PDA

View Full Version : WEBER STATE - BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY

dbackjon
October 26th, 2008, 02:12 AM
My new number one, with a bullet. Fast, talented on both sides of the ball. NAU didn't help themselves with 4 turnovers (two were non-fumbles called as fumbles), but Weber took advantage of everything. The speed on offense, the play-calling, etc were the best I have seen in a long time.

Trevyn Smith is a load. Cameron Higgins tore apart the NAU secondary. McBride is an excellent coach.

Watch out Chattanooga - Weber is headed your way.

BearsCountry
October 26th, 2008, 02:13 AM
How can a team from the west be #1, clearly all of the schools east of the Mississippi are inferior to the east teams.

I Bleed Purple
October 26th, 2008, 03:58 AM
My new number one, with a bullet. Fast, talented on both sides of the ball. NAU didn't help themselves with 4 turnovers (two were non-fumbles called as fumbles), but Weber took advantage of everything. The speed on offense, the play-calling, etc were the best I have seen in a long time.

Kevin Smith is a load. Cameron Higgins tore apart the NAU secondary. McBride is an excellent coach.

Whew, where to start.

The first one looked like a fumble to me. The second one was obviously not one.

Never heard of Kevin Smith. I do know of a back that has led the Big Sky in rushing for two straight years and is looking to make a third, but his name isn't Kevin Smith.

The O. Coord's play calling has been amazing this year. They run at least two plays a game specifically designed for use only against the defense they're playing that week. Masterful stuff. Good to have an offense than can adapt to that.

Wolfman
October 26th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Weber state beat Northern Colorado by a pitance. NAU is obviously grossly overrated, having playing nobody before Weber.

Weber is a solid team. However, they will get their arses handed to them in the playoffs by one of the Eastern powers. Weber's defense is not that good.

uofmman1122
October 26th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Weber state beat Northern Colorado by a pitance. NAU is obviously grossly overrated, having playing nobody before Weber.

Weber is a solid team. However, they will get their arses handed to them in the playoffs by one of the Eastern powers. Weber's defense is not that good.Odd.....You sounded so sold on NAU being so much better than the Griz. You even said,

NAU will finish second in the Big Sky.Kind of sounds like your praising of EWU until it became obvious that you were wrong.
Have another change of heart? xeyebrowxxlolx

I swear, if the Griz won the NC, you'd probably say you supported them and knew they were going to do it all along. xlolx

griz&beer
October 26th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Their D is ok, Their O has firepower, and can get it done. They force turnovers and then they make you pay. No one will blow them out.

Appstate29
October 26th, 2008, 11:48 AM

Kevin Smith is a load. Cameron Higgins tore apart the NAU secondary. McBride is an excellent coach.

Maybe Nau just isn't as good as we thought?? It is the fluff.

Rob Iola
October 26th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Weber's best in the West (although ironically Montana still gets a higher ranking, due in equal parts to their better record and their road win over Poly), but for now I'm skeptical about their chances matched up with JMU, ASU, Wofford, etc. - even UNI or SIU. Wofford's road win over daGriz last November still resonates...

AZGrizFan
October 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Weber's best in the West (although ironically Montana still gets a higher ranking, due in equal parts to their better record and their road win over Poly), but for now I'm skeptical about their chances matched up with JMU, ASU, Wofford, etc. - even UNI or SIU. Wofford's road win over daGriz last November still resonates...

Weber ROLLS UNI or SIU. Tossup between the other three..

dbackjon
October 26th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Whew, where to start.

The first one looked like a fumble to me. The second one was obviously not one.

Never heard of Kevin Smith. I do know of a back that has led the Big Sky in rushing for two straight years and is looking to make a third, but his name isn't Kevin Smith.

The O. Coord's play calling has been amazing this year. They run at least two plays a game specifically designed for use only against the defense they're playing that week. Masterful stuff. Good to have an offense than can adapt to that.

Sorry about Trevyn it was very late :) Fixed that.

WrenFGun
October 26th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I think this is much more likely an indictment of NAU than a boasting of Weber. I still think JMU's quality wins (Richmond, Villanova, UMass, Appalachian State) far exceed Weber's, and I think anyone would think that.

Weber with a quality win, but I'd be more worried about NAU not being for real.

alexale23
October 26th, 2008, 12:33 PM
SWEET

WEBER SUCKS

They will lose in 1st round Play some competition then tell me your good. Oh and Montana doesnt count they SUck too

slostang
October 26th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Odd.....You sounded so sold on NAU being so much better than the Griz. You even said,
Kind of sounds like your praising of EWU until it became obvious that you were wrong.

