18. Lafayette 644
19. McNeese St. 618
20. Liberty 614
21. Northern Arizona 558
22. Harvard 427
23. South Carolina St. 395
24. Tennessee-Martin 239
25. South Dakota St. 151
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): North Dakota St. (33), Georgia Southern (31), Texas St. (27), Maine (26), Tennessee St. (20), Hampton (15), Jacksonville St. (11), Colgate (9), Prairie View A&M (6)

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Wofford
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Elon

TheBisonator
October 27th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Dammit!!! Just missed the cut.xoopsx

DB_Atlantic10
October 27th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Why should Villanova be under Richmond with a better Resume and the head to head..... I actually did not drop Villanova in the polls at #6 and had Richmond at #7.....

IaaScribe
October 27th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Weber still way too low.

dbackjon
October 27th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Weber still way too low.

Agreed. And McNeese is only in the poll based on reputation.

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Weber still way too low.

obviously one person thinks so...

WrenFGun
October 27th, 2008, 12:12 PM
McNeese should not be in the poll. Fine with SDSU, though I'd prefer to see Maine or Texas State in there. Villanova and Weber are way too low, IMO. Both should be sniffing, or in, the top five.

WrenFGun
October 27th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Also, three first place votes for Cal Poly after a tighter than it should have been win over SUU?

danefan
October 27th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Lafayette and Liberty are interesting to me.

Seems they are holding each other up. What quality win does either have? I give Lafayette a good win over Liberty, but they have a 2 TD loss to Harvard. But yet Harvard is 4 spots below Lafayette?

Doesn't make sense to me.

(FWIW I had Liberty at 24 and Lafayette at 22 this week).

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 12:16 PM
i think maine ought to be getting a better look at the top 25... i had them in mine

Appaholic
October 27th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Why should Villanova be under Richmond with a better Resume and the head to head..... I actually did not drop Villanova in the polls at #6 and had Richmond at #7.....
Same reason Weber is under Montana after dominating them......

Cranium716
October 27th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Can't believe that 'Nova is down at #8! No way they should be that low AND below Richmond...xconfusedx

elcid96
October 27th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Can't believe that 'Nova is down at #8! No way they should be that low AND below Richmond...xconfusedx

That is what happens when you cannot play 1 minute of D and win the game.xbawlingx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 27th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I think McNeese is in the rankings still mostly due to a severe lack of other options to put in folks' Top 25. I don't know about anyone else but I had a rough time finding teams to put down there. Penn? Brown? NDSU? Texas State (had they not lost to *choke* Southern Utah they'd be Top 25 for sure)? Northwestern State? There are simply not a lot of options.

I had Colgate in my Top 25 - they were just under McNeese in my ballot. Perhaps they should be rated above them. Other then the Raiders, though, I'm just not seeing the quality teams to put in there.

I had Weber State very high in my poll. Not #1, but higher than they were here.

Dane96
October 27th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I am SHOCKED- Maine and Texas State...more MAINE...deserve to be in this poll.

I agree with others regarding Lafayette...they are in the 22-24 range. Colgate...just sniffing it.

NDSU, SDSU...not sure about that.

MAINE however should be in just about everyone's poll.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 27th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Lafayette and Liberty are interesting to me.

Seems they are holding each other up. What quality win does either have? I give Lafayette a good win over Liberty, but they have a 2 TD loss to Harvard. But yet Harvard is 4 spots below Lafayette?

Doesn't make sense to me.

(FWIW I had Liberty at 24 and Lafayette at 22 this week).

I think Lafayette and Liberty are about right in the poll, but I agree that Harvard is too low and should be ranked above them (and, in my poll, are).

ToTheLeft
October 27th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I think Weber should be closer to like 5 or 6 if not higher...

And Liberty has been smacking bad teams in the mouth lately... I guess that impresses voters. :)

dbackjon
October 27th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Texas State (had they not lost to *choke* Southern Utah they'd be Top 25 for sure)? .

Don't dog on SUU too much - they are a much improved team. They did beat YSU (who beat #26 NDSU), and Texas State, so that should not be too negative.

Dane96
October 27th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Beating YSU, who has ONE upset win, isnt a big deal this year; they are a bad football team.

MaximumBobcat
October 27th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Don't dog on SUU too much - they are a much improved team. They did beat YSU (who beat #26 NDSU), and Texas State, so that should not be too negative.

FYI, Our backup QB had to start and played most of the game against SUU. We were having a few difficulties, but have since worked them out. See: 62-21 over SFA.

URMite
October 27th, 2008, 12:34 PM
That is what happens when you cannot play 1 minute of D and win the game.xbawlingx

Do you mean Nova or Richmond?xsmiley_wix

I agree that Nova should be ahead of Richmond because of the head to head, the rest of the resume we may have a slight advantage (until they play UNH).

putter
October 27th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Also, three first place votes for Cal Poly after a tighter than it should have been win over SUU?

did you drop UNI after their convincing win over a "very strong" YSU team? I didn't think so.....

danefan
October 27th, 2008, 12:41 PM
did you drop UNI after their convincing win over a "very strong" YSU team? I didn't think so.....

I did. Down 3 spots.xpeacex

Dane96
October 27th, 2008, 12:43 PM
As did I...but only two spots I think.

AppAlum
October 27th, 2008, 12:45 PM
App should be lower, just barely beat GSU and lost to JMU xliarx

putter
October 27th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I did. Down 3 spots.xpeacex

Fair enough but, (and good for you!) having seen SUU, I would not knock Poly too much as they still won by 24.

malibudude
October 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Fair enough but, (and good for you!) having seen SUU, I would not knock Poly too much as they still won by 24.

