PDA

View Full Version : Rank the FCS Rivalries

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2008, 07:00 PM
If you could rank the top 5 current rivalries in FCS, what would they be? And also, share what you think are the top two or three rivalries in your conference...

My list...

1) Yale vs Harvard
2) Lehigh vs Lafayette
3) Montana vs Montana State
4) Grambling vs Southern
5) Appalachian State vs Western Carolina

Had a tough time with #5...considered quite a few other games...

Top rivalries in the Southland...

1) Battle of the Piney Woods - SHSU vs Stephen F. Austin
2) Chief Caddo - Stephen F. Austin vs Northwestern St
3) River Bell - Southeastern Louisiana vs Nicholls State
4) Battle for the Paddle - Nicholls State vs Texas State

Pard4Life
October 26th, 2008, 07:02 PM
1) Lafayette - Lehigh, no question...

TheValleyRaider
October 26th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Within the Patriot League

Lafayette-Lehigh is #1 by far

Colgate-Lehigh should get some love. Hasn't been the "Patriot League Championship Game" as it was for several years, but still good games and a solid matchup

Colgate also has rivalries with Bucknell and Holy Cross based on longevity of playing. Lafayette as well, I suppose, but Colgate having won 11 of the last 12 may put a damper on that...

crusader11
October 26th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I'm with you Valley. It's too bad there are not more rivalries in the PL aside from Lehigh vs. Lafayette. I guess the geography and location of many of the schools has something to do with that.

apaladin
October 26th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Appalachian and WCU rivalry has really gone south. It can't be a rivalry if one team dominates. I think I can speak for ASU in saying GSU and Furman are their most hated rivals.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM
1a. SU vs Gram (Bayou Classic)
b. AAMU vs Bama St(MCC, largest attended FCS game)
c.Famu vs Bethune(Florida Classic)
2.SU vs Jackson St
3. Yale vs Harvard
4.Famu vs Tenn St.
5.SU vs Famu

FCS Go!
October 26th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Come on guys, this is Harvard-Yale and then everybody else.

Griz-Kitties still top 5 though.;)

woffordgrad94
October 26th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I look forward to the day when Wofford can be mentioned in a thread like this.

carney2
October 26th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I'm with you Valley. It's too bad there are not more rivalries in the PL aside from Lehigh vs. Lafayette. I guess the geography and location of many of the schools has something to do with that.

One more time! The "visionaries" that run the Patriot League should schedule a rivalry weekend for the final weekend of the season. Bucknell-Colgate seems like a natural to me, but the Buffalos need to get their pigskin act together to make this happen. As for the others, 3 into 2 doesn't go, but all 3 are Roman Catholic institutions, and the rumor of league expansion persists. This isn't brain surgery.

apppackdad
October 26th, 2008, 07:48 PM
1. Lehigh-Lafayette.... Tradition + close games count.xnodx

2.Montana -Montana State.... The vitriol spread by this game is legendary.xmadx

3.Appalachian-Furman.... The importance and the crazy finishes are unparalled.xsmiley_wix

4.Yale-Harvard.... See 1 above and what else do they have?xreadx

5.Richmond-William@Mary.... I have seen this one up close and was amazed at what gut level hatred could come from well dressed yuppies full of large quantities of Virginia Gentleman!xeekx

crusader11
October 26th, 2008, 08:03 PM
One more time! The "visionaries" that run the Patriot League should schedule a rivalry weekend for the final weekend of the season. Bucknell-Colgate seems like a natural to me, but the Buffalos need to get their pigskin act together to make this happen. As for the others, 3 into 2 doesn't go, but all 3 are Roman Catholic institutions, and the rumor of league expansion persists. This isn't brain surgery.

I am inclined to think that HC and Colgate is more of a rival, currently, than Bucknell and Colgate. HC has played Colgate in the final game of both team's regular seasons for 3 straight years. Plus, both schools are in the two most northern teams in the League. The problem with Bucknell, in my opinion, is that they are the odd man out...Lehigh and Lafayette dominate Pennsylvania.

Bobcat94
October 26th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Terror you left off State and Sam.....

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Terror you left off State and Sam.....

It's got some length to it, but is it really a rivalry? I think the message board wars over the last few year plus the name change debate and the few years where SLC titles were on the line, were really some of the things that pushed it to another level, but until that point, was it really more than it was?

Franks Tanks
October 26th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I am inclined to think that HC and Colgate is more of a rival, currently, than Bucknell and Colgate. HC has played Colgate in the final game of both team's regular seasons for 3 straight years. Plus, both schools are in the two most northern teams in the League. The problem with Bucknell, in my opinion, is that they are the odd man out...Lehigh and Lafayette dominate Pennsylvania.

Lafayette- Bucknell is a good rivalry. Clearly 2nd to Lehigh, but still a long time and intense rival.

813Jag
October 26th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Bayou Classic (if you think people aren't there for the game talk to the losing fans (Grambling) after the game)
Lafayette/Lehigh
Harvard/Yale
Montana/Montana St.

millwoga1
October 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM
the citadel and furman. those guys hate each other

R.A.
October 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM
The one that the most people attend is the top rivalry...

TheValleyRaider
October 26th, 2008, 08:47 PM

I mention Bucknell mostly because of their tendency to play close games with Colgate, especially in Lewisburg. Both are certainly great long-time opponents

The real truth of it is, our archrival is Cornell, an out-of-conference opponent xtwocentsx

appirishmen
October 26th, 2008, 08:56 PM
i would have to say that App - GSU has become a big rivalrie. they games that i have seen the past few years have always been crazy no matter the rank. App- Furman is also a good one.

i dont know much about other schools so i post what i know.

HighRyder08
October 26th, 2008, 09:05 PM
everyone who plays ASU these days considers it a rivalry game

Mr. Tiger
October 26th, 2008, 09:10 PM
1a. SU vs Gram (Bayou Classic)
b. AAMU vs Bama St(MCC, largest attended FCS game)
c.Famu vs Bethune(Florida Classic)
2.SU vs Jackson St
3. Yale vs Harvard
4.Famu vs Tenn St.
5.SU vs Famu

I like your list. Jackson State-Tennessee State is pretty big.

blur2005
October 26th, 2008, 09:19 PM
1. Lafayette-Lehigh - it's the oldest rivalry and it always seems to be close no matter how good each team is.

2. Harvard-Yale - the only time the Yale Bowl is ever full because the two most well-known colleges in the country really don't like each other.

3. Montana-Montana State - probably the set of fans who hate each other the most of any rivalry.

4. Grambling-Southern - the Bayou Classic always has a very full house at the Superdome.

I think those four kind of stand above other rivalries.

Maroon&White
October 26th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I thought Harvard/Yale was an older rivalry, but Lafayette/ Lehigh played more?

TheValleyRaider
October 26th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I thought Harvard/Yale was an older rivalry, but Lafayette/ Lehigh played more?

