PDA

View Full Version : Talk of adding football at VCU.

Tribe4SF
October 28th, 2008, 06:28 AM
From today's Richmond Times Dispatch.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-10-28-0078.html

MplsBison
October 28th, 2008, 07:15 AM
If VCU adds football, does George Mason follow?

andy7171
October 28th, 2008, 07:18 AM
If VCU adds football, does George Mason follow?

I believe Mason already has a club level football team and have been rumored to want to move up in the past. Can Virginia really support all these football schools?

Appstate29
October 28th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I believe Mason already has a club level football team and have been rumored to want to move up in the past. Can Virginia really support all these football schools?

My guess is brass at UVA and Va Tech privately work against this move by potential competitors, UNC-Ch and UNC-Raleigh worked very hard for UNC-C to not get a team.

Tribe4SF
October 28th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Sure! It just means Towson won't get anymore VA recruits.:D

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 07:29 AM

Yes. Also not we get a lot of folks from Maryland as well.

Tribe4SF
October 28th, 2008, 07:30 AM
My guess is brass at UVA and Va Tech privately work against this move by potential competitors, UNC-Ch and UNC-Raleigh worked very hard for UNC-C to not get a team.

Sorry, but that's just silly.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 07:30 AM

VT and (especially) UVA won't have much if any say on whether VCU gets a football team or not. VCU is their own driving force. Actually you could make the claim that JMU, ODU, and VCU have just about as much clout and pull as UVA or VT.

Cobblestone
October 28th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I hope they're successful. I didn't see any talk about what conference they'd play in, I'd have to think the CAA. This is looking more and more like the CAA will soon be a Virginia conference (to include Towson) with the northern schools breaking off. I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen and the old Yankee Conference returning with a few new faces from the north.

Foreman Field? WOW! I'm glad to hear it is still there. I can remember going to see the Norfolk Neptunes play there in the late 60's or early 70's when I was a kid living in Norfolk, VA.

If anyone remembers that team and league then you're a dinosaur. :p

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I heard Richmond might have a vacant stadium somebody could use....

spdram
October 28th, 2008, 08:08 AM
The rumor on the street around Richmond is that the money is there to start the team. It is just a matter of getting the details worked out (location, ongoing costs, student support) and avoiding a revolt from those opposed.

89Hen
October 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Talk about perfect storm... ODU's success in getting their program up and running plus a new prez coming next academic year... Even a year ago I would have said no way for VCU, but now... xeyebrowx

ur2k
October 28th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I heard Richmond might have a vacant stadium somebody could use....

But remember, it's a dump. That's why we're leaving. They would need to put some money into it to get it up to modern-day standards.

StonewallSpider
October 28th, 2008, 08:25 AM
They could always use The Diamond

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 08:28 AM
But remember, it's a dump. That's why we're leaving. They would need to put some money into it to get it up to modern-day standards.

Still a good temp fix until they can build a full stadium. Kinda the same path ODU took. Use existing stadium, clean it up a bit, and your ready to go.

blur2005
October 28th, 2008, 08:31 AM
That place makes UofR's stadium look great. Nothing like falling concrete to brighten your day.

This is getting crazy. First ODU, then Mason talking of adding a team, now VCU. I didn't realize VCU has 32,000 students, a number that makes such a move much more plausible in my mind if you're talking about raising student fees in order to get the necessary money to start a program.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 08:35 AM
That place makes UofR's stadium look great. Nothing like falling concrete to brighten your day.

This is getting crazy. First ODU, then Mason talking of adding a team, now VCU.

More Virginia rivalries to look forward 2 xbowx

ur2k
October 28th, 2008, 08:39 AM

That's not going to happen either. Read the rest of today's times dispatch to see that the plan (announced yesterday) is to tear down the Diamond for a mixed-use development on that site.

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Still a good temp fix until they can build a full stadium. Kinda the same path ODU took. Use existing stadium, clean it up a bit, and your ready to go.

Where are they going to build a stadium, though? There's no room to expand their current soccer field.

I don't think there's anywhere near VCU's campus to build a stadium. I think they will suffer from the same attendance woes as UR if they are away from campus.