Well actually, 28 pts. SUU gave Poly one heck of a game for two quarters, watch out for the TBirds next year.

danefan
October 27th, 2008, 12:55 PM

True. Poly did fall 1 spot in my ballot but really because Wofford jumped over them, as opposed to Poly really falling.

PurpleandGold
October 27th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Not sure we should be hearing any more about East Coast Bias with Cal Poly and Montana ahead of Villanova. All three have one DI loss, but 'Nova's got wins over #6 and #16 and played the #1 team closer than numbers 2 and 6. UM has a win over #4, played Central Washington real close, and their one loss was not close. CP has a win over #25 and a 1-7 IA who might not even rank here. Did I miss anything?

ccd494
October 27th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Dear AGS Poll voters,

We exist.

Sincerely,

the University of Maine

LehighFan11
October 27th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Villanova should not of been dropped by anyone in their poll.

The person that voted Weber St is should be examined for insanity

Also, I had Wofford jump App St for the #2 spot. Did any others move Wofford up other than the 2 people who voted them #1.

WrenFGun
October 27th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Yes, I did.

LehighFan11
October 27th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Not sure we should be hearing any more about East Coast Bias with Cal Poly and Montana ahead of Villanova. All three have one DI loss, but 'Nova's got wins over #6 and #16 and played the #1 team closer than numbers 2 and 6. UM has a win over #4, played Central Washington real close, and their one loss was not close. CP has a win over #25 and a 1-7 IA who might not even rank here. Did I miss anything?

Cal Poly is ranked high merely on expectations, kind of like App St.

WrenFGun
Dear AGS Poll voters,

We exist.

Sincerely,

the University of Maine

I'll echo that. With the dearth of quality teams here, Maine is a top 25 team, no doubt, and a current playoff contender if they win out.

Ronbo
Weber still way too low.

The top seeds better pray they move up because Weber will be like some other Big Sky teams lately and will go in and steamroll their seeded opponent.

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Dear AGS Poll voters,

We exist.

Sincerely,

the University of Maine

you were in my top 25!

Dane96
October 27th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Maine was in my top 25!

RabidRabbit
October 27th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I am SHOCKED- Maine and Texas State...more MAINE...deserve to be in this poll.

I agree with others regarding Lafayette...they are in the 22-24 range. Colgate...just sniffing it.

NDSU, SDSU...not sure about that.

MAINE however should be in just about everyone's poll.

What quality wins do Maine have? Who in the top 25 or FBS have they lost to? Who do they have left?

SDSU is a MVFC one loss team, and still very much in the hunt for the auto-bid. Losses for the Jacks were FBS IA St, UNI, McNeese (3OT), and Cal Poly. Wins - YSU, WIU, In St, SFA. Ya, Jacks are 4-4, but they should go to 6-4 with two home MVFC games. They'll need to win the last two away games at SIU and NDSU to win a play-off spot, but they definitely will be at the edge of the top 25 all the way to selection day.

NDSU, with 3 MVFC losses, is unfortunately locked out of finishing higher than a group 2nd in the MVFC, and with the OOC of the MVFC this year, 2 or 3 one MVFC loss teams will likely be as low as the selection committee goes into the MVFC for play-offs.

RabidRabbit
October 27th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Cal Poly is ranked high merely on expectations, kind of like App St.

Have you watched Poly in action? If not, do so! xthumbsupx They are doing a great job of getting these games on for free via channelsurfing. xthumbsupx This is a potent, loaded offense that will stunt and create absolute havok on defenses with their offense. Their defense is awesome too, especially if they are ahead.

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Maine is 5-3 (3-2)

Wins
@Monmouth
Stony Brook
@Delaware
Hofstra
Northeastern

Losses
@Iowa
@Richmond
JMU

Games Remaining
Iona
@UMASS
@URI
UNH

No quality wins but its hard to beat those three losses...

LehighFan11
October 27th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Have you watched Poly in action? If not, do so! xthumbsupx They are doing a great job of getting these games on for free via channelsurfing. xthumbsupx This is a potent, loaded offense that will stunt and create absolute havok on defenses with their offense. Their defense is awesome too, especially if they are ahead.

Yea I did vs. SDSU. They are a great team and I have them ranked #4, but they do lack quality wins. App St lacks quality wins as well but we all know what they are about.

WrenFGun
October 27th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Maine is 5-3 (3-2)

Wins
@Monmouth
Stony Brook
@Delaware
Hofstra
Northeastern

Losses
@Iowa
@Richmond
JMU

Games Remaining
Iona
@UMASS
@URI
UNH

They trounced Delaware in a tough place to play. Additonally, Monmouth is one of the best in the NEC, not that it counts for a whole lot in terms of evaluation.

LehighFan11
October 27th, 2008, 01:40 PM
They trounced Delaware in a tough place to play. Additonally, Monmouth is one of the best in the NEC, not that it counts for a whole lot in terms of evaluation.

Don't try to sell the Delaware win this year.

smallcollegefbfan
October 27th, 2008, 01:41 PM

I still have Villanova in the top 5 and I believe that Montana should be ahead of Cal Poly and Weber State should be ahead of Montana.

AZGrizFan
October 27th, 2008, 01:44 PM

Man, that argument is lame. Some UNI fan is trying the same logic on another thread... xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

terrierbob
October 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Dear AGS Poll voters,

We exist.

Sincerely,

the University of Maine

xnodx

WrenFGun
October 27th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Man, that argument is lame. Some UNI fan is trying the same logic on another thread... xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

The better one would probably be that they put up a lot of points on a pretty good UD defense, in UD. I realize a win over UD doesn't mean much, but if you look at some schedules, it really isn't that bad of a win, relatively speaking.

