PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions - Week 10

mvemjsunpx
October 28th, 2008, 03:53 AM
This week could get ugly for the underdogs…

Conference Games:

Sacramento St. (1-4, 3-5) @ Eastern Washington (2-2, 3-4) - The Eagles got a nice rebound against Montana State while Sac has looked absolutely terrible since the calendar turned to October: two blowout losses to NAU & Montana and an 11 point loss to the slumping Bobcats that wasn't anywhere near that close. It's hard to turn things around on the road… EWU 44, SAC 14

Portland St. (2-2, 3-4) @ Weber St. (5-0, 7-2) - On Saturday, the world was made aware of what I've said this whole season: Weber is a really good team. However, even after royally mauling NAU to death, voters in the FCS polls still haven't put them in the top 10. Anyway, the Vikes are 3-0 at home with a solid win over EWU, but 0-4 on the road including a loss to Sac, a drubbing in the Skydome, & Wazzu's only win of the season. PSU is outmatched here… WEBER 55, PORTST 24

Northern Arizona (4-1, 6-2) @ Montana (3-1, 7-1) - Did Weber expose the Lumberjacks as a fraud? Not completely, but the injury situation might finish the job. After losing RB Alex Henderson & TE Shaun Fitzpatrick, freshman phenom RB Deonte Williams suffered a knee injury against the Wildcats. The severity is unknown, but it may force QB Lance Kriesien to play running back again. With or without Williams, though, it will be difficult for the Lumberjacks to win in Missoula, a place they haven't won in 22 years. In addition, they've never beaten Montana in Washington-Grizzly Stadium and they've never beaten Montana under Jerome Souers, who is 0-10 against his former employer. You may think the 'Jacks are due, but again, it's hard to turn things around on the road… UMT 34, NAU 16

Northern Colorado (1-3, 1-6) @ Montana St. (2-2, 4-4) - The Bears hadn't got many wins going into last week, but at least they'd played everyone close. No such luck on Saturday, as the Griz handed them a dominant 41-20 setback. Meanwhile, the Bobcats may have turned things around by winning in Sacto, a place they usually struggle. Northern Colorado has potential & is moving in the right direction, but, as I've said twice before, it's hard to turn things around on the road… MTST 31, NCOL 13

Non-Conference Game:

Idaho St. (0-8) @ Cal Poly (5-1) - After winning 69-41 over Southern Utah, it's readily apparent the Mustangs could score 80 on the Bengals if they really tried hard. However, we all know they won't even need to try after halftime in this one. Idaho State couldn't even get to 20 points against the porous Portland State defense this past week, so I don't think they can force a shootout here. It's hard to turn things around on the road, especially when you're not any good… CPOLY 56, IDST 14

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 07:52 AM
PSU is a trap game for WSU.

I'm calling it right now. xlolxxcoffeex

Grizzaholic
October 28th, 2008, 09:21 AM

The only game that I can really see WSU losing the rest of the way is EWU. Then again they could just be getting ready to mimic everybody's favorite baseball team and have a complete collapse and drop the last 3 games.

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 09:47 AM
The only game that I can really see WSU losing the rest of the way is EWU. Then again they could just be getting ready to mimic everybody's favorite baseball team and have a complete collapse and drop the last 3 games.I would rather that didn't happen. I want to see Weber steamroll CAA and SoCon teams in the playoffs. xlolx

Let's just compromise and say they lose one, and then don't have to play Montana again. xlolxxthumbsupx

CopperCat
October 28th, 2008, 10:30 AM
The only game that I can really see WSU losing the rest of the way is EWU. Then again they could just be getting ready to mimic everybody's favorite baseball team and have a complete collapse and drop the last 3 games.

WSU will have an offensive clinic against EWU's shoddy defense.

Grizzaholic
October 28th, 2008, 11:18 AM

Hey, I am not disagreeing with you. I am just saying that is the only team that I can see left on their schedule that has a chance of pulling the upset. And for the record, even if Weber St. loses one more game they will still be in the playoffs and get to play spoiler for some CAA or SoCon team.

already123
October 28th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I dont think that there is a "trap Game" for WSU....we just all secretly want them to lose now...

SeattleGriz
October 28th, 2008, 02:17 PM

I know you are kidding, but man do I hate those stupid sayings. The one I hate the most, is when the playoffs start for Pros, and the announcers always say, "That layoff could really help, or hurt this team".

Screamin_Eagle174
October 28th, 2008, 03:21 PM

Perhaps, but maybe not. Thru the first 6 games we were allowing about 491 yards a game. The last two we've allowed 348 and 335 yards... not to mention virtually cut in half the points allowed. Not that we're anywhere close to playing as well as we were against Tech (24-49... far better than half the teams they've played this year... and they're ranked #7 now) and Colorado, but we're definitely improving on D by getting stops and creating turnovers.

