PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain a clock rule?

jlcharles
October 26th, 2008, 01:39 PM
On a false start with a running clock, should the clock start again when the ball is set?

The reason I ask is that the second to last play of the JMU Nova game, JMU was hit with a false start with 4 seconds left as Landers spiked the ball. The refs never started the clock after the false start. Is this the correct call?

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2008, 01:40 PM
It was illegal formation. Somebody said earlier that the clock runs down after the false start, but not illegal formation.

jlcharles
October 26th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I thought so too, but the box score shows false start, that's what prompted my question.

jlcharles
October 26th, 2008, 01:45 PM
http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2008/vu.htm?SPSID=71029&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400#GAME.PLY

It says the same thing on Nova's site.

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I went back and watched the game. The ref gives the "false start" signal, but the announcers said it was illegal procedure.

I think the "false start" signal is also used for illegal formation, but I'm not a ref, so I don't know.

jlcharles
October 26th, 2008, 02:01 PM
They are absolutely the same signal, but the box score says it was a false start. I'm hoping someone asks Talley during his radio show this week what the actual call was. And you're right, the announcers for our radio broadcast said illegal formation.

JMU2004
October 26th, 2008, 02:07 PM
JMU was flagged for illegal procedure. I screamed at the TV when it was called, because the formation was legal. I guess they ruled that JMU was not set when the ball was set?

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but there is no "clock runoff" rule in College. I have seen a few VU fans wonder why the clock was not run down after the penalty.

grizband
October 26th, 2008, 02:20 PM
What happened on the play before the penalty? Was the clock stopped (ie. incomplete pass) before the penalty? At the high school level, the clock resumes whatever action preceded the foul, so if you know this information I could answer your question.

JayJ79
October 26th, 2008, 03:38 PM
What happened on the play before the penalty? Was the clock stopped (ie. incomplete pass) before the penalty? At the high school level, the clock resumes whatever action preceded the foul, so if you know this information I could answer your question.

If JMU was spiking the ball on that play, then the clock was obviously running.

cats2506
October 26th, 2008, 03:45 PM
If JMU was spiking the ball on that play, then the clock was obviously running.

Yeah, but grizband is a griz fan and thus not very bright, so give him a break.

I know .... smack is ----------->
but CAT/griz is getting closer

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2008, 07:33 PM
JMU was flagged for illegal procedure. I screamed at the TV when it was called, because the formation was legal. I guess they ruled that JMU was not set when the ball was set?

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but there is no "clock runoff" rule in College. I have seen a few VU fans wonder why the clock was not run down after the penalty.

Actually it was not a legal formation. The left tackle wasn't covered up. Wideout had backed off the line.

jlcharles
October 26th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Actually it was not a legal formation. The left tackle wasn't covered up. Wideout had backed off the line.

You're right, the inside WR on the left side of the formation was lined up at the 31 and the line of scrimmage was the 30, so he was lined up in the backfield. I didn't notice it when I watched it before.

The box score is wrong.

Sturgisjeff
October 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM
When Clock Stops—ARTICLE 6
Approved Ruling 3-2-6
I. The ball is snapped before it is made ready for play, or a false start
occurs. RULING: The ball remains “dead,’’ and “timeout’’ and “no
play’’ signals should accompany immediate sounding of the whistle
to prevent possible consumption of playing time or action during
which injury or personal fouls might occur (Rules 4-1-1, 4-1-4 and
7-1-1).

From the NCAA rule book

jlcharles
October 27th, 2008, 08:22 PM
When Clock Stops—ARTICLE 6
Approved Ruling 3-2-6
I. The ball is snapped before it is made ready for play, or a false start
occurs. RULING: The ball remains “dead,’’ and “timeout’’ and “no
play’’ signals should accompany immediate sounding of the whistle
to prevent possible consumption of playing time or action during
which injury or personal fouls might occur (Rules 4-1-1, 4-1-4 and
7-1-1).

From the NCAA rule book

While it doesn't matter since the play wasn't a false start, think about it this way. A team is driving with under two minutes to go, if I am reading this correctly, a team could, instead of spiking the ball, just false start and get a stopped clock, so I don't think that's the correct interpretation of what I am reading. My bet is that the clock is stopped to make the call, then set and the clock runs again.