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 02:21 PM

hey you dont need to convince me they are in my top 25

Lehigh Football Nation
October 27th, 2008, 02:23 PM
FYI, Our backup QB had to start and played most of the game against SUU. We were having a few difficulties, but have since worked them out. See: 62-21 over SFA.

Texas State is probably about 1 win away from returning to my Top 25.

URMite
October 27th, 2008, 02:26 PM

I think Nova should be higher than UR by the head to head but, where do you see the better resume outside of that?

UR 6(@elon, @umass, maine, towson, @vmi, Gtown) - 3 (@uva, jmu, @Nova)

Nova 5(UR, @ W&M, @penn, @uri, lehigh) - 2 (@wvu, jmu)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 27th, 2008, 02:36 PM
To me, it's just the head to head that makes a difference. Both are damn good teams!

URMite
October 27th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25

(First place votes in parenthesis), Points
1. James Madison (96) 2543
2. Appalachian St. 2403
3. Wofford (3) 2270
4. Cal Poly (2) 2233
5. Northern Iowa 2004
6. Richmond 1950
7. Montana 1877
8. Villanova 1796
9. Southern Illinois 1617
10. New Hampshire 1560
11. Weber St. (1) 1552
12. Elon 1460
13. Central Arkansas 1419
14. Western Illinois 1335
15. Massachusetts 1084
16. William & Mary 912
17. Furman 779
18. Lafayette 644
19. McNeese St. 618
20. Liberty 614
21. Northern Arizona 558
22. Harvard 427
23. South Carolina St. 395
24. Tennessee-Martin 239
25. South Dakota St. 151
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): North Dakota St. (33), Georgia Southern (31), Texas St. (27), Maine (26), Tennessee St. (20), Hampton (15), Jacksonville St. (11), Colgate (9), Prairie View A&M (6)

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Wofford
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Elon

So is UCA the current At-large marker?xeyebrowx

danefan
October 27th, 2008, 02:57 PM
So is UCA the current At-large marker?xeyebrowx

I'm not sure what you mean by at-large market, but UCA isn't eligible.

WrenFGun
October 27th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Theoretically, I think he's suggesting there is not a projected at-large team below UCA in the rankings (the rest are the bubble teams).

Dukie95
October 27th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Maine is 5-3 (3-2)

Wins
@Monmouth
Stony Brook
@Delaware
Hofstra
Northeastern

Losses
@Iowa
@Richmond
JMU

Games Remaining
Iona
@UMASS
@URI
UNH

I don't disagree, but I'll be sure to note that UD and NU aren't quality wins - that might come in handy later. xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
October 27th, 2008, 04:53 PM
According to AGS's poll last week, the #6 team was hosting the #1 team. If the poll had it right, the #1 team would win a close one over the #6 team. Thats EXACTLY what happened. More like the #1 team pulled off a near miracle to beat the #6 team. So Logically, the #6 team would AT A MINIMUM, stay at #6, if not rise a couple of spots, esp considering their only other loss was to a BCS team that is the top vote getter (AP) outside of the top 25 that Nova outgained. Nova at 5-2 also beat 26-20 the #6 team, 6-3 UR. So of course Nova stays at #6 or moves up right? Noooo. They drop 2 spots!xeekx xeekx xeekx

Even the TSN poll didn't drop Nova, and the coaches poll only dropped them 1 spot. I used to think the AGS poll was the best of the 3, but now I'm not so sure, as there is certainly some clueless idiots, granted a maybe small group, along with a larger group of heavily biased voters, that is tarnishing this poll.

As has been pointed out already, at minimum Nova should be top 6 and flipped with UR.

BDKJMU
October 27th, 2008, 04:56 PM

DITTO! According to AGS's poll last week, the #6 team, who was underranked to begin with, as I ranted last week about Nova being #6 and Elon being #3 when both had one loss, Nova's being to a BCS and Elon not playing a I-A and losing @ home to UR by 18 while Nova beat UR at home by 6) was hosting the #1 team. If the poll had it right, the #1 team would win a close one over the #6 team. Thats EXACTLY what happened. More like the #1 team pulled off a near miracle to beat the #6 team. So Logically, the #6 team would AT A MINIMUM, stay at #6, if not rise a couple of spots, esp considering their only other loss was to a BCS team that is the top vote getter (AP) outside of the top 25 that Nova outgained. Nova at 5-2 also beat 26-20 the #6 team, 6-3 UR. So of course Nova stays at #6 or moves up right? Noooo. They drop 2 spots!xeekx xeekx xeekx

Even the TSN poll didn't drop Nova, and the coaches poll only dropped them 1 spot. I used to think the AGS poll was the best of the 3, but now I'm not so sure, as there is certainly some clueless idiots, granted a maybe small group, along with a larger group of heavily biased voters, that is tarnishing this poll.

As has been pointed out already, at minimum Nova should be top 6 and flipped with UR.

slycat
October 27th, 2008, 05:16 PM
McNeese and SDSU are overrated and Weber St in underrated.

B&G
October 27th, 2008, 06:26 PM
SCSU should be up there with Liberty & Lafayette. No FCS losses.

CAAisBOSS
October 27th, 2008, 07:07 PM
SCSU should be up there with Liberty & Lafayette. No FCS losses.

SCSU barely beat a very BAD norfolk state team...

JALMOND
October 27th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I'll echo that. With the dearth of quality teams here, Maine is a top 25 team, no doubt, and a current playoff contender if they win out.

If they win out, they will be ranked (their toughest games are yet to be played). Right now, their lone "quality" win (Delaware) is looking less spectacular every week.

Maroon&White
October 27th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Maine is 5-3 (3-2)

Wins
@Monmouth
Stony Brook
@Delaware
Hofstra
Northeastern

Losses
@Iowa
@Richmond
JMU

Games Remaining
Iona
@UMASS
@URI
UNH

Looks fairly similiar to UMass...

