PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Bourne of JAMES MADISON...Do NOT Make Me Laugh Anymore!

PIRATETIZED1
November 9th, 2005, 01:17 PM
b

bandl
November 9th, 2005, 01:20 PM
DAILY-NEWS RECORD ONLINE

JMU Wants UMass Field Inspected Posted 2005-10-13

Because of heavy rain in Massachusetts, the Dukes fear the field might be unplayable this weekend.

By Mike Barber

Heading into perhaps its biggest football game of the season, James Madison isn’t about to let its opponent decide if the game should or should not be moved because of a wet field.

JMU athletic director Jeff Bourne on Tuesday asked Atlantic 10 commissioner Linda Bruno to travel to Massachusetts to determine if the grass surface at McGuirk Alumni Stadium in Amherst is playable.

Bruno and coordinator of football officials Jim Maconaghy plan to travel to UMass on Friday, assistant commissioner Ray Cella said Wednesday.

Bourne said a decision is expected by noon Friday.

"We feel like it’s in the best interest of the league that an objective third party make a ruling," Bourne said.

UMass officials are reluctant to move the game in part of because the school’s homecoming is scheduled for Saturday, but heavy rain has caused flooding in the Amherst area and Bourne said he has no way of knowing what shape the field is in.

"We can’t and we would not know until we arrived there," Bourne said. "As an institution, we would prefer that would come from a third party. That way it takes both schools out of the decision and puts it objectively in the hands of the conference."

JMU coach Mickey Matthews said it’s only fair that an unbiased decision be made.

Keeping the game on grass would prevent speedy JMU from gaining the edge it would have if the contest were moved to a nearby artificial-turf field.

The game pits the only two teams undefeated in A-10 play. Both squads also are ranked nationally. JMU (4-1 overall, 2-0 in the league) is No. 4 in The Sports Network’s Division I-AA poll and Massachusetts (4-1, 2-0) is No. 13.

"My position has been since Monday that an independent arbitrator needed to make the decision," Matthews said. "Not James Madison. And not UMass. There’s too much at stake for someone who has a prejudice to be involved in the decision."

UMass athletic director John McCutcheon said he doesn’t blame JMU for wanting a third party to make the call.

"I think you want someone with a little more neutral pair of eyes," McCutcheon said. "If I were on JMU’s side, I’d do the same thing."

McCutcheon said the school has "an alternative site identified" but declined to say where it was.

Cella said the site was Springfield College, which has an artificial turf. If the game is moved, kickoff would be pushed back from noon to 6 p.m. That change would endanger the CN8 television broadcast of the game, Cella said. Locally, the game would be shown on WAZT.

Matthews said neither team would gain an advantage by the move, even though UMass is used to playing on natural grass while JMU’s speed-defense was built for the turf at Bridgeforth Stadium.

He said the fact that Massachusetts has homecoming scheduled for Saturday should not be a factor in the decision.

"We proved last year we could win on grass and they proved they could win on turf," Matthews said. "I think it will be really sad if we have two good football teams playing on a unplayable field just because its homecoming."

Cella said in his nine years with the conference, he can’t remember the league ever being asked to decide the suitability of a playing field.

Saturday’s Delaware-Richmond game was moved from Newark, Del., to Richmond because of heavy rains in Delaware, but Cella said the two schools mutually agreed to move the game.

The Dukes have experience playing on bad surfaces. They won the Division I-AA championship last season at Finley Stadium at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga that had just been re-sodded. The grass didn’t take and the field pulled apart in big chunks during JMU’s 31-21 win over Montana.

"We’re not doing Chattanooga again," Bourne said.

Because of homecoming, UMass assistant sports information director John Sinnett said the school does not want to move the game if it can be avoided.

"It’s going to take an act of God," Sinnett said Wednesday. "We’d build an arc before we move this game."

Sinnett said the field was covered with a tarp Tuesday and Wednesday.

Matthews said his team will be ready to play, day or night, grass or turf.

"Our [practice] field is sloppy," Matthews said. "We practiced in the mud all week and we’ll practice in the mud again [today]."
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Well I thought for sure, a member of AGS.com would have posted this article to show want J.Bourne is doing a day or 2 after chatting about Hampton's WEAK schedule AND Admitting he cancelled a deal (all but done) to play Hampton. It's NOT happening, 'cause he does not want his 2004 (FEARLESS?) CHAMPION "Dukes" to have to TRAVEL ALL the Way from Harrisonburg, VA to HAMPTON, VA.!!!!!!

The above was mentioned only for those who chose to criticize Hampton's weak OOC schedule. What some you know, but others may not know is Hampton's Head Football Coach Joe Taylor is NOW A.D. at Hampton. Simply translated, If you team wants to play Hampton in a Home & Home series, and the details PLUS have same open dates....No Problem!