Maybe they could expand the Siegel Center??? :D :p

ElonPride
October 28th, 2008, 08:45 AM

Not going to happen. It's written somewhere in their charter that the school can't have a FB team (I believe it was some deal with the city anumber of years ago). With all the recent scandals surrounding the school, I'm surprised they're even talking about it.

Appstate29
October 28th, 2008, 08:45 AM

I don't think its silly, ask any UNC-C grad what they think about UNC-CH's thoughts on their getting football. Maybe I'm looking at it from too much of a business perspective, but if VCU (and GMU) add football as a varsity support, that is only bad news for VPI and UVA. More competition for fans and recruits. VA already has more than enough FCS programs they can schedule. I don't know VA as well as NC, but I doubt VCU JMU and ODU have anywhere near the clout UVA and VPI have, and if they are as worried about those teams adding as I would be, they will use it.

andy7171
October 28th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Where is VCU in Virginia? I thought it was in the middle of downtown Richmond. You would think they'd have to take over the city stadium. Wouldn't upgrading be cheaper then starting anew?

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Not going to happen. It's written somewhere in their charter that the school can't have a FB team (I believe it was some deal with the city anumber of years ago). With all the recent scandals surrounding the school, I'm surprised they're even talking about it.

They'll figure out a way around it somehow. Give it a few years with ODU and possibly Mason joining in Football VCU fans will feel left out. That won't last for long.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I don't think its silly, ask any UNC-C grad what they think about UNC-CH's thoughts on their getting football. Maybe I'm looking at it from too much of a business perspective, but if VCU (and GMU) add football as a varsity support, that is only bad news for VPI and UVA. More competition for fans and recruits. VA already has more than enough FCS programs they can schedule. I don't know VA as well as NC, but I doubt VCU JMU and ODU have anywhere near the clout UVA and VPI have, and if they are as worried about those teams adding as I would be, they will use it.

You don't know much about Virginia football then. Thats the great thing about being a Commonwealth. UVA and VT have close to zilch say on what VCU will do. Trust me. VCU's immediate threat is its own alumni base possibly being split on whether to add football or not.

Appstate29
October 28th, 2008, 08:50 AM

I don't believe its written in their charter, THAT is silly. What were they thinking, "hmm oh yeah, we are going to have exams and a nice quad, and ohhh yeah, you know what really ticks me off, FOOTBALL, this school can't have it, ever, write that down. No, bigger. In all eternity, no football."

I bet you think UNC-C can't have football either because Bonnie Cone's son was paralyzed in a football-related activity?

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Where are they going to build a stadium, though? There's no room to expand their current soccer field.

I don't think there's anywhere near VCU's campus to build a stadium. I think they will suffer from the same attendance woes as UR if they are away from campus.

Maybe they could expand the Siegel Center??? :D :p

Or they could pull a JMU and demoloish the stadium and rebuild it on that site. Its possible.........

And for Andy yes VCU is in the heart of Richmond and using Richmond's old stadium would probably be their best bet (with some improvements).

WileECoyote06
October 28th, 2008, 09:04 AM

Yep. Anytime you have former UNC System presidents speaking against the decision, you know it's not popular with the 'flagship' universities. I wonder if VSU, Richmond, and VUU alumni will get involved as well? They may look to undermine building permits and stadium construction.

Appstate29
October 28th, 2008, 09:05 AM
You don't know much about Virginia football then. Thats the great thing about being a Commonwealth. UVA and VT have close to zilch say on what VCU will do. Trust me. VCU's immediate threat is its own alumni base possibly being split on whether to add football or not.

who controls spending and funding? Who controls fees a University charges? (since athletic fees will be making up a large part of the increased cost of football for these schools), who controls newspapers and local media in VA?

elon77
October 28th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I hope they're successful. I didn't see any talk about what conference they'd play in, I'd have to think the CAA. This is looking more and more like the CAA will soon be a Virginia conference (to include Towson) with the northern schools breaking off. I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen and the old Yankee Conference returning with a few new faces from the north.

Foreman Field? WOW! I'm glad to hear it is still there. I can remember going to see the Norfolk Neptunes play there in the late 60's or early 70's when I was a kid living in Norfolk, VA.

