PDA

View Full Version : Albany at Georgia Southern-- Opener 2009

Dane96
October 30th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Albany opens at Georgia Southern this upcoming season. Just found out because Albany is doing an on-line auction...and a trip down is one of the bid items.

Nice to finally play the team we were supposed to open our D1 years off with!

slycat
October 30th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Nice scheduling. Albany has shown they can play tough, this could be a great game.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 30th, 2008, 07:26 PM
So you've quit the CAA and joined the SoCon

You going App St/FU/Woof weeks 2,3,and 4?

beauvighn
October 30th, 2008, 07:43 PM

You going App St/FU/Woof weeks 2,3,and 4?

We'll take Albany and give you UTC and Western

bobbythekidd
October 30th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Well this is one game. I don't recall seeing a 2009 slate yet.

Any Danes plan on making the trip?

GATA
October 30th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Very nice.

I think this will be a great OOC game. Can't wait to see some of the Albany fans make the trip down.

BearsCountry
October 30th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Albany has no fear when it comes to playing OOC thats for sure.

Seawolf97
October 30th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Nice bit of scheduling

DSUrocks07
October 30th, 2008, 09:05 PM

You going App St/FU/Woofweeks 2,3,and 4?

xeekx

Heres a question...

If Albany starts 4-0 next year..will they be #1?

aceinthehole
October 30th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Great game for Albany. Can't wait to see the complete schedule.

Good luck, but remember you won't be the first NEC team to win down there ;)

CCSU wil be making the rounds through the CAA with William & Mary, Hofstra, and maybe a third ...

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 30th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Not to hijack the topic, but I don't want to start another thread. Do any other GSU fans here know when we are supposed to play NDSU in Fargo?

LehighFan11
October 30th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Congrats to Albany for the aggressive scheduling.

Dane96
October 30th, 2008, 09:51 PM

This one...I might make.

But, I actually think we could take a step back offensively next year (if that is possible). The D should be very good and very deep...but the O...the line is losing ALOT....and I MEAN A LOT.

Eaglegus2
October 30th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Not to hijack the topic, but I don't want to start another thread. Do any other GSU fans here know when we are supposed to play NDSU in Fargo?

in 2010

appfan2008
October 31st, 2008, 07:50 AM
a great chance for the danes to prove themselves to the fcs world...

Dane96
October 31st, 2008, 07:52 AM
The other games there are rumors about are fantastic; staying with our CAA friends...and, of course, bringing a top PL team into the fold again.

2010 has Yale...and I think we get Hofstra and UNH again. I know we have Colgate...not sure if it is 2010 or 2011. At least I think we have a re-match with the Raiders.

blueballs
October 31st, 2008, 08:17 AM
Should be an interesting opening game...

GSU will be LOADED offensively in 2009 but loses some very good players (Beard, Suggs, Covington, Taylor) off a very inconsistent and frankly poor defense.

I would expect five things if I were an Albany fan making the trip:

a) it will be HOT
b) there will be gnats
c) GSU will have the best and highest concentration of babes you've ever seen at a football game
d) a lot of points will be scored
e) there will be a lot of alcohol consumed at the red flag tailgate.

elon77
October 31st, 2008, 08:37 AM
Should be an interesting opening game...

GSU will be LOADED offensively in 2009 but loses some very good players (Beard, Suggs, Covington, Taylor) off a very inconsistent and frankly poor defense.

I would expect five things if I were an Albany fan making the trip:

a) it will be HOT
b) there will be gnats
c) GSU will have the best and highest concentration of babes you've ever seen at a football game
d) a lot of points will be scored
e) there will be a lot of alcohol consumed at the red flag tailgate.

f) and worn out school buses that they borrow from the local school system.xlolx

Eaglesrus
October 31st, 2008, 08:40 AM
f) and worn out school buses that they borrow from the local school system.xlolx

No, we bought those from the local school system for $1.00 each.xnodx

CRAZY_DANE
October 31st, 2008, 10:37 AM

I live in Atlanta. I have friends in Marietta and Kennesaw. Our former B-School Dean retired to Peachtree City.

I'll be there and I hope to bring others.

danefan
October 31st, 2008, 10:41 AM
I think this may be my long road trip next year. My trip to Delaware got squashed this year becaue of family committments, but I'd love to get to see one of the storied stadium in FCS football. I've been to Montana and UD before. Checking GSU off the list would be nice.

Plus I get emails all of the time with $75 one-way flights from NYC to Atlanta. Could be a nice and cheap trip also.

Looking forward to it. Maybe they'll do a fan charter flight like they did for Montana two years ago. Hopefully a bunch of Albany folks will travel.

blueballs
October 31st, 2008, 11:27 AM
I think this may be my long road trip next year. My trip to Delaware got squashed this year becaue of family committments, but I'd love to get to see one of the storied stadium in FCS football. I've been to Montana and UD before. Checking GSU off the list would be nice.

Plus I get emails all of the time with $75 one-way flights from NYC to Atlanta. Could be a nice and cheap trip also.

Looking forward to it. Maybe they'll do a fan charter flight like they did for Montana two years ago. Hopefully a bunch of Albany folks will travel.

Check out JetBlue into Jacksonville, FL. You'll probably get about the same price and you'll be 100 miles closer to Statesboro.

