PDA

View Full Version : FCS title game could be moved

BDKJMU
October 28th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Richmond Times Dispatch:
If approved, teams would play on eve of national title game in 2010.
http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports/more.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-10-28-0070.html

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I think it's a good idea.

Despite the fact that any momentum a team has in the playoffs is basically erased, and they have to go home and wait for almost a month, it gives teams more time to prepare and rest up, and have 100% squads for the title game. Plus, the scheduling options freed up would be awesome, as I'd like to see the Brawl of the Wild as the last game of the season for both teams.

Add in the fact that it'd get TV time in the prime of the Bowl Season, and it's even better.

Can anyone think of any glaring points as to why this isn't a good idea?

BDKJMU
October 28th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Chatty would likely be pretty cold in early Jan. If not kept there, since the majority of I-AA teams are east of the Mississippi, I imagine the site would be as well. Warm weather sites in January would have to mean Florida or deep south with a 20-40k stadium. FAU's beautiful 30k stadium opening in Boca Raton, Fla in fall of 2010.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAU_Football_Stadium

or FIU stadium which seats 20k, but will be increased to 45k by 2011:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIU_Stadium

UCF stadium which seats 45k:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_House_Networks_Stadium

In Mobile, AL. 41k capacity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladd_Peebles_Stadium

Charleston is further south than Chatty, and warmer in the winter since its on the coast: Citadel's stadium capacity is listed at 21k and with the major renovations would sound about perfect:
http://www.citadelsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=43262&SPID=3837&DB_OEM_ID=9700&ATCLID=454873

Statesboro is at least further south than Chatty, and I see GSU's stadium is listed at 18k capacity, but they've had 25k+ overflow with temp seating when they hosted the 89'-91' I-AA NC games.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulson_Stadium

Hey Boca Raton or Charleston sound better than Chatty in January, and with new 30k stadium (FAU) or newly renovated 21k (Citadel), they sound like good choices.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 28th, 2008, 02:48 AM

Despite the fact that any momentum a team has in the playoffs is basically erased, and they have to go home and wait for almost a month, it gives teams more time to prepare and rest up, and have 100% squads for the title game. Plus, the scheduling options freed up would be awesome, as I'd like to see the Brawl of the Wild as the last game of the season for both teams.

Add in the fact that it'd get TV time in the prime of the Bowl Season, and it's even better.

It would also make travel arrangements easier for any Western/Midwestern teams that might make it. The momentum thing is nil as both teams would have at least 3 big wins to get there so that's a wash in my mind. I agree the long lay off has pluses and minuses. I'm sure someone will come up with some negatives I haven't thought of though.

mvemjsunpx
October 28th, 2008, 05:00 AM

I think that makes it worse, not better. The big advantage the FCS title game has now is that there isn't much else of major consequence going on sports-wise in mid-December. If you put it right next to the BCS title game, no-one will even be paying attention.

Plus, the scheduling options freed up would be awesome, as I'd like to see the Brawl of the Wild as the last game of the season for both teams.

Huh? Isn't it already? The last time the Griz-Cat game didn't close the regular season was 1992 (not counting 2001 when the Idaho game was postponed by 9/11).

Tribe4SF
October 28th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I like the idea of giving fans an opportunity to plan travel to the championship. The current setup is hard on fans...and expensive.

bluehenbillk
October 28th, 2008, 07:09 AM
The plus as previously stated is it gives fans more time to plan travel to get to the game.

The negative is the media attention the game won't get. Let's face it playing the night before the BCS championship is like a boys JV or a girls team playing before the high school varsity, yawn.

Rob Iola
October 28th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Too cold for football?

Game stays in Chatty - it's a really big deal for those folks...

appstate38
October 28th, 2008, 07:30 AM
The plus as previously stated is it gives fans more time to plan travel to get to the game.

The negative is the media attention the game won't get. Let's face it playing the night before the BCS championship is like a boys JV or a girls team playing before the high school varsity, yawn.

That is the glaring negative as far as I can see that the FCS game will be just a side note for the ESPN guys who will be focused on the BCS title game.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Too cold for football?

Game stays in Chatty - it's a really big deal for those folks...

Can't be that big of a deal to them if they fail to have a sell out crowd at the NC game (minus when app or gs is there).xconfusedx

Pards Rule
October 28th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Boca! Boca!

WoffDoc04
October 28th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Agreed that the casual fan probably won't tune in on the eve of the BCS Championship, but is that to whom the FCS should cater? The extra time will definitely help with fans who have to travel a long distance to get to the game. And isn't college football (especially the FCS) really more about being there than watching on TV? I mean, the NFL is made for TV, not the FCS. Also, this plan would make up for the extra game to be added when the playoffs expand to 20 teams in 2010.

I like Charleston for hosting the event. The renovations to The Citadel's stadium look pretty sweet, and the city itself fits the spirit of FCS. It's not too big, but people who have been there absolutely love it. Also, the game would be THE event in Charleston and not get lost like it might at a larger venue. Plus a couple of years back, there was a big push to try to get a bowl game in Johnson-Hagood...so the city would be up for it too.

theasushow
October 28th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Another good point is that exams should be over for most schools. I remember the past few years ASU has literally had to take exams in the hotel at chatty, so it will be good that the players can focus on football. (I mean thats whats important right)

IaaScribe
October 28th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I think that makes it worse, not better. The big advantage the FCS title game has now is that there isn't much else of major consequence going on sports-wise in mid-December. If you put it right next to the BCS title game, no-one will even be paying attention.

No one pays attention now. As it is currently played, the FCS title game is stuck on a Friday night in the college football dead season, before the crap minor bowls are played. I understand why it isn't played Saturday ... it would be up against the NFL. But very few people who don't have a vested interest in FCS football or the teams involved are watching the title game.

If ESPN is carrying the game, ESPN will promote it as a sort of championship weekend. It certainly would get more bounce than the GMAC Bowl or the International Bowl or whatever is played on that Sunday now.

Zim262
October 28th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Keep it where it's at and when it is. It would be almost impossible to watch the game with the ESPN announcers basically doing a 3 hour commercial/promotion for the next nights BCS championship. Doubtful you could see much of the game with them doing interviews of the BCS game coaches, players, players girlfriends, or whoever they could talk to or talk about rather than covering the game. Anyone remember the game last year, I think it was the night before the Heisman presentation, it was nothing but TebowTV. Give me a break.

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 07:46 AM

Huh? Isn't it already? The last time the Griz-Cat game didn't close the regular season was 1992 (not counting 2001 when the Idaho game was postponed by 9/11).Both teams have worried that after 2010, they won't be able to do it the last game of the season every year, due to the new playoff expansion and elimination of a bye-week.

And I think it's better right before the BCS title. After the end of the regular season, most BCS fans tune College ball out of their head until the big games start going in late December/January. At that point, people will tune in just to get their football fix.

You could really make an argument for both.

IaaScribe
October 28th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Keep it where it's at and when it is. It would be almost impossible to watch the game with the ESPN announcers basically doing a 3 hour commercial/promotion for the next nights BCS championship. Doubtful you could see much of the game with them doing interviews of the BCS game coaches, players, players girlfriends, or whoever they could talk to or talk about rather than covering the game. Anyone remember the game last year, I think it was the night before the Heisman presentation, it was nothing but TebowTV. Give me a break.

Remember, ESPN doesn't carry the BCS championship game. Fox does. ESPN carried the Heisman presentation, thus all the shameless in-house advertising for it.

Zim262
October 28th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Remember, ESPN doesn't carry the BCS championship game. Fox does. ESPN carried the Heisman presentation, thus all the shameless in-house advertising for it.

I still think it would be a similar situation with little notice given to the actual game and a lot of drivel instead.

Rob Iola
October 28th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I like Charleston for hosting the event. The renovations to The Citadel's stadium look pretty sweet, and the city itself fits the spirit of FCS. It's not too big, but people who have been there absolutely love it. Also, the game would be THE event in Charleston and not get lost like it might at a larger venue. Plus a couple of years back, there was a big push to try to get a bowl game in Johnson-Hagood...so the city would be up for it too.
Too many used car lots around THE Citadel...

... which of course inhibits the ability for ESPN to use the Outback blimp to properly showcase the event. Hence a problem economically with the viability of moving it to Charleston.

wouldn't want to be accused of smack on the discussion board...

jmu_duke07
October 28th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Charleston would be perfect because i live there xthumbsupx . Plus, it's not to hot nor cold for that time of year... Perfect for football. And the night life is great!

appfan2008
October 28th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I think this is a wonderful idea!!!...