PIRATETIZED :cool:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”

"Hi....I'm a dead horse....can I come in for beating???"

:deadhorse

:bang:

This article was already posted...before the UMass game.

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Congratulations! You've won the award for the most illogical new topic post of the week!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Does this affect UMass' ability to possibly host a 1st round playoff game? Being that many progonsticators are hypothetically predicting Lehigh going to UMass in the 1st round, this could be a boost in Lehigh's hosting chances if UMass' turf is in such bad shape.

bandl
November 9th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Does this affect UMass' ability to possibly host a 1st round playoff game? Being that many progonsticators are hypothetically predicting Lehigh going to UMass in the 1st round, this could be a boost in Lehigh's hosting chances if UMass' turf is in such bad shape.

If Lehigh/UMass are matched up (but will someone please tell me, again, how they know this??? I'd like to know the winner of the Super Bowl please so I can bet everything I have on the game!!!), what if the weather is too cold?? Will they move the game further south??

It's football. The field shouldn't have anything to do with the decision of where to play the game.

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Here are excerpts from the more appropriate article, while many of his statements are true he comes across sounding slightly like a whiner for a defending National Champ:
"You can look at D-II wins, but you can also look at the strength of conferences, too," Matthews said. "There are some people winning some games in their conferences that are potentially Division II wins."

No. 2 Hampton is 9-0 playing in the weak-as-ever Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference. Monday, Matthews said JMU would be undefeated if it played in that league.

"Anyone who watched the Delaware State game would probably agree with that," Matthews said.

JMU, the defending I-AA champion, trounced Delaware State 65-7 on Sept. 17. Delaware State is now in third place in the MEAC at 4-2 in the league and has an overall record of 5-4. Hampton beat the Hornets 26-8 on Oct. 1.

"You just can’t compare the two leagues," Matthews said of the A-10 and the MEAC. "Look at what our score was with Delaware State and what they’ve done in that league over there. I’m sure Hampton has a good football team, but there’s just no comparing the two leagues."

An agreement in principle with Hampton to play next season fell apart when Hampton insisted on playing at home. JMU is already set to play at VMI on Sept. 30, part of a six-game series with the Keydets. Bourne wants the other two games next season to be home dates at Bridgeforth Stadium."

Hampton played at JMU last, so it is only fair that JMU play at Hampton next. I am not sure why this old article was posted, but this one is more fitting for recent discussions.

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Hampton played at JMU last, so it is only fair that JMU play at Hampton next. I am not sure why this old article was posted, but this one is more fitting for recent discussions.

Fairness has nothing to do with it. All over college sports, teams from weaker conferences usually have to go on the road repeated times if they want to get matchups with teams from better conferences.

If Hampton really wants to gain respect and step up, they should take an "anywhere, anytime" attitude for a couple of years. If it takes a 2-for-1, then so be it. Go win 2 games on the road.

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Fairness has nothing to do with it. All over college sports, teams from weaker conferences usually have to go on the road repeated times if they want to get matchups with teams from better conferences.

If Hampton really wants to gain respect and step up, they should take an "anywhere, anytime" attitude for a couple of years. If it takes a 2-for-1, then so be it. Go win 2 games on the road.
Perhaps, but they have pride, but now that the football coach is the AD, things may be changing up in the future.

th0m
November 9th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Of course JMU should return their game to Hampton, but they also want 6 home games. Kind of normal if you ask me.

Are Hampton fans already claiming that they can't seem to get quality OOC games because other teams are afraid to play them? If so, isn't that a compliment :p

But yeah, like Typical Tribe said, maybe take the anywhere, anytime attitude ;)

bandl
November 9th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Perhaps, but they have pride

No one can deny that...there is alot of pride that comes out of that school. That's a worthy attribute, IMO. It's just a shame that some (a select few is more like it) of the folks associated with HU take it to the extreme and seem to look for people to pin against a wall.

I am one of many from JMU who would LOVE to see a JMU/HU game every couple years. Maybe it'll happen if the AD can pull the right strings, eh?

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Of course JMU should return their game to Hampton, but they also want 6 home games. Kind of normal if you ask me.

Are Hampton fans already claiming that they can't seem to get quality OOC games because other teams are afraid to play them? If so, isn't that a compliment :p

But yeah, like Typical Tribe said, maybe take the anywhere, anytime attitude ;)
If it was last year they might have, but this year they have only 4 home games.

R.A.
November 9th, 2005, 01:48 PM
No one can deny that...there is alot of pride that comes out of that school. That's a worthy attribute, IMO. It's just a shame that some (a select few is more like it) of the folks associated with HU take it to the extreme and seem to look for people to pin against a wall.

I am one of many from JMU who would LOVE to see a JMU/HU game every couple years. Maybe it'll happen if the AD can pull the right strings, eh?