When I was a kid we used to go every year to the Oyster Bowl. Roger Staubach played there with Navy when I was a kid. The old lady is going to look alot different than you remember, in one end zone they are building a high rise with luxury suites and club seats, and it is going to be pretty sweet. Redoing the whole place with new seats, rest rooms, turf, parking, and locker rooms. Go to ODU's web site and check out where the Neptunes used to play. By the way, I am a dinosaur, just ask my kids.xlolx

Dane96
October 28th, 2008, 09:09 AM
If my former working knowledge of the VA system finances are the same, UVA actually gets less tax dollars than VCU...and is (UVA) more of a pseudo private university.

ElonPride
October 28th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I don't believe its written in their charter, THAT is silly. What were they thinking, "hmm oh yeah, we are going to have exams and a nice quad, and ohhh yeah, you know what really ticks me off, FOOTBALL, this school can't have it, ever, write that down. No, bigger. In all eternity, no football."

I bet you think UNC-C can't have football either because Bonnie Cone's son was paralyzed in a football-related activity?

Trani, who is on his way out as President, said he would "never allow VCU football." It is possible I misunderstood this person that told me the "written in charter" thing.....

bostonspider
October 28th, 2008, 09:18 AM
but as you said Trani is on his way out. That is why this is coming up. I am not sure UR would be against this. More local football, means more attention. And an annual game between UR & VCU would be great for the city, in my opinion. It is not like UR and VCU tend to battle of the same students, as they are very very different schools. Likely they won't be battling over the same student athletes very much either.

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I'm sure the person that told me this is lying, which is highly doubtful seeing he is a very reputable figure in local media....

Also, Trani, who is on his way out as President, said he would "never allow VCU football."

If it's in the charter, why would Trani have to say that? It makes more sense for him to say "our charter doesn't allow it and I'm not allowing it."

ElonPride
October 28th, 2008, 09:49 AM
If it's in the charter, why would Trani have to say that? It makes more sense for him to say "our charter doesn't allow it and I'm not allowing it."

I revised my statement, see above....

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I revised my statement, see above....

I wasn't questioning your source or you, it just seemed confusing. I think it's still possible that it could be in the charter, that was just the first I had heard of it.

I tried to find the charter, but to no avail.

ElonPride
October 28th, 2008, 09:53 AM
but as you said Trani is on his way out. That is why this is coming up. I am not sure UR would be against this. More local football, means more attention. And an annual game between UR & VCU would be great for the city, in my opinion. It is not like UR and VCU tend to battle of the same students, as they are very very different schools. Likely they won't be battling over the same student athletes very much either.

I am not from Richmond, though I do reside here. As Trani is one of the most prominent Richmonders, do you think he would continue to have sway once he leaves?

I am inquiring to the person more knowledable than me about VCU dealings. One he responds, I'll post.

PhoenixSupreme
October 28th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I hope VCU would get a football team...it would give me something to do on Saturdays in the fall

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I hope VCU would get a football team...it would give me something to do on Saturdays in the fall

Ummm...yea, you see the thing is...

Well...I don't know how to tell him, I'll let you guys do it.

ur2k
October 28th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Ummm...yea, you see the thing is...

Well...I don't know how to tell him, I'll let you guys do it.

You can come see the team that handed your team one of their losses ... in VCU's future stadium xlolx

If you're nice, BigHouseClosedEnd or Eight Legger might even buy you a beer.

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2008, 10:12 AM
You can come see the team that handed your team one of their losses ... in VCU's future stadium xlolx

If you're nice, BigHouseClosedEnd or Eight Legger might even buy you a beer.

Nevermind...reread the post...

xdohx

ur2k
October 28th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Already changed, it. Spaced on that one

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Already changed, it. Spaced on that one

xlolx

Looks like we were simultaneously changing on ourselves.

MacThor
October 28th, 2008, 10:25 AM
UR Stadium is a lot closer to VCU than UR. It makes sense as a starting point.

Maybe we can recruit a bunch of VCU students to pack our stands for some playoff games? :)

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 10:31 AM
UR Stadium is a lot closer to VCU than UR. It makes sense as a starting point.