IMO positives include, rest... bye week... possibly more national coverage... not during exams... building excitement... extended season... TRAVEL PLANS CAN ACTUALLY BE MADE!!!

lets face it... other than about 20 schools including app that can practically drive to chatty and back in one day 90% of fcs schools have to get hotels and fly and do expensive plans... with this option they will have a few weeks to make those plans instead of a day! also moving it to florida or something would be really smart IMO... chatty is pretty close to the epicenter of fcs football but a) we are out growing it b) if people are going to travel in january they want to go to florida... etc...

citdog
October 28th, 2008, 08:06 AM
the NCAA will not schedule any postseason events in the glorious State of South Carolina due to the NCAA's support of the boycott of this State by the NAACP, aka "the black klan" over the placement of the Battle Flag of The Army of Northern Virginia on the Confederate Soldiers Monument on our Statehouse grounds.....

89Hen
October 28th, 2008, 08:06 AM
This is 100% about playoff expansion, not moving to a better date. xpeacex

Appstate29
October 28th, 2008, 08:20 AM
This is 100% about playoff expansion, not moving to a better date. xpeacex

Whether it is or not, I think its a good idea in the long run anyway. Now if the NCAA approves this and sets up some parameters for being FCS, then they might actually show they give a damn about this league...

Rekdiver
October 28th, 2008, 08:20 AM
With all due respect to the fine people in Statesboro, I don't see that city as a destination. I've frozen my keester off in Charleston in Dec, Jan before. If we are goin to move it, Florida would be great.

spdram
October 28th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Playoff expansion almost makes a move mandatory. Overall I think it is a positive move, as said above FCS is more about being there than TV viewing. In that light I would look to cities that are warm weather, at or near an airport hub and have great entertainment. Since most FCS teams are in the east maybe a even odd year switch between Fl and TX.

ur2k
October 28th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Last season's BCS title game was on a Monday night, this season's is a Thursday night, 2010 is Friday night. That would mean that in future seasons the FCS championship could be played on Sunday, Weds or Thurs? That seems odd. I like being the only show in town on a Friday in December. The BCS could be any day of the week and people would watch.

Ronbo
October 28th, 2008, 08:46 AM
The positives of this WAY outweigh the negatives.

1. Game during winter break is good for the players.
2. Time for the teams to heal and prepare.
3. Time to book hotels and flights for the fans.
4. Next to the last College game of the season. It's going to garner much more attention than it does now.

This is good. Hope it passes. Not sure the NCAA would block it if it is supported by the Coaches and AD's.

Ronbo
October 28th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Last season's BCS title game was on a Monday night, this season's is a Thursday night, 2010 is Friday night. That would mean that in future seasons the FCS championship could be played on Sunday, Weds or Thurs? That seems odd. I like being the only show in town on a Friday in December. The BCS could be any day of the week and people would watch.

Friday night is traditionally low television ratings night. People go out to dinner, movies, and bars on Friday night.

Any other day is better.

Jackman
October 28th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I think it's a no-brainer.
Positives:
+ Allows the retention of an 11 games with a bye schedule or a 12 game schedule, whereas not pushing it back would force 11 straight games without a bye.

+ Allows extra time to arrange travel, especially for students in the middle of exam season, though I can see why folks in Boone might not like the loss of their advantage.

No Change:
= Yeah, the broadcast will spend a lot of time talking about the BCS Championship. I'd rather hear about that than the Heisman, or the entire bowl lineup coming up on ESPN.

Negatives:
- None that I can see.

Hansel
October 28th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Baton Rouge?

grizbeer
October 28th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Friday night is traditionally low television ratings night. People go out to dinner, movies, and bars on Friday night.

Any other day is better.Especially in the middle of December - tons of companies have their Christmas party during that time. Moving it until after the New Year is a great idea - should improve attendance, especially if the game is held in a big tourist area, say like Orlando or San Diego.

slostang
October 28th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Awesome idea. Keeping the bye is the biggest advantage. Fans being able to make travel plans is also big. And after three tough playoff games it gives both teams time to get healthy and not be in the middle of final exams. Win, win, win in my opinion.

Ronbo
October 28th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Orlando should satisfy both the Western and Eastern folks. Get a tie in with Disney. Call the game the Walt Disney Bowl! Huge sponsor.

elon77
October 28th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I can't believe no one has suggested having it in Boone.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 28th, 2008, 09:29 AM

Good one! xlolx

We could also go 'retro' and play it in Huntington, WV.

appfan2008
October 28th, 2008, 09:31 AM

I wouldnt want it in boone... be too damn cold... no travel options in or out... not enough hotels available with ski season... plus lets go to orlando!

apppackdad
October 28th, 2008, 09:34 AM
The travel plan part is good. Never do we want to put the FCS championship on the eve of the bcs beauty pageant. The reasons already expressed cover it well. How about one week later, after most have exams , but before Christmas. Play in Florida, Mobile Al., maybe alternate a little more west every couple of years.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 28th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I would actually love to see it in Montana.

Ok - before you take me to the Nut House for psychological evaluation, hear me out.

Frozen tundra, Gorgeous venue, Potential for "Classic" football weather. Yes, not only do we use a playoff system and do it the right way, the fans who come to our championship are TRUE FOOTBALL FANS who love the bone crushing, snow falling, blistery weather surrounded by great scenery, grilling and ample booze to keep warm. Yes my friends, a sold out Griz Stadium for a National Championship would be a place where dreams come to life! xnodx

Now if the Griz make it to the NC Title game, we may have to move the location to, say... London! xlolx xrotatehx

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Orlando should satisfy both the Western and Eastern folks. Get a tie in with Disney. Call the game the Walt Disney Bowl! Huge sponsor.

Oralndo starts to get pricey though.

My vote is Mobile, AL if they're going to move it.

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Ok - before you take me to the Nut House for psychological evaluation, hear me out.

Frozen tundra, Gorgeous venue, Potential for "Classic" football weather. Yes, not only do we use a playoff system and do it the right way, the fans who come to our championship are TRUE FOOTBALL FANS who love the bone crushing, snow falling, blistery weather surrounded by great scenery, grilling and ample booze to keep warm. Yes my friends, a sold out Griz Stadium for a National Championship would be a place where dreams come to life! xnodx I LIKE the way you think! xthumbsupx

Now if the Griz make it to the NC Title game, we may have to move the location to, say... London! xlolx xrotatehxScratch that...xnonono2x

xlolxxlolxxlolx:p:p:p

Ronbo
October 28th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Mobile is on the Ocean isn't it? What is their stadium like?

JayJ79
October 28th, 2008, 09:48 AM

It already IS the national title game. duh.
who cares about the BCS

19Duke97
October 28th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Mobile is on the Ocean isn't it? What is their stadium like?

Close - it's on the gulf of Mexico... assuming it has not been blown way by some freak hurricane. I concur though, this is the type of thing the that community needs to help rebuild. New Orleans gets more press b/c of the horrible situation that went on there, but Mobile has taken its' fair share of hits, and would prob love to have more money come in. They play the Senior and GMAC bowls there as well I believe, so scheduling may be somewhat of an issue.

MacThor
October 28th, 2008, 10:06 AM

I sure do. It was the UR/ASU semifinal. If I had been a Heisman voter, I would have changed my vote to Colt Brennan if he had told the announcers "Hey guys, shut up. I'm trying to watch a good game."

RabidRabbit
October 28th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Daytona, FL (use the speedway for something good! xlolx xlolx xlolx )
Betune-Cookman host school.

Jacksonville, FL - Jacksonville Dolphins hosting

Tallahassee, FL - FAMU host (at FSU)

Gainesville, FL (at the Swamp)

How about Tx or LA schools hosting?

A major cudos to the current arrangement is that a FCS school hosts. Unfortunately, not many of the FCS schools are in the deep south. Or if they are, the stadiums are smaller.

Jackson St. stadium may be a good site?

GATA
October 28th, 2008, 10:13 AM
That is the glaring negative as far as I can see that the FCS game will be just a side note for the ESPN guys who will be focused on the BCS title game.

Do they pay any attention anyway?

perhaps FCS title game could ride the wave of BCS media attention? Sort of like an opening act for the main event?

FCS Go!
October 28th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Changing the date is fine but moving the game past a comfortable one day road trip for the majority of schools might not be a good idea. How many fans would fly @ $600+ per ticket or drive for 10 hours to see the game? I know this makes no sense to anyone from the West but back East a four hour trip is viewed as something of an ordeal.

elcid96
October 28th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Can't be that big of a deal to them if they fail to have a sell out crowd at the NC game (minus when app or gs is there).xconfusedx

Great point about the support that Chatty doesn't bring to the games. It is probably time for a move.

Proud Griz Man
October 28th, 2008, 10:17 AM

This is just another strain on the players, who are students. The Griz played 16 games in 2001 and players had to reschedule final exams or have a professor's assistant administer the exam in the team bus, airplane or Chattanooga hotel conference room. This football season would run from August up through early January now? Expanding the playoffs from 16 to 20 is a stupid idea too.