-Why don't you JMU fans just contact your ad and tell them to stop dodging Hampton at Armstrong.The article suggests that the Pirates have tried to make it happen, but JMU's not interested. A home and home is typical football procedure.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2005, 01:57 PM
If Lehigh/UMass are matched up (but will someone please tell me, again, how they know this??? I'd like to know the winner of the Super Bowl please so I can bet everything I have on the game!!!), what if the weather is too cold?? Will they move the game further south??

It's football. The field shouldn't have anything to do with the decision of where to play the game.

Oh yes it should. Ask anyone at the 2003 Chatty championship game as to home much of a black eye having the turf that all came loose.

The I-AA playoff committee wants to represent its product in the best light possible. If your field is in barely-playable condition, that should be a factor in deciding home games. If I'm a member of the committee, I'd sure as heck look at that.

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Oh yes it should. Ask anyone at the 2003 Chatty championship game as to home much of a black eye having the turf that all came loose.

The I-AA playoff committee wants to represent its product in the best light possible. If your field is in barely-playable condition, that should be a factor in deciding home games. If I'm a member of the committee, I'd sure as heck look at that.

UMass needs to beat Army and then Hofstra to sniff a home game, so let's not worry about it just yet.

bandl
November 9th, 2005, 02:10 PM

For those of us who played, the field has nothing to do with whether or not the game should be played. The only thing that the weather and field conditions ever changed was the game plan.

"Hey guys....the field is looking pretty wet & muddy out there....I don't know if I want to play today. Let's ask the coach if he can get us out of the game today." Uh....no. I'll just say that from a player's point of view, the condition of the field means squat...because BOTH teams have to play on the SAME field. Such was the case in Chatty.

I am part of the group that says play as it was meant to be played in the conditions you are given. But that's not all people, I understand that. My opinion won't change on the matter though

R.A.
November 9th, 2005, 02:12 PM
...doesn't Villanova own Hampton a visit too?

bandl
November 9th, 2005, 02:14 PM
-Why don't you JMU fans just contact your ad and tell them to stop dodging Hampton at Armstrong.The article suggests that the Pirates have tried to make it happen, but JMU's not interested. A home and home is typical football procedure.

Maybe they're not interested because they have a hard enough schedule, year in and year out, as it is?? Possible matchups every year against UNH, UD, UR, W&M, UMass, etc. The A-10 (whether or not it is the best conference in the nation or not) guarantees a brutal schedule every year. I'd take that as a compliment that JMU doesn't want another possible tough game!! :) But I really don't know their reason, I'm just speculating.

R.A.
November 9th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Maybe they're not interested because they have a hard enough schedule, year in and year out, as it is?? Possible matchups every year against UNH, UD, UR, W&M, UMass, etc. The A-10 (whether or not it is the best conference in the nation or not) guarantees a brutal schedule every year. I'd take that as a compliment that JMU doesn't want another possible tough game!! :) But I really don't know their reason, I'm just speculating.

-But you see how that hurts our conference? The last MAJOR PWC 1-AA program that I can remember to step foot on a MEAC campus is Maine. They came to Howard, and beat us 44-14... but they came.

bandl
November 9th, 2005, 02:26 PM
-But you see how that hurts our conference? The last MAJOR PWC 1-AA program that I can remember to step foot on a MEAC campus is Maine. They came to Howard, and beat us 44-14... but they came.

Yeah, I see how it hurts YOUR conference....but to each his own. You gotta watch out for your own first, don't worry about the others. JMU has their own conference to worry about.

But it's sorta like what Hampton did with their schedule this year, right?? It seems that the only way Hampton would gain a reasonable amount of respect this year (from some people, others will never be pleased) was to win every game...they did that, they got some respect, they are the first team in the playoffs, they could get a seed. They took care of their own first.

89Hen
November 9th, 2005, 02:44 PM
...doesn't Villanova own Hampton a visit too?
Not unless there's some contract out there with that stipulation. :confused:

GannonFan
November 9th, 2005, 02:46 PM

Didn't UMass go to Dover last year and beat the stuffing out of Del St? Heck, I think Southern Illinois did as well. That's two just from last year.

putter
November 9th, 2005, 02:56 PM
I guess Montana would be a PWS.
Predominently
White
State
:confused:

R.A.
November 9th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Didn't UMass go to Dover last year and beat the stuffing out of Del St? Heck, I think Southern Illinois did as well. That's two just from last year.

-That's true. I forgot DSU for a second. Thanks.

Umass74
November 9th, 2005, 03:53 PM
In the past, UMass has played FAMU, Delaware State, Morgan State and North Carolina Central.

I for one, would love a UMass game against Hampton, FAMU (I know they're down this year) or Grambling.

P.S.

