PDA

View Full Version : Nova JMU Game Clock

wideright82
October 30th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Ok, so over on the VUsports.com message boards there are clearly some Nova fans who are in dispute over the clock starting (or not starting) properly on that last, nausiating play. One forum member emailed the CAA, and here was the response.

"Thanks for your email. After talking the situation over with our
director of officials and watching the questioned play on tape, we have
the following as an explanation.

The play in which the illegal procedure/false start was called was also
an incomplete pass by JMU to stop the clock. The rule states that the
clock should start at the officials discretion. The director of
officials felt the game officials got it right in that case by enforcing
the penalty then blowing the ball ready for play after an incomplete
pass. By our accounts the clock started on the snap of the ball due to
the officials discretion following the penalty.

I am sorry I couldn't give you a more specific answer, but that is what
our director of officials indicated was the correct fashion in handling
the situation.

Thanks for your interest in CAA Football."

Figured I would post it here, you know, for the hell of it.

tribe_pride
October 30th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Ok, so over on the VUsports.com message boards there are clearly some Nova fans who are in dispute over the clock starting (or not starting) properly on that last, nausiating play. One forum member emailed the CAA, and here was the response.

"Thanks for your email. After talking the situation over with our
director of officials and watching the questioned play on tape, we have
the following as an explanation.

The play in which the illegal procedure/false start was called was also
an incomplete pass by JMU to stop the clock. The rule states that the
clock should start at the officials discretion. The director of
officials felt the game officials got it right in that case by enforcing
the penalty then blowing the ball ready for play after an incomplete
pass. By our accounts the clock started on the snap of the ball due to
the officials discretion following the penalty.

I am sorry I couldn't give you a more specific answer, but that is what
our director of officials indicated was the correct fashion in handling
the situation.

Thanks for your interest in CAA Football."

Figured I would post it here, you know, for the hell of it.

Thanks. Assuming this was really an illegal formation, seems like the refs got this right by the rules. That said, I don't like the rules and the CAA's explanation confused me more than before. Impressed they responded though.

The rule allows a losing team to take advantage of a penalty. I like the runoff rule if there is a penalty in the last minute by the losing team and the clock would otherwise be running.

mcveyrl
October 30th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks. Assuming this was really an illegal formation, seems like the refs got this right by the rules. That said, I don't like the rules and the CAA's explanation confused me more than before. Impressed they responded though.

The rule allows a losing team to take advantage of a penalty. I like the runoff rule if there is a penalty in the last minute by the losing team and the clock would otherwise be running.

It had to be an illegal formation. If you watch the tape, you see that the left tackle is not covered up (the WR is playing off the line). So, the play counts (illegal formation is not a dead ball foul) and the pass is incomplete.

BUT, if you watch it further, you'll see that the ref still has his hand in the air (hasn't signaled ready to play) and everybody's lined up, so JMU got out there as if the clock would start to run on the "ready to play" signal.

The only time I think there should be a run-off is a false start. That's a dead ball foul that could be abused to essentially gain extra timeouts.

wideright82
October 30th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah the only thing that really confused the hell out of me was the CAA's answer that the false start/illegal formation the play occurred on resulted in an incomplete pass (spike). xeyebrowx

mcveyrl
October 30th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Yeah the only thing that really confused the hell out of me was the CAA's answer that the false start/illegal formation the play occurred on resulted in an incomplete pass (spike). xeyebrowx

I think they meant that the penalty wasn't a dead ball foul. So, the play continues after the snap and the result of the play was an incomplete pass.

wideright82
October 30th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I think they meant that the penalty wasn't a dead ball foul. So, the play continues after the snap and the result of the play was an incomplete pass.

Yeah i assume it wasn't a dead ball foul as well, didnt appear to be anyways, but and illegal procedure/false start as they called it IS a dead ball foul. I just think they could have given an answer that didn't contradict their call.