a tie occurs, than PV would have no chance at the playoffs because they'd be held up waiting for the coin toss...

The others are right, PV has got no GPI in range to have a worthwhile argument and would have a tougher time than R.A's prediction that the MEAC gets a second team in...

gr8ness97
October 31st, 2008, 10:35 AM
Sorry PV. Not gonna happen..

But Im sure you knew that before I posted :D

jmufan999
October 31st, 2008, 11:05 AM
it SUCKS that you can have such a good record but not get in. you can only play the games on your schedule. it definitely sucks for you, but you're not getting in.

on the other hand, we don't know what your record would be if you were in the CAA or SoCon. so i don't feel REALLY bad. just a little bad. :)

3rd Coast Tiger
October 31st, 2008, 11:11 AM
Beware the SU sided coin. You know the league favors us. xlolx

Yeah! We all know what SWAC stands for: Southern Will Always Cheat! xsmiley_wix

813Jag
October 31st, 2008, 11:26 AM
When is the coin toss taking place? If it's after a tie occurs, than PV would have no chance at the playoffs because they'd be held up waiting for the coin toss...

The others are right, PV has got no GPI in range to have a worthwhile argument and would have a tougher time than R.A's prediction that the MEAC gets a second team in...
I'm sure the toss will occur around the Bayou Classic.

It's not our fault they love us. xlolx

DSUrocks07
October 31st, 2008, 11:26 AM
The others are right, PV has got no GPI in range to have a worthwhile argument and would have a tougher time than DSUrocks's prediction that the MEAC gets a second team in...

xnonox

fixed xpeacex

Panther88
October 31st, 2008, 12:07 PM
Sorry PV. Not gonna happen..

But Im sure you knew that before I posted :D

;) Right. lol

Damn I wish there was some way to make this happen. Something has to give! :D

Mr. Tiger
October 31st, 2008, 12:16 PM

xlolx xnodx

appfan2008
October 31st, 2008, 12:41 PM
A GPI in the 70's will not cut it...

Panther88
October 31st, 2008, 01:11 PM
A GPI in the 70's will not cut it...

Where's the computer? I have a few languages w/ algorithms I'd like to put on that guy! :D

If (fcsSquad == to_upper("Prairie View%"))
{
SET gpiRank=7;
}
else
{
SET gpiRank = calculateGPI(fcsSquad);
}

:D Where's that GPI program????!!!!!!

TexasTerror
October 31st, 2008, 01:13 PM
Considering how poorly SHSU has played, yep -- would have been nice if you beat us and it would've been your best win on the season, but our GPI is not great either...

Syntax Error
October 31st, 2008, 01:16 PM
Where's the computer? I have a few languages w/ algorithms I'd like to put on that guy!Computers are pretty kind to PVAMU, #58 here on the laundry list:
http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 31st, 2008, 02:14 PM

BS.xmadx

JagHammer
October 31st, 2008, 02:38 PM
BS.xmadx

You're so right about that. Last week, our biggest opponents were the refs. Sorry bastards...xmadx

JagHammer
October 31st, 2008, 02:38 PM
Plus beating a 3 loss Southern team doesn't help. If Southern had beat FAMU and TennSU, it could have made that win look better.

Still a good win for the Panthers.

Good win by the refs...

Panther88
October 31st, 2008, 02:42 PM
Considering how poorly SHSU has played, yep -- would have been nice if you beat us and it would've been your best win on the season, but our GPI is not great either...

TT, that's why I bytched @ some of your alums bytching and moaning. I REALLY wanted Sam to do overly well and I WANTED them to win the SLC. If we beat you, that solidifies our position. I'm sure those who understand football would've wanted to root for PV's success as well. What does it gain if you beat a team that then loses all of it's games? Piss poor train of thought IMO.