143 meetings, first played in 1884, every year since 1897

Harvard-Yale started in 1875, but skipped some years, 124 total meetings

Maroon&White
October 26th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Wouldn't that make my statement/question correct?

TheValleyRaider
October 26th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Wouldn't that make my statement correct?

Yep, just filling in some of the details xthumbsupx

The "Continually Played since 1897" thing is also a big selling point for L/L xnodx

Maroon&White
October 26th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Ok, thanks for clarifying the details. xthumbsupx

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 26th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Speaking of the east only:
Harvard vs Yale
Lehigh vs Lafayette
Amherst vs Williams (oops, only D3, but still huge)

then all the rest, including UNH vs UMASS

YaleFootballFan
October 26th, 2008, 09:48 PM
143 meetings, first played in 1884, every year since 1897

Harvard-Yale started in 1875, but skipped some years, 124 total meetings

Plus Yale/Harvard isn't even the oldest rivalry in the Ivy League. Yale and Princeton have played each other 130 times.

Maroon&White
October 26th, 2008, 09:50 PM
ValleyRaider (or anyone else), do you know how often Lehigh & Lafayette played multiple times in the same year?

I know there were many years in the 19th and early 20th century where UMass played Amherst multiple times in the same season, obviously pushing up the total. In 1885 the two played 4 times (out of 6 games for Mass). I'd have to think it would be the same for two schools located so close to each other.

LehighFan11
October 26th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Harvard vs Yale
Lehigh vs Lafayette

Yea they got College Gameday to go there a few years ago. When is Gameday coming to Lehigh/Laf? :(

Bobcat94
October 26th, 2008, 10:25 PM
It's got some length to it, but is it really a rivalry? I think the message board wars over the last few year plus the name change debate and the few years where SLC titles were on the line, were really some of the things that pushed it to another level, but until that point, was it really more than it was?

More so than Nic St and State. Nic State and State just "recently" came around Just because a game gets canceled and now there is a trophy to remember the flood, doesnt make it a rivalry. I really think SAM and State is bigger.

MaximumBobcat
October 26th, 2008, 10:33 PM
More so than Nic St and State. Nic State and State just "recently" came around Just because a game gets canceled and now there is a trophy to remember the flood, doesnt make it a rivalry. I really think SAM and State is bigger.

The game wasn't canceled, it was played on a flooded field.

http://pride-traditions.ua.txstate.edu/campus-traditions/battle-for-the-paddle.html

This is the 10th anniversary.

GO CATS!

gsu1moretime
October 26th, 2008, 10:37 PM
gsu vs furman
gsu vs app

always a fun rival game...

GATA
October 26th, 2008, 10:55 PM
everyone who plays ASU these days considers it a rivalry game

I'd agree with that. It comes with being back-to-back-to-back champions.
And don't think that the the intensity is gonna die down after you stop winning championships...the hate never really goes away.

MSUBear42
October 26th, 2008, 10:57 PM
The closest FCS to us is SIU I think (Central Ark is about the same distance) so I'll go with them even though their fans probably don't feel the same.

carney2
October 26th, 2008, 11:13 PM
ValleyRaider (or anyone else), do you know how often Lehigh & Lafayette played multiple times in the same year?

I know there were many years in the 19th and early 20th century where UMass played Amherst multiple times in the same season, obviously pushing up the total. In 1885 the two played 4 times (out of 6 games for Mass). I'd have to think it would be the same for two schools located so close to each other.

Lafayette and Lehigh played multiple games in 18 different years. There were multiple games every year from 1884 thru 1901 (except 1896 when no games were played) and then again in 1944 because WWII travel restrictions made scheduling more distant games difficult. Three games were played in November of 1891, the only time that more than two games were played in one year.

GannonFan
October 26th, 2008, 11:22 PM
UD/nova - just sheer, unadulterated, hatred. And I'm pretty sure the series is deadlocked even in close to 50 matchups. Almost the definition of what a rivalry is.

Casey_Orourke
October 26th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Since Portland State in the only FCS team on Oregon, we don't have any in state rivalry, I would have to satyif we have a rivalry with anybody, it would have to be with Montana...if you are goning to have a rivalry, make it with one of the bestxnodx

crunifan
October 27th, 2008, 12:26 AM
UNI's biggest rival in the MVC is definitely SIU. I would say Youngstown State and now NDSU are our other big games.

JALMOND
October 27th, 2008, 12:58 AM
The city of Portland likes having "rivalries" with those that share a sport or a conference with us. Based on that, our biggest "rivalries" are probably Sacramento (Sac State, NBA and PCL) and Salt Lake City (Weber State, NBA and PCL). Spokane to a lesser extent (EWU and WHL) but its hard to downplay a "rivalry" between us and both Montana and Montana State. In our short history in the Big Sky, we have acquired some bad feelings towards both the Griz and Bobcats so those games are always good, regardless of the records.

ToTheLeft
October 27th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Liberty v. Coastal
Liberty v. VMI
Liberty v. Gardner-Webb
Liberty v. Presby
Yale v. Harvard

I think that's about it. :)

UNIFanSince1983
October 27th, 2008, 03:13 AM
UNI vs SIU is huge especially in recent years. I think NDSU will be another one of our big rivals just judging from what fans of each team are saying about the others on message boards.

Our old rival used to be Southwest Missouri State I always remember that being a big game when I was growing up.

MSUBear42
October 27th, 2008, 08:43 AM
UNI vs SIU is huge especially in recent years. I think NDSU will be another one of our big rivals just judging from what fans of each team are saying about the others on message boards.

Our old rival used to be Southwest Missouri State I always remember that being a big game when I was growing up.

Those UNI/MSU games were the best! We used to have "Panther Week" on campus. I wish our program would get back to where it was because that was an incredible rivalry.

appstate38
October 27th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Great thread- The only thing about it is, most of these rivalries are for the most part regional. Yes I would say that Harvard-Yale is maybe the biggest. But does anyboy in the BSC or SoCon really stop and take notice??? I don't know. As for the SoCon I don't know that we have any traditional rivals because everybody hates everybody else. That much is a given.

WileECoyote06
October 27th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Harvard - Yale
Southern - Grambling
Montana - Montana State
FAMU - Bethune Cookman
Alabama State vs Alabama A & M

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 09:51 AM
App fans look at the FU game as more of a rivalry than the WCU game... and traditionally the GSU game has meant more as well... in recent years the wofford game has been traditionally big as well just like this year...

grizband
October 27th, 2008, 10:35 AM
UD/nova - just sheer, unadulterated, hatred. And I'm pretty sure the series is deadlocked even in close to 50 matchups. Almost the definition of what a rivalry is.
The UD/Nova series is knotted at 20-20-1 through 41 matchups.