This is all about $$$$$$$$. xnonono2x

Since 1997, the FCS championship game has been held in mid-December in Chattanooga, Tenn., and concluded four consecutive weekends of tournament competition. This proposal would suspend the FCS tournament following mid-December semifinals, allow the championship-game qualifiers to break for the holidays, then meet in a nationally televised game the night before the early-January BCS (Football Bowl Subdivision) championship game.

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Changing the date is fine but moving the game past a comfortable one day road trip for the majority of schools might not be a good idea. How many fans would fly @ $600+ per ticket or drive for 10 hours to see the game? I know this makes no sense to anyone from the West but back East a four hour trip is viewed as something of an ordeal.

I would definitely get a group and drive.

Road Trip baby!!!

(Then again, I post on this board and probably have a little more enthusiasim than most...)

Ronbo
October 28th, 2008, 10:22 AM
It already IS the national title game. duh.
who cares about the BCS

Excuse me are you mentally challenged? Who cares about the BCS game. That's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted.xoopsx xoopsx xnonono2x

About 50 million TV viewers and 99% of sports fans.

introvertedGSUfan
October 28th, 2008, 10:35 AM

That would be just too awesome. They could sell tickets to any interested UF students too that can help with the exposure of good FCS football.

FCS Go!
October 28th, 2008, 10:43 AM
That would be just too awesome. They could sell tickets to any interested UF students too that can help with the exposure of good FCS football.

15000 fans in that stadium would look awful on TV & would probably suck in person. It would have to be a smaller venue or give an autobid to the NC to the SWAC champion.

Ronbo
October 28th, 2008, 10:47 AM
15000 fans in that stadium would look awful on TV & would probably suck in person. It would have to be a smaller venue or give an autobid to the NC to the SWAC champion.

A 30,000 seat stadium would be perfect.

Las Vegas nice 30,000 seats.

How is the Orlando and Mobile stadiums?

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Haven't we been over the "To which stadium should we move the NC game" discussion already.....like in at least five different threads? xlolxxnodx

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Haven't we been over the "To which stadium should we move the NC game" discussion already.....like in at least five different threads? xlolxxnodx

Like that's ever shut down a thread before...:D

SuperJon
October 28th, 2008, 10:50 AM
This is pretty much a done deal. Well, moving the date is.

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Like that's ever shut down a thread before...:DRight, and true to form, someone has made a "Haven't we been through this before?" post in all but the first one. xlolxxlolx

FCS Go!
October 28th, 2008, 10:55 AM

I still think Orlando is too far away. Chatty is fine. If you want to move the location of the game you'll have to keep it within driving distance of most schools. Foreman Field in Norfolk comes to mind. The phantom DC United soccer stadium in Washington DC would be perfect (27-30k).

Zim262
October 28th, 2008, 10:59 AM
If it were played the night before the BCS game in the same city would there be enough hotel rooms for fans of all four teams? Just a thought.

If it is to be played in the same city what about playing the game at a smaller stadium in the same city.

Ronbo
October 28th, 2008, 11:05 AM
If it were played the night before the BCS game in the same city would there be enough hotel rooms for fans of all four teams? Just a thought.

If it is to be played in the same city what about playing the game at a smaller stadium in the same city.

There is no mention of the same city. They would never do that.

danefan
October 28th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Sounds like moving the date is a done-deal. I would expect Chatty to come up with a bid for the game, as well as other locations such as Charleston (which I would love).

I just hope they don't try and put the game in a 50,000 seat stadium. Nothing worse then seeing 20,000 empty seats on national TV.

elon77
October 28th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I wouldnt want it in boone... be too damn cold... no travel options in or out... not enough hotels available with ski season... plus lets go to orlando!

JUST KIDDING. I have worked at a ski lodge in the Boone area in December and January. It is warmer in Alaska than it is Boone during those months.
coldest damn place I have ever been.

Saint3333
October 28th, 2008, 11:22 AM

The FBS folks would call it the "Mickey Mouse" championship... not a good idea.

Ronbo
October 28th, 2008, 11:26 AM

Don't they already? You can't gain any respect from them. You may as well get the big sponsor and money for the schools.xnodx

BgJag
October 28th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Baton Rouge?

which stadium???xcoffeex

Gordon Shumway
October 28th, 2008, 11:28 AM

In Orlando:

Citrus Bowl = 65K normal configuration, but can seat 70K.

Brighthouse = 45K

Grizzaholic
October 28th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I skipped the entire thread after reading the article. What a bad idea. Something that is really nice about the FCS championship game is that is right after the playoffs, not 3 weeks of sitting around.

danefan
October 28th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Mobile's Ladd-Peebles Stadium could be a good spot:
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=p3bynz7nt9zf&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=23518448&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Anybody ever been to a game there?

smcwildcat
October 28th, 2008, 11:55 AM
could this lead to possible conference championship games??
I think that could be great

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 11:57 AM

CAA championship game would be great! xnodx

danefan
October 28th, 2008, 12:08 PM

What about SWAC participation also?

going from 20 to 24 teams changes nothing logistically. Add the SWAC and PFL as auto-bids also.

BDKJMU
October 28th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I think it's a no-brainer.
Positives:
+ Allows the retention of an 11 games with a bye schedule or a 12 game schedule, whereas not pushing it back would force 11 straight games without a bye.

+ Allows extra time to arrange travel, especially for students in the middle of exam season, though I can see why folks in Boone might not like the loss of their advantage.

No Change:
= Yeah, the broadcast will spend a lot of time talking about the BCS Championship. I'd rather hear about that than the Heisman, or the entire bowl lineup coming up on ESPN.

Negatives:
- None that I can see.

Actually some years like this year it would allow a 12 game schedule with 1 bye or an 11 game schedule with 2 byes.

Retro
October 28th, 2008, 12:41 PM
MOBILE, AL....

OK, I am a little bias as i grew up in south alabama, and i have been to many senior bowls and other games there, but here is what you have....

A recently renovated 40,000 + seat stadium which currently hosts the GMAC bowl (late december), Senior Bowl (late january, week before super bowl) some swac/meac games and many high school games.. New sprint turf field.

TV Benefit: Playing game night or two before BCS games even if on weeknight is good because will not conflict with NFL game. Classes are out. Christmas and New years over, so no holiday travel issues. Also does not conflict regular network prime time programming as that is the lull time when major networks show reruns and specials..

Travel: Mobile has major aiport, Boat port (cruise line), amtrack, interstate 10 and 65 running through it.. Plenty of hotels, places to eat, shop.. (Best shopping is actually across mobile bay in baldwin county).

Weather: Although fairly cold in january and sometimes wet, you want to see the 2 best teams play in the best conditions to see a great game not hampered by bitter cold and snow... That's the reason the NFL doesn't hold the super bowl in cold weather climates in outdoor stadiums. Also, people are more likely to travel to warm weather area so they can get out and enjoy local attractions and such...

BDKJMU
October 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM
This is just another strain on the players, who are students. The Griz played 16 games in 2001 and players had to reschedule final exams or have a professor's assistant administer the exam in the team bus, airplane or Chattanooga hotel conference room. This football season would run from August up through early January now? Expanding the playoffs from 16 to 20 is a stupid idea too.

This is all about $$$$$$$$. xnonono2x

It would be BETTER for academics now, as currently the 2 teams making the NC game often have football getting in the way of their exam week. With that 3.5 or so week break between the semis and the NC game maybe the NCAA could mandate that one of those weeks (the exam week) that the players be limited to no more than 20 weeks of manadatory football activities.

danefan
October 28th, 2008, 12:43 PM
MOBILE, AL....

OK, I am a little bias as i grew up in south alabama, and i have been to many senior bowls and other games there, but here is what you have....

A recently renovated 40,000 + seat stadium which currently hosts the GMAC bowl (late december), Senior Bowl (late january, week before super bowl) some swac/meac games and many high school games.. New sprint turf field.

TV Benefit: Playing game night or two before BCS games even if on weeknight is good because will not conflict with NFL game. Classes are out. Christmas and New years over, so no holiday travel issues. Also does not conflict regular network prime time programming as that is the lull time when major networks show reruns and specials..

Travel: Mobile has major aiport, Boat port (cruise line), amtrack, interstate 10 and 65 running through it.. Plenty of hotels, places to eat, shop.. (Best shopping is actually across mobile bay in baldwin county).

Weather: Although fairly cold in january and sometimes wet, you want to see the 2 best teams play in the best conditions to see a great game not hampered by bitter cold and snow... That's the reason the NFL doesn't hold the super bowl in cold weather climates in outdoor stadiums. Also, people are more likely to travel to warm weather area so they can get out and enjoy local attractions and such...