DSUrocks07
October 31st, 2008, 11:38 AM
xeekx

Heres a question...

If Albany starts 4-0 next year..will they be #1?

I'm surprised none of the Danes fans picked up on this...xpeacex

PaladinFan
October 31st, 2008, 11:55 AM
It seems that GSU has scheduled a lot of OOC games the past couple years against teams traveling down from the far north. Northeastern, SDSU, NDSU, Central Connecticut State, Albany....others?

danefan
October 31st, 2008, 11:57 AM
I'm surprised none of the Danes fans picked up on this...xpeacex

If Albany starts off the rumored schedule next year at 4-0 they should be a top 15 team.

But that's very unlikely. GSU will be loaded next year. That game is a longshot.

JDC325
October 31st, 2008, 11:58 AM

We use them by choice. It is called tradition. When you have a some then you can make funnies. xcoffeex

eaglewithabus
October 31st, 2008, 12:10 PM

It sure would be good to see you guys bring down a decent crowd. A lot of our fan base that is out of touch with most of the fcs world, raises hell about the OOC opponents that we schedule. Most of the students have never heard of Albany or CCU and thats not a knock, its just the way it is. If we could have one of our OOC opponents show up with some fan support it might acctually convince some people that we are playing teams that have some interest. The good thing is that this is the first game of the year and that generally draws a decent crowd, Hopefully we will draw over 20k for the game, but I gotta say If this were not the first home game the crowd might be a little below average. Ill be there either way. Looking forward to seeing you guys, come find the Georgia Southern bus and take a swig of moonshine.

citdog
October 31st, 2008, 12:12 PM
GEORGIA WHITE TRASH IDIOTS VS YANKEE SCUM

GOTTA GO WITH THE EAGLETS IN THIS ONE.......I HATE THEM.....BUT I HATE YANKEE SEWER SCUM WORSE!xrulesx

gsugt1
October 31st, 2008, 12:51 PM

GOTTA GO WITH THE EAGLETS IN THIS ONE.......I HATE THEM.....BUT I HATE YANKEE SEWER SCUM WORSE!xrulesx

At least you are consistent. xlolx

Dane96
October 31st, 2008, 07:06 PM
If Albany starts off the rumored schedule next year at 4-0 they should be a top 15 team.

But that's very unlikely. GSU will be loaded next year. That game is a longshot.

Agreed! With the schedule we are hearing...it would be utter BS if we didnt sniff the TOP 10 if we went 4-0.

I predict, based on what we have heard, 2-2.

Dane96
October 31st, 2008, 07:07 PM

Yeah, but UALBANY is a REALLY JEWISH SCHOOL! We give off all the holidays!

Sure you dont want to root for the BORSCHT?

cmaxwellgsu
October 31st, 2008, 07:19 PM

Well that just warms my heart.xlolx You coming to the Boro in 2009?

GrizzlyBill
October 31st, 2008, 09:23 PM
Albany has no fear when it comes to playing OOC thats for sure.

Add the Griz at home to that list. I seem to recall Albany giving the Griz a real game. I think it was just 3 or 4 years ago. Could be wrong. Time flies.

That is something I dislike about Griz scheduling. They schedule too much on money. I would like to hear an official policy from the AD that we make a real effort every year to schedule at least one team from east of the Mississippi that has finished in the Top Ten in recent years.

IMO, the Griz represent Montana pretty well on the FCS national gridiron, not withstanding a few 1 & outs in the Playoffs; but we really ought to be playing more CAA and SoCon and the Gateway teams (or whatever that conference is called now) in regular season match-ups. Just look at what our Cal Poly game is likely to mean to the Selection Committee. Anyway, you Rustbelt teams, and teams that play in conferences with you, tend to be tough to beat. I would like to see us play you guys more. Look how that kind of scheduling has strengthened the the Dakota teams' reputations. It means investing some travel money, but it's the kind of thing that keeps selling tickets.

Good on ya, Danes!

danefan
November 1st, 2008, 11:56 AM
Also confirmed week 2 is home against UMass.

Auction is up for a pre-game team meal and sideline passes for that game too.

So we know for now:

Sept. 5 @ Georgia Southern
Sept.12 vs. UMass

danefan
November 1st, 2008, 12:03 PM
Add the Griz at home to that list. I seem to recall Albany giving the Griz a real game. I think it was just 3 or 4 years ago. Could be wrong. Time flies.

That is something I dislike about Griz scheduling. They schedule too much on money. I would like to hear an official policy from the AD that we make a real effort every year to schedule at least one team from east of the Mississippi that has finished in the Top Ten in recent years.

IMO, the Griz represent Montana pretty well on the FCS national gridiron, not withstanding a few 1 & outs in the Playoffs; but we really ought to be playing more CAA and SoCon and the Gateway teams (or whatever that conference is called now) in regular season match-ups. Just look at what our Cal Poly game is likely to mean to the Selection Committee. Anyway, you Rustbelt teams, and teams that play in conferences with you, tend to be tough to beat. I would like to see us play you guys more. Look how that kind of scheduling has strengthened the the Dakota teams' reputations. It means investing some travel money, but it's the kind of thing that keeps selling tickets.

Good on ya, Danes!

Danes played at Montana in 2002 and 2007. 2002 game was a blowout, but the 2007 game was closer.

I hope to see another trip out to Big Sky country soon! What a trip that is.