Wins

Albany
@ Holy Cross
Delaware
@ Northeastern
Bryant

Losses

@ JMU
@ Texas Tech
Richmond

Games Remaining

@ URI
Maine
@ UNH
Hofstra

Again, no real quality wins, and also have the Bryant win. Though I think we "beat" Maine's 3 losses :)

WileECoyote06
October 27th, 2008, 08:46 PM
SCSU barely beat a very BAD norfolk state team...

But they also demolished a Hampton team that played SIU close in Carbondale.

-since you want to add comparative scoring to the equation.xsmiley_wix

R.A.
October 27th, 2008, 09:02 PM
The posts by many AGS posters, match with the AGS poll... FAMU has no votes in the AGS poll.

Yet... in both the FCS Coaches Poll and the Sports Network Poll, the Rattlers have received votes.

I detect that some of the AGS poster are brewing up some home cooking for their own teams and conferences in the Any Given Saturday poll.

slycat
October 27th, 2008, 09:10 PM
The posts by many AGS posters, match with the AGS poll... FAMU has no votes in the AGS poll.

Yet... in both the FCS Coaches Poll and the Sports Network Poll, the Rattlers have received votes.

I detect that some of the AGS poster are brewing up some home cooking for their own teams and conferences in the Any Given Saturday poll.

They may have some votes. The AGS doesn't show teams with less then 5 votes.

URMite
October 27th, 2008, 09:11 PM

Wrenn got it right. The word was marker not market. The teams ranked higher are the ones most are predicting to be at-large, the ones immediately below them are the one most are predicting will not make it.

R.A.
October 27th, 2008, 09:16 PM
They may have some votes. The AGS doesn't show teams with less then 5 votes.

Less than five votes, for a 6-2 Automatic Bid Conference team...

LehighFan11
October 27th, 2008, 09:23 PM

Lets hear their resume? looks terrible. SCST is getting votes for a reason, but I don't know about FAMU.

URMite
October 27th, 2008, 09:24 PM
DITTO! According to AGS's poll last week, the #6 team, who was underranked to begin with, as I ranted last week about Nova being #6 and Elon being #3 when both had one loss, Nova's being to a BCS and Elon not playing a I-A and losing @ home to UR by 18 while Nova beat UR at home by 6) was hosting the #1 team. If the poll had it right, the #1 team would win a close one over the #6 team. Thats EXACTLY what happened. More like the #1 team pulled off a near miracle to beat the #6 team. So Logically, the #6 team would AT A MINIMUM, stay at #6, if not rise a couple of spots, esp considering their only other loss was to a BCS team that is the top vote getter (AP) outside of the top 25 that Nova outgained. Nova at 5-2 also beat 26-20 the #6 team, 6-3 UR. So of course Nova stays at #6 or moves up right? Noooo. They drop 2 spots!xeekx xeekx xeekx

I don't think it is right but has a team loss to another FCS team and not dropped? I can't remember it happening this year...

But the polls are better than I remember in the 80s, back then the concept of SOS seemed lost on the AP, a loss was a loss. I remember something absolutely ridiculous like a loss to a top 5 FBS team dropping a team 12-15 spots. xnutsx

Houndawg
October 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Less than five votes, for a 6-2 Automatic Bid Conference team...

Let's hear it - state your case.

JALMOND

Could not put them in my top 25. Loss to Delaware State, bad loss. Home loss to SC State, I don't like home conference losses anyway. They are having a good season and the neutral field win against Tennessee State is a good win, but I could not place them this week.

R.A.
Lets hear their resume? looks terrible. SCST is getting votes for a reason, but I don't know about FAMU.

6 FCS wins, including a win over OVC leader Tenn State.

A 7 point loss to conference leader SC State.

A 7 point overtime loss to 2007 MEAC Champion Del State.

But I'm just simply pointing out that the Sport Network voters and the FCS Coaches, apparently feel different than the AGS poll voters regarding FAMU... for some strange reason... that's all. xthumbsupx

R.A.
October 27th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Could not put them in my top 25.
I agree, the Rattlers are not a top 25 team this week. But for a 6-2 squad to have less than 5 votes in a major FCS poll??

Loss to Delaware State, bad loss.
Agreed, but I think folks are going overboard with it because of their perception of Del State from the UD/Del St game in 2007. It's a bad loss... it was a 7 point overtime loss on the road though, a tough fought game.

Home loss to SC State, I don't like home conference losses anyway.

SC State's the MEAC leader and the PreSeason MEAC Champion... the Rattlers were suppose to lose that game...

They are having a good season and the neutral field win against Tennessee State is a good win, but I could not place them this week.

I agree, FAMU isn't a top 25 squad this week, but they don't even have more than 5 votes from the AGS voters. A 6-2 record, with 6 FCS wins, should get them more than under 5 votes.

Think about it like this... Tennessee State has had a very comparable season to FAMU. The Tigers are even from a similar conference to the MEAC... Tenn State has 20 votes, FAMU has less than 5 votes, and FAMU beat Tenn State.

Think about it AGS poll voters... just think about it.

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Agreed, but I think folks are going overboard with it because of their perception of Del State from the UD/Del St game in 2007. It's a bad loss... it was a 7 point overtime loss on the road though, a tough fought game.

Or if you are like me, you are looking at MORGAN STATE 20-3 DELAWARE STATE. You ever consider that? ;)

SC State's the MEAC leader and the PreSeason MEAC Champion... the Rattlers were suppose to lose that game...

Just as they were supposed to win all the games they have. Has FAMU won a game they were supposed to lose? Not yet...and that will keep them sitting out. The SWAC wins were not impressive. Best win is Tennessee State and well, they just lost to SEMO!