Mobile's Ladd-Peebles Stadium could be a great spot:
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=p3bynz7nt9zf&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=23518448&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

BDKJMU
October 28th, 2008, 12:46 PM

Heck, if JMU makes the NC game this yr and ASU doesn't, a lot of ASU fans will be calling it the Mickey Mouse championship. :p

BDKJMU
October 28th, 2008, 12:50 PM
MOBILE, AL....

Isn't Mobile the location for USA? I know USA starts their football play in 09' or 10'? Thats the job Mickey Matthews almost took last winter.

AZGrizFan
October 28th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Frozen tundra, Gorgeous venue, Potential for "Classic" football weather. Yes, not only do we use a playoff system and do it the right way, the fans who come to our championship are TRUE FOOTBALL FANS who love the bone crushing, snow falling, blistery weather surrounded by great scenery, grilling and ample booze to keep warm. Yes my friends, a sold out Griz Stadium for a National Championship would be a place where dreams come to life! xnodx

Now if the Griz make it to the NC Title game, we may have to move the location to, say... London! xlolx xrotatehx

Ursus? Is that you? ;)

colorless raider
October 28th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I am with Jackman on this. If played correctly the media might tie the two games together as a double header type deal and we could end up getting more publicity.

FCS Go!
October 28th, 2008, 01:28 PM
MOBILE, AL....

I think you meant to say they have an "airport". Right now flight from Dulles to Mobile $336. Dulles to Orlando $180. Dulles to Chatty $400. No advantage there.

Mobile is way out of the way for anyone to drive (Chatty in parantheses). Washington DC to Mobile 967 miles (597). Boone to Mobile 628 miles (271). Boston to Mobile 1432 miles (1031). Carbondale to Mobile 653 miles(341).

How many schools/fans are closer to Mobile than to Chatty?

Right now most FCS students can get in a car and drive to the NC Friday morning. Move the game to the periphery of the continental U.S. and you run the risk of limiting ticket buyers to locals or folks with the $ and time to take a mini-vacation. Oh, and players families.

FargoBison
October 28th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Let me see, play the game on the eve of the FBS title game instead of the eve of the DII and DIII title games, provides teams with more flexibility in scheduling regular season games, provides players with time to recoup and catch up on classwork before the title game, and provides fans the opportunity to have more time in making travel arrangements. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

19Duke97
October 28th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I think you meant to say they have an "airport". Right now flight from Dulles to Mobile $336. Dulles to Orlando $180. Dulles to Chatty $400. No advantage there.

Mobile is way out of the way for anyone to drive (Chatty in parantheses). Washington DC to Mobile 967 miles (597). Boone to Mobile 628 miles (271). Boston to Mobile 1432 miles (1031). Carbondale to Mobile 653 miles(341).

Right now most FCS students can get in a car and drive to the NC Friday morning. Move the game to the periphery of the continental U.S. and you run the risk of limiting ticket buyers to locals or folks with the $ and time to take a mini-vacation. Oh, and players families.

Given those costs and mileage, I don't see much of a difference unless you live in NC (maybe Virginia - which I do), but most may just bite the bullet and fly. Remember 21 days out you will get better costs on airlines than the 6 days for certain. I like the idea of pushing it back to help the students, and overall planning for everyone involved. xthumbsupx

bkrownd
October 28th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Uh, who's paying attention right now?

The big December gap has always been annoying since the old glory days of the real bowls, before college football degraded into faux-NFL crap.

In an ideal world they could compress and move the season up a bit and have a Thanksgiving final-4. In Omaha, baby! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

bkrownd
October 28th, 2008, 02:15 PM

I absolutely HATE conference "championship" games. A championship should be won in the long march through the regular season.

Retro
October 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Like someone said, with more of a gap between games rates will be better for flying.. Mobile is a 7 hour drive from Houston, 5 hours to atlanta and a full day's drive for most other eastern teams at the most..

That being said a big sky team or one from upper new england will have to fly anyway, so there is no disadvantage..

Plus the travel issue doesn't seem to affect any BCS/FBS teams in their games, so why would it be any harder for FCS fans? You also make it sound like the majority of an FCS traveling fans witll be students, which is not the case at all!

kirkblitz
October 28th, 2008, 02:39 PM
The game cant be held in South Carolina because the ncaa wont allow it since the NAACP is still boycotting us for loving our heritage.

813Jag
October 28th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Baton Rouge?

xlolx xlolx xlolx

813Jag
October 28th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Daytona, FL (use the speedway for something good! xlolx xlolx xlolx )
Betune-Cookman host school.

Jacksonville, FL - Jacksonville Dolphins hosting

Tallahassee, FL - FAMU host (at FSU)

How about Tx or LA schools hosting?

A major cudos to the current arrangement is that a FCS school hosts. Unfortunately, not many of the FCS schools are in the deep south. Or if they are, the stadiums are smaller.

Jackson St. stadium may be a good site?
The weather in these areas aren't that good in December/Janurary

appfan2008
October 28th, 2008, 02:44 PM
ORLANDO and I am sticking to it!!!

813Jag
October 28th, 2008, 02:44 PM

UCF seats about 45K
Citrus Bowl about 70K
Ladd Peeples about 45K

813Jag
October 28th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Mobile's Ladd-Peebles Stadium could be a good spot:

Anybody ever been to a game there?
I've been but I haven't been there since they renovated. It's an OK stadium.

EmeryZach
October 28th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Completely agree with that statement. xthumbsupx

kirkblitz
October 28th, 2008, 02:51 PM
DISNEY WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.mpimages.net/dlr/compressed/Disneyland/Special_Events/50th%20Anniversary/50thCastle500-Disney.jpg

Big Dawg
October 28th, 2008, 03:00 PM

Yep!!!

mainejeff
October 28th, 2008, 03:09 PM

Like it gets a lot anyway on a Friday night before Christmas? xconfusedx

mainejeff
October 28th, 2008, 03:11 PM
The weather in these areas aren't that good in December/Janurary

You're worried about January weather in Florida??? Is this football? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Big Dawg
October 28th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Playing the night before the BCS championship game could actually be a good thing. Since ESPN doesn't carry the BCS bowl games then the FCS National Championship could actually land on ESPN(not ESPN2) or ABC...possibly.

woffordgrad94
October 28th, 2008, 04:34 PM
This could bring more exposure to FCS. People will watch the FCS final game as an appetizer to the big BCS championship! I just hope we're not on at the same time as some big bowl game.

DSUrocks07
October 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM
This could bring more exposure to FCS. People will watch the FCS final game as an appetizer to the big BCS championship! I just hope we're not on at the same time as some big bowl game.

Usually the BCS title game is a week after the other BCS bowls.
And the other two (the International Bowl and the "whachamacallit" Bowl <-- forget the name) are in the middle of the week.

Make it on a Saturday night every year (at 7:00pm) and I'm sold xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
October 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM
SUPPLEMENT NO. 11
DI Presidential Advisory Group 10/08

REPORT OF THE NCAA DIVISION I FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP COMMITTEE

1. ACTION ITEMS. [Note: Items were reviewed by the Division I Championships/Sport Management Cabinet.]

Championship Date Formula.

(1) Recommendation. That the date formula for the NCAA Division I Football Championship be amended so that the championship game occurs annually during a window between December 29 and the day before the BCS National Championship game.

(2) Rationale. In April, funds were approved to support the Cabinet’s recommendation to expand the football championship bracket from 16 to 20 teams in 2010. This expansion requires an additional week of competition in the championship bracket. The football championship committee believes that modifying the championship date formula in this manner is the best way to accommodate bracket expansion. The alternatives were to begin the regular season one week earlier (significant cost to all FCS institutions) or eliminate the regular season bye week (student-athlete welfare and scheduling concerns).

ESPN has communicated to the NCAA that for the 2010 championship a primetime broadcast window on ESPN2 will be available the night before the BCS national championship game (e.g., Wednesday, January 5, 2011). The committee understands that this broadcast window may not be available in future years and is prepared to work with ESPN to find an appropriate window on an ESPN network between the dates of December 29 and the day before the BCS National Championship game. Such schedule variability is not unlike many postseason bowl games that occur during this time of year and the committee is comfortable it can be managed appropriately. Below is a tentative schedule for the 2010 championship, compared to the 2008 championship schedule:

First Round
11/29 ESPNU – Noon
Quarterfinals
12/6 ESPN360/Syndication (all sites)
Semifinals
12/12 ESPN2 – 8 PM
12/13 ESPN – 4 PM
Final
12/19 ESPN2

2010-11
Opening Round
11/27 ESPN – 3:30
11/27 ESPNU – 3:30
First Round
12/4 None
Quarterfinals
12/10 ESPN2 - 8 PM
12/11 ESPN – Noon
12/11 ESPNU – 11AM
Semifinals
12/17 ESPN2 – 8 PM
12/18 ESPNU – 11 AM
Final
8 PM January 5 ESPN2 - Primetime

(3) Estimated Budget Impact. Because of the amount of time between the semifinals and the championship game, there are likely to be costs to the institutions of the two teams participating in the championship game should they decide to keep their student-athletes on campus during any portion of the holiday break. The committee will continue to study this issue over the next two years and it will recommend the allocation of additional funds in the next budget cycle to help offset these costs.

