PDA

View Full Version : Wofford MUST beat ASU toget a first round home game

woffordgrad94
October 26th, 2008, 08:09 PM
If we lose another game, they'll send us to God-knows-where. :(

Win out, and even though it will kill them, they'll have no choice but to make us one of the top 4.

Just another reason Friday is so big for us.

Syntax Error
October 26th, 2008, 08:22 PM
That didn't work last year or in the recent past...

FCS Go!
October 26th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Maybe. Maybe not. A close loss @ App & winning out might still get Wofford a seed. I'd relish a return trip to Missoula for y'all though... I think.

Eight Legger
October 26th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Careful what you wish for...if Wofford went out there this year, the game would not come down to the last play. They might win by 2 TDs.

woffordgrad94
October 26th, 2008, 08:26 PM
But if we win out, and are 10-1 and undefeated in the tough SoCon, they'll HAVE to give us a seed this time, or their credibility will be SEVERELY questioned. If we lose we'll probably have to go someplace really out of the way again, like Northern Iowa! Nothing against NIU, but it just seems like the sort of inappropriate first-round matchup they might dream up for us. I doubt they'd send us back to Montana, though. I think they try to avoid repeating first-round matchups from the previous year.

dungeonjoe
October 26th, 2008, 08:28 PM
But if we win out, and are 10-1 and undefeated in the tough SoCon, they'll HAVE to give us a seed this time, or their credibility will be SEVERELY questioned. If we lose we'll probably have to go someplace really out of the way again, like Northern Iowa! Nothing against NIU, but it just seems like the sort of inappropriate first-round matchup they might dream up for us. I doubt they'd send us back to Montana, though. I think they try to avoid repeating first-round matchups from the previous year.
it ain't just about wins---it is also about money!!! The bid process, etc.

woffordgrad94
October 26th, 2008, 08:30 PM
it ain't just about wins---it is also about money!!! The bid process, etc.

Sad, but true. That's exactly why we can't lose! You can mark it down that they'll screw us if we give them half a chance. We're not as, uh, profitable to them as some others.

terrierbob
October 26th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Let's play the next three games to see if we're going to the playoffs.

dungeonjoe
October 26th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Sad, but true. That's exactly why we can't lose! You can mark it down that they'll screw us if we give them half a chance. We're not as, uh, profitable to them as some others.

Let's take the conspiracy theories over to the poli borad, okay?xlolx xlolx

The solution is to win.;)

Syntax Error
October 26th, 2008, 08:33 PM
it ain't just about wins---it is also about money!!! The bid process, etc.Seeds are decided first, then it goes to bids. So a seed is needed to guarantee you play at home.

beauvighn
October 26th, 2008, 08:37 PM

Bob, you just read my mind. We can't take anything or any team for granted. Who do we think we are.....Dreadlock U. xsmiley_wix

millwoga1
October 26th, 2008, 08:39 PM
A lot of football left to play, too early to make statements like that

dungeonjoe
October 26th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Seeds are decided first, then it goes to bids. So a seed is needed to guarantee you play at home.
Don't confuse me with the facts, I am on a roll!!!xthumbsupx

woffordgrad94
October 26th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I am not taking anyone for granted. I am expressing the importance of winning each and every game, including ASU. Therefore, I am stressing exactly why we CAN'T take anyone for granted.

The playoff committee has no conspiracies going on...unless you count wanting to make the maximum amount of money possible as a conspiracy. I know they have nothing personal against Wofford. Smaller schools with lower attendance simply have to win more to get home playoff games, period.

In fact, if we were to lose TWO more, they'd probably leave us out altogether.

Eight Legger
October 26th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Why wouldn't you guys host SC State in the first round if things fall that way? Seems natural enough. And this time, their band would have to play for themselves, not for you guys!xthumbsupx

BestOfBreed
October 26th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I could care less as long as the Terriers get in. They play better on the road anyway.

BestOfBreed
October 26th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Why wouldn't you guys host SC State in the first round if things fall that way? Seems natural enough. And this time, their band would have to play for themselves, not for you guys!xthumbsupx

I thought about that after seeing the Hampton game score but unless Wofford is a seed SC State would outbid them.... so Wofford @ SC State.

FCS Go!
October 26th, 2008, 08:51 PM

I'm guessing that SC State has a much bigger draw than Wofford. Wofford needs a seed to get home games... unless they play a team with no fans....xwhistlex

appirishmen
October 26th, 2008, 08:53 PM

i agree. The Socon is now btw Wofford and App. This game is not only big for yall, its really big for us. Wofford will be our biggest test yet. I hope since its at home we will have a slight edge. i hope to keep our home streak to one lose in the past 30 ish games. I like to take things one game at a time because the way the past few years have been, anything can happen!

woffordgrad94
October 26th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I thought about that after seeing the Hampton game score but unless Wofford is a seed SC State would outbid them.... so Wofford @ SC State.

Why would they outbid us? I have been to Wofford games at SC State and their attendance is not much better than Wofford's if it is better at all. Is it the whole public school-private school thing? I know last year we outbid Richmond, but they're another private school.

FCS Go!
October 26th, 2008, 09:09 PM
2007 Attendence Avg per NCAA-

SC State 13,205
Wofford 8,344

BestOfBreed
October 26th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Why would they outbid us? I have been to Wofford games at SC State and their attendance is not much better than Wofford's if it is better at all. Is it the whole public school-private school thing? I know last year we outbid Richmond, but they're another private school.

They had 17,159 at the game yesterday so unless they play a seed (which they probably will) then they have a good shot at a home game.

woffordgrad94
October 26th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Maybe I went there on some down nights...perhaps they're not interested in games vs. Wofford...or, more likely, perhaps I simply underestimated their attendance.

BestOfBreed
October 26th, 2008, 09:22 PM
If they did play at Wofford in the playoffs it would be packed. Up there with Furman's New Kids on the Block attendance record for Paladin Stadium.

KiddBrewer
October 26th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Seeds are decided first, then it goes to bids. So a seed is needed to guarantee you play at home.

or if the name of your university/college contains the words "Appalachian" AND "State".................xcoffeex xthumbsupx :D

just kidding.

Eight Legger
October 26th, 2008, 10:18 PM
The bidding process is a complete crapshoot, even though the NCAA would have us believe it is all about the mighty dollar. In reality, they pull whatever strings they want to put the game wherever they want it. Our AD told us last year that Wofford got the home game against us despite bids being similar or equal because of "student welfare" issues since they had played a road game at Montana and we had hosted a game. So go figure. I think we all know who will be getting home games in the first round...

matfu
October 26th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I could care less as long as the Terriers get in. They play better on the road anyway.

if furman wins out, including a win over wofford in spartanburg, our second home, where we have won at least three in a row, wofford may not be a top 4 seed even after they whip app state. the later a loss is in the season, the more it hurts you.