R.A -- check back with us when you look outside of the MEAC. I really think you are missing the points being thrown your way.

Jerbearasu
October 27th, 2008, 09:49 PM

Preseason polls need to play a part in it at the beginning of the season and as the season progresses the teams that were under-ranked need to start leap frogging teams and teams that were over-ranked need to start dropping.

If the #1 team beat the #2 team but the #2 team had already beat the #3 team should Team 2 stay ranked at #2 even if they lost to #1? No.

If JMU loses on the last week of the season and App continues to win out should App be #1? IMO, yes even though JMU beat App.

When you lose, who you lose to, by how much you lose, and where you were the previous week should all play into where you are in the rankings.

R.A.
October 27th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Or if you are like me, you are looking at MORGAN STATE 20-3 DELAWARE STATE. You ever consider that? ;) Of course I have.

Just as they were supposed to win all the games they have. Has FAMU won a game they were supposed to lose? Not yet...and that will keep them sitting out. The SWAC wins were not impressive. Best win is Tennessee State and well, they just lost to SEMO!

Which is why the Rattlers should not be in the top 25 this week... my point is 6 FCS wins deserve more than under 5 votes.

R.A -- check back with us when you look outside of the MEAC. I really think you are missing the points being thrown your way.

There are some serious teams in other conferences out there, I know. I'm just pointing out that the voters of two major FCS polls seem to feel that FAMU's a serious team also deserving of votes, while one major FCS poll doesn't.

JALMOND
October 27th, 2008, 09:58 PM
My take on FAMU's loss to Delaware State...nothing to do with last year. Hornets this year currently 3-4, one of those wins against FAMU. Bad loss for the Rattlers. OT loss or whatever, a loss is still a loss.

In order for FAMU to be mentioned, five voters had to think they are a top 25 team. I do not this week. Considered FAMU but could not list them as top 25. Also considered Bethune Cookman (similar resume to FAMU), but could not list them either.

BDKJMU
October 27th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Preseason polls need to play a part in it at the beginning of the season and as the season progresses the teams that were under-ranked need to start leap frogging teams and teams that were over-ranked need to start dropping.

I don't like pre season polls. I don't think there should even be any polls till the 1st week of Oct. What purpose does a pre season poll serve at the end of Aug? Its about as accurate as the weatherman trying to forcast the weather a month out. I don't start paying attention to them too much or commenting on them till Oct.

If the #1 team beat the #2 team but the #2 team had already beat the #3 team should Team 2 stay ranked at #2 even if they lost to #1? No.

YES! If the #2 team beat the #3 (taking into account home vs away) and then the #2 barely lost to the #1 I wouldn't drop the #2 because I would be using LOGIC, something that a lot of pollsters don't use.

If JMU loses on the last week of the season and App continues to win out should App be #1? IMO, yes even though JMU beat App.

Yes, because that would mean JMU would have choked against a Towson team likely to come into that game at 3-8.xeekx Heck, if that happened, I'd say drop JMU quite a few spots.

Jerbearasu
October 27th, 2008, 10:11 PM
YES! If the #2 team beat the #3 (taking into account home vs away) and then the #2 barely lost to the #1 I wouldn't drop the #2 because I would be using LOGIC, something that a lot of pollsters don't use.

So theoretically we could have an 1-10 team be #11 in the polls because they lost to the top 10 teams by 1 point but beat the #12 team by 50? xeyebrowx

wideright82
October 27th, 2008, 10:29 PM
So theoretically we could have an 1-10 team be #11 in the polls because they lost to the top 10 teams by 1 point but beat the #12 team by 50? xeyebrowx

Yeah and theoretically given the right amount of downward thrust from flapping your arms you could fly. Honestly, that is completely ridiculous to say to counter a correct notion, but then again i could be wrong and you just dont agree with a ranking system. A loss should with out a doubt be based off of who you lose to, other wise why would you rank teams? OR i could use your backwards logic. If two teams meet in the playoffs, when 1 beats 4 in the semis (theoretically xsmiley_wix ) should 4 drop in the rankings at the end of the season?

th0m
October 28th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I agree that Weber State is underrated, but I'd like to see dbackjohn make his case for voting them #1 xconfusedx

Weber State:
- "decent loss" to no. 10 Utah. You guys will claim this, although a loss is obviously a loss, and scored 14 of your 21 points in the 4th quarter...
- Good, sound win vs. Montana. No discussion here.
- Spankage at NAU. Again, no discussion here. An argument can be made that NAU was quite overrated, but it's still a quality win especially with such margin.
- Loss to Hawaii.
- Two DII wins.

JMU:
- uninspiring loss vs. Duke. We know MM doesn't want to play these games close, but this is no excuse not to go out and compete.
- Good win vs. ASU.
- Good win vs. UMass. UMass certainly isn't of top 5 caliber, but a good win nonetheless. Comparable to WSU's NAU win IMO.
- Good win at Richmond. Game won on punt-return, true, but had the return not happened it would've been tied, not lost.
- Good win at Villanova. Lucky, lucky Hail Mary pass to win, however the drive leading up to the Hail Mary was not luck but persistence.

OL FU
October 28th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I agree that Weber State is underrated, but I'd like to see dbackjohn make his case for voting them #1 xconfusedx

Weber State:
- "decent loss" to no. 10 Utah. You guys will claim this, although a loss is obviously a loss, and scored 14 of your 21 points in the 4th quarter...
- Spankage at NAU. Again, no discussion here. An argument can be made that NAU was quite overrated, but it's still a quality win especially with such margin.
- Loss to Hawaii.
- Two DII wins.