The UMass field is fine. It was great for the UNH game. It will be freezing solid soon anyway and no one will have to worry. ;)

IaaScribe
November 9th, 2005, 05:11 PM

Well, Liberty's going to Norfolk State next week.

Oh, you said MAJOR PWC 1-AA program. :p

(Ducking for cover)

blukeys
November 9th, 2005, 07:06 PM
In the past, UMass has played FAMU, Delaware State, Morgan State and North Carolina Central.

I for one, would love a UMass game against Hampton, FAMU (I know they're down this year) or Grambling.

P.S.

The UMass field is fine. It was great for the UNH game. It will be freezing solid soon anyway and no one will have to worry. ;)

74 is right. The great swamp of Western Mass is not a problem in November/December. There is ample documentation of the problems UMass has had at it's stadium due to poor placement. Most of that documentation has come from Umass folks. I have been up there and the field is better later in the year.

UMass has about one mud bowl every 3 years. Folks need to get over this. Football is played in all conditions and I don't see the Umass field being a playoff issue.

R.A.
November 10th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Well, Liberty's going to Norfolk State next week.

Oh, you said MAJOR PWC 1-AA program. :p

(Ducking for cover)

:D My friend plays for Liberty. Lauren "L-Boogie" Williams... so you all have some major talent down there at the school.

R.A.
November 10th, 2005, 12:39 AM
First Hampton wants you for the Home Game at Armstrong.
Now SCSU just wants you on the schedule... any time any place.

-The so- called 2nd weakest conference in 1-AA football wants JMU to back all that talk'n up... What are yall going to do Dukes?

R.A.
November 10th, 2005, 03:33 AM
I didn't think it was a Smack... but I guess you're right.

th0m
November 10th, 2005, 06:04 AM
First Hampton wants you for the Home Game at Armstrong.
Now SCSU just wants you on the schedule... any time any place.

-The so- called 2nd weakest conference in 1-AA football wants JMU to back all that talk'n up... What are yall going to do Dukes?

If it fits in the schedule, I'm sure JMU will schedule you guys. Maybe there are other factors to two teams not meeting. The 'they-don't-wanna-play-us-because-they're-scared' argument always works. I'm guessing everybody just wants a shot at the defending National Champs when they're down. I know its hard for the MEAC to find a quality team to play, they certainly can't get it in conference (alright, now I guess this thread is ready for the smack boards :D )

bandl
November 10th, 2005, 07:15 AM
What are yall going to do Dukes?[/b]

Considering that most, if not all, of the JMU affiliates on this site have absolutely no pull concerning who JMU plays (other than annoying e-mails and phone calls to the AD, which anyone can do, including yourself if you want it so badly)....i'd say nothing. It's not up to us.

I'm sick of everyone bitching about this school not playing that school and blah blah blah. Fact is, there isn't much anyone can do about it in the immediate future.

Meet my dead horse. Now beat the living crap out of him.

bandl
November 10th, 2005, 07:18 AM
THEY REFUSE TO GIVE US HOME-AND-HOME SERIES.

You nailed it! I called up MM and JMU's AD and said "Don't you DARE schedule a H&H game with HU...you HAVE to REFUSE!!! We're scared of them!!"

Write letters, write e-mails, make phone calls....that's about all that anyone can do to make this sort of thing happen. I'd like to see it happen also, but I also stated my case earlier as to why I think it doesn't need to happen. If you want it so badly, do the leg work. Maybe in a few years MM or the AD will give in.

IaaScribe
November 10th, 2005, 12:42 PM
:D My friend plays for Liberty. Lauren "L-Boogie" Williams... so you all have some major talent down there at the school.

Lauren's good people. Unfortunately, he's been suspended for the rest of the season due to a violation of university rules (nothing illegal, racked up university-related demerits).

R.A.
November 10th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Meet my dead horse. Now beat the living crap out of him.

-He's not dead... he's just ignoring u :D

R.A.
November 10th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Lauren's good people. Unfortunately, he's been suspended for the rest of the season due to a violation of university rules (nothing illegal, racked up university-related demerits).

-LOL... Too many detentions huh :D

R.A.
November 10th, 2005, 01:39 PM
An article from the Harrisonburg, VA paper- previously posted

JMU Not Quite Kaput
The Dukes are still long shots to make the Division I-AA football tournament, but they aren’t completely out of the picture.

By Mike Barber

An agreement in principle with Hampton to play next season fell apart when Hampton insisted on playing at home. JMU is already set to play at VMI on Sept. 30, part of a six-game series with the Keydets. Bourne wants the other two games next season to be home dates at Bridgeforth Stadium.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like they are refusing to play us at Armstrong to me.

-Me Too. How many home games do they have next year so far?