Hopefully next year SHSU will get it together (soundly) and also next year hopefully we'll continue to try and put our best foot forward.

mikebigg
October 31st, 2008, 02:42 PM
It might not come down to a coin flip... none of the frontrunners can afford to overlook the teams left. Grambling has no more home games on its schedule...PV has to travel to Alabama A&M...SU coming off a loss to face UAPB coming off a win (PB won past two matchups) and a neutral site game in Mobile against Bama State. Someone get caught napping it won't be any need for a coin flip.

leatherneck177
October 31st, 2008, 02:43 PM
Looking at your results so far, you have had a nice season but lack a quality win and with the polls having an influence this year it gives you almost no chance since you're not ranked. Your GPI and not playing SHSU really kills your chances as well. Morehouse is D2 and Texas College is NAIA (I believe) and those wins don't even count by the committee.

Prairie View A&M (7-1,4-1)
Aug 30, 2008 * vs Texas Southern W 34-14
Sep 06, 2008 TEXAS COLLEGE W 53-0
Sep 20, 2008 at Mississippi Valley W 49-15
Sep 27, 2008 vs Morehouse W 28-17
Oct 04, 2008 * vs Grambling State L 16-40
Oct 11, 2008 * ALABAMA STATE W 27-6
Oct 18, 2008 * at Univ. Ark-Pine Bluff W 15-0
Oct 25, 2008 * SOUTHERN W 24-23

Well put. There is absolutely no way they will get in. Not this year at least. The playoff field is already crowded.

Panther88
October 31st, 2008, 02:44 PM
It might not come down to a coin flip... none of the frontrunners can afford to overlook the teams left. Grambling has no more home games on its schedule...PV has to travel to Alabama A&M...SU coming off a loss to face UAPB coming off a win (PB won past two matchups) and a neutral site game in Mobile against Bama State. Someone get caught napping it won't be any need for a coin flip.

It's a week to week wait and see thing Biggs. But w/ Grambling in the driver's seat, I don't think you all are ready to relinquish the steering wheel to the SWAC West crown and ultimately the SWAC Championship.

Maybe we need to carjack the SWAC championship car. lol xlolx

coover
October 31st, 2008, 02:45 PM
Do you think that UNI has a chance to play in the Orange Bowl?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A

That's cruel!

mikebigg
October 31st, 2008, 02:56 PM
It's a week to week wait and see thing Biggs. But w/ Grambling in the driver's seat, I don't think you all are ready to relinquish the steering wheel to the SWAC West crown and ultimately the SWAC Championship.

Maybe we need to carjack the SWAC championship car. lol xlolx

Still...we're a young team. True our defense has jelled and has a lot of vets but the offense is relatively new from last season. I think we had 4 returning starters (including a true soph rb) but we lost Landers (grades) and Karim (OG-injury) before the season. Defense has keep it out of harms way and offense has been good about protecting the ball and scoring enuff to get us over the hump.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 31st, 2008, 10:23 PM
You're so right about that. Last week, our biggest opponents were the refs. Sorry bastards...xmadx

Man it was unreal what the refs did in the 4th quarter. How do you have 2 penalties on one team and one on the other team how do you replay the down. xmadx Pv came into the game as the worst penalized team in FCS, and in the 4th quarter they didn't call not one penalty on PV. PV and Jackson State are the most undiscipline teams I have saw in a long time.

DFW HOYA
November 1st, 2008, 08:33 AM
PV has had a great year but the committee will see Texas College and Morehouse and discount those wins.

TexasTerror
November 1st, 2008, 09:02 AM
PV has had a great year but the committee will see Texas College and Morehouse and discount those wins.

They have. They are sub-Div I wins. They'd do the same for any program, whether they were playing a Div II Delta State or an NAIA Concordia (AL)....

3rd Coast Tiger
November 1st, 2008, 09:47 AM
They have. They are sub-Div I wins. They'd do the same for any program, whether they were playing a Div II Delta State or an NAIA Concordia (AL)....

Correct! Or a program that plays a Div II East Central Oklahoma located in the central eastern region of Oklahoma.

TexasTerror
November 1st, 2008, 10:58 AM
Correct! Or a program that plays a Div II East Central Oklahoma located in the central eastern region of Oklahoma.

Correct! Hence, the reason that all FCS teams that want to make the playoffs probably need to schedule just one at most. The programs that schedule two and want a sniff of the playoffs need to take care of business the rest of the way...