Pard94
October 27th, 2008, 10:58 AM
The UD/Nova series is knotted at 20-20-1 through 41 matchups.

41 matchups...that's cute. Now add 100 to that number and the UD/Nova rivalry will only be second to Lafayette vs. Lehigh. Just to put things in perspective.

ASU88
October 27th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I look forward to the day when Wofford can be mentioned in a thread like this.
You can take a big step toward that this Friday. Hope you don't. :)

GannonFan
October 27th, 2008, 11:55 AM
41 matchups...that's cute. Now add 100 to that number and the UD/Nova rivalry will only be second to Lafayette vs. Lehigh. Just to put things in perspective.

Well, if we're talking about perspective, do we get to include how relevant the teams are on a national scale as well? Not too many Lehigh/Lafayette matchups have had an impact FCS/I-AA/DII/Small College - wise. Just for perspective of course. :p

Go...gate
October 27th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Within the Patriot League

Lafayette-Lehigh is #1 by far

Colgate-Lehigh should get some love. Hasn't been the "Patriot League Championship Game" as it was for several years, but still good games and a solid matchup

Colgate also has rivalries with Bucknell and Holy Cross based on longevity of playing. Lafayette as well, I suppose, but Colgate having won 11 of the last 12 may put a damper on that...

Colgate - Holy Cross is a fine old rivalry. (Colgate 28, HC 37, 3 ties). Lafayette has been somewhat one-sided (CU 37, LC 10, 4 ties) but LC has broken through with a bang a couple of times. Colgate-Bucknell (I believe CU 40, BU 16 - can't remember the # of ties), but Bucknell has really broken our hearts a couple times, most notably 1996 in the PL title game.

LU also a great rivalry and my personal favorite of all Colgate PL rivalries - the game is terrific and close nearly every year - but it is a relatively new rivalry. We played them once in 1922 and did not play them again until 1960.

Go...gate
October 27th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Princeton-Yale also one of the biggest.

Appaholic
October 27th, 2008, 12:21 PM
After going to Missola and talking with Montana fans....

Montana vs. Montana St.

Hated rivals, but great group of supporters from both sides....

introvertedGSUfan
October 27th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Great thread- The only thing about it is, most of these rivalries are for the most part regional. Yes I would say that Harvard-Yale is maybe the biggest. But does anyboy in the BSC or SoCon really stop and take notice??? I don't know. As for the SoCon I don't know that we have any traditional rivals because everybody hates everybody else. That much is a given.

Haha, that's very true (the hating that is). I realize that GSU's rivalries haven't existed for tens of years, but our games with ASU and Furman are pretty intense.

chrisattsu
October 27th, 2008, 01:19 PM

The old timers would tell you that the SWT / Texas A&I game was THE game. However, I can tell you right now that student body has more interest in seeing us beat Sam or SFA more than any other school in our conference (except maybe UTSA in the other sports). As much as I would appreciate winning the paddle from Nicholls, I would take last week's thumping over SFA (or Sam) anyday.

I would say that it is a rivalry without a trophy. Which is kind of sad. If Texas State was not in the middle of their "Drive to FBS", I would love to see some kind of trophy implemented.

PS--Before Playstation's NCAA football discontinued FCS schools, Sam was listed as our rival.

gokats85
October 27th, 2008, 02:05 PM
SWT/A&I was a FAR bigger rivalry than SWT/SHSU. Since our moves to FCS, TSU-SM/SHSU has heated up, but it still pales in comparison to SFA/SHSU. Seething hatred between the Kats and the Jacks has gone on for years and years. The "Piney Woods Trophy" needs to stay in Huntsville where it belongs!

crunifan
October 27th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Those UNI/MSU games were the best! We used to have "Panther Week" on campus. I wish our program would get back to where it was because that was an incredible rivalry.

That's cool, because I hear stories of "Bear Week" up here. With TA I'm sure it won't be long before you guys are back. You have already made some big strides.

Pard94
October 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Well, if we're talking about perspective, do we get to include how relevant the teams are on a national scale as well? Not too many Lehigh/Lafayette matchups have had an impact FCS/I-AA/DII/Small College - wise. Just for perspective of course. :p

Well, I suppose the world will never know since the PL only started taking part in the the national playoffs within the last 7 years. Such are the repercussions when the institutes of higher learning actually pay attention to the learning aspect of the equation. Anyway...until you come out with your "FCS Football Program Historical Relevance Index" we'll just have to rely upon the facts. The facts are Delaware will play (and most likely lose) to Villanova for the 42nd time this year. After which the Delaware football players can go home and contemplate their relavancy. Lafayette will play (and most likely win) Lehigh for the 144th time this year. After which the Lafayette players will gear up for the playoffs. :p

Franks Tanks
October 27th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Well, I suppose the world will never know since the PL only started taking part in the the national playoffs within the last 7 years. Such are the repercussions when the institutes of higher learning actually pay attention to the learning aspect of the equation. Anyway...until you come out with your "FCS Football Program Historical Relevance Index" we'll just have to rely upon the facts. The facts are Delaware will play (and most likely lose) to Villanova for the 42nd time this year. After which the Delaware football players can go home and contemplate their relavancy. Lafayette will play (and most likely win) Lehigh for the 144th time this year. After which the Lafayette players will gear up for the playoffs. :p

I understand that in most years Delaware/Nova has more bearing on the FCS title hunt, but frankly barely anyone cares. Yes, Nova and Delaware fans and FCS junkies care, but this game draws few casual fans. Lafayette-Lehigh creates tremendous buzz in the area, even for non-football fans. Also it is more of an event then just a game because of the historical significance etc. The same can be said about Harvard-Yale or even Army-Navy. No bearing on the title hunt, but a great game that attracts many non-fans.

NDB
October 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM
UNI's biggest rival in the MVC is definitely SIU. I would say Youngstown State and now NDSU are our other big games.

spoken like a true putz.

(no harm intended, just trying to get the rivalry goin a little ;))

Maroon&White
October 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Well, I suppose the world will never know since the PL only started taking part in the the national playoffs within the last 7 years. Such are the repercussions when the institutes of higher learning actually pay attention to the learning aspect of the equation.

So the Patriot League teams have stopped paying attention to the learning aspect?