JMU Duke Dog
November 10th, 2005, 05:41 PM
When did Hampton appear in your statement? Hampton does not equal all schools in your racial football designation. Where did the refusal come from, JMU or Hampton? :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse

JMU wants to have 6 home games for the 2006 season. They were going to have Hampton come to Harrisonburg in 2006 in order to accomplish this and then play at Hampton in 2008; however, Hampton refused to play at JMU in 2006. I was really looking forward to this JMU-Hampton series. It is unfortunate that Hampton backed out of the deal.

bandl
November 10th, 2005, 06:56 PM
JMU wants to have 6 home games for the 2006 season. They were going to have Hampton come to Harrisonburg in 2006 in order to accomplish this and then play at Hampton in 2008; however, Hampton refused to play at JMU in 2006. I was really looking forward to this JMU-Hampton series. It is unfortunate that Hampton backed out of the deal.

Wow, that adds quite a spin on things!!! Haha!!
But before I take that as gospel and run it to HU's bank to cash it in, do you have any written proof that this is the case? That "Hampton refused to play at JMU in 2006"?

JMU Duke Dog
November 10th, 2005, 09:47 PM
But before I take that as gospel and run it to HU's bank to cash it in, do you have any written proof that this is the case? That "Hampton refused to play at JMU in 2006"?

I will try to look for it in the archives as the whole deal about the JMU-Hampton deal falling apart was written in an article in Harrisonburg's Daily News-Record back in August or September.

JMU2004
November 10th, 2005, 09:54 PM
hampton couldn't beat W&M with one of the best young players in the NFL

Tell me again, why do people think they are good??? the beat DSU by 22

JMU, in a down year, beat DSU by 58 without trying too hard.

If DSU is #3 in the MEAC, then that tells me ALL that I need to know

gram4life
November 10th, 2005, 09:54 PM

That still does not change the fact that Hampton had already played JMU twice AT JMU. It's time that JMU came to Hampton's house 1st. Talk about a slap in the face. I would have refused also.

McNeese75
November 10th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Therefore the ONLY "power conferences" are made up of predominantly white colleges, exclusively. So then, until these "power conferences" extend an invitation to an HBCU and the invitation is accepted, then those who have common sense will address the truth- the "power conferences" are made up of predominantly white colleges, and those teams, as evidenced by an article from the defending national champions hometown paper, refuse to play HBCUs in home and home series. Notice, I didn't say they were scared or give ANY reason for the refusal, but the evidence is in front of you, in writing.

:confused: , You need to focus on Hampton for your WA claims and not HBCUs. McNeese went to a SWAC school last year (and won) and then after a storm named Katrina hit the state, they CANCELLED the return game this year, not delayed, or rescheduled but cancelled it and it appears they have no intention of fulfilling their return obligation.

Coastal89
November 10th, 2005, 10:11 PM
I'm sure Hampton could work out a deal with Coastal since we still have 2 open spots on next years schedule. Have your people contact our people.

Punchykky
November 10th, 2005, 10:18 PM
That still does not change the fact that Hampton had already played JMU twice AT JMU. It's time that JMU came to Hampton's house 1st. Talk about a slap in the face. I would have refused also.

My thoughts exactly! I'd like to hear the JMU alumni on this discussion board address this fact. :nod:

JMU Duke Dog
November 10th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Here was the quote from the article from 9/14/05:

Carolina was added to the schedule when an oral agreement to play Hampton in 2006 and 2007 fell apart.

"The reason Hampton dropped was because we needed a home game," said Bourne, adding that the schools never had a signed agreement. "They came back and said they wanted us to play there first."

While that opened the 2007 slot for North Carolina, it also left JMU with an extra opening next season. The Dukes now must fill two slots in 2006.

JMU Duke Dog
November 10th, 2005, 10:48 PM
JMU's athletic administration desires to have at least 6 home games every season. Due to JMU already set to play at VMI in 2006, the Dukes are looking for two OOC opponents to come to Bridgeforth. JMU would have especially been willing to travel to Hampton in 2007 as JMU is already set to play at home against Coastal Carolina and VMI in 2007. It also would have helped JMU's travel budget by playing an in-state OOC opponent on the road instead of an out-of-state OOC opponent on the road. It is ashame that this deal fell apart. Maybe something can be worked out after 2008.

R.A.
November 11th, 2005, 12:01 AM
:confused: , You need to focus on Hampton for your WA claims and not HBCUs. McNeese went to a SWAC school last year (and won) and then after a storm named Katrina hit the state, they CANCELLED the return game this year, not delayed, or rescheduled but cancelled it and it appears they have no intention of fulfilling their return obligation.

... that's the SWAC. They're kinda weird over there :D :rolleyes:

R.A.
November 11th, 2005, 12:01 AM
My thoughts exactly! I'd like to hear the JMU alumni on this discussion board address this fact. :nod:

-Somebody??? Anybody???