I swear, if the Griz won the NC, you'd probably say you supported them and knew they were going to do it all along. xlolx

Not a chance. He would say that Hauck got really lucky that the FCS is really down this year and give about a hundred reasons why Hauck is the worst coach in the FCS.

dbackjon
October 26th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I think this is much more likely an indictment of NAU than a boasting of Weber. I still think JMU's quality wins (Richmond, Villanova, UMass, Appalachian State) far exceed Weber's, and I think anyone would think that.

Weber with a quality win, but I'd be more worried about NAU not being for real.

Typical ECB crap. NAU will be fine - probably finish 8-3, which will be questionable for the playoffs.

The West has three elite teams - WSU, MT and Cal Poly. All of which would be in the top of the CAA/SoCon.

RationalGriz
October 26th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I think Weber is a quality team, but not any better than Montana. They did get the win that counts, but it was in Odgen when UM was playing thier poorest football. I believe Montana could win more games out of ten in Ogden than Weber could win in Missoula. I am still not that sold that either can go far in the post season. If both Montana and Weber win out, Montana probably get the edge for seeding.
NAU must win in Missoula to have any chance, they lose that game, and I do not see them getting into the playoffs with 3 losses and no quality wins.

Ronbo
October 26th, 2008, 12:59 PM
It's taken three years but Ron McBride seems to have this connection with Utah football that's starting to pay off. When players were making plays yesterday it seemd like half the players were said to be Utah transfers. If McBride can fill his roster with I-A dropdowns from Utah and BYU they could be very good as long as McBride is there.

joecooll6
October 26th, 2008, 01:01 PM

Youre basing that off of all the UNI and SIU games youve watched then, right?

GATA
October 26th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I'd like to see Weber State play Liberty in the first round...wonder who would win. xcoffeex

LehighFan11
October 26th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Anyone who votes Weber #1 should have their head examined. They are defiantly a contender but still rather unproven. I wouldn't be surprised if they won a playoff game but I would be surprised if they won more than 1.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 26th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I don't know how anyone can make such definitive statements with virtually no inter-sectional games and most of us don't see a team from another region in person. I have no problem voting JMU #1 because of the number of their quality wins, but I don't really know how Cal Poly, Weber or the Griz truly stack up against them and vice versa for JMU or other top CAA/SoCon teams. We make some assumptions based on past playoff performance, but each year is a different story. Besides with the recent track record of the #1 seed, many of us would probably be glad to give Weber that albatross. :p

dbackjon
October 26th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I don't know how anyone can make such definitive statements with virtually no inter-sectional games and most of us don't see a team from another region in person. I have no problem voting JMU #1 because of the number of their quality wins, but I don't really know how Cal Poly, Weber or the Griz truly stack up against them and vice versa for JMU or other top CAA/SoCon teams. We make some assumptions based on past playoff performance, but each year is a different story. Besides with the recent track record of the #1 seed, many of us would probably be glad to give Weber that albatross. :p

That is part of my point. I understand why people vote JMU #1, but they have not been blowing people away, either.

What really gets my goat is the assumption that ALL the top teams are in the CAA/SoCon, which is not true.

coover
October 26th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Best team in the Country? Male bovine scat! Not even close.

I saw them yesterday vs. NAU. Weber played well, but not spectacularly. Yes, NAU is a good FCS team and Weber spanked them, but not in the way the best team in the couintry would have.

Best in the west? Weber beat Montana and Montana beat Cal Poly (barely). So best in the west is a claim they might be able to make. But for most of us that actually saw Montana beat Cal Poly, we know that Poly may (and I repeat, may) be the best team of the two, that Poly's two point loss could have easily been a one point win, and that the score should not have even been that close.

I did not see Weber State's impressive win over Montana and do not know the circumstances of it ... but I can guarantee that if Cal Poly were to play Weber State, Weber State would have a very difficult time beating the Mustangs ... certainly more difficult than they had beating NAU. Poly vs. Weber might be close ... but I think the Mustangs would prevail.

And even Montana knows that if they play Poly again this year, Poly will probably win that game.

WrenFGun
October 26th, 2008, 01:25 PM

Weber clearly does not have the resume that JMU does, and that is the problem with voting Weber over JMU. For the record, I voted Weber #3 in my poll, so I'm not the ECB homer that Dbackjon suspects I am. I'm voting on resumes, and Weber has a good one. They do not have JMU's resume (4 wins over teams in the top 20) and thus, should not voted #1.

