PDA

View Full Version : Coen Passes 10,000 Yard mark

umassfan
October 25th, 2008, 11:19 PM
In todays game vs Bryant... Liam Coen passed the 10,000 career yard mark. Something only 21 FCS QBs have ever done. Coen today had 389 yards and 5 tds vs Bryant in just one half and one drive.

Congrats Liam Coen! xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

Minuteman87
October 26th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah, what he said.
Not much else to say about this game. Did what we should have against our weakest opponent of the season (not to dis Bryant, they showed some fight, but are a long way from being competitive at the FCS level).

And I wanted to get my 100th post.

EmeryZach
October 26th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Congrats Liam!! Keep it up!! We need some big games down the stretch.

dgreco
October 26th, 2008, 06:52 PM
We need some D down the stretch!xeyebrowx

19 starters out injured doesn't help.

I think our D is good except the DB's. Right now we have WR's playing DB because everyone we have is injured.

Umass74
October 26th, 2008, 06:59 PM
UMass called off the dogs after two series in the second half. We played four quarterbacks and just about everybody on both offense and defense that isn't redshirting.

Col Hogan
October 26th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I got to sit with Liam Coen's dad during the game...even got my picture with him...and pretty good coach in his own right, and an interesting man to talk to...
Congrats to Liam on his UMass record...

I also got to meet to honorable UMass74, a man whose blog is second to none...xthumbsupx

umassfan
October 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I love how only UMass and Brant fans had things to say in this thread. Its not like what he did happens often.

dgreco
October 26th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Kills me to say (played for Hendricken while he was at La Salle), but Liam has a hell of an arm, anyone think he gets consideration for the NFL?

Umass74
October 27th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I've got a 50+ Picasa web album of the game and UMass Band day over on my UMass Football Blog (http://umass74.blogspot.com/).

Check out the new UMass home unis!

dennisdent
October 27th, 2008, 08:02 AM
19 starters out injured doesn't help.

Congrats to Liam.

dgreco--I thought your number of "19 starters out" seemend a little strange. I did a quick review of Bryant's depth charts and the starters (O&D) from the first game against CCSU made-up 70-80% of the starters from the UMass game. Most of the others were on the two-deep for the first game.

If I'm wrong please correct me; but to keep using "19 starters out" when its not true seems weak.xnonono2x

CCSU Game

Bryant Starters

POS ## OFFENSE
LT 50 KRAFKA, Pete
LG 72 MEYERS, Jacob
C 70 TASHJIAN, John
RG 62 GRANDE, Alex
RT 69 LYONS, Ben
TE 80 DIGIOVANI,Tyler
QB 11 GRABER, Jay
FB 48 WOOD, Bryan
RB 23 GAMBLE, Lindsey
WR 7 SOUTH, Vinton
WR 4 BUCKLEY, Ryan

POS ## DEFENSE
DE 66 GAUTHIER, Pete
DT 65 GAUTHIER, Pat
NT 67 REGAN, Andrew
DE 99 SMITH, Don
LB 35 CANDITO, Nick
LB 58 CURCI, Dan
LB 54 POLOMSKI, Paul
CB 25 SUAREZ, John
SS 30 WHYTE, Andre
FS 20 MARTINS, Bryce
CB 2 MORGAN, Michael

UMass Game

Game Starters:
Bryant

POS ## OFFENSE
WR 12 GIFFUNE, Ross
LT 50 KRAFKA, Pete
LG 57 BUNDY, Raymond
C 70 TASHJIAN, John
RG 62 GRANDE, Alex
RT 72 MEYERS, Jacob
TE 80 DIGIOVANI,Tyler
RB 23 GAMBLE, Lindsey
FB 6 BRANCH, Steven
QB 11 GRABER, Jay
WR 1 DINASO, Anthony

POS ## DEFENSE
DE 66 GAUTHIER, Pete
DT 65 GAUTHIER, Pat
NT 67 REGAN, Andrew
DE 99 SMITH, Don
LB 35 CANDITO, Nick
LB 55 RIFFE, Jason
LB 54 POLOMSKI, Paul
CB 20 MARTINS, Bryce
SS 30 WHYTE, Andre
FS 19 LYNCH, Addison
CB 24 McGOWAN, Mike

dgreco
October 27th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Congrats to Liam.

dgreco--I thought your number of "19 starters out" seemend a little strange. I did a quick review of Bryant's depth charts and the starters (O&D) from the first game against CCSU made-up 70-80% of the starters from the UMass game. Most of the others were on the two-deep for the first game.