GannonFan
October 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM

Gee, only one post in and you already fall back to the "we care about the academics more than others" line. Hey, it's not the Patsy League for nothing! Although, one would think someone from such an institution of high reknown would have realized that schools from the PL, prior to the formation of the PL, did in fact play in the playoffs. Granted, none of those teams were Lafayette. I guess I would have to excuse you not knowing that since it was mainly Lehigh in the playoffs after they had handled Lafayette relatively easily back then. I guess you guys were studying then? xlolx

Pard94
October 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Gee, only one post in and you already fall back to the "we care about the academics more than others" line. Hey, it's not the Patsy League for nothing! Although, one would think someone from such an institution of high reknown would have realized that schools from the PL, prior to the formation of the PL, did in fact play in the playoffs. Granted, none of those teams were Lafayette. I guess I would have to excuse you not knowing that since it was mainly Lehigh in the playoffs after they had handled Lafayette relatively easily back then. I guess you guys were studying then? xlolx

Oh no...I was, in fact, aware of that. That's when we were busy playing in bowl games, competing in national championships and inventing the football helmet and huddle (does that count in your relvancy index?). I didn't realize you wanted to go back that far because, historically speaking, Delaware is a bunch of "Johnny Come Lately's". But thanks for opening up that door. Also, what did you guys do for that chunk of time that Villanova dropped football altogether? Seems to me that alone puts your rivalry in minor leagues.
xthumbsupx

GannonFan
October 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM
So the Patriot League teams have stopped paying attention to the learning aspect?

Hard to tell based upon recent playoff results I imagine. xlolx

Franks Tanks
October 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM

Yes we no longer require our athletes to attend class now that we participate in the playoffs.

GannonFan
October 27th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Oh no...I was, in fact, aware of that. That's when we were busy playing in bowl games, competing in national championships and inventing the football helmet and huddle (does that count in your relvancy index?). I didn't realize you wanted to go back that far because, historically speaking, Delaware is a bunch of "Johnny Come Lately's". But thanks for opening up that door. Also, what did you guys do for that chunk of time that Villanova dropped football altogether? Seems to me that alone puts your rivalry in minor leagues.
xthumbsupx

So you were last relevant when Temple was fielding competitive teams and playing in bowls as well? That certainly puts it into perspective, thanks. Now, back to those books!!! :p

Pard94
October 27th, 2008, 02:34 PM

Somewhat I suppose. But then again compared to Delaware we have plenty of room for compromise before we have to worry about it. Given that Harvard's academic cup runneth over you guys ought to take a lesson from the PL and convince your league to join the dance in November. I suspect the Ivy league would do way better than most give them credit for. And don't you strive to be considered relevant by Delaware alumni?

Grizaholic17
October 27th, 2008, 02:38 PM
http://www.umt.edu/_common/resources/imx/stories/45.jpg

The Griz-Cat game (Brawl of the Wild) is broadcast in every state and one of the oldest and the fans absolutely despise each other.

As mentioned, Harvard-Yale, Lehigh-Lafayette are very high in being known throughout the nation as well.

Pard94
October 27th, 2008, 02:44 PM
So you were last relevant when Temple was fielding competitive teams and playing in bowls as well? That certainly puts it into perspective, thanks. Now, back to those books!!! :p

Hey you opened the door to History not me. You can't slam it shut now simply because it is devasting to your argument. I'm just pointing out UofD's irrelvance in the GRAND scheme of things. Just to clarify...you guys do suck this year, correct? 3-5 correct? You talk smack like your team is worth a squirt of p*ss when in fact they are...(say it with me now) irrelevant.xnodx

MacThor
October 27th, 2008, 03:09 PM
C'mon folks. UR-W&M is the 4th-oldest rivalry in all of college football. Any schools that have played each other since the 19th century should make the list. :)

spiderman87
October 27th, 2008, 03:49 PM
i'd say richmond vs. jmu is beginning to make a good case the past few meetings...

Maroon&White
October 27th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Somewhat I suppose. But then again compared to Delaware we have plenty of room for compromise before we have to worry about it. Given that Harvard's academic cup runneth over you guys ought to take a lesson from the PL and convince your league to join the dance in November. I suspect the Ivy league would do way better than most give them credit for. And don't you strive to be considered relevant by Delaware alumni?

I'm pretty sure the CAA participates in the playoffs. At least last time I checked.

Oh, and what does Harvard have to do with Lafayette/Lehigh vs. UD/Nova?

GannonFan
October 27th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I'm pretty sure the CAA participates in the playoffs. At least last time I checked.

Oh, and what does Harvard have to do with Lafayette/Lehigh vs. UD/Nova?

Lafayette guys - they think it's them and the Ivies and nobody else. Imagine that, a team outside of those teams also having Maroon and White as colors. Patsy League, gotta love their pluck. xnodx

Go...gate
October 27th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Haha, that's very true (the hating that is). I realize that GSU's rivalries haven't existed for tens of years, but our games with ASU and Furman are pretty intense.

You guys get extra rivalry points, regardless of rivalry age, because you have the best uniforms in FCS. xthumbsupx

Go...gate
October 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Ouch. I love the PL and Ivy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the Hen and Wildcat students and players can read and write pretty well themselves. Both are fine schools.

cats2506
October 27th, 2008, 04:06 PM
http://www.umt.edu/_common/resources/imx/stories/45.jpg

The Griz-Cat game (Brawl of the Wild) is broadcast in every state and one of the oldest and the fans absolutely despise each other.

As mentioned, Harvard-Yale, Lehigh-Lafayette are very high in being known throughout the nation as well.

It's Cat/griz dumba$$, always has been, get it right xsmiley_wix

crusader11
October 27th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Ouch. I love the PL and Ivy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the Hen and Wildcat students and players can read and write pretty well themselves. Both are fine schools.

Villanova is not even comparable to UD. 'Nova is another another level, to be frank about it. Delaware is an okay school, but, more than anything, it is just another state school (similar to UCONN and UMASS).

You could throw Villanova into the same category as Holy Cross, Boston College, Notre Dame, etc. (maybe a bit less).

GannonFan
October 27th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Villanova is not even comparable to UD. 'Nova is another another level, to be frank about it. Delaware is an okay school, but, more than anything, it is just another state school (similar to UCONN and UMASS).

You could throw Villanova into the same category as Holy Cross, Boston College, Notre Dame, etc. (maybe a bit less).

However, the actual majors at schools are often what matters, hence why talking about schools in a general sense is pretty much opinion at best. I'll take a science degree (especially chemistry or chemical engineering) at UD and put it against any other school out there. Oh, and my wife is a graduate of villanova and is also an advocate of how blind opinions about schools greatly exagerate the actual education recieved at a school. But, this is pretty dry for a football board. xreadx

Grizaholic17
October 27th, 2008, 04:16 PM
It's Cat/griz dumba$$, always has been, get it right xsmiley_wix

xcoffeex xcoffeex

crusader11
October 27th, 2008, 04:21 PM
However, the actual majors at schools are often what matters, hence why talking about schools in a general sense is pretty much opinion at best. I'll take a science degree (especially chemistry or chemical engineering) at UD and put it against any other school out there. Oh, and my wife is a graduate of villanova and is also an advocate of how blind opinions about schools greatly exagerate the actual education recieved at a school. But, this is pretty dry for a football board. xreadx

Agreed. And, it is also difficult comparing Universities to Liberal Arts schools. For instance, if you were to major in English or History at a liberal arts school you have the ability to search for a job in a myriad of different fields. However, majoring in Business or Chemistry at a University somewhat limits you to the field of work.