WrenFGun
October 26th, 2008, 01:26 PM
That is part of my point. I understand why people vote JMU #1, but they have not been blowing people away, either.

What really gets my goat is the assumption that ALL the top teams are in the CAA/SoCon, which is not true.

What gets my goat is the fact that you're assuming that the reason I think Weber State is not the #1 team has anything to do with teams in the CAA/SoCon. As I mentioned, Weber is my #3 team. What about their resume is better than James Madison's? I'll be happy to change my vote if you can convince me of it.

mlbowl
October 26th, 2008, 01:36 PM
And even Montana knows that if they play Poly again this year, Poly will probably win that game.

That was our first game of the season...on the road. I've watched every Montana game this year and we are truly playing our best football right now...please wish responsibly.xnodx

JALMOND
October 26th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I am one of the few followers of the Big Sky who has not seen Weber State actually play this year (we don't play them until this coming weekend). Still, I know about Montana and I know how difficult it is to earn a win at Skydome in Flag-Town (especially by a score such as the Wildcats did). By the win on Saturday, Weber State showed they can be mentioned in the same conversation as one of the best teams, but the jury is still out on if they are THE best team. As much as they have proven so far, there is still a lot left and some of that won't come about until after conference play.

gbhmt
October 26th, 2008, 01:52 PM
That was our first game of the season...on the road. I've watched every Montana game this year and we are truly playing our best football right now...please wish responsibly.xnodx

Yeah this. Extremely young team this year that has vastly improved. I fully expected a loss going to Poly earlier this year. Based on the team by now, I would expect to win if they played again.

Wolfman
October 26th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Odd.....You sounded so sold on NAU being so much better than the Griz. You even said,
Kind of sounds like your praising of EWU until it became obvious that you were wrong.

Yeah, I was obviously wrong about EWU. I think the coach of EWU might be the problem. The talent is obviously there.

If Hauck wins the NC this season, I'll kiss your bare *ss on the Missoula County courthouse steps, at high noon. ;)

Silenoz
October 26th, 2008, 02:54 PM

This

Houndawg
October 26th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Negative. By the time we'd meet SIU wouldn't be stuck with their base defense and a such thin offensive playbook. SIU is the most misunderesimated team in the polls right now, maybe not under-ranked, but definetly underestimated.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 26th, 2008, 03:00 PM
The Big Sky is not as good overall as the CAA or SoCon but I think they are quite underrated. To think the team that played Texas Tech as well as the mid-level Big XII teams and very nearly took 3-4 Colorado to OT is now not going to be in the playoffs. IMO, the national champ is going to be a SoCon team, a Big Sky team, or JMU. xnodx

griz&beer
October 26th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Webber is not the best but one of the top 5, I would say. Now watch then fall just because I said they where legit. JMU is just a little better then the rest of the pack not much but a little. Then there are a Strong 5 or six that could be number 2. App ,Wol, WSU, Cal Polly, Griz , Nova or ???

BisonBacker
October 26th, 2008, 03:45 PM

Folks we have an unbiased opinion xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
They will get thier chance.

cats2506
October 26th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I would say that none if any of the CAA/SoCon teams would dominate at the Walkup the way Weber did.

Flagstaff is a very difficult place to play, remember it is at 7000 ft, that is high enough to make quite a difference. BTW NAU is not a top 25 team either.

appstate38
October 26th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Weber St. is a very good team. But I am not sure I would consider them an elite team in FCS just yet.

woffordgrad94
October 26th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I'm going to make this short and sweet. I don't think Weber State is close to being the best team in the country. If Weber was in the SoCon, I think they might be fourth place. I think they would be in a similar position in the CAA, maybe lower. Just my opinion, though.

mlbowl
October 26th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I'm going to make this short and sweet. I don't think Weber State is close to being the best team in the country. If Weber was in the SoCon, I think they might be fourth place. I think they would be in a similar position in the CAA, maybe lower. Just my opinion, though.

...and I'm sure your opinion is based on much intelligence gathering from the many Weber St. games you've seenxrolleyesx ...I assure you, Weber St. is not a 4th place team in ANY conference!

griz&beer
October 26th, 2008, 04:59 PM
...and I'm sure your opinion is based on much intelligence gathering from the many Weber St. games you've seenxrolleyesx ...I assure you, Weber St. is not a 4th place team in ANY conference!