If I'm wrong please correct me; but to keep using "19 starters out" when its not true seems weak.xnonono2x

CCSU Game

Bryant Starters

POS ## OFFENSE
LT 50 KRAFKA, Pete
LG 72 MEYERS, Jacob
C 70 TASHJIAN, John
RG 62 GRANDE, Alex
RT 69 LYONS, Ben
TE 80 DIGIOVANI,Tyler
QB 11 GRABER, Jay
FB 48 WOOD, Bryan
RB 23 GAMBLE, Lindsey
WR 7 SOUTH, Vinton
WR 4 BUCKLEY, Ryan

POS ## DEFENSE
DE 66 GAUTHIER, Pete
DT 65 GAUTHIER, Pat
NT 67 REGAN, Andrew
DE 99 SMITH, Don
LB 35 CANDITO, Nick
LB 58 CURCI, Dan
LB 54 POLOMSKI, Paul
CB 25 SUAREZ, John
SS 30 WHYTE, Andre
FS 20 MARTINS, Bryce
CB 2 MORGAN, Michael

UMass Game

Game Starters:
Bryant

POS ## OFFENSE
WR 12 GIFFUNE, Ross
LT 50 KRAFKA, Pete
LG 57 BUNDY, Raymond
C 70 TASHJIAN, John
RG 62 GRANDE, Alex
RT 72 MEYERS, Jacob
TE 80 DIGIOVANI,Tyler
RB 23 GAMBLE, Lindsey
FB 6 BRANCH, Steven
QB 11 GRABER, Jay
WR 1 DINASO, Anthony

POS ## DEFENSE
DE 66 GAUTHIER, Pete
DT 65 GAUTHIER, Pat
NT 67 REGAN, Andrew
DE 99 SMITH, Don
LB 35 CANDITO, Nick
LB 55 RIFFE, Jason
LB 54 POLOMSKI, Paul
CB 20 MARTINS, Bryce
SS 30 WHYTE, Andre
FS 19 LYNCH, Addison
CB 24 McGOWAN, Mike

That number is from the school(During the Coaches show he talked about it this week), but I think it is players that started to start that had been injured. For example Martins started the first game, lost his job to Wagstaff and he got injured. So that starter is now out and Bryce got his job back.

Like you see Martins lost his job as FS moved to CB, all the CB's got injured and he is back in. One of the CB's now playing is a WR.

Same goes for Grande, if you look at game 3 I think? He lost his job as an OLine men, the new freshman gets injured and he gets his job back.

I think another thing too like I said is how Martins got back in, about 3 CB's were injured before he got back into the lineup as a starter. So that is 4th deep on the CB chart before he got in

dennisdent
October 27th, 2008, 09:37 AM
That number is from the school(During the Coaches show he talked about it this week), but I think it is players that started to start that had been injured. For example Martins started the first game, lost his job to Wagstaff and he got injured. So that starter is now out and Bryce got his job back.

Like you see Martins lost his job as FS moved to CB, all the CB's got injured and he is back in. One of the CB's now playing is a WR.

Same goes for Grande, if you look at game 3 I think? He lost his job as an OLine men, the new freshman gets injured and he gets his job back.

I think another thing too like I said is how Martins got back in, about 3 CB's were injured before he got back into the lineup as a starter. So that is 4th deep on the CB chart before he got in

I knew that number was wrong because you guys have a good team that's been getting better this season. Any team, at any level that loses 19 starters would get worse over the season. Fine didn't help your dbs by not going to double coverage--quess he was happy to stop the running game instead...xeekx Best of luck the rest of the season.xthumbsupx

ericsaid
October 27th, 2008, 11:45 AM
He should have 20,000 by now. 10,000 isn't enough yards to even start a thread about.

slostang
October 27th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Congrats to Mr. Coen on a great accomplishment.

andy7171
October 27th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Congrats to Towson's Sean SchaffEEERRRRRRR, I mean UMass' Liam Cohen on this great accomplishment!

dennisdent
October 27th, 2008, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=andy7171;1175387]Congrats to Towson's Sean SchaffEEERRRRRRR, I mean UMass' Liam Cohen on this great accomplishment![/QUOTE

The stats that define what Liam has meant most to UMass football:

"Has started the last 45 games in a
row with UMass holding a 34-11 record in those games
since he drew his first start against Albany on Sept. 17,
2005. Of those 11 losses, four games been to FBS teams,
so Coen is 34-7 against FCS teams."

Other than Edwards, what other active FCS QB can match this?

FCS Go!
October 27th, 2008, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=andy7171;1175387]Congrats to Towson's Sean SchaffEEERRRRRRR, I mean UMass' Liam Cohen on this great accomplishment![/QUOTE

The stats that define what Liam has meant most to UMass football:

"Has started the last 45 games in a
row with UMass holding a 34-11 record in those games
since he drew his first start against Albany on Sept. 17,
2005. Of those 11 losses, four games been to FBS teams,
so Coen is 34-7 against FCS teams."

Other than Edwards, what other active FCS QB can match this?

Griz's Berquist is close/comparable. He is something like 28-6 as a starter. 6269yds, 49 Tds. Less games, attempts, yards but their W/L is comparable. Berquist has not started anywhere near 45 straight games though.

dennisdent
October 27th, 2008, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=dennisdent;1175460]

Griz's Berquist is close/comparable. He is something like 28-6 as a starter. 6269yds, 49 Tds. Less games, attempts, yards but their W/L is comparable. Berquist has not started anywhere near 45 straight games though.

Wow--didn't know he's done so well, so fastxthumbsupx --I still remenber the transfer from WSU.

Throwing for a lot yards is nice, but winning, and going to the playoffs is what really sets QBs apart...

bkrownd
October 27th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Check out the new UMass home unis!

Hrm. To echo what has been said before at various schools that have suffered this same marketing department driven fashion mistake since the early 90's - "Since when did our colors become ketchup and black?!?" xnonono2x

Maroon&White
October 27th, 2008, 05:17 PM
It has nothing to do with the marketing department.

Those are also a one time thing this year.