JMU:
- uninspiring loss vs. Duke. We know MM doesn't want to play these games close, but this is no excuse not to go out and compete.
- Good win vs. ASU.
- Good win vs. UMass. UMass certainly isn't of top 5 caliber, but a good win nonetheless. Comparable to WSU's NAU win IMO.
- Good win at Richmond. Game won on punt-return, true, but had the return not happened it would've been tied, not lost.
- Good win at Villanova. Lucky, lucky Hail Mary pass to win, however the drive leading up to the Hail Mary was not luck but persistence.

Could it be an emotional reaction to seeing your team get clobberedxconfusedx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

GrizRchattybound
October 28th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Weber fans should not be happy about this.

DetroitFlyer
October 28th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Both TSN and the Coaches have Dayton on the radar.... TSN has the Flyers at #40, Coaches at #37. AGS.... Unfortunately, of the three, AGS as expected is a fans's poll and the biases of the fans come through loud and clear.

OL FU
October 28th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Both TSN and the Coaches have Dayton on the radar.... TSN has the Flyers at #40, Coaches at #37. AGS.... Unfortunately, of the three, AGS as expected is a fans's poll and the biases of the fans come through loud and clear.

I had Dayton in my sights, then they lost to that school with the name that has too many silent s's:o xsmiley_wix

th0m
October 28th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Could it be an emotional reaction to seeing your team get clobberedxconfusedx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Hmm. Could very well be the case. For the sake of the integrity of the AGS poll (if there is any) lets hope this is not his motivation.

OL FU
October 28th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Hmm. Could very well be the case. For the sake of the integrity of the AGS poll (if there is any) lets hope this is not his motivation.

I think an emotional reaction is not necessarily a badly intended motivation ( if that is the case at all). We are emotional creatures and we tend to react in certain ways when caught by surprise. I said this only because Jon has been singing the praises of NAU in the poll and then to see them beaten badly might lead one to over react. (This is obviously conjecture, I have no clue as to his motivation other than what he said.)

As far as integrity of the poll, we have 100+ voters. If anyone here thinks that 100+ voters all have it right, then they are sadly mistaken. Just like every other poll out there, the poll is the accumulation of all the votes, not an individual ingredient by itself. If an individuals ballot case doubt on the integrity of the poll, then every poll out there would have to be thrown in the waste basket.

Personally, I think this discussion forum improves our poll as much as anything. xthumbsupx

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Personally, I think this discussion forum improves our poll as much as anything. xthumbsupx

Seconded. xthumbsupx

LehighFan11
October 28th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Only win was vs. Fordham, which we all know isn't quality this year.

tribe_pride
October 28th, 2008, 12:05 PM

How do you know that AGS doesn't have the Flyers at 35? Only the top 34 (those with 5+ votes) were shown in this week's poll. All we know is that the Flyers did not get 5 votes. They may have gotten 4 votes and are in 35th place.

BigApp
October 28th, 2008, 12:25 PM
App St lacks quality wins as well ...

Please elaborate. Or, at the very least, you should state your definition of a "quality win".

App has already beaten 3 teams that have spent time in the Top 15 (if not top 10). Also beat a team that very well could win the PFL.

Would a win against Wofford qualify as a "quality win" in your eyes?

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Please elaborate. Or, at the very least, you should state your definition of a "quality win".

App has already beaten 3 teams that have spent time in the Top 15 (if not top 10). Also beat a team that very well could win the PFL.

Good luck trying. Even a win over JMU wouldn't qualify as a quality win because we're only #1 because of luck.xconfusedx

GSUhooligan
October 28th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Your argument would have been better had you not brought that up.

AZGrizFan
October 28th, 2008, 12:38 PM

Why does he need to elaborate? Beating a team that "spent time" in the top 15 don't mean squat. YSU "spent time in the top 15. They suck. UD spent time in the top 15. They suck. Furman counts as a quality win, and Wofford would definitely count in my book as a quality win. Elon, on the other hand, has been exposed. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

appstate38
October 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Will McNeese and Cal Poly be hurt when it comes to playoff time because they weren't able to play their game? That match up could have gone a long way to strengthen either one of those teams quality wins.

LehighFan11
October 28th, 2008, 12:43 PM

I'd be willing to say Furman was App's first quality win. The Citadel and GSU aren't top 15 teams anymore (Although GSU can sure play like a top 15 team). Wofford would be a huge win and validate App's ranking at #2.

appstate38
October 28th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I'd be willing to say Furman was App's first quality win. The Citadel and GSU aren't top 15 teams anymore (Although GSU can sure play like a top 15 team). Wofford would be a huge win and validate App's ranking at #2.

I believe the Citadel was ranked when we beat them. We can't help that the wheels fell off after that game.

danefan
October 28th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Will McNeese and Cal Poly be hurt when it comes to playoff time because they weren't able to play their game? That match up could have gone a long way to strengthen either one of those teams quality wins.

I think it hurts McNeese more. Its pretty easy to assume now that Cal Poly would have won that game.

LehighFan11
October 28th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I believe the Citadel was ranked when we beat them. We can't help that the wheels fell off after that game.

No you can't but it doesn't help you. Alabama beat Clemson at the beginning of the year when Clemson was around 7th, but that isn't a quality win anymore because Clemson sucks.

BDKJMU
October 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Thats not a realistic scenario. xsmiley_wix

URMite
October 28th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Why does he need to elaborate? Beating a team that "spent time" in the top 15 don't mean squat. YSU "spent time in the top 15. They suck. UD spent time in the top 15. They suck. Furman counts as a quality win, and Wofford would definitely count in my book as a quality win. Elon, on the other hand, has been exposed. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Furman is a quality win, but Elon is not? Head to Head? xeyebrowx Elon only exposed that they were ranked too high, not that they weren't a quality team.