(4) Student-Athlete Impact. While the recommended date formula ensures student-athletes will have a bye-week during the regular season and affords more time for physical recovery before the championship game, student-athletes on the two teams participating in the championship game are likely to have a reduced holiday break as they prepare for the championship game on campus.

2. INFORMATIONAL ITEM. This report was forwarded to the Division I Championships/Sport Management Cabinet for review and consideration. The Cabinet’s Administrative Committee reviewed the report and the “administrative committee, acting on behalf of the full cabinet, approved a recommendation from the Football Championship Committee related to the date for the FCS championship game. Specifically, the date formula for the championship game was modified so that the game occurs annually during a window between December 29 and the day before the BCS National Championship game.

Committee Chair: John McCutcheon, University of Massachusetts, Amherst; Staff Liaison(s): Dennis Poppe, Baseball/Football; Damani Leech, Baseball/Football

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/DI_MC_BOD/Presidential_Advisory_Group/2008/11,%20PAG,%20Date%20Formula%20Recommendation.pdf

danefan
October 28th, 2008, 04:48 PM
So essentially it will be up in the air as to what date it will occur each year. Sometime between December 29th and the BCS championship game.

That's not great, but its not horrible either.

The positive is in 2010 you are greatly expanding the FCS national TV coverage, including giving two teams a game on ESPN on November 27th. This opening round game is likely to be teams from lower-ranked conferences (NEC, MEAC, PL, etc...) who in the past wouldn't dream of getting an ESPN game. That will do wonders for recruiting for these conferences. That's huge, IMO.

Syntax Error
October 28th, 2008, 04:54 PM
The proposal of moving the champ game into the post-Xmas bowl season is pretty impressive. Congrats to the NCAA and the efforts of everyone involved. That includes members here at AGS.

AppAlum96
October 28th, 2008, 04:55 PM

I agree. ESPN is loathe to talk about the game being played on the field as it is, when there's little else going on. If it is the eve of the B(C)S title game, our championship will be little more than a backdrop for them to drone on and on about the B(C)S.

danefan
October 28th, 2008, 04:56 PM
The proposal of moving the champ game into the post-Xmas bowl season is pretty impressive. Congrats to the NCAA and the efforts of everyone involved. That includes members here at AGS.

I agree, that is something that not many people thought would happen with ESPN providing the most opposition. But instead they somehow got ESPN to agree to it and to also expand its coverage. That's great, IMO.

Why, though, would the NC game be on ESPN2? What would be on ESPN that night? Probably a BCS preview or something?

DSUrocks07
October 28th, 2008, 04:59 PM
So essentially it will be up in the air as to what date it will occur each year. Sometime between December 29th and the BCS championship game.

That's not great, but its not horrible either.

The positive is in 2010 you are greatly expanding the FCS national TV coverage, including giving two teams a game on ESPN on November 27th. This opening round game is likely to be teams from lower-ranked conferences (NEC, MEAC, PL, etc...) who in the past wouldn't dream of getting an ESPN game. That will do wonders for recruiting for these conferences. That's huge, IMO.

Its not horrible but it is a cause for concern...

December 29th would put it before all of the BCS games (Jan. 1 - Jan. 3), and in league with the "legendary" Roady's Humanitarian Bowl xnonono2x

If the NCAA wants to have their BCS "national championship" to have any legitimacy. They would treat it as such and have the FCS game lead into it. xnodx xnodx

Syntax Error
October 28th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Have to think the NCAA is flexing the muscle of the "NCAA DIVISION I FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME" as opposed to the BCS championship game (not an NCAA championship).

AppAlum96
October 28th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Someone mentioned moving it to San Diego?

I would love that, as a SD resident. However, all we gots is Qualcomm stadium. What are the chances the NC game would fill 67000 seats way over here in CA?

Monarch History
October 28th, 2008, 05:13 PM
1. Move it to Orlando.
2. Get it passed.
xnodx xnodx xnodx

Syntax Error
October 28th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I don't see where they are discussing physically moving the game. Don't limit the game to those who can afford flying. The "epicenter" of champ game teams is almost exactly Chatty.

yosef1969
October 28th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I don't see where they are discussing physically moving the game. Don't limit the game to those who can afford flying. The "epicenter" of champ game teams is almost exactly Chatty.

With Chattanooga being where it is I think most folks are thinking that a game that time of year could bring about issues with weather. Wouldn't want to have an issue with snow, sleet or freezing rain hindering fans from traveling to game. Not saying that's a real issue but I think it is something to consider.

mainejeff
October 28th, 2008, 05:49 PM
1. Move it to Orlando.
2. Get it passed.
xnodx xnodx xnodx

Agreed.

danefan
October 28th, 2008, 05:49 PM

Its pretty clear in the article that they are shopping for a site. They say they are looking into warm weather climates and/or indoor facilities.

Syntax Error
October 28th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Its pretty clear in the article that they are shopping for a site. They say they are looking into warm weather climates and/or indoor facilities.Well, "Yeager said the NCAA would study warm-weather and indoor possibilities." Is the CAA commish on the committee or is he/O'Conner pushing an agenda they want? Without a quote I wonder.

apppackdad
October 28th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Late December/ Early January in Chattanooga is iffy at best. That's why I suggested a more hospitable climate. Also putting the FCS Championship up against the really minor bowl games seems attractive. I tried to think of appropriately sized stadiums that could offer a good atmosphere. At some point we all need to make some concession to our western bretheren who are somewhat unduly burdened by the travel issues. Norhteastern region schools would not see a significant burden going a little farther south, given the benefit of better weather.A community that would embrace the game ,as Chattanooga has tried to do, would be a plus.

GOKATS
October 28th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Vegas, Baby!!! It'd be great!!

Syntax Error
October 28th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Late December/ Early January in Chattanooga is iffy at best. That's why I suggested a more hospitable climate. Also putting the FCS Championship up against the really minor bowl games seems attractive. I tried to think of appropriately sized stadiums that could offer a good atmosphere. At some point we all need to make some concession to our western bretheran who are sonewhat unduly burdened by the travel issues. Norhteastern region schools would not see a significant burden going a little farther south, given the benefit of better weather.A community that would embrace the game ,as Chattanooga has tried to do, would be a plus.That community outside Chatty has not emerged in years of looking.

Western teams unduly burdened? They have to fly either way. The game out west has been done many times and was not successful.

Not an extra burden on NE teams? Chatty is 7.5 hours, Orlando is 12.5 hours from James Madison... and they are not very northeast.

Those carloads of students that we saw roll in would be much fewer.

yosef1969
October 28th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Vegas, Baby!!! It'd be great!!

Problem with a place like Vegas, or Orlando for that matter, is that the game would be an after thought. Too much other stuff going on and the town itself would be indifferent.

That's why it works in Chatty or would in Charleston. The city gets behind it because they see the value.

PantherRob82
October 28th, 2008, 06:08 PM
This would be awesome. Let's get warmer!

Sundown
October 28th, 2008, 06:15 PM
SUPPLEMENT NO. 11
DI Presidential Advisory Group 10/08

REPORT OF THE NCAA DIVISION I FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP COMMITTEE

(3) Estimated Budget Impact. Because of the amount of time between the semifinals and the championship game, there are likely to be costs to the institutions of the two teams participating in the championship game should they decide to keep their student-athletes on campus during any portion of the holiday break. The committee will continue to study this issue over the next two years and it will recommend the allocation of additional funds in the next budget cycle to help offset these costs.

That takes care of my major concern. xcoffeex

Although the retard-babel of the ESPN announcers on the eve of the BCS/Heisman hoopla is also a minor concern. xnonono2x

813Jag
October 28th, 2008, 06:39 PM
You're worried about January weather in Florida??? Is this football? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx
when compared to orlando the weather isn't ideal. if the goal is to draw folks you want the weather to be as pleasant as can be. besides tallahasse (no offense big dawg) and jacksonville are ideal destinations.

adrianb
October 28th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Move the game to Charlotte's Memorial Stadium. Appoint Humpy Wheeler to promote it. It would be awesome. Humpy would bring in skydivers, stunt drivers, and a giant monster truck eating robotic dragon, and then they could play the football game.

SwacFans
October 28th, 2008, 06:44 PM
They need to move back the start of the whole playoffs anyway

PantherRob82
October 28th, 2008, 06:52 PM
They need to move back the start of the whole playoffs anyway

Why? SWAC champ still couldn't play. xcoffeex

SwacFans
October 28th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Why? SWAC champ still couldn't play. xcoffeex

Whose to say how much longer that game will be around? How do we know that date of the game won't change?

