PDA

View Full Version : All Football Needs to Get Rid Of This.....

Cap'n Cat
October 28th, 2008, 01:13 PM
The stiff-arm. xrolleyesx

It exists only to allow the offensive player to get away with a facemask penalty. They're holding on to the facemask! And, sheeit, they worry about injury from a horsecollar tackle, ever see a stiff-arm victim go down?

xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

Skjellyfetti
October 28th, 2008, 02:17 PM
No way....

I guess we should remove tackling as well? Ever see a tackle victim go down? And blocking... those guys are just too rough! Let's play two hand touch football and try to to be gentle to opposing players! ;)

Retro
October 28th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I don't have a problem with the stiff-arm, but i have a problem with it being allowed directly onto the defenders facemask and many times the offensive player grabbing it.. If a defender just grazes the facemask of a ball carrier, then he will get flagged.. Double standard IMO.xnonox

Rob Iola
October 28th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I've never understood why the ball carrier's allowed to facemask - a stiff arm is 1 thing, but grabbing the facemask is grabbing the facemask and should be a penalty.

Grizzaholic
October 28th, 2008, 02:22 PM
No way....

I guess we should remove tackling as well? Ever see a tackle victim go down? And blocking... those guys are just too rough! Let's play two hand touch football and try to to be gentle to opposing players! ;)

Is flag football still ok?

madisonfan87
October 28th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I always hated that offensive players could do that. It would drive me insane back in my playing days...in high school.

Grizzaholic
October 28th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I've never understood why the ball carrier's allowed to facemask - a stiff arm is 1 thing, but grabbing the facemask is grabbing the facemask and should be a penalty.

But one still should be able to put their hand on the helmet anywhere but the facemask.

Skjellyfetti
October 28th, 2008, 02:25 PM
If a defender just grazes the facemask of a ball carrier, then he will get flagged.. Double standard IMO.xnonox

Grazing the facemask by the defense isn't a penalty anymore.

URMite
October 28th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Grazing the facemask by the defense isn't a penalty anymore.

For some refs it is, just it is now 15 yds. xoopsx

appfan2008
October 28th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I like the stiff arm...

Appaholic
October 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM
No way....

That's how they do it at Northern Iowa...

Big Dawg
October 28th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Remove the stiff arm??? NAW

EmeryZach
October 28th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Captain Meow Mix trying to start something again.

Hoseinexile07
October 28th, 2008, 03:25 PM
When I played football in high school none of us had helmets or face masks to grab on to. A stiff-arm by a player with the ball would probably have resulted in a yellow card. :D

Tribe4SF
October 28th, 2008, 08:25 PM
The stiff-arm. xrolleyesx

It exists only to allow the offensive player to get away with a facemask penalty. They're holding on to the facemask! And, sheeit, they worry about injury from a horsecollar tackle, ever see a stiff-arm victim go down?

xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

Figures, coming from a wuss defensive end.xbawlingx

PaladinFan
October 28th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Mike Ditka actually suggested players begin to play without facemasks. Most laugh at him but I am in complete agreement. People would stop leading with their heads, twisting face masks or any of the other plays that require twisting the head around.

When I played ball I was always a firm believer that I was much more likely to be injured by a facemask than anything else. I'd take a sprained ankle any day over getting my finger wedged between two masks. Good grief that hurt.

BEAR
October 28th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I think they should go back to the leather helmets..that would destroy all the facemasking penalties, helmet to helmet collisions, and the spines of most players in the game! xthumbsupx

Cap'n Cat
October 29th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Figures, coming from a wuss defensive end.xbawlingx

OT.

xcoffeex

SideLine Shooter
October 29th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Captain Meow Mix trying to start something again.

That's what Cap'n does.xnodx

ASUMountaineer
October 29th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I think it should be a penalty if the offensive player grabs the facemask of a defender. What's good for the goose is good for the gander and if a defensive player can't grab a facemask an offensive player shouldn't be able to.

mlbowl
October 29th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Wouldn't they have to come up with a new Heisman trophy?...I don't mind the stiff arm...but a face mask should be a face maskxnodx

Seven Would Be Nice
October 29th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I like the stiff arm...