Personally I count anyone who is still in the running for an at-large as a quality win. Of course, who that is keeps changing each week, plus you get into the arguement about your opponent's SOS. (The team you beat has 4 losses instead of 3 because they play more top teams, etc. xoopsx )

I see 19 teams trying for 12 spots (excluding autos for PL, SL, OVC, MEAC) - JMU, VU, UNH, UR, W&M, Umass, Maine, ASU, Wofford, Elon, Furman, Liberty, SIU, UNI, WIU, NAU, Weber St, Montana, Cal Poly

Of course, some of these will fall, and some strange auto possibilities are there, but that is how I see it for now.

Just wanted to add if this list didn't change (which it will) by the end of the season UR will have played - @VU, @W&M, @Umass, @Elon, JMU, Maine, & a FBS while JMU will have played @VU, W&M, Umass, ASU, @UR, @Maine & a FBS
Which I think is the most of any at-large candidates. We had more away, but they won more of them.

I think if you stretch quality teams to 4 losses you will see a few 3 loss teams that have played 5 or 6 of them and will give the committee a lot to think about.

URMite
October 28th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Personally I count quality wins by where teams are ranked at the end of the regular season, not where they were when you played, unless there are major injuries.

dbackjon
October 28th, 2008, 01:00 PM

Weber State:
- Loss to Hawaii.
- Two DII wins.

JMU:
- Good win vs. ASU.

You have to look at margins, and talent as well. I will admit, I haven't seen much of JMU playing, but I suspect neither have many seen Weber play.

I simply think that with Weber's Offense, Defense and coaching, they are the best team in the country right now. I can certainly appreciate why JMU is overall #1 to most - they are a dynamite team. I just think Weber would beat them.

URMite
October 28th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I think it hurts McNeese more. Its pretty easy to assume now that Cal Poly would have won that game.

I agree CP would be favored and McNeese need that game more. Actually I think not playing helped CP, they don't seem to need the McNeese win, and a loss could have really hurt. And despite being favored I think CP has a better chance of losing that game if it is played than if it is not played. xthumbsupx

dbackjon
October 28th, 2008, 01:03 PM

I think an emotional reaction is not necessarily a badly intended motivation ( if that is the case at all). We are emotional creatures and we tend to react in certain ways when caught by surprise. I said this only because Jon has been singing the praises of NAU in the poll and then to see them beaten badly might lead one to over react. (This is obviously conjecture, I have no clue as to his motivation other than what he said.)

As far as integrity of the poll, we have 100+ voters. If anyone here thinks that 100+ voters all have it right, then they are sadly mistaken. Just like every other poll out there, the poll is the accumulation of all the votes, not an individual ingredient by itself. If an individuals ballot case doubt on the integrity of the poll, then every poll out there would have to be thrown in the waste basket.

Was my decision influenced by the NAU game? yes - the way they handled a very good NAU team (better team than the team that hung with App State last year) was impressive.

But the real reason was how many weapons Weber has, and how good the coaching staff is.

Appguy
October 28th, 2008, 01:29 PM
The true question is that if Wofford and JMU both win does Wofford hop JMU?
I think so.

OL FU
October 28th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Was my decision influenced by the NAU game? yes - the way they handled a very good NAU team (better team than the team that hung with App State last year) was impressive.

But the real reason was how many weapons Weber has, and how good the coaching staff is.

Always tough to measure teams from different regions and different conferences. xnodx Thankfully we have a way to settle itxthumbsupx

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I think so.

I agree. If we're looking at resumes, the win at App trumps our marquee win at home vs. app.

URMite
October 28th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I agree. If we're looking at resumes, the win at App trumps our marquee win at home vs. app.

Looking at total big wins in that scenario, does make it interesting -
JMU (@VU, @UR, Umass, ASU) Wofford (@GSU, @Elon, @ASU)

xchinscratchx xchinscratchx xchinscratchx

And if Weber St wins out and remains another "undefeated in FCS" team (Montana, @Nau, EWU)

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Looking at total big wins in that scenario, does make it interesting -
JMU (@VU, @UR, Umass, ASU) Wofford (@GSU, @Elon, @ASU)

xchinscratchx xchinscratchx xchinscratchx

And if Weber St wins out and remains another "undefeated in FCS" team (Montana, @Nau, EWU)

Throw in the argument on another thread where Cal Poly wins out, including a win @Wisconsin....xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

dbackjon
October 28th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Always tough to measure teams from different regions and different conferences. xnodx Thankfully we have a way to settle itxthumbsupx

Yup - that is the beauty of FCS!!

URMite
October 28th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Throw in the argument on another thread where Cal Poly wins out, including a win @Wisconsin....xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

True, 2 FBS wins should cancel out a FCS loss. xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
October 28th, 2008, 02:37 PM
True, 2 FBS wins should cancel out a FCS loss. xthumbsupx

Especially since that FCS loss IS to Montana.....

LehighFan11
October 28th, 2008, 02:41 PM

With how bad Wisconsin is right now, they have a chance. Too bad Wisconsin outweighs Poly by about 100 pounds.

LehighFan11
October 28th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I think so.

My top 4 before last week was JMU, App, Poly, Wofford. After Wofford's win @ Elon I had Wofford at #2 and App St at #3. I would defiantly consider having Wofford jump JMU if they win @ App on Friday.

BigApp
October 29th, 2008, 12:54 PM

So in your world should Richmond lose the rest of their games, they certainly would drop out of the top 15 and JMU's win over them wouldn't be a 'quality win'. Am I right?

LehighFan11
October 29th, 2008, 01:33 PM
So in your world should Richmond lose the rest of their games, they certainly would drop out of the top 15 and JMU's win over them wouldn't be a 'quality win'. Am I right?