Maybe we can recruit a bunch of VCU students to pack our stands for some playoff games? :)

BEST IDEA EVER! xlolx

aust42
October 28th, 2008, 10:33 AM
The CAA, a once proud and powerful conference until three brand new programs joined and watered it down forcing out all the football member schools. What a dam shame.

Jackman
October 28th, 2008, 10:47 AM
If both VCU and GMU get football programs going, maybe we can combine part of the CAA with part of the MAC and create a 12 member conference with markets in only 2 states.

SuperJon
October 28th, 2008, 10:57 AM
This is shaping up big time for a Commonwealth Conference.

UR
VCU
JMU
GMU
ODU
W&M

Selfishly, I say add in Liberty and VMI to that but I know there'd be fighting against that.

If I'm not mistaken, GMU missed adding football by one vote last time they put it up for debate.

elon77
October 28th, 2008, 11:17 AM

You can drive your butt down to The Town of Elon on Saturdays and watch the Phoenix play. It ain't that far. I drive from Tidewater so I know.xnodx

danefan
October 28th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Come on VCU!

More CAA South teams please!!!! (Only helps Albany get out of scholarship pergatory.....)

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 11:36 AM
This is shaping up big time for a Commonwealth Conference.

UR
VCU
JMU
GMU
ODU
W&M

Selfishly, I say add in Liberty and VMI to that but I know there'd be fighting against that.

If I'm not mistaken, GMU missed adding football by one vote last time they put it up for debate.

That would be 8 teams. Qualifies for its own conference right there. Talk about a recruiting nightmare!

DFW HOYA
October 28th, 2008, 11:41 AM
That would be 8 teams. Qualifies for its own conference right there. Talk about a recruiting nightmare!

The PSAC was a 12-14 team conference in its D-II heyday and did pretty well for itself.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 11:42 AM
The PSAC was a 12-14 team conference in its D-II heyday and did pretty well for itself.

All in the same state?

DFW HOYA
October 28th, 2008, 11:46 AM
All in the same state?

Sure was, until 2008.

http://www.psacsports.org/

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Sure was, until 2008.

http://www.psacsports.org/

Maybe there is hope after all xnodx

alexale23
October 28th, 2008, 12:16 PM
More Virginia rivalries to look forward 2 xbowx

Its gonna take a long time before VCU is on the level of JMU maybe 20-30 years

Appaholic
October 28th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I'm sorry....I misread the title....thought someone had started a thread about WCU getting a football program....my bad....xwhistlex

dbackjon
October 28th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I'm sorry....I misread the title....thought someone had started a thread about WCU getting a football program....my bad....xwhistlex

You mean the team that took GaSo to OT?

Tribe4SF
October 28th, 2008, 01:44 PM

Remember them? I had W&M teammates who played for them. Remember the MarvaMaid milk cartons with the Neptunes' players on them?

blur2005
October 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM
If my former working knowledge of the VA system finances are the same, UVA actually gets less tax dollars than VCU...and is (UVA) more of a pseudo private university.
Correct. Of all the public schools in the state, I'm pretty sure UVA gets the least amount of public funding, I believe something in the 15-25% range. It's a private-public.

WUTNDITWAA
October 28th, 2008, 04:29 PM

xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

Monarch History
October 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Remember them? I had W&M teammates who played for them. Remember the MarvaMaid milk cartons with the Neptunes' players on them?

I worked as a Neptune ball boy while in High School and later as locker room staff while at Old Dominion. There were some great players and coaches in the Continental Football League' 65-'69 (before the NFL/AFL merger) and later the ACFL in the early '70s. Dan Henning, Don Jonas, Coy Baker, Nelson Munsey, Ken Stabler, Bill Walsh, and Garo Yepremian to name a few.

Back to the topic at hand. It took a new President from Canada, who had never been to a live football game, to get football instituted at ODU. The ODU campus has quickly been transformed from a commuter school to a "campus' school and football was the impetus.

One thing ODU has that VCU does not is an on Campus stadium. Read Rich Radford's ODU football blog addressing this issue.
http://hamptonroads.com/2008/10/copycats-making