PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to Liberty

CSUBUCDAD
October 26th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Been a good while since I witnessed a complete domination on both sides of the ball like I saw yesterday. Liberty is for real folks. Can't figure out how in the world Lafayette was able to best them, but I assure those of you who still have them coming up on your schedule, your boys better be ready or the result will be ugly. Bucs blew two scoring opportunities, but the Flames pretty much had our number all day. Good job Flames, and good luck the rest of the way.

ToTheLeft
October 26th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah, we looked really good. Number 17, Claiborne, on defense, was stepping in for the starter and did REALLY well. Blocked punt, lots of tackles, good pass coverage.

Just hope we can keep this up for 4 more games.

Eight Legger
October 26th, 2008, 01:03 PM
The reality for Liberty is they must beat Elon and win out to have a shot at making it. But I don't doubt that when the Big South gets its autobid, people will pay more attention to this team.

ToTheLeft
October 26th, 2008, 01:07 PM
The Elon game is going to be pretty epic... I am really excited about it.

EKU05
October 26th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I caught a few minutes of that game on the Faith Network as I was flipping through the channels late last night. The Flames did look pretty good from what I saw.

SuperJon
October 26th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Been a good while since I witnessed a complete domination on both sides of the ball like I saw yesterday. Liberty is for real folks. Can't figure out how in the world Lafayette was able to best them, but I assure those of you who still have them coming up on your schedule, your boys better be ready or the result will be ugly. Bucs blew two scoring opportunities, but the Flames pretty much had our number all day. Good job Flames, and good luck the rest of the way.

Did you make it up for the game? If so, what'd you think?

SuperJon
October 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
The reality for Liberty is they must beat Elon and win out to have a shot at making it. But I don't doubt that when the Big South gets its autobid, people will pay more attention to this team.

I agree completely. I think we have just as much talent as the teams competing for an auto-bid. However, with our schedule, I don't think we play at the same level as those teams on a week in and week out basis so when we do step it up, there's an adjustment period and sometimes it's too late once we adjust. Once we do adjust we play really well, but that adjustment time sometimes hurts us.

I think that now that some schools are changing their opinions of us we'll start being able to play more challenging opponents. JMU wouldn't even talk to us for about 15 years. Richmond won't schedule us in anything. Hopefully that changes. It's tough for us to find opponents at times because of what our school stands for and our founder. It's starting to change and hopefully keeps changing.

Go...gate
October 26th, 2008, 04:00 PM
This game found its way onto the Comcast package and Liberty looked awfully good. They definitely look like a fine club. CSUBUCDAD, did it ever occur to you that Lafayette and the Patriot League might not be so bad?

jcmanson
October 26th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I sure wish we could have that Lafayette game over. Oh well. They beat us the only time it mattered.

matfu
October 26th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I believe that even if liberty runs the table and beats elon they could be at home for the playoffs. for instance, if furman runs the table and finishes 9-3 with a win over wofford, i would think furman would be in over liberty. the point is, this year, somebody is going to get "woofed".

SoccerSmells
October 27th, 2008, 10:25 AM
With the gobs and gobs of money that LU puts into football these days compared to many other programs, they should spank people on a regular basis.

Franks Tanks
October 27th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I sure wish we could have that Lafayette game over. Oh well. They beat us the only time it mattered.

You will get another chance at the Leopards next year

89Hen
October 27th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I'm just tired of LU being on my TV. I think three in a row or three of four. xoopsx :p

jcmanson
October 27th, 2008, 10:35 AM
With the gobs and gobs of money that LU puts into football these days compared to many other programs, they should spank people on a regular basis.

It takes time. You don't go from being 1-10 to national champs in a year.

Also, do you have the numbers to show how much LU is spending in comparison to the JMU's, Apps, Delaware's, etc.?

SuperJon
October 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM
People think we have a ton of money because we have a shiny new building and all of that. The truth is, we operate just like every other school. If we have the amount of money some people think, we would've flown to YSU instead of drive. We have to watch our money just as everyone else does.

Go...gate
October 27th, 2008, 12:22 PM
People think we have a ton of money because we have a shiny new building and all of that. The truth is, we operate just like every other school. If we have the amount of money some people think, we would've flown to YSU instead of drive. We have to watch our money just as everyone else does.

Ouch. I drive a lot and that is a difficult trip.

SoccerSmells
October 27th, 2008, 12:29 PM
LU's football budget dwarfs the rest of the Big South. It's very comparable from what I've been told to the larger programs in the FCS. That includes coaching salaries, personnel and support staff and facilities. Not just the building, which I've only seen online.

SoccerSmells
October 27th, 2008, 12:30 PM
To be fair, LU has been pouring cash into football for several years. It has taken Rocco to get them winning, so credit goes to him as well. The previous coach had an overload of resources at his disposal as well.