JMU2004
November 11th, 2005, 01:10 AM
-Somebody??? Anybody???

we offered to show up in 2007....Hampton has not responded

But, please tell me why JMU should give up a home gate of 15,000+ to satisfy a MEAC school? The MEAC is the low man on I-AA beacuse most of the teams are aweful.

A MEAC team can't eactly demand something from an A-10/CAA team. Let me know when the MAC demands a 1 for 1 from the SEC power

Hamptongal
November 11th, 2005, 01:37 AM
we offered to show up in 2007....Hampton has not responded

But, please tell me why JMU should give up a home gate of 15,000+ to satisfy a MEAC school? The MEAC is the low man on I-AA beacuse most of the teams are aweful.

A MEAC team can't eactly demand something from an A-10/CAA team. Let me know when the MAC demands a 1 for 1 from the SEC power

Please don't lump all MEAC teams and all A10 teams together. Hampton can have their stipulations for where the game is played, just like JMU did, after all really it was just as much a refusal on the part of JMU to play at Hampton as it was a refusal on the part of Hampton to play at JMU, however it was a very legitimate request based on the past history. A MEAC team that has been as successful as Hampton can expectt some semblance of respect from JMU based on their prior games as well as Hampton's status as at least a 16 team in the nation. Hopefully they can get a game together, but I think it was the wording that was attributed to the JMU coach that was perhaps so distasteful, as if the plan fell through only on Hampton's side and they didn't have a legitimate reason for wanting to play at their field this year. Especially because JMU says they want 6 home games, well that's fine but how about a year like next year when Hampton is playing more than four games at home.

bandl
November 11th, 2005, 05:54 AM

Well.......yeah. I can't change the past. If I could, I wouldn't be wasting my time 'working' (or on the internet right now), I'd be richer 'an snot living on my own island. MY take on it is...if you want to play with the big boys and then be considered one of the big boys (as if evident by most AGS posters, HU hasn't reached that point yet, right or not) you gotta have the "play anyone, anywhere" attitude. So a game at JMU in 2006 is that step in the right direction....a return game in 2008 is gravy. HU had a chance to get a big boy school in their house and blew it. Seems like they slapped themselves in the face. The may have just shot themselves in the foot concerning future negotiations....JMU may just say "they backed out the last time, why should we even consider them again?"

Bulldog87
November 11th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Who made JMU GOD? Hampton went JMU won the game but now must play on JMU's terms because JMU desires 6 home games? What about Hampton's desire for home games? HU isn't JMU's stepchild,HU won the ballgame. JMU should have the onions to want to go to HU and "REDEEM" themselves based on what they think of MEAC schools considering that they lost to HU. I'll ask again. Did JMU play Towson this year and if they did,who won and what was the final score?

Bulldog87
November 11th, 2005, 08:04 AM
This is the problem with this BS SOS arguement. Example,The Citadel tries to dictate to SCSU,"We'll love to play you,but only at our place." Why not treat us like you do everyone else and play a legitimate home and home and not a 2 or 3 for 1. JMU could travel all the way to Myrtle Beach but they couldn't make it down the road to Hampton. I wouldn't kiss their azzes either if I were Hampton. HU has the last victory on record at your building. If you want your manhood back go to Hampton and try to get it.

bandl
November 11th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Who made JMU GOD? Hampton went JMU won the game but now must play on JMU's terms because JMU desires 6 home games? What about Hampton's desire for home games? HU isn't JMU's stepchild,HU won the ballgame. JMU should have the onions to want to go to HU and "REDEEM" themselves based on what they think of MEAC schools considering that they lost to HU. I'll ask again. Did JMU play Towson this year and if they did,who won and what was the final score?

Not going to waste my time with this one, since you can't use your time to do a tad bit of research. JMU hasn't played Towson yet this year.

bandl
November 11th, 2005, 08:07 AM
This is the problem with this BS SOS arguement. Example,The Citadel tries to dictate to SCSU,"We'll love to play you,but only at our place." Why not treat us like you do everyone else and play a legitimate home and home and not a 2 or 3 for 1. JMU could travel all the way to Myrtle Beach but they couldn't make it down the road to Hampton. I wouldn't kiss their azzes either if I were Hampton. HU has the last victory on record at your building. If you want your manhood back go to Hampton and try to get it.

Win a playoff game against an A-10 team....or two playoff games, period....or 4 straight playoff games on the road, then talk about manhood.