Your wrong maybe the SEC.xlolx Just playing, I think you are wright

mlbowl
October 26th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Your wrong maybe the SEC.xlolx

You got me therexlolx

I Bleed Purple
October 26th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Let me give y'all a different perspective.

Weber State has been a pretty average team the last 15+ years I've actively watched them, which means that during games you'll see great plays and such, and then the same play offensively is run and something bad happens. You'll have a game where most everything works and then a game where nothing works.

This year I keep waiting for that other shoe to drop and it hasn't. I keep waiting for a slant pattern to be picked off, or to see three straight counter right plays (thank you, Nick Chournos years) or something to show the mediocrity I'm used to. Just not getting it. It's amazing.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 26th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I was obviously wrong about EWU. I think the coach of EWU might be the problem. The talent is obviously there.

If Hauck wins the NC this season, I'll kiss your bare *ss on the Missoula County courthouse steps, at high noon. ;)

I just became a HUGE Montana fan! xlolx xlolx xlolx

BDKJMU
October 26th, 2008, 05:18 PM

Trevyn Smith is a load. Cameron Higgins tore apart the NAU secondary. McBride is an excellent coach.

Oh, ok, 99% of the rest of the voters in all the polls are all wrong, and you are right.

All the computer polls are all wrong and you are right.

You just want to justify NAU getting there arse kicked!
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Hellgate60
October 26th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I think a lot of people have to understand is that people in the West haven't seen James Madison in person but we have seen Weber State in person. I think that's why some think they may be number one.

WrenFGun
October 26th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I think a lot of people have to understand is that people in the West haven't seen James Madison in person but we have seen Weber State in person. I think that's why some think they may be number one.

That's fine, but all you have to do is look at JMU's resume to realize that they have the better victories.

Tod
October 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Right or wrong (and I'd say wrong at the moment), I'm just glad and amazed that there can be a thread with this title on AGS!

xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

woffordgrad94
October 26th, 2008, 05:56 PM

A. How do you know I have not seen Weber play? I have the Multi Sports Channels Package on satellite TV, as well as ESPN 360.

B. I could also say that YOUR opinion is based on the number of SOCON and CAA games that YOU have seen.

Your argument is an old and tired one. I've seen it before. Do you really think the pollsters see every team in the FCS play extensively?

appstate38
October 26th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Meaning no disrespect. What is different about this Weber St. team than a year ago. Did they play lights out like this last year??? Yes they beat the Griz, which given the BSC doesn't happen often. So now based on that they now have the inside track to Chatty? I realize beating Montana may make you think that you are all of a sudden ready to beat the rest of the FCS nation, but the rest of us will remain skeptical until you beat another quality team from someplace outside the BSC. Just as a reminder, Weber St. is not the champs of the BSC yet.

T-Dog
October 26th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Oh, ok, 99% of the rest of the voters in all the polls are all wrong, and you are right.

All the computer polls are all wrong and you are right.

You just want to justify NAU getting there arse kicked!
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

JMU fans sure do have some thin-skin. xnodx

And what's wrong with someone thinking a certain team in #1? Not everyone is going to agree that JMU is #1. Most people do so there's a solid majoirty. Get over it. xthumbsupx

Anyway, I'd have Weber at #7 this week. If they keep it up (i.e. run the table), the rest will sort itself out and they'll have a serious case for a seed.

mlbowl
October 26th, 2008, 06:10 PM
A. How do you know I have not seen Weber play? I have the Multi Sports Channels Package on satellite TV, as well as ESPN 360.

B. I could also say that YOUR opinion is based on the number of SOCON and CAA games that YOU have seen.

Your argument is an old and tired one. I've seen it before. Do you really think the pollsters see every team in the FCS play extensively?

Well....how many have you seen?..BTW, I've seen or listened via audio stream to three ASU & 2 GSU & 1 Wofford games...oh...and personally attended three GaSo & one Furman games...so, run along now.

mlbowl
October 26th, 2008, 06:17 PM
JMU fans sure do have some thin-skin. xnodx

And what's wrong with someone thinking a certain team in #1? Not everyone is going to agree that JMU is #1.

ding ding dingxnodx

woffordgrad94
October 26th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Well....how many have you seen?..BTW, I've seen or listened via audio stream to three ASU & 2 GSU & 1 Wofford games...oh...and personally attended three GaSo & one Furman games...so, run along now.

I saw them play against Hawaii. I know that's not the best barometer, but I have seen them play.

mlbowl
October 26th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I saw them play against Hawaii. I know that's not the best barometer, but I have seen them play.

