PDA

View Full Version : Smalls Done for the Season (Career?)

Kymermosst
October 29th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Since this hasn't come up anywhere here yet:

http://www.dailyhampshiregazette.com/umsports/blog/index.cfm/2008/10/28/Smalls-done

Last week against Bryant Sean Smalls returned a punt for a TD. At the end of the return he decided to slow down and showboat a little. The Bryant defender caught him and brought him down, though he still crossed the goal line. Smalls cracked his hip. The TD was called back due to a penalty on UMass.

What a way to end your college career...

introvertedGSUfan
October 29th, 2008, 12:17 PM
You're killing me Smalls!

UNI Pike
October 29th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Since this hasn't come up anywhere here yet:

http://www.dailyhampshiregazette.com/umsports/blog/index.cfm/2008/10/28/Smalls-done

Last week against Bryant Sean Smalls returned a punt for a TD. At the end of the return he decided to slow down and showboat a little. The Bryant defender caught him and brought him down, though he still crossed the goal line. Smalls cracked his hip. The TD was called back due to a penalty on UMass.

What a way to end your college career...

Karma xoopsx

joecooll6
October 29th, 2008, 12:31 PM

It had to be said.

smcwildcat
October 29th, 2008, 01:18 PM
no offense at all when i say this but umass is always known for showboating

WrenFGun
October 29th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Sorry to hear about this for UMass. If I remember correctly, he was preseason AA. Hopefully they have the depth to replace him.

EmeryZach
October 29th, 2008, 02:45 PM
The only thing I was hoping was to come out of that game with no injuries. Just another bad break in a mediocre season.

dennisdent
October 29th, 2008, 02:50 PM
no offense at all when i say this but umass is always known for showboating

Drives me (and other UM fans I know) f-ing crazy--Randy Moss doing it is one thing--Horne and others, looks stupid. Messes with our puritanical roots.xrotatehx xrotatehx

EmeryZach
October 29th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Well, looks like Smalls won't be playing in the CFL anymore.

dennisdent
October 29th, 2008, 02:57 PM
High steppin into AFL2...

Jackman
October 29th, 2008, 04:05 PM
They've told him it's only 4 to 6 weeks to recover. Theoretically he could be back for the playoffs, if we can make it to the playoffs. Where's the career-ending talk coming from?

dennisdent
October 29th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Right from the coaches mouth:

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2008/10/senior_captain_sean_smalls_is.html?category=UMass% 20Football

Jackman
October 29th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Calling it "career-ending" is misleading. He'll play football again if he wants to, just not at the college level, and only because he's out of eligibility at the end of November (barring a playoff run). If he had muscle cramps in the final minutes of the final game of the season, that would be a "career-ending" injury too by that standard.

Besides, if "college football player" is a career, they should be getting better wages.

griz&beer
October 29th, 2008, 07:09 PM

You just have to laugh at that.:D

Kymermosst
October 30th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Calling it "career-ending" is misleading. He'll play football again if he wants to, just not at the college level, and only because he's out of eligibility at the end of November (barring a playoff run). If he had muscle cramps in the final minutes of the final game of the season, that would be a "career-ending" injury too by that standard.

Besides, if "college football player" is a career, they should be getting better wages.

I guess I didn't think as much about the possibility of CFL or AFL, but Smalls was so hyped at the beginning of this year, and never really got the chance to show much. With the way the season went for Smalls, I wouldn't be totally shocked if he wasn't playing anywhere next year.