Libertine
October 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM
You will get another chance at the Leopards next year

I want another chance at the Leopards this year. Come on, patch up Andy Romans and let's make it happen. xsmiley_wix

jcmanson
October 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM
So, we spend alot more money than the rest of the Big South. I imagine that's who you think we should "spank". Well:

LU is 9-2 against the Big South since Danny Rocco arrived.
LU has a Big South Record 9 consecutive conference victories.
Combined score from the last 9 Big South games:381 - 158.

I'd say that's spanking everyone in the league.

jcmanson
October 27th, 2008, 12:37 PM
The previous coach had an overload of resources at his disposal as well, but couldn't coach.

Fixed that for ya.

SuperJon
October 27th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I want another chance at the Leopards this year. Come on, patch up Andy Romans and let's make it happen. xsmiley_wix

STOP TEASING ME!!!

Franks Tanks
October 27th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Really? Not so sure I would feel that way if i were you. :)

Libertine
October 27th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Really? Not so sure I would feel that way if i were you. :)

Wouldn't say if I didn't mean it. :) :)

SoccerSmells
October 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM
You are correct. Liberty has spanked the Big South. My point is that they should, it's not a big deal that they beat the heck out of everyone in the league currently. This post seems that there is surprise that Liberty is good. It's not a surprise. They should be great.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 27th, 2008, 02:52 PM
If Elon loses to App State, the Elon/Liberty game could be a play-in game ... just like the W&M/UR game. 11-22 could be a heck of a Saturday in the Commonwealth...

jcmanson
October 27th, 2008, 03:25 PM
If Elon loses to App State, the Elon/Liberty game could be a play-in game ... just like the W&M/UR game. 11-22 could be a heck of a Saturday in the Commonwealth...

xnodx

BJuice
October 27th, 2008, 10:09 PM
If so, what'd you think?

xrolleyesx

What'd you think?

Are you serious? How about fishing for compliments. That is pretty arrogant to ask a CSU fan (our facilities are nowhere close to yours yet and you just crushed us 42-0) what he thought.

You know you have nice facilities and you know you put on a good "show", but you still have to ask. How about be classy and just wait for people to compliment you instead of asking for it. That is just another example of the elitest attitude of the LU faithful. xbowx xrolleyesx

PhoenixSupreme
October 27th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I'm going with a bunch of Elon pals to the game @ Liberty. I'm expecting a great game from both teams, plus it will be good to find/talk smack to some of my Liberty pals as well.

SuperJon
October 28th, 2008, 12:02 AM
xrolleyesx

What'd you think?

Are you serious? How about fishing for compliments. That is pretty arrogant to ask a CSU fan (our facilities are nowhere close to yours yet and you just crushed us 42-0) what he thought.

You know you have nice facilities and you know you put on a good "show", but you still have to ask. How about be classy and just wait for people to compliment you instead of asking for it. That is just another example of the elitest attitude of the LU faithful. xbowx xrolleyesx

You can't be serious? I asked what the guy thought of his experience to Liberty if he came up here. I would ask that of anyone no matter the outcome of the game or the school they were from. If someone comes up here and has never been here before I like to know if it's what they expected or if they enjoyed the experience.

CSU Girl
October 28th, 2008, 11:11 AM
You can't be serious? I asked what the guy thought of his experience to Liberty if he came up here. I would ask that of anyone no matter the outcome of the game or the school they were from. If someone comes up here and has never been here before I like to know if it's what they expected or if they enjoyed the experience.

I was shocked at the words that came out of the LU fan base, I am sure Jerry Falwell was rolling over in his grave. What kind of Southern Baptist School represents itself by calling the other team "fags, retards, and other four letter names?" I expect that kind of treatment from other schools but LU is suppose to be representing something bigger than football. xnonono2x xnonox

SuperJon
October 28th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Mind if I ask where you were sitting? The only reason I ask is I'd be interested to know if that came from students or from people in the community that came to the game. I know that we have students who don't represent us very well at all and most of the students police themselves to make sure that stuff doesn't happen. I can guarantee you none of the came from the front rows around the 50 on the student side.

CSU Girl
October 28th, 2008, 11:19 AM
on the 50 yard line on the visitors side of course. Not sure if they were students, but they were definately young men. But Coach Rocco has done an awesome job with that program. Liberty is a great team, just need to get some of the fans in line.

CSU Girl
October 28th, 2008, 11:19 AM
this was my 2nd trip to Liberty, very nice campus.

SuperJon
October 28th, 2008, 11:21 AM
on the 50 yard line on the visitors side of course. Not sure if they were students, but they were definately young men. But Coach Rocco has done an awesome job with that program. Liberty is a great team, just need to get some of the fans in line.

I have a very hard time believing that. I never once heard anything that would've crossed the line, and I should know considering that's where the club that I started stands. I ragged on your QB the entire second half but I never said any of the words you're saying people said. We police ourselves more than anyone in the stands.