JMU Duke Dog
November 11th, 2005, 08:12 AM

JMU is not trying to dictate anything to anyone. This deal was going to be a 1 for 1 and had no connections with earlier games. The overwhelming majority of current players and students at JMU do not remember playing home against Hampton as they were all still in high school when that happened. This whole subject is ridiculous as Hampton unfortunately backed out. I was looking forward to seeing Hampton in Harrisonburg in 2006 and then traveling down the road to Hampton in 2007. This is all hot air and a waste of time talking about a series that cannot happen anymore until sometime after the 2008 season at the earliest.

bandl
November 11th, 2005, 08:16 AM
JMU is not trying to dictate anything to anyone. This deal was going to be a 1 for 1 and had no connections with earlier games. The current players and students at JMU do not remember playing home against Hampton as they were all still in high school when that happened. This whole subject is ridiculous as Hampton unfortunately backed out. I was looking forward to seeing Hampton in Harrisonburg in 2006 and then traveling down the road to Hampton in 2007. This is all hot air and a waste of time talking about a series that cannot happen anymore until sometime after the 2008 season at the earliest.

Thanks for taking the level-headed approach...I was getting a bit 'worked up'. I've wasted alot of brain cells on this matter by repeatedly bashing my head into my desk, and my foot hurts from kicking this dead horse on the floor at my feet, so I'm about done!!! :D

I was out of the JMU program for a few years before the JMU/HU game in '02. So it doesn't mean anything to me either.

Bulldog87
November 11th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Playoff game or no playoff game the bottom line is that Hampton won the last game vs JMU in your stadium. The JMU coach and AD are attempting to make a mockery of the MEAC in the press trying to use SOS to get in the playoffs. Maybe they should visit the number 1 MEAC team in the regular season,win the game and then disparage the conference. Hampton has nothing to prove by going to JMU and beating tham AGAIN for all of you play with and at the "BIG BOYS " posters. The record shows that the Pirates have been there and done that.

JMU Duke Dog
November 11th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Beat us ONCE- then talk about MANHOOD!

So beating Hampton should be a higher priority than winning a national championship or even making the playoffs?

Hamptongal
November 11th, 2005, 08:38 AM
So beating Hampton should be a higher priority than winning a national championship or even making the playoffs?
These are apples and oranges. Each team has something that they can use to back up their arguments. This is so pointless. If I didn't hate the beating the dead horse icon I might use it.

McNeese75
November 11th, 2005, 08:44 AM
... that's the SWAC. They're kinda weird over there :D :rolleyes:

:D , just a little, sometimes.

JMU Duke Dog
November 11th, 2005, 08:44 AM
These are apples and oranges. Each team has something that they can use to back up their arguments. This is so pointless. If I didn't hate the beating the dead horse icon I might use it.

This whole thread is pointless as the deal fell apart two months ago. Where were you all when this happened two months ago? This whole issue is pointless unless we are going to talk about setting up a series after the 2008 season at the earliest. JMU wanted to play Hampton and thought they were going to play Hampton until Hampton backed out.

bandl
November 11th, 2005, 08:48 AM

I agree! Woohoo!

If you don't like the icon, just use smart-ass dead horse comments like i do...

"Hi, I'm a dead horse...can I come in for a beating?" :D

JMU Duke Dog
November 11th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Fine. Look, we've beaten you, at your place, twice. If you want to play us, come to our house. If you don't, admit it, and move on. NEWSFLASH- WE DON'T NEED YOU. We play in front of at least 50K EVERY YEAR at the Meadowlands. Do you? We are on national TV at least once EVERY YEAR, twice this year. Are you? Dr. Harvey, Coach/AD Taylor, et. al., are not coming to you hat in hand, shuffling, and begging you for anything. The next game played between JMU and Hampton will be played at Armstrong, period.

Well I guess that attitude is exactly why the verbal agreement fell apart between JMU and Hampton. JMU was going to play at Hampton in 2007. You all talk as if JMU was planning to never play at Hampton. Get on board with the reality ship!

Hamptongal
November 11th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I agree! Woohoo!

If you don't like the icon, just use smart-ass dead horse comments like i do...

"Hi, I'm a dead horse...can I come in for a beating?" :D
See I don't like those either. This is just another one of those well the GPI of my team beats out the schedule of your team, "last years champs vs this year's controversy." People just write the same argument with their own personal spin on it with little insight until it simply turns into a chest beating or dare i say, my manhood (hint hint) is bigger than yours contest.

Hamptongal
November 11th, 2005, 08:54 AM
This whole thread is pointless as the deal fell apart two months ago. Where were you all when this happened two months ago? This whole issue is pointless unless we are going to talk about setting up a series after the 2008 season at the earliest. JMU wanted to play Hampton and thought they were going to play Hampton until Hampton backed out.
And yet you are still beating your chest like you are King Kong and repeating yourself over and over again. ;)

bandl
November 11th, 2005, 08:55 AM
[QUOTE=Shellshock]NEWSFLASH- WE DON'T NEED YOU. [QUOTE]

Then why won't you just stop with this already? You need to worry about the playoffs first, then worry about the schedule 3 or 4 years down the road.