Looking of the Box Score of the Weber/NAU game, NAU actually outperformed Weber in rushing. The difference make was the passing game and turnovers. Lance Kriesen and his backup are no Matt Nichols. Should be a hell of game... too bad it's the last one of the year.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 28th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Sacramento St. @ Eastern Washington
Birds 28, Bees 14

Portland St. @ Weber St.
Kitties 63, Vikes 42

Northern Arizona @ Montana
Griz 35, Jacks 21

Northern Colorado @ Montana St.
Kitties 24, Bears 21

Idaho St. @ Cal Poly
Stands 42, Bengals 7

griz8791
October 28th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I dont think that there is a "trap Game" for WSU....we just all secretly want them to lose now...

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I'm pretty up front about my desire for a miracle at this point.

Though I have to admit, Weber and their fans have paid their dues in this conference many times over and have waited a long time for this.

JALMOND
October 29th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I have to say I find all this talk about Portland State's defense (or lack thereof) amusing. The most points we have given up all year is 48 to Washington State (most in FCS competition is 37 against NAU). Yet as I glance at other people's predictions, I see 50+ and even 60+ against us. If you are going to make a prediction than at least give a realistic score. By throwing these types of numbers just shows that all of you have not done your homework.xsmhx

I Bleed Purple
October 29th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I don't know about the rest of you guys but I'm pretty up front about my desire for a miracle at this point.

Though I have to admit, Weber and their fans have paid their dues in this conference many times over and have waited a long time for this.

All five of us. xthumbsupx

I Bleed Purple
October 29th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I have to say I find all this talk about Portland State's defense (or lack thereof) amusing. The most points we have given up all year is 48 to Washington State (most in FCS competition is 37 against NAU). Yet as I glance at other people's predictions, I see 50+ and even 60+ against us. If you are going to make a prediction than at least give a realistic score. By throwing these types of numbers just shows that all of you have not done your homework.xsmhx

73-68

mvemjsunpx
October 29th, 2008, 03:16 AM

How 'bout these numbers?

Portland State

99th. in scoring defense (32.4)
115th. in total defense (459.1)
79th. in run defense (163.4)
115th. in pass defense (295.7)

Weber State

15th. in scoring (35.0)
12th. in total offense (433.0)
4th. in passing (327.6)
3rd. in passing efficiency (178.1)

50+ for Weber looks pretty plausible to me…

wapiti
October 29th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Here are my picks: (Home teams rule the field this week.)

Conference Games:

EWU 32, SAC 20

BBQ 35, PSU 19

UM 28, NAU 24

MSU 31, NC 28

Non-Conference Game:

CPOLY 42, IDST 21

already123
October 29th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Perhaps, but maybe not. Thru the first 6 games we were allowing about 491 yards a game. The last two we've allowed 348 and 335 yards... not to mention virtually cut in half the points allowed. Not that we're anywhere close to playing as well as we were against Tech (24-49... far better than half the teams they've played this year... and they're ranked #7 now) and Colorado, but we're definitely improving on D by getting stops and creating turnovers.

Looking of the Box Score of the Weber/NAU game, NAU actually outperformed Weber in rushing. The difference make was the passing game and turnovers. Lance Kriesen and his backup are no Matt Nichols. Should be a hell of game... too bad it's the last one of the year.

I dont know if I would go all out for Nichols this year. Yes, we have seen his potential but he isnt necessarily having a great year this year...

Both Kriesien and Herrick boast much better Quarterback ratings...

Monte Madness
October 29th, 2008, 03:45 PM

You are correct. Weber's fans have waited a very long time for this. All 20 of them. xsmiley_wix

Walkon79
October 29th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Not me. Let em run the table so the bloggers can finally quit calling the BSC a one horse conference.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 29th, 2008, 09:26 PM
All five of us. xthumbsupx

Dammit, beat me too it! :D You guys have to compete against Utah and BYU, but I'm surprised your attendance hasn't gotten better this year. There should be a few more fair weather (although the griz game was NOT fair weather!) fans and band wagoners to help you out. If I can make it again this year, I'll try and catch you guys again. I caught the Utah game and the Griz game, might try to catch another one. Just don't kick me out because I wore my Griz gear! hehe

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 29th, 2008, 09:29 PM

It just kind of has that feel for me, I dunno why. Last year was pretty crazy and I think it could end up the same way this year.

JALMOND
October 29th, 2008, 11:53 PM
How 'bout these numbers?