Again, this is comparing apples to oranges in a sense.

Maroon&White
October 27th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Agreed. And, it is also difficult comparing Universities to Liberal Arts schools. For instance, if you were to major in English or History at a liberal arts school you have the ability to search for a job in a myriad of different fields. However, majoring in Business or Chemistry at a University somewhat limits you to the field of work.

Again, this is comparing apples to oranges in a sense.

What about majoring in English or History at a university? Or chemistry or business at a liberal arts school?

crusader11
October 27th, 2008, 04:33 PM
What about majoring in English or History at a university? Or chemistry or business at a liberal arts school?

Well, many liberal arts schools do not offer business as a major. There is economics, but not business. And, I do agree with your point; it really depends on the major itself. There are some majors that are just so pinpointed at a certain field.

One thing I noticed when looking at schools was that at bigger Universities they had majors such as Journalism, whereas at the liberal arts schools they usually only had English (you would have to do a concentration in Journalism).

With all the great things going to a small, liberal arts school has to offer, the one downside is that, unlike a bigger University, they do not have as many majors. Anyways, so how 'bout those rivalries...

WCU LawCat
October 27th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I have a feeling the App Western rivalry is about to heat back up...has not really lost its bite on the Western side.

App fans say they have lost interest in the rivalry until they loose a game...then they call for Jerry Moore's head...then they win 3 national titles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT6-5RMIPKU

already123
October 27th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Depends on what you like IMO...overall atmosphere I am inclined to go with Grambling/Southern...tradition tells us that Harvard/Yale wins by far...pure good ol fashioned hatred you've GOT to go with the Cat/Griz game!

redbirdtim
October 27th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Harvard-Yale, Lehigh-Lafayette, and the Brawl of the Wild.

For ISU, our biggest rivalries right now are SIU and EIU. Game vs EIU has been going on for about a century.

813Jag
October 27th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I continue to cast my vote for the Classic, mainly because I think people don't realize how deep the feelings run. Yes it has the bands and the atmosphere of New Orleans , but that matchup draws well no matter the sport. I know Grambling fans that will go to Southern games just to see them lose. How many people can say that? Hell, I saw Grambling's Coach at the time (Spears) at a Southern basketball after the Classic. You can't avoid the interaction with their fans. Also two of the Greatest ever at Grambling (Coach Rob and Doug Williams) are from the Baton Rouge area.

smcwildcat
October 27th, 2008, 10:39 PM
what about UNH Umass?...any agreed
hated fans, players, coaches and the stupid guys who set off the cannons

ASU33
October 27th, 2008, 10:40 PM
1.Alabama State vs Alabama A&M(The Magic City Classic) The largest game in FCS!
2. Southern vs Grambling (The Bayou Classic)
3. Southern vs Jackson Statexeekx xeekx xeekx
4. Florida A&M vs Buthune-Cookman
5. Tennessee State vs Jackson State

next five

6. NC A&T vs NC Central (Aggie-Eagle Classic)
7. Tennessee State vs Florida A&M (The Atlanta football Classic
8. Norfolk St vs Hampton (Battle by The Bay)
9. App. State vs Furman xthumbsupx xthumbsupx
10.Montana State vs Montanaxbowx

crusader11
October 27th, 2008, 11:08 PM

next five

What?

Silenoz
October 27th, 2008, 11:16 PM

next five

!

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 28th, 2008, 03:16 AM
What?

If we are going by attendence, fan interest, media coverage, tradition, and amount of tailgaters @ games, these are the best rivialrys. The truth hurts. :)

Pard94
October 28th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Lafayette guys - they think it's them and the Ivies and nobody else. Imagine that, a team outside of those teams also having Maroon and White as colors. Patsy League, gotta love their pluck. xnodx

That's rich...the guy basing his entire argument on how Delaware is more relavant than all others is calling me self centered. You better hope hope UofD is able to stem their apparent "circling of the bowl" or your just another mediocre state school...in the smallest (dare I say irrelevant) state in the union. At any rate, best of luck with the rest of the season. Here's hoping you achieve .500. With any luck Nova doesn't beat you by more than 3 touchdowns.

Hey Maroon and White, sorry for the mix up. I thought I had seen you advocating for Harvard somwehere in another thread. I've confused you with someone else.

Franks Tanks
October 28th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Well, many liberal arts schools do not offer business as a major. There is economics, but not business. And, I do agree with your point; it really depends on the major itself. There are some majors that are just so pinpointed at a certain field.

One thing I noticed when looking at schools was that at bigger Universities they had majors such as Journalism, whereas at the liberal arts schools they usually only had English (you would have to do a concentration in Journalism).

With all the great things going to a small, liberal arts school has to offer, the one downside is that, unlike a bigger University, they do not have as many majors. Anyways, so how 'bout those rivalries...

Very good points. Those majors that are so precise are not always the best path IMO. If you know you really want to work in a Police lab then by all means major in Computer and Digital Forensics. It will prepare you well for that specific field, but what if the market sours in that industry. What if the major you choose at 18 no longer applies or interests you at 30. Yes you still have a degree and skills, but they are very focused down one path and it may be difficult to change careers later in life.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 28th, 2008, 10:35 AM
If we are going by attendence, fan interest, media coverage, tradition, and amount of tailgaters @ games, these are the best rivialrys. The truth hurts. :)

Most of them are not "feeling" you dude.

Ivytalk
October 28th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Come on guys, this is Harvard-Yale and then everybody else.

Griz-Kitties still top 5 though.;)

Reppies for you!:D

griz&beer
October 28th, 2008, 12:43 PM
The Montana Grizzlies vs Bozeman State Bobcats. This game is nuts no love at all. If you could put 50K seats in it would still be hard to get a ticket. Wright now seats are $200 and higher. It gets nasty and the a -holes come out in numbers.(MSU fans) WA Griz & Missoula are electric and non stop Friday night to Sunday morning.

GSUhooligan
October 28th, 2008, 01:09 PM
That's rich...the guy basing his entire argument on how Delaware is more relavant than all others is calling me self centered. You better hope hope UofD is able to stem their apparent "circling of the bowl" or your just another mediocre state school...in the smallest (dare I say irrelevant) state in the union. At any rate, best of luck with the rest of the season. Here's hoping you achieve .500. With any luck Nova doesn't beat you by more than 3 touchdowns.

Hey Maroon and White, sorry for the mix up. I thought I had seen you advocating for Harvard somwehere in another thread. I've confused you with someone else.

Apparently, they don't teach geography at your uppity school.

Silenoz
October 28th, 2008, 01:16 PM

I don't see how 20 year old rivalries ala Tennessee State vs Jackson State can touch UM-MSU. And Furman isn't even App's main rival.