That's what she said.

http://www.businesspundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/the-office-michael-scott.jpg

hawkeye
October 29th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Dont rough the QB, no helmet to helmet contact, no horse collar, do not spear the player, no celebration, sideline warning-back in the coaches box, no chop blocking. And you want a penalty on a stiff arm? This is football. Its football for gosh sakes!! Start watching table tennis.

ASUMountaineer
October 29th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Dont rough the QB, no helmet to helmet contact, no horse collar, do not spear the player, no celebration, sideline warning-back in the coaches box, no chop blocking. And you want a penalty on a stiff arm? This is football. Its football for gosh sakes!! Start watching table tennis.

I agree, but you need to get rid of the facemask penalty on the defense if an offensive player can do it.

Edge316007
October 29th, 2008, 11:37 AM
The difference is the defenders are trying to bring down the offensive player with the facemask, thus creating a huge risk for injury. The offensive stiff arm is designed to push the defender back and create separation, not to bring him down to the ground. Obviously the risk for injury is still there, but it's not as great.

appfan2008
October 29th, 2008, 11:43 AM
That's what she said.

http://www.businesspundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/the-office-michael-scott.jpg

xlolx xlolx xlolx

pete4256
October 29th, 2008, 01:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp_ABmN-sMU

The master.

Using the stiff arm--and having defenders afraid to tackle you up high in the open field as a result--is just one part of the arsenal that helped this back run for 9,000+ yards in his career.

For scared DBs (Citadel #27 at 0:23), see the first 1:00. To see why they were afraid, keep watching (especially, the run at 1:22).

Those plays look clean to me. Don't see why that should be illegal.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 29th, 2008, 02:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp_ABmN-sMU

The master.

Using the stiff arm--and having defenders afraid to tackle you up high in the open field as a result--is just one part of the arsenal that helped this back run for 9,000+ yards in his career.

For scared DBs (Citadel #27 at 0:23), see the first 1:00. To see why they were afraid, keep watching (especially, the run at 1:22).

Those plays look clean to me. Don't see why that should be illegal.

It's one thing to push them away, which AP was doing, it's another to grab their mask and tackle them down by it. Now grabbing behind their helmet and throwing them to the ground like AP did.. that's a different story. :D

eaglewraith
October 29th, 2008, 08:04 PM
See Sideline Shooter's avatar on the previous page. Armanti has his fingers in and under Chris Rogers' helmet and is pushing it up....clearly should have been a penalty.

Dane96
October 29th, 2008, 08:10 PM

A player is NOT allowed to facemask...including offensive players. I watched Albany...and the NY GIANTS both get called for it this year.

The Horsecollar is for multiple reasons, including leg injuries and neck.

WoffDoc04
October 29th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Mark Sclereth said the same thing on NFL Live last week, and what do you know, Frank Gore was called for an offensive facemask on Sunday. We'll see if that trickles down like the whole Horsecollar thing did after Roy Williams broke T.O.'s leg.

Cap'n Cat
October 29th, 2008, 10:01 PM
It's cheating.

SideLine Shooter
October 29th, 2008, 10:08 PM
See Sideline Shooter's avatar on the previous page. Armanti has his fingers in and under Chris Rogers' helmet and is pushing it up....clearly should have been a penalty.

Looks to me like they should have got the gsu player on a horse collar call!

Cap'n Cat
October 29th, 2008, 10:09 PM

Perfect example of what I'm talkin' about!!!!

xmadx xmadx xmadx

eaglewraith
October 29th, 2008, 10:32 PM

Does it look like he's jerking Armanti down? Then it's not a horse collar. If he goes down with Armanti also it's not a horse collar.

Looking closer it looks like the hand is going up to the shoulder and not closing on the neck area. That's a shady horse collar.

It's indisputable that Armanti's hand is inside that facemask.

Hansel
October 30th, 2008, 07:22 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0a7egoH3NAg7W/610x.jpg

I agree this should be a penalty