Yea it would defiantly lose it's "quality" win aspect. A 7 loss Richmond team has to be questioned whether or not they are any good.

BigApp
October 29th, 2008, 03:39 PM
in other words, from what I am reading here is that NO ONE at this point has a "quality win" b/c their opponents (past and remaining) could lose out, lose more than they win and/or finish out of the Top 25.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/images/admin/chappelle.jpg

HensRock
October 29th, 2008, 03:49 PM

And in your world, is Furman's win over Delaware a "quality" win?
(Keep in mind, Delaware was ranked #6 at the time)

GSUhooligan
October 29th, 2008, 03:55 PM
And in your world, is Furman's win over Delaware a "quality" win?
(Keep in mind, Delaware was ranked #6 at the time)

That's the sole reason they're in the top 25 IMHO.

HensRock
October 29th, 2008, 04:00 PM
That's the sole reason they're in the top 25 IMHO.

I have to agree. Both teams played pretty poorly that day, but Furman did enough to eek out the 23-21 win at home.

I don't think Delaware was a quality win. We all know now that UD was seriously over-rated at the time.

South Carolina Duke
October 29th, 2008, 05:21 PM
My top 4 before last week was JMU, App, Poly, Wofford. After Wofford's win @ Elon I had Wofford at #2 and App St at #3. I would defiantly consider having Wofford jump JMU if they win @ App on Friday.

So, if WC #3 beats Appy #2 at KBS, WC should take over #1?

JMU has already beaten #'s 2,3 5,7 some home and away. WC's wins would be comprised of, an overated Elon and a legit "top 5" team.

LehighFan11
October 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM

JMU has already beaten #'s 2,3 5,7 some home and away. WC's wins would be comprised of, an overated Elon and a legit "top 5" team.

I said I would consider having Wofford jump JMU. You have to admit, JMU isn't exactly playing like a "dominate" #1 team so I think there is a possibility of having JMU and Wofford split some #1 votes.

LehighFan11
October 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM
in other words, from what I am reading here is that NO ONE at this point has a "quality win" b/c their opponents (past and remaining) could lose out, lose more than they win and/or finish out of the Top 25.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/images/admin/chappelle.jpg

I think you are taking this out of context. I think this is very simple logic. JMU beat App at the beginning of the year, so everyone awarded JMU a very quality win because of how great App St is. Now if App St would of lost to GSU, lost to Furman, some would have to question how great that win was by JMU because App St would have fallen very far in the rankings. You can earn a quality win week 1 of the season but if the team you beat falls on their face, some of the creditability of that win falls as well (although not all of it). Its just like SOS, as your oppenents win or lose games your strength of your schedule raises or falls.

South Carolina Duke
October 29th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I said I would consider having Wofford jump JMU. You have to admit, JMU isn't exactly playing like a "dominate" #1 team so I think there is a possibility of having JMU and Wofford split some #1 votes.

I will agree to a point, being that our defense, linebackers particularly, has been suspect due to injuries.

However, the special teams and 2 minute drill offense has given us the opportunity to win against top ranked opponents(Richmond and Nova)

SOS has a lot to do with the rankings as well.

malibudude
October 29th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I think you are taking this out of context. I think this is very simple logic. JMU beat App at the beginning of the year, so everyone awarded JMU a very quality win because of how great App St is. Now if App St would of lost to GSU, lost to Furman, some would have to question how great that win was by JMU because App St would have fallen very far in the rankings. You can earn a quality win week 1 of the season but if the team you beat falls on their face, some of the creditability of that win falls as well (although not all of it). Its just like SOS, as your oppenents win or lose games your strength of your schedule raises or falls.

Yes, indeed. Thank you very much San Diego State!

GolfingGriz
October 30th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Yes, indeed. Thank you very much San Diego State!

Haha yeah, you guys would have looked really good if they would have hung on and beat Notre Dame.

th0m
October 30th, 2008, 03:23 AM
For playoff's sake, ain't that much difference between a #1 and a #2 seed anyway.

ElonPride
October 30th, 2008, 08:00 AM

Why do you think Elon is overrated? I still think this Elon team is a top 10 program, but not top 5. Yes the team played terribly against Wofford, but Elon is still sitting at 5-1 in what all the power rankings say is the #2 conference!

McNeeserocket
October 31st, 2008, 05:34 PM
I tried to log in and vote in this poll (as I have for years), but I was told that I was banned on Monday. I had voted just the week before without any problems.

I may have missed too many weeks, but I don't think so. However, two of the weeks I did miss had to do with two seperate Hurricane evacuations and not being in place where I could access a computer to vote.

Could you please respond and let me know if I will be able to vote again this season?

appstate38
October 31st, 2008, 05:41 PM
Why do you think Elon is overrated? I still think this Elon team is a top 10 program, but not top 5. Yes the team played terribly against Wofford, but Elon is still sitting at 5-1 in what all the power rankings say is the #2 conference!

Maybe considered overrated because against the 2 ranked teams that you faced you got beat.... If you beat the Apps in a few weeks then all that should be put to rest, but if not then you will still be considered a team that is pretty good but not yet an elite FCS team. Yes Furman was ranked and The Citadel was also. But those teams were considered by many on here to be overrated as well. Relax Paladins, I am not saying you guys are overrated. Just expressing a point to support my comments.... Hopefully

agsadmin
October 31st, 2008, 05:42 PM
I tried to log in and vote in this poll (as I have for years), but I was told that I was banned on Monday. I had voted just the week before without any problems.

I may have missed too many weeks, but I don't think so. However, two of the weeks I did miss had to do with two seperate Hurricane evacuations and not being in place where I could access a computer to vote.

Could you please respond and let me know if I will be able to vote again this season?

Check your PM. AGSPoll had already written you a day or two ago and I followed up today.