CSU Girl
October 28th, 2008, 11:22 AM

so where did the money come from, we could use some pointers...

SuperJon
October 28th, 2008, 11:24 AM
so where did the money come from, we could use some pointers...

For our building and things like that? The building was completely donated. Our facilities and improvements for them come strictly from donations. Day to day operations, while they may be higher than CSU or PC, are not higher than your average FCS program.

CSU Girl
October 28th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Hmm that doesn't help us, see Liberty is a pretty well known baptist school in the baptist community (along with TCU) therefore you have more alumni. CSU is not as well known as LU, but we are working to change that. We will get there.

SuperJon
October 28th, 2008, 12:04 PM
If you knew our alumni, you would think differently. A lot of our alumni have no desire to do anything with Liberty anymore. The school really was disconnected with alumni up until maybe a year or so ago. They're just now starting to reconnect.

justsaying
October 28th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I for one am not impressed with liberty!!!

Lets be truthful.Their schedule is real weak, and the only teams they have beat with 4 wins or more are Coastal Carolina, and Glenville state(Div 2 ).....Only two teams they played are over .500 The rest aren't even at that mark..

2008 schedule so far

North Greenville 2-7 Div 2
Glenville State 6-3 Div 2
Western Carolina 2-7
Youngstown State-2-7
Coastal Carolina 4-5
Stonybrook 3-5
Lafayette 6-1 Lost
Charleston Southern 2-5

Opponent record 27-40

Yes they are dominating each and every team, and that is what they are suppose to do.. But I cant talk playoffs just yet..

carney2
October 28th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Another hurdle that Liberty has to overcome to make the playoffs is that I believe that the selection committee at least peeks at rating systems such as the Sagarin ratings. Considering only teams not currently in 1st place in their conference we have:

62 Richmond
75 Villanova
86 Wofford
97 William & Mary
99 New Hampshire
102 Elon
105 Massachusetts
116 Maine
122 Furman
124 Northern Iowa
126 Southern Illinois
134 Liberty

That's 11 teams ahead of them just with my little bit of research. It does not include teams from out west who will gobble up 1 or 2 of the 8 available slots. Much of this has to do with Liberty's pitiful strength of schedule.

Point being that liberty in the playoffs is a bit of an uphill climb. There will only be 6 or 7 slots available after a western team or two is thrown into the mix. The big thing they have going for them is that the committee may just want to throw non-autobid conferences an early bone in light of the changes coming in 2010. Holding the "L" column at 1 is critical, however.

SuperJon
October 28th, 2008, 03:06 PM
The Youngstown team we played is by no means the Youngstown team on the field right now. I know they're bad, but they've gone through two more QBs since we played them.

kirkblitz
October 28th, 2008, 03:08 PM
damn you liberty for showing me what a winning team is lol :(

Libertine
October 28th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I have a very hard time believing that. I never once heard anything that would've crossed the line, and I should know considering that's where the club that I started stands. I ragged on your QB the entire second half but I never said any of the words you're saying people said. We police ourselves more than anyone in the stands.

I also have a hard time believing that, especially when you consider that the visitors section at Williams Stadium is nowhere near either the 50-yard line or the visitors' sideline.

CarolinaGirl
October 28th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Congratulations Liberty on your win last Saturday! I hope y'all run the table the rest of the way xthumbsupx

CarolinaGirl
October 28th, 2008, 07:03 PM
damn you liberty for showing me what a winning team is lol :(

xcoffeex

SuperJon
October 28th, 2008, 09:05 PM
You know, now that I think of it, CSU Girl the only way you heard something from the 50 on the "visitor's side" is if you were one of the trainers. If so, you definitely ain't ugly. Haha.

CSU Girl
October 29th, 2008, 10:43 AM
You know, now that I think of it, CSU Girl the only way you heard something from the 50 on the "visitor's side" is if you were one of the trainers. If so, you definitely ain't ugly. Haha.

Haha, not a trainer but maybe you have figured out CSU's problem. Maybe our trainers are a distraction to our boys. Maybe that is why they make so many stupid mistakes... :)

SuperJon
October 29th, 2008, 11:12 AM
If you're not a trainer then how did you hear what was being said on the 50? Just asking. The only CSU people that were females that were anywhere near us were trainers.

And, for the record, we have two trainers that look amazing and we don't make the mistakes. Haha.

joecooll6
October 29th, 2008, 12:43 PM
xrolleyesx

What'd you think?

Whoa, slow down trick daddy.

joecooll6
October 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM
The Youngstown team we played is by no means the Youngstown team on the field right now. I know they're bad, but they've gone through two more QBs since we played them.

Thats not true, they had their backup QB back last week I believe. Theyre not very good though we struggled with them, with a freshman QB making his first mind you, but we still struggled too.

hoseman
October 29th, 2008, 12:53 PM
LU has to get by PC this weekend...PC is ready this time.