Well, that's a start:) Not their best performance to say the least

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 26th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Meaning no disrespect. What is different about this Weber St. team than a year ago. Did they play lights out like this last year??? Yes they beat the Griz, which given the BSC doesn't happen often. So now based on that they now have the inside track to Chatty? I realize beating Montana may make you think that you are all of a sudden ready to beat the rest of the FCS nation, but the rest of us will remain skeptical until you beat another quality team from someplace outside the BSC. Just as a reminder, Weber St. is not the champs of the BSC yet.

Weber St. was 5-6 last year with wins over Sacr St., N. Colorado, Portland State, Idaho State and Ft. Lewis College. These same teams have a combine record of 9-29 so far this year. (Sorry...did not look up their final records from last year...but you can bet they were not great...no smack intended.)

I know......we are not talking about last year, but until you prove yourself in the playoffs......most will remain skeptical.....advance in the playoffs or win the title, then you'll get the respect.

GolfingGriz
October 26th, 2008, 07:43 PM

Relax, the only Weber fan who has posted on this thread said nothing about how good they were. I've seen them play twice against the Montana schools and I was impressed. I'm unsure of how they would stack up against other teams, but I'm guessing pretty well.

dbackjon
October 26th, 2008, 07:53 PM
That's fine, but all you have to do is look at JMU's resume to realize that they have the better victories.

Better victories is totally subjective on your part. Needing a Hail Mary to beat an average team is not good....

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 26th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Better victories is totally subjective on your part. Needing a Hail Mary to beat an average team is not good....

....averagexconfusedx

leatherneck177
October 26th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Maybe Nau just isn't as good as we thought?? It is the fluff.

Could be.

cats2506
October 26th, 2008, 08:22 PM
just a couple of points abour Weber for those of you with ecb (east coast bias)

WSU has 3 games left. PSU at home, psu has been inconsistent and been especially poor on the road, ISU away, ISU is the worst in the BSC, bye week to heal up then EWU at home, toughest game left.

Comparing last years team, last year WSU went through 2 or 3 qb's before finally settling on a freshman (Higgins) that has come along very will. WSU is always big and phisical but they have the other components to go wth it now, QB, WR's, and RB. Their D is Sr heavy and playing diciplined.

WrenFGun
October 26th, 2008, 08:32 PM

Do you even realize how ridiculous it sounds to call Villanova average? They have losses to West Virginia and James Madison on the final play, and wins over Richmond and William and Mary. Teams would die for that resume. You accuse me of ECB here, but I'm more than willing to acknowledge Weber's quality resume, and I've been a strong proponent of Montana's improved schedule, as well. Do yourself a favor and do the same before making comments like that.

AZGrizFan
October 26th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Best team in the Country? Male bovine scat! Not even close.

I saw them yesterday vs. NAU. Weber played well, but not spectacularly. Yes, NAU is a good FCS team and Weber spanked them, but not in the way the best team in the couintry would have.

Best in the west? Weber beat Montana and Montana beat Cal Poly (barely). So best in the west is a claim they might be able to make. But for most of us that actually saw Montana beat Cal Poly, we know that Poly may (and I repeat, may) be the best team of the two, that Poly's two point loss could have easily been a one point win, and that the score should not have even been that close.

I did not see Weber State's impressive win over Montana and do not know the circumstances of it ... but I can guarantee that if Cal Poly were to play Weber State, Weber State would have a very difficult time beating the Mustangs ... certainly more difficult than they had beating NAU. Poly vs. Weber might be close ... but I think the Mustangs would prevail.

100% Spot On. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

AZGrizFan
October 26th, 2008, 08:38 PM

You guys sellin' tickets to that? xeekx

GolfingGriz
October 26th, 2008, 08:39 PM
100% Spot On. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

You think CP would beat us if we played them again?

AZGrizFan
October 26th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Folks we have an unbiased opinion xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
They will get thier chance.

I'm not so sure about that, Bisonbacker. Weber is a mortal lock for the playoffs right now. There's a 50/50 chance SIU doesn't even make the playoffs. They've still got SDSU and WIU to go through. xcoffeex

I Bleed Purple
October 26th, 2008, 08:51 PM

Last year we saw the potential of a great team. Our FBS QB transfer flopped, and it put us in such disarray that the first half of the year killed any hopes of a good year standings wise. The second half of the year exposed our defensive secondary, giving up 68 to PSU and a lot to EWU, both running a pass exclusive offense.