PantherRob82
October 28th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Whose to say how much longer that game will be around? How do we know that date of the game won't change?

As long as there is a SWAC championship, the SWAC champ can't play.

Grizzaholic
October 28th, 2008, 07:17 PM
That takes care of my major concern. xcoffeex

Although the retard-babel of the ESPN announcers on the eve of the BCS/Heisman hoopla is also a minor concern. xnonono2x

This is the best point so far.

Would the announcers actually talk about the game or would they babble constantly about the BCS game the whole time.

FargoBison
October 28th, 2008, 07:22 PM
This is the best point so far.

Would the announcers actually talk about the game or would they babble constantly about the BCS game the whole time.

Do they actually talk about the game as it is now? There are award shows and bowls that ESPN needs to be hyping because they are covering them.

Grizzaholic
October 28th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Do they actually talk about the game as it is now? There are award shows and bowls that ESPN needs to be hyping because they are covering them.

True, True. They do babble about the BCS every year. Maybe if the announcers were from FCS schools we as fans wouldn't be punished by listenting to crap during our title game.

FargoBison
October 28th, 2008, 07:31 PM
True, True. They do babble about the BCS every year. Maybe if the announcers were from FCS schools we as fans wouldn't be punished by listenting to crap during our title game.

That would be great, but I doubt ESPN would ever go that far. Honestly, I'm surprised they even allowed the game to be to begin with.

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Florida. Everyone goes to Florida because their grandparents live there and they went to Disney when they were in eighth grade. It's comfortable, and the flights are cheap and plentiful from everywhere.

Las Vegas. Everyone has been there or wants to go. Flights are cheap and plentiful from everywhere. They'll even pay you to fly there. Vegas loves a spectacle. Imagine the action on two colleges that no one regularly bets on - right in their back yard.

igo4uni
October 28th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Play it in the fabulous UNI-Dome.

Appstate29
October 28th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Florida. Everyone goes to Florida because their grandparents live there and they went to Disney when they were in eighth grade. It's comfortable, and the flights are cheap and plentiful from everywhere.

Las Vegas. Everyone has been there or wants to go. Flights are cheap and plentiful from everywhere. They'll even pay you to fly there. Vegas loves a spectacle. Imagine the action on two colleges that no one regularly bets on - right in their back yard.

I'll take Florida, that would be a sweet one, give FCS fans from a big school (ASU,GSU,UD,UM, JMU) time to plan their trip, could get upwards of 40-50k

kirkblitz
October 28th, 2008, 09:40 PM
http://www.poster.net/disney-walt/disney-walt-mickey-mouse-face-4900888.jpg

Keeper
October 28th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Yesssssssss.

The Disney Bowl!

Sundown
October 28th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Florida. Everyone goes to Florida because their grandparents live there...

Lolz!

I do loves me some Vegas, though.

Retro
October 28th, 2008, 11:09 PM
You really don't want it in the citrus bowl, because it's highly unlikely to sell 60,000 tickets.. a 30,000 to 40,000 seat stadium would look much better on tv and easier to fill with the right teams..

The amount of any schools students attending the game is largely exaggerated by some of you! Even so, if their parents can afford them to go to school, they can pay for their trip to the champ game wherever it is.

The 2 times mcneese went, i would bet the amount of current students at the game was about 500 out of some 10,000 mcneese fans... It may be more for the teams within a a few hours of the game especially an App St, but if they want to go, people will find a way... Most of the people going are always alumni, business supporters and hardcore fans that are not necessarily graduates..

That being said, even if the amount of students from any one school was 3,000 or so regardless of the team, what makes you think it's such a burden on them? It doesn't seem to be an issue with FBS teams going to bowl games 1000's of miles away? It's like you assume an FCS student has less money or options than does a FBS student... When in fact the tickets and hotel to an FBS Bowl Game are usually a lot higher!

GSUISBACK
October 28th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Now we need to work on getting a payout for the game say 500k - 1m +

fantheflames71
October 28th, 2008, 11:45 PM
That being said, even if the amount of students from any one school was 3,000 or so regardless of the team, what makes you think it's such a burden on them? It doesn't seem to be an issue with FBS teams going to bowl games 1000's of miles away? It's like you assume an FCS student has less money or options than does a FBS student... When in fact the tickets and hotel to an FBS Bowl Game are usually a lot higher!

The problem isnt that FCS students have less money than FBS students for a bowl game. The problem is that the majority of students at FCS schools root for their school and an FBS team. For some reason or another they view FCS as the lesser league, and theyd be willing to spend money to go to an FBS football game, but not quite as much for an FCS game.

Big Dawg
October 28th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I'll take Florida, that would be a sweet one, give FCS fans from a big school (ASU,GSU,UD,UM, JMU) time to plan their trip, could get upwards of 40-50k

And if they are playing against FAMU it might look ike the BCS National Title game...:D

chattanoogamocs
October 29th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Chattanooga Times Free Press article:

FCS final will move to January
http://timesfreepress.com/news/2008/oct/29/chattanooga-fcs-final-will-move-january/

Here is the pertinent part of the article (in my opinion):

“The thing that we absolutely wanted to avoid (playing around Christmas), we avoided,” Sports Committee president Merrill Eckstein said. “One of the advantages would be a ‘National Championship Week,’ if ESPN promoted it that way. It could end up giving us a heck of a national TV audience and we could do well at the gate as well.

“The reaction here would be, let’s go do it in 2010 and see what happens.”

Chattanooga has a contract to host the game this year and in 2009, as well as an exclusive negotiating window to host the game the next two years. Eckstein said in the past the committee has always opted for a two-year contract, but because the move to late December or early January would be such a dramatic change, he would consider a one-year deal for 2010 to see how it goes before committing to anything beyond that.

“We love having the game in Chattanooga,” Leech said, “and we want the game to stay in Chattanooga.”

CamelCityAppFan
October 29th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Move the time of the game to January? Worst. Idea. Ever.

You're likely to decrease TV audience rather than increase. By the eve of the BCS game, people are suffereing from bowl fatigue. There's just been 3 weeks of the Brillo Pad Bowl, the Brake Pad Bowl, and the Maxi Pad Bowl. People will tune in for the BCS game because, well, it's the BCS game. But for most folks without a dog in the fight the FCS champ game will become yet another meaningless game in a 3 week stretch involving teams they don't really care about.

With the game in mid-December, there is the opportunity catch casual fans prior to the grind of the endless series of crappy bowl games. It's also, IMO, kinda cool to be part of the NCAA football championship weekend, with the lower divisions' football champ games all on the same weekend. Plus, there's no other college football going on that weekend, and college basketball hasn't gotten cranked up yet.

As far as location-- Chattanooga has been a good host and has made an investment in the game, so I don't see a need to move the game. But moving the game's location wouldn't have the same negative impact as shifting the date.

ASU
October 29th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Charlotte ...... and use Bank of America (Panther) stadium......If you didn't sell it out you could put everyone on one side or both the sides. With all the talk about people would go if they could get tickets would be over. Normally nice weather at that time of year....even if it is cool....that is football weather. That way schools from the entire East coast could drive to the game, not like trying to get the whole family to drive to Florida.

Eaglegus2
October 29th, 2008, 08:47 AM

The BCS game may be some focus but the BCS Championship game will be on another station.

I like the idea of Charleston or Orlando host the FCS Championship game. Playing the game before the BCS would be a plus. Orlando has many airlines that fly into Orlando as direct flights. Also, there are lots of activities in central Florida that will make the event more eventful.

danefan
October 29th, 2008, 09:23 AM
From the other thread on this topic that was just started:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=3669824

"ESPN came back to us with a very intriguing offer," Fullerton said. "They want to hold the championship the night before the (Bowl Championship Subdivision) championship," and offered more television coverage of other playoff games.

I find it very intriguing that ESPN was the one who came up with this idea. Maybe they are really interested in making that week championship week and pushing more attention on the game?

spoogemcgee18
October 29th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! What a terrible idea on so many levels.

This way, it's going to replicate kind of a bowl experience, Yeager said.

I think the FCS should be trying to do everything in its power to distance and distinguish itself from anything "Bowl" related. Besides, the FCS is not about playing cushy warm weather/indoor big television games. It is about getting together on a brisk December night and playing football the way it ought to be played.

Additionally, this would destroy the whole essence of the playoffs. What if the NCAA Bball tournament waited a month after the final four to play the final? What if the MLB waited a month after the league series to play the world series? Time and time again you hear FBS coaches gripe about the layover time leading up to a bowl game and how negatively it affects their players. Teams that are hot in December are in danger of losing it come January.

appfan2008
October 29th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! What a terrible idea on so many levels.