Franks Tanks
October 28th, 2008, 01:30 PM

Its called dramatic license

CrazyCat
October 28th, 2008, 01:53 PM
The Montana Grizzlies vs Bozeman State Bobcats. This game is nuts no love at all. If you could put 50K seats in it would still be hard to get a ticket. Wright now seats are $200 and higher. It gets nasty and the a -holes come out in numbers.(MSU fans) WA Griz & Missoula are electric and non stop Friday night to Sunday morning.

There are "A-holes" from both sides, don't ya think xeyebrowx

xlolx
"I'm reading all of these articles from the past 100 years and it seems like there is a fight in every game, in the stands," Glenn said. "I don't know what it is about Cat-Griz. It's like the Hatfields and McCoys. It's incredible. I'm pretty sure alcohol is involved in that stuff."xlolx

Pard94
October 28th, 2008, 01:58 PM

RI may be smaller but it is far more relevant to ANY discussion than Delaware. Ever been to Delaware?

And just for the record...no, they don't teach Geography at Lafayette. Nor do they teach phonics or finger painting. Thanks for contributing though.

griz&beer
October 28th, 2008, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=CrazyCat;1177912]There are "A-holes" from both sides, don't ya think xeyebrowx

Yes. myself included.xrolleyesx but mostly Cat fan.xnodx

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 28th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I don't see how 20 year old rivalries ala Tennessee State vs Jackson State can touch UM-MSU. And Furman isn't even App's main rival. :) You picked 1 out of how many games. xlolx

Silenoz
October 28th, 2008, 05:39 PM
:) You picked 1 out of how many games. xlolx

?

If you mean, "why did I single out Tennessee State and Jackson State", I just grabbed an HBCU rivalry that isn't Southern-Grambling randomly from the list.

SwacFans
October 28th, 2008, 06:54 PM
The one that the most people attend is the top rivalry...

Well, if you go by that, then you have to consider GSU vs SU, JSU vs SU, or AAMU vs ASU

SwacFans
October 28th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Harvard - Yale
Southern - Grambling
Montana - Montana State
FAMU - Bethune Cookman
Alabama State vs Alabama A & M

How many usually attend FAMU vs BCC?

SpiderFan
October 28th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Not in any order:

Harvard-Yale
Richmond-W&M (oldest rivalry in the south)
Montana-Montana St.
Grambling-Southern

Appstate29
October 28th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Its called dramatic license

don't worry they don't teach geography or drama at Georgia Southern ;)

furman94
October 28th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Furman vs The Citadel
Furman vs Appalachian State
Furman vs Georgia Southern
Appalachian vs Western Carolina ( ehh... not so much :D)

Appstate29
October 28th, 2008, 07:39 PM
RI may be smaller but it is far more relevant to ANY discussion than Delaware. Ever been to Delaware?

And just for the record...no, they don't teach Geography at Lafayette. Nor do they teach phonics or finger painting. Thanks for contributing though.

I guess that depends on perspective. Delaware may not have that much going for it, but due to its incorporation laws, I'm much more interested in what happens there than RI. Not to take anything away from RI, Providence is a great city, buddy of mine got offered a job there.

rivalries, in no particular order, and all ones that I have seen or want to see:

ASU vs. WCU-owned
GSU vs. FU
Grambling vs. Southern
UM vs. MSU
Laf vs. Leh-especially since the Pards came to Boone in 2005, great team, great fans!
since i'm originally from Alabama, I think I would like to catch Alabama State-Alabama A&M at least once, but to be honest, I know next to nothing about the programs.

apppackdad
October 28th, 2008, 08:14 PM
SpiderFan, I'm not suprised that those not familiar with Bill@Mary-Richmond have not listed the game. Prior to my exposure I had no clue. However, once exposed I became a true believer. This is old school,deep down serious Tidewater stuff. I was amazed at what I saw and heard during my three experiences! I have only seen games in the 'Burg since an old college roommate who transferred to W&M after two years(family concerns), gave me my exposure. Still I was impressed with intensity and history of the rivalry. I suspect that UR views it about the same way,seeing the UR following at last years semis in Boone.

SU Jag
October 28th, 2008, 08:30 PM
?

If you mean, "why did I single out Tennessee State and Jackson State", I just grabbed an HBCU rivalry that isn't Southern-Grambling randomly from the list.

I hate to break it to you but the Southern Heritage Classic is bigger tham UM/MSU!xnodx

SU Jag
October 28th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Southern vs Grambling
Alabama A&M vs Bama State
Harvard vs Yale
App State vs Furman
Georgia Southern vs App State
Southern vs Jackson State
Jackson State vs Tennessee State
Hampton vs Norfolk St.
Montana vs Montana State
FAMU vs Tennessee State

PaladinFan
October 28th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Furman v. Georgia Southern in my book. When you have two conference teams that have met not once, but twice in a national championship game you have the makings of some serious hate.

App State comes far in second in that running. I'd much rather beat the Eagles than the Mountaineers.

Silenoz
October 28th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I hate to break it to you but the Southern Heritage Classic is bigger tham UM/MSU!xnodx

Because it draws 50,000?

Our entire state waits all year for Brawl of the Wild. We have no profesional teams within hundreds of miles. We have no FBS. No DII. No DIII. Just this, and the hatred is unreal. I live in the middle of Bozeman, and this entire side of the state becomes downright vicious after the Bobcats get their asses kicked (on the nearly regular basis) by the Griz.

I'm not going to argue against Southern-Grambling, but I doubt the other HBCU games in your list match UM-MSU. Obviously this all very opinion-based, and I'm trying to not be a homer here.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Because it draws 50,000?

Our entire state waits all year for Brawl of the Wild. We have no profesional teams within hundreds of miles. We have no FBS. No DII. No DIII. Just this, and the hatred is unreal. I live in the middle of Bozeman, and this entire side of the state becomes downright vicious after the Bobcats get their asses kicked (on the nearly regular basis) by the Griz.

I'm not going to argue against Southern-Grambling, but I doubt the other HBCU games in your list match UM-MSU. Obviously this all very opinion-based, and I'm trying to not be a homer here.

When it comes to hatred SU vs Jackson St, or SU vs Famu can't be topped. The SU vs Famu series was cancelled because of things were going to far. Rocks and other things being thrown @ band busses, coaches not sending tapes, Famu selling SU fans 10,000 tickets and only letting in 1500 of them in the game, SU fans dancing on the rattlerhead and tearing down their goal post after SU's last victory in Tallyhoe, and Famu officials turning the water on the fans, and Famu throwing bombs with under 2 minutes left in the game while already leading 65-18. Its much more but I guess you can see the point. While SU vs Famu is bad, the SU vs Jackson St series is much worst. The 2 fan bases really hate each other. Im embarresd to name the things that have happen in this series xlolx .

Franks Tanks
October 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Because it draws 50,000?