Panther88
November 2nd, 2008, 05:10 PM

As expained above. But, we did what we had to do w/ the schedule we have.

I certainly wish there was an outside chance. I'm still waiting on the admin psswd for the GPI computer so I can update the pkg w/ GPI Indicator v2.0. LOL!

R.A.
November 2nd, 2008, 07:09 PM
Computers are pretty kind to PVAMU, #58 here on the laundry list:
http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

What was Jackson State's GPI in 1997 when they made the playoffs?

Prairie View is the ultimate feel good story.

And we honestly never know which way the committee will vote.

Having an actual SWAC team available for the playoffs rarely happens... you just never really know.

PantherRob82
November 2nd, 2008, 09:35 PM

Having an actual SWAC team available for the playoffs rarely happens... you just never really know.

We'll take PV A&M in the Dome first round. Committee, make it happen.xthumbsupx

griz&beer
November 2nd, 2008, 09:59 PM

NO NO you get Polly.:D

Poly Pigskin
November 2nd, 2008, 10:11 PM
NO NO you get Polly.:D

Hey, we want PV!!

Big Dawg
November 2nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
PV isn't ready for the playoffs, just yet. However, if they make it and win in the 1st round, I am gonna clown the school who gets beat...LOL

Mr. Tiger
November 2nd, 2008, 11:45 PM

The SWAC had a better year in 1997. This year, there was too much youth in the conference. Few quality wins. We lost a close one to Western Illinois on the road in 1997. Southern was SWAC Champs that year.

Panther88
November 2nd, 2008, 11:56 PM

Hey, we want PV!!

Oh, we want both of you just as bad. lol :D

Lets make it happen. We need to create some world-wide chatter on behalf of PVAMU. I hope the "haters" can move past their personal hate and look history squarely in the eyes w/ this. It's a unique experience and I want all to enjoy the ride that we long-time pundits have been on while supporting our athletic team(s). :D

LETS GO PV!!! FCS Playoffs 2008!!!! :D

Panther88
November 2nd, 2008, 11:59 PM
PV isn't ready for the playoffs, just yet. However, if they make it and win in the 1st round, I am gonna clown the school who gets beat...LOL

What makes you think PV isn't ready for the playoffs Big Dawg? Which game have you seen up close and personal that makes you think we're not ready?

We play some pretty good defense unlike certain squads, who shall remain nameless xreadx , and I think that's what gives us a certain type edge.

We're ready for FCS ball. We run from no one.

JALMOND
November 3rd, 2008, 12:29 AM
Its a stretch but the only way I see it (just my opinion, does not amount to a hill of beans) is to get Cal Poly to somehow get out of their game with Wisconsin, get them to schedule you, and make the game pretty respectable. Otherwise, I'm afraid you'll be staying home.

blackcaesar3k5
November 3rd, 2008, 03:26 AM
PVAM does has chance to make the playoffs and probably comes way with a victory in the process.

th0m
November 3rd, 2008, 03:34 AM
Oh, we want both of you just as bad. lol :D

Lets make it happen. We need to create some world-wide chatter on behalf of PVAMU. I hope the "haters" can move past their personal hate and look history squarely in the eyes w/ this. It's a unique experience and I want all to enjoy the ride that we long-time pundits have been on while supporting our athletic team(s). :D

LETS GO PV!!! FCS Playoffs 2008!!!! :D

Disregard the fact that there are a dozen more deserving teams out there.

Panther88
November 3rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
Disregard the fact that there are a dozen more deserving teams out there.

Who th0m? Where th0m? What are their FCS records? 4-5? 3-7? lol

Is it right to penalize a pretty good team that played the schedule which was presented it? You're sounding awfully familiar like those BCS people who don't care for the non-BCSers invading their $$$$, I mean, invading their precious BCS (Boise Sts, TCUs, Tulsas, Utes, et al).

89Hen
November 3rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
Don't need to read through this thread.

NO xcoffeex

Panther88
November 3rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
Don't need to read through this thread.