I think the FCS should be trying to do everything in its power to distance and distinguish itself from anything "Bowl" related. Besides, the FCS is not about playing cushy warm weather/indoor big television games. It is about getting together on a brisk December night and playing football the way it ought to be played.

Additionally, this would destroy the whole essence of the playoffs. What if the NCAA Bball tournament waited a month after the final four to play the final? What if the MLB waited a month after the league series to play the world series? Time and time again you hear FBS coaches gripe about the layover time leading up to a bowl game and how negatively it affects their players. Teams that are hot in December are in danger of losing it come January.

what is wrong with you guys... if they didnt move it to january there would never be a buy week and the players would have the potential of playing 16 straight weeks!... also traveling for all of us non app state people is very difficult in 5 days and this would help attendance in non asu years greatly!!!... this is a win win for everyone involved especially if we can get it moved to orlando!!!

never would they move it to charlotte nor should they terrible idea...

bluehenbillk
October 29th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Move the time of the game to January? Worst. Idea. Ever.

You're likely to decrease TV audience rather than increase. By the eve of the BCS game, people are suffereing from bowl fatigue. There's just been 3 weeks of the Brillo Pad Bowl, the Brake Pad Bowl, and the Maxi Pad Bowl. People will tune in for the BCS game because, well, it's the BCS game. But for most folks without a dog in the fight the FCS champ game will become yet another meaningless game in a 3 week stretch involving teams they don't really care about.

With the game in mid-December, there is the opportunity catch casual fans prior to the grind of the endless series of crappy bowl games. It's also, IMO, kinda cool to be part of the NCAA football championship weekend, with the lower divisions' football champ games all on the same weekend. Plus, there's no other college football going on that weekend, and college basketball hasn't gotten cranked up yet.

As far as location-- Chattanooga has been a good host and has made an investment in the game, so I don't see a need to move the game. But moving the game's location wouldn't have the same negative impact as shifting the date.

I agree with not liking the move to January. To put it in perspective the International Bowl in Toronto, Mac vs Big East, will get as much or more attention. People are tired by then & just looking forward to the BCS NC game.

bluehenbillk
October 29th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Here's a CRAZY idea. Move the game to the site of the BCS championship game & play it the day before? All the national media will be there, likely to get a MUCH bigger crowd too.....

uofmman1122
October 29th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Here's a CRAZY idea. Move the game to the site of the BCS championship game & play it the day before? All the national media will be there, likely to get a MUCH bigger crowd too.....That would never fly.

What with all the crap that's loaded into the BCS championship stadium for weeks and weeks....It's an interesting idea, but it'd be too much of a hassle for everyone.

CRAZY idea, indeed. xlolx:p

danefan
October 29th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Here's a CRAZY idea. Move the game to the site of the BCS championship game & play it the day before? All the national media will be there, likely to get a MUCH bigger crowd too.....

It won't happen because of the disconnect between the NCAA and the BCS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NCAA doesn't have much to do with the BCS championship game.

bluehenbillk
October 29th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NCAA doesn't have much to do with the BCS championship game.

Correct, it has zero to do with the BCS.

EmeryZach
October 29th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Where would we all stay if they moved it to the same site as the BCS Championship? I'd like the game to be very far away, like my pick, Orlando.

bluehenbillk
October 29th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Where would we all stay if they moved it to the same sight as the BCS Championship? I'd like the game to be very far away, like my pick, Orlando.

Hmm Los Angeles, Miami, Phoenix, New Orleans, not exactly a shortage of hotel rooms compared to Chatty.....

Syntax Error
October 29th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Hmm Los Angeles, Miami, Phoenix, New Orleans, not exactly a shortage of hotel rooms compared to Chatty.....
Have you ever been to Chatty? I've never had a problem getting a hotel room there.

89Hen
October 29th, 2008, 03:49 PM
And so begins the annual "move the game to a location where everyone would have to fly and to a city that wouldn't give a rats arse about it" debate. Like I said last year, until you've been to the game, your opinion of Chatty must be taken with a grain of salt. xpeacex

89Hen
October 29th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Las Vegas. They'll even pay you to fly there.
Got a wesite where I can book those? xcoffeex

DLS
October 29th, 2008, 03:53 PM
THIS IS THE WORST IDEA IMAGINABLE.

let me guess, the CAA heads think its a good opportunity. jesus.

Saint3333
October 29th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Have you ever been to Chatty? I've never had a problem getting a hotel room there.

For ASU's first trip in 2005 I waited to book a hotel in Chattanooga due to some superstitious believe I would jinx us. The only hotel I could find was a rundown no name hotel, worst hotel I've ever stayed in. If you don't book a hotel at least two weeks in advance they do run out. We didn't make that mistake in 2006.

Looks like only the SoCon and Big Sky voted no to this. The SoCon stated it takes away from the build up of the playoffs (IMO UTC wanted them to vote no to have a better shot at keeping it there), not sure why the Big Sky voted no.

ERASU2113
October 29th, 2008, 04:05 PM
And so begins the annual "move the game to a location where everyone would have to fly and to a city that wouldn't give a rats arse about it" debate. Like I said last year, until you've been to the game, your opinion of Chatty must be taken with a grain of salt. xpeacex

I've been the past three years and Chatty is a great place for a game IMO. Great atmosphere, great stadium, great city for the whole week of and the game.

For the people that say "find a place where you have to fly," there's no "perfect" place. You always have one team that can drive and sometimes both.
I mean JMU, ASU, and maybe Delaware drove to the game. Correct me I'm wrong of course. Northern Iowa in 2005 didn't fly (once again not 100% sure).
There's always going to be a school that's within driving distance and has a strong fan base - yes I'm referring to ASU. UMass didn't have a strong fan showing there but from what I was told in the press box, they just don't travel well.
The date I don't think really matters. The eve of the BCS game has both positive and negatives IMO. I mean yes the bigger division will be playing the night after...so who's really paying attention? Would people not be burned out from countless bowl games that when the chance to watch a smaller "bowl" or "division' plays near the end? But wouldn't putting in that time frame give more exposure to the FCS? However, the only way you could help the FCS if it's a close game - not a blowout.

813Jag
October 29th, 2008, 05:14 PM
New Orleans would be crazy when the Sugar Bowl hosts the BCS game.

kirkblitz
October 29th, 2008, 06:32 PM
beads!!!!

Maroon&White
October 29th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I mean JMU, ASU, and maybe Delaware drove to the game. Correct me I'm wrong of course.

I hope UD didn't drive almost 12 hrs to the game xeekx

Big Cats
October 29th, 2008, 08:49 PM
What about the AlamoDome in San Antonio? It seats around 65,000 but if they closed off the upper deck I think it's around 40,000. Great venue and a great city to host.

PhoenixSupreme
October 29th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Having the FCS title game before the FBS title game would be great in garnering publicity for the FCS schools in terms of fans and for potential recruits. It would be great to show both how intense FCS football can be.

Also, it seems that having the GMAC bowl before the national title game has been great in getting publicity out for the MAC and Conf-USA schools, and so the idea does work. I would like to see how this FCS title game move idea plays out.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 29th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I think ESPN would just gloss over the FCS game and talk about the "Big Game" tomorrow at half time and drive me even crazier.

PhoenixSupreme
October 29th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I've been the past three years and Chatty is a great place for a game IMO. Great atmosphere, great stadium, great city for the whole week of and the game.

I went to Chattanooga as part of the Elon pep band for the B-ball SoCon tournament in 2005, and I must say that I liked the game atmosphere of the city as well. There seems to be plenty to do around outside the town for a week as well as inside, and while I have never been to the football stadium, I definitely feel that Chatty has a great atmosphere for a championship game. I have some fond memories of my trip there.

Syntax Error
October 30th, 2008, 01:11 PM
... I mean JMU, ASU, and maybe Delaware drove to the game. Correct me I'm wrong of course. Northern Iowa in 2005 didn't fly (once again not 100% sure)... UMass...All of them had fans that drove. xnodx

appfan2008
October 30th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I went to Chattanooga as part of the Elon pep band for the B-ball SoCon tournament in 2005, and I must say that I liked the game atmosphere of the city as well. There seems to be plenty to do around outside the town for a week as well as inside, and while I have never been to the football stadium, I definitely feel that Chatty has a great atmosphere for a championship game. I have some fond memories of my trip there.

I was in the app pep band for that same socon bball tourney had a great time...

JDC325
October 30th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Have it on the SATURDAY before the BCS title game after finals are over in a warmer weather spot like Jacksonville. Local Chatt folks do not come to the game and the weather allways seems to suck.

EmeryZach
October 30th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I hope UD didn't drive almost 12 hrs to the game xeekx

I drove 18 hours from Massachusetts. It wasn't that bad. I have Sirius Radio so I just listened to Howard Stern the whole way there and back.

mikebigg
October 30th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I don't know how many weeks separate the semi-finals and the finals, but if it's two weeks or more... that allows time for all teams to finish their regular season and any conference championship.