Portland State

99th. in scoring defense (32.4)
115th. in total defense (459.1)
79th. in run defense (163.4)
115th. in pass defense (295.7)

Weber State

15th. in scoring (35.0)
12th. in total offense (433.0)
4th. in passing (327.6)
3rd. in passing efficiency (178.1)

50+ for Weber looks pretty plausible to me…

Still, it gets pretty funny as far as the score. Some predictions had EWU scoring 60+ on us (didn't happen). Some had NAU scoring 50+ and 60+ on us (also didn't happen). Some even had Wazzu scoring 60+ on us, too (now that's funny). If people are basing this game on what happened last year, remember that Weber needed every bit of the 73 points as they gave us 68, yet no one is saying we will score 60+ on them. It would be great to see Hubel throw 9 touchdowns again.:D

JALMOND
October 30th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Finally the picture is getting clear with Weber State leading the way. Will this week stay clear or will it get muddled again. Remains to be seen as times have dictated that, just when it seems as if the year is done, we are all brought back to reality with more work to do. Like me. Last year, I only picked nine game wrong all year. Currently I am at 42-8. I desperately need a perfect week. So here are my picks for this weekend's slate...

ISU @ Cal Poly---The Bengals are still looking for that elusive first win and this week, they venture out of conference to face one of the better teams out west in Cal Poly. After a close loss at home to Montana the second week of the season, the Mustangs have been on a roll. Can the Bengals play like Montana? Can they just score?...Cal Poly 45, ISU 7.

NAU @ UM---Once again a team coming off a discouraging loss has to play the Grizzlies. The Jacks last week had a very poor showing at home to the conference leading Weber State team and now have to play the Grizzlies, a team that the Jacks coach, Sauers, has never beaten in his tenure at NAU. EWU came out flat against the Griz in their matchup, will the Jacks do the same?...UM 26, NAU 21.

UNC @ MSU---Hard to imagine the Bears making any enemies in their short stint in the conference, but there is some bad blood between them and the Bobcats as they beat the Bobcats for their only win last year in Greeley. The Bobcats last two games at home have been disasterous, but then again the Bears might not be the same caliber as WSU and EWU...MSU 21, UNC 17.

PSU @ WSU---Hard to say on this one. Last year, the Wilcats prevailed over the Vikings in Portland, 73-68, a score that was then duplicated by both basketball teams in their first meeting last year. The Vikings are still looking for their first road win and the last Wildcat home game was a little bit tense, even though they led every single statisical category. How do the Wildcats handle their first game as the hunted instead of the hunter...WSU 42, PSU 36.

Sac State @ EWU---The Eagle season, once given up on, has a glimmer of life after entering last week's bye week with a win over Montana State. The Hornets come into Cheney hurting a bit and just trying to recapture the magic of the first part of the year. Last week, the home loss to Montana State did not help any. This week its the Eagles...EWU 38, Sac State 14.

Take the home team this week. Pretty safe bet.xthumbsupx

GolfingGriz
October 30th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Cal Poly 52 Idaho State 21

Montana State 27 Northern Colorado 17

Weber State 31 Portland State 28

Eastern Washington 38 Sac State 35

Montana 35 NAU 17

Screamin_Eagle174
October 30th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Cal Poly 52 Idaho State 21

Montana State 27 Northern Colorado 17

Weber State 31 Portland State 28

Eastern Washington 38 Sac State 35

Montana 35 NAU 17

There's no way in hell Sac State keeps it that close.

EWU 42-24 SAC

GolfingGriz
October 30th, 2008, 12:53 AM

EWU 42-24 SAC

Sac is good when they show up. I figure they are due to show up.

JALMOND
October 31st, 2008, 12:54 AM
Sac is good when they show up. I figure they are due to show up.

Show up? The last time anyone has seen them was when they left Sacramento for Missoula a couple weeks back. I don't think they made it back.

Bobcat in NC
November 2nd, 2008, 12:05 PM

EWU 42-24 SAC

xsplatx

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 12:08 PM

EWU 42-24 SAC

xbowx xbowx xbowx xeyebrowx

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
Finally the picture is getting clear with Weber State leading the way. Will this week stay clear or will it get muddled again. Remains to be seen as times have dictated that, just when it seems as if the year is done, we are all brought back to reality with more work to do. Like me. Last year, I only picked nine game wrong all year. Currently I am at 42-8. I desperately need a perfect week. So here are my picks for this weekend's slate...

ISU @ Cal Poly---The Bengals are still looking for that elusive first win and this week, they venture out of conference to face one of the better teams out west in Cal Poly. After a close loss at home to Montana the second week of the season, the Mustangs have been on a roll. Can the Bengals play like Montana? Can they just score?...Cal Poly 45, ISU 7.