NO xcoffeex

Way to contribute 89Hen!!!!

Good job! xthumbsupx

89Hen
November 3rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
Way to contribute 89Hen!!!!

Good job! xthumbsupx
It's that easy of question. There is no way PVAM gets any consideration. xpeacex

19Duke97
November 3rd, 2008, 11:20 AM
In a word, no. PV is not one of the 16 best teams in the nation.

Native
November 3rd, 2008, 12:02 PM

Is it right to penalize a pretty good team that played the schedule which was presented it? You're sounding awfully familiar like those BCS people who don't care for the non-BCSers invading their $$$$, I mean, invading their precious BCS (Boise Sts, TCUs, Tulsas, Utes, et al).

You are asking the wrong questions.

Here are some alternative questions:

What is the justification for Prairie View to jump ahead of any of the 20 or so teams which will have 8 or more D1 wins against much tougher schedules? Do your homework. Build the case.

Why doesn't the SWAC participate in the auto-bid playoff system?

Why doesn't Prairie View join a conference that participates in the auto-bid playoff system?

Scheduling is an important part of any football program. Why didn't Prairie View establish a schedule worthy of being invited to the playoffs?

What is Prairie View's average attendance and revenue stream? It was lprobably 3,000 at the ESPNU Thursday night game against Alcorn in 2006. Great game, though! Nice folks, too.

The playoffs are not the cash cow that you think. It's the other way around in some cases. The Alcorn-Jackson State Capital City Classic draws 45,000 every year. How many playoff games draw more than 30,000? Not very many.

Good luck!

Panther88
November 3rd, 2008, 12:25 PM
You are asking the wrong questions.

Here are some alternative questions:

What is the justification for Prairie View to jump ahead of any of the 20 or so teams which will have 8 or more D1 wins against much tougher schedules? Do your homework. Build the case.

Why doesn't the SWAC participate in the auto-bid playoff system?

Why doesn't Prairie View join a conference that participates in the auto-bid playoff system?

Scheduling is an important part of any football program. Why didn't Prairie View establish a schedule worthy of being invited to the playoffs?

What is Prairie View's average attendance and revenue stream? It was lprobably 3,000 at the ESPNU Thursday night game against Alcorn in 2006. Great game, though! Nice folks, too.

The playoffs are not the cash cow that you think. It's the other way around in some cases. The Alcorn-Jackson State Capital City Classic draws 45,000 every year. How many playoff games draw more than 30,000? Not very many.

Good luck!

Excellent questions Native and w/ those considered, the case is very, very weak for PV to participate.

But lol, ***** happens and I'm hoping it happens upon PVAMU regarding potential FCS playoff selection. If a 4-6 squad makes the FCS invite, I'll lose faith permanently in their ability to discern "talent."

Big Dawg
November 3rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
What makes you think PV isn't ready for the playoffs Big Dawg? Which game have you seen up close and personal that makes you think we're not ready?

We play some pretty good defense unlike certain squads, who shall remain nameless xreadx , and I think that's what gives us a certain type edge.

We're ready for FCS ball. We run from no one.

I actually caught the Morehouse game...yeah ya'll ain't ready

I hope ya'll make it but hey...and what team doesn't play defense, sir?

Native
November 3rd, 2008, 01:13 PM
Excellent questions Native and w/ those considered, the case is very, very weak for PV to participate.

But lol, ***** happens and I'm hoping it happens upon PVAMU regarding potential FCS playoff selection. If a 4-6 squad makes the FCS invite, I'll lose faith permanently in their ability to discern "talent."

Nothing below seven D1 wins will make it in, unless it's from an auto-bid conference.

As I recall, PVAM has a reasonably functional administration, yes? Supports athletics? Schedule a couple of non-conference stretch games against top 20 FCS teams and kick butt. Gotta go higher than MEAC. They are not very strong this year. No guarantees, but that will get the ball rolling.

Panther88
November 3rd, 2008, 01:53 PM
Nothing below seven D1 wins will make it in, unless it's from an auto-bid conference.