I agree. Its not about how many people attend the game, but how important the game is to all those invloved, and the capacity to make non-fans care.

Jackson State and Tennessee State may be a big game that draws 50k, but are either teams season ruined if they lose. Is their year round smack talk between the two schools? I doubt it. This stuff takes place at

Lafayette-Lehigh
Havard-Yale
Montana- Montana State
Grambling- Southern (perhaps)
North Dakota- NDSU (of cousre defunt for right now)

These games define the season of the participants. People talk about the game all year, and people who go to one football game a year make it one of these games.

gjw007
October 28th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I agree. Its not about how many people attend the game, but how important the game is to all those invloved, and the capacity to make non-fans care.

These games define the season of the participants. People talk about the game all year, and people who go to one football game a year make it one of these games.

The UND-NDSU game will restart whether some NDSU or UND fans like it or not. For those who think they have rivalries, consider that this one in end could conceivably be mandated to compete yearly by the state as the interest in North Dakota and among alumni is that high.

Franks Tanks
October 28th, 2008, 09:07 PM
The UND-NDSU game will restart whether some NDSU or UND fans like it or not. For those who think they have rivalries, consider that this one in end could conceivably be mandated to compete yearly by the state as the interest in North Dakota and among alumni is that high.

I hope it restarts, it was a great rivalry. I once saw an NFL films doc about the game--great stuff.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 28th, 2008, 09:09 PM

Jackson State and Tennessee State may be a big game that draws 50k, but are either teams season ruined if they lose. Is their year round smack talk between the two schools? I doubt it. This stuff takes place at

xlolx xlolx Yall are funny. SO you think folks don't talk smack, and look foward to HBCU games all year.

cats2506
October 28th, 2008, 09:13 PM

how can anything called the "CLASSIC" be even clost to CAT/GRIZ

I live in a small town (by your standards) 130 miles from Bozeman and 300 miles from zoola, our schools (K - 12) has cat griz week, the kids wear their gear and do different things leading up to the game. families all across the state are know as "Cats" or "Griz". MSU got a new coach last year and this spring he was asked about Cat/Griz at a local booster function, he said that he had heard of the Cat/Griz rivalrie before he came here and that he had been apart of some big rivalries before but this was somthing else altogether, not a day goes by that the subject doesnt come up

Classic my @$$

ESG GCG and FTG

Mr. Tiger
October 28th, 2008, 09:14 PM
the SU vs Jackson St series is much worst. The 2 fan bases really hate each other. Im embarresd to name the things that have happen in this series xlolx .

I agree. I think there is more hate in this game than the Bayou Classic. The Bayou Classic ranks ahead of this game, but JSU-Southern is known for....how can I put this...unique environments and interesting developments on and off the field. xlolx

Franks Tanks
October 28th, 2008, 09:15 PM
xlolx xlolx Yall are funny. SO you think folks don't talk smack, and look foward to HBCU games all year.

Yes I do, but not every "classic" game elicits the same response. It is awesome that some of these games get such a great turnout but do fans from Jackson State really consider the Tennessee State game the make or break point of the season. If they do I am mistaken, but it just doesnt feel that way. Its pretty clear how passionate fans of some the other schools invloved in rivalries are toward the game, but I just dont see it in every one of these HBCU classics. Some of them yes, but not all are worthy of contending for best in FCS.

Skjellyfetti
October 28th, 2008, 09:15 PM
The rivalries between rivalries is clearly the best in FCS.

Appstate29
October 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM
When it comes to hatred SU vs Jackson St, or SU vs Famu can't be topped. The SU vs Famu series was cancelled because of things were going to far. Rocks and other things being thrown @ band busses, coaches not sending tapes, Famu selling SU fans 10,000 tickets and only letting in 1500 of them in the game, SU fans dancing on the rattlerhead and tearing down their goal post after SU's last victory in Tallyhoe, and Famu officials turning the water on the fans, and Famu throwing bombs with under 2 minutes left in the game while already leading 65-18. Its much more but I guess you can see the point. While SU vs Famu is bad, the SU vs Jackson St series is much worst. The 2 fan bases really hate each other. Im embarresd to name the things that have happen in this series xlolx .

only HBCU fans would throw rocks at the BANDS bus xlolx xlolx :D :D :D :D

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 28th, 2008, 10:09 PM
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2276623960050048379DfmXVR
This a viewing party in Dallas,Tx for the SU/Fam game. Things like this happen all over the country.

Big Dawg
October 28th, 2008, 10:59 PM
How many usually attend FAMU vs BCC?

FAMU vs BCU has led all of FCS in attendance in recent years...last year the MCC topped it becuase FAMU and BCU were struggling...but the Florida Classic still put 65,000+ in the Citrus Bowl

ngineer
October 28th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I understand that in most years Delaware/Nova has more bearing on the FCS title hunt, but frankly barely anyone cares. Yes, Nova and Delaware fans and FCS junkies care, but this game draws few casual fans. Lafayette-Lehigh creates tremendous buzz in the area, even for non-football fans. Also it is more of an event then just a game because of the historical significance etc. The same can be said about Harvard-Yale or even Army-Navy. No bearing on the title hunt, but a great game that attracts many non-fans.

Additionally, the 'buzz' is national as alumni from both schools gather nationwide at various restaurants, clubs, etc. to see/listen to the game together, and many travel from all four corners to attend this event. There is no rivalry where the intensity is so great in the FCS. Army/Navy in the FBS is the only equivalent.

Big Dawg
October 28th, 2008, 11:09 PM

next five

Where is FAMU vs. Southern...I guarantee if we wouldn't taken a break, this game would still be at the top

Big Dawg
October 28th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Yes I do, but not every "classic" game elicits the same response. It is awesome that some of these games get such a great turnout but do fans from Jackson State really consider the Tennessee State game the make or break point of the season. If they do I am mistaken, but it just doesnt feel that way. Its pretty clear how passionate fans of some the other schools invloved in rivalries are toward the game, but I just dont see it in every one of these HBCU classics. Some of them yes, but not all are worthy of contending for best in FCS.

EVERY "classic" game is not great, however there are those games that have history. The Florida Classic, The Bayou Classic, The Magic City Classic, The Southern Heritage, and Atlanta Classic have history. Also those games involve some of the greatest HBCU football programs in history with some of the best fan bases in FCS.

griz&beer
October 28th, 2008, 11:31 PM

I live in a small town (by your standards) 130 miles from Bozeman and 300 miles from zoola, our schools (K - 12) has cat griz week, the kids wear their gear and do different things leading up to the game. families all across the state are know as "Cats" or "Griz". MSU got a new coach last year and this spring he was asked about Cat/Griz at a local booster function, he said that he had heard of the Cat/Griz rivalrie before he came here and that he had been apart of some big rivalries before but this was somthing else altogether, not a day goes by that the subject doesnt come up

Classic my @$$

ESG GCG and FTG

Even though I hate this guy and he probably is a jerk. Listen to him he is wright and you other people are wrong.xthumbsupx Montana vs Montana State is THE Rivalry Game! xbowx End of story.

lol I don't realy hate you.