NAU @ UM---Once again a team coming off a discouraging loss has to play the Grizzlies. The Jacks last week had a very poor showing at home to the conference leading Weber State team and now have to play the Grizzlies, a team that the Jacks coach, Sauers, has never beaten in his tenure at NAU. EWU came out flat against the Griz in their matchup, will the Jacks do the same?...UM 26, NAU 21.

UNC @ MSU---Hard to imagine the Bears making any enemies in their short stint in the conference, but there is some bad blood between them and the Bobcats as they beat the Bobcats for their only win last year in Greeley. The Bobcats last two games at home have been disasterous, but then again the Bears might not be the same caliber as WSU and EWU...MSU 21, UNC 17.

PSU @ WSU---Hard to say on this one. Last year, the Wilcats prevailed over the Vikings in Portland, 73-68, a score that was then duplicated by both basketball teams in their first meeting last year. The Vikings are still looking for their first road win and the last Wildcat home game was a little bit tense, even though they led every single statisical category. How do the Wildcats handle their first game as the hunted instead of the hunter...WSU 42, PSU 36.

Sac State @ EWU---The Eagle season, once given up on, has a glimmer of life after entering last week's bye week with a win over Montana State. The Hornets come into Cheney hurting a bit and just trying to recapture the magic of the first part of the year. Last week, the home loss to Montana State did not help any. This week its the Eagles...EWU 38, Sac State 14.

Take the home team this week. Pretty safe bet.xthumbsupx

Excuse me while I wipe the egg off my face (thank you Hornets!). 4-1 this week leaves me so far at 46-9. I know some had the Sac State-EWU game closer, but who had the Hornets winning?xoopsx

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
You are correct. Weber's fans have waited a very long time for this. All 20 of them. xsmiley_wix

Twenty? I thought there were only five of us. Could you please introduce me to the other fifteen? xsmiley_wix

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
Show up? The last time anyone has seen them was when they left Sacramento for Missoula a couple weeks back. I don't think they made it back.

Maybe they've been in Cheney this whole time...

I Bleed Purple
November 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
xsplatx

I'm just sad we'll be missing Screamin' Eagle for a week. Always like to see him posting.

CopperCat
November 2nd, 2008, 03:29 PM

EWU 42-24 SAC

I guess that's what you call ironic.xliarx

DuckDuckGriz
November 2nd, 2008, 04:14 PM
I guess that's what you call ironic.xliarx

Ya gotta feel for the guy - who in the hell saw that coming.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 2nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
I just don't get it. This season has so much potential. Going into halftime we were down by only 11 to Texas Tech, who just dethroned no. 1 Texas to stay perfect on the season. Then the next week, we lead Colorado by 14 going into the half.

I suppose it's only fitting though... so much promise and potential before the utter implosion. Much like Seattle today... score a 90yd TD pass to Koren on the first play for the Hawks... then nothing. I think I might just go into hibernation... see y'all in the spring. xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
I just don't get it. This season has so much potential. Going into halftime we were down by only 11 to Texas Tech, who just dethroned no. 1 Texas to stay perfect on the season. Then the next week, we lead Colorado by 14 going into the half...

I don't get it either, Eagle. At the beginning of the season I thought the last game between Weber and Eastern Washington had a good chance to be for the conference championship, especially after how well the Eags played the FBS schools. xconfusedx

EWashEagle
November 2nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
I know screaminEag, after the MSU game I thought the team was back on the right track....that Sac game was painful to watch.....

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 06:11 PM
[QUOTE=Screamin_Eagle174;1188130]I just don't get it. This season has so much potential. Going into halftime we were down by only 11 to Texas Tech, who just dethroned no. 1 Texas to stay perfect on the season. Then the next week, we lead Colorado by 14 going into the half.

I suppose it's only fitting though... so much promise and potential before the utter implosion. Much like Seattle today... score a 90yd TD pass to Koren on the first play for the Hawks... then nothing. I think I might just go into hibernation... see y'all in the spring.

Hard to predict what will happen in November based on what happens in September.

bpcats
November 2nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
EWU's step back this year is a little confusing. Are all the replacements on the offensive line holding up and not giving up any sacks? Last year your oline was very solid. Last year Nichols was very efficient and didn't turn the ball over hardly at all but has thrown more picks this year.

Turnovers at critical times make a big difference.

Last year the Eagles used a 3-3-5 attacking defense but switched to a traditional 4-3. It may not seem like that big of change, but your team goes from a boom or bust type defense versus one where everybody has to be very disciplined in what they are doing.

The Big Sky is a little tougher this year. Losing to Weber and Montana is nothing to be ashamed of. Some teams like Sac State may just match up well your team.

Last year the Eagles were on a mission to their 3-9 record from the prior year and they exploded on the scene. Sometimes playing with success is harder to do.