PDA

View Full Version : SHSU Athletic Fee in Works, FBS Possible?

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Looks as if SHSU may be going the route of Texas State - San Marcos and Lamar by moving the athletic fee out from under the auspices of Student Services.

The link does not work for me, but if someone is able to get access to it, I'll let you know (or someone else will) on here, because then we can all access it.

I'm assuming that we could possibly get this situation rectified by the end of the 2009 session of the Texas Legislature.

Since I'm not 100% clear on what they are doing (due to the lack of ability to read the article), I can not really state what is needed to do, though I have an idea...

This may spur some people to think SHSU is preparing for FBS...

http://www.houstonianonline.com/news/2008/10/28/CampusNews/Proposed.Athletic.Fee.To.Increase.Transparency.In. Bearkat.Sports-3510219.shtml

Cat79
October 28th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Why would you raise your student fee to stay at the current level? TT you know this is keeping up with Texas State or trying to.:D

Why kid yourself. You are giving Texas State undue punishment while your administration (Sam Houston) attempts the same strategy.

Why not admit that you are attempting to move up? xnonox

BobcatTXST04
October 28th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Wasn't Utsa looking to move up also? (assuming they get a football program) So what happens to the SLC if they loose four schools?

MaximumBobcat
October 28th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Wasn't Utsa looking to move up also? (assuming they get a football program) So what happens to the SLC if they loose four schools?

Lamar, SHSU, UTSA, and TxSt move up to fbs....try to maybe get a few stragglers....maybe UNT...or other I-AA move ups...new conference is the new Southwest Conference....all the schools that can't afford it or choose not to stay in the Southland.

not really.

i'm just thinking out loud.

I would much rather just have txst and utsa move into C-USA.

nobody talk crap...i'm just dreamin for now...

:D :D :D

DSUrocks07
October 28th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Looks as if SHSU may be going the route of Texas State - San Marcos and Lamar by moving the athletic fee out from under the auspices of Student Services.

The link does not work for me, but if someone is able to get access to it, I'll let you know (or someone else will) on here, because then we can all access it.

I'm assuming that we could possibly get this situation rectified by the end of the 2009 session of the Texas Legislature.

Since I'm not 100% clear on what they are doing (due to the lack of ability to read the article), I can not really state what is needed to do, though I have an idea...

This may spur some people to think SHSU is preparing for FBS...

http://www.houstonianonline.com/news/2008/10/28/CampusNews/Proposed.Athletic.Fee.To.Increase.Transparency.In. Bearkat.Sports-3510219.shtml

No offense TT.
But their website SUCKS xnonono2x

http://www.houstonianonline.com

That's as far as I got, none of the links work on the page, and no search feature mean I can't find the article you're referring to even if I tried. Have you been drinking again? xeyebrowx xwhistlex xlolx xlolx

EDIT: I SEE IT BUT I CANNOT READ IT!!! (http://www.houstonianonline.com/news/2008/10/28/) xmadx xmadx

BobcatTXST04
October 28th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Lamar, SHSU, UTSA, and TxSt move up to fbs....try to maybe get a few stragglers....maybe UNT...or other I-AA move ups...new conference is the new Southwest Conference....all the schools that can't afford it or choose not to stay in the Southland.

not really.

Hey, I'd love to see a new SWC. If we can get some of the C-USA East schools go to the Big East since they are hurting for football schools. So if Memphis, Marshall, ECU, and UCF join the big east to give them 12 teams, that will free up four spots for the SLC teams. So we have Sammy St., TXST, UTSA,and Lamar to go to fill the spots.

Mr. Tiger
October 28th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Hey, I'd love to see a new SWC. If we can get some of the C-USA East schools go to the Big East since they are hurting for football schools. So if Memphis, Marshall, ECU, and UCF join the big east to give them 12 teams, that will free up four spots for the SLC teams. So we have Sammy St., TXST, UTSA,and Lamar to go to fill the spots.

This will never happen. The Big East has 16 schools in basketball so they can't take on any new members. I really don't see any new FBS conferences for a while. Maybe Texas State will join the Sun Belt in a few years. But then again, why?

MSUBear42
October 29th, 2008, 12:10 AM

not really.

New SW conference? MSU is in. Oh wait, we're a basketball school.

dbackjon
October 29th, 2008, 12:14 AM
This will never happen. The Big East has 16 schools in basketball so they can't take on any new members. I really don't see any new FBS conferences for a while. Maybe Texas State will join the Sun Belt in a few years. But then again, why?

Taht is assuming the Big East splits into FBS schools and non-FBS schools - 8 each now (Notre Dame stays with non-FBS schools).

appfan2008
October 29th, 2008, 07:42 AM

lose

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Why would you raise your student fee to stay at the current level? TT you know this is keeping up with Texas State or trying to.:D

Why kid yourself. You are giving Texas State undue punishment while your administration (Sam Houston) attempts the same strategy.

Why not admit that you are attempting to move up? xnonox

Of course, your own school emulates ours when we do something right. Our school does not sit idle when the other two major schools in the system (Lamar, TXST) do something that could possibly put their school ahead ours in our two big thoughts -- academics and alumni.

When folks at TXST had some on the BoR interested in changing all names to TXST-_____ and thinking flagship, SHSU got protection of their name from the Legislature and produced a flagship study that showed that SHSU has just as much, if not more argument for flagship status of the system (a notion that then-TXST student body president Kyle V. Morris agreed with -- go figure!).

I have yet to read the article, but indications are that this is more of a move of athletics from under the Student Service fee umbrella. A few years ago, the athletic department was removed around the time our VP of SS was dumped for attempting to cover up some illegal things. We moved to under the President and then went off to reel three Commish Cups off...not bad, eh?

SHSU's

813Jag
October 29th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Only way that happens is if that proposed Big East split goes through. 8 FB teams right now and 16 B-Ball teams.

TexasTerror
October 30th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I have just found out that the fee is not in discussion mode...it has already passed by a 2:1 margin amongst our students. You want to talk about a clear majority putting their vote behind athletics? Figure the specifics of the fee increase and what it means to SHSU athletics will be made available soon.

SHSU is stepping up to the plate and 'Closing the Gap' with those institutions in the state of Texas -- SFA and TXST -- that outspend us by a several million dollar margin...

DFW HOYA
October 30th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Only way that happens is if that proposed Big East split goes through. 8 FB teams right now and 16 B-Ball teams.

No interest. Everyone is re-committed for at least five more years.