Big Dawg
October 28th, 2008, 11:42 PM

That makes no sense...I know UM/MSU is HUGE up there but seriously...besides the game is SERIOUS when fans only refer to it as "The Classic"...lol

bshgriz
October 28th, 2008, 11:42 PM
1. MS.U vs. UM

WileECoyote06
October 29th, 2008, 12:19 AM

next five

6. NC A&T vs NC Central (Eagle-Aggie Classic)

I'm glad someone recognizes us. When you get over 20K+ fans for schools with a combined two wins between them (A & T - 2,NCCU - 0), the rivalry must be fierce.

griz&beer
October 29th, 2008, 12:21 AM
1. MS.U vs. UM

LoLxlolx

813Jag
October 29th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Lafayette-Lehigh
Havard-Yale
Montana- Montana State

JSU-TSU and SU-FAMU fit this description to a tee. Bad blood? got it. Close games? got it. Seasons thrown off track by a loss? got it. A point that gets missed is that these games have been played before a classic name was put on it. And most of these games have always been nonconference games. How many FCS rivalries can say that?

Franks Tanks
October 29th, 2008, 07:43 AM
EVERY "classic" game is not great, however there are those games that have history. The Florida Classic, The Bayou Classic, The Magic City Classic, The Southern Heritage, and Atlanta Classic have history. Also those games involve some of the greatest HBCU football programs in history with some of the best fan bases in FCS.

Excatly. Many of the HBCU rivalries are great long standing contests. Other "classics" pit two teams that have only marginal history together.

Grizaholic17
October 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Even though I hate this guy and he probably is a jerk. Listen to him he is wright and you other people are wrong.xthumbsupx Montana vs Montana State is THE Rivalry Game! xbowx End of story.

We could go on and on about this. You have to look at it in terms of categories. As far as tradition is concerned, Yale-Harvard and Lafayette-Lehigh are top spot no question.
But as far as intense rivalry goes, MSU/UM is by far the top. One has to be close to Montana to understand the intensity of this game.
Article On Cat/Griz (http://www.missoulian.com/specials/UM-MSU100/C3.html)

cats2506
October 29th, 2008, 01:38 PM

Like all griz ....... you suck xsmiley_wix

and I'm right, not wright, some of that dUMb lerning you got

Grizzaholic
October 29th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Like all griz ....... you suck xsmiley_wix

and I'm right, not wright, some of that dUMb lerning you got

You cannot give him too hard of a time, he was a transfer student from MSU-Billings.

813Jag
October 29th, 2008, 02:38 PM
We could go on and on about this. You have to look at it in terms of categories. As far as tradition is concerned, Yale-Harvard and Lafayette-Lehigh are top spot no question.
But as far as intense rivalry goes, MSU/UM is by far the top. One has to be close to Montana to understand the intensity of this game. Article On Cat/Griz (http://www.missoulian.com/specials/UM-MSU100/C3.html)
This statement can be applied to most games discussed in this thread.

Monte Madness
October 29th, 2008, 03:40 PM
The UM/MSU rivalry is certainly one of the longest in the nation (over 100 years old). But, questions like this are ridiculous, because all rivalries are seen through the eyes of the beholder. No fan who is not close to the UM/MSU rivalry could possibly understand it's significance. Likewise, we can not begin to understand something like Harvard/Yale, etc.

GSUhooligan
October 29th, 2008, 04:36 PM

That is where Lehigh/Lafayette falls short in comparison to the HBCU rivalries, Montana/MSU and Harvard/Yale. If the game wasn't an answer to a trivia question, no one outside your section of PA would care.

Grizaholic17
October 29th, 2008, 04:43 PM
This statement can be applied to most games discussed in this thread.

That being said, this was one of the only FCS rivalries included in the NCAA 2009 video game. xrolleyesx

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2008, 04:43 PM
That is where Lehigh/Lafayette falls short in comparison to the HBCU rivalries, Montana/MSU and Harvard/Yale. If the game wasn't an answer to a trivia question, no one outside your section of PA would care.

I would say a lot more people than just PA care considering NJ, NY, DE, MD are full of LU/LC alums. There are groups throughout the USA that gather to watch the game as well. Lehigh/Lafayette is just as big as MSU/Montana when it comes to national appeal. Nothing can touch Harvard/Yale IMO.

Walkon79
October 29th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Harvard vs Yale
Lehigh vs Lafayette

A couple other posters should clarify by saying "east only"

Cat/Griz the oldest rivalry in any division west of the Mississippi!!

105 and counting!!

813Jag
October 29th, 2008, 08:58 PM
That being said, this was one of the only FCS rivalries included in the NCAA 2009 video game. xrolleyesx
I wasn't downing anybodys game but if you want to put it that way who was the one of first I-AA on rivalries the NCAA football series?

Grizaholic17
October 30th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I wasn't downing anybodys game but if you want to put it that way who was the one of first I-AA on rivalries the NCAA football series?

I was kidding. hence the sarcasm. :D

Rivalries are special to whom ever they affect.

T-Dog
October 30th, 2008, 02:53 AM
It's too hard to rank them. It's better to group them.

You got the old school northeast rivalries like Harvard/Yale, Lehigh/Lafayette and such which are about the history and tradition.

You have the HBCU "Classics" like the Bayou Classic, the Magic City Classic and such which are just as much spectacle as anything, plus they draw the biggest crowds. And the two sides hate each other. Great ingredients for rivalries.

You have the Southland rivalries like the Battle for the Paddle and The Battle of the Piney Woods which are good old deep south slugfests.

You have the SoCon rivalries like the Battle of the Old Mountain Jug, the Battle of the Upstate (Wofford/Furman) and such which are newer rivalries and always produce a national title contender or two.

You have CAA rivalries like JMU/UR, UD/Nova, UNH/UMass and such which are unique in that they are all different in their own ways.

You have the Gateway/MVC rivalries like YSU/UNI, plus with the news additions of NDSU/SDSU and other combos, it freshens up the heat and has ushered in a new era of rivalries in the Midwest.

Then out west, honestly it's The Brawl of the Wild and then everyone else. That game has a bit of everything, tradition, history, hatred, much at stake. Easily the best rivalry west of the Mississippi.

I know I'm missing some like the OVC, but I'm not familiar enough with it to give a good opinion about it.

I'm not going to pick one over the other. All that I'll say is that in my opinion, Army/Navy is the best rivalry in all of college football.

mrklean
October 30th, 2008, 04:46 AM

GSU vs. APP State (hard Hitting game)xthumbsupx xthumbsupx
GSU vs. Furman (need I say more)xthumbsupx