I hope HU wins a game, or even two, I really do. Represent the state of VA well. Two schools from this state got to the semi-finals last year, do your best to continue to show everyone how many good football teams VA can produce. :)

Out.

JMU Duke Dog
November 11th, 2005, 09:02 AM
We will win, don't worry about that- and I hope we see y'all sometime during the playoffs.

Unfortunately it won't be until 2006 at the earliest due to things on JMU's end. Did Hampton put in a bid to host a playoff game for this year? Do you all think that they would make a Richmond at Hampton first-round playoff game?

McNeese75
November 11th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Fine. Look, we've beaten you, at your place, twice. If you want to play us, come to our house. If you don't, admit it, and move on. NEWSFLASH- WE DON'T NEED YOU. We play in front of at least 50K EVERY YEAR at the Meadowlands. Do you? We are on national TV at least once EVERY YEAR, twice this year. Are you? Dr. Harvey, Coach/AD Taylor, et. al., are not coming to you hat in hand, shuffling, and begging you for anything. The next game played between JMU and Hampton will be played at Armstrong, period.

Quite obviously JMU does NOT NEED YOU either. This line of reasoning sounds exactly like the Southern University thought pattern when a game is proposed to them, blah, blah, blah, what can you do for us, blah, blah, blah we don't need you, you need us more, blah, blah, blah, we draw 10 million fans and play on TV in a game called a "Classic", blah, blah blah,

HOWEVER, there is a couple of major differences here although your rhetoric is the same, You do have what appears to be a very nice team this year and you do compete in the playoffs so my hat is off to you for that.

Hamptongal
November 11th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Unfortunately it won't be until 2006 at the earliest due to things on JMU's end. Did Hampton put in a bid to host a playoff game for this year? Do you all think that they would make a Richmond at Hampton first-round playoff game?
Hampton put in a bid to host two games. They have deep pockets and if all goes right hopefully will be hosting.

gram4life
November 11th, 2005, 10:07 AM
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY, 100%, CORRECT!!!! However, as long as they think that we are going to beg them for anything or capitulate to their whims, THERE WILL BE NO GAME.

Man some of these poster are a trip, they expect Hampton come hat in hand for a game. Yeah right!

bandl
November 11th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Yes. We put in a bid. I don't really care who they send. I'm going to be "...on the front row..." to watch us walk the aisle on WHOMEVER it is.

SS, just curious. Are you on the HU team?

Punchykky
November 11th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Man some of these poster are a trip, they expect Hampton come hat in hand for a game. Yeah right!

I know, right? :rolleyes:

McNeese75
November 11th, 2005, 11:37 AM
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY, 100%, CORRECT!!!! However, as long as they think that we are going to beg them for anything or capitulate to their whims, THERE WILL BE NO GAME.

Well, hopefully both schools can come to terms and get a couple good games on your future schedule.

JMU Duke Dog
November 11th, 2005, 12:55 PM
I think this whole thing has reversed itself as Hampton fans seem to be giving JMU an ultamatum. This is what they claim JMU is doing to them which is just flat out inaccurate and now hypocritical.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:
- Hampton played at JMU in 1981 and 2002 but those deals were just for one game to be played at JMU
- JMU and Hampton had reached a verbal agreement earlier in 2005 for a 1 for 1 deal for the 2006 and 2007 seasons
- JMU wanted to have the 2006 game at JMU and the 2007 game at Hampton due to JMU's other OOC scheduling already in place for the 2006 and 2007 season
- Hampton refused to play at JMU in 2006 so the deal fell apart two months ago in September and JMU has moved on in looking for other OOC opponents for the upcoming seasons
- JMU will not be able to schedule any games regardless of location with Hampton until beginning with the 2009 football season

JMU Duke Dog
November 11th, 2005, 01:05 PM
...and we STILL aren't playing you, unless it is in Armstrong.

I am sorry that the years worked out in reverse of how Hampton fans would have liked. I really wish this series would have worked out. JMU would have played at Hampton in 2007. If JMU had been able to play at Hampton in 2006, then it would have happened but Hampton backed out. When will you all get a clue on the reality of what happened?

JMU Duke Dog
November 11th, 2005, 01:17 PM
If you all want to discuss this with JMU people then come over to the JMU board so we do not waste time and space on AGS on this now pointless topic.

http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=6

GannonFan
November 11th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Now what would really be funny is if the Hampton posters get outraged at this and demand that the JMU posters first come to the Hampton message boards before Hampton will even consider going to the JMU message boards. And of course the JMU posters say that they will return the getsture and of course visit the Hampton message boards after Hampton come to theirs.

th0m
November 11th, 2005, 02:59 PM
LOL :D