We knew going to this year that we could challenge for the Big Sky. The play calling started to come together last year and has just been amazing this year. Great play calling and well executed by the offense. Last year was the beginning of that. Defensively, we'll still give up big pass plays, but the CB's are better than last year and stop more plays overall. Plus, we're getting better taking the ball away. We've been given a few, but gang tackling actually has players stripping at the ball, something we haven't had in years past.

These upper classmen are all McBride's kids. Been coaching them since they got here with maybe a few fifth year seniors like Derek Johnson.

As for rankings, I'll let JMU fans, App fans, and UM fans crow on about who's best, who has bias, who has seen who, etc. I'll just care about getting to the playoffs and winning four games.

AZGrizFan
October 26th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Last year we saw the potential of a great team. Our FBS QB transfer flopped, and it put us in such disarray that the first half of the year killed any hopes of a good year standings wise. The second half of the year exposed our defensive secondary, giving up 68 to PSU and a lot to EWU, both running a pass exclusive offense.

We knew going to this year that we could challenge for the Big Sky. The play calling started to come together last year and has just been amazing this year. Great play calling and well executed by the offense. Last year was the beginning of that. Defensively, we'll still give up big pass plays, but the CB's are better than last year and stop more plays overall. Plus, we're getting better taking the ball away. We've been given a few, but gang tackling actually has players stripping at the ball, something we haven't had in years past.

These upper classmen are all McBride's kids. Been coaching them since they got here with maybe a few fifth year seniors like Derek Johnson.

As for rankings, I'll let JMU fans, App fans, and UM fans crow on about who's best, who has bias, who has seen who, etc. I'll just care about getting to the playoffs and winning four games.

Weber is 10-2 against FCS competition since they lost to Montana 18-10 last September 29th. They're for real.

AZGrizFan
October 26th, 2008, 09:59 PM

....averagexconfusedx

Jon!!! How COULD YOU speak the truth like that....

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

dbackjon
October 26th, 2008, 10:01 PM
....averagexconfusedx

Yup - their big victories are limited to the CAA. Good enough, but since the overwhelming number of voters on the AGS poll are CAA or SoCon voters, it becomes a self-fulfiling cycle.

Villanova is good because they beat Richmond and Will and Mary, and three mediocre teams

W & M is good because they beat UNH and three mediocre teams

Richmond is good because they beat UMass and Elon

Elon is good because they beat 4 mediocre teams.

Self-fulfilling circle jerk.

And yes, the same logic can be applied to NAU. There are some really good teams - JMU, ASU, Wofford (we will see), Weber, Montana, Cal Poly, UNI, SIU. A bunch of average teams beyond that.

cats2506
October 26th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Yup - their big victories are limited to the CAA. Good enough, but since the overwhelming number of voters on the AGS poll are CAA or SoCon voters, it becomes a self-fulfiling cycle.

Villanova is good because they beat Richmond and Will and Mary, and three mediocre teams

And yes, the same logic can be applied to NAU. There are some really good teams - JMU, ASU, Wofford (we will see), Weber, Montana, Cal Poly, UNI, SIU. A bunch of average teams beyond that.

all true

AZGrizFan
October 26th, 2008, 10:33 PM

You could have stopped right there. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Rob Iola
October 26th, 2008, 10:49 PM

But I thought that the point of this thread was that Weber is the best team in the country? I guess bottom line for me is that you've got to dethrone ASU to claim that title - JMU already has this season, so they get 1st place (for now) - if Weber keeps winning they'll get their bite at the apple, but for now they haven't earned numero uno...

Wolfman
October 26th, 2008, 10:59 PM
You think CP would beat us if we played them again?

I think Poly and Montana would split 5-5 if they played 10 times. Look, to puff up our chests because a kicker misses a FG that he makes 95% of the time is ridiculous. We were plain lucky to win that game, and you should admit that.

Can we beat Poly if we play them again? Of course. But, it would be a complete toss-up.

Wolfman
October 26th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I just became a HUGE Montana fan! xlolx xlolx xlolx

That's because you would be standing in line to get sloppy seconds.... xthumbsupx

FCS Go!
October 26th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Gotta go with ECB on this one. Weber is good and should be top 10 but there is no question that JMU is tops now. App St is a not so distant second. If Weber wins out they'll get their chance in the playoffs. xpeacex

Grizzaholic
October 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM

I am going to have my camera ready. I got some extra skymiles for ya AZ if the Griz win!

Tailbone
October 27th, 2008, 12:50 PM

I wouldn't count on it.
IIRC, Wolfboy reneged on a similar bet/promise in the past.