I know this favors the SWAC...but it also favors the MEAC who has mentioned possible expansion. Potentially it benefits any FCS conference that might want to look as expansion and having two divisions. Just a thought.

But even those that don't want an extra "conference" championship game... I think two bye weeks between the regular season and the playoffs would be better than taking a break once the playoffs have begun. My 2 cents!

BDKJMU
October 30th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Usually the BCS title game is a week after the other BCS bowls.
And the other two (the International Bowl and the "whachamacallit" Bowl <-- forget the name) are in the middle of the week.

Make it on a Saturday night every year (at 7:00pm) and I'm sold xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

3-7 days as the other 3 BCS title games are on the 1st, 1st, 2nd, and 5th, and the title game is on the 8th.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3444571

BDKJMU
October 30th, 2008, 03:34 PM

Depends on what your definition of "cheap" is. Airfare is 15-20% higher than it was a year+ ago as the airlines to cope with record high fuel prices (yes, I know they've plumeted in the last few months) have added on all kinds of fees, fuel surcharges, etc. They cut some capacity earlier in the year and have cut a good bit this fall, which = fuller planes which equals more expensive tickets.

Syntax Error
October 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM
... Local Chatt folks do not come to the game...The guy from the Chatty sports authority said: "Locals look forward to coming to the game. It is our marquee event. Our local ticket sales were up about 2,000 to 3,000 tickets this year. That number has grown every year for the last four years."

bluehenbillk
October 30th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I've never had a problem getting a hotel room there.

Well when you book in advance no problem. However, most people only book with a week or less before the game as soon as they know their team clinched.

BDKJMU
October 30th, 2008, 06:10 PM
The BCS game may be some focus but the BCS Championship game will be on another station.

I like the idea of Charleston or Orlando host the FCS Championship game. Playing the game before the BCS would be a plus. Orlando has many airlines that fly into Orlando as direct flights. Also, there are lots of activities in central Florida that will make the event more eventful.

Charleston is a no go due to the linguine spined NCAA boycott after bowing down to the altar of PC and the NAACP.

Boca Raton sounds PERFECT.
-1st year of the NC game with the new date 2010 season/eve of 2011 title game. Notice the article in the Chattanooga paper said Chatty "has a contract to host the game this year and in 2009, as well as an exclusive negotiating window to host the game the next two years." That means it could be moved somewhere else in 2010. FAU 30k state of the art stadium slated to open 2010 season.
-30k is PERFECT. Not too big, as I think some of the 40k-70k options that have been mentioned so far are, and not too small, which I think a 20k stadium would be.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAU_Football_Stadium
-In addition to interstate, rail, and the Ports, you have 3 international airports within the vicinity, MIA, FLL and PBI, making this one of the most accessible areas of the country.
-Plenty of lodging (granted it could be pricey, as Boca Raton is now a S. FLA haven for the wealthy).
-The weather is about as good as your going to get in Jan in the US with the exception of Southern CA and maybe S. TX
-Plenty for the fans to do outside of the game such as the beaches, shopping (for the women), nightlife to maybe make it a several day trip for a lot of fans.

PantherRob82
October 30th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I don't know how many weeks separate the semi-finals and the finals, but if it's two weeks or more... that allows time for all teams to finish their regular season and any conference championship.

I know this favors the SWAC...but it also favors the MEAC who has mentioned possible expansion. Potentially it benefits any FCS conference that might want to look as expansion and having two divisions. Just a thought.

But even those that don't want an extra "conference" championship game... I think two bye weeks between the regular season and the playoffs would be better than taking a break once the playoffs have begun. My 2 cents!

You can't have a conf championship game and play in the playoffs.
Not just because of scheduling.

89rabbit
October 30th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Richmond Times Dispatch:
http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports/more.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-10-28-0070.html xthumbsupx xhypedx xhypedx xthumbsupx

Maroon&White
October 30th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I drove 18 hours from Massachusetts. It wasn't that bad. I have Sirius Radio so I just listened to Howard Stern the whole way there and back.

You driving yourself is not the same as an entire team busing it 12hrs.

Syntax Error
October 30th, 2008, 08:39 PM
xthumbsupx xhypedx xhypedx xthumbsupxWhat's so great playing on a Wednesday night?

madisonfan87
October 30th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I hope the game stays in December. I love being able to watch the game before Xmas that way if my team wins, I get a early present! Seriously though, it won't increase ratings if it is on the eve of the Bowl Championship.

mikebigg
October 31st, 2008, 08:27 AM
You can't have a conf championship game and play in the playoffs.
Not just because of scheduling.

I forgot about that bylaw item...thanks for the reminder. Personally, I wouldn't object to ending the conference championship game if that would allow the conference to participate in the playoffs. I think most students and players would prefer the playoffs.

McTailGator
November 9th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Thank God!

I've been saying something like this needs to happen for a while.

I say have it on the same field where ever the National championship game is going to be the very next night. That way the ESPN Crew is there and our fans could mingle with the BCS championship fans.

The bad part of that would be the Rose Bowl and Joe Robbie stadium are natural grass and a rain storm could screw up the grass for the next night.

My other idea would be to have it in downtown Houston in the new 23,000 Dynamo Stadium. Also the Volleyball, Soccer, and Tennis Championships could all occur within a 2 block radius over the same weekend in Houston between Minutemaid Stadium, the Toyota Center, and the George R Brown Convention Center.

Houston = cheap flights, and plenty of quality hotel rooms all in walking distance to the action.

McTailGator
November 9th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I hope the game stays in December. I love being able to watch the game before Xmas that way if my team wins, I get a early present! Seriously though, it won't increase ratings if it is on the eve of the Bowl Championship.

Now you can get Tickets to the game for Christmas

Yosef@therock
November 9th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I don't like the Jan Championship game. Last year during the App/Richmond game they did nothing put promote the Heisman candidates on a bus, playing video games, eating dinner. Who cares. Promote the Richmond/App State. I do wish they'd move from Chatty. They just can't fit all of us App fans into that stadium. Chatty is a nice town. The stadium is to small. App seats 30,000. If Chatty wants to host they need to add some seats. The NCAA needs to look for a 35,000 plus stadium.

McTailGator
November 9th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I don't like the Jan Championship game. Last year during the App/Richmond game they did nothing put promote the Heisman candidates on a bus, playing video games, eating dinner. Who cares. Promote the Richmond/App State. I do wish they'd move from Chatty. They just can't fit all of us App fans into that stadium. Chatty is a nice town. The stadium is to small. App seats 30,000. If Chatty wants to host they need to add some seats. The NCAA needs to look for a 35,000 plus stadium.

Taking a look at the average attendance since 1997, there is no need to have a larger stadium. Just raise the cost of tickets if the game is popular, and reward the teams with more $ for being there.

But a 23,000 seat stadium in a city the size of Houston and where airfare is cheap with 2 or 3 weeks notice could be a good thing. The Greater Houston Sports Authority could guarantee a sale out if the teams playing in the game couldn't sale their share of seats.

Houston is right in the middle of the Southland Coference. I'd bet a couple thousand SLC fans would be in attendance every year. Much more than the locals in Chatty.

Peems
November 9th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Two ADs voted against this: Jim O'Day and Charlie Cobb. It's about $ and keeping students around during the winter break will cost $$

Jackman
November 9th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Housing two teams' worth of players for a couple extra weeks doesn't cost squat compared to the entire subdivision losing the possibility of a 12 game schedule and making it more difficult to schedule FBS teams. Of course, Montana's AD wouldn't care about that, because they don't schedule FBS teams. A shorter schedule would conceivably increase the revenue gap between them and everyone else, though I'm not sure why they would want to cut themselves off from having 7 home games like they have this season. And App's AD obviously voted against it because the current situation is the next best thing to hosting the championship in their own stadium.

chattanoogamocs
November 9th, 2008, 10:58 PM

Just a technical point...

Kidd-Brewer does not "seat" 30,000. Grass does not count as seats.

And while we are talking about "seats", Finley Stadium (official capacity 20,668) still "seats" more than Kidd-Brewer (20,150) even after the latest expansion.

xreadx

(PS...this thread can go on as long as every likes, but the game isn't going anywhere for the next 2 years :))

Rob Iola
November 10th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Just a technical point...

Kidd-Brewer does not "seat" 30,000. Grass does not count as seats.

or as bedding...

How is Boone for hotel space? If [gasp] ASU is not in the game, then where would all of your out of town guests stay?

appfan2008
November 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM
or as bedding...

How is Boone for hotel space? If [gasp] ASU is not in the game, then where would all of your out of town guests stay?

would the game go on if app wasnt in it???