As I recall, PVAM has a reasonably functional administration, yes? Supports athletics? Schedule a couple of non-conference stretch games against top 20 FCS teams and kick butt. Gotta go higher than MEAC. They are not very strong this year. No guarantees, but that will get the ball rolling.

It's my understanding that a date w/ an FBSer is on the horizon. :( It certainly makes zero sense to jump from the cliff after recalling that one has no wings and cannot fly. :(

7 IC FCS, 1 OOC FBS, 1 OOC FCS. That's what we're currently looking @ for '09.

lizrdgizrd
November 3rd, 2008, 02:43 PM
It's my understanding that a date w/ an FBSer is on the horizon. :( It certainly makes zero sense to jump from the cliff after recalling that one has no wings and cannot fly. :(

7 IC FCS, 1 OOC FBS, 1 OOC FCS. That's what we're currently looking @ for '09.

That's only 9 games. What happened to the other 2? xconfusedx

89Hen
November 3rd, 2008, 02:55 PM
If a 4-6 squad makes the FCS invite, I'll lose faith permanently in their ability to discern "talent."
Don't worry Panther... a 7-4 team will squeak in with an at-large once every 20 years, but that's as low as it goes. xpeacex

Panther88
November 3rd, 2008, 06:20 PM
That's only 9 games. What happened to the other 2? xconfusedx

TBD lizard. :(

DSUrocks07
November 3rd, 2008, 06:38 PM
TBD lizard. :(

Forgive him.
He's used to having full schedules announced months in advance xlolx

lizrdgizrd
November 4th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Forgive him.
He's used to having full schedules announced months in advance xlolx

Who me? This is the first time in years that we haven't been waiting for our schedule to come out in June. xlolx

th0m
November 4th, 2008, 08:59 AM

You're saying, let Prairie View A&M in the playoffs because they have played atrocious for the last couple of years and are turning things around this year. Again, disregard the fact that there are more deserving teams that should be placed ahead of PV A&M. Who's talking about 3-7 teams?

Look at the top 16 teams, and state your case as to why PV A&M should be in? I can't believe I'm even arguing over this with you, but I guess I can't let my hater-gene stay suppressed for too long...xlolx

It's not your fault that you couldn't play SHSU, but it is your fault that the rest of your schedule isn't very strong. Is it right to penalize a pretty good team that played the schedule it was presented? Yes it most certainly is. Schedule up, win games, and make the playoffs. Easy as that. According to your rationale we should all schedule non-schollies (well, except those from the PFL of course) win them all and claim "Well, we beat all our opponents! What more can you ask of us????"

Cal Poly's scheduled up, Coastal Carolina's made the playoffs from a not so great conference.

Panther88
November 4th, 2008, 09:04 AM
You're saying, let Prairie View A&M in the playoffs

I stopped reading.... right there th0m!!!! You're alright in my book! I don't give a damn what anyone sez or thinks about ya'. You're numero uno in my book!!! xthumbsupx

Now, lets see if we can TALK-UP PV into the playoffs. xnodx xlolx

Dammit guys, I've been on this wagon a very, very, very long time. And during that duration, in case you all hadn't noticed xrolleyesx , we haven't done well IC or OOC, ever. (recent history of > 35 yrs)

th0m
November 4th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Hahah you're alright in my book too Panther88. I am glad that PV A&M is winning games in the SWAC, and I can understand your enthusiasm for your team especially after what it has been through. I do sincerely hope SWAC teams become part of the playoffs, and be competitive in them (much like I hope the MEAC to become competitive again).

Panther88
November 4th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Hahah you're alright in my book too Panther88. I am glad that PV A&M is winning games in the SWAC, and I can understand your enthusiasm for your team especially after what it has been through. I do sincerely hope SWAC teams become part of the playoffs, and be competitive in them (much like I hope the MEAC to become competitive again).

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Rrraaaa, we have a couple of open dates next fall ('09). :D Nothing like a far away home-and-home to determine where one is (competitive-wise). :D

th0m
November 4th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Alas, I think JMU's OOC is already locked up with (I think) Maryland, VMI and Liberty.