PDA

View Full Version : WKU's Playoff Chances and Scheduling question

bigtimetopperfan
November 9th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I realize that we have played some really bad games the last few weeks. Our offense has been stagnant many times, and the past two teams (SIU, UNI) have flat out beaten us.

I realize we have to win out to make it to the playoffs?? My question is, and others from other teams may have insight. Why do you schedule a SECOND I-A team on your schedule, although a much lower tiered I-A school, why fly all the way to Miami to play FLA INTL, especially one week before the playoffs start. We really put ourselves in a big jam with the way we have played the last two weeks, but an even bigger jam by having to go to FL, AFTER playing on the road in frigid and big stadium in Y-Town.

are other teams playing these kind of games late in the season?? I'm sure we're getting paid a little bit, but i'm sure nowhere near the amount we were paid to go to Auburn.

Any insight from topper fans or from others

GO BIG RED

ISUMatt
November 9th, 2005, 11:21 AM
$$$ thats why!!!

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Well, if you miss the playoffs, it's a nice trip and a de facto bowl game for any alumni who decide to make the journey. I still think the Toppers should win the game, though.

wkuhillhound
November 9th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Last season, WKU would have played FIU earlier, but because of the hurricanes it was changed to the end of the season and WKU ended up winning the game by double digits. We have about a 50-50 chance to sweep and make the playoffs. A lot of bubble teams will probably root against WKU at the moment because we are pretty decent in the GPI #16 and ranked in Top 15 in most media polls. I have no doubts that if WKU makes the playoffs it would have to travel A LOT in order to get to Chattanooga it would be a little bit like the 2002 season but anything is possible and WKU will have a winning season and that would be a great confidence booster for next season. It is very frustrating and anxious time for Hilltopper fans in general because we became spoiled in making the playoffs and that is in jeopardy. WKU has been resilient when their backs are against the wall so this is no different. I just hope that our team can get that winning swagger back and quickly.

FlyYtown
November 9th, 2005, 12:39 PM
60 degree and sunny saturday in Youngstown; hardly frigid but yes in a big stadium with a big crowd.

GoGuins
November 9th, 2005, 12:46 PM
60 degree and sunny saturday in Youngstown; hardly frigid but yes in a big stadium with a big crowd.

Big crowd :confused: :p I hope there is a big crowd but if you're expecting over 10,000 you won't see it.

GannonFan
November 9th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Big crowd :confused: :p I hope there is a big crowd but if you're expecting over 10,000 you won't see it.

This is almost a de facto playoff game, with the loser out of the playoffs and the winner standing a good chance of being in the playoffs - why not a big crowd?

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 02:53 PM
This is almost a de facto playoff game, with the loser out of the playoffs and the winner standing a good chance of being in the playoffs - why not a big crowd?

I think I remember someone mentioning an OSU game.

FlyYtown
November 9th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Paladin is one of the pessmisistic ones on the net for the Penguins. Last Report this morning; 11,500 tickets were sold. Still a little less that 10,000 left.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 02:59 PM
it depends why the game was scheduled, in our case, we had to schedule LSU to fill a spot from another team that dropped, if that was the case, then u can't blame them for that, otherwise its purely moolah

Toppermaniac
November 9th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Last season, WKU would have played FIU earlier, but because of the hurricanes it was changed to the end of the season and WKU ended up winning the game by double digits. We have about a 50-50 chance to sweep and make the playoffs. A lot of bubble teams will probably root against WKU at the moment because we are pretty decent in the GPI #16 and ranked in Top 15 in most media polls. I have no doubts that if WKU makes the playoffs it would have to travel A LOT in order to get to Chattanooga it would be a little bit like the 2002 season but anything is possible and WKU will have a winning season and that would be a great confidence booster for next season. It is very frustrating and anxious time for Hilltopper fans in general because we became spoiled in making the playoffs and that is in jeopardy. WKU has been resilient when their backs are against the wall so this is no different. I just hope that our team can get that winning swagger back and quickly.

We tried to schedule a game with New Hampshire for this year, but they pulled out. We were left scrambling for a an 11th game and scheduled FIU again.